V7 BKA/BDA Voting: March 2020

Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!
backslash

V7 BKA/BDA Voting: March 2020

Post by backslash »

Welcome to March's Best Kill and Best Death Awards. Before we begin, the rules as always:

1. In this thread, you may post as an anonymous guest to select one student to receive the day's Best Kill Award, and one handler to receive the Best Death Award. Prizes will be given out in-character for BKA, consisting of a weapon and food, and out-of-character for BDA, consisting of a quote from their character to be displayed on the board index until the next BDA is awarded.
2. You may only vote while logged out. You can identify yourself in your vote if you want, but you may not claim to be another handler.
3. You may only vote once, and you may not vote for yourself in either category. Staff can see IP addresses, and we will check them if we have reason to suspect shenanigans.
4. You must provide reasoning with your vote for why you think your choices deserve the award. Votes with no reasoning will not be counted.
5. Don't be a jerk. You can explain why some scenes are your favorites without tearing others down.
6. Make sure that your answers are clear; please don't use any formatting that might cause votes to be miscounted or left out.
7. Please be sure to read every kill and death before voting, please vote for your genuine favorites rather than just voting for your friends, and please don't campaign for awards in the chat or otherwise try to influence the vote.

And your Best Kill and Best Death contestants:

BEST KILL AWARD:
Myles Roux for killing Declyn Grayson-Anthis
Erika Stieglitz for killing Tonya Collins
Justin Greene for killing Aliya Kimia Nemati
Ivy Langley for killing Tirzah Foss
Camilla Bell for killing Theo Walterson
Blaise D’Aramitz for killing Julien Leblanc
Justin Greene for killing Sean Leibowitz
Erika Stieglitz for killing Lucas Diaz
Michael Froese for killing Jonah Heartgrave

BEST DEATH AWARD:
Kotorikun for the death of Declyn Grayson-Anthis
Emprexx Plush for the death of Tonya Collins
Deamon for the death of Aliya Kimia Nemati
Slam for the death of Lizzie Lebowski
Ruggahissy for the death of Tirzah Foss
Jan De Witt for the death of Theo Walterson
Endellion for the death of Julien Leblanc
Ohm for the death of Sean Leibowitz
MethodicalSlacker for the death of Lucas Diaz
Ruggahissy for the death of Jonah Heartgrave

Voting will run for five days. Votes will remain hidden until time is up, and the winners will be declared in the following announcement. To see how much time you have remaining, click here.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Dread

Post by Dread »

BKA: Myles Roux for killing Declyn Grayson-Anthis

I enjoy this kill for what it confirms and sets up for Myles character. We've always known he fancies himself a manipulator and is a coward. This scene brings those two aspects to the forefront and solidifies them as his most defining and ugliest traits. He tries to convince Declyn to come with him but when Declyn doesn't go along with him he kills him. I think another good part of the scene is that Myles also makes up a lie to convince himself he was performing a kind act, but it's made clear he is only convincing himself of this due to denial. It could—and hopefully does—lead to some interesting developments with his relationships going forward.

BDA: Ruggahissy for the death of Jonah Heartgrave

I really enjoyed this kill. Almost every part of it is carefully constructed to fit the characters involved and how their stories have intersected. Jonah dies from a character trait we've seen displayed from his very first thread. It adds this air of inescapable tragedy to the entire thing, as you know that even if Jonah didn't die here, he would have died in a similar way somewhere down the line. There are a lot of little details in the thread that also just add to the scene and help fit Jonah's character. The idea of the victim comforting the killer and taking his mind off what he has done is also fun and it leads in to Jonah just enjoying learning about marine life as he still learns and finds beauty in the world as he finally passes on like he believes his should have long ago. (which also is a nice twist on the classic character suddenly being happy and content with their death trope we see quite often).
The Wizard Of oz

Post by The Wizard Of oz »

BKA

Gonna go Ivy Langley for the murder of Tirzah Foss. There was a lot of good scenes this month but I also felt that there was a lot of emotional inequity in a lot of them and that leant itself to either the killer or the victim grabbing more of the spotlight as opposed to a more shared story. For BDA, I think individual performance is so strong that it isn't a problem--but for BKA I felt a bit more difficulty in picking one person to rule 'em all. I'm going to go with Ivy because I think the scene between her and Tirzah was a good collaborative effort between them. I started off the thread in my reading thinking that Ivy was a bit of a weaker part in the thread, especially in the early part with the quipping--but as the scene developed and went on and both Ivy and Tirzah had more of their humanities stripped away, I became more and more in favor of the story. I think it carried with itself a good sense of tension and dramatics and I enjoyed the violence as being both OTT and stuck within the realms of these two small teenage girls who can't fight.

