Hard World

Tagging Buko ; June 14th, 2018; 1/5

This forum contains scenes set off of the island, taking place concurrently with V7 and its broadcast. Please be sure to thoroughly read the rules prior to posting in this forum. If you have any questions, please consult staff.
Shiola

Hard World

Post by Shiola »

June 14th, 2018

The Queen Anne's Arms Pub

On the outskirts of a gated community, adjacent to a McDonalds, a tiny convenience store, and a wig shop that always seemed to be closed, there was a small English-style pub. Despite being located far from the main strip of bars and shops downtown, it was locally renowned for decent food, affordable drinks, and a complete lack of pretense. It was something of an open secret that the bar typically never checked for IDs, and so it occasionally drew a younger crowd than one might usually see at a bar. The dimly lit, L-shaped establishment attracted all sorts. While a relatively quiet place by nature, they didn't usually want for customers.

On this particular Thursday night however, the bar was somewhat empty. The owners attributed it to the recent kidnappings; the whole city seemed to be under a spell. The thinning patronage of the bar was made up for in part by the fact that those who did arrive ended up spending quite a bit of money. Despite being typically far removed from the troubles of the outside world, news of the disappearance managed to intrude even in this particular sanctuary.

One man had been a fixture of the bar for a few days now. He was a regular, though usually arriving late and taking a booth with a few of his friends. Tall, lean, always wearing a rumpled suit-jacket and sporting a light salt-and-pepper goatee, he liked to talk about big ideas. Snippets of his conversations were always interesting to the staff, who had become so used to his presence and sense of routine that they'd stopped asking what he wanted when he came in, and simply brought the man a pint of beer and a small plate of fried pickles.

The last few days, he'd arrived alone, and early. It was obvious he hadn't shaved or slept much, with dark circles hanging under blue eyes that seemed to have dimmed a little bit. He barely touched the fried pickles and sent back his beer in favor of a single bourbon, and then a steady stream of double bourbons afterwards. The bar staff knew enough not to cut him off, and to leave him alone.

A few well-intentioned patrons tried to start up a conversation with him, but were quickly shooed away by bar's owner when it became clear that they truly had no idea how well acquainted Rudolph Stieglitz was with the events of the last four days.

"Sorry 'bout that, Rudi. Can I getcha another?"

He nodded. Parts of him were starting to feel numb, but that was the point.

The bartender set a glass of Maker's Mark down in front of Rudi, on a coaster set between his cellphone and a tattered old journal. Written in faded ink on the brown pages were dozens of addresses and phone numbers. Some of the numbers were crossed out, or had been whited over and filled in with different addresses. Some were old colleagues, others were family friends. A few of them were celebrated relationships, like Detective Ferrie. A good man, he’d kept them in the loop as to the progress of the investigation.

At least, he had been doing so. For the last several minutes Rudi had been idly playing with the “refresh” function of his phone, waiting for a reply to his last email. It had been a day since their last correspondence. The man was surely busy.

He could at least spare a moment to say so, could he not?

Other contacts were best kept in an old address book instead of some digital library. His cannabis supplier, who he surmised had some connections to organized crime.

There were a few political figures he knew from his activist days, men and women knew to keep their ears to the ground. A cousin who worked in some bureaucratic capacity for Interpol, who owed Rudi at least one secret in exchange for keeping quiet about his flagrant womanizing. Only a few had gotten back to him yet. Busy lives and timezones were the cause of the delays, no doubt.

„Perhaps. Or they just don’t give a fuck.“

It felt like he was doing something. Rudi knew he was lying to himself. What were any of these people going to do here? What could they do to rectify a situation the government of the United States had failed to rectify? It was an embarrassment. For a country that prided itself on the strength of its defensive capabilities, that was so very obsessed and paranoid when it came to security, to yet again just lose one hundred and fifty-nine adolescents?

„You bastards lost my daughter. Where’s that fanatical American bravado when we actually need it? An eight hundred thousand strong intelligence community and they can't fix shit.“

Rudi fumed under his breath in his native tongue, cursing the country that up until this point had been very kind to him. It had been a place to gain respect in his field, and later wealth that had far and away surpassed what he’d ever expected to possess. For a time he’d thought that would be the extent of the good he could do in the world – mobilizing resources for one cause or another, using so-called “green capital” for the benefit of all mankind. Turning the capitalist engine in a direction that might benefit humanity.

