Theoretically

Open

Located on the first floor of the school building, the language arts wing houses all the school's English, Spanish, and other foreign language classes. The Principal's office is also in this area.
Hollyquin†

Theoretically

Post by Hollyquin† »

[[Hayley Kelly continued from Pour Me a Drink]]

Hayley's head was planted firmly on her desk.

Her headache was intense- she imagined her brain throbbing, constantly beating against her skull. This was her unfortunate reaction to alcohol- as the drunkenness faded away she'd experience what she called as a day-of hangover, oxymoronic as that may be. The long walk back to school from her drunken escapade in the Promenade's back alley had been enough to make her tipsiness a happy memory, and replaced the euphoria with a stabbing pain in her skull. She heard Mr. Liatsis talking, but he sounded like an adult in an old Peanuts cartoon. Wah wah...wah wah wah...wah.

Literary Theory was Hayley's favorite class, in theory (no pun intended). The kids who actually volunteered to take the class tended to be the smarter ones, as it was a class that required actual thought, as opposed to the basic classes that required students to write- shudder- book reports and such. So elementary school, that. However, Hayley's preferred style of learning involved a lot of discussion, as opposed to a lot of writing things down. And Mr. Liatsis was...well, maybe a little crazy. Or maybe a lot crazy. He had his own crackpot theory for everything- and not just literature, either. Rarely a day went by when the students in his classes didn't hear about how Bush planned 9/11.

The class had been reading Sula, and Hayley, who couldn't stand anything by Toni Morrison, hadn't been keeping up with the reading. She never got in trouble for it, though, as she had SparkNotes to help with the homework, and Mr. Liatsis very rarely asked for volunteers, and even when he did, he never called on her. On the first discussion period of the semester, when the class was reading The Plague, Hayley had explained how similar the story was to The Matrix. After that Mr. Liatsis seemed to avoid her. He gave her high grades, though- she figured that was just because he had no idea what she was going on about.

Not that she minded, especially today. She'd been drunk in this class before and if anything it helped her performance- she could think of really insane theories to really confuse Mr. Liatsis- but a headache never did much for her. She managed to prop her head up with her hands, concentrating on the words coming out of Mr. Liatsis's mouth. Maybe he was actually talking about something important.

She heard the word 'Freemasons' before giving up.

I'm so not in the mood for this...
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Hollyquin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

((Annaliese Hansen continued from Down the Back of the Building))

Annaliese absently drummed her pencil on her notebook as she listened to Mr. Liatsis' current diatribe against the Bush administration. While conspiracy theories weren't really her thing, she had no problem listening to the teacher ramble on. Unlike most of her other teachers, Mr. Liatsis was really interested in his student's opinions. He never marked anyone down for not agreeing with him. In fact, as long as you could decently defend your opinions, he never failed anyone. And for that reason alone, most of the class adored him.

Her ears perked up as Mr. Liatsis started linking the government and the Freemasons. The really outrageous theory portion of class was just kicking off. As the innocuous, pudgy, and slightly balding teacher began drawing a diagram on the board, from the next seat over, Hayley Kelley finally gave up her impersonation of a corpse and propped herself up. Annaliese rolled her eyes and wondered for the millionth time WHY Hayley was in Lit Theory. She rarely participated and seemed to put forth no effort into the class except to try and outdo poor Mr. Liatsis in the crazy theory department.

As Hayley propped herself up, Annaliese caught a whiff of her breath. She lifted her hand, discreetly waving it in front of her face to try and dissipate the distillery smell coming off Hayley. Ewww. God, she's blitzed again! First, I get to play hall monitor to the stoners, now this. My horoscope did NOT warn me about this today.

Waiting until Mr. Liatsis was engrossed in detailing how the government was run by Freemasons, Annaliese leaned across the isle and poked Hayley with the eraser on her pencil. "Dude, why are you here," she whispered harshly. "If you're so damn bored with school that you need to be hammered, just do the rest of us a favor and stay home!"
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

Oh, Christ, Annaliese. God, I need a fucking cigarette...

Hayley rubbed her temples, looking over at Annaliese. She knew her- of course she knew her; it was unlikely that there was a student in Bayview who didn't, freshmen notwithstanding. Not a day went by where Hayley wouldn't hear something about one of Annaliese's pet causes- one thing or another that Hayley couldn't give less of a crap about. She couldn't really dislike her for that, though- at least Annaliese was smart. In another reality, perhaps the two could have been, or were, friends. She does dress like me...you know, circa freshman year?

