Time and Time Again

B119 - Start

You can see the ocean from here. The cliffs aren't terribly high, but it might be a mighty painful fall down them. They wouldn't make a very good hiding place, seeing how they're out in the open, but it'd definitely make a good vantage point, especially if you were lying in wait for someone to pass along the shoreline below.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

"What if we try to take out the other kids who are playing? If it gives everyone else a better chance, then it's probably worth it..."

Rick didn't have time to think about that thought though. Dawson was the current situation, and Rick watched as the boy called out his position. Trying to peer through the darkness, Rick saw a shape stand up and wave, his body silhouetted against the night sky. Then the figure was back down, engulfed in the darkness once again.

Should Rick and Jim let Dawson come down? Everything was a risk in this game. Though Dawson's name hasn't been mentioned yet as a killer, and if the boy really did want Rick and Jim dead, there was nothing stopping him from coming down anyways. Rick looked down at the Desert Eagle which was now in his right hand, and wondered if he would have to pull the trigger again.

Looking at Jim, Rick said, "Paranoia will kill us quicker than the students. I think we need to let him come down. If anything happens...well....we already killed once."

Rick turned his attention back towards where Dawson was and shouted, "Yeah! You can come down, but I'm gonna warn you, I'm kinda jumpy right now, so anything suspicious and I might have to end up burying you too."

Rick wasn't sure why he said that. He wasn't a mean person, but he felt better when he felt like he could be in control of the situation. Anything to fool his mind that he wasn't in danger, that he was safe.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Crash†

Post by Crash† »

Nodding in acknowledgement to Rick's assessment of the situation, Jim tilted his head upwards in an attempt to get a closer look at Dawson. The attempt was in vain, since in the dark he was nearly impossible to make out. Even the moonlight hadn't illuminated the jagged formation of the cliffs well enough to give Jim a good vantage point, and deciding that it was also in their best interests to peacefully approach him, Jim took a few steps forward.

Rick then proceeded to make a very awkward outburst that almost sounded like an empty threat, and Jim felt it necessary to cover his tracks.

"Look, he's just edgy because we just got attacked. Trust me, we aren't gonna hurt you. Come on down!" A nagging voice in the back of his head was telling him to finish that Price is Right quote, but deciding against it he waited for Dawson's next move.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Crash. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Namira

Post by Namira »

You're quite the smooth talker Rick. Totally. You could be a politician with tact like that.

Dacey refrained from vocalising her initial sarcastic response to Rick's reply - and her secondary one too at that. Sure it might have been an attempted warning (well, Dacey hoped so) but it came across as a barely concealed threat. Still, they hadn't blown off her head yet, which she took to be a good sign, and decided that there was nothing else to do but take the plunge and head on down there.

Struggling a little to keep her balance on the slope but nevertheless making somewhat steady progress, Dacey made her way to where Rick and Jim were, down by the nearest point to the water. Every step she took she felt herself dreading the gunshot - her nerves screaming at her to turn back, her mind divided on whether this was an intelligent survival choice or huge folly.

No way of knowing. Face it, I'm probably going to die within the next few days anyway, it doesn't matter if it happens now or at the eleventh hour.

As Dacey approached she raised one fist into the air, the butter knife glinting slightly as she held it above her head, showing the two guys that she wasn't a threat - or at least, her weapon wasn't.

"Unless you guys are dairy produce," 'Dawson' said as 'he' came closer. "You don't have anything to fear from me."
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Rick watched as Dawson made his way down to him and Jim. Rick moved his finger from outside the trigger guard to inside, lightly resting on the trigger. As the figure made its way closer, Rick could make out Dawson's features through the early dawn. As the knife was held up in the air, and Dawson made his comment, Rick felt relieved. They didn't have another Josh on their hands. They were safe.

Moving his finger back outside the trigger guard Rick said, "Alright, that was one disaster averted."

Rick turned his attention to Jim. Something he had said earlier struck with him.

"You said something about killing the players..."

Rick tried to imagine that thought. He couldn't play the game himself. He wouldn't play the game. He was halfway to becoming a Marine. He was supposed to be overseas, in camo, carrying an assault rifle, hunting terrorists.

On this island though, you only had two options. Play the game or not. Those who didn't usually got picked over, beaten, killed. Those who played got away with it. Scott free. Who would stop them? Who would help the others? The one's who couldn't protect themselves?

