The King of Limbs

Open

Centennial Park is nicely balanced between dedicated fitness space and convivial social usage. Athletes love the two baseball diamonds, large green perfect for a weekend game of football or soccer, and well-tended jogging trail that circles the park. People looking for relaxation gravitate to the picnic pavilions and barbeque grills sprinkled throughout, the horseshoe pits, lawn bowling courts, large play structure for children, and a water feature that is active during the summer to cool off visitors.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"It's not terribly hard. Begin second string, 8th fret, pull off 6th, then second string, seventh fret, slide ninth, slide seventh, then second string, sixth fret, hammer 8th pull off 6th," he said calmly, looking down at his own guitar as his fingers brushed and coaxed the strings. He started on for a little bit just playing the music.

"Got a black magic woman. Got a black magic woman," he sang smoothly in his rich, deep voice.

I've got a black magic woman," he continued, focusing intently on his finger work, plucking and sliding down the guitar.  "She's got me so blind I can't see."  

Paris looked up for the first time since the start of his music and smiled a half smile at Sophie. His lips pulled up on one side and easy going with an intensity and sharpness caught in his eyes "Cause she's a black magic woman! She's trying to make a devil out of me."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie listened carefully as Paris explained how to play the song. She moved her hand up the neck of the guitar in order to see if she could follow his directions. She continued to make the movements until she figured she had it.

"Okay, let's go," she said.

Sophie strummed the piece he gave her as he began to sing. She couldn't believe how awesome this was. She never performed a duet so spontaneously, and Paris was a pretty good match. She bet some people would put money in the case based on how cute they looked together.

Oh man, this is just like Once. Hey, maybe I should suggest "Falling Slowly" next. I bet we'd look awesome performing that.

Sophie continued playing, hoping that the people around enjoyed the performance. She also hoped that she wouldn't mess up, but that was something she could hide behind a smile.
Riki

Post by Riki »

O dear, they really need a lot of time.

Joachim grew slightly unpatient. Of course, something like a duet needs some preparation, but still, he really looks forward to hearing it.

The way Paris rattles through the needed movements impressed Joachim. It seemed professional and caused Joachim's face to make him look visibly in awe. Still waiting for the both guitar players to start, Joachim took a brief look at their surroundings, where he noticed some other people around his age. At one bench, a boy with some handheld. Maybe he was just using it as an excuse for listening to the duo. A few feet next to him, leaning on a tree was another boy, obviously listening. After he shooing a fly away from him, he again looked at the guitar players. Joachim met his eyes with a stern gaze, but didn't held on it. The boy might feel uncomfortable.

Why don't they come over here?

This thought surprised the slim boy. Usually, he would prefer to be alone, trying to avoid any unnecessary contact. Was it the music? Is it encouraging Joachim to be more sociable? Is it Sophie's and Paris' laid-back aura?

Whatever, I'm just in a good mood.

Music caught his attention. The duet began.

It was a different kind of song. Something slightly more upbeat. Subconsciously, he tapped with his song. A smile crept on his face. Joachim enjoyed the song. Enjoyed the duet.

Such a beautyful afternoon. Good that I am here.
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎵 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎵 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
||Selection|Clicks|Lonely|
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
O G042 Aileen Aurora Abdallah - Pair of MMA Gloves, Golf Club & Table Leg -
B059 David Zimmer - Sabre -
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
K-Robe

Post by K-Robe »

Bradley smiled as he held the back of his head and listened to the sounds of a rather well-done version of a brilliant, brilliant Santana classic. He closed his eyes and he found himself absentmindedly tapping his foot in tune with the music. He then ended up mouthing the words to the rest of the song along with the singers.

Bradley ended up chuckling to himself during the song. The music was perfect for musing about what one should do in life, which is something Bradley had been doing an awful lot of recently. It was relaxing and had a killer rythm; bliss.

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this. I should do this more often. God, I really do need to get out more.

Bradley just chuckled some more.

And that's how he spent the rest of his blithe afternoon, enjoying himself as much as he possibly could within the circumstances.

(Bradley Edwards continued elsewhere...)
Virtua-SOTF - F05: Renee Murphy - The Broken Bird - "Until we find out, you're going to need me."
Threads: Holding Out For A Hero > Inexplicable > Rebel Without a Clue > While Rome Burns > Far From Home > Breaking Point > Swan Song > Still Red > Last of the Alderbrooks
Virtua-SOTF - M16: Patrick Reynolds - The Ingenuine - "Um, I think we're lost."
Threads: The Funniest Joke in the World > I Can Hear the Bells > From Where You're Kneeling
SOTF V5 - Bradley Edwards - The Spare - "Call me a cynic..."
Pregame Threads: Debates and Discourse
Meanwhile Threads: Above it All
SOTF V6 - Audrey Reyes - The Dedicated - "Get the camera!"
Pregame Threads: There's No Time Here in Space
Threads: Hideaway
Skraal

Post by Skraal »

((I'm so sorry for the late post, guys.))

