Tread Softly

Everything else on the island, these grassy, well kept lands are a popular camping area for many a tourist too fearful to brave the rain forest, or too inexperienced to rough it in the Forest. There are certain areas marked off for camping, but for the most part these fields and plains are just there to get from point A to point B, in the most relaxing and enjoyable way possible.
Dr. Nic*

Tread Softly

Post by Dr. Nic* »

[Yellow #4 - Marcus Walker. Continued from Trees, Trees Everywhere.]

What was the fucking point?

Marcus had just been walking since Devonte died. He picked a direction and started walking, and hadn't stopped or slowed since. He just walked. Maybe if he walked far enough, he'd put it all behind him and hear Devonte calling for him to wait up again. Maybe if he walked far enough, he could find Anthony or Jaszmine, and they could all go hang at the mall. Maybe if he just kept walking, he'd be able to see his friends again. But what was the fucking point? They were dead. All of them. Devonte back in the woods, and god knows where the fuck Anthony was laying his dead ass. He was supposed to find Jaszmine but look at where they were. He wasn't going to find her. At least, not alive.

That's the way the game was set up. If he ever found Jaszmine, he'd find her dead. Or dying. And it all came down to ratings. That kind of shit just oozed ratings with females 18 to 35. The drama and the sorrow were big hits among them. But Marcus couldn't give a shit less about ratings. He just wanted his god damn friends back. He wanted to go back to hanging out at the mall and ragging on shitty parties. He wanted to go back to his little sister and his little brother and even his grandmother. Hell, he even wanted to see Devonte's grandmother again.

But no. They just had to pick him and his friends for this fucking game. They just had to decide that they would make for some decent ratings. Fuck that. Marcus wasn't going to be a tool for ratings. Even if he had to just keep on walking. Even if he had to do nothing but walk. What was the point of anything else?

Fuck the game. Fuck the ratings. Fuck the 18 to 35 female audience. And last but certainly not least, fuck Skye. That piece of shit took the only god damn thing Marcus had going for him on this island. That son of a bitch destroyed the only good thing there was on this god forsaken island. It may have meant playing their game or giving them ratings, but Marcus was going to kill that son of a bitch the next time he saw him. He was going to make that bastard suffer. But Marcus had to find him first.

...Wherever the fuck he was. Obviously, he wasn't anywhere around here. All that Marcus could see was lots of grass, and he wasn't even certain Skye came this way. He went somewhere... east? west? Some fucking direction. Marcus was not a scout. Couldn't read a map or work a compass properly to save his life, and right about now he was wishing he would have taken the chance to sign up for something like the scouts. Devonte said something about it a couple years back. His grandmother has suggested it to get his ass out of the house, or something like that. Might have been fun.

Man, thinking about Devonte was doing nothing but bumming Marcus out. And all this fucking walking was getting old fast. Which made the rumbling of Marcus' stomach seem almost welcome. Time for food. Hooray for bread, water and jerky. Breakfast of champions.

Fucking product placement. Why couldn't they be sponsored by something like Church's Chicken?
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dr. Nic. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Flayer*

Post by Flayer* »

<<Axel Stadler continues from Just a Quick Swim>>

Trees, trees, fucking...

No trees. Axel saw the light coming out from beyond the last of them and ran those last few yards, jumping out into the grass. "Oh fuck me, we're out of the jungle!" he shouted. Open grassland up to the horizon. The sky, the fucking sky. "Come on, we're free," he called back to Anna.

Free to get the game started. Axel's adrenaline had burned out a few hours ago in the rain forest. He'd known in his mind back when he watched the show that it wasn't really honest, that they edited out the boring bits to go for the action and the romance and the comedy. But that had in no way prepared him for actually being lost in the jungle for hour after hour. It was boring, fucking boring.

At least Anna had been entertaining. She was an endless wellspring of movie quotes, references, and impressions, and he couldn't help being amused despite his best attempts to focus on "kill or be killed."

So...goal one was completed. Escape the jungle. Axel took off the jacket he'd been wearing to keep the bugs off his arms and put it back in his bag. Goal two, find the rest of Blue Team, and goal three, begin killing the competition, still remained.

