The Fear Index

Night 10; Private

Found in the center of a clearing in the woods is a lone tree with hundreds of shoes hanging or nailed to it. It is unknown who put the first collection of shoes on the tree, but it was thought to be in protest of some aspect of life on the island. Originally going untouched due to the anger of the leaders of the island's community, over time people started to add their own shoes to the tree until it became what is is now.
Buko

The Fear Index

Post by Buko »

The day had turned to night with a shocking sort of speed. Ace hadn’t stopped moving in quite some time.

There had been a brief moment, after the adrenaline that came from fleeing the scene of the explosion had faded, where he had stopped to redo his bandages. His hat was gone. Left behind on the beach with Saku and the explosion—was she gone as well? Or was she holding on? Suffering, bleeding…dying. He had told her, hadn’t he? That he was gonna let her down. That had been what he had planned to do all along, wasn’t it? Leave her to die before she killed him or he had to kill her. That’s what he told himself. Telling himself was supposed to make it true. Making it true was supposed to make him feel better. He was supposed to feel better. He didn't.

It was tough to sleep next to someone you disliked. You couldn’t hug someone you didn’t care about. Hold the hands of a girl you despised? Kiss someone you found disgusting? The reality was that he could front and he could fake—but the best lies had an element of truth in ‘em. The truth was…he had cared about Saku—but he hadn’t been ready to die for her. He hadn’t been ready to watch her die either. So what'd he do? He had left her to die on her own. With strangers. He had been kissing her, touching her, cleaning her. She had been kissing him, touching him, healing him. They had been helping each other—if only for a short time. For a short time they had both been willing to play pretend with the other. What was the best way to get over somebody? Getting under someone else.

Rap lyric for everything. Still? Seemed kinda inappropriate, considering the situation. Being seen as inappropriate was the least of his concerns--he was likely seen and known as much much worse.

Beats had left more than Saku and his dignity on the lake shore—he had left his hat and his shoes as well. Being barefoot and running through the wild wasn’t a good time. Necessity picked his next destination for him. A place he had been before and a place near where he had just spent the night—the Shoe Tree. It had been over a week since he had been there with Ivy and Connor but it was still distinct and the same path he had taken from the Nature Lookout with Saku would lead to the area.

He had told her he was gonna end up disappointing her and she had said that she knew that. He had told her and she already knew. He knew that she knew. He knew that she knew that he knew that she knew. What was there to be mad about? Ace had only done what he had said he was going to do: milk Saku for whatever happiness she could give him and then leave her to get killed before he had to kill her himself. How could he be surprised? How could she be disappointed? Why was he?

When he got to the Shoe Tree, he scanned the area with his flashlight. Ace searched the branches for a worthwhile prize and he found it—a pair of dusty black canvas and rubber soled old school basketball shoes. They looked like they had seen better days…they would have to do.

The other gun he had gotten from Ivy’s bag: the Kel-Tec P-32, was in his waistband. It was smaller and more compact that the four-five and not as cumbersome as the BR-18. Ace dropped his bag on the floor and carefully removed the big dusty pair of sneakers nailed to the base. The canvas felt stiffened by dirt and the sun when he put them on—but it felt better to have shoes. Anything was plenty. He took a seat at the base of the tree. Shirtless, bandages around his chest and bandages around his forehead, gun in his waist and dirty shoes on. His green eyes stared at his feet, the black and dusty shoes. He thought about his white on white adidas and how he cleaned them everyday when he was back home.

“What a waste of time that was, huh?"

He didn’t need to talk to himself to tell you he was bad at conversation.
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Lookin' for the opps, they been hidin'
I grew up 'round drugs, sex, and violence
We turnt off they street, we heard sirens
Since a juvenile, I been wylin'
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

The child felt her foot make contact with the grass, but there had been too much force. So much force that she felt it get away from her and her foot lost purchase. Her world flipped with her and she tumbled onto her back, landing flat and staring at the sky. She grumbled and slammed against the earth that had caught her with her fist.

