Maggie Heartgreeder

Events from characters' pasts that occurred outside the timeframe of our current "Past" (be it the day before or nearly a year prior) are posted here. This forum served as a repository for posts ported from the V1 board or summaries of characters as written by their handlers. It has been replicated for the sake of completeness. All IC posts contained here may be read elsewhere in the V2 Pregame archive, often in more complete form. Summaries are unique to this board.
Megami†

Maggie Heartgreeder

Post by Megami† »

Original Post Title: "Another Day in Homeroom..."

((Note: Large portions of this roleplay not directly concerning Maggie have been edited out.))

Posted by: Megami Jun 13 2006, 11:28 PM
The door to Mrs. Saranna's room 225 creaked open slightly as a figure entered the doorway, haphazardly trying to balance her books and what appeared to be a note as she attempted to force the door open. The blonde struggled with the door a moment before making it through and casting a quick glance around the room. It wasn't like Maggie Heartgreeder to be late for class. In fact, it wasn't like Maggie to be late for anything. Thankfully, it appeared to have been a relatively uneventful class period.

Approaching Mrs. Saranna's desk, Maggie proceeded to sit her books down and produce a note from Mrs. Pfeiffer, the school's music teacher, presenting a reason for her tardiness to class. The whole had been bustling with activity since the announcement that Hobbsborough's drama department would be doing a production of "Grease". Of course, there were a few songs that required backup singers, and Maggie was one of the unlucky few chosen from the school choir to assist with these parts. They'd been practicing today, and it had resulted in her being late for class.

"Sorry."

Maggie said apologetically, but Mrs. Saranna all but shrugged it off, signing the note, sticking it inside her desk, and proceeding to wave Maggie to her seat. Obligingly, Maggie grabbed the books she had all but dropped onto Mrs. Saranna's desk and headed toward her seat in the back of the room, casting a half glance to the crew of theatre members who had gathered around the room and casting a faint smile at anyone who might've been looking back.

She'd been in class with these people all year, but Maggie was a rather shy individual by nature. Simply jumping into their conversation certainly wasn't her cup of tea, and she didn't make a habit of butting in to other people's business. Bypassing a few occupied desks, Maggie finally flopped down into her own desk and almost immediately began fiddling with the sleeve of her crimson colored Renaissance style shirt. It was going to be one of those days... people were so involved in the upcoming play that no real school work would be done. Really, though, that's how it had been since St. Andrews had merged with that public high school.

Not concerning herself with what appeared to be idle conversation across the room, Maggie flipped open her notebook to an unoccupied page and almost immediately began scrolling writing out across the blank page of paper. She being lost in her own little world right now, Maggie had no idea of the happenings that were going on around the school, nor did she have any idea of what had just occurred in the girl's restroom.

Her attention turned up for a moment at the sounds of sirens echoing outside, but she almost immediately shrugged off the idea, assuming it was just a bypassing ambulance or police car. Returning to her writing, Maggie couldn't help but continue to listen to the sirens as they seemed to get louder and louder. Had something happened? It wasn't really unusual anymore, the school had been brooding with tension since the merger, fights erupted all the time but... one serious enough that an ambulance had to be called? Instead of asking her fellow classmates about the situation, Maggie simply tried to purge the thought from her head, and instead returned once again to the page that was slowly starting to become full of words and doodles.  

Posted by: Lien Jun 17 2006, 10:08 PM
This classroom is becoming too nosy for my own good. Really now, Kasumi is too worked up over everything. Has to be the religious fervor. Yoko acts the same damn way around her little shrine. As if it will save her from what she brought upon herself.

Mai was mulling around in her thoughts, a rather vacant expression, seemingly provoked by her desire to separate from Paris', dominating her features. Neither interested in the conversation or the newcomers in general, she waited for the others to spark up some topic of discussion she could amuse herself with.

It wasn't long as she waited on the top of the desk, her eyes staring at Burton's face with no real focus on him as a part of her thoughts, when a alarm sounded.

At first Mai thought it was the earthquake drill, to which she let a puzzled look come upon her face.

Since when do they have those drills here?

The real reason dawned on her, and she could only recall the alarm once, last year, when there was a scare not unlike Santana or Granite Hills in California at the school.

Lock down.

The teacher looked almost as disturbed as Mai felt as she stood to look through the glass window hole of the door. A look of dread spread across her features as she fidgeted across the room, yelling all sorts of fanatical things around the classroom, some of those adding to the effect that there was something extremely wrong.

Did she not just hear about the dead girl in the classroom? It's not the apocalypse, it's just an alarm.

Finally the teacher managed to say what she was supposed to the minute the alarm rang.

"Everyone under your desks! Stay there until we find out what's going on!"  

Posted by: MooCow Jun 21 2006, 05:04 PM
Taylor looked at his friend and smiled kindly before speaking, "Gigi calm down, I don't have the slightest clue what's going on but I'm sure everything's going to be fine. I bet this has something to do with Kim. If she was murdered we'll probably be on lockdown until they can find her murderer."

Taylor wasn't as confident about the situation as he sounded but he had to be strong for Gigi.

Taylor found himself wishing he were close enough to talk to Maggie about the whole situation. Maggie and Taylor had been best friends for a long time. Lately the two hadn't been hanging out as much at school though and this made Taylor sad. Taylor had become much more outgoing and sociable ever since his surgery and this had caused his popularity to skyrocket to the top of the sophomore heirarchy. Unlike Paris though, people actually liked Taylor. People only sucked up to Paris because he could be the ultimate twat. Of course Taylor would have never let Paris know he thought this. The two were polar opposites but social equals none the less. Taylor had several one ups on Paris, but the leader of the so called Populars was not someone the pretty boy prince of Hobbsborough's sophomore set wanted to take on.

Looking at Maggie he sighed and looked forward to having a chance to talk with her that night. The two still called one another each evening. They'd talk for hours about homework, boys and life. Taylor was ever greatful that the two still had that. He didn't want to lose Maggie.

Taylor remembered the times not so long ago when the two would share secrets no one else could ever know. Sure back then no one had given Taylor a second glance, but having one true friend was better than the dozens of two faced people he found himself spending time with now.

GiGi was different at least. She seemed to genuinely pursue a friendship with him. Taylor was greatful for people like that. Popularity could be so overrated sometimes.

Always worrying about what to wear, looking perfect, saying the right thing to keep people happy. Still, the attention he received wasn't half bad. Being President of your class had it's ups and downs.  

Posted by: Kris Jun 21 2006, 05:10 PM
Gigi smiled at the reassurance. "You know i don't understand why people have a problem against Kim. I mean sure she is conieted but she wasn't bad enough to be killed for it..." she said a little nervous about the whole thing. "Maybe its someone you dosn't like her, one of the unpopulars who are always being put down by Kim..." she suggested.

Gigi of course had no idea the true fate of Kim. And she probably will not know ever.  

Posted by: Megami Jun 22 2006, 09:59 PM
The ringing of the alarm echoing throughout the school building startled Maggie Heartgreeder out of her daydream as the teacher who had been so calm and serene a moment ago began flailing around the room wildly, staring in an almost paranoid manner out the door, and instructing the students in her classroom to duck underneath the desk. While many of the students were scurrying to find a desk to hide under, Maggie couldn't help but notice out of the corner of her eye the groups of students who hadn't gone for cover.

What was going on, anyway? The alarm didn't seem to ring a bell for Maggie. Looking rather puzzled, she took a moment to try and figure out what it was? Not a fire drill, that much was for sure. They'd have been evacuated from the building. Tornado drill? In New Jersey? It was sunny outside, it surely had nothing to do with the weather? Bomb threat? That seemed to be the only possibility, maybe they couldn't leave the school because of a bomb threat outside or something.

Quickly realizing that she was supposed to have been ducking for cover for one reason or another, Maggie practically dove underneath the nearest free desk. However, the desk wasn't as free as the blonde-haired girl had expected it to be, and she found herself colliding with another student who had apparently dove for the same unoccupied shelter.

"I'm so sorry!" she apologized quickly, "... What on earth is going on?"

Now, to some, it might have been a stupid question. However, Maggie hadn't been in the classroom until a few moment prior to the lockdown alarm sounding, and she was completely unaware of the fact that Kim Jones-Larame had met her untimely end in the girl's restroom only minutes before. Casting a nervous glance at the girl occupying the underside of the desk with her, Maggie's eyes slowly turned toward the door.  

Posted by: Lien Jun 24 2006, 02:09 AM
The siren is like a jackhammer to Mai's temples, and she almost welcomed the pain from her shins as they met the tiled floor. Her tall stature was hardly anything to fit under the public school desks, but she made the best of the situation by sticking her neck and head under the table, thinking, What good would this do anyone in a shooting, besides make you a non-moving target?

Good news was, there wasn't a shooting, just a faster than anticipated reaction to the young blonde's death. Bad news, Mai wasn't alone with her thoughts like she had hoped to be.

"I'm so sorry!"

"Oh," Mai let the crimson color plague her cheeks as she tilted her head to view her peer rather frantically trying to gather why they were doing a mock impression of a nuclear warhead drill, "Sorry about that, looks like we're both trying to take cover under this little thing."

She lifted her arm to tap on the bottom of the desk to show how flimsy the wood actually was, before taking the girl's question into consideration.

Her voice became hushed as she moved closer under the desk, almost as if no one else in the class had known about the situation, "Someone died, in the girl's bathroom. Kim."  

Posted by: Megami Jun 24 2006, 02:25 AM
A nervous laugh escaped Maggie's lips as her fellow classmate, Mai Oshinari, commented on the rather flimsy build of the desk they were both currently huddled underneath. The girl most definitely had a point. In the event of a shooting, tornado, nuclear holocaust, or whatever was going on at Hobbsborough High School, the cheaply made desks, obviously another cut to the school budget, weren't going to do much to prevent another casualty.

As Mai scooted closer to her underneath the desk to fill her in on the secret concerning the ongoing sirens, Maggie's eyebrows raised slightly. She was quite curious, but in the same respect, she wasn't sure if she wanted to know. Her fears were confirmed as Mai blurted out the incident that had caused the current panic-stricken state of Hobbsborough High.

"Someone died, in the girl's bathroom. Kim."

Now, common sense would tell even the dimmest person in the room that Kim Jones-Larame had not died of natural causes. The girl was only sixteen years old, and she'd been so full of life and so energetic only moments before when she had come bounding into the room the choir had occupied and retrieved the cast list for the upcoming play.

Maggie's eyes widened at the thought of it. There was no way that Kim could have possibly died any sort of natural death in the short span since she had last seen the girl. So what'd that leave? Some freak accident where Kim had slipped, fallen, and managed to land in just the right place with just enough force to kill her? That was highly unlikely.

"She... she died? How?"

A wave of panic struck the platinum-haired girl but she made an effort to keep her emotions in check. The thought of a school shooting immediately came into Maggie's thoughts. After all, why would they be under lockdown if it had just been some sort of accident? This whole thing didn't make any sense, and Maggie certainly failed to see why some of the students continued to stand around as if nothing had happened and it was just another ordinary day in class.  

Posted by: MooCow Jun 27 2006, 02:26 PM
Taylor listened to Gigi and thought for a moment before speaking, "I doubt Kim would have killed herself your right. I remember her telling me once that she was severely allergic to certain medications. Maybe her death was accidental. Maybe she took something that her system couldn't handle. Still I don't know murder is much more likely. Obviously it couldn't be any of us though. None of us have left the room or been gone since this morning when school started except for Maggie."

Yeah right Maggie Heartgreeder is a living Saint and my best friend... I think I know her well enough to be sure she didn't murder anyone.

Taylor wanted desperately to believe that his schoolmates or a member of the Hobbsborough faculty were incapable of the murder of Kim Jones-Larame, but he was far from naive and the more he thought about it the more sure he became.

Mai was the last person with Kim... it makes sense... but Mai... no I have to stop thinking these thoughts. Mai is one of my friends too. And here I am thinking she could have killed her own best friend. Best friends can't kill eachother... who could there best friend.

Glancing at Maggie he sighed.

"Well no one's following the drill, I feel kinda dumb Gigi, I'm gonna sit back down."  

Posted by: Kris Jun 27 2006, 04:35 PM
Gigi followed sitting back in her desk. It was a very odd situation in deed. She couldn't beleive it was Maggie who killed KIm, that was just stupid. maggie was one of the nicest people she knows, theres no way that she's capable of killing Kim.

"I guess we can't jump to conclusions until we found how she died." she said with a sigh. very unsettling was the situation, she adjusted her violet bug sunglasses trying to grasp the situation. "Taylor, I'm kind of nervous. I mean I know you don't want to suspect anyone here but......" her voice lowered to a whisper.

"I just can't help but think that the killer is among us....."  

Posted by: Lien Jun 27 2006, 10:33 PM
Perhaps people were too suspicious these days, but what gives? At first, Mai was contemplating a ploy to convince them, but in the end it seemed to matter little. As long as she didn't incriminate herself further to their suspiscions, it really only counted in the eyes of the police and investigators. Who, she had the strong feeling, were already here, hence the lockdown. A dead girl in the washroom, who knows in what state, as she had left before the girl's demise. It was better, smarter, that way.

Gold lion's gonna tell me where the light is,
Gold lion's gonna tell me where the light is,
Take our hands out of control,
Take our hands out of control

Maggie's question came as simple as a conversation about today's lunch specials, but Mai was sensing a bit of panic under the strain of her words. She wanted to know what happened?

Kim was a waste, to Mai at least, if not, the majority of the class. A waste of talent, beauty, and innocence. The girl was stupid, and she believed in the honesty of another person's actions. A fool like that could only expect such a fate. However many times another trusted someone, they were burned. Badly, and the scar stays with them until, well, it's their turn to pass a scar on. They leave, whether by will or not, and it's always their fault. It's their shame that puts the wounds on other's souls and if Kim didn't see the inevitable coming....

About to let her thoughts give into their maniacal reasoning, she nearly forgot to answer Maggie's question, her eyes downcast to the tiles she rested her shins upon.

Now, tell me what you saw,
Tell me what you saw,
There was a crowd of seeds,
Inside, outside,
I must have done a dozen each

Mai tugged on her skirt and moved backwards from the desk, letting Maggie take whatever room she needed. Her brown eyes finally traveled up to met the blonde's face, concern painting the shade of her countenance. As if she gave a damn about anyone in particular. At this point, she would've been fine killing a good amount of the loud mouths standing around. But in her face was the worry, mirroring Maggie's own. Her answer was as simple as the question.

"I have no idea. Burton just found her."

It was the height I threw, the weight,
The shell was crushing you,
I've been around a few

People. What a waste of space, of air. Mai was sitting upright now, still on the floor in respect of the rules of the lockdown. Others didn't give a horse's ass. Obedience was instilled in Mai at a young age, though now it was only feigned. At least she knew when to fight and when to go with the flow. Like this moment, as her hands rested softly on the cloth of her skirt, and her eyes gazed at Maggie in a comforting manner. Much like a mother to her child, the nuturing look she could barely remember from Sayuri.

The one vacant on the demeanor of Yoko.

Mai thought it was time for something to happen, for this to be done with. The whole situation, the reactions, only showed how important any person was to anyone else. Just a gossip column, and maybe a few whispers before they were all forgotten. Barely a whisper left of her name. Mai could think of it now. "Who was that girl? The one in the bathroom? Oh, nevermind, who cares?"

