"I tell my piano things which once I used to tell you"

Open

While less well-known than the Mall Of America across the river in Minneapolis, the Promenade is a local bastion of commerce in its own right. Three stories tall, it's home to clothing shops, department stores, electronics boutiques, collectibles vendors, and all the typical mall offerings. It sports a sprawling food court, which opens on one side onto an alley popular as a place for the underage to smoke without being hassled by authority figures. While it lacks the Mall Of America's indoor roller coaster, it does feature an ice-skating rink, and has recently opened a VR center. Many students spend free time (and money) at the Promenade, and many of those who work hold jobs there, as the stores are always on the lookout for anyone willing to accept just above minimum wage.
Carrion Queen

"I tell my piano things which once I used to tell you"

Post by Carrion Queen »

((🎹 Paul Smith continued from now that you are broken by the seas, in the depths of the waters 🎹))

Paul sauntered through the mall with a bouquet in one hand and a Starbucks cup of black coffee in the other. AirPods Max covered his ears, leaking out a faint guitar riff that no one could hear over the din of the crowded mall. On this particular day, he wore a dark brown, plaid vest over a white button-down shirt. His pants were black but became wider the further down they went, with the material at his calves looking billowy until it came to an abrupt stop, tucked into black combat boots. A gold necklace with a locket in the shape of a rose hung low around his neck. His usual black eyepatch covered his right eye and his blond hair was held in a low ponytail with his bangs framing his face.

As Paul approached the entrance of Nordstrom inside the mall, he noticed a grand piano. Carefully, he lowered his headphones so that they hung around his neck. Sometimes malls or other public places tried to class up the joint with a piano, he'd observed. Whoever was normally there wasn't currently at their post. A small sign on top of the glossy surface indicated in a curly cursive that the player was on break.

Paul walked up, pulled the bench back, and sat down. He placed the bouquet of multi-colored daisies on the lid and set his leather messenger bag to the side. Paul took a deep breath and touched the keys without applying pressure.

There was something very calming and beautiful about the piano. Every note was laid bare in front of him in the keys; it was an instrument that invited you to try and discover its secrets. He had a keyboard at home, but it wasn't the same as an acoustic piano that let him feel the notes reverberating in each finger.

He played a few notes -- deep ones with his left hand and with the other hand, a little melody -- then stopped abruptly. Paul drained the cup of coffee and put it on the edge of the piano lid. He took out his pack of Post-Its and scribbled a message before slapping one on the cup.

FEELING TIP-SY? I'LL WRITE A SONG ABOUT YOU.

He looked down and restarted the piece. It was a wistful tune cradled by a booming undercurrent that weighed it down, like someone fighting to confess their feelings. He stepped on the right pedal, elongating the notes to fit his flair for the dramatic. Paul felt his pulse lower and his body enter a trance as he translated Wojciech Kilar's darkly sentimental music through his digits.
[+] May you find that which shines and learn the power of miracles.

The only thing I've ever been proud of was describing the setting sun as "daylight's falling star" in a recent Supers post.

Supers
Ximena Rodriguez: "Everything is just a matter of time."
International
Soraya Martinez: "Need a translator? I'm pretty good."
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

((Rebekah Hayes pregame START))

Rebekah liked malls. Sure, they were destructive monoliths of steel and glass, surrounded on all sides by dead patches of asphalt and concrete, as far from her preferred environment as it was possible to get. But they were a form of nature in their own way.

Bees had hives, termites had mounds, ants had hills - places that they built for themselves and transformed into strange, labyrinthine structures buzzing and teeming with life. Human malls were no different. People were going to and fro, passing in and out, going about the activities of commerce. If you stood still enough, you could actually feel the building vibrating from all the footsteps.

Rebekah liked to pause and watch sometimes. She usually did it from the upper floors, looking down upon hundreds of humans going in and out of shops for hundreds of reasons. People were looking for gifts, for food, for comfort, they browsed for new phones and new clothes and new toys. What they mostly shopped for, though, was new selves. To be the popular kid with the cool new phone, to be the trendy girl with the expensive top and cute shoes, to be a middle-aged mom who Still Had It with a blowout and a mani-pedi.

