You Snooze, You Lose

Start of Cobalt Jellyfish 1; open!

In the small, cozy little town lies the Mauna Loa Condominium, a white building six stories high. Inside the building are all sorts of condos - from singles to family sized - all decorated in the cozy decorum of a tropical paradise. Each condo has a balcony to the outside and 12 square feet of space, all pre-furnished with polyester furniture.
backslash
Team Affiliation: Shiva's Sirens

Post by backslash »

Pia's frown deepened. She'd been just about to step between Paisley and the new guy, just about to tell him to step off and at the very least pick on somebody else who could match him for firepower, and then it turned out that she was the odd man out here.

"You said you already shot somebody today." She said finally, refusing to let her arms relax. "I've got no reason to trust a guy who goes around shooting people for no reason."

This was not turning out the way she'd hoped. Just when she thought she'd found a friend, Paisley was on the same team as the guy holding them at gunpoint, and she was a weepy mess on top of it. Pia was pretty certain that Paisley wouldn't attack her, but not completely certain; Paisley was upset and unpredictable right now, and if she decided to throw herself at Pia, Shady had just admitted he'd have no trouble pulling the trigger.

Slowly, she stepped backwards, just enough that Paisley was in her peripheral vision again. She'd taken down bigger, meaner guys than Shady, but they'd never had backup. Or a gun, for that matter.

"So, you got a reason? Or was the first guy's bandanna just the wrong color? Like mine?"
Ciel

Post by Ciel »

Paisley finally saw the color brown on the boy's arm for what it was

It did nothing to quell her fears. In fact, seeing the bandanna exacerbated them to such a degree that Paisley found it hard to breathe.

The boy's words were still vivid in memory; he had shot someone today, that could imply anything and that was what scared her. The fact that he didn't shoot Pia outright could be an indicator that it was in self-defense, but that contradicted the way he was dealing with Pia. His gun was the first one out. When he saw her bandanna, the boy turned his attention away from her... And then back on to Pia. He told her he was going to lower his gun but made no move to. And - Pia -

Pia moved, subtlety, in the corner if Paisley's vision.

Paisley could see the tells, even then. Pia acted back in school but she wasn't 'in- character' so far as Paisley knew. From the expression on Pia's face down to the way her body turned ever so slightly, Paisley could see it all, connect the dots.

Did Pia wanted to keep an eye on Paisley? Just in case she...

No, no, Pia didn't think...

Her heart sank.

Paisley turned back to the boy, her teammate, who had his gun trained on her friend. Eli's words rang in her head and she knew it was stupid but she couldn't let this happen.

"Guys, please, just," she breathed in, deep. "Just stop. We're all scared and confused, I understand, but - that doesn't mean no one has to get hurt."

As nice as the sentiment was, Paisley spoke in such a mousey voice that she wasn't sure they could even hear her.
The Honeless Beard
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by The Honeless Beard »

Matt heard the short girl's question, weighed it quietly as he held the Carbine pointed somewhere above Paisley's shoulder. He was fairly confident that she was full of shit, and that she couldn't shoot him. Then again, he was confident that the big motherfucker wouldn't try again after taking a bullet to the shoulder blade.

Paisley was pleading, a noise that buzzed in the back of his skull as he made up his mind. When she finished, he let the plea hang in the air for a moment before twisting his lips in an expression of exasperation.

"I gave him a few warnings before I pulled the trigger. He was looking to pull a Ruiz," he muttered to Pia. He avoided describing the giant - if Pia and Paisley knew each other, then maybe they belonged to the same club or school or whatever that the big fuck did. And he didn't need less credibility to his story.

"Listen, babe," he said to Paisley, his tone soothing, calm, eyes still on the pistol in his face, "I'm the only one in this hallway right now that has nothing to gain from hurting you. I'm not saying that shortstop will, just that I definitely won't. I've got an idea - a plan - to get us out of this alive, but I'll need you to trust me."

He lowered the carbine - slowly - and kept his eyes on Pia.