Of course, that was not to be, and the reason was obvious. Hayley did not do well with judgment. Hypocritical, yes- Hayley herself was the queen of judgmental- but, dammit, if she was going to cut class to get drunk, that's what she was going to do, and she did not appreciate Annaliese's input on the matter. Had Hayley not had a massive headache, she would have shrugged her off with a witty, sarcastic comment, but in her current state she was easy to piss off. The look Hayley gave her was best described as icy.

"Honestly, Annaliese? I don't give a shit what you think I should do. If I had anything else to do, I'd be there doing it, fucking believe me, but I don't, so I'm here. The end."

Hayley cradled her head in one hand, that quiet outburst causing her headache to increase in intensity. She tried not being bitchy in class- at least not to people's faces- as she didn't particularly like causing unnecessary conflict, but her head wasn't exactly on straight. She looked up at Mr. Liatsis, desperate for something to concentrate on. He appeared to be attempting to meander his way back from government conspiracies to Sula. She made a token attempt to make an attention- at least it distracted her.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Hollyquin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

"Honestly, Annaliese? I don't give a shit what you think I should do. If I had anything else to do, I'd be there doing it, fucking believe me, but I don't, so I'm here. The end."

Hayley's shitty tone caused an almost knee-jerk reaction in Annaliese. Oh-ho ho ho ho. Fuck this bitch AND the horse she rode in on. If she thinks she's somehow cowed ME, she's got another thing coming.

She bit down on the inside of her mouth to stifle the urge to show Hayley EXACTLY what else she could be doing, right in Mr, Kendrick's office. The thought of ruining Hayley's buzz by having the principal scare the piss out of her carried a delicious vibe of divine justice. I mean, who's stupid enough to get shitfaced as a senior and then STAY at school? What a fucktard!

Instead of raising her hand, flagging down Mr. Liatsis, and narcing on Hayley (no matter how satisfying it would feel), Annaliese waited until the Lit Theory teacher was distracted by the sleeping boy in the corner to lean over and resume her 'discussion' Hayley.

"Eat a dick, Rebel Without a Clue," Annaliese softly snarled. "I know that in your own head, you're a special little snowflake and we're all supposed to be awed by you or some shit. But get this, princess. You're no more special than the rest of us and the rules apply to your retarded ass too. And yes, you ARE retarded for being dumb enough to get drunk on campus and then stay here."

Watching Mr. Liatsis out of the corner of her eye, she had just enough time to add, "I'd say something to the staff myself, but I don't need to contribute to your piss-poor karma. I figure you can hang your own self just fine."

When the teacher swung his head in the direction of the two girls, the plastered a sunny smile on her face as if she had been listening to him attentively the whole time. Today has gone WAY beyond 'elaborating ideas for others', she groused to hersely. Knew I shouldn't have trusted the horosope text I got this morning.
armeggedonCounselor†

Post by armeggedonCounselor† »

((Introduction of Janet Binachi.))

Janet glanced sidelong at the two girls, Hayley and Annaliese. She had no opinions about either, as she had never spoken to them, but Hayley was slightly lower in her book. Laziness and delinquency were undesirable traits, after all. Of course, Annaliese was far too indecisive in and of herself. Still, the argument of the two would be an interesting case study. She flipped open her ostensibly insignificant notebook in which she kept all of her notes. Her handwriting was neat and concise. She typically left out vowels if she needed to write quickly, because letters were at a premium during lectures, and vowels got the boot. The writing of notes was an exercise in redundancy anyway; she could typically remember the lecture well enough to get the information even weeks later, albeit with a few small holes. What she used this notebook for most, of course, was her observations on the actions and psychology of her peers. She enjoyed studying human reaction to issues, and why they reacted that way. It helped her understand why she was different from others, and why she wasn't quite as different as she thought she was. The only things that still confused her were love and companionship. She could see why it was necessary from, say, a biological stand point, but she would never understand the couples who needed each other constantly.

Janet quickly jotted down some notes on the situation:

Subject 1: Drunk, angry, delinquent. Obviously feeling sickly from drinking.
Subject 2: Angry, pretentious, self-righteous. Obviously feeling powerful... or something similar. (Note: Require better vantage point to examine subjects current feelings. Will go to the bathroom in 5 min.)

Subject 1 arrived in class with a difference to her normal behavior. She was a bit wobbly on her feet (explainable from poor sleep habits. Sleep habits are noted through biological means: dark circles under eyes, unfocused, constantly falling asleep in class.), speech was not slurred. Drunkenness is detected through Subject 2's comments, which were spoken quietly. NOTE: I may have misheard, closeness to subjects not withstanding. Subject 1 responded nastily to Subject 2, which has escalated the altercation. Much name calling from Subject 2.

