Strategic Realism

Private.

The east side of the community housing shows the wear of abandonment. The wilderness has started to reclaim the land the village was built on, meaning that many of the houses furthest from the center have become overgrown with vines and plants. The frequency of tropical storms has had a more noticeable impact on this side of the village as well. Some of the houses have been hit with debris from uprooted trees, while others have been torn asunder by a combination of debris, rain and wind. This has left a scattering of large wooden boards painted various colors across the entire area.

Thread limit: 2
Frozen Smoke

Strategic Realism

Post by Frozen Smoke »

((Parker_Green - Day 2 - 09:35 Local Time - Entering from Forgone Conclusions))

By the time he'd finished shaving down the handle of the club that was now sticking out of the top of his duffel bag, it had been beginning to get dark, and he'd decided to settle down for the night. The flashlight would have allowed him to work in the dark, but if there was one thing that was going to draw people to where you were sleeping, it would be a beam of artificial light illuminating the canopy. So he hadn't taken the chance and made a simple lean to, hoping that if anyone walked past it in the dark, it'd blend into the surroundings.

Considering he'd awoken alive, and with his equipment intact, it seemed to have worked.

The only thing that had stopped him after he had packed his things up and began moving was the announcement. He'd wished he had something to note this sort of thing down on, but he'd been unable to find that sort of thing, and wasn't even able to make a note to look for it. Still, he tried his best to commit the names to memory. Paloma, Tirzah, Tyrell, Nick, Tyrell again, Katrina, Quinn, Blaise, Justin. Some were surprising, but most he didn't have faces to attach to names. He repeated the list out loud a few times, making sure it stuck, before beginning to walk again.

He stumbled upon a path as he headed east. He was trying to make his way to the Bay. Anyone with the idea to try and escape would head that way, the Capsized Yacht was too tempting, even if it was surely a red herring to someone who could think more than one level ahead. He continued to follow the path as it pulled south though, it was easier than trekking through the thick grass, and losing your bearings amongst the trees.

This place looked almost civilised, with an emphasis on the almost, given that they were constructed with wooden planks. He couldn't help but gaze into them lazily, most of them not requiring much to do so, having been torn apart by the wrath of nature. There didn't seem to be much in the way of belongings, even in the ones that were somewhat intact, just the barest scrapings of furniture. Still as ever, almost like a painting, a snapshot of how things once lay coated in gloom.

Parker's movement came to a sudden halt.

One of the paintings was moving.

It was a building with a gash in the side that opened one of the windows wide, the top parts of the planks sheared away, letting the light pierce into the building. He could see a man, sitting there, looking down and away from him as he tried to put his shoes on. His arms had a few thin white lines running across them that he recognised as scars, joined by a bandage that looked fresh on one arm, likely something that would join the rest of those scars.

He knew who that was. Not personally, of course - But Tyrell sure as hell didn't blend into a crowd.
[+] V7
Relationship Thread!

ImageFaith Clementine Marshal-Mackenzie
[+] Pregame
Memories: Making old enemies
Present Day: Making new friends - Playing childish games - Acting like an adult
Oneshots: Tidying up - Coming home
ImageParker Green
[+] Pregame
Memories: Cheaters never prosper - Except when they do - Keeping promises
Present Day: Getting informed - Playing nice - Keeping up appearances - Playing Games - Talking too much
Oneshots: Preparing for battle
Luca Thomas
[+] Pregame
Present Day: Being a team player
Prom: Trying her best
Memories:
Criticism or thoughts on my writing are welcome and appreciated - always looking to improve! Feel free to poke me on Discord or via PM.
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

((B09 – Day 2 Start.))

Ty had figured as tired as he was, he would’ve slept pretty soundly. Regardless, whatever sadistic clockwork mechanism ran his brain woke him up bright and early anyways on the tail end of a nightmare. The first sensation he was met with was the stifling, almost suffocating heat of the garden shed he’d taken shelter in.

After exiting and realizing that the air outside was only marginally less damp, he was met with a different sensation – the uncomfortable, slightly painful feeling of dried blood tugging at the hair on his arms as he moved. He didn’t have very hairy arms, but there was a lot of blood. After a short exploration on the periphery of the village, he’d settled into a broken house far from the one he’d attempted to take shelter in the night before.

