Homework blues

Southridge has an extensive campus, including a courtyard and many athletic fields, among other things. It's a common sight to see students roaming about the campus -- especially when they're supposed to be in class.
Theseus†

Homework blues

Post by Theseus† »

Trey Leyton sat with his back against a tree. His bookbag was tossed to the side of him and he was quickly hurrying to finish the math homework he didn't do last night. Writing with his mechanical pencil, which was his penical of choice, he wrote, then erased, then wrote some more, trying to make it look like he at least attempted his homework. After a bit of writing, he dropped his pencil and notebook and leaned against the tree and closed his eyes.

Well, I didn't get much sleep last night. Maybe if I just rest my eyes for a bit I'll be better at this homework.

So that's where Trey found himself. In the school courtyard leaning against a tree with his eyes shut, knowing he had homework to finish, yet not having the motivation to do it. That and, he really didn't know how to do the homework anyways. It would be nice if someone would help him with it, but as of now, Trey was stuck figuring out math on his own, which would explain why he was failing the class.

I don't want to go to summer school.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Phew...

What an exhausting day it had been. Andrea Vanlandingham ran a hand absent-mindedly through her brown hair as her eyes traced across the courtyard in front of her. The dark brown Jansport backpack that was slung across her shoulder was getting quite heavy, seeing as she'd had to lug it halfway across campus from where she had finally managed to find a spot to park her car. She glanced down at the watch affixed to her wrist and sighed audibly. She had planned according to traffic and the average time it normally took her to get to school, find a parking spot, and walk to class, but traffic had been abnormally light today, and she'd managed to get to school much earlier than first period started.

Hardly anyone was here yet, but her eyes stopped on the one student who she did spot in the courtyard, and a slight smirk crossed her lips. Her black heels clicked lightly across the pavement as she continued across the sidewalk, but the other student didn't look up. She knew him, or at least, she knew of him. Then again, there weren't too many people that Andrea didn't at least know of. She was the class president, after all, she was supposed to know the Southridge student body. She was their voice.

She gazed lightly at Trey Leyton as he leaned against the tree with his eyes closed. She couldn't exactly tell whether he was simply resting his eyes or whether lack of sleep or something had gotten the better of him. The more she inspected him, the more it seemed like he really was sleeping, although she could have easily been wrong. The next thing she noticed besides the student "resting his eyes" was the open textbook sprawled out in front of him and what seemed to be a quite failed attempt at doing some math homework. She couldn't quite make out the symbols due in part to Trey's handwriting, the eraser marks all over the paper, and her current vantage point.

"You know..." Andrea spoke up in an attempt to ease the other student out of his light rest, "The homework gnomes aren't going to come out and finish that for you while you're sleeping."

She grinned through her square-rimmed glasses and placed her hands on her hips, watching the other student curiously. She couldn't imagine doing something as unorganized and scatterbrained as forgetting to do homework, or simply procrastinating to the point of not having it finished the morning before it was due. All in all, Andrea found it amusing. She was one of the top students in her class. Trey, however, was not, and she knew that much. She knew what form her rivals came in, and the jock sitting before her -- most jocks, really -- weren't "rival" material.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Trey was starting to drift off into sleep when he heard a voice. A female voice that sounded slightly familiar but he couldn't but his finger on who it was.

"You know...The homework gnomes aren't going to come out and finish that for you while you're sleeping"

Trey opened his eyes to see none other than Andrea Vanlandingham standing before him. Trey smiled and said,

"Yeah well, I love summer school so much, and I know my teachers love me so much, that if I nap now, not only does it benefit me, but it benefits them because they get to see me again in the summer."

Trey knew of Andrea. He voted for her to be class president, but really only because she got all new equipment in the gym. Other than that, he didn't know much about her besides that she was very smart, and always dressing up. Personally, Trey saw no reason in dressing that nice for school, but to each their own he guessed.

Speaking of outfits, there wasn't much to what Trey was currently wearing. Just a pair of semi-tight light faded jeans with some rips in them at the knees and a red Southridge High shirt. His lettermans jacket over that, and that was his outfit. Besides his white vans with the odd designs on them. Though, from months of running around with them, they weren't so much white as off white now.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

((Continued from Round One, Fight One; Paul vs. Troy))

"Rival" material for Andrea, in fact, arrived at school early enough to notice her and Trey lounging about under a tree. The material disembarked from his parents' family Camry in a plain black T-shirt, slightly baggy jeans and suede Sketchers that looked as if they might have gotten its wearer some semblance of a positive social life back when they were fresh out of their shoebox. He carried a backpack that seemed modest enough, but only because today was one of those days that were full of subjects that didn't require heavy textbooks.

Eduardo Trinidad-Villa didn't have very good opinions of either of the students on the other side of the tree as he trudged to it from the sidewalk. Not enough to boil over into outright animosity, of course, but that was very closely linked to the opinions he'd had of them.

