Presidential Election Speeches

The auditorium is located at the very back of the art block and is a large room where many of the dramatic performances, music recitals or concerts and school addresses are held as well as the graduation ceremony. It is a large room designed in the style of an old theater and during lunchtimes it is not uncommon to find students sitting together inside talking.
SOTF_Help

Presidential Election Speeches

Post by SOTF_Help »

George Hunter High School's senior class had been gathered in its auditorium for the speeches of the candidates for class president and vice president. Vice presidential speeches would be given first, followed by presidential speeches. Candidates spoke in alphabetical order by last name. After the conclusion of all speeches, the voting students would all cast their ballots together.
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

Alison's work was finally coming to fruition. Hours upon hours of poster distribution, word-of-mouth campaigning, and speech writing all led up to this one fateful day: her last chance to win over the favour of the senior class. She was facing some stiff competition this year, though she chose not to worry too much about the other candidates. A good politician had to have faith in herself.

She strode on stage once her turn came up, smiling and waving at the crowd. Alison made sure to wear the school's colors today pairing a green blouse with an unbuttoned black pantsuit, paired with black pumps and her pearl earrings. In her hand was a stack of index cards, which she only gave a passing look as she came to the podium. She'd practiced countless times in the mirror, and countless times more in front of her sister. It was a good thing this was only the senior class; in her words, Brooke would have "died" if she had to listen to this speech again.

"Good morning, George Hunter High School's Class of 2018! My name is Alison Kaye Bernheisel, and I'm running to become your senior class president! Of course, I'm sure you all know me. You've probably seen me in classes, in the halls, or in the cafeteria. You've seen me compete as part of our school's renowned speech and debate team, or sprint down the track, representing George Hunter at meets. On the other hand, maybe you know me as the girl to go to to get your fix of Thin Mints."

Alison paused, the auditorium echoing with scattered chuckles. That quip hadn't gotten as great of a reaction as she'd hoped, but she didn't' have time to dwell on it. She continued without missing a beat.

"But of course, this relationship has not been one-sided. I know all of you, too. We've all been going to school together since freshman year, and because of that, it's hard not learn names and faces over the years. While I may not be everyone's best friend, I care about all of you. We've studied, worked, and played together, and in a way, we're all one big family. We've all worked so hard to get to this point, and our journey together is coming to a close. Soon, we're all going to go off to to do bigger and better things, whether it be at college, in the workplace, or in the military. Senior year is our last year together, and I promise you all, I'm going to make the Class of 2018's last months at George Hunter a time to remember.

"I'm sure most of you went to homecoming last year, and I know you all had a good time. That was thanks to the hard work of our junior class board, of which I was an integral part of. If elected, I promise to use that experience to make our senior prom even better. Now, I'll admit, I'm pretty excited for this myself, and I've got some ideas already. No spoilers, of course!" Alison chuckled and put a finger to her lips. "But you'll find out eventually, depending on who you cast your ballots for."

"Now, I'm not a candidate that makes empty promises. To truly make prom great would require some hefty expenditures, some that our school might not have. But I know how to get them. Fundraisers aren't a new concept to any of you, though they could be largely improved. We've all heard of the usual bake sales, car washes, and the like. While effective, people get tired of them sometimes. However, if elected, I hope to put a new spin on some of these fundraisers to draw in more participation, and thus more funds.

"I'm sure most of you would like to send each other candygrams around Valentine's Day. Or show off your skills at a talent show. Or maybe just be able to hang out with your friends at events like a class movie night, or even a lock in. There's no reason not to have fun while raising money for our school, and it'd definitely spice up our remaining time together. As we all work to overcome senioritis and close our our high school careers strong, don't you think we all deserve a little fun?

"These may sound like high orders, but I hope you all have faith in me, because I have the experience. I've been a member of the student council since freshman year, and for those of you who knew me in middle school, I've had experience there, too. Those four years have prepared me for this role, along with fostering a genuine care for my classmates. Like I said, we're one big family, and we deserve a last hurrah.

"Just remember: you have an ally in Alison. Thank you.

