Teaser # 3: Limbo

This board contains important information for SOTF: U.

Moderator: SOTF U Staff

Shiola
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Teaser # 3: Limbo

Post by Shiola »

Limbo
Dr. Sycamore didn't like this place.

Unless prior authorization had been given, very few of the staff ever traversed this side of the base. It had a bad reputation, and was known for housing Janus-Hayes’ most closely guarded secret. The northernmost extreme of the Janus-Hayes Research and Development Campus was home to the most enigmatic of the site’s four repurposed nuclear silos. While the other three launch facilities were re-designated according to their stated purpose, the fourth was lacking in any official designation; the employees and contractors at the facility simply referred to it as Silo D.

Unlike the other refurbished complexes, there was scarcely any of Silo D that remained above ground. Approaching the facility, one found only a fenced-off field and a few squat, featureless concrete buildings. One of them occupied the space above the former launch silo, and was fitted with imposing blast doors. The second was only a short distance away, and had some cursory signage indicating it was an auxiliary entry point to the facility.

Even with the trust granted to him by virtue of his role as the director of Survival of the Fittest - Janus-Hayes’ other best-kept secret - it had been made clear to Dr. Sycamore that his own authority ended at the heavy steel doors of Silo D. Here, he was merely a guest.

The Supervisory Board had appointed Dr. Erin Finch to supervise all of the research that went on inside, and for all intents and purposes, it was her domain. Sycamore had heard talk among the bureaucrats that not even the Board fully understood what was going on inside. The entrance to the facility was surrounded by security cameras, though there was a conspicuous absence of armed guards posted at the doors. There were whispers among the rest of the base staff that security had largely been turned over to automated systems, which could be relied upon to operate without conscience.

Sycamore tried to avoid visiting if he could afford to, and had only seen the inside of the facility once. Once was enough.

Unfortunately, Dr. Finch rarely left the facility during the day, and they needed to talk. Her correspondence in the last few weeks had become scatterbrained and chaotic, and she was prone to concerning fits of mania and paranoia. She wasn't yet thirty, and yet had been tasked with altogether too much responsibility for any one person, regardless of their experience. That she had baked the admin office a plate of muffins might’ve seemed cute to everyone else, but Sycamore couldn’t help but see it as troubling sign.

Approaching the sliding steel doors to the complex, Sycamore paused to look over his shoulder. It remained as deserted as it was last time. He could’ve sworn there were personnel formally assigned to secure the facility, but he never saw them patrolling the grounds. Swiping his ID badge past the card reader, he waited as the blast doors slowly slid open, revealing a small antechamber with another set of heavy doors.

Stepping inside, he noticed a red LED flicker twice next to a security camera on the opposite wall.

After a tense moment, the doors behind him closed. A voice echoed out from a small intercom.

“Good morning. Looks like you're on schedule, Dr. Sycamore. Do you have a pacemaker or any other medical implants?”

“No.”

“Have you experienced any cough, cold, or flu symptoms in the last twenty-four hours?”

“Nope.”

“Are you currently experiencing any trouble sleeping, cognitive dysfunction, or thoughts of self-harm?”

“I am not.”

“Alright. Please place all of your personal items in the tray on the conveyor beside you. That includes your shoes, belt, watch, keys, and anything else in your pockets. If you have a phone with you it will be returned when you exit. Close the notepad in your hands and place it face down on the conveyor belt beside the tray alongside your pen. I also need you to place your ID badge on the tray as well. Once you’ve done so, proceed into the airlock. You’ll hear a set of tones and then a burst of air. Keep your mouth open while that’s happening, it helps with the pressure change. Do you understand?”

Dr. Sycamore looked back at the camera, and nodded warily. “I understand.”

“Go on in.”

Dutifully, he emptied his pockets onto the small plastic tray, alongside his belt and loafers. Reluctantly, he folded his set of notes and left them on the conveyor belt. Though he trusted the security personnel, it still pained him to let such frank observations leave his immediate possession. As soon as he’d finished, the airlock doors slid open and the conveyor belt quickly whisked his belongings through a tiny, void-like door.

Stepping into the airlock, he noted the next set of cameras which no doubt followed him as he entered. These were the same models that would be employed on Severniy Norin. Proprietary devices meant for use in hazardous conditions, they were supposedly quite difficult to disable. Where most security cameras looked like small black orbs, these were more reminiscent of compound eyes than anything else.

The airlock was excruciatingly well-lit, with walls and flooring that seemed to be made of the same featureless alloy, curved at the edges without a seam joining them together. Adorning the sides of the small room were dozens of small sensors and outlets, all surrounding what looked to be small vents. As he stood inside of a small red square stenciled onto the floor, he felt a light hum through his socked feet, as if they were starting to fall asleep.

Sycamore knew the locations of every guard post, every checkpoint, every hidden camera and microphone in the main offices. Some of the other Silos had partially automated sentry guns. In many respects, the Research and Development Campus was a more secure facility now than when it hosted nuclear warheads.