He looked back at his new partner, wondering how difficult it'd be to get her on track with goal three. How exactly did you persuade someone to abandon the inhibitions society had conditioned you into? "All right Anna, we made it out. What do you think we do...wait, do you see someone there?"

He pointed at a person standing far out in the grass. Too far away to tell anything for sure except black and male.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Flayer. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

((Anna Hitchins continued from Just a Quick Swim))

Anna hadn't been as fortunate as Axel to have a jacket to cover her tender flesh. The bugs had obliged her vulnerability, and her arms were now swollen masses of itchy flesh. She had briefly considered seeing if her survival pack had matches so she could suck on the tip of one. She'd heard somewhere that could keep the mosquitoes away, as awful as it tasted. Maybe it was an old war movie or something. Didn't matter. She was willing to try anything.

"I hope I'm fucking delicious, bugs. I hope you guys are serving me up with some fava beans and a nice bottle of Chianti." Anna watched as another bug alighted on her arm, and she shook it vigorously to send the little bastard flying off.

She was so focused on her plight that she almost didn't hear Axel point out a new person. She looked, saw that he was big and black and...familiar. She squinted, and she was almost able to make out his fea....

"Marky Mark!" She shouted out, once again overriding logical self-preservative actions through sheer exuberance. "Marcus!!!" She started heading toward him at a brisk pace. Maybe he knew where she could find Anthony. He always hung out with her cameraman, him and Jaszy and and Devonte.
Dr. Nic*

Post by Dr. Nic* »

...Audible fucking silence.

"Seriously? This is who you decide to send my way? Of all the people, it has to be her?"

Sure, he wanted to find his friends. And sure, maybe he wanted just to find more people that he knew. But of all the people he could run in to, of all the people he could have ended up with, why did it have to be the single most annoying white girl he knew? Why in the hell did it have to be Snowflake? It could have been anyone else. It could have even been Bobby fucking Goldman. At least then he'd have someone he could kick the shit out of. But no, it had to be Snowflake. The single most annoying white girl he had to be nice to. Anthony was always keen on that bit there. Be nice to Snowflake. Don't call her Snowflake directly, just like he wasn't supposed to go calling the the douches at school douches to their face.

God damn. Of all the people...

"Hey Anna."

Marcus' response was lacking in the exuberance that Anna's greeting carried, but who could blame him. He just lost two of his best friends in the whole fucking world and now he's got a constant reminder of what one of them used to be. Maybe she'd be better on the island. He could hope. Maybe she would lighten up a little, and settle down now that her life was on the fucking line. He could hope. But above all, maybe she wouldn't be quite so annoying here. He could hope.

"How are you?"

Marcus really couldn't come up with much else. Have you seen Anthony? No, of course she hasn't, otherwise they'd be together. Anthony was fucking dead anyhow. Have you seen Jaszmine? No, of course she hasn't, otherwise they'd be together. Jaszmine was probably fucking dead anyhow. Devonte? Fuck, Marcus already saw Devonte. They would be together right now if it weren't for that brainless little fuck with the crossbow. If Marcus ever finds that son of a bitch he's going to shove that damn weapon so far up Skye's ass he'll shoot bolts out his fucking mouth.

"I uh... I've just been walking, myself."

...Yeah, Marcus was the fucking life of the party.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dr. Nic. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Flayer*

Post by Flayer* »

Yellow bandana.
Can't see his weapon.
He looks pissed off.
(he's black)

Axel's first instinct was to get the fuck away from this person. Apparently, his new teammate had felt the exact opposite. Axel watched her dash past, practically jumping for joy at the sight of...Mark.

Damn it. This was why Axel preferred going alone. He felt like he was on an invisible leash. How long before you let your new friend drag you over a cliff by it? He could leave her right now. Turn around, take a walk through the jungle (along the edge this time, no more getting lost in the interior), come out somewhere else. His subconscious was happy to supply him with arguments for this: this girl had no weapon, no skills, no survival instinct, this black guy could be very fucking dangerous, etc.

Axel sighed and started following Anna towards Mark, repressing his impulses. Probably going to regret this. You learned to live by your instincts when you lived in Detroit, and Survival of the Fittest was probably the worst place in the world to stop doing that. But at least Axel wasn't breaking his cardinal rule yet. You don't have to outrun a bullet; you just have to outrun the person behind you.