Your move, shortstop.
SOTF TV V3
ES12: Ivan Rodriguez - Co-Winner - "Just fucking fight me, man."
[+] Past Characters
SOTF TV V2:
BB3: Matthew Weiss - #Weiss is Schiesse - "I can say whatever I want in this signature, and you'll believe it's in my story." - DECEASED
CS3: Dougie Sharpe - Personal Responsibility - "You're going to wake up tomorrow, and still be you." - DECEASED

SOTF SC V2:
B06: Brandon Baxter - Brandone (ft. DJ KILLJI) - "Thanks. I lost mine in a gunfight." - DECEASED
G33: Kasumi White - 'Cause We Are Young And We Are Sick- He is not here. - DECEASED

SOTF TV V3
MM12: Maxine "Max" Schwimmer - Sink or Swim "Akeno, please." - DECEASED

International:
O25: Tarren Joseph - A Boring Dystopia- "You killed me." - DECEASED

Supers
Kincaid Rawlins - The Apocalyptic Rockfight- "Hello kitty sucks."
backslash

Post by backslash »

Yeah, nobody has to get hurt. Except they totally did, because that was the whole point of SOTF. Pia understood where Paisley was coming from, she really did. It wasn't like she woke up here going "Hell yeah, I wanna have a standoff with some big dude carrying a gun" or anything, but here she was.

"...Did he die?" Pia lowered the gun slightly, only slightly. "Cause I'll hear ya out, but I dunno how friendly I'll feel if it turns out you're plugging people this early. I'm not gonna sit around and cover my ears when you say someone's gonna have to die here, but I'm not crazy and I'm not stupid, either."

"So talk, Shady, and then I'll decide."
Ciel

Post by Ciel »

... Babe? Did he just call her babe? No one had ever called her that.

Paisley felt embarrassed, flattered and condescended to in equal measures. Part of her wanted to slap him. Mostly, Paisley just blushed and pretended he said 'guy' or 'lady' or just 'Paisley'. Anything but 'babe'.

The situation seemed to be dying down though, much to Paisley's relief. At least the boy was lowering his gun, which meant that Pia could easily do the same. She knew Pia wasn't the type to hurt anyone, not like this.

The stranger said he had a plan, said that he wouldn't hurt her, and for what it was worth Paisley believed him. She wasn't absolute in that belief but his voice held no malice. Considering the gun wasn't pointed at her.

But Pia. She couldn't forget about her. Paisley bit her lower lip. Puppy eyes were an understatement.

"Just..." Paisley sighed. "Just don't hurt her. Please. She's my friend."

She turned her head to look at Pia, hoping, praying that the boy would downplay everything.
The Honeless Beard

Matt suppressed the urge to roll his eyes at both of the girls, even as he smiled and nodded at Paisley.

"I can give you my word that I won't hurt her," he said, quietly. He looked at Pia, his eyes taking her in fully, before shrugging.

"I wasn't going to include other team members, but maybe it couldn't hurt if you two know each other. But I can't tell you here."

Matt glanced over Pia's head at the doors lining the hallway of the condos, a frown fixed over his expression. Too many ears, too many passengers on the boat already. He needed to keep this small, contained within his team, or it wouldn't work.

"I don't like the look of these doors. Come with me. Shorstop, mind using that gun to cover our rear?"
SOTF TV V3
[+] Past Characters
SOTF TV V2:
BB3: Matthew Weiss - #Weiss is Schiesse - "I can say whatever I want in this signature, and you'll believe it's in my story." - DECEASED
CS3: Dougie Sharpe - Personal Responsibility - "You're going to wake up tomorrow, and still be you." - DECEASED

SOTF SC V2:
B06: Brandon Baxter - Brandone (ft. DJ KILLJI) - "Thanks. I lost mine in a gunfight." - DECEASED
G33: Kasumi White - 'Cause We Are Young And We Are Sick- He is not here. - DECEASED

SOTF TV V3

International:

Supers
KamiKaze
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by KamiKaze »

Bella smiled back at Eden's grin. Well, even in spite of the noises, she was alright. Things were going at some semblance of normality, at the very least.

The noises got louder, as if people were arguing with each other. It had to be a small group, by the sound of things. Were people playing already? Well, from the seasons she had seen, sometimes people played right off the bat. Sometimes they didn't last too long, other times they made it to half-way, and rarely did they make it to the end. It was really about luck and how they went about things.