Exactly. Who cares? No one.

Tell me what you saw,
I'll tell you what to...
Ooh ooh, ooh ooh, ooh ooh, ohh ohh
Ooh ooh, ooh ooh, ooh ooh, ohh ohh

Her lips formed a warm smile to soothe Maggie, her head tilted sideways in a glance of confidence and assurance.

"We'll know soon enough, but don't worry. I think we're all safe, the doors are locked now. Maybe they want to keep any more students from stumbling on her?"

Mai's hands were sweating, and she rubbed them idly against the cloth of her skirt. Her hatred under her mask, the thoughts provoking her to finally be who she really was. After all, she was stronger than anyone here was, in determination and civility.

"I'm worried about what's going to happen. Are we here in this class for the rest of the day? Til they find out what happened? Do we get to phone parents?"  

Posted by: Megami Jun 27 2006, 11:21 PM
A repeated thudding noise echoed from the wooden door as Jessica DeVlure, her partner Donnie Peters in tow, beat on the door to Mrs. Saranna's homeroom. A bit flustered after the ongoing events, Saranna forced herself to look out the door, only to see the short and wiry brunette holding a police badge up to the plexiglass window. Breathing a sigh of relief, Mrs. Saranna opened the door, allowing Jessica and her partner to step through.

"Hi, kids!" the bouncy brunette replied cheerfully. Meanwhile, Donnie took a perched position on the wall. He still wasn't feeling too well about this, "Now, I don't want you all to panic because we're in here. We don't suspect anyone in this room of having murdered blond--er, Kim."

The more she talked, the slower Jessica started to speak, as if she were talking to adolescents or the mentally handicapped. She'd always had a habit of talking to people like they were stupid, and the naive children sitting in the classroom were certainly no exception.

"We want to know about Kim. Her past, who she hung out with, if she had any enemies, what she was involved in, you know, that sort of stuff. So, one by one, we're going to pull you all out of the classroom to do a sort of interview. Don't worry, I promise no one is in trouble, and what you say about Kim is strictly between you, I, and Donnie here!"

Noticing he was being referenced, the bulky man in the corner cast a half-wave toward the sea of students that occupied Mrs. Saranna's room, and couldn't help but notice how disorganized and non-compliant all but a select few of them were. Shaking his head at the thought of their recklessness, he felt no need to chime in as Jessica continued her banter to the room's occupants.

"Alright so... any volunteers, or do I have to start pulling random people out of the room?"

A smile slid over the detective's face, and she couldn't help but hope someone would stand up and tell her about Kim, and exactly what she wanted to hear about Kim, so that she could end this little charade as quickly as possible. As much as she hated to admit it, this entire ordeal made her nervous. They were trying to prove a faux conclusion on a case they knew nothing about. Despite that, she didn't let the facts show on her face as she continued to cast that overbearing smile to the kids sitting in front of her.  

Posted by: d0ddi0slave Jun 27 2006, 11:45 PM
Alexander Ovechkin had to admit to himself that he hadn't really much of a clue as to what was going on. First people had flooded the room, talking quickly and excitedly about something. Someone dying, or some such nonsense. Alex didn't believe a word of that. People didn't generally die in schools, these days. Especially not with the recent terrorist attacks, on both the World Trade Centre, and the 'Survival of the Fittest' incident. He'd been learning about it from the Russian websites that they had online. Nasty business, to be certain, but...a death in school? He didn't know what was going on, simply because of how fast everyone was talking. Maybe a famous person had died? Perhaps that was why everyone was making such a big deal?

Alex had speculated to himself, and tried to keep up with the conversation, when alarms had rang and startled everyone. Someone had screamed something about getting under the desks, but not many people had paid too much attention. As such, Alex didn't either.

×òî æå, ñïðàøèâàåòñÿ, ïðîäîëæàåòñÿ â ýòîì ãîðîäå? Àìåðèêà ÿâëÿåòñÿ íàñòîëüêî ñóìàñøåäøåé èíîãäà. Åñëè êòî - òî óìåð, òî, ãäå - ïîëèöèÿ, è ïî÷åìó - âñå ìû âñå åùå â øêîëå?

Ïðîêëÿòûé, ÿ õî÷ó åñòü.

Sighing to himself, Alex watched as two people came into the room, a woman who seemed bubbly and upbeat, and a man who seemed to induce depression, just with a stare. The woman began to address the class, and quickly seemed to speed through her words. Alex didn't catch much, 'Kim', and 'question' being two of them. He did catch the tail end, though, when she seemed to slow down and ask for volunteers. A thought popped into his mind, and he couldn't help but grin that big grin of his.

×åðò, ÿ ñäåëàþ ÷òî - íèáóäü, ÷òîáû âûéòè èç ýòîé äóøíîé êîìíàòû...

With a grin on his face, Alex raised his hand eagerly, as nobody else in the room did. As the woman nodded to him, Alex smiled, and looked at the group of kids next to him, and pointedly asked what he probably should have before he stuck his hand up.

"What...do I volunteer myself for?"

Shaking his head, he laughed out loud at the fact that he'd gotten himself into something else without even realizing, for the unpteenth time.  

Posted by: LadyMakaze Jun 28 2006, 12:59 AM
An Linh regarded the badge-toting brunette and treated her with a disinterested expression, not at all thinking much of her bouncy, bubbly demeanor over such a serious matter. In all honesty, An Linh could hardly believe that this girl was detective material. Looked no more than an airhead in An Linh's eyes. If anything, An Linh was greatly reminded of Kim Jones-Larame as though she were reborn in flesh anew, ever shallow, ever bubbly, ever so disgustingly cheerful.

What great hands this murder mystery has fallen into, An Linh thought sardonically, a rather twisted, cynical smile on her face. From a distance, she gazed idly towards the detective and her partner with a look of disdain and apathy as the brunette began to ask for volunteers for interviewing, feeling rather irritated in the manner in which she addressed the students of the classroom/ She sounded as though she felt she were higher than them, talking to them ever as though they were kindergarteners, and had to be explained in such a simple manner.

However, her condescension faded into mild surprise as she noticed Alex volunteering himself, to be immediately accepted by the overeager detective. An Linh raised an eyebrow. Looking at the big, friendly grin on Alex's face, An Linh could not help but wonder if the ESL student had any idea whatsoever what was going on, or what he had just gotten himself into.

How much information the detective's going to manage to get out of Ovechkin, I wonder? An Linh raised her eyebrow even higher as Alex shook his head and laughed out loud, likely at the incredulity of the situation. Most likely....not much at all.

She was about to dismiss the matter entirely and immerse herself in her own musings when suddenly a thought clicked in her mind. Silently, looking ever so alert, she glanced towards Mai, who certainly had yet to volunteer. Interesting enough, though An Linh had little idea as to how willing Mai would be to participate in an interview. After all, as Kim's 'best friend', the detective should be able to appreciate the information she provided.

And perhaps An Linh could use this to a slight advantage, just to see if her suspicions in Mai were well placed.

Before she knew it, she had slid off the desk neatly and onto her feet, red canvas hightops and all. She raised a casual hand in the air for the detective's attention.

"I'll volunteer," she said in a somewhat careless, almost lazy voice as she sauntered over to where the detective was standing. As she passed Alex, she gave him a firm clap on the shoulder, as though the two of them were casual acquaintances, nodding towards him with a relaxed look on her face.

"That's the idea Ovechkin, just grin and bear it," she told him in a laid-back voice as she continued making her way over to the detective. She passed Mai's desk, at which point she spoke out again, looking towards Mai over the contour of her shoulder.

"Aren't you going to volunteer, Mai?" She asked in a rather careless, yet somehow piercing, insinuating tone. "I'm sure you'd want to help find the reason for Kim's death. You two were best friends after all."

Posted by: Lien Jun 28 2006, 03:44 PM
The bright voice sounding in the room reminded her, for a tiny moment, of the body she left for dead time ago. Mai's dark hair spun with her head, floating at the rate her neck was twisting to find a brunette woman standing there, smiling her head off. It was then Mai could only think, wonder what she would be like with her head chopped off. Her head tilted again, that part of her amusement of the situation being revealed for a split second before her eyes looked eagerly on towards the figure. Like she would to any authority, give them the security of someone who depended on them. In actuality, she was biding her time, thinking of what she would say when she would be interviewed.

The time was kept short, as when An Linh moved across and found her, sitting on the floor, just barely taller than the desk as she was kneeling, and questioned her to act. Refraining with all her might, Mai let An Linh finish her subtle prodding, which was more blatant to her than anyone else in the room. Mai wasn't here to play games, this was her life, her show. Things had to go her way, in the end, but on the outside she's calm.

Her head spins back to catch An Linh's eyes, not even a hint of disgust -which is what she really felt- toward the girl was shed in her appearance. Mai looked more pleading, like going to a friend for a favor.

"I was going to speak up before Alex and you went for it," she looked at Maggie, who hadn't responded yet to her assurances, "That, and Maggie was wondering what happened. If you don't mind, could, could I go before you? I think I would have the best insight... I did see her last before Burton found her."

Being truthful is sometimes the best way to be overlooked. Had Mai been found lying about where she had been, it would cause more suspiscion on her part. So, she was upfront, and honest, at least about that particular aspect. Though she had wanted time to find out what she would say, it seemed this was the time to let things flow, and follow the current. After all, An Linh's secret accusation, left in the tone of her question, would prove to help her seem more helpful than a suspect.

Ha. Tell me what I'm doing wrong before I do it, before anyone catches on, and you've just helped me commit murder. Thank you An Linh, arigato.

((Continued in: http://z10.DEFUNCT_IF_LINK/SurvivalOfTheF...howtopic=1043))  

Posted by: Kris Jun 28 2006, 04:18 PM
"I would also like to volunteer." said paris standing up with a grin. "If their's anyone in this classroom that knows about Kim and her life than that would be me." It made feel Paris proud that he was the Rumor Mill at school, he knew everything about everyone, at least he thinks he knows. its true, Paris knows qutie a lot of things on people but many of them still have secrets they haven't told. paris knew. Paris sensed it.

Here is what Paris did know, he knew about Kim and how incessant need to be skinny all the time, he knows how conceited Kim is, and he definatly knows that Kim has shared things with mai who is her apperent best friend. The thought wasn't true at all, Paris has heard rumors of Kim and Mai. He wast he one who started some himself. he had spread rumors that Kim was anarexic, then it switched to bluimic and that Mai would help Kim throw up.

Paris scanned rumors thorugh his head trying to figure out what to tell and what to keep secret. he knew that these detectives weren't all peachies and cream like they portray themselves. They are just waiting for someone to let something slip and then nail 'em. He was way smarter than that, too smart. Another thought entered his head, what happened if he was the crime solver? He'd definatly be praised, and Paris being an actor loved being in the spotlight.

Hmmmm.....If the killers is in this room....It can't be Taylor or Gigi...

Paris looked at Taylor and Gigi conversing with eachother. They were way to goodie too shoes to do anything. They were to boring, to kind, and to soft. paris never really had close encoutners with them but only with taylor. Now Taylor was capable of being a popular but he was simply too nice. He is better then that 60's lamer. The pair are not capable of murder. His eyes then went to Lance and Kasumi.

Religious freak and Japanease loser......I can't seem them doing murder either...

Moving on from the obvious couple he continued to scan the classroom trying to list who to watch out for, which suspects to put down. He kept a mental note about whats being said, what sounds off and what's to obvious. Paris was going to solve his crime, unknowingly that the criminal will not be caught.  

Posted by: Megami Jun 28 2006, 04:53 PM
(OOC: This is the third time I've tried to get this posted, so yeah, it sucks, oh well. :-P)

Detective Jessica DeVlure was delighted by the events that were hurridly unfolding in front of her. She was simply thrilled by the fact that all these students were stepping up in hopes of helping solve the Kim Jones-Larame Murder Mystery, as she had entitled it. Looking on in what seemed to almost be fascination as Alex Ovechkin volunteered his information (or lack thereof), followed by a certain Vietnamese girl, Jessica was beaming with excitement. When the oriental girl who had volunteered second made a subtle mention of Mai Oshinari being friends with Kim, Jessica's interest was sparked.

Almost before Mai had even volunteered, Jessica was making a dash toward the girl, aiming to pull her out the door. This girl was the key to making up an awesome conclusion to their murder mystery, "solving" the crime, and looking good on her first detective case. That's what this was all about. Ushering the asian girl out into the hallway and down toward an empty secretary's office, Jessica was inwardly jumping for joy. Meanwhile, Donnie was running after his partner-in-crime, trying to keep up with the hyper brunette.

As Jessica entered the secretary's office, she plopped down in the cushioned chair behind the desk and spun toward the seats that were sat across the table from her, motioning for Mai to sit down. Meanwhile, Donnie once again perched himself on the doorframe, effectively propping the now closed-door shut for the time being. Before anyone could get a word in edgewise, Jessica began her tirade of questions.

"So, Mai," she started casually enough, her voice beginning to pick up as she got more excited by the second, "You knew Kim well, right? Best friends, was it? What can you tell me about Kim, Mai? Did she have any enemies? Ever make anyone... angry? Did she have problems at home? Did Kim have..." Jessica leaned in toward the girl, her voice dropping to a whisper, "secrets? Everyone has secrets, Mai. What were Kim's?"

From his sloped position against the doorframe, Donnie made a sign indicative of Jessica stopping the barrage of questions and letting the young girl in question actually answer. Finally taking the hint, Jessica continued to lean in, her eyes fixated on Mai, listening intently to the girl's story about Kim Jones-Larame. This girl, Jessica's golden girl, she was Jessica's ticket to a good case... to not getting kicked off the police force for absolutely ruining the Jones-Larame murder.

Back in the classroom, Maggie was just now standing up from underneath the desk and brushing off the dirt that had accumulated on her khaki pants. Everything had happened so sudden, that Maggie had barely had time to absorb it all. One moment she was talking to Mai Oshinari about the tragedy that had occurred in the bathroom. Then two badge-toting individuals had popped up outside the door and escorted Mai off, sayiing she was the first of the class to be interviewed about Kim.

Do they think Mai did it? Just because she was out of class before it happened?

At the sheer thought of it, Maggie's eyes widened and she became somewhat lightheaded. Not because she thought Mai might be being accused of murder, but because if they were interviewing Mai, who would they interview next? Burton had found the body in question, would he be next on their interrogation list?

For that matter, Maggie herself had been out of class directly during the time of Kim's death. She had been wandering from the choir room back to Mrs. Saranna's room, and had seen hide nor hair of anyone else in the vacant hallways. Thus, nobody had seen her. She had no alibi for where she'd been, except the honest truth. But how often does anyone believe that these days? In essence, Maggie Heartgreeder found herself in the position of being the perfect scapegoat.

Surely not. They'd never think it was me, right? I've never done anything wrong, I'd never kill anybody, ever! Oh God, I... I hope they don't think that I--

Feeling faint, Maggie flopped almost placidly into her desk and leaned her head backward, her eyes shutting as she tried to erase the panicked and misplaced thoughts from her mind. Besides, they were much more likely to interview Mai's friends, right? The detective woman had even said that nobody in the class was a suspect. Then again, that's always what they say, isn't it? To keep people from panicking.