Felix’s water and clothing worked well enough to clean off just about all of the blood from his face and torso, and the additional first-aid kit helped greatly in bandaging his wounds. With some difficulty, he managed to change out of his old clothes; every movement was an exercise in finding a new place he’d been battered and bruised the day before. The few hours of rest he’d received only seemed to give the pain time to ferment and develop new and exciting characteristics.

Ferment? What am I, a whiskey?

His mind wasn’t faring much better than his body was. The notion of cleaning off one person’s blood with the stolen belongings of another felt decidedly wrong; he’d caught himself paused and staring off into the memory of one sordid act or another several times already. Each time reminded himself to focus on the present, to pour himself into what was necessary. He needed to keep the worse injuries sterile and covered up. Having not packed for tropical heat, it was best to just tear the holes in the knees of his jeans and turn them into ad hoc jean shorts. That he had to look after his feet, because he’d done so much walking and keeping a reasonably dry pair of socks on was a necessity.

Three people died for what I’d deemed “necessary.”

He’d helped Dante, though. Let Demetri, Charelle, and Katrina live. Four alive, three dead.

“Let them live. As if that means anything. ‘Oh thanks so much Ty for only getting two of us killed! You’re such a pal, we’re so grateful.' Fuck, what the hell is wrong with me?”

It was what he’d told himself at the time to walk out of that house. It kept him on his own side long enough to get to safety.

The problem was, he’d said it enough times in his own head to not forget it. Seeing his failures illuminated in the light of a new day only made him hate himself more.

His thoughts turned to the gun sitting in his bag as he heard the crackle of the loudspeakers outside. Danya begin to announce the deaths of the previous day. Ty knew he heard her name, he figured he was just in the right state of mind to put it to his own head and pull the trigger.

I wonder what Claude would think of that, at this point? Doubt he’d be so eager to lecture me on the value of my life.

Ty found himself shaking his head as Danya announced his name, twice. Leaving out choice details as he figured the man would. He felt a pang of guilt as he realized that Katrina was now lumped into the same category as himself. She’d fucked up, but she didn’t deserve to be made a pariah. All she’d tried to do was what she thought was necessary, same as he’d done. It was readily apparent to him that the people who’d hunt down those who killed on the island would be making mental notes of each of their names right about now. Hopefully someone would set the record straight on Katrina’s actions.

“Nice. So he’s made everyone out to be a-“

”…Dante Luciano Valerio found out the hard way that taking a nap on the island is a bad idea as Blaise d’Aramitz blew his head wide open…”

“OH, COME ON! REALLY?!”

The one genuinely altruistic, decent thing Ty had tried to do that day and all it had resulted in was Dante getting put down by George Hunter High’s most deranged special snowflake, and her getting rewarded for it. Danya was even choosy in using a neutral pronoun for her.

Good for you, Danya. Glad to see this meat grinder is woke as fuck.

The speaker went quiet, and Ty turned the safety back on the pistol. No mention of Erika, so it wasn’t over yet.

If she’ll still have me at this point. I doubt anyone will after that announcement.

As the tension in his chest evaporated, he reminded himself that Lorenzo and Blaise would have to die too. He had more than one job to do before he could rest. They had both earned it, now.

He stretched out his legs, basking in the discovery that the lower half of his body didn’t hurt nearly as much as the rest of him did. Keeping his feet out of his boots felt pleasant, as did a pair of fresh socks and the bandages and ointment he’d applied to the blisters he’d acquired on the way. Still, he knew it couldn’t last and started slowly putting his boots back on.

It was already incredibly hot out, and it was only going to get worse as the day dragged on. With the addition of a danger zone, the village with its plentiful shelter would get crowded, fast. Left his bloody clothes and Felix’s in a heap in the corner and stuffing the rest of his supplies into his duffel bag. As he had just slipped his foot into his second boot, he turned to see a face staring at him from outside of the broken window.

Parker Green. I know the face. Not so much the person.

Ty waved at him, exhaustion still miring his every movement. Not quite sure what he really could say given what they’d both just heard, he tried his best to act naturally. The content of what he was saying was more or less just an excuse to not say what was actually on his mind.

