Speedy Thing In, Speedy Thing Out

The East Wing's second floor housed the Freshman Year (9th Grade) homerooms. Once, Sycamore High School's youngest students roamed these halls and filled them with the sound of unruly antics. Now, though, they are barren of life and as silent as the grave. The homerooms on this floor are empty; tables, chairs, study materials, the belongings of the students, even the whiteboards, all missing—as if someone deleted everything not otherwise nailed down and many of the things that were.

Moderator: SOTF: Cyber Staff

Anderson

Speedy Thing In, Speedy Thing Out

Post by Anderson »

ZANE WILCOX START

Well, I didn't want to go to class today...

Zane mused as he plopped down in a room that had managed not too get trashed. A room with...

...portals?

Like, from that game? What the...? Well, I got a gun from HALO, so...

"Whatever..."

But the room was empty. Nobody was in here trying to kill him, like Zeph...

Fuck you, Zeph...

...had said they all would have to try. So, aside from the idiotic decision to fire one round off through the open portals (leaving a hole in the wall behind him, to his amusement) Zane had decided to hide out here. Utility camouflage active, he mostly sat, wondering if he could actually just hide out through the game. Or, well, until someone figured out something that could be done. Because, well, waiting and hiding sure beat killing people (and definitely beat being killed).

So, he sat, waiting...and wondering if one of the portals was going to move or vanish.

I mean, it would at least be...interesting...if I was able to barge in through a portal to somewhere else, wouldn't it?
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

ERICA STOHL - GAME START

Erica didn't really know what was worse, running away in some silent hallways hoping nobody with a video game was going to shoot her, or running with a very blatantly obvious weapon in her hands and being mistaken as the bad guy immediately. She didn't really have any experience wielding...

...whatever this unwieldy large thing is, but she knew it was dangerous, and maybe it might just give her the edge in the intimidation department. Just enough for someone to listen to her, maybe?

Maybe she should start by going a bit loud, just to show that she's not a threat? She went near one of the classrooms, leaned herself against the door, and decided to charge in, shoulder first, hoping to break the door down.

CRASH!

Good news, she got in the supposedly empty classroom.

Bad news, it did not break down. The door was just slightly ajar, so she came crashing in and falling.

"Ow! Shitshitshit... OW!"

It wasn't a good way to fall either, since her gun... weapon... object of mass destruction, took both her arms to operate, it almost fell off of her arms. When she recovered from the pain, she stood up in a panic and shouted out loud to the empty (or so she thought) classroom.

"Alright! Nobody move!!! I come in peace!"

And that was when she realized the worst thing to do would be to point a gun at someone and say you came in peace, and there happened to be a boy sitting somewhere in the room.

"Uh..."
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

Shit. Does this thing even work?

Zane sighed, stood up, and...accidentally pointed his gun at the ceiling as he raised his hands to also indicate he didn't mean any harm.

"Uh..."

After a moment of frozen panic, he dropped his gun...thingy...with a loud crash as he tried to process whatever it is she was carrying. Fortunately it didn't go off (that would just be annoying), but otherwise Zane found himself cringing.

"...so...hi, Erica?"

Beat.

"How...are...you doing?"

How the fuck do you greet someone in a fight to the death game, anyway?
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

"...Hey Zane. I'm uh... not... dead?"

He wasn't about to kill her, right? That would be nice. That would be great. She should probably point this thing somewhere else. The way she carried the weapon was like a minigun, but it definitely wasn't that. The fact that it had a tank suggested it was quite possibly a large flamethrower, but Erica didn't know anything about these things, let alone how to use them properly.

"...Sorry about barging in. I woke up alone in the hallways and how long have you been here?" she trailed off to a question, her meticulously crafted avatar's pupils twinkling slightly from the highlights she specifically placed there as her brows furrowed. She only just realized that if Zane was here and he was alone, that might mean that no one else was here.

Then she noticed the portals. From that game.