Nevertheless, he had no access to anything that went on inside Silo D, beyond what Dr. Finch allowed him. Unknown variables were typically exciting, but less so when he was standing in a hermetically sealed metal cube. He desperately wanted to know what kind of a gun was pointed at his head at that moment.

The man’s milquetoast tone almost put Sycamore at ease as he spoke through the speakers again, as it seemed like this was only one of many dull tasks in his day.

“Alright, you’re clear.”

A loud set of three low-pitched tones signaled the airlock was beginning to cycle. Puffs of sterile-smelling air burst from the vents, and Sycamore winced as his ears popped. Silently, he cursed himself for ignoring the voice’s advice. The opposite door slid open, and he was greeted by a small, well-lit lobby.

Instead of a security guard in tactical armor, Sycamore noticed a tall, fit young man in a nondescript brown jumper manning the nearby security desk. The ID Badge on his shirt read Alan Fields - Systems Ecology, which gave Sycamore pause. There used to be actual security guards here.

The scientist looked up from behind a thin set of glasses, his face largely unreadable and the reflection of the screen in front of him only barely visible. His thoughts were assuredly elsewhere, Sycamore supposed. Next to the desk, the conveyor belt with the small tray of Sycamore’s belongings sat nearby.

Alan wordlessly nudged the tray in his direction, and Sycamore gradually began drawing out his possessions. A faint whiff of ozone lingered in the air from the inside of the tray.

As he was looping his belt back onto his pants, he took stock of the antechamber-like room around him. Behind the desk was a large set of elevator doors, set into a smooth concrete wall. A set of steel chairs against a nearby wall were positioned as more of a formality than anything else, as he couldn’t imagine anyone needing to linger here for very long. One of the monitors on the desk scanned through a wide selection of video feeds, including numerous cameras Sycamore was sure he hadn’t noticed on his way in.

His gaze lingered on a menacing-looking shotgun that sat within arm’s reach of the scientist at the front desk. A bandolier of brass-cased shells was affixed to the weapon, tipped with copper-jacketed lead slugs. A similar weapon had been issued during the first Survival of the Fittest test run; he knew without any speculation that this weapon could punch a fist-sized hole in a man’s chest.

Sycamore pointed it out as he finished slipping his feet back into his loafers. “That’s new.”

Alan let out a blasé sigh. “Yeah.” Obvious he wanted to say more, but knew better. “Doctor’s orders, I guess. Here’s your ID Tag back. You’re clear down to Level Four.”

Sycamore raised an eyebrow at the nonchalant reply, but didn’t press any further. “Thank you. Umm - where can I find Dr. Finch?”

“Level Four. Observation. Take a right at the end of the hallway, it’s the first door on your left after that. If you find a door your card won’t open, you’re in the wrong place. And don’t try one more than three times, or it’ll lock you out and I’ll have to come down and fix it.”

Nodding wordlessly, Sycamore stepped past the desk and into the waiting elevator. Where many of the other refurbished Silos displayed their heritage in the occasional patch of exposed wiring or rough concrete walls, the Company had spared no expense in refurbishing this facility. Every square inch was clean and excessively utilitarian, painted a bright white that gave it an almost clinical atmosphere. While the elevator was clearly built for oversize freight, it was nonetheless immaculately maintained.

At least as far as the buttons on the elevator were concerned, the complex extended a full ten levels below ground, all excavated well beyond the original size constraints of the missile silo. It didn’t take long to reach the fourth floor, the last one he could reach without a physical key to slot into the elevator’s panel.

While it had been under construction as a sealed laboratory complex long before her and her work had taken over the facility, extensive modifications had taken place during Finch’s tenure in the last year. What he’d been able to glean from the materiel and requisition documents he’d seen indicated a mixture of creature comforts and extensive security upgrades.

Walking the long hallway through the fourth level of the facility, he felt an uncomfortable stillness in the air. Something here felt more oppressive than the weight of all of the concrete and steel. There were no auxiliary personnel, no guards, and not a single piece of equipment or unlocked door visible. Normally on the campus he could overhear small-talk interspersed with indecipherable academic jargon; this place was dead silent, save for the steady hum of the HVAC systems and his footsteps on the polished concrete floors.

The path came to an abrupt end at a divergence. Sycamore stared up at the wall in front of him.

L4 // CLEAN LABS

One stenciled arrow pointed right, indicating the Observation area. The other pointed in the opposite direction.

LAB ENTRANCE // BSL-3 COMPLIANCE BEYOND THIS POINT

Nodding to himself, he turned right and pressed further towards the Observation area, in spite of his natural curiosity.