Hey there. Can we just talk? I’m too tired for more violence, and I just finished cleaning off all of the blood.

Speaking as he did, he felt as if it might as well have still been all over him.

“Good mornin', Parker. Don’t suppose you have a smoke?”
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

Tyrell looked exhausted. There was a slackness to the expression on his face, a slowness to his speech, an imprecision to the wave as his hand moved from side to side. Maybe what he'd considered early really had been true, that Danya was just trying to break down the social contract between all of them, or maybe this was all an act from Tyrell. Either way, now that he'd been addressed, running away wasn't exactly a good idea. He had a gun, which meant he had the range advantage, so his best chance of getting out of this situation intact was to make sure he wasn't seen as a threat. Or an easy target.

"No, sorry." he replied to his request curtly.

He declined to note that he didn't smoke tobacco anyway, no need to prod him with unecessary information, as he leaned in through the window. He let the hand with his axe in it drape over the wall, the weight of it forcing his forearm down, the blade of it scraping against the wood for a few moments before finding an equilibrium. Showing Tyrell that he was armed, without brandishing it at him, or obliquely mentioning it.

Parker thought for a moment, unsure of exactly how to continue, wondering what Tyrell was hoping for from company. What would set him at ease, and paint him as a friendly force, as he intruded on his morning preparations. He didn't exactly look in the mood for humour, nor someone to compliment him, or even like he was desperate for sympathy. Tyrell was just trying to act normal, despite everything that had happened to him, despite the target that had been painted on his back by their captors.

"Rough day, huh?"
[+] V7
Relationship Thread!

[+] Pregame
ImageParker Green
[+] Pregame
Present Day: Getting informed - Playing nice - Keeping up appearances - Playing Games - Talking too much
Luca Thomas
[+] Pregame
Memories:
Criticism or thoughts on my writing are welcome and appreciated - always looking to improve! Feel free to poke me on Discord or via PM.
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

No accusations or hostility. Barely even a raised eyebrow from Parker. Just a blunt response, as if they’d ran into each other on the way out the door at school. It put Ty at relative ease, though that didn’t stop his mind from immediately assessing any potential risk to himself in this situation. His eyes locked onto the axe Parker was carrying.

It wasn’t comfortable to carry something like that all the time; the natural temptation was to find some way of keeping a tool like that at the ready, while still having two hands free. Ty had found a reasonably comfortable way to slip the crowbar through his belt, after a few hours of walking with it in hand had begun to wear on him.

Yet Parker kept it in hand, even as he leaned in through the window. That he even approached Ty said enough, but the axe said more. It was hard to say whether or not it was intentional; regardless, memories of the day before imposed a kind of grim sobriety on Tyrell. Given the disparities between them, there was no cost in backing down, at least a little bit.

He shook his head, offering a frank reply in a tone that wouldn’t have seemed out of place in referring to a house party gone awry.

“Yeah. I suppose it’s been pretty fucked up, actually.”

Ty reached down towards his duffel bag, pulling it up next to him and placing the pistol inside. In its place, he pulled out his last energy drink, the second of two tallboy-sized cans he’d packed with him on the bus trip. Setting the bag between his legs, he zipped it up tightly, sealing the pistol inside. The crowbar sat next to the bag, still within reach.

A heavy layer of condensation made the can shine in the early morning light. He motioned for Parker to join him. Conversation would be a welcome distraction from the waves of self-hatred threatening to wash over his thoughts.

“Wanna split this? You look like you could use the pick-me-up and I could use the company. If it helps, I’m not planning on leaving this island, you’re in no danger from me.”

I don’t have to kill you, and if I did, I wouldn’t need a gun to do it.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

There was a lot to chew on from that proposition. Least of all the question of where the hell he'd got the energy drinks from in the first place. The bag Tyrell was pulling out of them seemed decidedly different to the duffel bag slung over his shoulder, which felt decidedly unfair, given he hadn't even been allowed to keep his bag. If they'd let him bring with them extra resources, well, that just screamed favouritism.

Given how he'd performed so far, he doubted that favouritism had been misplaced, at least.