She bowed her head and walked off stage, breathless. The applause was music to her ears, helping her neves dissipate into thin air. Alison had nothing left to worry about; it was all in the hands of the voters now.
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

Lucas Brady looked over himself once more, looked over his cue cards, looked over himself again. Now that his time was coming up, time to make or break his senior year, he realised that the shirt and tie might've been overdoing it.

Too little, too late, he thought to himself as he chewed his lip. Was that the right way to use the phrase? Probably not, probably not. He scratched his ear, pacing, as the preceding speech continued. His tie was too tight, way too tight.

He exhaled again, counting to five in his head. Now wasn't the time to panic, after all. He'd prepared his speech, Grandpa had reviewed it and given it his blessing, he was as ready as he could hope to be.

Yeah, Grandpa had said it looked good. He had to do this, for him.

He chewed his lip harder. The timing of it all was rather shit.

"Hey everyone, thanks for coming out." He smiled, as much of a politician smile's as he could muster in this inexperienced time in his career.

"So if you don't know me, I'm Lucas Brady, and I'm running for senior president. If you didn't know that, well, maybe you should've read the cue cards." he chuckled in a rather pained manner, because of course there weren't cue cards. This was not the time to go off script, so he coughed to clear his throat and get back on track.

"But in all seriousness, why should you vote for me? Well, what do we want from a senior president? Someone we like, sure, but someone we know is going to do the job right, too. Someone who's got a lot of experience with student government, someone with a lot of political knowledge, someone who's going to get us what we want."

"I've been on the student council since I was a freshman, and I'm the guy who knows how things are done. Whether it's organising bake sales, dances, or all those events we love, I've had my hand in it and I know what it takes to be a president. I know what needs to be said to make things happen, but I know what's realistic to expect to. I'm not going to stand here and make a bunch of empty promises about a bunch of new classes or more freedom or anything unrealistic like that, but I am going to promise you all what we can get done together."

He paused.

Nope, he froze.

Fuck what was the next part? Oh god he was sweating something fierce wasn't he? Why'd he wear a white shirt of all things?

Oh god, panic reaction. Quick do something to defuse it. Laugh. Laugh it off.

"Haha, sorry guys, think I lost my train of thought there." He laughed again, looking at his cue cards. Next part, next part, oh god they're all looking at me, next part AHA!

"RIGHT! What we're going to get done. Well, like I said, I think the most important part of us getting what we can out of this year is pitching in together, and I think that means our council needs to be open to listening to input and collaborating with all the groups at the school, not just operating in a bubble. Part of that is my plan to get more dialogue going with everyone, whether that's by digital platforms or opening up our council meetings as a way to submit ideas."

"On top of that, ah-" another fumble, another cue card "-well, in terms of actual items on my agenda, I also want to talk to the staff about what they're doing to keep the school safe in these dangerous times, and find a way to get everyone feeling more involved with their peers. Sure we've been here for years, but I'm sure many of us might have trouble reaching out to get to know our classmates, and I'm looking to create more programs to support that."

"I'd also like to modernise the school's online space so that people have another place to put their ideas and create new topics. I mean we're all using social media, so the school needs to keep up with us in that department."

Another laugh. Yeah, this wasn't how he'd rehearsed it and he couldn't remember the next part again so fuck it let's wrap this up.

"So, in conclusion, more cooperation between the council and the rest of the year, more ways for us to connect as a year, and more successes for us a year. Thanks for listening and hope you all enjoyed."

Nervous smile nervous wave get the fuck off the fucking stage.
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

Before Nathan took the stage, a teacher helped him by adjusting the microphone stand. Now he was ready to give his speech, which he carefully wrote with the help of Mrs. Bautista. Nathan looked at the crowd that had gathered to listen. There were many kids here! This made him nervous. It made him so nervous that he almost wanted to run away.

"Come on Nathan!" came an encouraging shout from one of Nathan's friends. He looked up - that surprised him! It also made him very happy, and he smiled one of his famous smiles from ear to ear. He was ready to give his speech. Nathan stood close to the microphone like he had been told to do and held up his paper.

"Hello." The room was quiet and the microphone made him sound funny. But, Nathan continued.

"My name... is Nathan Coleman. I am a senior! Uhm, here, at George Hunter High School." Nathan paused to push up his glasses and grip his paper tightly. "I like to dance and play sports and play games. But I also like school - I think it's very important." He quickly looked up from his paper to grin at his audience. This was going just like he practiced.