In this case, the penalty for contravening the wall's strict instruction wasn’t just a fine or academic reprimand. Officially, none of them were really here. It was at least part of the reason the senior staff all used pseudonyms. Regular disciplinary measures carried little weight in this place. The nature of the Projects supervised by Dr. Sycamore and Dr. Finch meant that extralegal means had to be employed to ensure compliance and confidentiality. No one could know what they were doing out here, and the consequences of their discovery would extend far beyond mortal danger to a few misguided individuals.

It wasn’t written down anywhere, but they all knew the penalty for breaking the rules. Some more acutely than others. There were ways to compel loyalty without being overbearing about it, though. This was the kind of work he’d been doing for the better part of thirty years, and in that time Sycamore had refined his methods and smoothed the creases in his own conscience. Part of his duty was at the very least setting a good example to his subordinates regardless of the fact that he was, in most cases, above the rules. So far, Sycamore had been able to avoid personnel issues in this iteration of Survival of the Fittest. Hard lessons were learned from last time.

Finch on the other hand, had no such experience, and took a very different approach; one he found himself ultimately at odds with, more often than not.

They’d been friendly at first, when the Board had introduced them. It wasn’t until they had been cleared to peruse the others’ research that the dynamic had catalyzed into what it was now. For different reasons, they’d both had strong reactions to the truth. What he had read that day had made him feel quite ill, if not downright terrified. Her own reaction was apparently much the same, and their mutual discomfort had endured ever since. Unfortunately the circumstances had put them on an even footing; both were indispensable to the Board because of their work.

For that reason, Sycamore had been told in no uncertain terms that she was the only member of the leadership team that he couldn’t liquidate if necessary.

Sycamore swiped his keycard against the panel outside of the door marked Observation, and stepped inside. It was less an observation lounge and more of a lab in its own right, with a large array of computers and desks surrounding the periphery of the room. A long, heavy desk sat directly across from the far wall, which was mostly occupied by a massive window into the sealed Clean Labs. Though the lighting in the Observation area had been dimmed, the Clean Labs themselves were lit exceptionally well, casting the silhouette of Dr. Finch against the delicate procedure going on inside.

Though he made no attempt to enter the room quietly, she didn’t turn to face him at first. Her attention was transfixed on the two lab assistants working in hazard suits and respirators on the other side of the glass. Though he’d read about it, there was nothing quite like seeing this work in person.

As he watched the technicians operate, all of the precautions he’d noted on his way in suddenly seemed to be intensely rational. The stillness in the air he had felt was caution. Intense, instinctual focus.

And she spent every day here.

When they’d first met, she was a colorful, intense person with a habit of rambling about her research. The kind of bright young person that lit up a room with their enthusiasm, who couldn’t help but reignite the passions of others in doing so.

While the tattoos that poked out of the cuffs of her labcoat and the collar of her shirt remained, she had since abandoned braids and colorful bandanas for a short, tight ponytail and the dark circles of sleeplessness under her eyes. Only when he stepped closer to the desk did she glance at Sycamore, offering a curt nod before turning back to the task at hand.

Inside the Clean Lab, one of the technicians looked up from her work towards the glass, and nodded, pointing to her instruments and offering a thumbs-up. Her voice carried through an intercom system, hooked up to the hazmat suit she was wearing.

“It looks like we’re seeing positive results here too. If I had to guess I’d say we’re seeing a six, maybe ten percent increase.”

Finch pressed a button next to the microphone on her desk, and replied in a cheery voice. “Great, but we’re not here to guess, right? Can you guys confirm that?”

The technician looked over to her colleague, who had his hands decidedly full at that particular moment, before replying nervously. “Uhh… well, Lucas and I would need to go through and verify each one individually-”

“-which will take a while.” Lucas chimed in.

“-y-yeah, so we’d need to go through a few more samples to be comfortable with a precise figure.”

Finch smiled warmly, and pressed down on the intercom button again. “It’s okay my dudes, we’ve got plenty of ‘em. Take your time, there’s no rush at all here. You’re doing great, Katie. Both of you are. Remember what we talked about. This is all new, and there’s nothing wrong with being cautious.”

“Thanks Erin.”

Katie looked to Lucas, who locked eyes with her for a moment before turning and looking back towards the glass, offering a steady thumbs-up. “Yeah, thank you. We’ll get it done, and uhh… we'll be cautious, I promise.”

Sycamore couldn’t see their faces, but he could tell they appreciated the encouragement.

Nodding, Finch clicked save on the files on her laptop, closing it before turning and glaring at Sycamore.

“Hi.”

He gestured at the technicians through the observation window.

“That seems like a very delicate procedure. I hope I’m not catching you at a bad time.”

“It is, but they know what they’re doing. Besides, I told you to show up earlier today, didn’t I? It’s fine.” Without waiting for a reply, Finch turned back to the intercom.

“Alright guys, looks like my meeting turned up. I'll be out for a few minutes, but you're good to press on without me. Just be thorough. Once you’ve got the samples slotted in the dock for analysis, we’re done in there today. Get outta those suits and just relax for a bit. We’ll grab lunch. I wanna hear about those soup season plans, Lucas.”