Still, Parker accepted the request silently with a nod, and walked inside the dim room where Tyrell was. He positioned himself close enough to be cordial, but distant enough that he had to extend his right arm to meet Tyrell's left hand in order to accept the offered can, his axe placed beside him on his left side. There was a moment of hesitation before he cracked it, looking at the seemingly intact seal for signs of tampering, before levering the thing open.

"Thanks." he murmured, before tilting it back, letting a few drops of it enter his mouth before extending his hand to pass it back. He wasn't going to drink something that Tyrell wasn't also drinking from. Who knew what he'd picked up from the two people he'd killed. There was a visible crowbar, and Parker knew he had a gun, but the third item was a mystery.

He thought for a few contemplative moments about how to respond. Tyrell's observation about not planning to leave the island was salient, but in all the wrong ways. It was, on some level, pretty stupid to aim at winning. Leaving here alive. In the back of his mind, he knew that, that there was a chance he'd die here. But planning with your death in mind was dumb, self-destructive, it led you down dead end paths. The only way you could find the right path was to work back from the outcome you wanted, and deal with the consequences later, no matter what they were.

Still. It wasn't like he was going to point that out to Tyrell. As much as he wasn't a threat right now, he would be, eventually. He'd already proven his ability to take people out, and if he wanted to start of a path that would lead to him taking himself out, rather than having to deal with him personally - That wasn't a problem he needed to solve.

"Yeah. Same." He agreed.
[+] V7
Relationship Thread!

[+] Pregame
ImageParker Green
[+] Pregame
Luca Thomas
[+] Pregame
Memories:
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Ty raised an eyebrow at Parker, accepting the can back and taking a drink.

“Really? I can’t say I expected that. I thought I’d be one of the only ones.”

In his experience, most people were only ever as altruistic as they were allowed to be. It wasn’t exactly an astute observation or one that made him feel very good, but it was particularly salient here. The terrorists relied on that simple fact, it was the premise that their game functioned on. As far as Ty had figured, the only people who’d have resigned to death as he had would be those who’d either given up entirely, or who had something to fight and die for.

It’s also possible that someone might not give a shit anymore, but they keep playing. Maybe somebody’s just gotten all existentialist about this shit and decided to embrace how absurd and wrong all of this is. A few names come to mind, but not his.

It wasn’t easy to tell which Parker might’ve been. The other boy appeared to keep things close to the chest. Though Ty couldn’t necessarily fault him in not striking up a rousing conversation with someone who’d killed two people, one of them with his teeth.

What would I even say to me, right now? Still trying to figure that out I guess.

Ty tried to index his mind for anything he could remember of Parker, and came up woefully short. English, kind of nerdy. Might’ve been into some kind of sports before from his build, but isn’t currently. Might’ve sold weed at some point, but not the high level stuff that Erika had access to. Barely crossed paths with any of Ty’s friends or acquaintances. Basically an enigma to him, there was nothing obvious.

People like him were always so interesting.

Ty opted to level with Parker, turning to look at him and offering the drink back. “Why though? I mean, I’ve got my reasons-”

Pausing, Ty considered for a moment whether or not they were worth uttering. A middle ground easily presented itself.

“-you can probably guess. Accepting I’m not going to survive this makes it easier to do what I have to. Unless you were actually hoping this conversation was some kind of death sentence, you don’t seem like the giving up type to me; so that makes me curious what your goal actually is, if it isn’t to live.”
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

Parker's expression shifted to the side as the answer came. He hadn't expected Tyrell to follow up, given that he was agreeing with his own thoughts, people didn't generally argue with people who agreed with them. He tilted his head back, trying his best to look if he was trying to fit together the right words to explain himself, rather than piecing together a full story itself. Something that would mirror the reason he seemed so eager to obscure, given that Tyrell knew he didn't know him very well. It wasn't even clear what Tyrell thought he knew that made his comments suspicious.

"You know, just laying my cards on the table - It's the reason I'm talking to you in the first place." he started, reaching out to take the offered drink, and taking a bigger gulp of it this time. It was only setting himself up for the inevitable caffeine headache a few days from now to be worse, but he could use the energy right now.

"I know that, in order to get off here, I'm gonna have to do what you did." a simple statement of fact, as he tried to continue the line of tenuous logic.

