Literally Friends

Private - 10 y/o Joachim and Timothy

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
Riki

Literally Friends

Post by Riki »

"Joachim, I am back here in an hour or two, so stay here and be a good boy."
"Yeah... Sure Mom."

Joachim often hears these words. Every first Saturday in a month.
His mother visits the barber shop and the beautician on this day and sometimes she takes Joachim with her so she can drop him at the public library.

"And maybe you find another good boy you can play with!"

He sighed. This sentence is also not new for him.
After repeating these words over and over for the past months, Joachim became tired of it.

"...whatever"

With these words he turned around to enter the library.

Upon entering the halls, filled with books and people, Joachim's mood raised immediately.
He loved books. And the thought of exploring another fantastic world, hidden between thin papers, always makes him feel better.
His parents didn't grasp Joachim's fascination. They always hoped Joachim would be one of these children who are playing outside the entire day. And more importantly, with other children. It's not that they say that directly to Joachim, but the young boy is not stupid. He knows it, he feels it. His parents are disappointed with him.

In the end, Joachim never bothered with that too much. As long as they are letting him enjoying the vast worlds that books offer, he'll be fine.

Joachim eyes crossed the room, searching for something interesting.
Science Fiction might be nice today

Swiftly and almost silent he walked across the library. After reaching the section, he began his usual behaviour when choosing a new book.

Reading every title. Touching the cover, as if it were a precious treasure. Then, moving on to the next and repeating the process.
Doing this, Joachim stops to notice the things around him. In these long minutes, Joachim was alone with the books. And he judges each book. And either deems it worthy, or not.
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎡 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎡 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
||Selection|Clicks|Lonely|
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
O G042 Aileen Aurora Abdallah - Pair of MMA Gloves, Golf Club & Table Leg -
B059 David Zimmer - Sabre -
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Skraal

Post by Skraal »

Timothy loved his family's weekly visits to the library. Ever since he learned how to read, his family had been taking him there and returning home with a huge bag full of checked out books. Unfortunately, his parents were busy today, leaving only his older brother, Brandon to take him.

Timothy grasped his Brandon's hand tightly as they walked down the sidewalk. They walked without speaking, the silence only broken by the occasional roar emanating from a passing car. He felt around in his pocket for his library card, breathing a sigh of relief once he found it.

After what seemed like hours of walking, they finally arrived at the library. Brandon checked his watch and looked down at Timothy.

"We'll meet at the checkout desk in an hour, okay?"

"Alright," Timothy mumbled, barely listening. He walked away from his brother, clutching a small book bag as he headed towards the stairs to the second floor. He had been going to the adult fiction section for about a year now. He loved the grown-up feeling that he received from reading those books.

After walking past numerous rows of bookshelves, he finally reached the science fiction section. He was about to start looking through the books when something unusual caught his eye. It was another boy about his age, looking through a book in the section.

I thought that I was the only kid that comes here...

Curious, he walked up to the other boy and tapped him on the shoulder.

"What're you reading?"
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 5
Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Weapon: Replica Flamethrower
Current Status: Deceased
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Weapon: Bulletproof Vest
Eliza Patton (Adopted from laZardo)
Weapon: M-1 Garand
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 7
Characters:
Oliver Lacroix Current Status: Deceased
William "Bill" Dover Current Status: Deceased
Salvatore "Sal" Bonaventura (Adopted by Ohm) Current Status: Alive
Riki

Post by Riki »

"What're you reading?"

"Aah!"
A voice startled Joachim.
Shocked he took a step back and turned around to see who disturbed him, letting the book he was currently holding falling. The sound it made as it hit the ground caught Joachim attention for a split second, but then he looked into the eyes of the boy-
Wait... a kid?

Joachim saw many people here in the library. But here on the second floor, he usually encounters adults. There were always surprised to hear that he was interested in mature literature. He often heard how these people complimented him for being so grown-up. It didn't surprise him anymore. But this time, he was surprised. A boy, his age, stood before him.

"Uhh... This here is-", said Joachim in a quiet voice while picking up the book.
"This is H.G. Wells, and the book's name is Men like Gods."

Before the other kid could respond, Joachim added:
"But I am not reading it. I am thinking about reading it, though. My uncle said I should take a look at some novels by Wells. But I am not sure what to read yet..."

Joachim put a smile on his face. He wanted to look friendly.
"But, uhm, by the way. I think I should say my name. I am Joachim."
With that, he offered the other boy his hand, just as he was taught to do at home.
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎡 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎡 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Skraal

Post by Skraal »

Timothy stepped back, startled by the other boy's outburst. What did I say? he thought nervously. He cringed involuntarily as he saw the book the boy was holding hit the floor. An uncomfortable silence persisted before the other boy picked up his book. Timothy hoped that no permanent damage had been done.

His worrying was interrupted when the other boy picked up his book again. Timothy glanced at it, relieved that he could see no folds or tears in the pages.

"This is H.G. Wells, and the book's name is Men like Gods."