"I also like to cook. Cooking is fun, but it's hard work. It teaches me to be re-spon-si-ble." Nathan had chosen that word himself, impressing Mrs. Bautista. "I want to own my own restaurant some day. That is a lot of work. Being class president is a lot of work too." Nathan looked at the bottom of the page. The speech was written in big letters, so he was almost done.

"I will work very hard, as your president. School should be fun for everybody. We, uhm, should love to learn." Nathan licked his lips - they were starting to feel very dry! "And if, you vote for me then I... promise this will be a year we... remember forever."

"The end."

Nathan took a bow and smiled before hiding his face behind the piece of paper and stepping to the side, being ushered back to his seat.
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

Hello everyone, thank you all for being in attendance today. To stand here before you is a tremendous honour, and I'd like to thank you all very much for listening to what I, and the other candidates, have to say. I am Ashlynn Martinek. Like you, I am a student of George Hunter High. I am a resident of the Chattanooga area. I have engaged in a variety of clubs and activities around the school, made it my mission to get to know as many of you as I can.

What is most important about me is not my biography. No, it is my system of principles. I believe in a free and equal society, where everyone has the opportunities to succeed. Some will call me a liberal. I welcome this. In the words of JFK, 'if, by a "liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "liberal."' I will, in the tradition of great liberal activists before me, fight for a 'better day, a more tranquil night, and a bright, infinite future'.

And why am I running for the position of Senior President?

I believe it is important, nay, vital, that young people are politically engaged. That begins at the local level, and few levels are more local, more fundamental, than the school environment. It is imperative that we are included in the debates - about educational policy, about the school environments we reside within, about the safety of our schools. And, yes, about the world that we want to inherit.

There is a self-interested reason for this, the reason why we should want to throw ourselves into such debates: we need to begin our civil education, our ability to recognise the inherent importance of debate and the free market of ideas. We need to be well-acquainted with our rights, as democratic citizens, lest someone tries to take them away from us. And what are school politics but a microcosm of real politics? They offer us a chance to learn the tools of campaigning, to learn how to champion our rights and the rights of others. They give us a chance to fight against entrenched powers, against appalling status quos.

But as young people, we can be the vanguard of a new cosmopolitan era in global politics. We can make sure we care for those all over the state, all over the nation, all over the world. There are some who say we should keep our ambitions limited. I reject this pessimism. It is by starting change, at the local level, by building up coalitions and campaigns here, that we can begin affecting change on an even larger level.

So as your Senior President, I pledge to work every day to find innovative policy solutions to the problems plaguing our school, to work with the administration to implement new ethical policies in areas such as fair trade and energy efficiency. To serve as a conduit for your concerns, for your needs, for your hopes and ambitions. To use my position as a bully pulpit - by which I mean the term in the way Theodore Roosevelt used it - to serve as a figurehead and lynchpin for important local campaigns.

If you are interested in discussing philosophy or policy with me, my proverbial office door is always open. Thank you!
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

So here it was. Ross Miller shifted uncomfortably on the stage and looked out at the student body, many of whom were murmuring and talking among themselves. This had seemed like such a great idea at the time - run for student council, and hey, even if you didn't win, you can always say that you went for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? But here was the moment of truth; the big speech. He'd run a pretty low-key campaign, Ross had no illusions that he'd win. There was no ripping other candidates, only a minimum of posters, and the slogan he'd come up with (Make Ross the Boss) was pretty much as close to a joke as he could get while taking it with only a minimum of serious thought.

But now, the speech. The only part that made him semi-uncomfortable, that he had to actually give a shit about. He had to elocute in front of all these people about why he was the choice to be student council president.

If only he truly believed that himself.

He could feel the stares from the other candidates upon him as he was handed the microphone and introduced by the principal, all of whom probably wondering what on Earth he'd been thinking running for the position. He didn't blame them, that was exactly what he was thinking, too.

Oh well - fuck it, let's do it live.

"Hey everyone! Some of you might already know me, in which case - I'm sorry."

A joke. A smart way to start off. His voice was confident, with only a hint of overwhelmedness at the mass of humanity before him.