"You'll get it. You just have to try your best," came the voice the cheer coach, whose face came into view near the sun.

"But what if...my best..."

Lori struggled to regain the wind that had been knocked out of her.

"..isn't good enough?"

((Lori Martin continued ))

Lori wandered in the direction of the shoe tree more out of a sort of an odd sense of sightseeing than anything else. She looked at the map and saw "shoe tree." Naturally she thought, "What the fuck is a shoe tree? If I'm gonna die, I probably want to see whatever a shoe tree is before then."

She walked along with a flashlight in one hand and a gun in the other. It wasn't completely dark yet, but it was getting there.

Was she going to die, though? She thought as she walked about recent events. All the cheerleaders were dead but her. That made her the cheer captain by default. Lori sadly shook her head and thought that it shouldn't have had to come to this for her to get her rightful position. Everyone she hated was dead but a few people she liked were dead too, so the satisfaction on that end was slight.

She was doing well, all things considered. No injuries. Lots of food and weapons. Owl suit (for tactical purposes). Lori had two kills to her name now, but no one liked Paloma enough to come for her. And frankly, there were bigger fish to fry than cheerleader Lori. She could just coast on by to the end. When she thought about it, things were coming up Lori.

Yeah. I knew it. No one else did, but I'm killing it out here. Hahaha. Killing. Maybe I am good at something? Everyone thought I was a penny stock, but now I'm blue chip! Maybe I'm gonna make it --

Lori noticed she was in front of the shoe tree now. It was a tree made of shoes.

"Well, not sure what I expected," she said out loud. There was a figure moving by it. She shined her beam on the shape and found it was familiar.

"Ace?"
Buko

Post by Buko »

“That’s what they call me, yeah.”

The answer came out before he could stop himself and it sounded much harsher than he intended it. Ace only had so much energy for courtesies and politeness, wasn’t that obvious? A murderer and a coward—those weren’t traits that lead you to winning Miss Congeniality.

Speaking of which, here was the reigning champ.

“Long time no see Lori.”

He stayed seated at the base of the tree. Flashlight shining in his face and his attention focused squarely on the gun in her hand. His hand found his waistband, gripping the pistol and hoping not to go out like Cheddar Bob in 8-Mile. It had been a long time when it came to Lori. Ace had spent that first night with her, Ivy, Declyn, and Amelia. He had been drugged that night and the workin’ hypothesis was that it had been Lori who had done it. The island didn't lend itself much to investigation and so that remained an unsolved mystery. He didn't know for a fact that she was the one who drugged him and Ivy and Amelia--he just knew it was true.

That had been so long ago though. He had thought about being on drugs and with Ivy a lot in the following days and even now those memories still echoed in his heart. He hadn’t given as much thought to Lori who had drugged him in the first place. It was strange. He remembered being very angry and confused about the Lori situation at the time…but now? It just seemed to be something that happened. It wasn’t even in the top five of shit that had gone down—and that was just counting the shit that had happened to Ace. Ivy was dead and so was Declyn and who knew what the space cadet Amelia was doing? He had seen Lori ten days ago, it might as well have been ten years. It was hard to be as mad about the past as he once had been. His hand still was on his waist, his eyes squinted in the light. He didn't really feel that chill, he wasn't looking to chill that much with Lori. Walkin' up on someone and shining a flashlight and flashing a gun in their face tended to do that. Keep cool, keep calm, keep collected. Mantra's and meditations, you know the vibes.

“We good?”
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Lori clicked the flash light off when Ace winced. She stood for a moment and let her eyes adjust.

"Yeah," she said finally. "We're good."

She was overcome by a sense of breezy nostalgia suddenly.

"Hmm."

Lori went and sat by Ace under the shoe tree. She pulled out a bottle of water and set it in front of them a little ways. Put her gun down and turned the flashlight back on. She set it as close as she could to the full water bottle, which had the effect of illuminating it and its contents. It created a little glowing lantern.

