Long Walks

Feel free to post

The beautiful shoreline that outstretches into the Atlantic Ocean is Denton's pride and joy. A large amusement park has been built on the coast and is one of the primary sources of income for the city. Further up, a marina filled with boats exists, and even further up is the desolate and untainted shoreline, stopped only by a lone pier that juts out into the water.
Nealosi†

Long Walks

Post by Nealosi† »

The beach wasn't far from Jackie's new home. A short walk down the hill and a shorter walk past the amusement park and there was an expansive stretch of white sand. The waves lulled back and forth gently on the shoreline and erased any signs of footprints. Jackie kicked off his shoes and pealed his damp white socks from his feet. He left them on a rounded stone near a verdant coastal tree. Grainy flecks of sand tickled his body as he walked towards the damp shoreline. He was surprised to note that only one other person trekked the sands ahead of him. An elderly man with an ancient straw hat sat alone at the far end of the beach. The sun was setting and his silhouette hide his features, but Jackie could tell his clothes were ragged and unkempt and he could somehow infer that the man was aged.

Jackie drew his feet through the soft etches of powder and gently crossed into the wet patches of beach soil. He continued on his meandering path towards the old figure and admired the waning rays of sunlight bounding off the glimmering caps of the ocean. It was serene and peaceful. Jackie found he was reminiscing.

"It's been a long time, son," Jeremy Kovacs stood at the crooked entranceway of Selina Kovacs' apartment. Jackie's mother wasn't home right now, so Jackie let him in. "So, how have you been?"

Jackie stared at his father a while; time had not done his delicate male-model features justice. He was haggard and his hair was a mess of occasional greys hidden in dark browns. His eyes were a junkie red and he wore a long brown trench coat that had seen obvious wear. He trembled lightly when he spoke.

"Mom isn't here right now, Dad," Jackie turned his head away. "Didn't she tell you she's not giving you any more money? I don't have any money either."

"I didn't come here for money, Jackie" his tone got louder. "I just came by to see you. Jesus, can't a guy say hello to his son?"

"Well, I believe moms restraining order says you can't," Jackie wandered into the living room with Jeremy Kovacs in tow.

"Where is she right now?"

"New York. I think."

"And she left you alone -"

"It's only for the weekend. As soon as the fashion show is over she's coming back. She has a job to do, Dad."

"I thought she would've given up modelling years ago."

"Well, she doesn't model anymore thanks to you," Jackie really didn't want to do this on a Saturday morning. He rolled his eyes in hopes that his Father would get the message. He never did. "She just writes critiques now, and does designing here and there."

"So is she making anymore money doing that?"

"I don't know, Dad," Jackie's voice was getting louder to match the deep rumbles of his father. "Why don't you go ask her yourself? Better yet, why don't you get a job? You look terrible. Jesus!"

Tears began to well in Jackies eyes; he choked back guilt and swallowed hard regret. He stifled himself before bursting into emotion. Jackie collapsed into a kitchen chair. He sat with his head in his hands and his elbows propping him up on the table. He didn't look up but he could hear the door slam shut as his father walked out the door.

Just memories now. There were far worse ones too. Still, Jackie had come here to remember them. He took his eyes away from the ocean. That was the one of the last times Jackie would see his dad. It was a disheartening memory, but at the same time a little redeeming. Jackie's father had never really been a part of the family. Jeremy Kovacs would spend all his time out womanizing, drinking, gambling and later shooting up while Selina Kovacs was out working hard to raise a Jackie. That's why these memories made Jackie a little happy. They were over and done with, and Jackie wasn't one to dwell on the failures of the past. It was sad to think of his father this way, but it wasn't really about him. It was about the memory. His mother had always sacrificed herself protected him for Jeremy, but now she didn't have to.

Jackie once again noted the old man sitting on the beach. He sat down next to him. He was indeed haggard and ancient, but somehow Jackie could tell they had both come here for the same reason. The two never said a word to one another. The simply sat sharing silence. As the sun finally set, the two both stood up and started on their separate ways home.

Jackie wasn't frigthened to make his way home in the dark.

((Excuse the long post. I'm building character :P))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Nealosi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “The Seaside”