Playin' With Destiny

On the northernmost point of the island, at the top of a winding, forested path, a sheer cliff face drops to rocks and waves far below. While the terrain here is somewhat treacherous, and options for retreat are limited, the area does offer a clear view of its access points, making it an area where it's difficult to be taken by surprise.

Moderator: BRAU2 Director

Aura

Playin' With Destiny

Post by Aura »

(Hirono Shimizu continued from When There Ain't Nowhere To Run)

At the end of the forested path leading up to the cliffs, Hirono leaned against a tree, wishing that she had a smoke. It was a bad habit, and she knew it wasn't good for her, but fuck, it was addictive. Besides, she didn't know how, but somehow having a cigarette in her fingers helped to calm her nerves somehow. And if there was ever a time her nerves needed calming this was it.

The knife was still clutched in her dominant hand, where it had been ever since her conversation with Mitsuko. She had made a habit of checking over her shoulder as she walked as well, to make sure that no one was sneaking up behind her. On high alert and with a weapon in her hand, she was dedicated to making sure that no one could get the drop on her. She wasn't going to die easily, that was for sure.

However, at this moment she was doing something dangerous: Letting herself relax for a moment. The back of her head rested against the tree, and the looked up at the top of the cliff. She wasn't at the plateau, so she couldn't see the full grand view that it had to offer. While she was tempted, the top of the cliffs were wide open, and she didn't want to be a sitting duck for anyone.

She sighed as she leaned against the tree, wondering whether or not she should dig into her rations for the first time. She had still yet to hear the first announcement, so it couldn't have been that long. But at the same time, she was starting to get kind of hungry, and she was pretty sure that she could probably eat responsibly. For these moments where she thought about her rations, her mind drifted away from the constant vigilance that she had forced herself to maintain.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

((Chisato Matsui continued from Iacta Alea Est))

Chisato was making her way through the forest-like area and she could just about see the cliffs. It would be so easy for her to just end it all but she couldn't do that. Not after Yoshio had saved her life. She owed it to him to stay alive for as long as she possibly could, even if death was a much easier option. She needed to keep herself going. She needed to find her friends or just someone who wasn't going to start anything with her.

She had been sure that she heard a gunshot after she had ran away. So it seemed likely that Ryuhei had shot Yoshio after all and she wasn't sure how to process that in her head. She just knew that she would have to avoid Kiriyama's gang for as long as she could. If she ran into them with no way out....

She didn't know what she would do.

Chisato was holding the knife in her right hand and she was making sure not to accidentally nick herself with it. She had gotten it out of her bag at some point as a means of protection. She needed to be more cautious, more careful, more ready. She couldn't let her guard down after something so horrible. The knife couldn't protect her from bullets, but it was better than nothing.

She slowly walked out into the open area, moving away from the protection of the trees.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hirono wondered how long it would be until the first announcement. She had made it to morning, so at least she had that going for her. She didn't know how she was going to react once they started naming names, though. Just hearing that people she'd been sitting next to all year were dead was going to be a total mindfuck. However, if Mitsuko or Yoshimi's names come up, especially this early, she didn't know what she would do.

Her hand hung at her side, having held the knife tightly for so long that her knuckles were starting to hurt. She looked up at the top of the cliffs for a few minutes. There was some small hope within her that maybe something god could happen. Maybe some kind of resistance movement could find the island, take out the soldiers, and get them off the island. That would be cool as fuck. Maybe if she looked into the horizon for long enough, she's see them coming.

She really wished that she could believe something like that could happen.

As Hirono was leaning against the tree, she was surprised when someone appeared in the corner of her eye. They were way, way too close for comfort, and fight or flight instinct combined with her heightened nerves spurred her to react.

"Fuck!" She exclaimed as she jumped to the side, facing the newcomer with her knife readied.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Chisato felt herself being startled when she heard a familiar voice and seeing some brief movement near her. She felt herself letting out a gasp and she twisted herself towards the person, stopping herself from moving towards the cliff now. She needed a moment to realize who it was.

Hirono.

Someone that she didn't trust at all. What was she suppose to do now?

She held the knife in front of herself with both of her shaky hands, letting out a shaky breath. "S-Stay back...!" She had stuttered, but that was not what matter right now.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Fuck, it was Matsui. She was usually quiet as hell, but she had just about as much reason as Eto did to hold a grudge against her. More importantly, unlike Eto, she actually had a weapon. She also had a knife and even though Matsui's grip was shakier than her own, she wasn't going to assume for a second that knife wasn't as deadly as hers was.

"Don't come any closer." Hirono warned. They were evenly matched in terms of weapons, but Hirono was banking on her more imposing presence and dangerous aura to keep Matsui from making a move. She needed those to mask the fact that she was basically freaking out as hard as the other girl was right now.

Her first thought was to insist that she wasn't looking for any trouble, but that hadn't gone over too well when she tried it the first time, and Matsui looked almost as freaked out as Eto had been. Also, it was important to note once again that Matsui was armed. Hirono's next move was very important if she didn't want to end up with any lacerations.