"For those of you that don't, my name is Ross Miller, and I'm running to be your student council president."

No shit, Ross. That was why everyone was here. Keep going.

"Now a lot of these other candidates are promising a lot. More trips, better food options in the cafeteria, maybe even a water fountain made of chocolate somewhere in the school? These things are all well and good, but let's think about it. Are those changes that any of us can really affect? Is there anything that we, as a student body leader, can actually say 'I'm going to do this and make everything better'?" He paused, and shrugged for effect.

"The answer to that in the short form is, honestly? I don't know. I'm not running for president to reinvent the wheel. I'm not running to make this in to a party school, or to fight the power of the establishment. I'm running because I think this school and its student body needs someone who is going to stand up for them, to represent them in a manner that's appropriate to how we are, as a school."

Right on - he was into the meat of it now. He had practiced the speech for days, and while he was winging it in spots, it was going the way that he'd hoped. No ums or uhs, and he'd managed to pause in spots where he'd forgotten words.

"We have so much going for us here at George Hunter. We have a kick-ass athletics department with a football team that's going to smack the hell out of all comers," he paused to let the requisite cheers come from the football team, "our women's basketball team towers over any other team in all of Tennessee! Our cultural arts department dwarfs anyone else. The theatre productions have been legit, and if you've walked around with your eyes open, you'll see that the art that decorates our school is all student-created."

Ross absently cracked his neck, trying to keep his breathing steady as he moved into the home stretch of his speech.

"Why reinvent the wheel here when we're already running along at full speed? There's no need for it. What we need is a student body president who's going to keep the wheels oiled and moving, rather than stop the car and start changing a perfectly good tire. We need someone who's going to help support our students, and continue the tradition of excellence that we're establishing here at George Hunter. I can't tell you exactly what I'm going to do as your president, because I don't know. I'm not someone who makes grandiose claims, nor am I someone who feeds you a line of bullshit."

He stopped, and froze for a moment, glancing over at the teacher glowering at him. They had been specifically asked not to curse. Whoops. He shrugged and sheepishly held up his hands.

"Sorry, sorry! I can't help it. I am who I am. But that's exactly why you should elect me as your student body president. I am who I am, and I want to let all of you be who you are, too. Let's make Ross the Boss, and I'll do my best to help keep George Hunter the place where we can all become the fantastic people that I know we all will be!"

He exhaled. Sweet.

"Thank you all so much!"

He walked over to the glowering teacher and handed the mic back to him. It probably wouldn't be enough to topple any of the other candidates - Juliette had run an intensive campaign, but hey, maybe he'd get a few votes at least.

For now and forever, Ross Miller would be able to say that he ran for prez - and he was proud of that.
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

"There is an old story about a nail in a horse's shoe, that, when it fell out, caused a chain of escalating events which eventually resulted in an entire kingdom being conquered. This is where the expression 'For want of a nail' comes from, and illustrates nicely how one seemingly insignificant cause can, over a series of steps, have a very significant effect. Of course, what people often don't consider is that every single step needed to have been at the tipping point already, and each previous cause or effect just gave it the right push to send it over the edge. So in most cases a lost nail will just result in an annoyed rider and a visit to the blacksmith. But nevertheless, every once in a while this phenomenon gives small events a chance to change the course of history."
- Dr. Liana Anduro, A Short Introduction to Chaos Theory (2013)

Joey was excited. This day, this important day, the day he had been preparing for for months, had finally arrived. Despite that, on the surface he looked serene. Prepared. Shaved.

Joey was not a boy you could easily miss. For one, he was extremely, hopelessly obese. For two, he always moved with big, energetic gestures so that at a distance when he talked you could mistakenly think he was describing the size and shape of a building he'd just visited, though if you got to know him you'd learn he was not one for sightseeing tours. And for three, he had a personality that was at once charismatic, imposing and shrewd. You could compare him with Eleanor Roosevelt, though that would be strange and people would wonder why you did that.

He was wearing a pair of beige chinos and a long-sleeved bordeaux shirt, with rolled up sleeves. He was on stage already, savoring the moment when all eyes were on him. He looked down at his notes, tapped his index finger twice on the pedestal, then looked up at the audience again and smiled. It was just show, of course - he had the speech memorized and could have recited it backwards if he'd wanted to, but having a good memory was not going win him votes. No, care was, or the appearance of it, so that was what he would show.