Today, though, she wasn't paused. She was part of the flow, breezing along from store to store. Everything, she noted, was a great deal redder and pinker than usual. It was February, which meant that most people were shopping for romantic selves. Rebekah walked past various stores, all of which were selling accoutrements for the very complicated rituals of human mating. According to Hallmark, she could attract a mate with focus-group-tested sentiments inked inside glittery cards. Sephora opined that she could do it by being fierce and fearlessly Herself, which she'd accomplish by slathering crushed-insect dyes on her face until she looked like someone else. A series of languorous Victoria's Secret mannequins suggested - probably not entirely incorrectly - that she could do it by simply being a woman without any clothes on.

Greeting cards, flowers, candy, and jewelry. True love, pouty lips, crew neck sweaters, Starbucks. All of them were clamoring for Rebekah's attention and the two grubby ten-dollar bills in her pocket, but they were not going to get either. She wasn't here for anything Valentines-related.

Rebekah's dad was turning thirty-eight tomorrow. He didn't particularly like gifts, but she always got him one anyway. Nobody else ever did, and it didn't feel right to let him go without anything. He was a pretty good dad, after all. But she never knew what to get him, and usually settled for wandering around the mall browsing until something called out to her. Hmm. Maybe she'd get him a winter hat at Nordstrom's? It could get pretty cold this time of year, and they were having a sale.

There was a piano outside the store entrance, and Rebekah initially paid it no mind, but then paused for a second, realizing that she recognized the pianist. He was a human from school who played music at parties a lot. She didn't know his name, but had privately always thought of him as "Space Pirate," because he had an eyepatch and wore these really weird red boots that made him look like Astro Boy from the old cartoons. He was pretty good, she thought? She didn't really have an ear for music, but everybody else seemed to have a good time when he played.

Shoppers, annoyed, bustled around her. She was an island in a sea of people. She gravitated towards a nearby pillar, where she'd be out of the currents of commerce. From here, she could hear the song more clearly. Space Pirate was in his element. His fingers danced across the keys, playing a deep, emotional tune. At first blush the wistful notes seemed out of place among the cheery hearts and candy displays crowding the rest of the mall, but somehow it just... worked. It felt right. She couldn't really explain why. Space Pirate was good. Really good.

There was a Starbucks cup sitting on the piano lid, which presumably belonged to him. It occurred to Rebekah that this could be a decent way of discerning his actual name, or at least a barista-mangled version of it. She squinted, making a letter P, and nothing else. The rest of the name was obscured by a Post-It Note asking for tips and offering personalized songs in exchange.

Rebekah pondered the note for a moment. She had never really wondered what a song about her might sound like. But now that the prospect was in front of her, she kind of wanted to know. Just a little.

She withdrew one of the bills in her pocket and edged forward slightly.
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

Paul reached out without looking up. The last note he played stretched out around them rather than cut off abruptly due to the pedal his foot was resting on.

He gently put his hand over hers before she was able to deposit the money in his cup.

"Wait," he said, only just loud enough to be heard. He finally looked up and smiled cheerfully. Paul dipped his head slightly as if doing a very small bow.

"Don't give me anything yet. If you like it, then you can. If you really like it, maybe you can give me something else."

He didn't know much, but the girl had an interesting look about her. And he knew she was a cheerleader at school. Paul removed his hand and returned it to the piano. He began instead playing a simple and jaunty rendition of "Heart and Soul." The tune sounded a bit stiff, like the piano had been turned to one of those automatic presets to attract people. Paul looked up as if thinking and not paying great attention to what his fingers were doing.

"Rebekah, right? Paul. Tell me a little bit about yourself, and I'll go off that."

The only thing I've ever been proud of was describing the setting sun as "daylight's falling star" in a recent Supers post.