Rick and Jim could find other groups. They could be with them, protect them. Though eventually, it would come to an end. They would die.

Could he he actually go out though and become a player himself? Though it would be a different type of player...

Though, if Rick, and Jim, maybe Dawson? If they were to go out...if they were to actually go out and hunt down players...that would mean condemning them all to death. Rick was not living in a fake world. He knew that by actively going out in harms way, you would die. Though he knew the risk of dying was great as a Marine didn't he? It's not like he was going to come home anyways. Might as well die saving others. Putting others to justice.

Though...still...that's a big decision. Something you can't just...make. Rick had went over classes and read up on the psychological disorder some troops get when they come home, or even over seas. Killing people is hard. Actively hunting people wasn't an easy thing. Not something anybody can do, not something that can be accomplished easily. That would take a toll on anyone's mind.

So was Rick willing to accept death to help others? It would mean traveling with just one or two people who were devoted to the cause. It would mean never joining a real group for long. It would mean confronting the most fearsome killers on the island.

"Jim...what if we did that? You know as well as I do that since we're not killing to win, we only have one choice. That choice is to try our best to survive until we die. What if we changed that choice. What if we tried to help others survive in another way. What if we went after those killers. Those bodies we just put to rest, they deserve to know their killers were put to justice. I don't want to sit around and wait to die. I want to do something. I want to help as many people as I can live."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Crash†

Post by Crash† »

"That's kinda what I was getting at..."

It was all Jim could manage. Rick had basically repeated everything Jim had suggested right back to him. Granted, Jim didn't mind. It was a daunting process to think about and it was probably racking Rick's brain. And what about this Dawson fellow? Would he be as keen on the idea of protecting their friends? As far as Jim knew Dawson had to be some kind of newer student, for he'd never seen him around before. Where did that leave him?

"I'm in, Rick. Dawson, we're going to go protect our friends. Come with us if you want," he directed, then snatched up his bag and tossed it over his shoulder. He once again withdrew the Taurus, clutching it tightly in his right hand. Jim and Rick had probably just sealed their own fates, yet somehow that knowledge didn't crush Jim as much as he thought it would. He'd managed to survive six days already and had seen some of the terrible things the island had done. He watched Anna get eviscerated right in front of him after all, and ever since he'd realized that he wasn't making it out of this game alive.

"Let's go," he spoke up after clearing his throat. The dawn was breaking now, and with it Jim sidled back up the cliff-face and into the dense cover of the jungle, scared to death.

(Jim Middleton continued in Kimmy, Kimmy, Candy Eater)
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Crash. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Rick watched as Jim accepted the position they were now in, and set off.

Rick looked at Dawson and just nodded at the boy, wondering if the new student would follow them to their definite death's protecting the students on the island or would stay back, and find another way to die. Rick had his backpack over both of his shoulders, and looked back one last time over the cliff.

"May god help us all..."

Rick wasn't a religious boy. Though it seemed right to ask god for help now. Maybe he would help, maybe he wouldn't. It looked like Rick, Jim, and maybe Dawson would have to be the students' saviors now. When all else fails I guess you can always count on the marine, the band geek, and the new kid.

With that, Rick was off, following closely behind Jim into the jungle. Into the unknown.

((Rick Holeman continued at Hold Me Closer Tiny Dancer))
Namira

Post by Namira »

"Um, yeah, hello to you too," Dacey muttered under her breath as the pair of them walked away, figuring that since she was effectively talking to herself they were unlikely to hear. If you couldn't drop the charade for yourself then who could know the truth? Still, Dacey felt a little apprehensive that Rick might have heard her, but if he had done, at least he hadn't said anything...

Rescue their friends?

I donn't HAVE any friends.

But...

Weren't these people worth fighting for?

Did they deserve to die?

If Rick and Jim and... myself don't try and save them then I don't think anybody is.

That Neil Sinclair... his plan didn't work.

I guess protecting is all anybody can do.

It isn't perfect.

But... it will work for now.

I'll ninja them with my butter knife or something, ha, yeah.

I'm pretty much just going to be hiding behind Rick and Jim aren't I?

Hah!

Well I suppose... I suppose I'll just do what I can.

But really, it's just protection.

I'll try to help, but I don't think they'll get any promises from me.

"Tch," Dacey muttered, heading on after Rick and Jim.

(Dacey continued in Hold Me Closer Tiny Dancer)

Return to “Sea Cliffs”