He cleared his throat, and began: "Ladies, gentlemen and those who don't feel addressed by those two, thank you for having me today. My name is Joseph Quintero, though you can call me Joey. I'm sure most of you want this whole shebang to be over already, and the rest of you want to know why I'm here, so I will do my best to satisfy both of you.

But first, let me say a few words: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"

There was some confused stirring in the audience at that, just like he'd hoped. He smiled broadly and gestured towards the crowd.

"I'm sorry, I just thought I'd get the attention of those about to drop off. Politics and voting and all that can be terribly boring, I know. You want to get today over with and not think about it again until next year, or at all."

His grin disappeared, and instead he looked thoughtful.

"That means, you want someone who you can rely on to get the job done without hassle. Someone competent, someone careful, but also somebody confident in their own abilities."

"Careful", "confident" and "competent". Those were the three words he had used liberally on his election posters. By any luck people would be hallucinating them tattooed on his forehead.

"Or at least, that's what I would want. And if I may say so, I think that I qualify. Though I know a lot of you know me by reputation, let me introduce myself for those few who don't. I'm a member of the debate team and school council and have been since I started here at Hunter High. I've taken peer aide and advanced placement in social sciences. I read a lot on politics and philosophy and hope to get a law degree someday. But most importantly I pride myself on knowing a wide range of people from all social groups, so I can't help but have my ear to the ground and hear about all issues that come up. Or else, if I've missed one, it should be easy to get in touch.

On the subject of issues, I know my opponents have a few they've talked about. Some of their goals are quite lofty, though commendable, and I think that the motivation behind them is admirable. We should always keep improving, bit by bit, since otherwise we'll be left behind."

He placed both hands on the pedestal and leaned towards the audience.

"But let's be real. This is not the Presidency of the United States of America we're running for. If we play our cards right, we might get on the news once or so, but we're not going to change the world. Now, some of you might now be thinking 'Duh', to which I say, 'Yeah'. This is just a point I think is particularly important. No matter how ideal your ideas are in theory, if you can't achieve them in practice you might be a worse candidate than someone whose only plan is to sit around twiddling their thumbs - they at least won't waste the school's time and resources."

He held up a finger.

"To be clear, I am not accusing my opponents of being impractical or am planning to sit around twiddling my thumbs, but the people who want this job - myself included - always have an agenda. And too often the first time it's checked whether or not that agenda is doable is after the vote. I do want to add, however, that I'll try and implement my opponents' goals to the best of my ability, if they are achievable and sensible and I get the feeling people want them. That means that if you like an idea an opponent of mine has, it doesn't need to be off the table if I win. I promise I will work with my opponents and with the rest of the school to set goals that benefit us all. But goals without the care and competence to achieve them are useless, and possibly even dangerous. Without them, we might make the news alright, but in ways we might not like."

At that, he leaned back and held his hands in a placating gesture.

"Say you disagree with me that I'm the most competent candidate, however. Say you think someone else would steer the student council better, represent the student body better, or is a better negotiator or organizer or harder worker. In that case, please, vote for them instead! The whole point of these elections is for us to decide collectively if the people volunteering for the job are the best choices or not, and though I'm pretty sure about the necessary qualifications, I could be dead wrong about me fulfilling them best. Even if someone has some kooky ideas, if they're the best, they're the best. Chances are, we'll agree on 90% of the issues anyway, and the rest will be worth it if they're just better at implementing the important stuff. The only thing I'd ask that person is that they also consider the ideas and goals the rest of us have."

He picked up his notes as if to read from a list and tapped them on the pedestal.

"Now to my own agenda.

I'll make it quick; I've heard some people complain some of the less popular clubs are hogging the good rooms and time-slots, and I'll see if there's a way to get them divided up more fairly. I want to try and make the meals in the cafeteria more appetizing for the same cost - nobody's talked to me about this, this is more of a personal matter, heh, though I don't think many people will disagree."

He slapped his belly at "personal matter". While meant as a joke at his own expense, this was actually something he meant to do - the food wasn't atrocious, but there was quite a bit of room for improvement.