Supers
International
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

Rebekah tensed up as Space Pirate reached out and took her by the hand. Her fingers twitched around the bill, her mind flitting across several self-defense techniques which could break his grip, his wrist, and, if necessary, the piano. It took an active effort not to do any of them - which was kind of the point of self-defense training; if the various strikes and moves weren't second nature they'd be pretty ineffective in an actual emergency. But Space Pirate was only technically Aggressing On Her Personal Space here.

Wait. Don't give me anything yet. If you like it, then you can. If you really like it, maybe you can give me something else.

Rebekah pondered that last bit as he released her hand. She wasn't sure what else she was supposed to give him. She hadn't actually done any shopping yet, and the only things in her pockets were the essentials - wallet, keys, phone, and bear spray. She supposed she could give him a winter hat like the one she was buying for her dad. She could get him a red one, to match his Astro Boy boots. Or a coffee from Starbucks, since he'd already finished his. That'd probably be cheaper than giving him the ten dollars, anyway.

"Sure! I'd be up for that," she said brightly.

She watched, her blue eyes dancing with curiosity, as Space Pirate switched to a livelier tune. The first song had been slower, more melancholy, with plucked notes and significant pauses that made the music linger in her heart. This one was like a stream, constantly moving. It was... Oh! It was... that song. One of those tunes that everybody knew but didn't know that they knew. She'd probably heard it a hundred times in a hundred different contexts, but she could only ever have identified it as, "That one that kinda goes dun dun dun, dun dun-duh-dun-dun-duh-duh, dun dun dun, duh-DUH-DUH-DUH-DAH-DAH, dah, dah, dah-dah-dah-dah-dah." It probably had a name, and was really important in pianist circles. Pianists probably thought very little of anyone who could only describe it with a series of onomatopoeic syllables.

Space Pirate looked up at her, as if reading her thoughts. But instead of calling out for her ignorance, he said, Rebekah, right? Paul. Tell me a little bit about yourself, and I'll go off that.

Oh. He knew her name. She felt a deep pang of shame for not having known his. She hadn't always paid attention to the other humans at school, in same way that she didn't pay attention to individual fish in a shoal. But Space Pir- Paul had bothered to learn her name, and she hadn't twigged his, even with the helpful P on his Starbucks cup. The disparity made her feel keenly self-conscious. Which was ironic, since his subsequent request for biographical information caused her to abruptly forget every single fact about herself.

"Oh. Um... I'm Rebekah," she said, and mentally kicked herself. He already knew that. It was the only thing that she knew that he knew about her.

"I, uh... I'm a senior." He probably knew that too, since they were in the same classes. Good grief. "I, uh... I'm a cheerleader. And... uh... I really like animals. My dad works for the parks service, and we always go out hiking and stuff, so I love nature a lot, and in the summers I cut grass over at the graveyard, and, um... I'm here to buy my dad a hat?"

The last bit probably shouldn't have been a question. But, well, that happened. She looked at Space Paul, somewhat embarrassed. She felt like a kid who'd just given a book report on a book they hadn't read, except in this case the book was her own autobiography.

"Is... Is that enough?"
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

"I can definitely work with that," Paul said thoughtfully. He closed his eyes while his fingers continued to plink plonk out "Heart and Soul." He swayed his head back and forth slightly while thinking.

Paul swiftly shifted and began playing a simple but bouncy melody in the style of 1950's Doo-Wop music. His voice was smooth with a sort of youthful innocence in his tone.

"In cheerleader garb, with a spirit so bright
Rebekah tumbles and flips to such heights
Adores all critters from kittens to owls
She laughs with the dolphins, dances with fowls

Rebekah Rebekah, the cheer queen of glee
Favors all animals from aardvark to bee
Blue eyes like oceans, dark hair, midnight’s embrace
A forrest resides in her heart’s sacred space

She loves lions, bears, tigers so grand
Even pandas in a faraway land
Might be channeling a cheetah recently
Because she wants to be spotted near me"

At this, Paul tilted his head towards his shoulder coquettishly.