Chuckling came from inside the hazard suits, and the technicians nodded.

“Okay!”

“Works for me!”

Her smile was genuine, even if they likely could barely see her from inside the lab. Sycamore couldn’t help but notice how fleeting this side of her seemed to be, now. “Thanks guys. Cya in a bit.”

The smile dropped away slowly as she gathered her notes, leaving the laptop on the desk as it had been bound to it with a heavy steel cable. She was significantly taller than Sycamore, and moved in a hurried way that seemed in intentional disregard of her surroundings. Instinctively, he felt the urge to take a step back as she stood up, as if he might be caught in the mess of this person by sheer proximity.

Folding her belongings under her arm, she motioned haphazardly towards the door. “My office. Let’s go.”

Following along, Sycamore couldn’t help but offer a compliment, hoping in vain that there was something to mend in this working relationship. Keeping it light wasn’t easy with Dr. Finch, but it was hard to know what other cards to play.

“You know, you’re really good with them.”

She kept a steady pace, not looking back to Sycamore as she responded. “Well, they’re great. Postgrads, y'know? I was always better at field work, but those two really know their shit, they're the real lab techs. I’m mostly there to do the paperwork and keep an eye on things, but I try to encourage them when I can.”

“Well, don’t downplay your talents. Leadership isn’t a quality that comes naturally to many people, but it definitely suits you.”

Finch snorted, brushing a loose strand of hair out of her eyes before shooting back a sarcastic reply. “Well Iain, it helps that I actually care about them.”

She liked to try to get under his skin. He ignored the subtext.

“That’s a good point. Building an environment of trust and mutual support between our colleagues is a necessity if we want to accomplish our goals.”

“...I guess so.”

They stepped into the waiting elevator, and after a moment Finch reflexively produced a carabiner of keys from under her lab coat.

Staring at the key slots for levels 5-10 for a moment, she shook her head and remembered where they were headed, before nonchalantly selecting 1. As she clipped the carabiner back to her belt, he caught sight of what looked like a holster strapped to her waist.

Seeing her fumbling, he couldn’t help but wonder where she really was right then. Knowing her, it was a toss-up between a daydream or a waking nightmare. He tried to bring her back down to Earth a bit.

“Oh! I almost forgot. Thank you for bringing those muffins to the office. Amber brought me one, they were lovely.”

Turning to face him, Finch seemed to stir from her thoughts, brightening up at an alarming rate. “Were they? I’m glad. Mom’s old recipe. I’ve never been able to get it just right the way she used to do it. Been baking in my dorm more. Makes it feel more like home, heh.”

She lingered on the thought for a moment, before catching herself and turning back to face the elevator door. It slid open moments after, and she immediately darted off up the hallway.

Sycamore let out a quiet sigh, before following her up the long concrete corridor.

1/2
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

The Powerhouse

An imposing brick building with twin chimneys and several large factory windows. This was the location of the island’s power generators and fuel storage tanks. The inside is bare and has little furnishing, being mostly dominated by the decrepit generators. The massive fuel storage tanks are mostly empty, though they still reek of fuel. Dozens of full, unopened drums of fuel oil sit idle in a storage room beside the main generator hall, with several others scattered throughout the facility.
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

KS-23

Description: Soviet-manufactured riot shotgun, originally made by using rejected 23mm anti-aircraft gun barrels. The bore is the equivalent of 6.27 gauge in American nomenclature, significantly larger than traditional twelve-gauge (18.5mm) shotguns. The recipient will find it issued with buckshot Shrapnel-25 shells, which are devastatingly effective at up to twenty-five meters. It uses a pump-action, with a magazine capacity of three shells in the magazine with an additional shell in the chamber.

Note from the Armorer: You won’t believe who I had to bribe to get this thing! A six gauge shotgun, isn’t that crazy?! The Reds sure knew how to make a boomstick. It’s heavy, sure, but you’ll still want to hang on - she packs one hell of a punch. - Terry
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

The small nameplate on the door read:

Dr. Erin Finch // Administrator

She paused in front of the door, placing her palm on a small plastic panel beside it. The panel lit up briefly, and the door popped open with a mechanical click, as the biometric lock disengaged. Sycamore followed, caught off-guard as only half of the lights in the room lit up on their entry. Looking up towards the ceiling, it seemed that half of the bulbs had been unscrewed. It seemed fitting.

Inside, it looked like more of a workshop than an office. Notes were tacked almost everywhere on the walls, exploding outward from a whiteboard that clearly had not been large enough. Anatomical printouts were layered atop a small display case of preserved bones, tissue, and resin-encased fossils. Finch had evidently moved the desk she had been provided to the far side of the room, where it was occupied by a laptop, several empty coffee mugs, and a binder with large classification warnings posted to the front of it. The center of the room was occupied by a stack of filled notebooks, fallen across a set of maps covering various sections of the far north. On the opposite wall from her desk sat a large L-shaped sofa, which was littered with pillows, a half-open novel, and a large fuzzy blanket. A pair of well-worn slippers sat nearby on a pile of textbooks, which had partially fallen onto the room’s shaggy, coffee-stained carpet.

