V7 BKA/BDA Voting: July 2019

Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!
some guy

Post by some guy »

BKA: Tyrell Lahti for the death of Christine Bright
Reason: I would basically vote for the two kills as a tandem if it were the option, but I think the killing of Christine was the one that really ends up getting my vote. Tyrell is obviously scared and not used to being on the receiving end of a fight to the point where he feels helpless. I feel like this calls back to the Gifts thread in which he goes for the nuclear option when he feels as though his back is against the wall. A lot of what he does wrong tends to happen when he's afraid or fearful, and so now that everyone's going to know that he's a dual killer, I am curious to see if he just embraces this or tries to fight against it. This was also novel and pretty gruesome and I liked that. So points to Tyrell. Nice work, Shiola and dmboogie.

BDA: Cicada for the death of Beryl Mahelona
Reason: sometimes handlers really give something offbeat or unusual a shot. Often, it doesn't land. Beryl's ellipses landed HARD for me and I think Cicada did a truly wonderful job giving us a unique death that i think made a lot of people feel a lot of different things. Nice work Cic.

Post by Guest »

BKA Tyrell Lahti for Killing Christine Bright

BDA Fenris for the Death of Dante Valerio

This vote has been disqualified due to lack of reasoning.
Punny Fun

Post by Punny Fun »

BKA: Quinn Abert for killing Violet Quinn

Quinn currently has this feeling around here where you think you might know where she's going but there's enough mystery in her motives that it's hard to say for sure. This kill shows that quite well, with Quinn both at once seeming to enjoy the power she feels but also playing it smart and being careful. When you add to that the interesting, slightly spooky atmosphere Quinn herself brings to scenes that puts this up there as a highlight of day one and makes me want to see so much more of her.

Sometimes all a character needs is that memorable death. I enjoyed the experimental aspects of Beryl's death as she relieved past events and critiqued herself and her behavior during them. There was enough unique and different stuff here if you enjoy that but it also kept it optional and the death works without it as well. It's a shame we won't get to see more of Beryl in V7 but Cicada went all out for this death and the effort shows. It's well-crafted, emotional and sometimes funny in a way that does Beryl the character justice.
greenbae

Post by greenbae »

BKA: Justin Greene for killing Benedict Murray. There's so many good options this round but Justin brings something completely different to the table. He doesn't want to hurt anyone and he's very conflicted about what he has to do, but he has to do it. He embraces the fact that he's in a death game now and standing around wringing hands is just going to get him killed. Ya boy wants to live and that means other people have to die. I'm so interested in seeing where he's going to go from here, and out of everyone up I would love to see his reaction to being called the best killer the most.

BDA: Fenris, Dante Valerio. I think there are people who spotted this death as a possibility as soon as he got shot the first time, yet that inevitability doesn't take any of the punch out of his end because it doesn't emphasize shock. We see a lot of naive victims in SotF and it's consistently pretty heartbreaking, but the ones that get me worst are the ones who can't comprehend what's happening to them right down to the very end. Down to his last moment Dante thinks he's in the company and protection of friends who only have his best interests at heart. A person like Dante never should have been here in the first place, and Fenris sells that extremely well without leaning on any hysterics from him.
DLYMBD

Post by DLYMBD »

*BKA: Blaise D'Aramitz.

This was a pretty hard one for me, shout outs to Paloma, Tirzah and Quinn for making me take forever to actually make this decision. What set Blaise's kill apart from me was their mindset going into it. It was a "mercy kill" in their own mind but more than that it was an expression of their inherent selfishness, of how people are toys to them that can be discarded as soon as they lose their luster. And yet they still manage to be self-righteous about it and cut Camila down verbally, like they've deluded themselves into earnestly believing they did the right thing. It's so fucked up and weird and difficult to understand but trying to understand feels like a this-way-there-be-madness sort of thing. Blaise is just a whole crazy thing onto themselves and this kill set them on what I can only imagine will be a chaotic track for the rest of the game.

*BDA: Beryl Mahelona.

Beryl makes good on all of the affection built up for her both IC and OOC with an emotionally devastating death scene. A big part of why this works so well is her surroundings; the huge number of people in this thread actually works in the death's favor as reactions come in all forms from all directions and Beryl can only lay there, barely able to take it in as she succumbs to blood loss and her paralysis, and eventually to her mercy kill at her ex-boyfriend's hands. I liked the extra conceit of her rewritten memories with the Google Docs, but honestly I would have given the death the same props without it. It was the last line, and the idea of Beryl unable to let go of the person she's supposed to be up through her final moments despite how badly she was suffering, that really sealed it for me.
anonymous frog

Post by anonymous frog »

BKA: Ty's kills are a close 2nd but Ima have to give it to Tirzah killing Toby for being the only outright murder with the kind of interpersonal drama and mistrust thing I feel the terrorists try to encourage w/ BKAs

BDA: BERYL >:'C because I cried irl after reading the stuff in the google docs shut up im not kermit you're kermit
YouKnowMe

Post by YouKnowMe »

BKA: Blaise d'Aramitz for killing Dante Valerio. Blaise was very good at being convinced that they would take Dante out with a mercy kill and it did not look like that in my eyes. But Blaise was trying to justify their actions in the scene and they truly thought that they were putting Dante at peace. Although, their thoughts are confused at times, I really think it is a good kill scene as it is one of my favourites that really got my heart feeling heavy and sad and it is one of the scenes that stuck with me the most in my mind.