"Hey, I'm Axel," he said, stopping about fifteen feet away from Mark. He gave a little wave. He wasn't winning any points for charm here. "How's the game been going? Have you seen anything happen yet?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Flayer. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

"Walkin'? Christopher Walken?" Anna took a step back. "I got a fever...and the only cure is more cowbell." She said, affecting a passable imitation of the actor's trademark speech pattern.

She didn't get much of a response from either of the two. "Saturday Night Live? Real old show, kinda funny, not on anymore?" Anna pouted when neither showed recognition.

Axel introduced himself to Marcus (from a notable distance away), asked if he had seen anything happen. Anna promptly overrode him.

"That's actually Bosley, and I'm his premier Angel. All I gotta do is feather my hair. Farrah doesn't have shit on Anna Hitchins."

The question that she wanted to ask Marcus was buried underneath the theatrics and the slowly unraveling pieces of a fragile mind.

Anthony?
Dr. Nic*

Post by Dr. Nic* »

"Charlie's Angels, right Anna?"

Great. Just fucking great. It was going exactly as well as he thought it was. Anna was just as much a crazy white girl as she used to be. Hell, it even looks like she managed to get worse. So there goes his hopes that she'd mellow out and not be quite so annoying. And to top it off, Marcus was likely going to be stuck with her. Cause she was the closest thing he had to a friend left on the island, and he was probably the closest thing she had as well. They were stuck with each other.

Well, each other and this other douche. Who the fuck was he?

"Mm. Yeah, I know you."

The weird fuck. At least, one of the weird fucks. There were so many weird little fucking white kids at the school. And he just had to share classes with half the fuckers. Weird little bastards. Annoyed the hell of out him most of the time, but the great majority of them were harmless. Mostly harmless. Mostly.

"You wanna know what I've seen?"

Could tell them he saw a white boy just like Axel shit his pants and run screaming for his life. Could tell them he watched his own best friend bleed out in front of him like a stuck pig and beg to be killed by someone other than that son of a bitch Skye. Could tell them he saw a whole bunch of shit he didn't actually see. Marcus could probably come up with plenty of lies to put the fear of god in Axel and Anna, but what good would that do?

"I watched a white boy shit his pants and I watched my best friend die in my fucking arms. That's what I saw."

Tell them the truth. No use lying. They'll hear about it on the announcements anyways, whenever the fuck those go out. He had a good guess as to when they would be going out every day, but there had only been a few so far. Gotta wait till the next one to know when to anticipate them. Maybe he should tell them that it'll be his name called out on the announcements as Devonte's killer. Or at least tell Anna. Marcus couldn't care less what the hell Axel thought, but it was true that Anna was about the only friend he had left. Better to be upfront with her. But that could wait.

"Now, why don't both of you show me your cards."

Marcus pulled out one of the bolts he had stashed away, a gift from Skye that he was going to make sure he gave back in the worst way possible. He wasn't exactly sure why he felt the need to show that he was armed. Intimidation, maybe. Honesty, maybe. Whatever the exact reason, Marcus showed them he was armed with something a little more deadly than harsh thoughts and his fists. But he didn't show them all he had hidden up his sleeves. He was going to keep a few secrets for himself.

"No secrets now. Just so we know where we all stand."
Flayer*

Post by Flayer* »

"I watched a white boy shit his pants and I watched my best friend die in my fucking arms. That's what I saw."

Axel tried to keep his poker face going as Marcus vented his anger. This was another situation that you didn't get the real thing out of when you watched it on TV. You couldn't feel threat when you watched a show. Axel visualized Marcus lashing out, smashing a fist through his face to get rid of that need to punch something. He was tensed up, ready to move if Marcus started getting aggressive.

He grabbed hold of the loaded sock when Marcus pulled out his little arrows. He had a foot off the ground, ready to take a step forward and swing for the face. Relax, he's not attacking. He put his foot back down and held the long sock out in front of him. "Neither of us got weapons. But I've got rocks in this, and she's got...sort of a knife I made."

So here they were, in a poorly armed triangle. Axel was looking at the crossbow bolts, wondering if there was something he could stick them through to slip between his knuckles. Nothing more than a thought exercise, because he'd only be getting those if Marcus was dead. There was another thought exercise to chew over; could he get Marcus killed somehow without upsetting the social dynamic with Anna?