She sat with her knees pulled up to her chest and her gun on the ground to her right -- away from Ace.

"I guess it's just you and Connor for football," she said looking out at the trees.
Buko

Post by Buko »

Lori—was interesting, sure.

Cheerleaders were usually nice to football players because, well, if they weren’t they probably were kicked off the team or something. Lori had never bought into any and all that bullshit—but she had been nice enough to Ace, hadn’t she? Back at home he meant, before the island and the drugging incident. From what he remembered, she was usually passionate and sometimes very loud. Sometimes it was annoying. Whenever he found himself stuck adjacent to a conversation that involved Lori…he found himself reaching for his headphones.

That was pretty cruel, wasn’t it? Lori was annoying, sure, but she was a person. Ace hadn’t really thought much about the people he had gone to school with. He went to school, he went to practice—he went home. Ace was too busy trying to get to know himself to truly get to know anyone else.

“Yeah,” he responded to her question looking at the glowing water bottle lantern with a curiosity, “I mean…Beau and Brockman didn’t come to DC, so they’re still ‘round…and like…all the underclassmen and stuff.”

Football had ruled his entire life—Lori couldn’t’ve been much different with cheerleading, right? Football players and cheerleaders went together like peanut butter and jelly. In the beginning of his football career, whenever he would score a touchdown or make a big play—he’d look towards the cheering section and feed off their enthusiasm. Lori was never the prettiest cheerleader—but she was dedicated to doing it. She’d probably seen every game Ace had ever played in high school, with front row tickets. There was a second when he wondered if she was feeding off his enthusiasm as much as he had been feeding off theirs.

Beats wondered, when reflecting on the image of Lori in his head, what image he had in hers. Then he thought about the other people he had crossed paths with—both in life and on this island. How different was the Ace of their mind from the Ace of his own? Which one mattered more? Which one was realer?

“Guess with Madison,” he wasn’t thinkin’ bout Madison, “And Ivy,” he struggled to find the words, “Like, y’know,” he couldn’t really say it, “I mean,” fuck, c’mon! You can do it, “I guess it’s just you now?”
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Lucky them!" she said with her tone going up in artificial sweetness at the news of the homebound footballers.

She took out one of the flavorless bars. Without offering Ace anything, she began to eat her dinner.

"There's a cheerleader at home too, but essentially," she responded. "Cheer captain!" she said, pointing at herself with her thumb. A half smile hung on her face before she returned to her meal.

"You don't look so bad, taking everything into account."
Buko

Post by Buko »

“Look at you,” he said in a fake African accent, “You’re the captain now?”

He couldn’t help it, he laughed and he laughed hard. It was funny, okay? Ten days into Survival of the Fittest and Lori was here celebrating that she was the cheer captain? As if cheer or the captaincy mattered anymore? Lori was a joke. Ten days out here hadn’t changed that.

“This the only way you would prolly ever get to be captain, huh?”, he said in between snickers, “I think Ivy would come back from the dead if she heard you say that shit,” it was ridiculous, “Started from the bottom of the pyramid and now you here.”

Ace sighed. He got a bit serious—this was a little cruel, he knew that. Lori seemed to have achieved a level of happiness with the deaths of her teammates. She felt validated. The last of the Cheer-hicans. His throat tightened, he opened his duffel bag and pulled out a thing of water and a ration bar. He opened it and took a hearty sip and placed it down next to him. In between him and Lori.

“I was with her, y’know? When, like,” still struggling to find the words, “Shit went down.”

He shook his head and sighed to himself.

“Musta been hard for you, yeah?”, he said with no degree of pretense, “There was a lot of talent on that cheer team,” Ace couldn’t tell you the difference between talented and untalented cheerleaders--he hadn't been judging on talent, “Musta been tough to compete with them.”