Special shout outs to backslash with Myles and Blizzard with Cam as I think both of those kills showed great individual development and a bravery in storytelling--though both in different ways.

BDA

Gonna go with Jonah Heartgrave because he put my heart in the grave. This scene, is beautiful in it's simplicity and in terms of individual performance, I think a masterclass in setting up themes throughout a characters arc and then bookending and closing them with gusto and class. Jonah's self sacrificing nature, present to the very end--but also the root of that self sacrifice. Jonah is someone who was faced with their mortality early on in life, prior to the island and having already faced and accepted the finite nature of his life--blessed with wisdom that a lot of these kids simply do not have. It was tragic, it was sad...but ultimately it was very poignant and calming and peaceful. I felt that even though I was upset about losing him and worried about the aftermath for Arizona...that Jonah was okay with death. He was ready for it and had been for a long time. I have a jealousy for the people who pray and genuinely believe. I think it's a great showcase of faith to be able to look death in the eye and instead be happy about your life, even in the most traumatic and tragic circumstances. The world is a pretty dark place right now and it may seem silly, but Jonah's acceptance of death and appreciation of the life and people around him in his demise...that gave me both security and comfort. I think it was a wonderful death. There are issues and nitpicks maybe with Michael's involvement and the sincerity of his change of heart...but when it comes to Jonah's part in this? *kisses fingers* Amazing.
Sugar Honey Icy

Post by Sugar Honey Icy »

Okay, gonna keep this simple simple and short sweet. Though everyone effing killed it this round (torture and durian dunking and people paying for other people's sins) my BKA goes to Myles Roux for killing Declyn Grayson-Anthis.

Shooting someone you adore as a betrayal and leaving them calling out for you as they expire, is a sad and tragic affair. I love it. I love the suffering and want to see Myles punished/rewarded further for causing it, because I am a messy bitch that lives for drama.

My... bonus shout out for deaths goes to that fever dream that Emprexx Plush pulled out for Tonya, but my BDA goes to Ruggahissy for the death of Jonah Heartgrave. My vote history dictates that I love when a person makes their death someone else's problem... and Jonah's death is definitely going to be Mikey's.

He's so serene, even down to the blue death tag, and it's super good at conveying someone who was at peace with the concept of their death long before the island came into play. Good show, everyone.
backslash

Post by backslash »

23 hours and 50 minutes for votes.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
impossible

Post by impossible »

This is freaking impossible this time around.

I've read them all and I still can't pick. Usually it's a tough choice between 2 or 3 per category. This time, I'm stuck with changing my mind between almost all of them. I want to do honorable mentions here, but they're basically all good. There's literally one death/kill scene in this bunch that I don't like, and I like ALL of the others. So I'll refrain from honorable mentions but just know that I probably liked your scene a lot. SOTF can write.

BKA: Erika for killing Lucas - this one's like, barely on top for me, because it's the culmination of a story that I thought was really effective and steered the direction of a lot of people - Lucas and his various iterations of the Clout Gang have basically always been focused on finding Erika and exacting vengeance, and I think there was something really powerful about having him come oh-so-close to achieving his ultimate goal and failing at it. Erika getting hit too, and finally showing us a chink in her armor is going to have repercussions going forward. Great scene.

BDA: Jonah's death is a masterclass by three handlers who know their way around the written word. That whole scene had me captivated from start to finish and I think you all did incredible jobs with it. So for me this time around, it's Ruggahissy for the death of Jonah Heartgrave. Rugga had to do WORK this time around, and I think it shows very well. That's how I'm feeling at this particular moment, though I'm sure it'll change.
Naruto

Post by Naruto »

BKA: Camilla for Theo

Lots of good kills this time around, but Camilla's turn is notable both for catching me off-guard and for still feeling natural with her character. From the beginning of the game, Camilla's been one of the steadier hands, holding things together and acting as morale for her group. Indeed, it seems so recently that she talked down Diego from doing something reckless and destructive. And yet, the whole time, she's been getting the short end of the stick again and again, seeing as each friend drops or is pulled away from her. For all that Camilla has done what she can, she's had precious little personal control.

This brings us to the kill scene. Diego wanders offs, with promises to return... and then he doesn't. And all that's happened, Camilla's big moment of success and having her faith restored, it's swept away just as Declyn's death is announced, and things just fall apart for her. About halfway through the thread, I began to suspect that Camilla would be killing Theo, but I thought it'd come from a moment of misunderstanding, or a big argument, or... something like that. And all of those ideas are toyed with, but ultimately what does it is just the final realization of how fundamentally bad the situation is, how broken their lives are beyond repair. It feels right as it hits, but you never see it coming... and neither does Theo. Because ultimately, Camilla isn't killing him because she hates him, or to further her chances for survival, but because it's the only way she can see to take ownership of the situation and ease it towards its conclusion... even if her conclusions aren't necessarily lucid or correct.