To him, Andrea was the class super-student. She was president, probably valedictorian and undoubtedly one of the brightest stars in the entire school. She looked like she meant business, which often meant that she damn well did. She looked like the kind of girl who could seize each and every college opportunity handed on her, with or without the silver platter, and she damn well was going to use it. After all, she wasn't class president for nothing.

Trey was, of course, the typical jock to him. Big or small (save for perhaps the leviathan Boxer Carvalho and the discharged and disgraced Ric Chee), they were all pretty much the same at this point in their lives. They could be lazy with their academics as long as they made the minimum GPA to get their scholarships and played to win the trophies for their school. Of course, not all of them went on to the pro leagues...for the jocks were a food chain within their own food chain. There were the successes and the rejects.

It was people like Trey who were effectively served by people like Andrea and Eduardo in the end. It didn't matter how smart you were unless you could effectively use the brute force needed to keep the rest in line. Andrea got the jock vote by getting new equipment for the sports teams, such as Boxer's football team and - of all people - Troy "Trojan" McCann's basketball team. In return, Eduardo figured the jocks would at least leave her well enough alone. It was all a big protection racket that he'd often found himself at the losing end of.

He'd gotten to the other end of the tree just as they were starting their conversation, and at one point he felt compelled to add, "She's got a point. You need to go out and find some gnomes who'll do that for ya." His monotone had a hint of a Hispanic accent.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler laZardo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

The sound of her voice seemed to throw Trey from his sleep, and he looked up at her, commenting how much he just loved summer school and the teachers there and how it just wouldn't be a summer without spending every day of it in class. She couldn't help but stifle a laugh. A small smirk played across her features as she stared down at Trey's textbook and shook her head. The bottom of her black high-heeled shoes clacked quietly in a rhythm against the sidewalk as she stood there. It was something she'd always done, for as long as she could remember. Standing around made her antsy, and when she got antsy, she began tapping her heels. The steady beat of the noise was soothing for some reason or another.

"Well..." she began, but was promptly cut off by the sound of another voice entering the conversation.

Her head tilted to the side lightly before she looked behind her, barely noticing the blob of black standing behind her and attempting to join in on their conversation. She simply blinked at Eduardo. Some people dislike other students for silly reasons, like their grades or their social status or even the clothes they can afford to wear. She always felt like Eduardo held some sort of resentment toward her for some reason, but the truth was, she didn't really care either way. Although both students were certainly smart, they were on two different sides of the spectrum. Eduardo was -- at least in Andrea's mind -- what someone would describe as a "nerd", basically.

Great grades. No friends. No social life. No nothing. It seemed like his entire existence was without purpose. Not like someone like her. Maybe he outdid her in the grades department. She didn't know, or really care. She was smart, she was successful, she considered herself beautiful, and she had the confidence, charisma, and drive to get her anything or anywhere she wanted to be. She tried to know most of her student body, but there was a select section of students -- like, the ones who didn't matter -- that even the class president didn't bother trying to get to know, and Eduardo was one of them.

"Hi Eddie," she stated simply.

Her attention immediately turned back to Trey, and she gave him a polite smile. Secretly, though, she was trying not to roll her eyes.

"Have you considered tutoring or anything?" she asked Trey seriously, "I mean, I know you've got the big, bad jock image to uphold, but even having someone help you during your free period is better than rushing around trying to do work you don't know how to do at the last minute."

Helping her fellow students was something Andrea considered part of her job. It went along with leading the student body, getting them new equipment, fundraising for prom, setting up for school dances, helping out in plays and productions. Andrea lived and breathed for her class presidency. She took her position very seriously. So, when she saw the opportunity to reach out to some of her fellow students, she jumped on it. She was decent enough in math, she supposed, and it couldn't hurt to dedicate fourty-five minutes of her day to helping another student. Besides, if Trey wanted help, she could always add "tutor" to her increasingly long resumé. That'd look good.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Trey was surprised when Eduardo Trinidad-Villa came up behind Andrea. Trey didn't really know Eddie, nor did he want to know Eddie. It's not that Trey had anything against Eduardo, it's just, he didn't see anything compelling about the 'geek'. Trey tried to be a nice guy, talking to people that his team members would probably shun openly, but he never felt compelled to strike up a conversation with Eddie, just because Trey did see himself on a different level then the boy.

Trey replied to Eddie's comment though by saying, "Well, if I could go out and find me some gnomes to do my homework I would probably be the happiest man alive, and the richest cause I'd have proof gnomes existed outside of traveling commercials."

Trey smiled, trying his best to be polite just because despite not having his homework finished, he was in a good mood this morning. He turned his attention back to Andrea and said, "Well, I should probably find me some math help. Being able to sleep in this summer would be nice, and I kind of want to graduate this year. That and, if I'm failing 2 classes I get kicked off the team and well, I'm already failing this."