Then Philip was born, and his perspective changed. It added a sense of urgency to his work. There had been some good years, before everything changed again. They almost lost him, and then gained more than they’d ever imagined. Erika was born, and in her blooming personality Rudi had come to realize that raising her was the best thing he’d ever done.

„Tried to do everything right. Gave her every opportunity. Moved heaven and earth to make sure she could be all she wanted to be. Tried to be a good father. Give her a future. For what? What was any of it worth?“

Irene wasn’t so pessimistic. She still held out hope that they might find the students, that some task-force would be formed to address the situation. When Rudi pointed out the flaws in that thinking, that it was going to be too late to save them all, she just jumped to another false hope. She’d taken Erika to all of those shooting competitions. Surely she’d be able to defend herself long enough to wait for rescue.

What if there wasn’t a rescue, he’d asked. Irene went quiet and told him that she knew their daughter, and that she’d never stop fighting. Then Rudi shouted, because he’d been drinking already and what was the use in holding anything back, at this point?

”I can’t believe you think our daughter is even capable of it! She won’t kill anyone, how could she do something like that?!”

“She can protect herself! She has to protect herself!”

“From what, her friends? She’ll just shoot them, yeah? What about Tyrell? You think she’ll put a bullet in his skull, too?”

“For Christ sakes Rudi, do you think Tyrell is going to let anything happen to her? They’ll look out for each other.”

“Until what?! Irene, for Gods sakes, who or what do you think is even going to be left when they find that fucking island?”

A short walk later, and he found himself here. At the bar, once again. Waiting for his own excuses not to feel completely hopeless. The best ones seemed to be at the bottom of a glass. As Rudi took another sip, the bourbon burning away his troubles, he saw a logo suddenly appear on his phone followed by an irritating chime. The battery had died.

“Shit.”

For the first time since he’d arrived, Rudi looked up and scanned the rest of the bar. Sometimes they had cables to charge phones with. As he looked to the end, his eyes drifted to another man who sat a short distance away. A Memphis Tigers cap sat low on his head, though Rudi caught a glimpse of a striking pair of light blue eyes. It was clear the two of them didn’t have much in common; this man was sturdy, blue-collar type, likely fifteen or twenty years Rudi’s junior if the apparent absence of grey hairs was any indication. He was sipping on a whiskey and coke, as Rudi continued to march through a parade of neat bourbons.

There was something familiar about him, though. Not that they'd ever met before, but he had a notion that they shared in a very particular kind of misery. This man was also a father. Rudi waved down the bartender.

“Peter – get this man another drink, it’s on me.”
Buko

Post by Buko »

This bar was not Mike Ortega’s usual…

But the last few days had been anything but.

A haze had invaded his mind, first from issues with Jaclyn Jackson, the mother of his only son Ace. They hadn’t spoken since news of the disappearance of a group of high school students returning from a senior trip. An ominous sign in the United States, one that had over a decade and hundreds of lives lost backing it’s malevolence.

Survival of the Fittest.

They didn’t know it for a fact but they knew it to be true.

He took a large sip of his drink.

[Mike Ortega, continued chronologically from: Three Magic Words ]

He had been in denial, he couldn’t claim otherwise, but was there any denying it now? Buses just didn’t disappear off the face of the earth. He, his only son, was out there--fighting and dying and there was nothing anybody could do about it. His solution had been drinking and leaving desperate voice mails to Jackie’s phone and avoiding his own siblings and parents calls. A freelance A/C tech by trade, he had no boss but his own. He hadn’t worked since the 9th. He had done nothing but drink and smoke and cry and drink and smoke and cry some more.

The Queen Anne was merely the closest bar he hadn’t overstayed his welcome in. He appreciated it, his plan was to drink until he ran out of cash or they kicked him out--why bother? What else could he do but wait.

He’s out there…

Fighting and dying…

And there’s nothing I can do about it.

He sipped until he saw ice.

He heard another voice ordering the bartender to get him another drink--Mike’s eyes, blue in iris and medium rare in hue from smoking and tears looked like the mere act of kindness was enough to break him. The bartender took away his drink and went to make him another. An older man, no doubt a father himself just as desperate for an ally or answers. It was too much to bare, Mike felt everything he had thought for the last five days swim to the front of his skull and burst through his eyes.

He began sobbing, almost immediately.