He closed his eyes. He thought about those school days. Those big plays and hearing the cheerleaders scream. BE AGGRESSIVE! GO TEAM! GO OWLS GO! HOOT HOOT! It was silly. He savored the nostalgia and wallowed in it for a moment.

"I never thought I deserved to be the captain, I always knew that Connor was the best--better than me at least," he thought for a moment, "Guess you knew it too huh? Try as hard as you can--Ivy was just a better cheerleader than you. Nuthin' we can do," he chuckled again, "It's crazy, like, how much that shit mattered at the time," he swallowed, "And how little it does now."

He let that rest for a moment. He took a bite of his ration bar and spoke with his mouth full.

"You look pretty much the same," he spoke with some distance in his tone, "Taking everything into account."
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Lori scowled in the dark.

"I was better than Ivy."

And it did matter. Not really literally, but symbolically. She obviously couldn't call everyone to practice and tell them what they were going to do, but it was proof that she was better. She knew just enough not to blurt out something like "It matters to me!!"

Lori took another bite of her bar and rifled around her bag quietly until she found what she was looking for by touch.

"What went down?" she asked. Her fingers curled around the cap of a bottle and unscrewed it in the dark. A few tabs fell out and she quickly gave the top a half-twist clockwise. She picked up her water and drank from it.

Would she really do this? The stars were starting to become more prominent in the sky. It was petty, but his words sat in her heart and slowly spread like icy poison from her chest to her limbs. Dismissive. She took a sip. It's not like she was going to kill him. She'd just teach him something about thinking he could treat her like he did back in school -- that anyone could. A few missing items should do the trick. No one would ever dismiss her again.

Lori slipped the tabs into the water as she lowered it from her mouth. She moved a bit and knocked over the bottle she'd set up as the rudimentary lantern with her foot.

"Whoopsie daisy!"

Lori quickly put her water down between her and Ace, closer to him, so that their pair water bottle sat next to each other. She scrambled forward and set the bottle back up right in front of the flashlight.
Buko

Post by Buko »

Lori—wasn’t that slick.

Or maybe, Ace just wasn’t one for games. Shit, he was probably giving himself too much credit there--he wasn’t some super strategic tactical genius. He prolly had early onset CTE before he had gotten whacked with the tire iron. He just narrowly avoided getting blown up while he was trying to get blown at the lake. Forethought? Looking before he leapt? Those weren’t any of the tenets that Ace subscribed to.

Mantras and meditations though, right? Fake it till you make it. Mind over matter. Clichés and contrivances. Which was the one coming to mind now? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, can’t put the blame on you. Rap lyric for everything. Lori had fucked with his water before…was she above fucking with it again? Something was fishy here and he didn't trust anybody who used 'whoopsie daisy' casually. Least of all Lori. He felt paranoid and insecure…but was it paranoia and insecurity if it came from a real place? He didn't know for a fact that she was the one who drugged him and Ivy and Amelia--he just knew it was true. Maybe there was nothing fishy about what had just happened at all and it was all in his head. Maybe the moon was made of cheese, whatever. Something was afoot and Beats knew it. There was a pang of guilt and doubt in his mind. An impulsive voice silenced it with the desire to do something incredibly reckless.

Ace—didn’t think he was that slick.

“You hear that...? Shit! Who's out there?!," Beats pointed out into the darkness towards the brush with a panic and urgency in his voice, "What’s that noise?!”

He just thought he was slicker than Lori.
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Huh?"

Lori looked around. There was a little bit of rustling, but it stopped soon. She probably just put him on edge when she knocked over her water like that. Just in case, she pulled her gun nearer, kept it in her hand as she took her next bite.

"Hm. I think it was just an animal or something."

Lori scanned the bushes carefully.
Buko

Post by Buko »

She made her move—and then Ace made his.

He did it quickly and without moving much. It wasn’t like, some complicated genius plan—it was impulse. Done outta insecurity and paranoia. The plan had with it the same amount of depth.

Beats switched the water bottles: his with Lori’s and Lori’s with his.

“Guess it was nothing.”