"Rebekah Rebekah with a love so vast
for creatures big and small, from first to last
Hiking with dad through snow and the heat
She walks to her own unique kind of beat

With a humble pianist she shares a word
In the bustling mall where stories are heard
A hat for her father, a token of love
Rebekah’s adventures, like wings of a dove"

For the first time since their interaction he stopped playing. Paul looked up expectantly for feedback.

Supers
International
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

Rebekah didn't know what to say. She'd been rooted to the spot throughout the entire song, not moving. Listening intently. After that line about cheetahs, he turned to look at her, and it gave her thoughts. Well... not thoughts, exactly. Beginnings of thoughts, motes of ideas, pictures and concepts that didn't really coalesce into anything of substance. Birds-of-paradise, flaring hindquarters, bowers and pebbles, mousesong, and a hundred other things. She'd done her best to crowd them out. Hadn't wanted them distracting her, pulling her out of the moment. She'd wanted to just bask in the experience, like a - no, not like anything. Like herself.

So Rebekah had stood there, Rebekah-like, as the song continued. She was still standing there now. Unmoving, transfixed. The song faded away and the ambient sounds of the mall flooded in to take its place - the aural equivalent of a wave sweeping away a beautiful sandcastle. She didn't want it to go. She tried to reel it back, stuff as much of the performance into long-term memory as she could - but in no time at all it was ghostly and distorted, slipping away, sundered further by her clumsy attempts at recall. She filed away whatever little bits of the beautiful moment she could salvage. It wasn't much, just a few snatches. It hurt a little.

Just then, a thought hit her like a freight train. Her cell phone was in her pocket. She could have recorded it. Kept it. Her dad would have gotten a kick out of it - once she'd answered a barrage of questions to prove that Paul was just Paul, and not some big-city creepazoid.

Speaking of Paul, he was looking at her. Expectant.

Wordlessly, she pulled out the ten-dollar bill and deposited it into the cup. It was still slick with a thin film of coffee that came away on her knuckle. After a moment of thought, she pulled out the second ten-dollar bill, and put it in with its cousin. This time, she was careful to keep her hand caffeine-free.

It didn't feel like enough. "Wow... that was... I can't believe you came up with that just on the spot!" The words were upbeat, but a little tinge of melancholy crept in. Because, yeah... it had been really good. And it had been improvised, and he'd probably never be able to repeat it, even if she went to the ATM and filled his cup to the brim.

"Seriously, that was so, so good!" She wanted to say more than that, but it was hard to get the words out. All the proto-thoughts she'd stuffed away were ballooning up, making it hard to find a coherent thing to say. A lot of the thoughts were about chameleons and wobbegongs.

"I... um... Th-thank you."
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

Paul shifted and put his hands under the stool he sat on, scooching it so that he faced Rebekah instead of the piano. The last note still reverberated around him, and he could feel the air buzz with it. He held his breath.

She put more money into the cup.

There was something about her gaze that made his own soften. He felt the heat of a blush warm his shoulders, fan across the bridge of his nose, creep under his eyepatch. Paul bit his lip but despite that attempt, an untamable smile spread his lips.

"Welcome," he responded, his voice deeper than usual, deeper than he had meant it to be. "I had a good muse," he said with a hint of embarrassment despite a voice telling him not to, that it was far too cheesy and she would hate him for it.

Looking at her made it feel like there was a feedback loop, where the more she appreciated him, the more he appreciated her, on and on until his head felt fuzzy and they were the only people in the crowded mall, bustling with people looking to buy something that would secure another person's love. His fists clenched and his fingers intermingled.

"Then if I can have something from you -- if it's not too much trouble -- find me in a few days at school and give me a valentine. Write it yourself, if you want, and that'll be a fair exchange," he said, coupled with an unsuppressable smile.

Supers
International

Return to “The Promenade”