Bella found herself further regretting she didn't check her bag to see if she got anything decent. A small handgun would do in getting player-types away, or maybe a dagger. Even some of the joke weapons could be used to defend themselves. As it stood, though, she might as well be weaponless.

But her curiosity continued to gnaw at her.

"I'll go look", she offered, her voice still low.

Maybe Eden would turn out to have something good in case something happened. She didn't know for sure.

Bella gently tiptoed towards the door a few feet away, and peeled open the door, staring through it.

The hallway stood in front of her, as the voices became more clear. A masculine voice that sounded familiar, and two feminine that didn't. She looked to one side, and saw nothing. The next side however, she did see something just a few feet away.

Matthew Weiss was talking to two girls, who had to be from the other school. Talking? Well, guns were involved, that was certain. One of the girls had some kind of handgun, while Matt had a much bigger gun.

There was a lot of potential for something to happen.

Multiple times while watching the show, she would find herself wondering why people didn't act, and simply froze. But now she understood. She had no idea what to do, or anything.

Internally she kept screaming at herself to get back inside, to tell Eden what was going on and to wait it out until they go away. The rest of her was unable to move. Dimly she was aware of gripping the handle with her hand, the blue bandanna faintly in her vision.

She wanted to slam the door closed, and curl up somewhere until the guns went away.
backslash

Post by backslash »

Much as Pia wanted to, she couldn't argue that standing in the middle of the hallway wasn't the brightest idea. She finally allowed her arms to relax, lowering the gun and straightening up.

She jerked her chin at Matt. "Fine, but you go first."

Pia picked her backpack up from where she'd dropped it after pulling out the gun and slung it over her shoulder. She glanced at Paisley as they gathered themselves up; she already felt like a jerk for doubting her friend, and the tears weren't helping.

"Stick with me, Pais, since it doesn't look like you've got any firepower. And... sorry. About kind of freaking out and all." She hadn't exactly freaked out, really, but it was the closest she could come to explaining her momentary panic when she'd realized that Paisley and Matt were teammates.

Teams were supposed to trump any prior relationships here. Pia got that, just like how family was always supposed to come before friends even if you didn't particularly like some of your family, but then there was something else about blood and the water of the womb, and nobody was really sure whose blood you were talking about. Also Pia was pretty sure that wombs didn't fill with water. The point was that she and Paisley had each other's backs at Whittree, and she fully intended to have Paisley's back here too, come hell or high water.

She could only hope that Paisley felt the same and that Shady didn't, at least enough that he'd think twice before pointing the gun at Paisley again. Not that Pia would mind clocking him upside the head if he gave her a reason. For now, though, he could keep on acting like top dog, and maybe his plan wouldn't be half bad.

No way to know unless she gave it a shot, and nowhere to go but forward anyway.

((Pia Malone continued in Fear and Loathing in Tiki Land))
Will*

Post by Will* »

Eden was going to offer to investigate the source of the noise, but before she could open her mouth, Bella had already made her way over to the door. She took a few steps towards Bella, ready to assist her if she needed any help. Whoever it was out there, she hoped they were friendly. Although, judging by the shouting, they probably weren't.

Eden chewed on her bottom lip as Bella stuck her head out of the door. She knew that whoever it was shouting wasn't anywhere near them but she couldn't help but feel that something bad was going to happen. There could be someone else just around the corner, ready to pounce. Or if the people arguing had a gun, there would be nothing from stopping them shooting at Bella if they saw her.

Bella didn't even bring her weapon with her to defend herself if something happened. Eden tightened her grip on her chair just in case Bella needed her. It wouldn't do much against a gun or a knife, but it was better than nothing.

As Bella’s head continued to linger out of the door, Eden began to get curious. Perhaps she could see the group who were arguing, or maybe something else had caught her attention. Whatever it was, Bella seemed pretty fixed on it because she wasn't moving. Releasing her grip from the chair, Eden took another step closer to Bella, all the while wringing her hands.

“Bella?” Eden said quietly. “What’s happening? What can you see?”
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Will. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
The Honeless Beard

((Following a conversation with Ciel and backslash, this post is out of order.))

