The Sharp Shock of the Knife

Content Warning: Self Harm

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
Skraal

The Sharp Shock of the Knife

Post by Skraal »

"David, we need to talk."

David swivelled his chair around to see his father standing in the doorframe. He swallowed nervously. He knew that tone of voice. The following conversation was definitely not going to be comfortable.

"Yes Dad?"

"Your mom and I just received your report card."

Uh Oh...

"We're very disappointed in you. We know that you can do better. What happened?"

David looked down, beginning to fidget with his hands. "I don't know," he mumbled. "I guess that I just forgot to do a few assignments. I'm sorry."

His father sighed. "I don't know what's got into you lately. I saw your grades last year, and I know that this far from what you're capable of."

"Sorry." David mumbled again.

His father shook his head. "I haven't seen you studying at this all year. You seem to be spending all your time on that computer. How long have you been on there today?"

Five hours... No, I can't tell him that.
"I... I don't remember."

"You've probably had enough for today, anyway. Go take a break."

David stood up and shuffled past his father. As he exited the room, he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Please work harder next year. You have so much potential, and it makes Mom and I so sad to see you waste it."

"Okay, I will," he said quickly.

He trudged up the stairs and turned into the hall bathroom. Locking the door, he took a deep breath and sat down on the closed toilet seat. He sat for a few minute, staring at the pale white tiles of the bathroom floor.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry...

He got up and walked over to the sink. David bent down and opened the door to the cupboard underneath. He rummaged around for a bit and pulled out the small kitchen knife that he had hidden there earlier.

Why am I doing this?

He sighed, unable to answer. David pulled back his left sleeve, exposing the multitude of scars and cuts criss-crossing his arm. His pulse quickening, he moved the knife towards a currently unblemished patch of skin. He held it there for a moment, hesitating.

I'm so stupid...

He pressed down upon his skin with the knife and jerked it downwards. There was a sharp sting, then... relief. As blood began to slowly well up around the shallow cut, a calm started to spread through David's body. Bracing his back against the wall, he sank to the floor, defeated.

Damn it...
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 5
Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Weapon: Replica Flamethrower
Current Status: Deceased
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Weapon: Bulletproof Vest
Eliza Patton (Adopted from laZardo)
Weapon: M-1 Garand