Panicking was certainly what Maggie Heartgreeder had begun to do.  

Posted by: Doink Jul 2 2006, 08:08 PM
Lance had had enough with the dialogue of this fight. "Can you believe those two" he asked Maggie, pointing to Aisin and Snipes. "They're so full of themselves they're going to spill all over the floor."  

Posted by: Megami Jul 3 2006, 12:17 AM
Maggie Heartgreeder had retreated to the front of the classroom near the doorway as the fight between several of her classmates had broken out. She had all but gotten lost in the fray. Paris Persphone, as per usual, had been picking on the so-called "lower class", people not quite as well off as he was, which was quite frankly something the blonde-haired girl despised.

Of course, she'd never had the courage nor the gull to stand up to the "populars". They tended to leave her alone, and she them. Aisin Jin, however, seemed to have more than enough courage to stand up for himself in the face of adversity, and when he had retaliated to Paris's remarks with his own, things had turned ugly, and fast.

The fair-haired girl had only looked on as Paris and Aisin squabbled back and forth over the most trivial of matters, even going so far as to incite racial slurs upon one another to prove themselves better. Somewhere along the lines, the classroom had erupted in chaos and confusion as Adam Amato had come from seemingly out of nowhere and caught Paris with a hard punch.

Things had gotten really out of hand after that, with Paris jumping on top of Adam, trying to continue with the brawl, and An Linh Tuan also jumping in in an attempt to break it up. From there, Brendan Snipes, one of the so-called populars, had stepped in, trying to remove An Linh from the fight so Paris could get the upper-hand, and somewhere in the fray Aisin had jumped back in, and now he and Snipes were having what almost looked like a dual between, of all things, yardsticks.

Maggie had been snapped back from her thoughts and escaped from her desk nearly as soon as Adam had gone flying toward Paris, and now leaned against the door, looking on in horror at the events that were unfolding in front of her. Her terrified glance turned from the brawling students to Mrs. Saranna, who was apparently doing absolutely nothing to retaliate against the squabbling kids and break up the fight.

With pencils flying through the air and children attacking one another with yardsticks being used as swords, things had gotten rather chaotic and somewhat dangerous in such a short time. She watched out of the corner of her eye as Kasumi White exited the classroom somewhere in the fray, but her eyes kept tracing back to Mrs. Saranna, and Maggie couldn't believe that their homeroom teacher would do nothing to end the madness that had unfolded in the classroom.

Her mind had all but rushed from the nearly paranoid thoughts of being accused of having anything to do with Kim Jones-Larame's death at the beginning of the brawl, and she continued to look on in a vague expression of shock as the war between the students continued. She was only vaguely aware that fellow classmate Lance Adams, who was standing nearby, had addressed her. The sound of her classmate's voice brought her back from her thoughts as she turned to him, the same mortified expression plastered to her usually angelic face.

"Why isn't anyone stopping them? Everyone's just standing around, letting them go at it. This is bad, they'll probably all be suspended for this..."

Of course, the likelihood of her statement being true was probably slim to nil. People like Brendan Snipes would never be suspended from a school that so graciously took in vast amounts of money. Why, if the Snipes family forked over enough money, it was very possible that the school would turn a blinde eye to anything their prized son did. At least, from what Maggie had heard about Brendan, that's the way things would probably work themselves out.

Casting another offhanded glance toward Lance, she mused to herself for a moment before finally taking the opportunity to once again speak up. It was hard for Maggie to even imagine stepping in and attempting to break up the fight, she was certainly no fighter herself, and the church going girl had no intentions of ever being such. Regardless, this entire ordeal needed to end before someone ended up hurt.

"Do you think we should step in and try to stop them before this turns ugly? I'd hate for the whole class to get in trouble over this..."  

Posted by: I-eat-cute-animals Jul 5 2006, 04:19 PM
((Syuji continued from: http://z10.DEFUNCT_IF_LINK/SurvivalOfTheF...pic=1036&st=0))

"Well, if you were to interfere, it would be like stepping infront of a train" Syuji said with a nervous smile as he sketched something out crudely, but finely enough to make a little sense.
"You two pussies settling your differences like women?! Come on, this fight is fuckin' pathetic rip an arm off!!" Kage said, making Syuji jump "FIGHT DAMNIT, THERE'S NOTHING BETTER TO DO!!"
Syuji seemed to attempt evasion of the classroom, but he wasn't assertive enough to get out of the desk rows, he could've made a show by jumping onto his desk, but that would make him nervous and victim to alot of attention.
He needed to get away from his brother somehow, he began breathing faster, he feared when others were booming with rage and excitement, a cold sweat, or tear rolled down his chin.
Questions like "What if a riot begins?" And "What if he starts wailing on me?" ran through his mind like a jaguar on speed.
"Shit!!" Syuji said, he was soaked, with fear and sweat, like a wolves prey, he was trembling, on the verge of tears, he was a little too close for comfort to his brothers boiling rage.
Kage continued to shout at the two, in an unintelligable tone, though this may not phase them, as he hasn't been known for taking action in violence ON CAMPUS.  

Posted by: Doink Jul 9 2006, 08:35 PM
"Son of a-" Lance complained, scowling at the aggression that was enveloping the classroom. "That's it! This classroom's gone to hell," he tells Maggie. "I'm going to find Kasumi. Tell me how it turns out." Lance grabs his volume of Sanctuary and storms out of the classroom.

((Continued in: http://z10.DEFUNCT_IF_LINK/SurvivalOfTheF...howtopic=1069))  

Posted by: Megami Jul 18 2006, 03:13 PM
It was obvious that the students enrolled in room 225 had begun to get more than a little stir-crazy since lockdown had gone into effect. Everyone seemed to be on edge now, and fights and arguments kept flaring up over the most trivial of things. Much to her relief, the fight between Aisin Jin and Brendan Snipes had come to a rather abrupt end. Almost immediately thereafter, however, the two Isuka brothers had begun a brawl of their own, and things only escalated further when Andrew Swainson brandished a knife at Kage Isuka. Fortunately for everyone, that fight had ended abruptly as well.

And now? Well now, everyone was sitting around chatting as if nothing had happened. After the third fight to break out since lockdown began ended, Maggie Heartgreeder had reluctantly returned to her seat. The blonde-haired girl focused her attention out the nearby window, musing over the fact that they should be outside right now, not locked in a school building with no way out. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Andi Ayala enter the conversation between Syuji and Andrew.

Surprisingly enough, the group began talking civilly after a short exchange of harsh words, and the blonde finally smiled to herself. Things had gotten crazy in a hurry, and Andi's last comment rang through her ears with a sort of finality to the words. Indeed, lockdown does seem to do things to people. It seemed like so long now that they had all been locked in this cramped up little room with one another, and the students had finally seemed to go from being hostile and edgy to attempting to alleviate their boredom.

Come to think of it, it seemed like eons ago that that terrifying alarm signalling lockdown had rang out. It seemed like ages ago that the loud brunette and her companion had entered the room and informed them of the death of Kim Jones-Larame. And it seemed like it had been an eternity since they had pulled Mai Oshinari from the classroom to interrogate her about the girl who had just suffered a tragic fate in the girl's restroom. Maggie couldn't help but wonder what they could be talking to Mai about now, or if she was even still with the detectives.

Maybe they had sent her home. Everything seemed like so long ago now, Maggie didn't have a clue. School had virtually been put on hold for the day, the students all being confined to their homeroom classes since that morning. Sighing audibly at the thought, Maggie absent-mindedly traced circles around the surface of her desk and continued to stare out of the window contemplatively. She, like probably everyone else in the classroom, was more than a little tired of being held captive in this cramped and quite frankly overfilled room.

Then again, it had been like that for a year now. It had been like that ever since the city had cut school budgetting and crammed her beloved St. Andrews Academy together with the shoddy mediocre school known as Southside. Things had just never quite been the same. The Southside kids were unrefined, almost primitive in nature. Well, most of them, anyway. Maggie silently reprimanded herself for such a thought, but the fact remained... events like today's never happened at her old school.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

(("Another Day in Homeroom..." continued))

Posted by: riserugu Jul 21 2006, 01:15 AM
Edgar too had taken the liberty in removing himself from the general area the fight had broken out in, turning into a jest of words between Aisin and Paris, to growing into this free-for-all of sorts with even An Linh and Adam joining in. He now sitting back in his normal seat – some distance from where the fights where taking place, watching in slight disbelief that in a time such as this that his classmates could turn into such animals at the drop of a hat – going as far in some cases as to pull knifes, be a pocket one or not, and use it in a threatening manner against another student in this case. But as soon as the fighting began it seemed to end, and everything return to normal – least as normal as it could be. He was surprised the teacher hadn't taken the liberty in stopping any of it, but from what he could see she seemed far too occupied chatting up a storm on her phone to be borrowed by a couple of fights – in fact, she probably would have been thankful if they all had knocked each other out.

Sigh-escaped lips as his attention drifted away from everyone else and back into his own personal, little bubble; eyes drifting over the once-again forgotten paper that lay atop the desk. The bold headline still burning across so very clearly, making his stomach even more as that simply phrase, 'Survival of the Fittest' rung clear in his ears, and burned in the back of his mind. Truly, as of late, the simple thought of the game was bringer feelings of harsh dislike up in him. From by the papers words, the game had entered their final ten competitors as they entered the Tenth Day on that island. Though he could only wonder how many it had fallen to by now, who where the ones that where left and if he remembered them from what small bits and pieces he had watched some days prior.

Of course when he had last watched, more than half of the students where still playing the game.

That had been on Third Day, nodding a bit to himself – agreeing with thoughts. Odd how in the course of almost five days – ninety something kids could go down to ten, or even less now. Some of those kids on there where sure playing a no-holds bar match it seemed – of course it seemed that their would be some that would play – be it to protect, win, glory, pay-back whatever. He couldn't help the slight train of thought that passed through, questioning him on how he would react if he was thrown into something like that – if his classmates where thrown into something like that. 'Amusing thought Judah, but it won't happen... this Danya – or whatever won't be able to keep hidden forever. Not with the governments of so many countries wanting him – it won't be long before they hold some international trail against him and his terrorist. Least it might be interesting to watch.'

He lightly wondered to how people across the river where handling it – those New Yorkers, where a lot of those kids where from. Edgar knew within the upcoming weeks the obituaries section will be full of the picture of dead students from that Barry Coleson High School, he knew sooner or later he'd have to go over there too again – visit those doctors and their little family again; the first time had been on behalf of his mother, before she had fallen into her current state. More or less asking for something or anything recent of this person to help her, because all she had been baby pictures. The process of finding out about an older half-sibling is complicated, the process of dealing with the fact he's dead is even more so. Edgar never took a look at the pictures, or anything else they had given – he had simply gotten on his train and returned home.

It was two days later when his mum went into the hospital.
It was another day later when she stopped knowing who he was, and figured him for her dead child.

But he couldn't find it his heart to speak up and say otherwise, she seemed so happy in her current state of mind. He sometimes wondered why, but never asked; though his father once mentioned, 'you two look a like in a way, its clear you both took after your mum. Hair, face, even the look in your eyes.'

Edgar bothered commenting on his father's insight on the subject, though he mentioned he had been talking the other's dad a great deal since his mum was sent in to the hospital. Though didn't bother listening much after that, he still hated this all the same.

Another sigh and thoughts, flashbacks and the what not where broken, Edgar's eyes traveling again, thought this time to the window. Though he couldn't help noticing he didn't seem to be the only one with the idea of looking out it. Maggie, he believed, was staring out too – the girl never seemed to talk to much, though from what he had gathered she had been one of the one from the Catholic school that had joined with this one, one of the ones that didn't seem to pleased about it either. Nothing he knew about, this being his first year here anyway ---

"Anything interesting out there, or is it as boring as it is in here?" He muttered in a light tone of a question, resting his chin down in an open palm.  

Posted by: Megami Jul 22 2006, 09:37 PM
Maggie Heartgreeder had been in quite the daze, staring vacantly out of the classroom window into the street below. Normal, everyday life continued as per usual outside, and the blonde-haired girl had taken to watching the bustling and crowded road that wound in front of Hobbsborough High School. Quite a bit of traffic had accumulated outside. Was it that late in the afternoon already? It seemed like people were already headed home from work. Then again, it could always just be lunch-time traffic. She'd been sitting in that same seat for so long now that she had no clue what time it was.

Pedestrians gradually passed through Maggie's line of vision, meandering down the sidewalk in a world all their own. At this point, Maggie wished she could be down there with them, aimlessly walking to get nowhere in particular. It seemed a much better way to spend the afternoon than her current choice. Secretly, she envied the few people wandering down the street who she knew to be Hobbsborough students who had cut class and retreated from the school grounds before lockdown had begun.

An absent-minded smile crossed her face as she thought of those people. In a way, she admired them. She'd never have the courage nor the audacity to skip out on school, and being the ever-punctual student that she was who never seemed to miss a day of school, she had been given the misfortune of being trapped in a room with a bunch of students who seemed to positively despise one another for the duration of the day. She sighed a bit at the thought, but her thoughts were immediately interrupted as a voice rang out, addressing her.

"Hm?" the blonde mused lightly, turning to face her newfound companion, an ever-polite smile forming on her lips.

It took her a moment to place the student's name. She heard it everyday in roll call... after all, she was in the same class as him. Then again, Maggie never was a very outgoing person, and she'd never made it much of a point to get to know her fellow students very well, save the ones she had attended Saint Andrews with before the merger a year ago. As she looked the copper-headed boy up and down, a name finally rang out in her mind. Edgar... Ed or... something? Perhaps? Shrugging lightly, she studied him for only a mere second before answering.

"If you call a traffic jam amusing," she stated softly, laughing a bit, "Though I imagine if we could hear everyone swearing, it'd be a riot."

The stoplight directly in front of Hobbsborough High School was simply notorious for shorting out, and considering the school was on one of the main routes through town, this tended to cause a problem. It seemed like the city was constantly sending a crew out to work on it, but within a week, it had shorted out again and caused yet another massive traffic jam right in front of the high school. Chalk that one up to the city's budget cut.

Turning back toward Edgar, she smiled a bit, though couldn't help but notice the same group of boys who had been causing trouble earlier out of the corner of her eye. She looked right in time to see them comparing pocket-knives, and shook her head disapprovingly at the site. Maggie hadn't thought it would be that bad when the city had merged the two high schools together to cut funding, but bad was turning out to be quite the understatement. Looking at Edgar momentarily, she nodded toward the group brandishing their knives inside the classroom.

"This place has really gone south ever since the merger. I never thought it'd be this bad, you know? We had metal detectors and stuff at Saint Andrews. If anybody even dreamed of doing that back at the Academy, they'd be suspended at the drop of a hat. I knew they were cutting budgetting, but this is ridiculous."

Indeed, more than budgetting seemed to have been cut. When the city had merged Southside and St. Andrews into Hobbsborough, they apparently hadn't felt the need to equip the school with metal detectors or any of the other safety precautions most schools took the liberty of having. At the thought, Maggie cast a glance to the teacher, who seemed to be talking to someone on her cell phone still. They'd cut funding on everything else, so it was only logical that they'd probably cut the wages of the employees as well.