"Okay by me," was Matt's response, as Pia turned towards Paisley. Matt stepped to the left, checked his gun, adjusted the bag on his shoulder. Slight movement down the hallway had his head raising, frowning down the corridor.

A door was open a crack.

Matt raised his sunglasses from his eyes, checking to see that Pia and Paisley were still preoccupied as he studied the door briefly, putting both hands on his gun, squeezing it slightly as he watched for further movement. When none came, he relaxed slightly, stepped backwards.

In case someone was watching him down that corridor, he threw a wink out, slid the sunglasses back down, and turned on his heel.

"Don't be idiots," he began as he headed towards the stairs, "and keep a lookout. I don't want to be shot before we can figure this shit out."

((Matthew Weiss, Fear and Loathing in Tiki-Land.))
SOTF TV V3
[+] Past Characters
SOTF TV V2:

SOTF SC V2:

SOTF TV V3

International:

Supers
Ciel

Post by Ciel »

Listening while keeping her gaze averted, Paisley allowed herself a brief look at the boy. He was staring on, though his look made her curious. She turned to look at what he saw.

... was someone there? The door was cracked but that could mean anything. Did he see something she didn't?

He was smarter than he looked, she considered. Had there not been a rifle in his hands, Paisley would have pegged him as a 'bro', someone with an inflated ego but no brains in his head. That was going off his hair and clothes, not to mention his abrasive behavior. But now, it actually looked like he knew what he was doing.

Paisley didn't know what to think.

The boy started walking away, leaving Paisley and Pia alone. She sighed, then turned to look at her friend.

"I will, I'll stay with you." Paisley said to Pia.

She made a move to leave, but then she remembered something.

"Oh!" She spun her head around. "Wait, I left my bag. I'll only be a minute!"

Paisley quickly ducked back into the room. She returned soon after with her bag, closing the door behind her. The broom pole was tucked through the loop at the top and the keychain. She tested it with her hand, and gave a nod when it kept steady. Good, it wouldn't fall.

"Pia." Paisley placed her hand on her friend's shoulder. "You don't have to apologize. We're on the same team, true, but that doesn't mean I trust him. Let's just follow him for now, hear what his plan is. Then we can decide what to do."

Paisley smiled sadly.

"Tucker's on the island too," she admitted. "And right now, other than him, you're the only person I can trust. I'll look after you, too."

Paisley knew Pia trusted her. She also understood that if it meant living, Pia was going to have to go. Her heart ached, thinking about that.

"Friends stick together, right?"

(Paisley Hopkins continued in Fear and Loathing in Tiki Land.)
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Eden was behind her, whispering urgently about what was going on. But Bella didn't reply.

She wasn't sure what exactly the conversation was about, but by the look of things Matt and the two girls were making a move to leave. One of the girls, the muscular pink-haired one with the gun, had picked up her bag as if she were about to head out, and-

Matt was looking right at her.

The grip on the door handle got even tighter as he lifted his sunglasses as if to get a better look. The other girl, the one with the orange ponytail, followed his line of vision. Her legs quivered when both hands were placed on his gun, expecting the worst.  But after a few seconds, he relaxed some, taking a few steps back. Matt winked, put his glasses down, and turned.

Bella heard him calling out to the other girls about not being "idiots", and the ponytail girl ducked into one of the rooms, only to return with her bag. She didn't have a gun, but what she did have was a broom. That had to have been her weapon, then.

The three of them left.

Bella felt her heartbeat stop racing, and became aware of the tight grip on the handle. She firmly closed the door, making a louder noise than she had wanted.

They didn't do anything. She wasn't sure if they would have done something if she or Eden had stepped out all the way. But they saw her. It was lucky she wasn't shot or worse.

Taking a deep breath, she released her grip on the handle and turned to face Eden.

"Sorry, I froze up", Bella said, rubbing the back of her neck with her other hand. For a brief moment she felt the collar on her neck, only giving her another reminder of what was going on.

"It was Matt and two of the girls from the other school. They had guns, but they're gone now."