BDA: MS for Lucas

This was kinda agonizing because there were a lot of really good deaths in contention, but ultimately what really works for me about Lucas' conclusion is how it works in the context of his entire arc. Lucas' story isn't really about success. If anything, it's a story of grabbing desperately onto a reason to carry on, but then seeing that excuse morph and grow until in some ways it drowns out the carrying-on part. Lucas finds a group and builds up his situation and is actually making something of himself, but the lure of his mission to take down Eirka always threatens to pull him away. And why not? Ty wanders off and it works fine. Princess and Kate wander off and it works fine? So it's only fair, right? I feel like that's the sort of thing Lucas would think about the situation.

But it's not fine, because Lucas is as always his own worst enemy. It's not about the goal, really--or, if it is, the goal isn't stopping Erika. It's getting revenge. And even then, Lucas can never really stop thinking, can never quite commit until the last second, and of course it's just not enough. It's a muddled and disappointing result, but that's precisely what it should be because it was always kind of a muddled and disappointing venture. I'm absolutely bummed we didn't get some more time with Lucas, who quietly rose to be one of my favorite kids in the version from a starting point in Pregame where I at first thought he was an NPC and Milo was the character who was going into V7. It's not a flashy and flourishy conclusion, but it's rock steady on the tone and themes that made Lucas such a unique and joyous read all version.
RLEMIH

Post by RLEMIH »

BKA: Cam for Theo. Cam's turn here is great, not what I expected out of her but it's such a deliberate way to murder somebody with the fucked up implication that she's gonna keep going for this. Well let's throw her something to work with other than her own two hands and see how that goes.

BDA: Rugga for Jonah. The set-up of this scene is a little hard to follow for me but I enjoy where Jonah ends up a lot. He's sort of grief counseling Michael through murdering him and by extension doing the same with the reader which communicates both that Jonah is very at peace with death and that all of us never deserved him. Goodnight you eldritch prince.
dlymbd

Post by dlymbd »

It's one of those fun times where my winners are gonna come from the same scene! Exciting.

My BKA nod goes to Myles Roux. This is the culmination of a major part of Myles's character from day 1—knowing that he needs to kill someone, and trying to prepare himself to do it. He falters at crucial moments, relying on others rather than acting himself and, in a moment where he has someone he despises (Julien) at his mercy, he fails to act, still not ready to kill. When he finally gets the strength to do it it isn't in a situation he expects; he isn't being attacked, he isn't desperate. There's a complex combination of factors here—genuine love and pity for Declyn is mixed in with Myles's petty anger at not getting what he wants, not being followed or listened to, and underneath even that is the simple fact that Myles will never get an easier opportunity to notch his one kill than this. It all adds up to a powerful scene where Myles finally takes matters into his own hands, and suffers for it.

Honorable mention to Camilla Bell, the saddest of all grandmas, who carries a ton of emotional weight in her scene with Theo and really feels like she's carrying the weight of her dead friends on her back.

BDA, then, obviously goes to Declyn Grayson-Anthis. While Myles's part in this scene is an important turning point in his character arc, Declyn's is pure heartbreak. He is trusting to a fault throughout the game, and he has no reason not to trust Myles when he wants to speak to him alone. The two have a history that reads clearly in this scene, with their easy trust in each other and Myles's feelings of betrayal at Declyn not abandoning his allies for him. Declyn trusts Myles not to hurt him, but once that trust is broken, he still trusts him to stay, to at least provide him a hand to hold as he dies. He knows he's dying but begs not to die alone and afraid, wanting Myles's comfort despite him being his murderer. And he is denied even that much. His death is one of the saddest in the version; to die alone is one thing, but to die with someone you loved, someone who killed you, feet away and not acknowledging your presence—that's wildly painful to read.

Honorable mentions to Jonah Heartgrave and Tonya Collins for the tragic grace of a sad boy too good for this sinful earth and the utterly dark reality of a child being forced to grow up never knowing a mother lost to terrorist violence, respectively.
WOWOWOW

Post by WOWOWOW »

BDA: Tonya Collins

I wanted to give the BDA vote to Tonya Collins this month because I really liked the idea behind this death and I thought it was executed very well on her end. I really like the idea of an entire thread taking place in a character's nightmare that lets us know more about some of her insecurities and fears via horrifying terror house. I also really love the very last post of this that was the death post. It was haunting for it to switch to the perspective of her daughter and what she would endure into the future and even into old age as a result of the events that happened in this thread. A very cool concept that I think was utilized for a uniquely chilling ending.