Trey paused, looked down at his math book then back up at Andrea and said, "Not saying I havn't went to teachers for help before. That stuff doesn't work for me though, the one or two times I've ever tried it. They expect me to know the answer and I just kind of nod and say 'yes I understand' even though I have not a clue what they're doing. So if you got any good suggestions to help me pull off a beautiful D-, I'm all ears."
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

For Eduardo, the qualification of "tutor" actually just walked right up to him in the form of a colossal equine-esque linebacker who beat the on-the-job training into him before putting the smaller Eduardo into personal service, contrary to Andrea who could voluntarily choose such a vocation. Of course, that wasn't to say that being Boxer's "tutor" didn't come without its own little benefits...though that was something that Eduardo definitely didn't talk about. He put his hands in his pants pockets and sighed as a thought of those benefits briefly breezed through his mind.

"Trigonometric functions. Sines, cosines, tangents, and their 'co-' opposites," Eduardo replied as he tilted to one side to squint closely at Trey's math book, which happened to be about Precalculus. "Each of those little three-letter words are related like one happy family...and you really only need a right triangle as a reference." This from a student who was in AP Calculus and working through it with assembly-line efficiency. If he could explain elementary algebra to Boxer...how much harder could it be to explain precalculus to a jock that Eddie believed was actually smarter than the behemoth was?

Of course, math happened to be Eduardo's strongest subject out of all his so-called academic "strength." Not that affirmative action would have made that matter had he chosen to go into college, since he happened to also be from one of America's most "afflicted" minorities (and "legal" too, so he wouldn't have to go through the hassle normally associated with people from south of America's borders.) And given that he still had a bit of time before his first subject actually started, he could probably help Trey catch up unless he'd fallen that far back.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler laZardo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Trey looked up at Eduardo, who was talking about sines, cosines, triangles. All of it confused him greatly and he could only give Eduardo a puzzled look, then he glanced at Andre. Trey then said, "A right triange as a reference? That would be nice if I knew how to even do that."

Trey looked at his book which was laying haphazardly at his side and he looked back up at Eduardo and Andrea. It was two people that he really never expected to be talking to here before class started outside by this tree, and at the same time it all made perfect sense.

Trey reached up and scratched the front of his head while he continued to look up at the two.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Andrea sighed under her breath as Eduardo proceeded to butt into the conversation she was having with Trey. The truth was, while she had time for people like Trey Leyton -- people who matter, in other words -- she didn't have either the time nor desire to associate with someone like Eduardo. At first, she had planned on offering her tutoring services to Trey, but since Eduardo had all but jumped in and seemingly volunteered himself for the job, Andrea was quite content to leave things that way. She offered Trey an apologetic smile and shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. It didn't bother her either way.

"Well," she responded after a moment, "Sounds like you don't need my assistance. I think Eddie here just volunteered himself for the job."

Somehow, she doubted Eduardo's volunteerism would do any good. Trey looked just as confused as he had before she'd approached him a few moments ago. Eduardo was spouting off about the various different mathematical functions like it was a second language to him, and Trey just seemed to look at the other student blankly in response. She couldn't help but think that Eduardo definitely wouldn't be any help in that department. Then again, you never know, she told herself. Somehow, Eduardo seemed to help that idiot Boxer Carvalho slide by in class.

I always thought that was odd... teachers pass athletes regardless, just because they're athletes. At least, most of the ones around here do... like Coach Whittenburg... Christ that man's an idiot, I don't know how he ever managed to become a teacher. All he ever talks about is sweaty men running around the football field. Tends to make you wonder...

Andrea smirked to herself but quickly pushed the thought out of her head. It appeared that Eduardo would be all the help Trey needed, although Andrea couldn't help but find it funny that someone normally so antisocial would suddenly seem to volunteer their help out of the blue. She and Eduardo had never quite seen eye to eye on many things. He seemed to think he was some sort of 'rival' to her or something, but Andrea just didn't like him. To her, he was a peon, someone of nonimportance, not worth wasting her breath on. Regardless, she saw this moment as the perfect opportunity to excuse herself.

"Guess I'll be seeing you around Trey," she mused with a light smile as she pushed her way past the two students and headed toward the door leading into the building.

"Bye Eddie," she uttered as an afterthought.

((Andrea continued somewhere else.))
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

Eduardo was no more bothered by Andrea leaving to seek out other opportunities as Andrea was at him scooping up this one. Neither was he bothered that Trey seemed as in-the-dark on the subject at hand than Boxer was a couple months after he started. He sighed as he watched her give her good-byes and go into the school building before returning his attention to Trey like she was never really there in the first place.