Douglas' attention snapped toward the blonde boy as he began to play. He listened intently as the boys deep voice travelled through the air, singing the lyrics to a song about a man obsessed with a woman. He was soon joined in his playing by the girl, who strummed along without singing. The two other students seemed to be inexplicably enraptured by the song. One boy even closed his eyes, tapping his foot and moving his mouth without speaking, briefly causing Douglas to wonder if he was having a seizure. He looked back at the blond boy, watching his fingers move nimbly across his guitar.

After listening for a while, Douglas began to recognise the song, if only slightly. His father had been a fan of 60s rock music, and as a young child, Douglas would sometimes go through his father music collection to listen to it. He soon tired of this pastime, preferring to listen to his mother's classical albums.

Straightening up from his previous slouching posture, Douglas began to unconsciously tap his fingers on the tree behind him. Feeling the scratching of the tree bark against his back, he was brought out of his daydreaming. He looked at his watch. He had been standing there for a good ten to fifteen minutes, and his parents were likely expecting him back home. As he prepared to leave, his hand went to his pocket.

Should I give them any money? he wondered. Their music is alright, but is it really worth paying for? He looked over at the musicians, his eyes lingering on the blond boy for a few minutes. Grudgingly, he fished in his pocket and pulled out a few dollars. He walked quickly past the players, dropping the money in their case as he passed. He jogged away along the park's main path, the sound of his footsteps mingling with the deep, haunting voice of the blond boy playing guitar in the centre of the park.

((Douglas MacAllister continued elsewhere))
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 5
Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Weapon: Replica Flamethrower
Current Status: Deceased
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Weapon: Bulletproof Vest
Eliza Patton (Adopted from laZardo)
Weapon: M-1 Garand
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 7
Characters:
Oliver Lacroix Current Status: Deceased
William "Bill" Dover Current Status: Deceased
Salvatore "Sal" Bonaventura (Adopted by Ohm) Current Status: Alive
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Paris trailed off the end of the song so see a classmate walk by and drop some money in the guitar case. He gave a spirited strum of his guitar and nodded with a smile. "Pretty good," he mused at Claire.

"Not sure if this will be enough , but it's more than I started out with. Maybe if we keep going I can earn enough so that I wouldn't have to walk back."

He sighed and stretched out his legs as a breeze rolled through.

"I chose the last one. Any suggestions?"
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie strummed the last few notes of the song and let out a small cheer. She was worried that she wouldn't be able to catch up with Paris, but it went pretty well. People continued to put money in the case, so if anything, the public at least thought they were good.

"Yeah, that was really good," she said in response to Paris.

Paris then made a crack about the money in the guitar case funding a trip back home.

"Perhaps. You'll get some of the money in the case. We'll work out percentages later."

Sophie quickly plucked a few strings when Paris suggested she pick the next song.

"Okay. Let's see. Hmmm........"

She began to think of all the songs she knew and could play.

"Alright, uh, I'm just going to through some things out there. How about 'Way Down in the Hole'? Or 'Feel So Close'? Perhaps 'Rolling in the Deep'? Any thoughts?
Riki

Post by Riki »

Watching the boy putting money in the case and walking away, Joachim realized that a notable amount of time has already passed. While the last notes of the song vanished into the air, he briefly looked at the scratched glass of his old cell phone, checking the time. Putting it back into his pants, he resumed listening to the pair of guitar players, who are preparing for a last round of music. He noticed that they both suggested titles.

"I think you'll know best."

With this sentence, he waited patiently for the last song today.
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎵 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎵 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Paris pulled a bit of a face at some of Sophie's suggestions. How exactly was someone supposed to play "Feel So Close," an electronica song on an acoustic guitar? He shifted and picked at the grass a little. He put a finger to his chin as if thinking for a moment. He perked up and pointed at Sophie.

"I think you're a Hotel California kind of girl. I've got a a sense about these sort of things and I'm never wrong. That's your song, young lady."

He grabbed his guitar again and sat up.

"Let's hear it, then," he said smiling warmly at her.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie waited as Paris thought about what song she should play. When he said "Hotel California", Sophie had to think a bit.

Okay, that's by The Eagles. Uh let's see. B minor, F sharp, A, E, G, E minor, F sharp.

Sophie quickly played the chord progression on the guitar.

I can do this!

"Yeah, I know that one," she said to Paris. "Let's do it!"

Sophie quickly tapped her right foot on the ground and began strumming the intro. She then began to sing the first verse.

On a dark desert highway, cold wind in my hair.
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air.
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light.
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim. I had to stop for the night.

