Pass or Fail (Content Warning)

Afterschool tutoring session

The library is not as large as it perhaps could be, and is certainly not one of the school's more comfortable rooms. Located on the second floor, the library is lit by fluorescent lights, and is almost always somewhat messy and disorganized. The staff here is insufficient to keep up with the use the room receives, and thus student volunteers are relied upon fairly heavily. Most of the academic books are fairly new, but the selection of novels is rather sparse.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

"Right triangles to be percise."

Ugh. He knew the words "right triangle" ought to be familiar, but alas, they were just words. And then the words "to be precise" didn't exactly help him feel less talked down to. A number was penciled into the drawing. It didn't seem to open up many doors, but maybe staring at it for a moment would help.

Now something about area. He multiplied three by three and wrote a nine in the middle of the triangle she pointed at.

He looked up at her to search for a nod or a head-shake. Rosemary was looking at the clock. Apparently, she was having just as much fun as he was. His gaze chased after hers, seeing that time was actually going relatively quickly, he realized math time would be over soon. Maybe she'd just finish the problem for him, and then he would repeat her words back to her.

One-on-one tutoring had always been more effective for him. Tutors almost always noticed when you fell asleep. At least the threat of having to repeat senior year kept him motivated. He would NOT end up like his cousin.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler umop-ap!sdn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MrMissMrs Random†

Post by MrMissMrs Random† »

((Since I'm not the best in mathematics, I'm going to rush this a bit. Forgive me if I screw up.))

Rosemary looked back at Joey before taking a glance at the paper. If only it was that easy...

The girl picked up a pencil once more a wrote down how to find the area for a right triangle. "This problem doesn't give us how long the other side is, or whether the other sides are 60/30 or 45/45, so that can be confusing."

After showing Joey how to complete the problem Rosemary rummaged for a minute in her messenger bag and came out with a piece of paper. "Here are some of the formulas you come across in Geometry. You don't have to memorize it but make sure you go over it continually and before any tests, alright?"

Rosemary hoped that what she was saying wasn't going in the boy's ear and out the other. If she was getting paid she wanted to be paid for actually helping. "Let's take a break and move on to another subject: your choice."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler MrMissMrs Random. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Joey tucked the cheat sheet into the front pocket of his back pack. It would be seperated from the rest of the clutter, and maybe he'd even look it over when he got home. It was unlikely, but he would know where it was if he ever did need it. Maybe it'd make the homework easier, and then he'd be able to bring his grade up that much at least. Passing a class wasn't really that much work, but senioritis had more or less drained him of all willpower.

"Let's take a break and move on to another subject: your choice."

His physics book was next on the pile. Science and math. He'd had more than enough math for the time being, so he casually switched it with "Jekyll and Hyde". He looked up at Rosemary, ready to explain that he wasn't a complete moron.

"I got that they are the same person. Haven't read a page of the book, but I heard enough about it. I was just gonna read the wikipedia page later, but if you have anything to add or ideas on a bullshit essay I'll probably have to write, I'm all ears."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler umop-ap!sdn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MrMissMrs Random†

Rosemary couldn't help but have a small smile cross her face on how bluntly Joey put his situation. "Well, you have that down. The plot is about a well-to-do doctor  Henry Jekyll who starts experimenting, finding a way to change his appearance and personality drastically as a way to let out his inner, animalistic self. That is what changes him from a nice, gracious man into the brutish and at times murderous, Edward Hyde."

The girl picked up the book, pointing at it. "You can argue that what happened to Jekyll is either the duality of human nature: meaning that we have one self we put as a mask to the world and a baser, instinctual hidden self. Or, there is no duality at all. That the case of Jekyll and Hyde was in all accounts a show of one man's struggle to contain the demon within himself, and eventually the demon winning out."

The girl sighed. "You could also talk about how Hyde takes pleasure in his killing and torturing of others, some examples would be at the beginning where Hyde tramples a little girl and then pays off her family for her injuries. Another is when he kills a member of the British Parliament. I would also suggest reading quotes from the 'letter' parts of the story so you sound like you know what your talking about; or cliffnote them."

The girl sighed, she didn't know she could talk this long to someone. But then again, it was about a book...

"And personally, even if you don't particurally like reading I think it's a decent enough story. And don't tell me that you could just rent the movie because the movie versions mess everything up."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler MrMissMrs Random. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Joey nodded and tried to look thoughtful. Jekyll good, Hyde bad. Something about animals, something about human nature. Something, something, something, philosophy.