That would explain quite a bit. Like the fact that Mrs. Saranna seemed to pay no mind to the repeated fights that had broken out in her classroom since lockdown began, or the fact that she wasn't reprimanding and in fact didn't even seem to notice the fact that a large group of boys was now comparing knives right in the center of the classroom. She shook her head again at the thought and nearly commented on the intelligence level of some of Southside's kids, but refrained. First of all, it wasn't the Christianly thing to do to talk badly about other people. Secondly, for all she knew, Edgar could've come from Southside. She was rather enjoying the company, and didn't want to insult the boy. Instead she simply shrugged her shoulders and smiled, unsure of what to say and not the best at making conversation in the first place.  

Posted by: MooCow Jul 28 2006, 01:16 PM
Taylor had been reading George Orwell's 1984 for quite some time. His conversation with GiGi had been at a standstill for what seemed like hours. The book was interesting. Taylor had found it boring when it had been required reading for his English I class his freshman year but for some reason the lifting of chapter deadlines and omitted taking of copious notes let the story weave an interesting and disturbing tale of corruption and control. Putting the book down, Taylor Brennan sighed and lay his head down on the desk. Glancing at GiGi he allowed his eyes to gaze around the room. Each and every one of these students, all of whom he considered friends, from Maggie to GiGi to Edgar to, yes, even Paris, none of them really understood how great it was to be free from totalitarian rule. To have the ability to choose their own destiny. Taylor chuckled inside and flashed a million dollar grin to know one in particular and let all the stress of Kim's demise and the end of the halfway mark of he and his classmates high school careers drift away.

Goddess bless America...

Unfortunately for Taylor and his peers, the fine line between destiny and freewill, the ability to choose ones fate over something inevitable, was about to be crossed all to soon.

Closing his eyes Taylor began to dream...

Walking on an island he felt an indescribable ammount of fear and paranoia... but what for?

Dead, dead, their all dead and now we're fucked... royally fucked. Nothing but psychos left... and the handful of us who managed to make it to the end of this game... the plan it should have gone down without a hitch...

Plan... what fucking plan and where the hell was he?

"Where am I," he sputtered.

Two boys looked at him confused, one familiar the other not so.

"Taylor?" the familiar athletic boy asked. Was that Austin?

What the fuck am I doing with a prick like Austin Spencer?

"Where am I?!" Taylor screamed. A familiar Pink Floyd masterpeice blarred in his nightmare.

"We don't need no education...'

"We don't need no thought control...'

Pink Floyd what the hell I must be dreaming...

"No dark sarcasm in the classroom...'

"Teachers leave them kids alone...'

"Hey teacher leave them kids alone...'

"All in all it's just another brick in the wall...'

This is so fucked...

"All in all you're just another brick in the wall..."

"Shut him up," the other unfamiliar boy hissed, "they'll hear us. We didn't make it this far to let them win."

"Where am I!" Taylor yelled grabbing... a gun?!

What the hell... where did that come from?

Austin looked at Taylor worriedly, "babe put down the gun, we're in Battle Royale, we've been here for days..."

Why was the sexist pig calling him by a pet name?

BANG, BANG, BA-...

"NO!" screamed what sounded like Austin.

And then black...

Taylor jolted awake, drenched in sweat. He was in his own room.

School... I was talking to GiGi... then Battle Royale! Oh God it was all a horrible dream... Kim's death too... oh talk about a nightmare!

Rising he walked in his pajama shorts towards his bathroom door. He opened it but instead of his sink he saw an old restroom... bodies strewn across a dirty floor.

"No," he whispered.

Turning to flee he found himself on another island, or was it the same one? Images flashed before his eyes, a boy on a motorcycle carrying the severed head of a pretty girl. A boy dying in his own blood surrounded by his friends. An asian girl on the verge of insanity, her attire, a trim cheerleader's uniform. Taylor shut his eyes.

This is not happening... this is so not happening!

A boy in a hockey jersey... a normal boy slightly stocky and tall, with red hair and an amassed amount of facial stubble stood next to him when he reopened his eyes. The boy didn't seem to notice him, keeling over in pain, Taylor screamed, "oh my God are you okay? What the hell is going on? Can you tell me?"

The boy looked past Taylor, not noticing his present company. The location had changed once again and Taylor could hear the crashing of waves in the distance. He smelled the metallic stench of blood and the rotting aroma of maggot ridden flesh that reminded him if he wasn't in the same place as before, he was in a place very similar. If Taylor had believed in hell, perhaps he would have thought he was there.

A voice boomed loudly, that of a man.

"Well done little warriors this is Mr. Danya speaking, in the last day there have been many deathes..." he rambled off names several of which he recognized as friends and some he didn't know, "next was resident 'it' boy of Hobbsborough High, Taylor Brennan, choked to near death and left to asphixiate as friends were forced to watch... not that they had to suffer the sadness of his death long because they were the next to die!"

The voice of Mr. Danya, whoever he might have been, continued to speak,"... and that ladies and gnetlemen brings our grand total to 666 dead. Until next time."

Taylor reached for his throat. He couldn't breath... falling to his knees he struggling...

Austin appeared.

"Don't you fucking die on me now! Don't you fucking die!"

Now Taylor was watching it all happen floating towards the clouds... Austin shaking his now lifeless body.

Oh God I'm dead... I died... I died in Battle Royale.

And then only blackness.

"WE HAVE A WINNER!"

"NO!" Taylor screamed in his nightmare, jolting himself and several of the more tired classmates awake. He felt his throat as his eyes darted nervously around the room. Confused eyes starred at him from all over...

"Battle Royale," he whispered looking in the direction of the students who had just recently been discussing what he'd only heard of as some sort of horrific version of Survivor on steroids.

"Excuse me," he said standing up and wiping sweat from his brow. Suffering no further embarressment Taylor Brennan rushed out of the classroom and towards the men's restroom. After vomiting and looking himself over carefully in the mirror, Taylor sighed. It was time to pay a visit to the Hobbsborough Library.

((Continued in: http://z10.DEFUNCT_IF_LINK/SurvivalOfTheF...howtopic=1262))  

Posted by: LadyMakaze Jul 28 2006, 03:47 PM
Amidst the exchange of nonsense that was being thrown back and forth between her classmates, An Linh looked on with a look of utter boredom and disdain, still relaxing carelessly atop of Alex's desk with her feet resting idly on the desk next to it, red canvas sneakers and all. It was quite sad enough that she was resigned to listening to dull and idiotic conversation after another, with the occasional outburst from what she assumed to be one of the more mental students.

Indeed, it was all nonsense, and listening to it all, it didn't take long for the disdainful An Linh to grow sick with apathy and incredulity of all this senseless talk. She tilted her head to the side, looking over her fellow classmates, and wondering briefly just when would the interrogation with Mai get over with so she could have her turn. Kim's death seemed long past and little more than a trivial matter to her now, right now all An Linh was something to break the monotony.

Of course, there was that lockdown keeping her within classroom walls...within the same room she was sharing with all of the brainless ones about her. Andrew and Nich for a pair broke the monotony if only momentarily squawking out noisily over some 'third wall' or something, the fanatic dorks they often were. Andi obviously whoring on Peter in front of the entire class so blatantly, had he no shame? Taylor throwing some kind of fit over a dream of some sort, just how mental could you get? And Siouxie, poor Siouxie, having little to no idea what in the world was going on despite the classroom falling into more than an hour into lockdown. Then again, she was sixteen, a whole year older than An Linh, yet of the same grade. That had to be for a reason, didn't it?

An Linh smirked that cynical little smile. Granted, there were people in the classroom that didn't irk her as much as these particular students, and they were the ones who happened to be keeping quiet, or just keeping to themselves without disturbing the peace of others.

Nevertheless, An Linh felt about ready to snap, at the idioticy that was beginning to dominate the classroom... a nap seemed impossible at this time, and none of her more likeable acquaintances seemed to want to talk about anything in particular. Perhaps they were all tired of this as well.

Of course, it wasn't as though she had to put up with this. And frankly enough, she wasn't about to. Promptly, she slid onto her feet, wordlessly ignoring the classmates around her and calmly sliding her fingers into her pockets as she strode towards the door.

"Students aren't allowed to leave the room during lockdown," she could hear the teacher calling out towards her. An Linh ignored her, casting a frown as the knob at her hand refused to turn. Looking exasperated, she shook it. The door remained closed, though it shook rather unsteadily, held in place loosely by rusty hinges. She stepped back slowly, surprisingly looking as though she were about to give up quickly, and then-

WHAM!

Was the sound that resulted from An Linh's foot flying out and slamming square into the surface of the door. The wooden panel popped clear from both lock and hinge and toppled over to land flat in the hallway outside with a deafening impact. From outside the hallway, staff and students alike wandering by stopped to stare agape, first at the now empty doorway, then at the form of An Linh standing calmly just beyond it.

Placing her fingers back in her pockets, An Linh calmly stepped out, making her way down the hallway from the classroom. Skittering like a tentative mouse behind her, a teacher stammered, "E-excuse me, but students aren't allowed out during lockdown."

"I'm to be interrogated by the detective," An Linh told him calmly. "And to be honest, I seem to recall obstruction of justice being a crime..."

((Continued in: http://z10.DEFUNCT_IF_LINK/SurvivalOfTheF...howtopic=1043))

riserugu Posted: Jul 30 2006, 03:26 AM  
He eyed the other girl for a moment after he spoke out to her before letting his attention sift from her, to the window and the ever so oddly normal sight beyond it. It just wasn't a normal week unless there was some sort of traffic jam happening outside their classroom window. Usually it was rather annoying to have to listen to it when he was trying to concentrate on his schoolwork – but now, actually looking out over them he couldn't help but feel somewhat slightly amused by the sight. It was awkward really – seeing how busy people had made their live, always in a rush going here and there, never taking hardly anytime to really just stop and breath. Her voice, making mention of the traffic jam he had become so intent on watching these past few moments caused him to grin in a slight manner keeping his attention focused on that outside. It would probably a lot more fun if they could here what they where shouting at one another – cursing and spiting, making fools of themselves, but amusement for others'. Then again anything was more interesting than what was currently happening, and being talked about in the class at the moment.

It was her voice again; her, who he was pretty sure, went by the name of Maggie. Then again, Edgar had never been good at remembering names – be they have been in the same homeroom class as you for quite a while or not, he knew she sang though – quite nicely at that. But he didn't bother speaking up against his thoughts, be he sound rude. But yes, it was her voice and her nodding that returned his attention back into the classroom and onto the boys that massed along the center. He listening to her words ever so lightly, it was true – least from his fathers' words about the after affects of the merger, boys' brandishing weapons, people fist fighting, murders, and all the while their teacher seemed to don't give a second glance to the any of this. Still, far to engaged in her phone conversation to be worrying about things outside her own circle of caring. "I wouldn't know a thing."

After speaking those words, he smiled, releasing she might not take note of what he was speaking about – he musing a bit as turned back to look toward Maggie. "I mean, I wouldn't know a thing really about what it was like at either school before the merger. I was attending a Catholic middle-school just outside the city lines, as there isn't one in this area. I was supposed to attend Saint Andrews, like my father – and continue on with my Catholic schooling. Though by the time I was ready to start high school, the merger had already taken place. I didn't think it would be to bad –" He trailed off, hazel eyes trailing over the louder group of the room with a slight raise of his brow, sighing in an audibly way. "Sadly it seems I was a bit mistaken on more than a few levels. Though in the same sense it isn't that horrid, I must admit there are quite the number of interesting people here, would-be murders or not." The last part was mostly muttered to himself, glancing at the door out the corner of his eye. Mai sure had been gone a long while... perhaps she had broken down during the questioning and sent home... but then again, he remembered his conversation earlier – why he figured the reason for Kim's death was.

Jealousy.

It was a silly thought – but you saw it all in murder cases, then again, no one probably had a passion like his to watch all those murder mystery shows. Like he'd ever admit to anyone, but he found the shows rather interesting to watch a majority of time. Though it also made his thought process to take things to a deeper degree than was usually needed, like now. Why couldn't it just be a suicide? 'Because Kim would be far to busy looking at her face to be bothered to slit her wrists, or throat... can't be getting blood on those nice clothes anyway. Other ways are far too messy – 'cept overdosing of course... that's' another possibility it seems. But why am even bothering with this – you didn't even know the girl expect through drama... and even then when ever she spoke to you, all she did was babble about like a broken record until thoughts of suicide came popping into your own head.'

It was the yell from one of the fellow classmates Taylor was it? His name-recalling abilities were top-notched as always as he watched the boy, who was know dubbed screaming boy in his head until he learned the others' name, ran out the room. Completely not caring about lockdown, this sudden outburst prompted talk between the members of the larger, louder group in the classroom. Mutters being mentioned of the Battle Royale and Survival of the Fittest games, an annoyed sound escaping lips as he eyed the paper on his desk. These students attention spans seemed to be the same as that of a cracked-addicted, ADHD ferret they jumped from subject to subject as if they had just saw something shiny. Going from talks of Andi and his little plaything named Peter, to this and now it seemed yet another player was entering the game as the door opened. School officials dropping off a girl in a dress – a girl who's, this was starting to become an annoying commonplace thing for him, name he either a ) couldn't remember, or b ) didn't bother learning in the first place for one reason or another. When she opened her mouth questioning as to what was going, he quickly in a mental note check to box b, adding that sometimes people, including those older than himself by two-years are really just that unobservant to what the hell was going on around them.

It didn't take that long for he to be cut off in his breakdown of his classmates probable IQ levels when the classroom door went falling off the hinges all in thanks to one Ah Linh, she really was one of the more interesting people he had come to known at this school. Her apparent lack of caring of the doorknob – which was unlock, after all how could these guys keep leaving and coming back in? Made the copper-haired boy grin a bit as he leaned back in his seat, "She sure makes things a bit more interesting about here." He mused in a light tone, turning a bit again to face where Maggie and the window where only to find that the window was occupied by a rather unattractive sight, Edgar raising another brow with a sigh and glancing toward Maggie with a bit of a defeated look.

"Some people though –" Ed muttered with a tilt of his head toward Debrah, "Are prime examples of why animals eat their young."

By the time he had finished this statement, Debrah had already walked away and was poking at Siouxsie, he didn't know how he didn't remember that name – then again, yes he probably did. Now it seemed they where more focused on Andi's little 'shivers' that seemed to mean something bad was happening, or happened. But shaking off this thought as another stupid comment made by the group, he laced hands together, propping elbows on his desk top and resting his chin down a top laced fingers. Tilting his head a bit, not noting the return of Mai into the classroom. Turning his head a bit to glance at Maggie once more, hoping for a bit of a talk in a civil manner while they where stuck in here.

"So... you're in choir right? How is it? I was thinking about joining, as my last school's wasn't that good so I didn't really bother when I came here. But... I've been interested as of late, tennis and drama can only hold my attention for so long anyway." He said, musing once more with a bit of a grin.

Megami Posted: Aug 1 2006, 12:50 AM  
Maggie's attention was drawn away from Edgar's words as Deborah Dollop, a student from Mr. Satchel's ninth grade class, burst into the room with what appeared to be a note for Mrs. Saranna, who was still babbling away absent-mindedly on her cell phone. Apparently, even though the school was still under lockdown, it was perfectly fine for a student to leave their classroom and trapse through the halls where a would-be murderer could very well still be lurking, because apparently notes the teachers passed between one another were more important than the students' lives.