Alarmingly, a large assault rifle was leaning idly against the far end of the sofa; a pair of metal brackets on one of the walls indicated what must’ve been its usual position. Sycamore had scarcely registered the presence of the weapon when he noticed Finch slip off and toss her lab coat onto her desk chair, revealing the presence of yet another firearm. He cleared his throat, and pointed to the pistol strapped to her hip.

“Is there a reason you’re armed? I can’t imagine that’s a standard procedure in a facility like this.”

Finch looked down to the weapon and shook her head, before turning back to her desk and opening a small mini-fridge underneath it. “You haven’t been down here in a while. Since the incident last month, I uhh -”

She trailed off, reaching inside and producing an energy drink, which she promptly cracked open and poured into one of the many empty mugs on her desk.

“-I decided to implement some additional security measures, I guess you could say.”

Motioning towards the rifle on the couch, she took a sip of the energy drink from her Janus-Hayes coffee mug, on which she had scratched out several letters to spell anuses instead. On closer inspection, Sycamore noted that she had done this to all of her Janus-Hayes mugs, evidently using a knife that had since been embedded in a far corner of the desk.

He set down his notes on the couch, pushing aside a discarded sweater and a pile of textbooks before sitting down. After an awkward pause, he offered what seemed to him an obvious solution.

“You know, we have actual armed guards. Men who are trained to deal with incidents. Wouldn’t that be erm… safer?”

Finch rolled her eyes as she took another sip of the energy drink.

“Yeah, nah. Not one of them are cleared to see the inside of this place anymore. Besides, if I need to shoot something, I’d prefer not to have to ask permission.”

He couldn’t argue. She was a better judge of the risk here than he was.

“Fair point. Your man at the door didn’t seem like he minded having the extra protection.”

The fondness in her eyes said a lot. She did care about them.

“Alan? He’s solid. Strong opinions about socialism and IPAs but he doesn’t complain about door duties too much. If I had a few more people like him I might actually get some sleep at night. Today’s his day - the Systems Ecology crew are on front desk duty this week. Since nobody shows up here, it’s sort of a day off more than anything else. Well, almost nobody.”

“You know your team.”

“With what we’ve got down here? I have to. Plus it’s not like they’ve given me all the staff I actually need. Small crew for a facility like this. But when the first qualification is discretion, that kinda thins the list of candidates a bit.”

“You seem like you’re getting along just fine here. Your team is still on schedule, at least.”

She leaned back on the edge of the desk, letting out an exasperated sigh. Although Sycamore implied she was ahead of the other departments in preparing for Survival of the Fittest (she was), it didn’t seem to bring any sort of relief. He’d expected as much.

“In spite of our staffing issues. This should not be something only a few dozen barely-qualified people study in a hole in the ground. Christ, I didn’t even finish my PhD. There has someone else better suited to run an operation like this. My old supervisor would’ve been perfect, ‘cept he had to go and,” she held up air quotes, “commit suicide.”

“Erin, you know we didn’t have anything to do with that.”

“No I don’t. Yeah, it’s plausible he just did it himself, but you can forgive me for not trusting Janus-Fucking-Hayes.”

Finch absent-mindedly took a sip from the empty mug before realizing she had finished her energy drink, and set it down next to the others.

“God knows why they trust me.”

Sycamore smiled, and offered a genuine response. Though he didn’t have to ply her with compliments, he did feel like some of what she did genuinely merited them.

“Well, your dedication for one. They don’t have to buy your loyalty. They know as long as the work is here, you’ll be right alongside it.”

The facility belonged to her and her work, as far as the company was concerned. The potential value of it outstripped several of their defense divisions, and could even compete with their current pharmaceutical R&D in revenue if they were successful, and only if it remained a secret. So the company would funnel resources and acquiesce to strange demands so long as the work continued. It was the price of her exclusive contract, and her discretion.

As the silence grew, Sycamore couldn't help but look around the disaster of an office. For all of their sakes, he hoped the company’s faith in her was rewarded.

Finch had slumped into her desk chair, and had started idly carving up the empty energy drink can with a nearby pocket knife. After slicing a star out of one can, she paused and turned to him, staring up from dark circles under her eyes. Sycamore wondered how often she slept here, deep underground.

“Well, here I am. It’s your meeting. What do you want?”

“Well Erin, it’s nothing so particular. More of an overview, I wanted to see how things are coming along, now that we’re a month out from the experiment.”

“I don’t owe you progress reports.”

“Actually, you do. At least for SOTF, but I already got those. I’m here to check in on you, more than your work.”

“Oh?”

“You don’t seem well.”

Finch sneered. “I’m doing just fucking great, can’t you tell?”