"There's too many people out there-" he gestured with his hand towards the window "-Who denied reality when they were in it. Doubt that's gonna change now."

He paused for a moment, trying to think of how to continue it, to turn it back onto what Tyrell had done. Why he'd done it. Why everyone else wouldn't understand. Why that was a problem. Why Tyrell didn't think he was getting out.

"Too many people out there think they're the hero of this story." he finished, leaving the conclusion vague, and offered the can back to it's owner. It wasn't total bullshit though. He'd seen it already. Just one day and people were worried about their family, barging into places and expecting not to get lit the fuck up, just stupid shit. People who thought they were in the right, and everyone else was in the wrong, and it was only going to be a matter of time before that reached it's logical conclusion.

There'd be people coming for Tyrell, it was only a matter of time, and he had to know it.
[+] V7
Relationship Thread!

[+] Pregame
ImageParker Green
[+] Pregame
Luca Thomas
[+] Pregame
Memories:
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Ty laughed. Parker had come out swinging, with his assessment of the others on the island. It was hard to disagree. This was a pretty terrible reality, all things considered. If he’d been a weaker person he might’ve succumbed to a similar desire not to accept it.

Didn’t I, though?

The smile fell from Ty’s face quickly, as he thought back to the motivations of those he’d encountered the previous day. He took the can back, noticing that it was almost empty.

“Protagonist syndrome. Yeah, you're right. Everyone assumes it’s going to be them who makes it because that’s easier to digest than the alternative. Of course, nobody figured it was going to be us who ended up here in the first place, and those were even worse odds.”

Ty motioned to the faint bruise that encircled his neck, just above the bomb collar.

“I didn’t have any illusions about it, y'know. I was going to go out on my own terms. 'Course, someone stopped me. Claude still seems to think we have the luxury of being good people in this place. That gave me enough time to reconsider what my priorities were. I figure he’s gotta be kicking himself right about now.”

A chuckle escaped his lips, followed by look of genuine sadness that briefly flashed across his face. He finished the energy drink, crumpling up the can after he did so. Ty hung his head, his focus on the twisted metal in his hands. There was only so much he could crush it.

"Dying for no reason was stupid, but I'm okay with dying for a good one. Killing was never the point. I didn't enjoy what I did. I’m not some kind of homicidal maniac. I just understand the reality of the situation we're in; if someone gets in my way, either they die or I do. It's that simple."

Ty's eyes darted around the room, as he held the crumpled can in front of him. There must've been a wastebasket somewhere.

"Thing is, you're right. People aren't just going to stop denying reality. They might even have more of a reason to, now. Every protagonist needs an antagonist, right?"

After a few seconds of looking, Ty realized what he was doing. He looked at Parker and offered a half-smile, as if to recognize his error. Without any more hesitation, he chucked the crumpled can into the corner with Felix’s clothes.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

A small smile of recognition passed Parker's lips as he listened. Tyrell had a lot to say, it seemed like he'd been holding on to a lot, and he had the markings to prove it. He wasn't too surprised that Claude, as ever, was up in people's shit. The fact that Tyrell couldn't keep eye contact as he amused himself with pondering on just how crestfallen he'd have been a few minutes ago, that was surprising, and it carried on. He tried to justify himself, explain that it was do-or-die, and he wasn't going to argue with that. But his protests told Parker a lot about what he was afraid of, that he didn't want to be seen as a crazy killer, that everything he'd done had been rational.

Then it all turned around back to the metaphor again. Tyrell identified that he'd be the villain to people now. That people would see him as a monster to slay, instead of another person stuck here, just like he'd thought over himself. As if to punctuate that point, the can that had shifted between his hands as he'd spoke landed in a pile of clothes in the corner, the dark brown of dried blood cloying the fabric.

"Yeah. I feel that." he began, his voice slow and dull as his mind scoured Tyrell's words for something to catch on to. "I don't blame you for whatever you did, if that ain't obvious. And I don't think whoever gets off of here will either." he said, voice still slow but more certain as he looked away from him, and into the window that poured meagre light into the shack.