BKA: Camilla Bell

I wasn't sure who I was going to vote for for this one with many great choices. I'd like to give an honorable mention here to Myles and his deception but in the end I've decided to go with Cam. It starts with a very sweet and simple little scene of some of the remaining gardening club members that reinforces how much they mean to Cam. When she loses two at once (and I think her more favored ones) it snaps her like a brittle twig. The exchange between her and Theo feels very real and the build up of emotions is coherent and elegant. Her choice is tragic, but I feel like I understand why she did it and Theo's resignation paired with her "That's the end" attitude are complimentary and very sad. I liked this one a lot.
Ew, David

Post by Ew, David »

Best Kill Award: My vote for Best Kill goes to Ivy Langley for the murder of Tirzah Foss. I loved this fight. It's so raw and brutal, and such a crazy series of events. It's like a Bad Girls Club fight turned for the fatal, and I really like how it's Ivy finally crossing the line into murder. The fact that she lost an eye is gonna be a cool aesthetic going forward for her, and I think gaining an extra weapon (and food) will add to that. I loved this scene, and I think Fenris and Rugga deserve props for it.

Best Death Award: My vote for this month's Best Death is for Ruggahissy for the death of Jonah Heartgrave. Not gonna lie, I didn't thing Mikey Frog could be in a death scene like this, but he and Jonah played off really well. Obviously, this vote is for Jonah, so let me talk about how great his final moments were. I liked that he did something heroic to save Darlene from Michael's attack, and that he could have a cordial final conversation with his killer. Jonah's post had great imagery and emotion, and I think it was a good end for him.
doot

Post by doot »

BKA: Camilla Bell for killing Theo Walterson

I’m always a fan of scenes where it’s really clear no one had to die, but conflicts of personality and the right set of circumstances make it seem inevitable. I’ve been really enjoying Blizzard’s writing this version and I’m excited to see what’s next for Camila, it’s an interesting turn.

BDA: Ruggahissy for the death of Jonah Heartgrave

This one pulled a few heartstrings. I think that deaths are often intentionally or unintentionally sort of closing remarks on the nature of a character. In this sense, peace and good nature came through in Jonah’s last moments and I think it really rounded his story out well. Good job!

Post by Guest »

BKA - I have to give it to Camilla Bell for the murder of Theo Walterson. Thought it was a good, intense, emotional scene and I'd also like to see Cam's reaction for being rewarded for her actions.

BDA - Giving it to Ruggahissy for Jonah's death. Lots of good content and choices from this set, but ultimately have to give it to Jonah for how strangely calming of a read his final posts are.
tiredtrain

Post by tiredtrain »

hi hello im running on 5 hours of sleep CHOO CHOO

BDA: My BDA vote goes to Kotorikun for the death of Declyn Grayson-Anthis. This death is heartbreaking, honestly. It's a generally morally good character who gets killed by someone he considered his ally, and he bleeds out knowing that his friend, the person who did it, is just watching. Kotori is incredibly good at selling Declyn's frustration and confusion and fear and sadness, and the death is dragged out enough for you to feel really bad for Declyn, but not enough that it overstays its welcome. I don't really have much more to say about this death other than it's incredibly sad and good job to both backslash and kotori. Also both of you deserve to go to jail

BKA: My BKA vote goes to Ivy Langley for killing Tirzah Foss. I really really like this scene on both ends and I wish I could hand out votes to both handlers but Alas. I just like the progression of the scene from this fight with this sort of manic energy, to the back-to-back wall talking scene!! to!!!! the mirror fight scene!!!!! the eyes!!!!!! Like, this scene goes places. It shifts mood a lot, but it honestly pulls off its transitions well. And, I love Ivy's chaotic energy in this scene. She's confronting her.......ex's? killer, and she's trying to confront all the emotions she's kept bottled in place for so long while also fighting for her life. I just Really Really love this scene.

Also shoutouts to Tonya's death and Jonah's death and Cam/Theo I'm sorry I couldn't give votes to all you guys :(((((( Tonya's death was amazing at capturing dream logic and felt very nightmarish. The deathpost is also heartbreaking. Jonah's death was oddly hopeful, and the blue death tag was a really nice touch. I enjoyed the cute Darlene/Jonah interaction and Michael's sheer anger upon entering. Also Cam and Theo had a really good progression, the breakdown between them felt believable, and it's both handlers' best work I feel.

Return to “Contest Voting”