Sighing audibly at the thought, Maggie refrained from vocalizing it to Edgar, not wishing to verbally badmouth the staff nor the students attending Hobbsborough High School. Despite herself, Maggie found herself subconsciously eyeing Deborah's choice of apparel, wondering if it was within Hobbsborough's dress code guidelines to wear such a revealing and attention-attracting get-up. Then again... as Deborah approached one of her fellow classmates, an odd girl who went by the name of Souixie Souix, Maggie's attention quickly transferred from the overly-aggressive young blonde to the dark maiden decked out in a dress far too fancy for high school.

"I think she wants to be the next Amy Lee..." Maggie mused in her soft whisper of a voice, a light smile forming across her pale pink lips as she did so.

That was all she said, but Maggie's thoughts on the girl who was all but decked out in a prom dress in the middle of a high school class went so much deeper than that. First of all, nobody in this day and age dressed like that. Were her parents on crack when they named her, or what? Seriously, how retarded. Maggie immediately reprimanded herself for the thoughts passing through her head about Souixie. It wasn't her place to judge people, after all. Still... Deborah seemed a lot more tolerable by comparison.

Especially then the tyrannic trio of Souixie, Phoenix, and Andi all started making fun of Deborah.

Did they know how retarded they looked? It took three of them to pick on a freshman. Sadly, it appeared that Deborah truly had more class than all three of them combined. That wasn't really saying much, though. Once again, Maggie inwardly kicked herself. It was horrid, thinking such cruel and insensitive things about her fellow classmates. Whether she liked them or not, she was supposed to love all of God's children. Some were just... a lot more difficult to care about than others.

As Edgar referred to the recent ongoings with his cynical and snide comment, Maggie turned a bit red in the cheeks, looking at the boy sitting near her with a bit of disbelief at the fact that he'd actually said that out loud in the middle of class. That sort of thing was something that Maggie greatly envied... the ability to outwardly speak her thoughts without fear of reprocussion... the ability to say what you thought when you thought it... it was something she'd never be able to have, she was far too quiet and timid.

The original shock of it all evaporated into thin air after a short moment, and almost before she knew what was happening, a giggle escaped the blonde-headed girl's lips. Shaking her head in disbelief at what he'd just said, she tilted her head to the side and looked at him curiously, letting the comment fully sink in.

"You're terrible, you know that?"

In truth, she'd been thinking the same thing. These kids, all of them, it seemed, obviously had a large lack of discipline growing up. They all acted like barbarous animals, coming to blows with one another over the most trivial of matters, acting out purely to bring more attention upon themselves, the list continued on and on. Honestly, most of these kids acted like they were raised in a barn, from the loud-mouthed gay kid who was far too open with his sexuality for anyone's tastes to the smart-mouthed Vietnamese girl who'd kicked the door down as a means of escaping the room.

But she really shouldn't think those things. Like it or not, these were her classmates.

The subject of their fellow roommates subsided and Edgar just as quickly brought up the capabilities of Hobbsborough's school choir. Maggie's eyes lit up at the question. Now this was more like it. A civil conversation with someone who wouldn't turn into a raving lunatic over the most trivial of things, that was what she needed. Smiling a bit as the question passed over his lips, Maggie shrugged lightly.

"We're pretty good, I guess. We've got a lot of really talented singers in the choir. They all push us to do our best, you know? But yeah... we went to a national competition in Washington D.C. last year... before the merger."

Maggie trailed off a bit as she ended her sentence. Much like many of the other things at Hobbsborough High, the choir had gone a bit downhill since St. Andrew's was merged with Southside. While they were still by all rights good, Maggie had noted their performance level had dropped drastically when the merger took place. A lot of the Southside kids they had accumulated were lousy singers and only joined choir as a slack-off period. It disgusted her how people could join a class they cared nothing about for an easy A.

Then again, not much surprised her these days. She'd almost come to expect it. While Maggie had previously excelled at school and proudly boasted one of the highest GPAs in the class, her average had dropped considerably in the past year, and she'd almost come to feel as though school was a chore... as though she was only sent here to help babysit the students who weren't yet capable of independent and rational thought. Sighing a bit, she turned back to Edgar, a smile still on her face.

"You didn't strike me as a singer. Glad to know that there are some people around who aren't an open book for the world to read. Makes life a little more interesting, don't you think?"

Her attention momentarily turned to the duo of Andrew Swainson and Nich Finlayson as they headed for the now broken down classroom door, exiting without a care in the world. Mrs. Saranna was still glued to her cell phone, and must have been having a very intimate and attention-getting conversation, because she seemed to pay no heed to the fact that An Linh Tuan had knocked her door off the hinges, and even less attention to the fact that the dynamic duo of Andrew and Nich had just exited the classroom.

riserugu Posted: Aug 1 2006, 01:34 PM  
A yawn escaped through the copper-haired boy when Maggie made her quiet observation of the darkly dressed Siouxsie, he not quite catching what she had said in full but eyeing her lightly he somewhat followed where she seemed to be looking at. A bemused look crossing over features as they continued with their open conversation to the class, if not the world, raising a brow again as Andi and Siouxsie began to speak amongst one another. Siouxsie poking fun at Andi and Peter, while Andi bit back with a comment of his own – really now, bringing a hand up to rub at his neck, he couldn't help the sigh that escaped him as he turned his attention on Peter for the moment.

Least Peter seemed to be a dignified person in his own sense; he seemed to have a personality that differed from the... rather loud and distracting people he hung out with. "A bit sad." He breathed out, but then again – wasn't their that whole 'don't judge a book by its' cover' kind of saying, he knew his grandmum always used to beat it into him – though oddly enough it was her that he took after in terms of thought process, and what made him, as quoted from his father; 'far too opinionated for your own good'.

Turning away from the trio, he silently stared forward for a moment – just rather trying to absorb what was going on (though blocking out a few choice people) as he allowed himself to more or less delve into thoughts, namely what he had to do when he got out of here. No doubt drama practice would be canceled what with the star lying dead in the bathroom from unknown causes.

He had no clue when his dad would get home from work so that meant another night to himself most likely, a glance toward his wrist-watch toward him if they let classes out anytime soon he might have a chance to run to the bus stop and take one to get into town. Though if they kept them in lockdown any longer than the normal school hours, he'd have to take a later bus – and probably wouldn't have much time left in the visiting hours at the hospital.

Though as he heard a laugh break through off to his side, he blinked – glancing Maggie's way, watching a bit before she spoke. At this time, it was becoming very hard to fight the musing grin curling against lips, shaking his head with a short laugh as he glanced toward Maggie. "Terrible? I don't think I'm terrible – bluntly honest, perhaps. But I don't think terrible really suits me too well. Anyway, it isn't if those guys even know I was talking about them, too inapt."

She seemed to trail off, going on to answer the question he had offered up about the choir, listening lightly as she spoke. Somewhat displeased at her words, perhaps so that boys where never ones to step up and verbally admit doing something like choir. He never quite understood why, suppose that was the way today's society worked – though as far back as he allowed himself to remember he had always been involved in singing someway. His mother used to sing, all the time – she still does, sometimes when he'd come to visit her, she be sitting there, knitting something and humming the same tune he used to hear when she'd sing him to sleep when he was little.

He had been in the choir for church, when he had gone – it had been a good month since his last visit, been in choir at school up until last year in the eighth grade, when he had dropped out because of the fact they did nothing in there but goof off, the teacher not caring either way what happened with the class. It was an elective course, meaning in some students and teachers eyes it didn't matter. It was probably then that Edgar allowed himself to become more concerned in schoolwork than anything, probably the main reason he was sitting in the tenth grade now instead of being ninth grade with the classmates he had grown up with all those years.

Her statement caused him to blink once again, allowing a smile to cross features, as he leaned back into his seat once more. "Quite a lot more interesting, learning something new about someone always is. I've sung for a long time -- I'm sort of in a band of sorts, lead vocals because I can't play a guitar or anything. Though, learning something new about someone can be annoying, be it because of people shouting it across the room – as such, case in point." He said with a nod toward the ever-babbling form of Siouxsie and Andi, "Ever the repetitive bunch don't you think? I think the last twenty minutes have been the same thing of them making some mention of either of the boys being gay, the one girl making a innuendo of some sort, Andi telling her to 'shut up' and it all starts over again – like a pointless circle of life."

It was at that point that the circle seemed to continue along its tracks, and once more Siouxsie and Andi went back and forth to one another – though this time something a bit different happen, with Peter more or less shouting at Siouxsie for her comments to Andi. Edgar having to admit, least to himself, he was having a hard time not cracking up at the sight – mentally adding a couple more respect points to the boy, perhaps he wasn't as bad as his friends and seemingly boyfriend, though still...

Though as he sat there watching the trio lightly as they went about their business – he couldn't help but glance up and anyway from them as the shrill school bell ripped through the room. The crackle of the intercom system soon following, and one of the schools' officials going on over, "Due to an unfortunate accident..." So they weren't going to outright admit murder, suicide... whatever; perhaps for the better – even though he had a feeling that everyone probably already knew.

"Classes will be cut short today, and classes for tomorrow will be also be canceled as we look into the this situation. As you're dismissed, do not linger on the campus; all students must leave the campus within the hour. This is all for now, we'll see you all back on Thursday."

That said, the intercom system cut off and another bell rang through the school, Edgar sighing in turn and raising up from his desk – grabbing at his school bag. Thank goodness for small favors, he was getting out or this class – and better yet, he didn't have to deal with asinine conversations anymore. A glance over the room told him that some students hadn't cared with the lockdown had been called off before or not, some had already left – their teacher had finally got off her phone and was now supervising over getting her door out from the middle of the hall. Muttering something toward the workers about crazy martial artists with no sense in using the doorknob.

Either way, some students had already begun filing out, glancing toward his watch again toward him that there was still a little over an hour and a half until the bus he took into town left – no point in going early, mum was usually in therapy at this time anyway. Now he needed something to do for an hour and a half – wonderful. Maybe if he hurried he could make it and take a bus to Parkway, and then take a bus downtown later -- that could work, thier was supposed to be a new bookstore of sorts that had opened, selling second-hand books at half-price the usual. Worth checking out he supposed...
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

(("Another Day in Homeroom..." continued))

Megami Posted: Aug 2 2006, 08:41 PM  
As Edgar laid his credentials in the musical arts department out for her, Maggie couldn't help but raise her eyebrows in curiosity. She had been rather taken aback by the fact that Edgar seemed interested in Hobbsborough's choir, and she was even more surprised to find out about his history in music. Most of the guys who showed any interest whatsoever in Hobbsborough's music department joined up for one of two reason.

One, they wanted a slack-off period to stand around in and up their grade point average. Two, and the surprisingly more common one, they joined choir hoping to impress one of the choir girls. She'd seen it a dozen times. They'd join the class and actually try to sing in an attempt to impress a certain special someone, and more often than not, wound up making complete fools of themselves and ruining the entire choir with their offkey singing.

Finding someone who was actually interested for a reason other than those two was a refreshing change of pace. Maggie certainly thought the choir could use more people like that... more people who were passionate about music and the desire to perform and excel at it. Once again, her thoughts were distracted by the obnoxiously loud talking of Andi Ayala and Souixie Souix across the room. Honestly, didn't they have anything better to talk about? Souixie seemed bent on announcing to the world that both Andi and Peter Rosenthal were gay, and she was doing a fantastic job of it.

When Peter jumped to his feet and verbally assaulted Souixie, however, Maggie was quite taken aback by the site. To some degree, it was quite humorous. However, she couldn't help but sympathize with Peter. What with his social status and all, coming out period would probably be rough on him, even more so since a large portion of the school he attended, herself included, were devout Catholics who saw his entire lifestyle as a sin.

Maggie, however, hadn't necessarily been brought up on the strict Catholic beliefs that condemned people like Andi and Peter to Hell for their sins. Rather, her father had taught her faith and spirituality, but also to live and let live. Carpe diem. With all the homophobes and religious zealots in the world, people who chose that sort of lifestyle had a hard enough time, and Maggie truly commended Peter, Andi, and the other students of her school who lived their life the way they believed was right, even under such scrutinizing, belittling, and judgemental eyes.

Besides, you love who you love, right? It's not like you really have a choice in the matter.

At least, that's what she'd always been told. Maggie turned toward Edgar once again, about to enquire about his band. As she opened her mouth, however, the shrill and deafening sound of the school bell ringing filled the room, and the crackling of the intercom echoed momentarily before a member of the staff came on, announcing that school would be released early today and cancelled the following Wednesday. Knitting her eyebrows a bit, an expression of puzzlement formed on the blonde's face.

"They're evacuating the school?" she mused audibly, trying to make sense of it all.

In a way, it was a good thing. A very good thing. If they were evacuating the school, that meant that they very possibly could've ruled out murder as the cause of the late Kim Jones-Larame's death. It was a relief, really. Surely, nobody at Hobbsborough High School was capable of murder. Maggie hadn't wanted to believe it when the rumors and speculation had enshrouded the classroom earlier. Nobody in this school was capable of taking the lives of others. Especially the St. Andrew's branch. After all, murder was the ultimate sin.

Perhaps soon they'd solve this mystery and things would return to some state of normalcy around the high school. She certainly hoped so. Her attention once again turned to Edgar, who seemed to be deep in contemplation. It wasn't every day that they released school this early, and it was even less often that the school called for a day off. Most likely, it had left a lot of students pondering what to do for the next day and a half of freedom that they had. Edgar was probably one of them. She opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by a buzzing echoing out from the side pocket of her backpack.

"Hang on a second," she mused, reaching down for the pink Jansport backpack that currently sat beside her desk and removing the pink Motorola RAZR from the side pocket. Flipping it open, she placed it up to her ear, mouthing a "Sorry" to Edgar in the process.

"...Hello?" the blonde answered in a quiet voice.

Even from where Edgar was, the sound of a male voice echoing from the phone a few decibels too high was clearly audible. Not enough to make out what he was saying, but it could be heard, nonetheless.

"Everything's fine, Shawn... something happened to one of my classmates in the bathroom... they haven't told us anything... I don't know, they pulled a couple kids out of class for questioning, but I don't think it's -- oh... Really though, everything's okay... alright. Alright... bye."

Closing the phone with a bit of a click and shoving it in the back pocket of her pants, Maggie sighed a bit and shook her head.

"My brother," she stated simply, "He worries too much."

Indeed, Shawn Heartgreeder, Maggie's 17 year-old brother, came off as a bit of a worrywart at times, and certainly came off as a bit overprotective. He hadn't really crossed her mind throughout the entire lockdown, but apparently he'd been rather panicky upstairs when he'd heard some bizarre occurance had happened to one of the blonde-haired sophomores in the bathroom. Shawn, being the ever paranoid person he was, had almost instantly assumed an ill-fated accident had befallen his sister, and had called as soon as he possibly could.

"I'll have to hang around for a bit to wait on him," she said, pausing momentarily before continuing, "... What do you have planned now that we have to leave campus?"