"What I did get was a team list, with everyone's names and weapons on there," he added, sliding it out of his pocket and holding it up between finger and thumb. A list in need of an update. He needed to punch a hole through Marcus' dead best friend's name. Axel was shackled by common sense, though: it would tactless to start poking around for the name when Marcus was already seething. Maybe Anna would ask.

"So, question is, what's the plan now? Are we sticking together?" He looked between Marcus and Anna. He already knew what Marcus wanted; the same thing he did, to keep on going and get the fuck away from each other. But unfortunately, there was Anna's opinion to consider. Like some stupid Chinese fingertrap that ruins lives.
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

Best friend?

A face formerly animated had drained of color in the space of a few words.  She knew who Marcus was talking about.  She hadn't known Devonte all that well, but he was a friend of Anthony's.  Kind of a jerk.  But that was all.  Not enough to be killed, right?

But here was Marcus, saying otherwise.

Best

wish anthony was

Friend?  Christ.

here.

Then he was asking them to show their cards, and Anna held up the scissorshank in a loose grip, the dark cast still on her features.

Then Axel was asking what they would do next.

Gingerly, Anna moved to Marcus, resting her free hand on his shoulder.

"The..The team just got together!  We can't split now.  Bad form for the show, right?"

Some of the energy had come back to Anna's voice and face, but it was nowhere near the level she'd had prior.

"You alright with that, big guy?"  She asked Marcus.
Dr. Nic*

Post by Dr. Nic* »

Marcus just stared at the two of them for the longest time. While they spoke, he just stared at them. God damn, he just wanted to get rid of them and be done with it. At least, get rid of Axel. He could probably deal with Anna, but Marcus just did not like that prick. Didn't know him, didn't like him, and wasn't about to start. But Anna had apparently chosen him for a reason, probably because they were on the same team. Knowing Anna, Marcus wouldn't be able to just suggest they get rid of Axel and go on with the game alone. No, she would want him to stay. Marcus' hands were tied. Either go by himself, or take Anna and Axel. Neither choice was very appealing.

Why did it have to be Anna?

"Whatever. You wanna come with me, you're free to come with me. You want him to come along, then fine."

Marcus couldn't care less if Axel was going to join them or not. He'd prefer if he just fucked off somewhere on his own instead of following Marcus and Anna. But Marcus wanted to keep Anna there. Because no matter how annoying she was, no matter how fed up Marcus would probably become with her, Anna was all he had left really. She was the only one left who he really knew was there. Maybe Jaszmine was there, maybe she wasn't, but y'know what? Marcus hasn't seen Jaszmine. Marcus didn't run in to Jaszmine in the middle of fucking nowhere. Marcus ran into Devonte, and he ran into Anna. Both in the middle of fucking nowhere. Surrounded by little more than grass. Lots and lots of fucking grass.

Maybe, given enough time, they would find Anthony out here too. And Jaszmine, if she was here. Hopefully, they weren't dead. Hopefully Anthony really wasn't dead... and hopefully Jaszmine wasn't dead yet. Right about now, Marcus hoped to god she wasn't even here. As good as it would be to have a friend at his side, it just meant she would be in danger.

He found Anna, and he was stuck with her. And for now, at least, he was okay with that. He was okay with Anna.

But fuck everyone else.

"We doing this?"

It was only a matter of time before they got on the road. Only a matter of time till that next announcement came.

What would he say to them when his name was called out? How would he defend his actions? Well, it was best to cross that bridge when he reached it.
Flayer*

Post by Flayer* »

"Yeah," said Axel. This isn't going to last. Strength in numbers, that was the only thing keeping him here. He was wondering, though, at what point it would no longer be beneficial enough to justify sticking with Anna. No question, I'm gone the second we reach that point.

He looked up again to check the horizon. Still clear. It was dangerous to stay out here much longer, though. They were at the mercy of anybody with a gun. If anyone actually knows how to use one. Living in Detroit and watching SOTF-TV taught you that most people were not exactly the Lone Ranger. Axel considered the danger zone of any random shithead with a gun to be about thirty feet spraying and praying or about ten feet with a single shot. Even then, it was amazing how many people would miss their targets when they were close enough to slap them with their gun.