The bartender returned, baring the drink and extra napkins.

He breathed and brought ‘em to his face. Why pretend? He had read Rudi just as Rudi had done him. They both knew why they were here and Mike was a warrior incapable of putting on his armor. He had no protection from the world or his own thoughts, he had no filter from them either.

“I keep sayin’ it doesn’t matter…”

He took another sip, it felt cold and brisk on his tongue, the coke sticking to his mustache.

“I keep sayin’ that I’d feel the same way if the bus had crashed.”

He sipped until he saw ice again, a quick chug, with little grace. Mike savored the cold liquid leaking out the sides of his mouth and down his chin. Fuck pretense or decorum, who the fuck cared?

“I’m a fuckin' idiot.”
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Lookin' for the opps, they been hidin'
I grew up 'round drugs, sex, and violence
We turnt off they street, we heard sirens
Since a juvenile, I been wylin'
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Rudi wasn't sure what he'd expected, but the man's reaction to his gesture confirmed his initial suspicions. Folding his notebook shut and pocketing his phone, Rudi shuffled over and sat down at the bar stool next to him. His words seemed to betray thoughts Rudi had tried desperately to hold at bay - that somehow they'd made a mistake in letting the trip happen, that there must have been some point of failure when someone was at fault. Of course that was the kind of thing a parent, a father would think. If a man is going to be responsible for someone's life, their existence, than surely being victimized like this - it had to be some fuck-up, some blind spot they hadn't checked for.

Long ago he'd wrestled with something that felt, at least in character if not degree, similar. When Erika had run away at thirteen, he'd found every reason to blame himself. Maybe he'd been too distant, too consumed with his career to notice what had been going on with what he thought had been his son. When material explanations had failed him, he had drawn into his despair and self-hatred. Maybe he'd done something to deserve this, somewhere down the line. Maybe something he'd done had incurred a kind of karmic debt, and it had come to collect.

Nonsense, he'd told himself. When the situation had evolved, and his own thinking had adjusted on the matter, he knew it to be nonsense. His emotions playing tricks on his mind, making connections where there were none. It faded into memory, replaced by hopes and dreams for his daughter and the future she was going to choose. His fears had more to do with the outside world than what might've been lurking in her mind now. It almost seemed trite that he'd been worried about her love life or career prospects, that he'd held onto a lingering sense that he'd done something to put her in danger by encouraging her transition. It had been easy to forget about those things after she'd brought home a boyfriend, or brought him her acceptance letter to University.

In the same moment Mike was verbally self-flagellating the thought occurred to Rudi that he might've let those turns of good fortune make him forget how dangerous and unforgiving the world could be. It made him feel like a fuckin' idiot. There were nearly eighty sets of parents, and they'd either all made the same catastrophic mistake or none of them had. The latter seemed the more reasonable thought. Rudi tried his best to avail Mike's mood, despite the liquor that caused his accent to slip and his words to blur together slightly.

"I keep thinking there's something we all missed, some sign. Something we'll all realize was there the whole time. The truth is we did not see this coming any more than the last six sets of parents did. Not you or me or that asshole who tried to pay them off could have known. Maybe we could blame ourselves for hoping for the best for our kids, in this world we live in. Maybe not. Is it incumbent on us to as parents to be lifelong pessimists? Who is to say?"

He finished his drink, and waved down another round.

"Erika, my daughter - my wife thinks she's fighting, thinks she's going to stick it out. I..." Rudi's eyes became glassy as he struggled to continue. "I don't want to imagine her doing anyone harm. I don't know how Irene can even think..."

Rudi trailed off. The bourbon couldn't come back soon enough.
Buko

Post by Buko »

Mike heard the man speak--eloquent and empathetic and educated.

He usually distrusted those types.

Perhaps he still did.

He listened though because the man had paid for his drink and there wasn’t anything left to do and even for a brief, brief second it almost felt like he could replace his own anguish by witnessing someone else’s. He was desperate, he knew it…

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet, flipping open the billfold to reveal a picture of a young man on one knee, in a GHHS football uniform. Mike couldn’t look at the photo, he slid his wallet over in Rudi’s direction and stared ahead blankly…

“My main job as a Dad,” he began calmly, “Is teaching my son how to live when I’m gone.”

He didn’t know why he said that…

“I haven’t left him unprepared.”

He grimaced…

“They’re dead.”