It was a simple enough question, and was her way of making smalltalk until her brother arrived from his class halfway across campus and ultimately decided their next destination. Absent-mindedly grabbing at her backpack, she shoved her journal, along with the contents of her desk, into the pink bag and slung it over her shoulder before leaning against the desk a bit, her eyes fixated on the doorway in anticipation of her older brother's arrival.

riserugu Posted: Aug 9 2006, 09:40 PM  
He watched a bit lightly about the room as he pressed against his desk somewhat – wanting to rather wait out till a majority of his classmates had departed before he tried to get out the doorway. Edgar found himself distracted a bit when he noted moment from where Maggie had been, glancing her way as she seemed to move to say something but was cut off as a odd buzzing sound filtered throughout the air and Maggie went about digging through the side pocket of her backpack, producing a phone which she promptly answered; mouthing a word of sorry his way which he simply waved off with a smile and went back to watching his classmates exit the room.

Though when a audible, though from where he stood he couldn't make out the words, loud voice seemed to press over the chatter of his fellow classmates – Edgar almost couldn't help but cast a rather questioning glance Maggie's way. Listening lightly as she seemed to try and calm down the person on the other side of the line, speaking for a moment before giving parting words and closing her cell phone, Edgar finding himself watching a bit more as she went on explaining to him who that had been the copper-haired boy nodding slightly.

"Older brother?" He repeated... sifting his bag slightly. "By the sounds of it he sounds quite overprotective."

A passing emotion flashed through his mind, though before he allowed himself to act on it, pushed it back into the back. Shaking his head lightly as he found himself being questioned, Ed looking a bit thoughtful at the question before he questioned. "There's not that much to do... but I'm planning on either heading down to Parkway; heard they had some bookstore open that sells a lot of good books for half-price, or head downtown and find something to do until 5:30."

His attention drifted again from the door, to his watch, back to Maggie.

"What about you? You have anything planned?"

((Short, but I'm really blah at the moment. My groove just isn't there. I blame this cold.))  

Megami Posted: Aug 16 2006, 09:27 PM  
Taking note of Edgar's vocalized plans for the remainder of the day, Maggie smiled lightly, though the comment about her overprotective brother continued to ring out in her train of thought. Overprotective didn't even begin to describe the way Shawn oftentimes acted toward her, and she never really understood why. Perhaps it was simply because she was the baby of the Heartgreeder family, the only girl, and Shawn's only sibling. That's what she'd always written it off as, anyway.

"Bookstore, huh?"

She mused the thought almost absent-mindedly. She didn't go to Parkway often. Apparently, back in the day, it was quite the fancy-schmansy outdoor mall. Now, however, it was just a shell of its former self. The only shops that occupied the complex now were thrift and second-time-around shops, and the only time Maggie ever made a trip down there was to donate this or that to the Salvation Army that was stationed therein.

"I'm not much for novels and whatnot," she confessed, attempting to prolong the conversation at the obvious lack of effort on Edgar's part to barge from the doorway along with the herd of classmates currently exiting, "I like poetry. It's more personal... comes from the heart, you know?"

Truthfully, Maggie was quite the romantic. She enjoyed poetry because it oftentimes expressed a person's most intimate and personal thoughts. At least, the poetry she wrote always did. She often published it in the school paper, though she'd never own up to it being hers out of sheer embarrassment. Being a timid and almost reclusive person, she was almost afraid of what would come from her name being forever enscriptured beside some of the heartfelt and thoughtful poems she often wrote.

Her thoughts came to an abrupt hault as a tall figure appeared in the doorway of Mrs. Saranna's room, pushing by the teacher and the flood of students exiting the room with relative ease. Above the other students exiting the door, save one or two, a head full of gelled red hair was clearly visible: it was a trait Shawn Heartgreeder took from his father. Come to think of it, Shawn held quite the resemblance to their father, not bearing many of his mother's features at all. Maggie, on the other hand, was the spitting image if Juliya Heartgreeder in every sense of the word.

Shawn pushed through the room, the worried and frantic expression on his face gradually fading into a relieved smile as he saw that indeed, his baby sister was safe and sound as she'd proclaimed earlier. Inwardly breathing a sigh of relief, Shawn approached the blonde-haired girl who'd been instructed to wait on him, stopping only momentarily to cast a sidelong glance at the scrawny copper-headed boy who was currently engaged in conversation with his sister. A puzzled look passed over Shawn's features, he didn't have a clue who the kid was. Just as quickly, however, it faded away.

"Hey," Maggie mused, folding her arms over her chest lightly as her older brother approched herself and Edgar.

Although she caught the offhand glance he threw at the boy currently in her company, she did nothing to introduce the two, knowing that Shawn would most likely interrogate her about her newfound companion at the nearest opportunity. Of course, she would be right. Not giving Shawn time to get a word in edgewise, she spoke up once again, her voice gradually becoming more audible as the herd of students filtered from the room.

"So where to now?" she inquired.

That was the question of the day, indeed. Neither Mister nor Missus Heartgreeder were currently at the house, as school had let out quite early. Truth was, they were probably stuck in that traffic jam outside that still congested the nearby roadway. Purely for that reason, "home" didn't seem the logical place to go. Shawn shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. He didn't care.

"I dunno," he muttered, all the while casting a somewhat disgusted glare at some of the lingering kids in the classroom, "What'd you have in mind?"

"It doesn't matter..."

Ever indecisive Maggie. Never one to speak up and make her own decisions, never one to protest the decisions that were made. Now, as always, was one of those times. Whatever Shawn said, she'd smile and go along with it willingly. It was just easier that way, she'd learned. Shawn, however, seemed to have no clue where their journey would next lead them, and for once, the pressure was put on Maggie. He once again shrugged his shoulders and leaned against the wobbly fixture of a desk that sat behind him, letting a yawn escape his lips.

riserugu Posted: Aug 23 2006, 11:00 PM  
(*melo-dramatic arm fail* *brain dead* x.x This sucks.)

He mused a bit, tilting his head somewhat as the girl spoke – a hand moving upward and wrapping about the curve of his neck to itch at a spot that had been bothering him for the past few moments. Smiling lightly as he fixed himself back upright, "Poetry?" He repeated, looking a bit thoughtful over the subject before shrugging a bit. "I've never been to fond of poetry truth be told – maybe perhaps because I can never get into them. Most these days are too short, and those that are longer after a while I can't understand what their trying to get at."

Poetry also seemed to be so focused around the subject of love – be it first, new, lost, stolen, dead, or broken – if there were any creative juices that a person had to write about it they did. Edgar just found highly over-rated in quite a few senses, though perhaps it was because he was still rather young in a sense, and something he wasn't interested in his daily life probably wouldn't interest him in the time he spent away from the said life. Novels on the other hand were always usually long, and he managed to find the right one could keep his interest until the very last page. Though as of late, the three bookstores located in the downtown mall where quite lacking in anything interesting, mostly books for teenyboppers, the whole 'love-at-first-sight' deal in all of them.

The thoughts were pressed a bit back when the sight of a person approaching them caught Edgar's attention, eyes casting up from where he had been focusing on the ground. Eyeing the red-haired male with a small look, figuring this to be Maggie's brother – though they certainly didn't look a thing like. A small look between confirmed this fact even more on this – perhaps they where half or maybe even more likely stepsiblings? Though he figured it best not to bring up the subject, this time, and place not being the truthfully best of the sorts. Ed instead allowed his attention to fall back on the brother who had walked in.

The offhanded glance in a somewhat confused manner of speaking sent his way caused Edgar to press a light smile of sorts against lips as he turned back to watching Maggie as a question was exchanged between the two siblings. Siblings. Lips pursed a bit in a thoughtful manner, he really wondered sometimes about what it would have been like to have a younger or older siblings around – childhood perhaps wouldn't have been so boring. Though by words exchanged between his family, and this other in New York that thought perhaps wouldn't be so far-fetched as he would have like to think; a older sibling – if he wasn't mistaken was only about thirteen to fourteen months older than he was.

Though supposed it all really didn't matter in the end...

Thoughts once more were pushed back as an odd buzzing sound pulsed through out the partly, now, empty classroom. Edgar casting his side bag a sidelong glance as he unzipped the said bag, removing the vibrating cell phone with a curious look. If it weren't for his parent's paranoia on what he did he wouldn't have one of things, and thus wouldn't have to worry about them. But since his mother's entrance into the hospital, his father seemed to have gotten even worse than before. And a glance at the screen, answered the already known question as he clicked the green button and placed it up along his ear. "Dad."

He now suddenly felt how Maggie felt just a second ago as a loud burst of a voice sounded from the other end, Ed closing his eyes for a brief moment as he brought the phone away from his ear. Least long enough for his father to clam down a slight bit, "No, no. I'm fine – really, I was in class when it happened so really – I assure you I'm not dead or anything, I am talking to you aren't I?"

Sometimes he wished his father wasn't a police officer for the state, and then perhaps he wouldn't get information so quickly. And Ed wouldn't have to deal with the likes of this, though after another moment of getting the 'ungrateful-son' speech that was quite common place between the father and son of the Judah family, he went on to more questions – though this at least he could answer. "Yeah, we got out of school early so I'm probably going to head down to Parkway for a bit and look around; after that I'm going to head to the hospital to see mom. I would go now, but I like she's in her therapy, and I don't have the patience to sit around in a hospital waiting room for long periods of time."

More talking – least on his dad's part was exchanged, Edgar answering when he needed to – more or less silly questions as to when he was going to get home, and what he was going to do for dinner. Though the next subject his father brought up hit a slight bit off-guard with him, "They what me to come to the funeral?" He muttered back in a curious tone, sighing in the end. "Well you can tell the doctors' sorry, I'm not one for them and further more I didn't know the kid."

The tone of voice was brought up to a higher yell again, Edgar casting a frown as he allowed his voice to drop.

"Brother or not you see what he did – it's all his fault this is happening."

That said he clicked the phone off and tossed it back into the inner workings of his bag, sighing as he glanced at his watch a bit. Frowning, glancing up he smiled a slight bit at Maggie. "Sorry, but I got to be off – if I want to catch my bus I should be going. It was nice talking to you today, I rather enjoyed having a nice conversation for once."  

Megami Posted: Aug 24 2006, 11:13 PM  
The buzzing noise in the side pocket of Edgar's bag caught Maggie's attention and she looked on in curiosity as the copper-haired boy fished the phone from the pocket and answered it momentarily. The booming voice that echoed from the other side was very reminiscent of the voice she'd encountered only minutes before in the form of the brother that had taken a leaning stance on the desk beside her. Shawn, too, appeared to be watching Edgar with a semblance of curiosity as he answered the phone.

The siblings exchanged a light glance between themselves, Maggie knowing full well that she'd been interrupted in the middle of their conversation not long ago by the ringing of a cell phone, and thus having an emphatic understanding of the copper-headed young man's current situation. Maggie couldn't help but allow a warm smile to grace her features as she overheard Edgar attempting to explain that he was indeed alive and well to his father.

Though in all honesty, she was curious as to how his father could've found out about the incident so quickly. Had it already been leaked out into the public? That was always a possibility, though the more likely one was that Ed's father had access to a police scanner or other device of the sort. Of course, that didn't really cross Maggie's mind. She had no idea what sort of work Edgar's father was employed in. The conversation was rather reminiscent of her last conversation with Shawn -- that is, until the words "funeral" came into play.

Knowing that it wasn't any of her business, but her curiosity piquing at the remark anyway, Maggie looked on, hoping Ed wouldn't mind the eavesdropping on the part of both herself and her brother. The truth was, it was hard not to hear a phone conversation when said person was standing only a few feet away from you. The sudden change in Edgar's voice to one of annoyance and what could almost be construed as hostility took Maggie by surprise, he'd been so calm and relaxed only moments before. Whatever was being said on the other end of that phone must have really gotten under his skin.

Just as quickly, Edgar had hung up the cell phone and had all but dismissed himself from his current company. Maggie, of course, was at a complete loss for words at what had just happened. Whatever Edgar's father had said had certainly seemed to rub the boy the wrong way, that much was a given. Casting a look of concern toward him, she gave him a sympathetic smile as he looked up at her. She'd considered inquiring about the phone conversation, but it really wasn't any of her business. Besides, based on his reactions to his father's words, she could only imagine it was a question best left unasked.

"It was good talking to you," she mused, hoping to avoid a potentially awkward situation. "Guess I'll see you in a few days."

Shawn, meanwhile, was looking off into the expanse of the virtually empty homeroom, save for a few groups of kids here and there who seemed to be lingering around the school for what he could only assume to be various reasons. Although the red-headed boy's phone conversation had sparked his interest as well, he had followed his sister's lead in avoiding the conversation. Sighing a bit as he stared at a Gothic-looking girl standing near two guys, he couldn't help but laugh inwardly at the group.

Really, he felt that way about most of the sophomores at Hobbsborough, save his sister and a select few other individuals. The majority of them were at the point in their lives where they were trying to find some sense of self, and when that happens... well, when that happens, you get Mortisha Addams and her overly feminine guy friend over there. If nothing else, the sophomores were good for a laugh. Most of them were either fifteen and in that awkard, pubescent point in their lives, or sixteen and believing they were invincible because they acquired a laminated piece of paper with their picture on it that stated that they could now officially drive in the state of New Jersey.

"Good to meet you."

The comment was addressed to the red-headed boy and was said almost half-heartedly. He didn't have a clue who the boy was, after all. It had just seemed the courteous thing to do, and Shawn didn't want to seem rude to one of his sister's friends, especially one that judging by the phone conversation wasn't having the best of times at home at present -- or so he could only imagine, what with all the talk of funerals and the consequences of someone's actions.

Tilting his head to the side and yawning idly, Shawn turned toward his sister, a smile forming on his face as he looked at the shorter girl. Going home just seemed pointless at the moment, and honestly, it had been a long while since he and Maggie had really spent any time together. Shawn was most at fault for that, he was the one who was always out with friends and whatnot, Maggie generally stayed at home. It was a shame, really. She was a pretty girl, least in her own right. She was kind, caring, compassionate to a tee. Polite. A person like that should have friends, she shouldn't spend all of her free time at home playing with the family dog.

"We should head out too," he mused, though still having no clue where to go, "Got anywhere in particular in mind?"

Shaking her head slightly, she responded a quick, "Not really," before casting her brother a smile, picking up her backpack, and heading toward the classroom exit, which was now not nearly as congested as it had been only moments before.

Shrugging his shoulders somewhat, Shawn followed en suite, walking behind his sister as she exited the classroom door. It was weird being in Mrs. Saranna's room again. He'd had her for homeroom last year, and needless to say, she hadn't been his favorite teacher. Adjusting the wire-rimmed glasses that adorned his face and idly running his hand through his goatee, Shawn contemplated places to go and things to do. He wasn't used to having free time, nor was he used to spending it with his sister. In truth, he found himself at a loss. He didn't really know what Maggie liked to do, and he couldn't help but feel bad for that.

As if she'd ever complain about where they went anyway. The girl never complained about anything. Ever. In a way, it was a quality Shawn strongly disliked about her. She needed to be more vocal. She was the sort of person whose toes you could step on and who you could insult to no end and she would just smile and take it in stride. People like that were bound to get hurt eventually, and bad. Shawn knew, he used to be one. It had been his sophomore year, the first girl he'd ever dated had virtually ripped his heart out and stomped on it, and that was when Shawn adopted the almost cynical personality he was now owner of. He was determined not to let that happen to his little sister.