Rosemary mentioned sparknotes. Aight, he had a chill tutor. Even if she was a booky, she at least knew he didn't give a shit. He had actually but the movie on reserve, but she'd totally just called him out. He nearly flinched in suprise, this girl knew how kids like Joey worked. She listed off things to pay attention to, and he found himself even more confsed.

"Letter parts?"
MrMissMrs Random†

Rosemary frowned, letting out a small sigh. Have to remember he hasn't read any of this book.

The girl opened the book and started to flip through the pages until she came across on page. She lifted it up and held it down on the part of the table Joey was sitting in front of.

"There are two significant 'letters' that are in the book. One is one written by Dr. Hastie Lanyon, who after finding out about Jekyll's experiments dies from the shock of it. The other one is a letter written by Jekyll himself that was found with Hyde's dead body. Both of them are very important to the plot because they reveal the truth."
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

(I could have sworn I replied to this. Weird...)

Joey nodded slowly, trying to process everything. He wouldn't remember what she'd just said, but that was what sparknotes was for. He'd just study the shit out of that later. Fuck it, he might even read the book. Sure, it would suck, but sometimes it was just as much work to cheat.

"Aight. I think i got it all." He didn't, but this he could at least take care of himself.

He shut the book and moved it on top of the algebra one. He turned over his physics book and slid it between them. Now all he had to get down were the changes in velocity equations.
MrMissMrs Random†

((...Oh no. This is the reason why I took Chemistry instead of Physics. Darn it, it's come back to haunt me!))

Rosemary took out another 'cheat' sheet and slid it over to Joey. "I need a bit of a refresher so study that while I'm looking through the book. I mean 'study', don't just stare at the walls, okay?"

The girl began to look through what she would have to teach the boy. The main goal was make sure he passed, not that he could become an expert on each subject.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Joey looked down at the cheat sheet. His teacher had passed out one very similar to it, but now that he realized it's importance, maybe he'd keep track of it. That way he could scribble it down on his arm before any kind of test. He glanced up at the clock to see their time was pretty much up.

Having been though the system before, he sympathized. "I know we still got some time, but I think we covered everything. If you just want me to sign off on your hours..." He reached back for his bag where the envelope waited.
MrMissMrs Random†

Rosemary blinked, looking at the clock to verify that yes, the scheduled hours were almost done."Oh, sure. Mind if I write down the name of this Physics book? I could probably find a duplicate at the library and It hink it could help you."

Her mom did say that the library was well stocked, and this book seemed to not be one of the new editions. So it was possible...
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Joey stared for a moment. He wasn't really sure what she meant. He didn't need a duplicate, he had this one... Maybe she was taking one so she could take notes? Maybe she was taking notes on what parts he should look over? He really wasn't so sure. But he did know that he did NOT mind her simply writing down the name.

"Uh, yeah."

He nodded, his face expressed a confused consent. He turned it back and then read it aloud, just in case.

"Physics: Principles with Applications. It's by Douglas C... Gee-an-coh-lee."
MrMissMrs Random†

"Giancoli?" Rosemary said, before biting her lip to prevent a sarcastic remark from coming out. Not allowed to sass people who pay you. Not allowed to sass...

The girl quickly jotted down the name and author on a piece of paper before putting her notebook and her other tools back into her bag. "So review what we went over, study the sheets I gave you, and if you aren't busy try to start reading the book or look up cliffnotes or sparknotes online and pay attention, okay?"
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Joey shrugged. Whatever she said sounded right. And apparently she was dorky enough to know the names of textbook authors off the top of her head. Joey shook his head slightly as he looked down to his bag.

Opening the front pocket, he confirmed that Rosemary's cheat sheets still existed. He pushed them back with his fingertips and removed the envelope of cash. He turned back to his tutor, "Uh, thanks. I'll see you around." He gave a half hearted nod and turned to go on his way.

(Joey Polpetta continued elsewhere)
MrMissMrs Random†

As the doors closed Rosemary sighed, picking up the envelope tossed on the table and flicked it open, checking to see all her pay was there. Once she decided that it was all there the girl slung her bag onto her should, putting the envelope in a safe place and looking around to make sure nobody was watching her. She didn't want to get mugged for her money or anything.

Hope he paid enough attention so he passes.
She thought to herself before walking out of the library as well.

(Rosemary Michaels continued to Touch, Pause, Disengage )

Return to “Library”