He paused.

“It’s over, all of it. Dreams, goals, hardships and pain--it’s gone,” there was finality in this, “And that’s something we won’t have to imagine for very long. It’s no different than war, kill or be called upon.”

He sighed.

What would Ace do on that island when the chips were down? He had faith that he had raised his son right...but he had raised him right for this world and not for the one he was in. One of violence and vengeance and duplicity and betrayal. Would Ace curl up and die? Mike doubted it. Would he fight to live? Mike didn’t know...but he did believe in his heart of hearts that anybody was a killer if they were pushed to the limit.

“Our kids died on the bus,” he said again, “Even if your wife is right, your little girl ain’t comin back. Neither is my boy.”

The drinks came--he was thankful and he rose his glass…

“Mike Ortega,” he finally said, “Thank you for the drinks.”

He shook his head...

"To fatherhood, right?"
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Lookin' for the opps, they been hidin'
I grew up 'round drugs, sex, and violence
We turnt off they street, we heard sirens
Since a juvenile, I been wylin'
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Rudi silently raised his glass, returning the toast.

They sat quietly, for a little bit. Listening to the low din of the rest of the bar. Mike no doubt had little else to say, or if he did, he wasn’t sure how to to articulate it.

He was young, for a father. Had to have been, given the age of their kids. There was no way he was prepared. Rudi had been around Mike’s age when Erika was born, and it took a few years before he was sure of himself. Even then, he’d been wrong. Took a few more years before he felt like he was doing anything right.

There were no answers in the bottom of a glass. He didn’t come here looking for answers, despite the notebook and the phone calls. All he wanted was to feel numb. Yet, at the bottom of the glass he did find words. Maybe Mike needed to hear them, maybe not. Rudi had to speak them.

“We were always going to lose them.”

He took a sip, an idea managing to coalesce in his mind despite the alcoholic haze he seemed to be swimming in.

That’s what being a parent is. You’re always losing them, no matter how hard you try and hold on. Catches you off guard. You meet this new human being, this miracle you created. They don’t stay like that for long, and before you know it they’ve changed. You say to yourself you can live with those changes, they’re walking and talking, but you can live with it. You think you can. Yeah. Then one night they wake you up. Ask what happens after you die. Say some people at school talk about God, but it didn’t make sense to them. They want you to explain it, like you’re supposed to know. Because you are supposed to know. You’re Dad. You know everything, and you can fix anything. Even if you know in your heart, there are some problems that no one can fix. Some things get better with age, but staring down the barrel of the end, no. But you’re Dad, so you suck it up, figure out how to put them at ease even if you can’t help yourself, because at that point they still think you can do anything. Then all of the sudden they’re someone else, again. A teenager. Maybe you don’t even recognize them, but you learn to. Accept it. By this point I’d thought I didn’t know who she’s becoming. I knew she was happy, so I adapted. You’re a father, you’ve got to be strong even if you’re always playing catch-up. She started to surprise me. Dating Tyrell. First time I laid eyes on him I knew he was a shit-disturber. I used to be one, so I know the type. I trusted her, though. I’d be there to help her back up if he broke her heart. Can't hold on too tight or they pull away, Irene told me. Turned out Erika was right to like him, and I was the one acting like a child. This boy was good. Better than I could’ve hoped for. After a while, Irene and I almost started treating him like our own son. I knew I could trust my daughter, which meant I saw the next one coming. Adulthood. Started to get comfortable with that. Mike's right, you teach them how to live. Eventually the changes, they seem okay to you. The last one though, that’s yours to make.

He didn't actually say anything, instead staring at the empty glass, longingly. After a moment, he sputtered out something of an explanation for his cryptic silence.

“It's the last thing you do as a father. When your time comes, you teach them how to die. So they know they can get through it. That’s how it’s supposed to be. That’s why this feels so wrong.”

The aforementioned haze wasn’t thick enough to not feel a bit stupid for waxing poetic about fatherhood, life and death. Even to himself. Yet what the hell else was a man to do in a situation like this?

He turned to the bartender and waved down another round. Only then was he becoming aware just how much he was starting to slur his words.

“Shit. I’m Rudi, Stieglitz. Not leaving here completely on my own two feet if I can help it, not if I keep going on like that. It’s not something one’s supposed to do alone. Thank you.”

Return to “V7 Meanwhile”