This wasn't exactly volunteerism for Eddie as much as it seemed like it. Perhaps being..."compelled" to find a word...to help people like Trey and Boxer had already imbued in him a Pavlov-like response to seeing a jock needing help. The response was also based off the fear of physical retaliation, which happened to be a very real threat, hence Eddie's subservient demeanor toward these people, racial implications be damned. Andrea's subservience, on the other hand, was the kind that empowered the jocks...after all, what could give people like them more confidence than better sporting equipment, while the textbooks others used still listed Bush I as President of the United States?

Eddie had already formulated a 5-ish-minute lesson plan for Trey's "urgent" needs that would include simply memorizing the parts of the right triangle (three sides, three angles) and how they plugged into the formulas ("one side over the other, really"), all without leaving the open page on Trey's textbook.

"Andrea...she's really quite the supergirl, isn't she?" Eddie replied in a tone that would have actually been dreamy-complimenting had he not intended it as utter yet truthful sarcasm.

((On a side note, sines/cosines/tangents was the exact same material I was actually teaching my little brother nigh earlier this week. O_O))
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Trey watched as Andrea said her goodbyes and left and he said, "See you around" as she walked away. His attention then shifted to Eddie who had said something about Andrea being quite the supergirl. Trey couldn't decide wether the statement was genuine or complete sarcasm, but decided that it was the latter considering it was Eddie speaking.

Trey looked down at this homework which had erase marks all over it and he then said, "So can you help me with this or not?" Trey looked at Eddie, not sure how he ended up in this situation, talking to Eddie asking him for help in his math. Well, he needed to get a good grade in the class, failing was something that Trey was doing right now that really needed to be avoided.

((Really? ha well on a side note for me sines/cosines/tangents are what I'm really failing in school right now Image ))
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

"Oh...sorry," Eddie replied as Trey spoke up, shaking his head and sitting down beside Trey at the tree. He sighed and tried to be thankful that he hadn't been harassed yet today.

He peered at the relevant open page in Trey's textbook and pointed to what appeared to be a triangle with a square in one corner, with sides and angles labeled in uppercase and lowercase A, B, and C respectively.

"That's a right triangle, named for the right angle in the corner there, with the square. Pick one of the other two angles," he said, pointing at a lowercase a, "and you'll have the opposite side," sliding it to the side with the uppercase A, "the adjacent side," down to the B, "and the hypotenuse, C. The sine, cosine, whatever the fuck they are, are all based off making fractions out of each of the three sides."
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Trey just stared at the triangle that Eddie had pointed too, and he listened intently to what Eddie had said, but while he listened, it all seemed to go over his head. He heard the words, but not the meaning. Ah well, Trey thought that he was a senior, he could always just go to summer school to make up the class, but then again, passing with a D- would be so much easier.

Trey just looked up at Eddie, and rather than admitting right away that he had no idea what he was talking about, he decided to play it off like he does with the teachers.

He just nodded his head in agreement.

Then he decided to ask questions.

"So...pretty much this triangle is important huh?"
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

"Yeah, that's why they call it trigonometry," Eddie replied, trying to temper his sarcastic tone but ending up with something like a Latino Ben Stein. "Everything basically starts from it. There's also a triangle inside a circle, but that's for those college geeks already."

Eddie knew the frustration of having start from the A-B-C-Ds with Boxer, but at least the Boxer he knew didn't forget them when it came to his E-F-G-H. He hoped that Trey couldn't possibly be any worse, though he also half-believed that Trey would fail anyway. Yet it was due to the possible of the consequences of Trey failing that Eduardo continued to help him. If worse came to worse, he could even write up a cheat sheet that Trey could easily get by his math teacher.

Eduardo put down his backpack and sat beside Trey. Were there a photographer nearby, the scene could easily be taken for the front of a pamphlet or handbook promoting the cheap facade of a paradisaical high school life.

"It's got two sides and the long side. The formulas there," Eduardo's finger moved down to a conveniently-placed square containing what appeared to be a set of fraction formulas, "...will earn you at least a D. You just have to plug in the right sides." He then started to - or at least tried to - explain how the data for each of the sides plugged into each other, using layman's language.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Trey listened to what Eddie was saying, which sounded a lot like what his teacher had been telling him for the past semester. Trey watched as Eddie sat down and pointed to a triangle and some formulas and told Trey that if he had that down, he could pass the class with at least a D. Trey smiled and said, "That's what I'm talking about then."

While he continued to listen to Eddie and his speech on triangles and formulas and all that other giberish Trey unzipped his bookbag and took out his cell phone. Flipping it open he checked the time then placed the cell phone back into the bag.

Class is going to start soon.

Trey would love to skip class today, he would love to just take the day off, but he knew that wasn't going to happen. Senoritis was hitting Trey hard this year, and he wanted nothing more than to be done with highschool.

Return to “Southridge Campus”