Bella wasn't sure if she should tell her that Matt seemed to notice she was there. It would only worry her more if she did, and it didn't seem like they were coming back up. Then again, she could be wrong in that guess, or the two of them could go downstairs only to see them again.
Will*

Post by Will* »

Eventually, Bella closed the door and turned back to Eden. She revealed that the people outside of the room were two girls from a different school and someone called Matt. The way Bella said it made it seem like it was someone they knew. There were several Matts back at school, but Eden vaguely remembered seeing Matt Weiss when they were all being briefed about the new SOTF-TV season in the large room. He was a jock, quite athletic and if he had a gun then they were lucky they didn't run into him.

“At least they didn't see us. I wouldn't want to mess with anyone here who had a gun, especially people we don’t know.”

When Eden finished talking, her eyes began to wander. Something dark blue tied around Bella’s wrist caught her attention. She could make out a symbol of a jellyfish on it which made Eden realise it must be Bella’s team bandanna. Her heart sank the longer she stared at it. This meant that it would be nearly impossible for both of them to make it out alive. Unless one of them killed ten people, but Eden couldn't see herself doing that and she’d like to think that Bella wouldn't either.

“I guess this sorta makes us rivals now doesn't it?” Eden said glumly whilst pointing at Bella’s bandanna then looking down at her own.  
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Will. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Bella found herself smiling again. This time, however, it was the kind of awkward smile one would make when hiding something. She didn't want to worry her more than what was needed. They left, anyways, so it wasn't an issue, right? Unless they came back up, or were still downstairs, or something along those lines. Matt was big, and a football player. With a gun, they would be sitting ducks, no doubt.

Then Eden mentioned something about rivals. It took Bella a few seconds. Was she referring to the fact that there was going to be killing? She was pointing at her wrist, and looking towards her own.

The bandannas, she realized. Bella's was blue, and with a jellyfish. Eden's, however, was purple, and while she couldn't make out the picture, it was clear that they weren't on the same team.

Teams she only briefly thought about. It was a mechanic she wasn't too fond of last time, but once Eden brought it up the implications finally dawned on her. Teams meant that if either one of them were to survive to the end at all, it was likely going to be just one of them, if even that. Sure, there was the chance of them going with an escape plot, or a major collar break like in Season 60, but it would take a bit of luck for that to happen. And then there was the other option.

The other option put a small pit in her stomach even just thinking about it.

It was kind of eerie, knowing that the two of them were technically opposed. There was going to be a time where Eden would live knowing what happened to her, or Bella would know how Eden would die. And then there was the face she saw in the crowd. She didn't want something bad to happen to her. Bella wasn't sure what she would do if it did.

Bella paused, trying to think of what to say. Finally, she found something.

"Teams aren't everything", she began racking her brain. "People have won other ways."

She wasn't sure what else to say, but a soft whirring noise got her attention. Looking up, she could see a small red light on the wall, close to the door. For a second, she looked back into the lens, her hand reaching up to smooth her hair. Her gaze went back to Eden.

"Oh, is it alright if I look through my bag? I haven't had a good look."

Bella put another smile on.
Will*

Post by Will* »

Eden gave Bella a faint smile when she responded. She wasn't too pleased with her response, as Eden was sure Bella was suggesting killing ten people. Perhaps she didn't know Bella as well as she thought she did if she was considering that option. Even if they did both go for that option, both of them wouldn't be able to make it out. Eden was sure that the rule only applied once and then once someone made it out that way, it was back to winning as a team. The thought of it was bumming her out, so she had to put the thought at the back of her mind and think about the present.

In response to Bella’s question, Eden gave a nod. Whilst Bella was occupying herself, Bella spun round and slowly drifted around the room. Her eyes then fixated on the door Bella had been looking out of. She was curious to see what was out there, so she walked towards the door and opened it just enough to fit her head through the gap. She stuck her head through and scanned what was outside the door. She had already gathered this by looking out of the window in the room, but the rows of door that she saw in the corridor pretty much confirmed they were in some sort of hotel.

From what she could make out there were no people nearby, so she opened the door fully and stepped out into the corridor so she could get a better view of her surroundings. A hotel would be a popular spot for people to visit which meant that sooner or later someone would find her and Bella. It wouldn't be wise to stick around here any longer than they’d need to.

“Do you think we should get out of here soon?” Eden called to Bella.

Return to “Mauna Loa Condominium”