Sycamore continued plainly. “I just want to reassure you that you’re supported in all of this. That if you have any concerns, or if you’re feeling unsure about what we’re doing, that you’re comfortable addressing it out in the open.”

Maybe he could’ve been more direct. Someone else might not have read the subtext, but Finch quickly saw through his attempt at displaying concern.

In this case, setting her off was very much the point.

She dropped the knife and the jagged, mangled can onto her desk and sat forward. Whatever chaos raged in her mind seemed to coalesce into a venomous, implacable frustration, which she promptly hurled towards him. It was preferable to the knife.

“Actually? Is this a joke? There are… fuck, there are so many ways the Project could fall apart. So many moving parts, so many ways this could go wrong, and you’re wasting your time on what, a fucking wellness check? Don’t you have better things to do?”

The Director’s icy demeanor showed little sign of disturbance, save for the slight nervous tapping of his left foot against the carpeted floor.

“Among all of the reasons this won’t work, nervous breakdowns and disloyalty among our staff are chief among them. That’s why we rotate technicians so often, that’s why we’re so keen to not let the left hand know what the right hand is doing, aye?”

He sighed, taking off his glasses and cleaning them on the hem of his jacket. “Except, you and me, we don’t have the luxury of not seeing the full picture. It’s almost too much sometimes, I know, I’ve been there. Pressure over time can break the best of us, so I want to make sure you’re not struggling with all of this.”

Her knuckles cracked. It looked like she wanted to hit him.

“I see. Is that what you’re worried about - that I’m buckling under the weight of the truth? Another weak link, like Fournier?”

In a way, she did. Sycamore stopped tapping his foot, and fell still.

“I didn’t say that.”

“You implied it.”

Startlingly, the mask of the professional academic gave way to a different sort of detachment. Forced. Sycamore’s voice wavered.

“What happened to James was regrettable, but we had no other choice. He tried to go public with our findings. If he succeeded, it would’ve been catastrophic.”

“So naturally, you killed him.”

It hurt to think about, though not as much as he thought it would when it first happened. Professor James Fournier’s work formed most of the theoretical basis behind Survival of the Fittest, with Dr. Sycamore’s support. The man’s brilliance was peerless, far beyond others in his field, though he suffered from a variety of emotional problems.

Ultimately once the material and human expertise was finally in place to test his hypothesis, he became entirely preoccupied with methodological concerns that hampered their progress significantly. By the end, his self-destructive moralizing had nearly brought the entire enterprise to a halt, and threatened to put their original lofty goals forever out of reach. It could not be allowed to continue.

So, Sycamore had answered the very reasonable concerns of the Supervisory Board with an elegant solution, one that would allow James to at least participate in the culmination of his life’s work.

Sorrow spread on his face as he recalled his colleague’s fate.

For a second, at least.

His response was glib, as if he’d heard a dark joke and wasn’t sure whether he should laugh. The truth was, the further away from it they were, the funnier it seemed to him in retrospect.

“Well… Strictly speaking, I didn’t kill him. We gave him a chance.”

“You threw him into a deathmatch with a bunch of convicts.”

“Aye. It was the best chance he was going to get after what he did.”

“I’m not going to throw my life away. I’m not like him. ”

“No. You’re not. For one thing, James and I were good friends. More importantly, I don’t get to decide what happens to you-”

“-or my team.”

“Or your team. The Board does, and as far as I can tell they think you’re irreplaceable. Given what I’ve seen going on down here, I’m inclined to agree. That’s - if you’re willing to listen - actually my point.”

“Go on.”

A chance, perhaps, to help her understand. Sycamore had felt the tenor of the conversation beginning to strain his limited patience. Yet, Finch’s attempt to get under his skin actually provided him with something of an answer.

He continued, wary still as his Assistant Director picked up the pocket knife again and resumed carving pieces out of the energy drink can.

“Look, I could take over Fournier’s work because he was expendable, and because I understood the fundamental concepts. The other teams are building off of your research, but we both know they’re playing with fire. They don’t have a clue where the data really comes from, nor do they care. You’re the only one who’s been with this since the beginning, and one of the few here who seem to appreciate its implications. It’s fair to say no one else is qualified or prepared enough to take over if we lost you.”

Dread tinged his closing argument.

“That doesn’t mean the Board wouldn’t try to find a replacement if they felt it was necessary. That’s why I’m checking on you. That’s why you’re still here, isn’t it?”

She nodded, as she carved a small crescent out of the can. “I guess so.”

“In the wrong hands, it would be a catastrophe. One that I’d be helpless to stop. So it’s in my best interest that everything here is going well.”

Perhaps it was the recognition of the burden she carried, or being open about his self-interest, but Finch seemed willing to finally oblige his request.

“Right. Yeah, okay.”

She set the knife and can down on her desk, and produced a small journal from a nearby drawer. Before he could continue, she was already going through a small checklist of handwritten cryptograms in the journal.