Note: Calling them subject 1 & 2 is furthering my disconnect. Need to stop this habit. Stupid.

She looked up to further observe the situation. She let her gaze wander slightly to allay suspicion from Hayley and Annaliese. Of course, them noticing would not be horrible. She would lose the ability to continue the observation, as the anonymity of her observing would be lost. But that wasn't terrible.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler armeggedonCounselor. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

Oh...oh fuck no. You are shitting me. You are SHITTING me. I will punch this girl's fucking li- no, Hayley, chill out. No use giving Annaliese the satisfaction of getting me in trouble. Shit, though...bitch is way out of line.

Those thoughts ran through Hayley's mind quickly after Annaliese's words, but her only immediate reaction was a wide roll of her eyes. This was so deliciously typical. Rebel Without A Clue? Really? She gave Mr. Liatsis a small, irritated sort of smile, not exactly an uncommon expression for Hayley. Mr. Liatsis looked at her for a moment, but apparently decided to pass on without comment. As soon as he was again out of eyesight, she scowled.

I really don't want to get into this shit with this girl. Unlike some kids, I don't get off on drama.

But Hayley wasn't the type to let anyone else get the last word in any situation- let alone after she'd been so harshly insulted. She looked back up at Annaliese, a small and extremely fake smile on her face.

"Feel free to stop talking about shit you know nothing about. As much as I appreciate the concern, I'm all set on my end, so you do you, sweetheart, and hop off my dick." She smiled a little wider and returned to her notebook, thanking God, Buddha and whoever else there was to thank that class was almost over. Annaliese was right about one thing- this was the absolute last place she wanted to be. The only reason she was here at all was, considering the amount of cuts on her record, she honestly needed to be going to class.

Not that that'd stopped her for the last two periods, but hey- Hayley had a massive case of senioritis that was not to be denied.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

"Feel free to stop talking about shit you know nothing about. As much as I appreciate the concern, I'm all set on my end, so you do you, sweetheart, and hop off my dick."

Annaliese just stared at Hayley, her expression closed before she responded in a flat voice. "Sure thing. I know you worry when the line backs up. By the way, just out of curiosity, what's your going rate?"

Save me, Jeebus from the stupidity that's surrounding me today, she silently snarked. First the loadies in the hall, now this. I've done my good deed by pointing out the stupidity of all their actions and not giving any of them up, so none of this should back splash on me.

Shrugging and shaking her head, Annaliese turned back to her notes. She knew she shouldn't have said anything but she was just done. Being done was definitely becoming the theme for today. She was done dealing with Hayley. Where Hayley got off getting pissed off that someone finally called her on her bullshit completely baffled Annaliese. It wasn't like today was the first time Hayley had come to class altered in some fashion. And everyone had tolerated her when she tried to derail discussions because she hadn't done the required work to participate but Annaliese was done.

She was done playing good Samaritan. Let her fellow seniors get themselves kicked out of school when the end was so close. Screw trying to help lower the drop-out rate. If the drop-outs were her fellow Bayview students, the reason they weren't in school and graduating had nothing to do with having uncaring, underperforming teachers. That was the students' bad. And as much as she normally loved Mr. Liatsis, she was completely done with his class for today. No more conspiracy theories.

Reaching up, she absently rubbed her brow and muttered, "I am so going to need to hit the gym tonight to balance out after today. Seriously, it's been nothing but jackasses on parade." This was so not how she had expected to be spending her time today. Where exactly did I fuck up my karma to deserve this?
armeggedonCounselor†

Janet frowned slightly. She had been... not hoping, not really, but expecting, yes, that was a safer word, expecting Hayley and Annaliese to get further into it. Already it looked like the argument was done and over with. Whether that would stick was another question. She jotted down notes that the argument seemed to have failed to escalate, but that she would still keep an eye on it. She thought for a second, then scribbled out all the times she had put subject in her small observation, replacing it with proper names. While it now read like a small child's story, it also felt less robotic, which was good.

Everyone always said she needed to stop being robotic if she wanted to start being human. Everybody, of course, being the few people she actually talked to at school and the authors of the few self-help books she had read on the subject. Okay, yeah, so it was a little lame trying to learn to connect with people from a self-help book, but it would serve her well to at least get a base coat on her social life. Her father had always instructed her that relating to people was foremost in getting them to buy your product. He then said, usually with a laugh and only if he'd been drinking a bit, that the next part was paying Uncle Mike to take care of your competition. That was usually when her mom would drag him off to bed, and he would sit down with her the next day and explain that violence was usually never the answer. But she was digressing, even in her own mind.