He grabbed the water bottle next to him. The one he had switched over. He opened it up and brought it to his mouth and took a long and deep sip.

“Sorry Lori,” he said honestly, “My mind’s all over the place, I’m on like a hair trigger out here. I’m always sayin’ and doin’ the wrong thing. It’s like if there’s a fork in the road between the fucked up and the right—I always choose the fucked up.”

Another sip. The water leaked out the sides of his mouth and he felt the coolness drip down his chin. He wiped his lips with the back of the palm.

“That’s pretty much the core of what went down with Ivy and Myles,” he shook his head and looked towards his dirty new-old shoes, "See what had happened was..."
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Lori relaxed slightly and took a sip from her water. She listened intently and looked up at the night sky.

"It's ok. I feel like that sometimes too," she said. She felt a little bad suddenly about drugging his water. However, it's not like it would kill him, she reasoned. And she immediately began feeling less and less remorseful as he launched in his very detailed account of what happened with Myles and Ivy. Who gave a shit about them? This guy, clearly. She sighed, glad that it was probably too dark for him to be able to fully read her look of boredom mixed with contempt for the subject of the tale.

"Uh huh."

Sip.

"That sounds terrible."

Sip.

"Garren, huh?"

Jesus, this is taking forever.

Suddenly her fingers began to tingle. Her hands felt light and strange. She let them rest on the ground, allowing her empty bottle of water to roll off into the dark.
Buko

Post by Buko »

“And like, I think the real fucked up thing, like when I really think about it and shit,” he was a motor-mouth, a blabber mouth, “I didn’t even wanna stay with them. I just thought I did. I was just pissed at fuckin’ Myles. And like, me bein’ on my bullshit,” he shook his head, “Caused so much fuckin’ bullshit. Cost people their fuckin’ lives.”

It was a long story and Ace had gotten good at retelling it. Beats had replayed that morning in his mind hundreds of times. He was just doing his best. His best to make sense of things, his best to make the best of himself—his best to live. But what if his best wasn’t good enough? What if his best, actually was pretty damn bad.

“Anywell,” his tone shifted quickly, “Like a wise girl once said: I killed someone and I’ve gotta carry that,” he nodded to himself, “I made a mistake but I can’t let it destroy me. I can’t let their deaths be meaningless.”

Ace hadn’t really understood what she meant by that. He still didn’t. She was dead too--and did it mean anything?

“You were thirsty or somethin'?”, he took a sip from his water bottle, “Finished that whole damn thing.”
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Lori blinked and looked at the dirt on the ground. Up above them there were twinkling stars in the sky.

The stars began to get brighter. Then dimmer. Then brighter. They started to flash faster. She felt herself get up and start to walk towards the flashing, which was now in a rhythm. The dirt started to get harder.

Her heel went down and the floor was slick. The air smelled of grease and plastic and children: sickly sweet.

Lori looked down at her hands and they were small. Her eyes traveled down to her feet and they were small too. She turned her head just in time to see a few children her height run past.

“I…,” she said, sounding like she was underwater.

In her hands she had a piece of paper.

A
A
B
B
A

Lori’s breathing was quick. More kids streamed past her, one hitting her in the shoulder.

“Watch it!” she warbled.

The lights flashed brightly in different colors in time to the music floating above her.

PUSH YOUR LUCK

PUSH YOUR LUCK

PUSH YOUR LUCK

A nearby game flashed the colorful words. Someone who towered above her approached. It looked like an animal mascot, except the head was that of a realistic-looking rat wearing a baseball hat backwards. The rat head uncoiled its extra-long neck to reach down to her level.

𝙻𝙴𝚃 𝙼𝙴 𝚂𝙴𝙴 𝚃𝙷𝙰𝚃.”

The human hand covered in gray fur took the paper from her.

𝚆𝙷𝙰𝚃 𝙶𝙾𝙾𝙳 𝙶𝚁𝙰𝙳𝙴𝚂...”