BDA: Fenris for death of Dante Valerio. Dante's death was one of my favourites because of how he was written in his death scene and how he believe to the end that he was with someone that he believe that he could trust. He was one of the most pure and innocent victims of the game and just to see him die in a way was something that effective in my mind. Fenris always does a good job at making me attached to characters and I definitely felt that Dante was definitely one of those characters in such a short time.
jajvert

Post by jajvert »

BKA: Blaise. Their mindset has fascinated me the entire time they've been on the island, and this "mercy kill" only served to confirm how fucked up it is in a very chilling way. The scene felt like the logical culmination of Blaise and Dante's dynamic on the island; a relationship I had been thoroughly enjoying from the beginning.

BDA: Beryl. Goddamn, Cic, you went all out for this one, huh? Even just taking her final posts by themselves, the prose is beautiful and heart-wrenching with an absolutely fuckin' killer last line, but the Google Doc sections just knock it out of the park. Medium breaks are a tricky thing to pull off but it feels entirely earned here - it's a fresh and clever take on someone's life flashing before their eyes; and we got a real sense of.. interiority, I guess? Seeing Beryl's regrets, finally without the layer of abstraction and deliberate pretense that shrouds their narration.

Honorable Mentions:

If it hadn't been for Beryl, Dante would have easily taken BDA for me. I love one (1) boy, and I legit felt emotions over his demise, especially how trusting he was even with a bullet in his head. He and Blaise carried equal weight in their scene, and it wouldn't have been nearly as effective if both parties hadn't been completely on-point.

Paloma/Abel got the version started with a visceral bang, and I wish I could've gone into that scene blind. Seeing everyone freak the fuck out in chat was golden tho.

Quinn is terrifying and awful I kinda love her?

Tirzah/Toby was another solid take on the whole "preemptive 'mercy' kill" thing.
Spooky Vote Ghost

Post by Spooky Vote Ghost »

Vote for Best Kill Award:
Tirzah Foss, for killing Toby Underwood.

Vote for Best Death Award:
Beryl Mahelona.

This vote has been disqualified due to lack of reasoning.

Post by Guest »

Hello I am here to vote.

BKA: Blaise d'Aramitz. This was far and away my favorite of the kills this round. There is a lot going on here on Blaise's end which makes it a fascinating read and also character insight. There are about 5 different reasons or more they make the decision that they do and they are all informative to a part of Blaise's malfunctions, all of which are interesting. The atmosphere of the kill is very neat, an intimate nighttime kill which is by in large Blaise pondering over all of their obsessions that lead to their decision. I'd like to quickly make an honorable mention to Justin, who had what I felt was a very realistic panic and just decided to take a swing made the more fun by the fact he had no idea it would lead to a death.

BDA: Dante Valerio. This was tough and it came down to Dante and Beryl. Dante had less material to work with as he was drunk and asleep with the big focus on Blaise while Beryl had a much more in-depth look at her specific perspective as her death post and some beautiful writing. I ended up giving it to Dante because it was still emotionally effecting, a good conclusion to his arc and his scene was cohesive so this is an endorsement for the scene overall in addition to a nice conclusion of his arc and emotional writing, even though the focus was less on him and more on his killer.
Spooky Vote Ghost

Post by Spooky Vote Ghost »

Vote for Best Kill Award:
Tirzah Foss, for killing Toby Underwood - for narrative composition, effective suddenness and insight into the mindset of the killer actually bearing fruit and what happens when it does.

Vote for Best Death Award:
Beryl Mahelona - For the prosaic flair that always comes with Cicada's unique touch, and a highly fitting conclusion to character.
A Wild Bish

Post by A Wild Bish »

BKA: Tirzah Foss for killing Toby Underwood
Rugga has always had an knack for telling such expansive stories with such concision and precision, and I think that work absolutely continues in Tirzah’s kill. The seeming casualness of Tirzah pulling the trigger, followed by the waves of regret after the fact help to paint Tirzah’s mental state vividly, and set up her continued existence on the island quite interestingly.

So, okay I really really do know Cic hates praise, but I can’t stop gushing about how much Beryl’s death moves me, even as someone who has barely read the rest of her time on the island. Strange, alien but at the same time so, so human, Beryl is otherworldly without being uncanny, and her death Driver’s on all of those fronts, culminating in something that does so well what early deaths can often fail to do - provide closure.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

That's time. Approving votes shortly.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador

Return to “Contest Voting”