His voice changed after a short pause gaining a little more energy as his tone darkened, sounding bitter as he continued to stare away from him. "Here's where I'd lay out my ingenious plan, if I had one, you know. But, really, I'm just trying to see tomorrow. Just like you. Taking care of what gets in my way." Parker added, trying to broach common ground, before turning his head back towards him. Waiting to see if a response would come.

The moment of silence filled him with dread, as he wondered if he'd judged Tyrell's temperament right.
[+] V7
Relationship Thread!

[+] Pregame
ImageParker Green
[+] Pregame
Luca Thomas
[+] Pregame
Memories:
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

There were parts of Tyrell's mind that never seemed to rest.

You're awfully agreeable, aren't you?

He stared straight ahead, mulling Parker's words over in his mind. Perfectly adapted to the situation, and bereft of motivation that seemed to be his own. Ty rested his hand on his jaw, twisting his neck to one side, then to the other. A satisfying set of cracks accompanied the gesture, and he felt a small amount of relief. There wasn't necessarily much he could glean from what the other boy was saying, perhaps intentionally, but that didn't mean there was nothing there.

"No plan? That thing sticking out of your bag seems to say otherwise."

People didn't just throw themselves into danger for no reason. Most people weren't like Ty, moments of conflict didn't provide them with a sense of familiarity or clarity of purpose. They'd go out of their way to avoid conflict, lying and violating their own natures to do so. He'd always figured he was better for tackling things head-on, because it meant acting in a way that wasn't motivated by fear or dishonesty.

The pain he felt across his body seemed like a manifestation of self-doubt on that point, but he ignored it in favor of figuring out the latest puzzle before him. Namely, why Parker seemed to be taking this all in stride. What it was, if not long-term survival, had possessed him to fashion a second weapon. Most importantly, how Parker found it so easy to talk to Ty despite the fact that Ty had a hard time facing himself.

"Sitting here and talking like this wasn't the smart or cautious thing to do; it was the nice thing to do - and I appreciate it for what it's worth. I can't just take that at face value. Not here. You're pretty calm after just hearing that I killed two people, one of them-"

For a moment, his gaze drifted away from Parker. The words eluded him, as he opened and closed his mouth a few times, trying to find a reasonable way to describe what he'd done. He couldn't.

"Just think about Erika, right? Who would she want you to be?"

"-well, Danya didn't lie about how Chris died. That's enough of a reason on its own for most people to stay away. You're here, though. At my size, with what I know, there are only a few people here who could probably take me on. You're not one of them. Doesn't seem to faze you. "

Definitely Wyatt. Bret or Ace, if they were lucky. Connor, if he played it smart. Katie knows how I move well enough to have a chance. Not that she'd ever want to try.

"If I knew what I was looking at, I might admire it. You say you're just like me, and I'm wondering what exactly you mean."
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

Parker's heart began to beat uncomfortably fast as he tried his best not to look surprised. Normally, when something like this happened, it was through text - or at worst a voice call. Not face to face with a guy who could, had, and most probably would beat him to death if he made the wrong move. Most people were far, far too polite to call people out on being, of all things, nice. But now he was trapped, a prisoner of his own machinations as he tried to find a way to turn his placation into honesty, a way to make it all work. To make sense to Tyrell's own personal brand of logic, which seemed ephemeral at best, given how desperate he was for conversation only to spin that into being a suspicious trait.

It wasn't like there was much he could pick at there. It wasn't like he had the time to think about it either. There was an intensity to the gaze that had drifted away from him. He raised his hands up, halfway, exposing his palms to Tyrell in mock surrender.

"You got me." he began, holding eye contact with him for a moment. "I want to live. As long as I can, at least."

There was a pause, as he searched Tyrell's body language for any signs, trying not to look at the door he'd came through or the window. Part of him desperately wanted to figure out if he could run, if he could just get out of that hole in the wall, to figure out a physical way out of this. But what Tyrell had said was true, Parker knew his best chance here wasn't to make this physical, it was to keep this right where it was. The two of them talking.

"That's why I didn't bolt the second I saw you. Got no desire to go out with three bullet holes in my back." he said, his voice dry, as he shared his assesment with the situation. It'd cut into his desire to show he wasn't a homicidal maniac. Unless that was bullshit. His mouth felt dry as he continued. "What about you though? What's your angle?"