The two walked in silence down the flight of stairs through the deserted and desolate place known as Hobbsborough High School, every so often passing a police officer who had remained on the scene to further investigate the happenings surrounding the death of Kim Jones-Larame. A chill ran down Maggie's spine as she caught site of the bathroom in which Kim had died, but she didn't bother to vocalize the thought. Instead, she and Shawn hastily made their way outside and toward the red Dodge Ram that was one of the few remaining vehicles left in the parking lot of the high school after the students had been sent home.

((Continued in: The Fiction We Live))
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Original Post Title: "The Fiction We Live"

Posted by: Megami Aug 28 2006, 10:22 PM
((Continued from: http://z10.DEFUNCT_IF_LINK/SurvivalOfTheF...opic=890&st=0))

It wasn't a very lengthy drive from Hobbsborough High School to Creekmore Park, which was where Shawn and Maggie Heartgreeder had inevitably ended up. Since school had been reduced to nothing and eventually evacuated due to the untimely demise of Sophomore Kim Jones-Larame, the majority of the Hobbsborough students had been left with little to nothing planned for the extended afternoon none of them had planned on receiving. They'd meandered their way around the luscious walking trail surrounding the outskirts of the park for roughly an hour or so, idly talking about their day and avoiding the tender subject of Kim's death, before inevitably deciding to head into the quaint little coffee shop situated across the street from the park.

Shawn had, of course, made a pit-stop at the redge Dodge sitting in the parking lot to retrieve his laptop. Sure, school had been unintentionally cancelled for the next few days, but knowing the dictatorial teacher turned professor that supervised his English class, their papers would be due the day they returned, and Shawn wasn't willing to chance not having a paper to turn in. Sighing a bit, the red-headed boy ticked away hopelessly at the keys on his laptop, every once in a while stopping to glance toward his sister who sat across the booth, her eyes fixated on the breathtaking view of the park that the little coffee shop provided.

"Order number two-hundred sixty two!" the tall raven-haired girl called from behind the counter.

Raising her hand as a signal for Shawn to remain seated, Maggie stood and wandered over to the counter before recovering the orders she and her brother had placed and slowly heading back toward the corner booth in which they were seated. Sliding back into the seat across from her brother before handing him his drink, Maggie leaned back in the booth and closed her eyes momentarily. The day had certainly taken its toll on her, both mentally and physically. The announcements of Kim's death had rocked the entire high school, and although Maggie didn't personally know the girl, she felt some tinge of guilt at the fact that there would be an empty seat in her class when school returned to its session.

"So, who was that guy?" Shawn mused coyly as he continued to monotonously run his fingers over the keys of his laptop.

"What?" Maggie was burst from her thoughts as the question rang from her brother's lips, catching her quite a bit offguard. "What guy?"

"The one that was standing with you in class earlier. The red-headed kid. He a friend?"

An oblivious expression made its way across the blonde-headed girl's features for a moment until the person-in-question finally clicked in her head. Giving her brother a faint smile, she shrugged lightly, "Oh! That's Edgar. At least, I think that's his name. I sort of feel bad, he's been in my class all year but I've never really talked to him until today."

"Yeah?" Shawn mused, a grin forming on his lips. This caused a frown to pass over Maggie's features, she could tell where this was going, "Yes," she stated matter-of-factly, still giving her brother a mock cold stare, "And it's not what you're thinking."

"If it isn't what I'm thinking, then how do you know I'm thinking it?" Shawn replied cynically, causing his sister to cast him a confused glance, "... What?"

A laugh escaped her brother's lips, but all Maggie could do was look on at the red-headed boy across from her in pure bewilderment at the statement he had just made. Of course, all he meant was that if she hadn't been thinking along the same lines he was, she wouldn't have been defending herself. Her brother's wit, however, often flew over Maggie's head. Or maybe she just didn't care enough to sit down and take the time to think about what was being said. Either way, she preferred to just let the subject pass lest Shawn get the wrong idea. How he could ever assume that Edgar, a boy she had never spoken to before that day, was more than a friend was beyond her.

Shaking her head lightly before taking a sip of her drink, Maggie's gaze once again averted itself from the bespectacled boy sitting across from her and to the park across the street. She looked on as an elderly couple walked side-by-side, decked out in running gear. A smile couldn't help but force its way across the blonde's lips at the adorable scene. Unlike most people, Maggie appreciated the small things in life -- the beautiful scenery the park provided, the small bluebirds chirping away in the afternoon sun, the squirrels running freely through the sprawling parks forestry, the odd trail-walker here and there living their life obliviously to everyone and everything else around them. In a way, she hoped days like this would go on forever.

The silence that had formed, despite the white noise created by Shawn's rapid succession of keystrokes across the laptop's keyboard, was suddenly shattered as a jubilant tune emitted from the blonde-headed girl's cell phone, startling her and causing her to jump slightly in her seat as it began ringing. Shawn looked up momentarily as Maggie read over the name on the display and gave her brother an apologetic smile before flipping the phone open to take the call. Perhaps if she'd known the sort of irrational and oblivious statements her best friend would proceed to rattle off to her, she wouldn't have opened the cell phone to begin with. Perhaps if she'd known that very soon, she'd be heeding those words with the utmost of importance, perhaps she might have listened a little closer...  

Posted by: Megami Aug 29 2006, 03:45 PM
((The following dialogue as written for Taylor is taken from the "Irrational Thoughts and Fragmented Dreams..." topic. In no way, shape, or form am I controlling Taylor Brennan.))

The frantic and panicky voice of her best friend and confidante Taylor Brennan on the other end of the cell phone took Maggie visibly aback, causing even Shawn to shoot her a curious look as the string of high-pitched chatter echoed from the small device being held partially away from Maggie's ear.

"... Hello?"

"I have to talk to you. Where are you?"

Taylor was always, always the type of person for idle chit-chat. He could spend hours having a phone conversation with the blonde-headed girl currently wearing a baffled expression in the booth. So, for him to be so up-front and no-nonsense made Maggie feel a bit uneasy.

"I'm with my brother, we're at Sweet Bay."

The voice on the line, still shouting at what could almost be described a hysterical pitch, instantly rebutted her answer with one of his own, "What do you mean you're with your brother? Maggie, listen to me, I know this sounds crazy but I had a psychic premonition..."

At that comment Maggie couldn't help but laugh audibly, and the panic and nervousness that had before filled her stomach and sent an uncomfortable sensation running up her spine evaporated almost instantaneously. Shawn, meanwhile, had aborted any attempt at typing his paper and was now looking at his sister with a befuddled look all his own.

"Taylor... are you on drugs?" Maggie replied, another laugh escaping her lips as the words rolled from her lips. "No I'm not on drugs. Maggie, where are you there is some serious final destination bullshit going on here and I need to talk to you. Maggie... I know I sound crazy."

Shaking her head a bit at Taylor's incessant barraging of questions, she sighed audibly and cast an apologetic glance at Shawn before responding, "I told you, I'm with Shawn. And you're right, Taylor. You sound insane. This isn't a movie, Taylor. You aren't a psychic. You do know you aren't a psychic, don't you?"

The look on Maggie's face caused the red-headed boy across the booth from her to burst into a fit of laughter of his own before finally composing himself and dusting off the thin-rimmed glasses that adorned his rather handsome features. Taylor was unrelenting in his efforts, however, and continued to insist that Maggie head to the Brennan household so he could speak with her.

"Yes, yes I know I'm not a psychic but something really weird is going on. Oh shit... Maggs, just get to my house when you can, I think Austin Spencer just pulled into my driveway."

"Austin Spencer?" Maggie chimed lightly, "Austin Spencer that's in my brother's class? The one who thinks he's a playboy and acts like a complete homophobe?"

"Yes that Austin Spencer. What other Austin's do we know... he was in my dream I left a message on his cell. Just get here as soon as you can. Kay love ya, bye."

Maggie furrowed her brow as she in turn hung up the cell phone and cast a forelorn look at her older brother. Shrugging her shoulders a bit, she inwardly debated whether or not she should proceed to Taylor's house. Obviously, her best friend sought her out urgently, and it was only the right thing to do to at least humor him while he regaled her of psychic premonitions and movie-like fairytales. Still, part of her didn't want to listen to Taylor's sudden bout of insanity.

"What's goin' on?" Shawn inquired in a concerned voice as he took notice of the torn look piercing his sister's features.

"Well..." Maggie mused, looking down at the table instead of at Shawn, "Would you object to going to Taylor's house for a little while? All I got from the phone conversation was a bunch of insane babbling about weird dreams and premonitions. I'm worried about him."

Shawn shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. He wasn't opposed to heading over to Taylor's house for a bit. He actually sort of liked Taylor. He'd become rather used to him being around, what with he and Maggie becoming such good friends at whatnot. Truth be told, Shawn was just glad to see his baby sister socializing with anyone, as she so often seemed to get lost within his shadow. Folding up the laptop with a click, Shawn stood from his seated position and motioned for his sister to follow.

Maggie sighed once again before also rising to her feet and proceeding to follow her brother to the exit of the quaint little coffee shop and through the blazing heat of the parking lot to the red Dodge Ram sitting in solitude not far away. Maggie had, of course, pawned Taylor's babbling and crazy-talk off on his condition. For all she knew, he was suffering from psychosis or temporary insanity or something. That was possible, right? For all the explaining and attempts at brushing off Taylor's words for nothing, Maggie should've been paying a lot more attention, because very soon, she'd be heeding the words now emitting from Taylor's lips.

((Continued in: http://z10.DEFUNCT_IF_LINK/SurvivalOfTheF...howtopic=1262))
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Original Post Title: "Irrational Thoughts and Fragmented Dreams..."

Posted by: Megami Aug 29 2006, 10:37 PM
((Continued from: http://z10.DEFUNCT_IF_LINK/SurvivalOfTheF...1entry1345471))

Maggie Heartgreeder had spent the better part of the car ride to Kensington Heights making a futile attempt to explain to her brother the pure gibberish that had spewed from Taylor Brennan's mouth during the frantic telephone conversation between the two back at Sweet Bay. Of course, any attempt whatsoever to explain the situation to Shawn only left him baffled, because truth be told, Maggie herself was completely and utterly confused by Taylor's nonsensical talk of premonitions and predictions. It wasn't like him at all.

And of course, the only thing that Maggie could possibly attribute Taylor's irrational behavior to was his already fragile health.

Her attention turned momentarily toward the red-headed boy sitting in the driver's seat of the red Dodge Ram, and a faint smile passed over her lips. Out of the corner of his eye, Shawn noticed the blonde-headed girl in the passenger seat of the extended cab truck glancing toward him and made an attempt at smiling back.

"Are you okay?"

It was an awkward and forced question, but at least Shawn was showing some sort of semblance of caring. Shrugging her shoulders lightly, Maggie simply nodded. A puzzled look formed on her features, however, when the bright red car that belonged to one, Austin Spencer, sped away from the Brennan household and out of Kensington Heights. Shawn, being polite, waved to his fellow classmate. Maggie, meanwhile, simply looked on in slight confusion. Had he just come from Taylor's?

"... Magg?" Shawn inquired again after receiving little response from the blonde-headed girl sitting next to him.

"Oh... I'm fine, really," she mused, though the speeding red car couldn't help but hold her attention a moment longer.

Things just seemed to be getting more and more awkward, and fast. Today had already been a ridiculously hectic day, especially after news of Kim Jones-Larame's death had swept Hobbsborough High School. In all honesty, Maggie would've given anything to have been at home resting and recuperating from the momentous events the day had already had to offer. However, she found herself pulling into Taylor's driveway, and let out an audible sigh at what she could only assume was to come.

After parking the car and shutting off the engine, Shawn exited the truck. Taking a moment longer, Maggie sat, contemplating what was sure to follow before inevitably exiting the truck as well. Shawn stood in front of the red vehicle awaiting his sister, and as she approached him he wrapped a comforting arm around her should in some vain effort to comfort her from the disaster that would surely await them inside. Maggie closed her eyes momentarily and attempted to regain herself before ringing the doorbell of the Brennan household.

Taylor... I really hope you're okay.  

Posted by: KASpe_r06 Aug 30 2006, 10:38 AM
Taylor opened the door, far less excited and anxious than before and ushered his friends inside.

"There's soda in the fridge," he muttered, disappearing once again into the kitchen and waiting for the siblings to follow him.

Opening up a can of 7-up Plus, the kind of soda that he liked because it was good for your teeth, Taylor sat down at the bar and sighed.

"I know I sound crazy right now, and maybe I am, but I had a dream today that I remember with more clarity than yesterday afternoon. You've both heard of Survival of the Fittest right? Well I had a dream that we were all in it. We were in a fucking Battle Royale. I didn't even know what Battle Royale was until this afternoon after I had my nightmare. What if we're next... what if it isn't over once they crown the winner?"

He knew they thought he was crazy but he had to talk to someone... what he had dreamt was real, and although no one could understand Taylor knew somehow that they were all screwed. This wasn't like him at all...  

Posted by: Megami Aug 30 2006, 08:21 PM
As the door of the sprawling Brennan mansion creaked open, a sympathetic and concerned smile passed over Maggie's features as Taylor came into view. Just as quickly as Taylor opened the door, she and Shawn were both ushered into the household, and Taylor vanished into the kitchen while mumbling something or another about soda being in the refridgerator. Shawn and Maggie exchanged glances before Shawn shrugged somewhat. Even he knew that Taylor's absent-minded and distracted behavior wasn't normal for the Brennan boy. He was usually so much more social, usually excited to see his best friend.

Inevitably, the two slowly trailed behind Taylor into the kitchen, where Shawn decided to partake of Taylor's offering of soda and retrieved a 7-Up Plus from the refridgerator for himself. Raising one up in the air in an offer to Maggie, she simply shook her head and raised her hands up as if to decline. Once again shrugging, Shawn opened the can of soda with a crack and leaned against the bar where Taylor had sat down. Maggie, meanwhile, stood with her arms folded lightly over her chest, her attention focused on Taylor.

As Taylor began his miniature rant of sorts, Shawn's brow furrowed and he scowled visibly. A battle royale, huh? Like, a wrestling match? Who cares if they're wrestling in the middle of the ocean, dude? Have you lost your fucking mind?

"Taylor..." Maggie's soft-spoken voice broke the silence that had filled the room after Taylor's unveiling of his premonition, "Are you talking about that... show?"

"Survival of the Fittest?" Shawn chimed in, his expression lightening visibly, "Dude, that's not real. It's like... Survivor or something, you know? It's all staged, nobody's really out there dying. You think we'd stand for something like that? We're not some third-world country that can't defend themselves, and given our governments general course of action, if it were real, we'd have already nuked the entire area and killed them all in one fell swoop."

"Shawn..." Maggie interrupted, stopping her brother before he could continue his rant on the U.S. government and their horrendous foreign policy.

"Look man, the point is this. That whole thing is a hoax. And besides, even if it were real, why would they take Hobbsborough kids of all people? We're like... the armpit of the United States or something. This is New Jersey. New York, I can see. It's got all kinds of crime and gang violence and immigration going on and what have you. Florida, California. Stuff like that happens out there. Not in New Jersey."