There she stood in the doorway. I heard the mission bell.
I was thinking to myself "this could be Heaven or this could be Hell".
Then she lit up a candle, and she showed me the way.
There were voices down the corridor,
thought I heard them say:

"Welcome to the Hotel California.
Such a lovely place.
Such a lovely face.
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year,
you can find it here.

Sophie grinned. This was a macabre song, and it was fun to play.
Riki

Post by Riki »

Tapping his feat to the beat of the song, Joachim enjoyed the last song of this day. Something that surprised him. He always thought of this kinds of activites, just hanging around for example, as a waste of time, but suddenly, he found himself enjoying the presence of the other pupils. Just as the song ended, Joachim realized that he had to be home soon, as his mother wanted to do him some chores.

Slowly standing up, he looked at Sophie, and then at Paris.

"Sorry, but I'll have to go now. See you at school!"

With that he began to set his feet towards the exit.

This certainly was an enjoyable day...

With quick feet, he walked away.

Turn around.

"Opps, I forgot my blanket. Could you please stand up?"

He said to Paris as he hurried to him, but stopped mid-way. Shortly thinking about it, he continued:

"You know, if you need that blanket, you can keep it for now, just bring it to school at monday, okay?"

With that said, he again walked towards the park's exit, amazed by the sentence he just said. Lending something to nearly complete strangers was another thing Joachim never did, but this time, he simply did not care. It was such a beautyful day.

[Joachim Lovelace: Continued in I Hate Free Study]
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Paris clapped at the end of Sophie's singing. It seemed Joachim had to go. That was reasonable. Paris gave him a good natured pat on the back before he stood up to go.

"It was nice hanging out with you. We should do it again some time. If you see me as school come talk to me and maybe we'll do something," he beamed up at Joachim. The other boy wanted his blanket. Paris was in the process of obliging and shifting to get up when he seemed to think better of it and just asked they return it. Paris tugged at the blanket and wrapped it around his neck like a cape.

"For sure. Now I know you'll come find me because I've got your property," he joked.

Paris gently lifted his guitar and placed it back inside his case. He closed it up and shuffled to his feed, still wearing the blanket like a hero's cape.

"I better start heading home too. Don't want my mom to worry about it and it'll be dark in a little. Too bad we didn't earn enough for me to take the bus home. There's a long walk in my future," he said with a sigh, though still managed a small smile at Sophie.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie played the last few chords of the outro. She then let out a small cheer and took a bow to anyone in the surrounding area.

"Thank you, everyone!" she said. "You make it all worth it."

The big tipper was preparing to leave. The boy left without taking the blanket, saying that Paris could just bring it back later. Then Paris tied the blanket around his neck like a cape. Sophie giggled.

"That's a good look, Paris. I bet someone like you could start a trend."

It sounded like Paris was leaving as well. He sounded forlorn, saying he had to walk the whole way home.

"Well hang on, let me check my tips," Sophie said.

Sophie bent over the case and began to count the money. That boy's $10 was definitely more than she had gotten before. She continued to scan through before finding a few scattered dollars.

"Here," she said, pulling three dollar bills out and handing them to Paris. "I think that should cover bus fare."

Sophie put the rest of her money in her wallet and packed her guitar in the case.

"I should be getting home soon as well. I gotta help with dinner. This was fun. We should play again sometime."

Sophie waved to Paris before swinging her guitar over her shoulder. She began head out of the park, humming a merry tune to herself.

((Sophie McDowell continued in See with Eyes Unclouded by Hate))
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Paris posed for a moment with both hands firmly on his hips and looked upward at the sky for a moment like a super hero. He relaxed.

"I think so. I'm a trend setter, you see. It's only natural."

Paris accepted the money with flourish and caught Sophie's hand in his own.

"Thank you so much," he intoned gratefully. "I promise to pay you back some time. Just remind me when you see me around, alright? You can count on me."

Slowly his fingers slipped past her and they separated.

"I'm glad you had fun. It's best you get home before dark anyhow. I'll see you around," he called after her.

Paris slung his guitar over his shoulder, the make-shift cape still attached to him and the extra money in his pocket.

It was fortuitous that he'd found them in the park. He was starting to think he was going to have to walk home. It was also somewhat fun. Sophie's playing was quite good for someone who claimed to learn off of "sheet music" as opposed to guitar tabs as everyone else learned to play.

As he walked to the bus stop a red rubber ball rolled against his foot. A small girl was running towards it. Paris knelt down and picked up the ball, staying on one knee when she approached.

"This could have gone in the street. Be more careful when you play, my dear. Understand?" he said smiling and holding out to her.

She looked at him for a moment and nodded, slowly taking the ball back.

"Run along," he beamed.

((Paris Ardennes continued in Free Sample with Purchase))

Return to “Centennial Park”