Her focus shifted to the clock. Already, time was dragging on. Of course, that was merely a construct of her mind; the anticipation of the end of her High School career, the last summer in St. Paul before college and, of course, college itself was causing her mind to dilate time. It was similar to moving at high speeds: everything was moving faster, and yet time was moving slower. Stupid human brain and it's artificial constructs of time. Stupid perception of time and it's necessary slowing and speeding of... itself.... She really need to think more about these metaphors before she thought about these metaphors.... Anyway, the point she was trying to make: her anticipation of the future made the present feel much longer. And so it felt like the minute hand stayed on that 6, the 30 minute mark, forever. School let out at 2:35, just five minutes left in this class.

Longest. Five minutes. Ever.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler armeggedonCounselor. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

Hayley laughed- literally laughed out loud. Oh, and now she calls me a whore! Because I haven't heard that shit a hundred times before. This girl is truly stunning with her originality. I mean, she does look like a Hot Topic threw up all over her, so I shouldn't be surprised. She covered her mouth and quieted her laughter as Mr. Liatsis turned around, giving her a strange look- she managed to smile at him, pretending to take notes while keeping her pencil point a few millimeters away from the paper. He turned back around, and Hayley looked back at Annaliese.

"Jealousy doesn't suit you, dear." She returned to her work, smirking to herself. She remembered the words of her best friend- "Haters make you famous, angel." No one could argue that Hayley's reputation didn't proceed her, and while some might call it a bad reputation, Hayley believed that all publicity was good publicity. And besides, if liking sex gave you a bad reputation, Hayley couldn't really complain.

She was feeling better mentally- the occasional argument with an irritating, sanctimonious classmate was good for the soul after all- but physically she was feeling worse. Her headache was getting worse, and she was getting a stomachache to go with it. Not the hunger kind of stomachache- the possible-vomit kind of stomachache. She refused to look weak in front of Annaliese, though- refused to give her more mocking fodder.

Hayley stared at the clock. Two minutes left. The seconds were going oh-so-slowly- she needed to get out. She wondered if she could still see Kyle after school, and then realized that probably wasn't wise. What Hayley needed was a soft bed to sleep this all off. One minute left. Come on, come on...

And there went the bell, the sound of it hurting her head. She packed her notebook into her bag, slinging it over her shoulder and leaving the room as quickly as possible, swinging her hips as she walked- keeping a strong face on.

[[Hayley Kelly continued in "A wretched hive of scum and villainy?" "Worse, high school students."]]
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

She is just crazy, Annaliese thought to herself as Hayley began laughing. No wonder Mr. Liatsis puts up with her antics. They're kindred souls. Several intense volunteering sessions downtown had taught her the basics of dealing with crazy people. Rule 1, part 1, section 1, A: Do not engage. If you mistakenly get one, just let them run down and slowly walk away. Gameplan firmly in place, she resolved herself to ignoring whatever brain droppings Hayley dribbled out.

Even when Hayley threw back the entirely baseless assertion that she was, for reasons beyond rational thought or explanation, jealous of her, Annaliese just bit her tongue and fought the urge to respond. She just kept repeating a mantra to herself, Saying it out loud is not worth the hit to your karma. Saying it out loud is not worth the hit to your karma.

Annaliese could feel the words dying to come spilling out of her lips, so she began to focus on doing some yoga breathing to calm herself. As she focused on her Pranayama, she willed herself to relax and allow the stress of the past hour to flow from her.

The sudden ringing of the bell startled her, causing her to let out a surprised little gasp rather than her normal Poorak. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Hayley beeline for the door, an exaggerated swing to her hips as she sashayed out of sight.

"Yup. So jealous of not being a cheap Rosa Fiametta knock-off," Annaliese muttered with a dismissive shake of her head. Who in the world WANTED to be known as the whore? "Don't try to figure it out," she ordered herself as she flipped her notebook closed and stuffed in into her bag. "You'll only make your brain hurt."

Gathering her last of her things, she gave Mr. Liatsis a jaunty little wave before heading out the door.

((Annaliese Hansen continued elsewhere))
armeggedonCounselor†

Janet closed her notebook and tucked it into her book bag. She loitered for a second, letting the press of people clear out of the way before she followed, nodding to the teacher as she left. She glanced at her watch and thought for a moment. Mother and Father wouldn't be home until 4:00, so she had a little time to kill. She nodded to herself and turned down the hallway.

((Gah, fuck writer's block. Janet Binachi continued in "A wretched hive of scum and villainy?" "Worse, high school students.".))

Return to “Language Arts Wing”