He paused, trying to swallow the dryness out of his mouth. It wasn't like he had time to go into his bag for a bottle of water, let alone what Tyrell might perceive that action as.

"I doubt you just called me over here just for 'company'"
[+] V7
Relationship Thread!

[+] Pregame
ImageParker Green
[+] Pregame
Luca Thomas
[+] Pregame
Memories:
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Ty continued staring ahead as Parker explained himself. He understood what he had to do survive, and made choices to that end. From his perspective, talking to Ty offered a better chance than running.

You don’t turn your back on a predator. That makes them give chase. That’s what he saw me as.

As the questions came, Ty turned back towards Parker. The action seemed to rouse a slight twitch in the other boy, the only real hint of any kind of fear he’d seen from Parker so far. It was a physical sign that confirmed at the very least that Parker had found him a threat to begin with.

Of course he did. What did I expect?

Ty noticeably seemed to sink into himself as Parker inquired about his true motives.

This is why they died. I can’t shut it off. What’s wrong with me?

Ty couldn’t at all fault him for doing so.

“No, I guess not entirely. Part of me wanted to see if you’d give me the benefit of the doubt. See me as a person, not just a predator. I wish I could’ve just accepted that you did. Problem is, I just can’t ignore the part of my brain that just sees everything as a conflict. Like a zero-sum game, if you know what that is. That’s why I killed them. I saw a threat, I panicked, and then I had to win. Nothing’s felt right since then; I guess I just wanted to prove to myself I didn’t have to think that way all the time.”

The look on his face made it clear that Ty felt he had failed to do so. It was difficult to get the words out, but he felt he owed Parker at least a semblance of an explanation at this point.

“You said whoever gets off of here won’t blame me for what I did. All I want is to keep Erika safe, and to get her out of here if I can.”

A glassy sheen developed over Ty’s eyes as he spoke to Parker, the silence after he spoke pleading for some kind of answer.

“And I just killed her friend. I don’t know if I can convince her not to blame me for it. I don't know what to do if I can't.”
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

There was an irony to it all, he supposed, as Tyrell shattered the illusion he'd wanted to create for himself. He continued to justify himself, even though he knew it was futile, like a child desperately trying to believe Santa was still real after asking his parents. What he lamented was old though. Everyone looked out for themselves, that was how things worked, and life was zero-sum. Everything you got meant that someone else couldn't have it, that was just the nature of scarcity, and scarcity was the nature of reality.

He wasn't really in a place to question it, and tried his best to wipe the look of puzzlement off his face as Tyrell continued, now refocusing on what his own aim was here. He was looking for Erika, whoever that was, though judging by how he spoke of her it sounded like they had a relationship. There was an emotion to his voice, the first one to appear other than annoyance, although he couldn't place it as well. It took Parker a moment to realise he wanted an answer, reassurance, just like before. His mouth skewed to the side a little, as he tried to figure out how to respond to that, given how he'd reacted to his earlier attempts. Walking into the exact same trap seemed like a poor move.

"I'm not going to offer you any empty platitudes, Tyrell, because I don't know her. You do." he answered pointedly as he mulled on that last part.

He really did have no idea how she would respond. Or how Tyrell should respond. Going to try and just calmly reason with someone with the blood of their friends on your hands was a dumb idea, full stop. But if Tyrell couldn't see that, then it wasn't his job to dissuade him.

"And, to be honest mate, I don't know you either. You'll figure it out, or you won't, I can't help you there. But I mean, if I run into Erika, I can pass on a message from you if you want."
[+] V7
Relationship Thread!

[+] Pregame
ImageParker Green
[+] Pregame
Luca Thomas
[+] Pregame
Memories:
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Parker offered nothing in the way of sympathy, just the truth. He couldn’t, and indeed no one else could have, suggested a path forward for Ty. Not only because he didn’t know either Erika or Ty, but because he likely recognized the situation was so extraordinary that it would’ve been hard to take seriously anything anyone on the outside might’ve been able to tell him.

He knows enough to know I wouldn’t have really accepted that, either. Good.

Spelling it out helped Ty understand what it was he needed, and he realized he appreciated the honesty more than he might’ve any words of comfort or understanding. In offering nothing, Parker had given Ty more than he realized.