“Well, we’re - yes, we’re on schedule. It’s different on my end. I’m not just waiting for the guns to show up or throwing bunnies into the AIS to make sure it’s turned on, there’s a lot that’s not in our control, here-”

“Erin, thank you, but I wasn’t asking about that. What did I start with? You don’t seem well. I’m asking about you. How are you holding up?”

She stared across a messy office at a man she despised, dismayed to find her only true confidant. A sad chuckle escaped her lips as she set about untying her ponytail, and fixing her hair as she spoke. It seemed impossible for her to sit still, to not have some kind of mundane task at hand.

Sycamore adopted a more relaxed posture, mirroring her by fidgeting with his glasses once more.

“Alright Iain. I’m obviously strung out. It’s been months since I’ve seen my partner. He keeps asking when I’m coming back, it’s just him and the dog at home. I can’t tell him anything more than he already knows, so when we talk I just try to ask what he’s doing and reassure him that I am actually coming back. I’m sure it sounds hollow. As I was telling you, my team’s solid but the work scares them. So we take our time and I go easy on them when they fuck up. There’s a general perception around here that this isn’t the kind of job you leave on two feet.”

“What do you tell them?”

“Well y’know, I didn’t say directly that if one of them even looks like they’re gonna tell the world what we’re doing down here, I’d have to put a bullet in them and then order the rest of the techs cart them off to the cremator. I don’t have to say much - they know the stakes, given what we’re up to. Most of the time they’re just excited to be working on this shit.”

“And you?”

At first, she didn't respond. This sort of self-reflection was clearly exhausting, as she had obviously made desperate attempts to do anything but. The image of herself that stared back in the mirror must've seemed twisted, given who she was before all of this. Sycamore remembered how she seemed when they first met. The perfect stereotype of an eco-warrior, some junior academic who had no idea how far over her head she was. Still believing passionately that there was a high road through all of this.

Now, he watched her get up and begin to anxiously tidy the office, picking up the heavy assault rifle she kept nearby and placing it on the ad hoc gun rack installed above her desk.

“I was excited about it. Especially when they gave me this place. Then the Board called me in, showed me the work you and Fournier did, and I watched the first tests. Said they wanted my work to be a part of it. After that, it became a responsibility. Now I think that I need to get this done, and get it done right, so at least I can get my life back. It’d be a lot easier if I knew we weren’t sending a bunch of people off to die to do it.”

The thought hounded him regularly, but he knew how he felt about it. In truth, based on the projections that Fournier and himself had used, the death toll from their inaction was of far greater consequence. The loss felt by the Participants was a pittance, compared to what they were up against.

Sycamore couldn’t help but reply reflexively, realizing almost immediately that he had made a mistake.

“You know why we’re doing this, why we have to.”

Finch rather violently slammed a textbook into place on a nearby bookshelf in response.

“Jesus fucking Christ, does that make it easy for you?!”

“What if I told you it did?”

“I’d say you’re a fucking sociopath, but what do I know? You're the psychologist.”

She’d crossed the room to stand only a short distance away, her fists clenched. Still. Sycamore shuffled uncomfortably in his seat, taking a deep breath before continuing. For what it was worth, she seemed to note his discomfort and backed down slightly.

“I’m sorry we don’t see eye to eye. It wasn’t my suggestion to work together. I didn’t know about your discoveries until the decision had already been made. Since it has, though, in my opinion, only makes sense. We’re both carrying the burden of what we know. The company only cares about money, but what we’re doing is so much more than that. ”

“Don’t compare what I’m doing to your battle royale bullshit. I’m doing this because someone has to, but I can’t figure out why Survival of the Fittest exists. I’d like to believe you are going to find an answer in it. It’s not impossible. Or maybe, you just get off on it, and you’re using Fournier’s research as an excuse to kill people. I can go either way.”

Sycamore cringed at the insinuation. Was it so hard to imagine he had merely set himself aside, here? That he had explored every alternative, only to come to this course of action? No one else in his position, with his knowledge, would have done otherwise. He wanted to think it wasn’t just years between them that made it so hard to see the value in all of this.

Then again, she did see some value in it. Sycamore stood up, and gathered his notes. They’d had this argument before, and it was clear this was going nowhere.

“I do believe I can learn something. And so do you, if the reports you have been writing me are any indication. I’ve been reading academic writing for most of my life - lap reports, statistics, theses, doctoral papers - I can read enthusiasm. You are being given a blank cheque to operate with basically no oversight and as many resources as you could possibly need, on top of being paid a small fortune to do so. It’s exciting, isn’t it? Tell me, is it fear that keeps you up into the early hours of the morning, or anticipation?

Finch stared back at him, once again clearly on the edge of another outburst. Surprisingly, instead of shouting back at him, she took an unsteady breath and sat down at her desk, idly reorganizing the mess atop it once more. Chaos and conflict seemed to be a strange sort of comfort to her. In a sense, it was hard for Sycamore to imagine a more appropriate person for this task, though perhaps not the most efficient one.