Shaking her head a bit at her brother's less-than-sympathetic response to Taylor's so-called psychic vision, another sympathetic smile passed over Maggie's features as she looked at the boy seated at the bar, "It was just a dream, Taylor. That's all. Don't worry about it, 'kay? Even if that... that thing... is real--"

"It's not real, Magg," Shawn interrupted in an attempt to correct his sister, "They don't make trading cards and video games of terrorist acts. They don't market and publicize things like that, and they wouldn't air it on every big-name television station across the U.S. Nobody'd take to that, it'd insight a damned revolution or something."

As much as she hated to admit it, her red-headed counterpart did have a very valid point. They'd marketted Survival of the Fittest to its fullest potential. Trading cards had been made, DVDs, apparently a video game was in the works, people had written novels, plays, the "students" had published auto-biographies and all sorts of other merchandising propoganda. If it really were happening, well, it just didn't seem right. It wasn't right.

"The point is, you just had a bad dream. Even if it was real, what are the odds that it would be us?"  

Posted by: KASpe_r06 Aug 31 2006, 06:10 PM
Broken, Taylor Brennan sighed, "yeah I guess you're both right. I got worked up over nothing. This isn't like me you know that."

Brushing a lock of soft wavy bang out of his face Taylor looked at his best friend and her fiery headed brother and did his best to force one of his million dollar smiles.

"You know I'm probably just upset about what happened today," the class president admitted, "I still can't believe Kim's gone. It's so surreal. We weren't even that great of friends with her and I feel like I've lost something inside. I guess we're all just on edge what with the murder and all."

Knowing that this wasn't it Taylor forced himself to believe it anyway.

"I probably have heard of Battle Royale, I just don't remember. it's probably buried somewhere in my subconscious."

Opening the kitchen door to the garage he pushed the button to the middle stall. It creaked closed behind him as Taylor looked to the Heartgreeders and continued.

"Erin's on a date with that Spencer jerk by the way. I swear he's worse than his friend Colt Valero and the rest of those baseball pricks from Franklyn. I guess it could be worse though, Eric Silvestedt could be banging my sister."

Taylor deperately wanted to let his best friend know he was okay now and was thusly doing his best to change the topic. Realizing they had nothing to do but agree with his last statement he continued, breaking the awkward silence.

"So my parents are leaving on a jet plane for Cancun as we speak, are you two gonna help me set up for the party this weekend?"  

Posted by: Megami Sep 1 2006, 11:17 PM
Nodding sympathetically as Taylor apologized for his irrational and unusual behavior, Maggie sauntered over to her companion and best friend and placed a thoughtful hand on his shoulder. Taylor was obviously going through some emotional issues, and Maggie couldn't help but wonder if perhaps more was going on in Taylor's life than met the eye. She was Taylor Brennan's best friend, she had been since freshman year, but there were some secrets that she figured even she didn't know about Taylor -- there were certainly secrets she'd never told Taylor or anyone else about herself.

"Do you really think it was a murder?" Maggie questioned lightly as the subject travelled from Survival of the Fittest to the death of Kim Jones-Larame. "As far as I know, the cops didn't arrest anyone or anything, so I don't think they're looking at this like a murder case."

"Kim was a fake," Shawn stated simply, his shoulders shrugging as he did so. His reaction caused his sister to cast a rather sharp glare at him over his nonchalance on the matter.

"Shawn, regardless of your opinion of her, there's no need to talk about the deceased like that. It just isn't right. You'd think father would have taught you better than that."

"All I'm saying is that I think Kim faked a lot of things about herself. I don't think she was this two-dimensional, no-brained bimbo that she presented herself to be. I don't think she was really some spoiled rotten little brat who got everything handed to her on a silver platter and whose life was so much better than everyone else's that we all failed by comparison. I think Kim had problems just like everyone else, and maybe Kim had serious problems that no one at school knew about. You ever think of that?"

"Well... no," Maggie confessed quietly.

"For all we know, Kim could've gone into that bathroom and slit her own throat because she was having trouble at home or something. Her family could've gone bankrupt or her dog could've been hit by a train or... we just don't know, you know? Far be it for us to judge somebody when we really know next to nothing about them."

Shawn's verbal tirade concerning the circumstances surrounding Kim's death caused the blonde-headed girl standing near Taylor to revert to silence. Of course, he had a point. Nobody really knew what was going on with Kim, save probably her close friends. The girl could have been seriously depressed and putting on a front and nobody would have ever known. It was plausible, and it was very possible. As Taylor stood and exited the room, Maggie and Shawn followed en suite. At the boy's remark about his sister having left for a date with Austin Spencer, the two's interests piqued.

"Must've been why we passed him on the way here," Maggie mumbled to herself. "You don't like Colt, Taylor?"

Although she didn't know him very well, Colton Valero, more commonly known as Colt to friends and foes alike, was an acquaintance of the younger Heartgreeder sibling and a friend of the older one's. Maggie halfway expected Shawn to reprimand Taylor for calling his friend a jerk, but much to her surprise, Shawn began laughing. Turning her attention to her brother with a questioning look, the red-headed boy simply shrugged his shoulders.

"He's pretty much right on target," Shawn mused, still laughing lightly, "Colt's a prick. At least with Austin, she's less likely to get an STD or something. He dates a lot of girls, but he's not really well known for getting around. Not from what I've heard, anyway. 'Course, I could be wrong. I'm not exactly the end-all, be-all of high school gossip. Believe that kid's in YOUR class."

Taylor was quick to once again change the topic, this time to an upcoming party. Perhaps he wasn't very comfortable with the idea of Austin or anyone else sleeping with his younger sister, and Shawn could sympathize. Maggie, however, was disgusted with the entire conversation. After all, she'd been preached the righteousness of abstinance since she was still in diapers, so the thought of freshmen, students even younger than herself, having sex period really turned her off the subject.

"Party, huh? Sounds fun," Shawn mused before turning toward his baby sister and speaking to her in a teasing tone, "You gonna invite Edward?"

Letting out a bit of an exasperated sigh, Maggie cast him a glare, "For starters, his name's Edgar, and no, I mean... I don't know. Shut up."

The blonde began laughing and Shawn followed en suite. Shaking her head lightly, her attention turned back to her brother momentarily, and all of a sudden, she felt the need to explain, "It's not even like that. He's just a guy in my class. No different from Taylor, except well, not into guys... at least, I don't think so. Then again, the sexual orientation of half my classmates tends to tell me otherwise."

Her attention turned away from her brother and back toward Taylor. Maggie wasn't much for parties. She didn't drink, she didn't do drugs, she was in favor of abstinance until marriage, so all in all, parties seemed pointless to her. Of course, she'd go anyway, because Taylor was her best friend and he'd be the one throwing it. Knowing this, she couldn't help but inquire out of curiosity, "So who all's coming, anyway?"  

Posted by: MooCow Sep 11 2006, 03:57 PM
Taylor couldn't help but be amused as the two siblings bickered.

"As for Kim, Shawn's right. No one's life is perfect, I'm sure Kim was no exception... I do think it might be murder though... I mean we were under our desks today for a reason. Don't you all think we would have just been let out of class early if she had killed herself? It's just all so surreal right now I mean I keep thinking she's not really dead... when you're young you plan on living forever."

Trying to get away from the morbid topic he addressed Maggie's question about the party, "It's open invite, I figured at first I'd just have a couple people over, but the word is spreading so fast I figure why not go all out? The party of the year. I imagine it'll be a lot of people, and not just people from Hobbsborough... I have some friends at some of the public schools and Gilroy that I think are coming. I'm gonna try and keep everything outside because I really don't want to deal with the mess. Thank God for acreage right? I figure it'll be BYOB, I don't want to deal with getting a keg and shit... Erin tried throwing a kegger at her dad's house and she got busted big time.'
"Anyway Magg if you wanna sleep over you're more than welcome. That way you wont have to be home for curfew right? My uncle is gonna be staying with us but he's totally cool. Shawn you're welcome to stay to, if your buds and you need a place to crash after getting shitfaced. I don't plan on drinking to much but I'm not gonna try and stop people because I know it's inevitable these days."

A bark came from the doorway, as the little mexican chihuahua the Brennan family so adored came scuttering into the kitchen in full attack mode.

"Arf! Arf!"

"Carly!" Taylor yelled as the dog, not much larger than Shawn's shoe, attempted to snap viciously at the boys foot.

He thinks he's bigger than he is... like he could do any damage in an actual crisis situation.

He'd said these words so many times he didn't even need to reclarify for the Heartgreeders, who by now were used to the little mexican bitch's antics.

Picking the dog up in one fell swoop of his left arm he scolded her.

"You say sorry to Shawn, Shawn is our friend."

"Arf!"

Carly growled under her breath.

"I don't know what the hell I'm gonna do with her Saturday. I don't who's in more danger, her or the drunks."

Laughing he pet her long stringy hair, scratching Carly's neck underneath the pink spiked collar.

"So anyway yeah, Satuday is gonna be awesome!"  

Posted by: Megami Sep 14 2006, 09:55 PM
((Sorry pumpkin, I haven't been motivated to write lately.))

The blonde-headed girl only listened half-heartedly as Taylor spoke of the deceased Kim Jones-Larame. Taylor seemed to be thinking far too deeply about their classmate's death, speculating it as a murder and not a suicide based on the fact that the school was sent into lockdown after her body was recovered from the women's restroom. Then again, what were they supposed to do? After all, the entire school was the scene of a crime, and the investigators were trying to preserve evidence. After all, they couldn't very well have students loitering about the hallways, skipping school, and meandering into the bathroom turned crime scene, now could they?

At least, that was how Maggie had thought of it. In all honesty, she'd never really sat down and thought about twisted tails of murder and betrayal in their own high school, nor did she want to. The Heartgreeder girl had always tried to see the good in all people, and she couldn't even begin to fathom how someone she saw every day could defile the sanctity of another human being and end their life. It was simply incomprehensible, and Maggie absolutely refused to believe that any of her peers were capable of such a cold-blooded and ruthless action.

Shaking thoughts of murderous intentions from her mind, Maggie focused her attention on Taylor and his explanation of what he claimed would be the party of the year. Taylor Brennan of all people should have known that Maggie wasn't much when it came to parties. She didn't drink, she didn't smoke. She was a good girl, a righteous girl. Even still, Taylor always threw fantastic parties, and it was sure to be the Hobbsborough social event of the year. Maybe it would even take everyone's minds off the fact that Miss Jones-Larame wouldn't be attending this year's party.

Sighing a bit at the thought, her attention immediately turned back to the intricate details and specifics of Taylor's party as she attempted to completely shut Kim from her mind. It just didn't feel right. It didn't feel right to be planning out the biggest party of the year when less than twenty-four hours prior a classmate of theirs -- someone they had gone to school with for what seemed like ever -- someone they had associated with for what seemed like ages -- had died a presumably messy and gorey death in the bathrooms of Hobbsborough High School. Nothing seemed right about it at all.

Maggie couldn't help but jump at the shrill, high-pitched barking that echoed from the hallway. As the Brennan's chihuahua throttled into the kitchen in full-on assault mode and began rampantly attacking her brother's shoe, Maggie couldn't help but stifle her laughter. Shawn, meanwhile, looked on at the chocolate colored dog in mild amusement. As Taylor scooped her up, Shawn's somewhat befuddled look turned into a grin and he shook his head.

"Quite the little attack dog, isn't she? You can always sic her on the police if they bust this place."

"Or, you know, Austin, if he decides to show up," Maggie chimed.

She could picture it even now, Austin completely plastered and passed out in the front yard with Carly gnawing feverishly on his jeans. Even if she didn't drink, she had to admit, the night could definitely turn into an interesting one. Smiling vaguely at the thought, she was interrupted as another question passed from her brother's lips.

"Should be cool," he mused, "But what happens if this place gets busted? You think your neighbors are gonna be cool with a bunch of underage high school kids drinking and puking all over the front lawn?"

"Lovely wording," Maggie mused.

"I'm not in English class," Shawn answered casually, "I don't have to be poetic in front of Taylor. Was I supposed to phrase it as, but alas, young master, what if thine festival is perpetrated by the unholiest of swine and we're forced to... get the hell out of dodge?"

Stifling a giggle at her brother's idiocity, Maggie simply shook her head. Despite the joking nature of which the question was brought up, it still remained. In all honesty, though, with the city going on such high budgetting costs as of late, Maggie seriously doubted that a party at the Brennan household was in danger of being busted anytime soon. One of the girls who lived down the street on... Ramsgate, perhaps, threw parties all the time and never seemed to have a problem with the local authorities. Odds are, the police officers on duty, who were in short supply already, would be policing the mall parking lot or Tilles Court before they ever crossed over into this region of town.

"So what do you have planned, Taylor?" she inquired casually, a bit disappointed that she wasn't given a sneak preview of the guest list.  

Posted by: MooCow Sep 22 2006, 03:56 PM
"Well I know you aren't into the drinking scene Maggs but I don't see anyway to keep people who are gonna sneak alcohol in from coming. I figure why even bother you know? It'll all be outside so maybe a bonfire behind the clearing would be fun. My uncle is best friends with the deputy on duty that night so I wouldn't be surprised if he stops by himself for a beer. There are gonna be people I don't even know. Erin and my uncle are inviting people to. Uncle Pat's awesome and the police are the least of my worries. I'm gonna be super pissed off though if people are getting shitfaced and breaking stuff. Of course there's the indoor pool so I guess we can use that... or the outdoor one. Plus the gameroom. I mean the basement is pretty much essential but I'm not gonna have people fucking in my parents bedroom, so basically the main house is off limits except for us after the bulk of the party people leave. Tell your friends to come Shawn, I'm sure Erin will have her precious Austin over to stay. As for me Craig Tanner, yes the masculine gay lacrosse player from Peyton Community College, is coming with some of his buds to see muah. It should be a very interesting night indeed. Anyway I think it would be fun to set up together what do you guys think?"

Noticing the cat, affectionately known as Norma Jean, sulk into the kitchen Taylor picked her up and cuddled her as he waited to hear what the siblings would say next. The dog looked with a jealous growl as Norma Jean purred contently in Taylor's arms.

---
"Not into the drinking scene is an understatement," Maggie muttered almost inaudibly.

It seemed like Taylor pretty much had all possible scenarios covered. The party wasn't likely to get busted by cops, it seemed like the parental units capable of turning the night into a complete disaster had already been notified beforehand and were alright with it, in truth, everything seemed to be relatively in order. Maggie couldn't help but remain skeptical about the entire ordeal though. The simple fact remained that it really just wasn't her scene. Shawn, however, seemed quite interested, and was listening intently to what the Brennan boy had to say.

Taylor's words concerning the events that would inevitably occur at the party made Maggie shake her head lightly. She knew judging people wasn't right, but the whole ordeal just seemed a bit disgusting... or maybe she was just being ridiculously uptight about it for no given reason whatsoever. It wouldn't be the first time. Maggie's overly religious nature often deprived her of having fun like a regular teenager. After all, not many teenagers stop to think that most of the acts they engage in are considered living in sin and debauchery.

Pushing the thoughts out of her mind, her attention turned back to Taylor, and she nodded and attempted a vain smile of sorts, "It should be fun, I guess," she mused. She really needed to loosen up, and although she was really trying to get into this whole party-scene, it just wasn't working out for her. No point in ruining the night for the boys, though.

Return to “The Distant Past”