However, there was bad luck to consider. The only kind of luck. What seems to you to be good luck is nothing but someone else's bad luck having a positive side effect on you.

"We should get out of the open. Which way are you going?"[/i]
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

With Marcus agreeing with her and Axel wondering where they would go next, Anna seemed to disconnect from reality, at least for a split second.

She raised her improvised blade (no doubt that to her it was some grand, shiny rapier or something) in a random direction and struck a swashbuckler's pose.

"Then we're decided! All for one, and one for all! Or something! Porthos, D'artagnan! Let us away!" And then she was walking in the direction she had picked.

She stopped after a few steps, looked over her shoulder.

"Er...Unless you guys have a plan..."

((You guys can assume next post Anna moves out with you guys, wherever you go))
Dr. Nic*

Post by Dr. Nic* »

[Sorry for the delay. Been seriously out of it lately.]

Well, looks like things were decided. Anna was coming with him and whether he liked it or not, so was Axel. Marcus lost one friend, and drove off his team member, but it looked like they were going to be quickly replaced. One person who could find some way to get on his nerves and another who he didn't care to have hang around, but would put up with out of necessity. His second group seemed to be exactly like his first one. Marcus would still rather have Devonte and Anthony with him instead of Snowflake and Axel, but he didn't have much choice. It wasn't like he had a huge lineup to choose from and he probably wouldn't last on his own. It wasn't that he didn't have a choice in the matter. He did.

But the choice was already made for him.

That didn't mean Marcus couldn't take a hand in controlling what was going to happen with his little group. Like hell was he going to let that weird fucker boss him around, and he wasn't exactly keen on letting Snowflake lead either. None of them had really made up their mind as to where they wanted to go, or ever where they were going. And Marcus knew exactly where he was going, what he was going to do, and who he was going to track down. He just had to take charge and do what he'd planned on doing.

Walking. Lots and lots of walking.

"Fuck it. Follow me, and keep up. I ain't carrying either of you."

Marcus turned away, and started walking in the same direction he was walking in earlier, before he had ever stopped to eat, and before Anna and Axel had ever shown up. He still didn't know where exactly he would end up, or what he would do there, but as long as he was walking, things might end okay. Maybe if he walked far enough, or long enough, all this would pass him by and he would be home again. Maybe if he walked enough, he could see Devonte and Anthony again.

Maybe.

Maybe.

"Hurry the fuck up, I ain't got all day."

[Yellow #4 - Marcus Walker. Continued in Tainted Love.]
Flayer*

Post by Flayer* »

Axel said nothing and followed after Marcus as he started walking. Where they were going, who the hell knew? At least it wasn't the jungle again. Axel was still watching the horizon for movement. Straining for the sound of gunshots, screaming, some sign of something happening somewhere.

He was thinking about the viewers at home, picturing Laney watching the TV, watching for him. He'd barely be in it at this point. A bit player. The producers edited out the boring walking around parts, trimming to get the fights and the romances. Axel wasn't here to romance, and he was aching for violence. Hours after awakening on the island, and he hadn't even seen, let alone gotten into, a serious fight.

Here was where Marcus was handy, though. Marcus had already seen some action, had a best friend die in his arms. Anger was rolling off of him in waves, something Axel could almost feel. Marcus would lead them into a fight. Axel needed a fight.

And some more snacks, too. He was craving something salty. They needed to loot someone's bag. Remember the motto: pillage, then burn. He looked at Anna. Would she mind looting the dead? Yes. Was he afraid of pissing her off? No. Marcus was a different story. Axel guessed he would have to talk to Marcus, get to know him a little bit. Figure out what triggers he'd have to avoid to keep Marcus from beating the shit out of him.

But not right now...

<<<Axel Stadler continued on Tainted Love>>>
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

Anna was alone for a moment. Her two leading men were walking off without her. She was about to fall into step with them soon, when her stupid eyes started tearing up again. Again, she wasn't sure why. She wish she could have figured it out, but she was having no such luck.

Anna rubbed the tears out of her eyes with the heel of her hand, and jogged to keep up with the pair. Maybe her answers would be wherever they were going. Maybe there were no answers.

((Anna Hitchins continued in Tainted Love))

Return to “The Open Plains”