"...And why are those things there?" she pointed. "Did you do that? Is your gun the portal gun?"

She only realized how dumb that sounded after it left her mouth. She often said things before properly thinking about it. "Wait no it's not, yours is some sci-fi military gun."
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

Zane thought for a moment. "I don't actually know how long I've been here. I wasn't really keeping track. But it's been...a little while?"

He pointed at the box that was with him. "I don't know if I have this turned on, but it's supposed to be some sort of cloaking device." He drew a cloaking device and a gun, which - well, it was two useful items.

"And that...was here when I got here. Two portals." Pause. "I figure if we wait here, one will move to somewhere else?"

With the gesture to his gun, Zane shook his head. "No...yeah...it shoots bullets. I test-fired one through the portals..." He gestured with his head to a hole in the wall.
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

Erica glanced at the portals, her brain trying to figure out... something. It gave up halfway, unfortunately. She wasn't quite good at those puzzle games as she would've hoped.

"How long have you been here? You didn't see anyone? Like, did some bozo make these portals? Are we like, alone in this place?"

She's already shotgunning her words, having a habit of speaking before she thinks. She begins walking around, checking the place out, having already ruled Zane out as a threat.

"What about the tables? Anything underneath? Secret stashes? Something like that? Anything? Maybe there's a glitch we can use to log out or... something?"

She'll probably keep talking. It's how she relieves stress.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

The first few questions of the torrent get a shrug. The portals were there when he'd gotten there.

"Someone was...probably here earlier?" he suggests.

Looking for loot boxes, however...

"Might as well try?" he asks to the suggestion, and starts pushing on parts of the wall, trying to be systematic about it. Who knows...maybe there will be a secret panel or something cool like that.
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

"Listen, Zane. You're cool, so I was thinking if this place is empty, we build a fortress while we figure out how to--"

She pauses for a moment.

"...Wait, you saw someone here? Were they fighting you?"

They wouldn't right? Would people really go into the whole killing your friends thing as soon as they were kidnapped into some bizarre death game?
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"...Wait, you saw someone here? Were they fighting you?"

"No, no..." Zane rolls his eyes and sighs, trying to explain it...again. "I'm guessing that someone got a damned Portal gun and was here earlier. They were gone when I came in."

Beat.

Change the subject back to the...other question...

"Yeah. A fort would be a good idea."
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

"Oh. Alright, cool."

She was glad nobody was killing anyone, at least. That she knew of.

"Uh, we should check the other rooms, then. Maybe the roof? Get a good vantage point for our gu--"

She only just realized that her weapon probably wouldn't do so well as a sniper.

"...Um, Zane. Dumb quesh, but... You don't happen to know what uh... I have, right?"

She shows him the extremely large flamethrower.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

Zane looked over her...thing.

"Not a gun. Did...did it come with a manual?"

Stupid question, but his gun had one...
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

"Um..."

She never actually... checked.

"Listen, when you log in with a big gun near you, you generally don't wanna let it go, right?"

She does, though, for now, put it down and open her contents to find an instruction manual for, and that's when it hit her, an actual...

"...Flamethrower!? Whoa... that's... Uh..."

She couldn't decide if it was useful, dangerous, or perhaps, both.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"...hot?" Zane suggests, deadpanning it.

"Yeah, I can't blame you. We both got big guns."

Beat.

"So, where do you want to set up? You know, in case somebody else comes along?
PlatFleece

Post by PlatFleece »

Erica thought for only a moment. She had never been the strategizing type. Neither in games nor in real life, so she relied on her movie knowledge and pop culture osmosis, and in most movies, the high ground was always the best place, right?

"How 'bout the roof? We'll be able to get a good look around."

She felt quite proud of that.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"The roof?"

Zane paused for a moment.

"Didn't...they..."

He pointed at the sky, in reference to whomever it was running this "experience"/

"...say something about the roof being a danger zone or something?"

Return to “The Empty Classrooms (East Wing 2F) [DANGER ZONE]”