When, or if he found her, he’d own what he’d done. Take whatever responsibility for it he had to. Then they would move on, whatever that meant. There were other ways he could help Erika than protecting her outright, if that was what it came to.

Hopefully it doesn’t.

Ty replied, nodding after a moment spent contemplating what Parker had said.

“No, it's okay. You’re right. I'm the only one who can explain myself to her. Thanks for being honest about that. A lesser person would've just said what they thought I wanted to hear."

At least you admitted to it.

After holding a stare on that last point, he reached into his pocket and produced his map. Information was all he had to give, and someone like Parker probably could make use of it. Having already declared his intention to try and survive as long as possible, the underlying implication there was quite clear to Ty. He watched for any sign of reticence on Parker’s part, but he was largely unreadable.

"I covered a lot of ground yesterday. This chunk of the island, it’s basically a warzone. I did find a few paths they didn't mark - through the woods here, here, and here. There's one from the village to the coast-”

Ty pointed to a location on the map a short distance from their current position.

“-good way to avoid having to go through the shit. I didn’t see many people walking the coastline, but that could change. Lots of open ground, places to hide out.”

A gunshot rang out in the distance, causing him to twitch slightly. Ty folded the map back into his pocket and began to finish tying the lace on his boot, explaining more as he did so.

“Other than that, I can tell you Katrina’s no stone cold killer. Yuko was an accident, I was there. Caused it. Two others I can think about, though: Lorenzo - gay dude with the green hair. We used to be friends until I found out he raped a guy at prom. I stopped him trying to attack some people at the Pier, but he got away. Other one is Gervais. Sweater vest, long hair. Shot at me and another guy first thing in the morning. ”

Ty finished with his boot, and sat back. He looked towards the door, then back to Parker. The sun was beginning to hide behind a collection of grey clouds, and the air began to feel heavy. Rain was on the way, no doubt. He smiled, and motioned towards the hole in the wall of the house that Parker had entered through.

“That’s all I’ve got. Hope it helps. Oh, and if I see you again chances are I’ll probably try and kill you. You get the jump on me, you make it quick. I’ll do the same. Wish things were different, but it is what it is.”

Shrugging, he folded his arms in front of him, waiting for Parker to take his leave.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

It was unfortunate that Tyrell rejected the last little offer of leverage he had. Parker had hoped to be able to earn enough of his trust to get something a little more useful out of him, perhaps a hesitation when they met next, the edge he'd need. Even though he hopefully wouldn't have to put himself like that anyway. Parker listened intently to what Tyrell had to say. It was unlikely that he'd be able to remember all of it, at least without a pen and pad to take notes, but just the fact a shortcut existed was useful.

What Tyrell said about people was less reliable, naturally stained with his own bias and interaction with people. Just because Tyrell believed the kill he thought he'd seen was an accident, that didn't mean that either it necessarily was, or that Katrina wouldn't be a stone cold killer by the time he and her met. Lorenzo though, he couldn't keep the look of surprise out of his eyes there, considering he knew the dude. He'd always been... Sexually proactive, but he also seemed willing to take a hard no as an answer. He'd deal with that shit that stirred up if and when he ran into the guy. Gervais was someone he didn't know, so the brief description was nice enough, as was the warning not to try and know him.

The acknowledgement of what would most likely happen when they met was an interesting one though. He couldn't help but nod at that, expressionlessly, as the amusement and disappointment at that cancelled one another out. It made sense though, Tyrell had killed two people already, if anyone knew the way this game was going to work by the end - It would be him.

And then, with that, he was seemingly dismissed. Parker had no desire to argue with that, as he brought his bag in front of him, quickly pulling out a bottle of water from one side pocket before swinging it back over one shoulder. He leaned down onto his left side, fingers scrabbling on the grubby floor for a moment before coming in contact with metal, and wrapping around the handle of his throwing axe.

"Got it." he said, in simple understanding as he walked towards the exit of the shack. "No unnecessary suffering."

((Parker_Green - Day 2 - 10:02 Local Time - In Transit to no garren))
[+] V7
Relationship Thread!

[+] Pregame
ImageParker Green
[+] Pregame
Luca Thomas
[+] Pregame
Memories:

Return to “East Housing”