Appeal to Reason

This huge area takes up most of the island, with the only real "settled" places on it being the parts of the abandoned and run down military base. There are paths through the jungle, but there's also an extremely thick underbrush and abundance of plant life that would impede and agitate the contestants; not to mention the animal life dwelling within that would find the contestants to be a nice treat. The terrain itself is trecherous with several random drops, cliffs, and the occasional booby trap that the soldiers manning the base "forgot" to disarm; one could be easily lost for days in the vast confines of the jungle if the heat and other conditions didn't drive them insane. Exercise caution, children, one wrong step here would most definitely be your last.
Ares

Appeal to Reason

Post by Ares »

(Steve and Gabe continued from Hold Fast Hope))

It had been a journey from the quarry through the jungle. Multiple times Steve had to have Gabe slow down from the incredible pace Gabe was traveling at. It wasn't that Steve's injuries were slowing him down, on the contrary the pain in his ribs had reduced itself to a mere stinging, and he was able to suck in the deep breaths again. Gabe was just moving like a madman, and Steve had seen Gabe like this once on the island before.

"Dude we need to stop, I want to check the map and take fill the water bottles from that stream nearby." Steve said as he sat down on a stump.

Sighing heavily Gabe stopped and turned to Steve.

"Look, if we don't keep moving we won't catch..." Gabe's voice had trailed off. He'd been leading Steve to believe they were looking for the hospital, not Lenny Priestly.

"Catch....catch what Gabe? A fucking fish? I knew it man, you're trying to find that Lenny kid that killed Viki. Don't get me wrong man, I want him dead as much as you. Viki was a great friend and I know she cared so much for you but look what happened with Kara bro. You can't just keep thinking you need to be the hero."

"That's easy for you to say isn't it Steve?" Gabe snapped back in response to Steve.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Oh gee I don't know Steve. You say I don't need to be a hero, is that because you have it covered? You killed two people out here and from what I heard it was because you saved a bunch of people from a person, and your killing of Serenity was a heroic act because she was dying and wanted some dignity. So Mr. Hero any other advice you want to give me, or can I just handle my business?"

It took Steve a minute before he responded. He had not really given any thought to the fact that his mercy kill of Serenity was kind of a heroic act, and that killing Shawn was in protecting more people than himself.

"Fine Gabe, you know what you're right. I have done some hero stuff, but look where it's got me. I've been shot at multiple times and I have a bullet lodged in me. On top of that there are people still out there who are probably going to try to kill me because unlike that last announcement, I was actually announced as having killed people. No one besides you knows I didn't kill Serenity because I wanted to, and only like three other people know I killed Shawn in self-defense. I don't want to have you on the announcements too. Then how the hell will anyone trust us? Two people who will be known as killers. You haven't killed anyone, so at least we'll have that." Steve said, trying his best to spin some light on that fact.

Gabe shifted nervously on the spot at Steve's remark about not killing anyone.

"Wait...Gabe, I am right when I said you didn't kill anyone right?" Steve inquired, a touch of nervousness in his voice, because he thought he knew what was coming.

"Well, I guess I should tell you what happened," Gabe said as he too sat down on a nearby log, "When you got shot by Evan, I immediately chased him. I don't know why, but I chased him down and we fought up at the top of the quarry, and I don't know what exactly happened but while we were fighting Evan ended up hanging over the edge of the bowl...and I reached out to him man, I did. He grabbed my hand, but he couldn't hold on and he fell. He fell the entire way down Steve. He died in the quarry and I fucking caused it. Then on top of that, Viki gets killed by the asshole Lenny, and neither of them deserved it. Evan was a really good guy Steve, he was. All he wanted was our respect...and Viki, she was just such an awesome person before this game. They didn't deserve it, and now we're both fucked since people will know we both killed someone." Gabe finished, tears rolling down his face.

Steve got up and walked over to his friend, placing his hand on Gabe's shoulder.

"I'm truly sorry man. I didn't know you chased Evan, and I'm really sorry that it ended the way it did. You're right though, neither one deserved to die, and you're right that since Danya will more than likely tell everyone you killed Evan in the morning, we are probably fucked. This best bet now might be to get to the hospital, get some supplies if we still can and find Dorian Sanders."

Gabe looked up at Steve.

"Dorian Sanders?"

"Yeah man. He was with Viki and I in the field of flowers. He said something about a radio tower and the northern coast of the island and that after I found you, to head north and find him. I think he is our best bet on this island right now."

"All right, we'll do that," Gabe paused, "Steve, I'm sorry for trying to go on another goose chase."

"It's okay man. I understand why, and believe me, if we see that Lenny Priestly fuck or his sister, they're dead. Now lets hit this brook on the map and fill up our canteens, it is still a long way to the hospital, and that point Dorian said to meet at is at the polar opposite end of the island."

Picking up their bags, the boys continued their treck.

((continued in Illusions))
Stuff. Things. Stuff and things.

Return to “The Jungle”