A shower of gold tokens fell from its hand.

Lori smiled brightly and hugged the tokens close.

“Thank you, Charles Entertainment Cheese!” she enthused wavily. She felt herself melt a little.

The creature retreated to behind a nearby spinning carousel.

Lori took her shoes off and put them into a shoe cubby. She took out a small lock and put it on the cubby.

“Why a lock?” the lock asked with its dial mouth.

“I don’t want someone to take my shoes again,” she replied fearfully. “I just want to have fun.”

What to do first?

PUSH YOUR LUCK

PUSH YOUR LUCK

PUSH YOUR LUCK

Lori walked up to a skeeball machine and saw some tokens abandoned along with a donut. She picked up a token, looked at it, then put it back down. She took a bite out of the donut. A Tracee Bluebell cover was playing, and Lori wrinkled her nose.

“When we meet, put your arms around me. Tell me all those things you haven’t told me.”

“I wish I could make you less lonely or build a pyramid to die in.”

Lori climbed the winding stairs to the top of the slide that dispensed people harmlessly into the ball pit below.

“Hey!”

Lori turned at the sound and was immediately shoved back by a little girl with pink hair.

“You stole those!”

Child Ivy pointed to the tokens Lori was clutching.

“No. No, I – I earned them –”

“You stole them, I saw you! You’re too dumb to earn them,” she jeered. Behind her, Myles in overalls snickered.

“I didn’t! I was just looking, I didn’t steal those!” Lori could feel the eyes around her and the lights both pulsing menacingly.

"Gee, how desperate," Ivy said, joining Myles in giggling together.

“Shut up, you witch!” Lori yelled and shoved Ivy back. The color drained from the girl’s face as she pitched back, tried to keep balance, and then lost the fight, tipping off the edge of the structure.

Lori leaned over and saw Hel’s body instead. They breathed, tried to move, and their neck cracked sickeningly. Blood was pouring all over the balls of the ball pit, turning them a uniform red.

Murderer. Murderer. Murderer.

Suddenly she felt like she was spinning around and around and around on the carousel. She tried to hug a plastic owl on the carousel to stop from being flung off. She couldn’t get off or stop spinning.

Murderer Murderer Murderer.

Lori lifted her head from its lowered position where she was sitting near Ace. She let out a blood-curdling scream and threw her whole body at the boy.

“I’m not a murderer!” she said through her tears. Her hands weren’t strong enough. Lori pushed off of him, swung around, and squeezed his neck between her thighs.
Buko

Post by Buko »

“You hear me Lori?”

Nothing, head still down, muttering to herself.

“Yooooooooo---earth to Lori?”

Shit. She looked really fuckin’ lost. A couple cards short of a full deck. Had his instincts been right? Had he been correct to switch his water with hers? That didn’t seem like it could possibly be the truth. Fuck was he gonna have to deal with Lori on acid on murder island? Ace had ran away from less overt threats to his sanity.

“Lori, you okay?”

A blood curdling scream came out her mouth and Lori Martin came at him like a bat outta hell.

“WHATTHEFU-mmmmphhhh!!!!!!””

She was surprisingly agile and deceptively strong.

She pinned him down and squeezed hard. Ace attempted to writhe and gasp under the weight of her but he couldn’t. He twisted and turned but she seemed to be like stone and her thighs were wrapped around his neck like a python. He felt his skin tighten and his eyes bulge and the world turn white. He reached for his waistband, the pistol--he couldn’t find the gun and when he found the gun he couldn't find the trigger. His fingers felt numb. He was coughing and sputtering. He needed to do something! He was gonna die! He felt a panic go down his spine and the fire in his stomach get overwhelmed by a chill in his heart. His vision went cloudy and it began to turn into nothing but a blinding white light.

When he lost his vision, he gained his sense. With all his remaining strength he cracked Lori in the mouth with the pistol. A Hail Mary with all the grace of Ace Beats.
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'

Return to “The Shoe Tree”