Timothy tried to remember if he had read that one. He had read a few books by H.G. Wells, but he had never heard of that one. He opened his mouth to ask about it, but before he could, the other boy spoke. He admitted to Timothy that he hadn't read the book, but his uncle had recommended H.G. Wells' books to him. The boy smiled and offered Timothy his hand to shake.

"But, uhm, by the way, I think I should say my name. I am Joachim."

Joachim? That's a funny name, Timothy thought. I guess that I had better introduce myself too. He took Joachim's hand and clasped it firmly, like his parents and shown him how to do. He spoke confidently, excited to meet someone with the same interests as him.

"Hi Joachim! My name's Timothy. It's nice to meet you," he said, pumping his hand up and down. "I haven't read Men Like Gods, but I really like some of H.G. Wells' other books. The Time Machine and War of the Worlds are both really cool." He paused to take a breath. "Do you have any favourite books?"
Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Characters:
Riki

Post by Riki »

"Hi Joachim! My name's Timothy. It's nice to meet you."

Timothy, that's a funny name.

"I haven't read Men Like Gods, but I really like some of H.G. Wells' other books. The Time Machine and War of the Worlds are both really cool."

Joachim liked Timothy's words. It seemed like he also loves books.

"Do you have any favourite books?"

This caused Joachim to tilt his head in confusion.
Favorite Books? What are my favorite books? I never thought about that.

"Hmm... Actually, I don't think I have a favorite book. There are just too many."

Altough his voice is now louder, Joachim still feels insecure.

I hope this answer is good enough.

It is not his talent to make contact with other people, and he usually tried to avoid it. Or end it quickly, albeit politely.
But this time he was genuinely interested in the other person. Joachim wanted to know more about Timothy.

"So, what's about you?"
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Skraal

Post by Skraal »

Timothy smiled reassuringly. "That's okay," he said, "That was silly question anyway. I don't think that I'd be able to choose a favourite book either." He was glad to see Joachim smile at him. He was glad to meet someone that he could speak comfortably with. Most of the kids at school didn't share his interests, so conversation with them was usually disappointing. He was glad to have something in common with someone else his age.

Timothy let go of Joachim's hand and moved backward a little bit to give himself space. Unable to hide his excitement, he spoke quickly and confidently.

"There are a few books that I really like though." He began to look through the shelves. After a few seconds of searching, he finally found what he was looking for. He pulled a book off of the shelf and handed it to Joachim.

"This one's called Ender's Game and it's by Orson Scott Card. I really like his books. This one's my favourite though. It's about a school in space that trains kids to fight aliens. I really like the parts about the zero-gravity training area."

After he finished speaking, he became conscious of how long he had been rambling while Joachim was standing and listening. He paused, waiting for Joachim to speak and hoping that he wasn't annoyed with him.
Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Characters:
Riki

Post by Riki »

Joachim was happy to see that Timothy thought the same. Not only that, but Joachim was also happy just because Timothy talked to him. It was something he enjoyed greatly. He never was good with other kids. Their hobbies were always boring him. But know he has found another person that is sharing his great passion for books.

Suddenly, Timothy let go of Joachim's hand.

He thought:
I didn't notice that we were still shaking hand. while looking at the parting hands.

When he was raising his head again, he saw Timothy looking through the various shelves, seemingly searching something.

"There are a few books that I really like though."
Then he picked a book, went back to Joachim and handed it him.
"This one's called Ender's Game and it's by Orson Scott Card. I really like his books. This one's my favourite though. It's about a school in space that trains kids to fight aliens. I really like the parts about the zero-gravity training area."

Joachim took the book and looked briefly at the cover.

He's very enthusiastic... Oh, I hope I'm not to quiet.

A few seconds passed before Joachim realised that Timothy finished speaking.

"Well, if you say it's good, I'll have a look."

An unsecure smile formed itself on Joachim's lips. He wasn't sure if he said the right thing.
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Skraal

Post by Skraal »

"Well, if you say it's good, I'll have a look."

As Joachim took the book from his hands, Timothy breathed a sigh of relief. He was glad that Joachim had accepted his recommendation. Very few kids that he talked to at school would have done that. He scratched his head and briefly glanced over at the clock. He looked back at Joachim still smiling.

"Hey, do you want to come over to my house another day? I'm sure my mom would be okay with it." Timothy wasn't actually sure if she would be completely fine with it, but he was confident that he could talk her into it. "Is your mom coming to pick you up? Maybe we could ask her then."
Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Characters:
Riki

Post by Riki »

"Hey, do you want to come over to my house another day? I'm sure my mom would be okay with it."

Wait... what?

Timothy's request surprised Joachim. It was a sentence he never heard. Despite that, happieness rose in Joachim. This sentence, something his parents have awaited for years, something he himself thinks of unimportant, is now said.

"Is your mom coming to pick you up? Maybe we could ask her then."

"Yeah, she'll be coming soon to pick me up." And she will makes jumps of joy

Still slightly confused, Joachim attempt to ask Timothy for his reasons. But he decides against it.

"Well, I am sure she will say yes. After all, she always wants me to make friends and-"

A few seconds passed.

"I understand now why she wants it."

A bright smile crossed his face.
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]

Return to β€œMemories (The Past)”