She didn’t look up as she replied. “If I feel like I’m going to snap, I’ll head on over to the range and punch holes in paper until I feel better. Or I’ll go to my room and drink until I pass out. Either way, I’ll take care of myself. Thanks for stopping by. We’re done here.”

Sycamore nodded slowly in acknowledgement, then made for the door. Just as he’d grabbed the handle, he turned back, as if he’d only just remembered something.

It was frustrating to look back on the last hour and how nervous he’d been for this encounter. Realistically, the greatest risk this person posed was collateral damage, more than anything else. Still a risk, but not like the others. There was paranoia, but little ambition. If he was patient, he knew she could be managed. Maybe that was the most infuriating part. Did she know how strong her position really was?

He turned back and watched as she pretended to be engrossed in another thoughtless task, ignoring him. It would have been remiss of him to not reminder what kind of enterprise she had involved herself in.

Once again he adopted a somewhat cheerful demeanor, knowing full well how transparent it would have seemed.

“Oh by the way - we assigned Dr. Garuda and Dr. Leander to supervise directly from the monitoring station on the island, in case of signaling issues with the ship.”

Her eyes met his again, clearly alarmed. He continued.

“If you like, I could make sure there’s space for you too.”

“I...”

“You don’t need to worry, it’s quite safe. Gardner’s team are well-prepared, and we’ve got the AIS set up to protect the installation. Are you sure?”

She looked past him, towards the display case on a nearby wall. The implications of what he said seemed difficult to parse.

Then, she surprised him.

After a moment, she shook her head, and reached into her desk’s top drawer. Producing a small case from the desk, she set it aside before retrieving the sizable handgun from its holster on her thigh. She set it in front of her and unloaded it, before methodically disassembling it down to its component parts.

A disquieting look of contentment spread across her face as she worked, cleaning the mechanism with a small brush. It was as much of a response as the words she spoke.

“Nah, you can’t get rid of me that easily, Iain. See the thing is, much as I’d like to catch a glimpse of Survival of the Fittest up close, there’s some heavy equipment on Frontier we can’t operate from the island. So I’ll be supervising it directly, from the ship. I’ll be there with you, watching the feeds and monitoring the data that comes in. It’s okay though, really. We can make it work. I’m sure we can talk sometime between now and then and like, figure out the best way to share space. Set boundaries, discuss communication strategies, all that good HR stuff. I won’t step on your toes, and I promise, I’ll try my best to keep my workspace tidy. We can’t have stuff rolling around on the ship, after all.”

“What sort of equipment?”

Pulling the barrel out of the handgun’s slide, Finch held it steadily in front of her face. She looked through the rifling, and seemed happy to see it gleam in the fluorescent light.

“I’ll explain in my next report. I guess you could say they’re…”

She set the barrel down, and folded her hands in front of her on the desk. Calmly.

“Safety measures. Just in case.”
SOTF: U
Evan Keane: "I guess my world was always gonna end, somehow."

SOTF Supers:
August Hanlon - "This never felt like much of a Gift."
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

Dr. Erin Finch
Assistant Director - Survival of the Fittest
Director - *******

Name: [CLASSIFIED]
Pseudonym: Erin Finch
Certifications: University of Toronto, Honours B.S Philosophy, Biology (2018); M.A. University of Guelph - Archaic Microorganism Release in Thermokarst (2019); Doctoral Candidate, University of Guelph; [CLASSIFIED](2019-Present)
Research Interests: Climate Change and Global Health, Microbiology, Mycology, Bioethics, Sustainable Investment, Urban Planning
Previous Consulting, Patents & Other Employment: [CLASSIFIED]
Selected Articles: Why I Left Twitter (Toronto Star, November 2017)
Fix Ourselves to Fix the Fisher King: A Case for Livable Cities (The Walrus, April 2018)
The Ninth Circle: What Melting Permafrost Means for Your Health (Emerging Trends in Global Health, 2019)
Permafrost Collapse: What You Need To Know (The Guardian, 2019)

Dr. Erin Finch is an invaluable asset to Janus-Hayes, and has overseen research and development over the ******* program since its inception in late 2019. Driven by a passionate love affair with the natural world, Dr. Finch was generally regarded as a curious and bright individual whose colleagues viewed as a joy to work with. Nevertheless, her supervisors have noted that she has buckled slightly under the requirements of clandestine work. Her contract with Janus-Hayes grants her special authority over *** ********** *** *** *** **** ******* *********** ********* **** *** *** ******** ** *** ******* ********** ** * ******. The supervisory board believes that this arrangement is prudent given Dr. Sycamore’s idiosyncratic leadership style.
SOTF: U
Evan Keane: "I guess my world was always gonna end, somehow."

SOTF Supers:
August Hanlon - "This never felt like much of a Gift."

Return to “SOTF: U Important Information”