His face grew serious.

"But those are trivial matters. My main goal is this: I intend to increase our connections and communication with our neighbouring schools, to see if we can organize ourselves better and maybe get our voices heard whenever there's something that affects us all. This should also help increase our influence in the National Gathering of Student Council. Why? Well, as you might know, the Arizona Legislature has been cutting the budget for schools, as have lots of States. I don't want to bore you with the details, but if nothing happens this is something that can only get worse, and is something I want to help tackle head-on. It's a vain hope to think we can stop it by ourselves, but if I can help all schools to work together, then maybe, just maybe, we can slow it down. In any case, it's not something we can ignore."

Budget cuts to schools were an ever present fear in Joey's mind, at least while he still attended one, and he knew that fear existed in the back of the mind of quite a bit of the student body and staff. While it would be hypocritical to promise a definite plan of action to prevent them, something he didn't and wouldn't have anyway, he hoped that mentioning he was aware of them and that he had a rough idea of how he might oppose them would cement the idea that he was on top of things in the minds of a lot of the students.

He placed his notes down without double checking them. He didn't exactly smile, but he kept his expression open and friendly. First, there had been care, but now there was competence and confidence. He knew he was done, and meant to show it.

"That is all. Just remember: Vote for who's going to do the best job, not just for whoever promises the most. We'll make the most progress if we keep our goals realistic, and the more competent the candidate the further we'll get.

Thank you for your time."
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

It was finally time. After all the planning, campaigning, poster-making, dreaming and fretting and second-guessing, the time for the election had arrived. Juliette had expected to be nervous, scared or unsure or cursing herself for some little mistake or oversight returning to trouble her at the last second. Instead, she was completely calm as she walked to the microphone and spoke, her words rolling out naturally and smoothly. She had, after all, rehearsed.

"Hello," she said. "A lot of you know me or have seen my posters. For those of you who don't, I hope to get better acquainted. My name is Juliette Sargent, and I want to be your senior class president.

"The field of candidates this year is crowded, and there are many good choices on stage with me. Regardless of the outcome of this election, I'll be honored to work with each and any of them. I do, however, believe that I'm the best option—if I didn't, I wouldn't be standing here.

"Right now, as a country, politics are more a part of our daily lives than ever. Differences in opinion are inescapable, and people, regardless of their beliefs, feel alienated and ignored and pushed aside. The decisions made by those above, the processes and causes behind their actions, feel impossibly distant, yet we all are affected inevitably by them. This is true on a national scale, and it remains relevant even in something so modest as a student government.

"I imagine some of you probably don't even fully understand what the class president does. That's okay. It's also one of the things I hope to change should I win the office.

"I believe that the most important duty of any government is to faithfully represent its people. That's you. I've talked with many of you, and I hope to talk with many more. Should I win the presidency, I intend to be hands-on. I plan to get to know everyone I can, to listen to your problems and your hopes and to do whatever I can to help you solve your dilemmas and achieve your dreams. I have a vision of a George Hunter student government which acts as an active advocate for everyone, which has time and energy to consider all ideas and perspectives.

"This office is not a tool to elevate oneself above the class. It is, I feel, an opportunity and a responsibility to work tirelessly to make school and our shared lives here better for everyone, to unify rather than to divide. That is what I have fought for throughout my time on student council, and what I intend to continue to work towards at every opportunity.

"I believe in details, in the personal. I believe that nobody is beyond notice. If elected, I promise that I will be there for you. You can find me anytime, anywhere, and bring me your concerns. I will listen to you. I will prioritize what matters to you. I will do my best for all of our sakes.

"I'm your classmate. I'd love to be your friend.

"I hope to be your president.

"Together, we can make the student government more than an empty set of resume-padding exercises. We can collaborate to improve the lives of every student here, and we can make George Hunter High School the best school it can possibly be. I'd be honored beyond words should you choose me to represent you in this project.

"Thank you so much for considering me, and for being a class of individuals worth stepping forward to lead."

Juliette gave a wide smile and a small bow, then returned to her position among the other candidates, feeling all the while like she might break free of the earth and float through the ceiling and off into space.

Return to “Auditorium”