Swing and a Miss

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
Ryuki

Swing and a Miss

Post by Ryuki »

The final bell rang through the school. The students exited their last classes of the day and flooded the hallways. Everyone was making their way to their lockers for material's for tonight's homework assignments. Others were rushing to get out the door and to the bus circle or the parking lot. For one student, this was the day they had prepared for.

That student was Ned Jackson, and he was nervous. His palms were clammy, and there were butterflies in his stomach. This freshman was about to face the greatest challenge of his life: asking out a girl. That girl was Leslie Smith, a fellow drama club member. Ned had known of her for a long time, but it wasn't until they became drama club members that he really started to get to know her. She seemed nice, shared similar liberal views as him, and they liked similar video games. Ned had thought about asking her out for a while and decided that now was better than never.

He rounded the corner to where Leslie's locker was. Sure enough, there she was. Ned took a deep breath, and began taking one step after the other toward her. His heart in his throat, it began to pound faster and faster with every step, inching closer to Leslie. Then, finally...

"H-hey Leslie," Ned stuttered.
[+] V7
Mains
Image B018: Ned Jackson- That’s All Folks
Image G039: Yuki Hayashibara- Family is Forever
Image B034: Zachary Beck- Guess I’ll Die
Katie

Post by Katie »

"Oh hey Ned," Leslie said as turned to face him. She'd just been getting ready to head home, getting the things she needed out of her locker to do so. Ned seemed rather nervous for some reason, she wondered what was up.

Ned was, in Leslie's opinion, one of the few decent guys in the school, and they had plenty of common interests. Most of the guys in theater tended to be among the decent ones, she'd found, but there were obviously exceptions. (*cough*AlexKempinski*cough*)

"What's up? You need something?"
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"There's something I want to ask you," Ned said nervously. He could feel his face blushing and turning red. It was now or never. To back out now would be more awkward than the stare he was giving Leslie at this moment. Ned took a breath as he gathered his thoughts.

He had to decide to either be direct or ease her in with a series of questions. To directly ask her out might be too hasty and rude. So, he thought, perhaps, he could try to ease her in with a few questions. It could take some of the pressure off of asking her out and make the conversation less awkward. He just needed to segway the conversation towards the big question.

"Do you have any plans this weekend?," Ned asked.
[+] V7
Mains
Katie

Post by Katie »

"Yeah, I'm gonna go party with some friends," She answered. "I'll still be available for online gaming during the day though. What game are you hoping to play?"

She figured that'd be the reason he wanted to know. They'd played games online before, it was nothing new. She couldn't think of any other reason he'd want to know her weekend plans.
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Oh! Well, actually I was...uh...," Ned stammered. That was unexpected. She already had plans. He needed to change up his strategy. Go for broke.

"Actually," Ned continued, "I was wondering if you would, maybe, like to go out... with me."

Ned scratched the back of his head. Cat was out of the bag. Ned's head was steaming. What would she have to say to that?
[+] V7
Mains
Katie

Post by Katie »

"Uh, whaaaaaaat?" She stood there, mouth agape, absolutely dumbfounded. Did he not know she was gay? How? She was fucking baffled by this. She'd thought it was obvious. She'd have to resolve to act gayer in the future to clear up any misconceptions. Eventually, she regained her composure, and said, "Um, you do know I'm like, super gay, right?"
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

It's official: Ned was embarrassed. Leslie, the girl he wanted to ask out, was gay. He really didn't know her all that well. Based on the way she said it, this was something he should have known. This was worse than being rejected. Well, might as well try and end things as smoothly as he could.

"I'm sorry," Ned said, "I didn't know. I had hoped to get to know a little more by asking you out. But, now I feel so insensitive for not knowing this."

Ned lowered his head.

"I understand if you don't want to talk to me anymore."
[+] V7
Mains
Katie

Post by Katie »

Oh shit, now she made him feel bad, which made her feel bad. To be honest, she was just as embarrassed as him. She did not like being put in positions like this, it felt awkward as fuck. She had to fix this somehow.

"Hey, don't like, beat yourself up or whatever. I just thought everyone knew already, so I was caught off guard to find out that you didn't. We can still be like, friends and stuff, it's cool."

She'd hoped that'd make him feel better. She wasn't the best at comforting others by any means, but she tried when the situation called for it.
Ryuki

Post by Ryuki »

"Ah! All right," Ned said as he sprung his head up, "As long as there are no hard feelings. Seriously though, I'd like to get to know you better."

Okay, well, asking Leslie out may have been a bust, but at the very least, things didn't end in disaster. As corny as he put it, Ned liked Leslie enough to establish grounds for friendship. The last thing he wanted was to leave with some tension between him and Leslie. Going to drama club would really awkward then.

"Well," Ned added, "Guess I'll see you around."

Ned gave a little wave goodbye to Leslie and made his way to the bus circle.

(Ned Jackson continued elsewhere...)
[+] V7
Mains
Katie

Post by Katie »

"Mmmkay, see ya around," Leslie said, waving him goodbye as she turned her attention back to her locker. She breathed a sigh of relief, happy that Ned had taken it well.

Return to “Memories from the Past”