"I don't wanna hurt you." She didn't realize until after it left her mouth that could be taken as either an assurance or a threat. She sincerely hoped that Matsui would see it as the former.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Chisato didn't really need Hirono telling her not to move closer to her as she didn't really want to risk getting stabbed and ending up making Yoshio's sacrifice a waste. She needed to calm herself down and to make sure that her hands would stop trembling like crazy. She had to make sure to stay brave in the face of a bully. She just still had to make sure to keep herself safe.

Hirono didn't want to harm her? Why?

"How can I trust your words, Hirono?" She asked calmly, looking at the other girl with suspicion. "What if this is just a trap to lure me into a false sense of security?"
Aura

Post by Aura »

Fucking hell, this really was gonna be like Eto back at the house, wasn't it? Hopefully this time it wouldn't end with a third party rolling up to shoot up the place again. Hirono had already seen enough gunplay for one lifetime.

"Look, I'm not gonna swing unless you come for me, all right?" Hirono was pretty blunt in her explanation, but she was pretty sure that she was getting the point across. "I know there's a lot of crazy shit happening here, and I don't wanna get mixed up in it, know what I mean? I've already seen enough for myself."

Hirono took a step back, seeing if Matsui would react. "Dunno what you've seen so far, but I don't wanna play Sakamochi's stupid-ass game."
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Chisato felt herself falter for a moment. But just for a split second. She almost felt herself lowering the knife, but she didn't and she was still making sure to keep it in front of her. She glanced at Hirono's face more clearly, mulling over the bully's face. At least she wasn't acting like Ryuhei who had been waving his gun around like a lunatic and saying the grossest, nastiest things.

She could feel her eyes welling up with tears and she blinked a few times, holding them back. She could mourn and let the stress out later on.

"I'm not going to do anything myself unless I'm forced to protect myself." She let out a small sigh and she lowered the knife a bit. "I don't want to get involved in any of this either. But we don't have much of a choice, do we?"

She was thinking about the collars around their necks.

"I... I think Ryuhei shot Yoshio..." She choked out quietly.
Aura

Post by Aura »

"Wait, what?"

Part of Hirono felt like she shouldn't have been surprised by this news. After all, she had heard some gunfire when she was with Mitsuko, so someone must have been shot, or at least shot at. Even so, it felt so weird to actually put names to the violence. And out of everyone in class, it was Akamatsu and fucking Sasagawa? Fucking hell, that was even worse. If Sasagawa was killing, then her reputation was going to be even more of an anchor.

"Sasagawa? And Akamatsu?" She asked, looking pretty shocked as she tried to draw more information. "Like, did you see it? And Akamatsu, is he, uh..." It really wouldn't do either of them any good to dance around the subject, so she just came out with it. "Y'know... dead?"
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Dead.

Chisato didn't even want to think about the probability of Yoshio's death. As much as she wanted to deny it all, she had to be completely be honest with herself and she just had a feeling. An unpleasant, twisted feeling in her gut. She didn't want to see a body again.

"I didn't see what happened as Yoshio told me to run away when Ryuhei was yelling and swinging his gun around. Yoshio was injured from an earlier fight with Mitsuru and...." She paused for a few seconds and she was lowering the knife more slowly and cautiously. "...I really do think Yoshio's dead. It was either Ryuhei or any of the others from Kiriyama gang as Ryuhei mentioned them catching up to him."
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hirono made a face of discomfort as Matsui confirmed that she was pretty sure Akamatsu was dead. Hirono didn't even like Akamatsu or anything, but it was creepy to think about him being dead. Hell, she still remembered him answering questions in class. Thinking that he was dead just felt weird.

Shit, she was really hoping that Ryuhei was acting alone and didn't have his gang backing him up. If the Kiriyama family was working together, then that would be a hell of an obstacle that she didn't want to deal with.

"Yeah, I saw someone get shot earlier. It was Eto." Hirono admits. "She survived though, Bulletproof vest. Didn't get a chance to see who shot her, though. Looked like a girl, that's all I know."
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

"Oh, gosh." Chisato murmured softly and she shifted her feet a little, feeling an air of uncertainty clouding her mind. "I'm glad that Megumi is okay, well, as okay as she can be. Pretty lucky that she has a bulletproof vest. All of this is too much."

She shook her head and she was eyeing Hirono with a bit of a weary look still, clearing her throat awkwardly.

Now she had to be on the lookout for a girl with a gun. Any girl with a gun. That was going to be really difficult. What if it was one of her friends? She wasn't sure how to handle that.

What was she supposed to do now?
Aura

Post by Aura »

"Yeah. I ran into Eto at one of the old houses, and she was pissed as hell." Hirono recounted. "Then the next thing I know, someone's in the doorway with a gun, and I just hid until it was over. Thought I'd watched someone die, y'know?"

She had explained the events without getting into extraneous details, but it was those added details that were sticking in her brain the hardest in a very unpleasant way. She could still remember the way that Eto had reacted to her so viscerally, her words echoing inside of Hirono's head.

"Seriously, after everything I've seen from you, Shimizu, why the Hell should I think you wouldn't kill anyone?!"

"Wait, Matsui..." She continued. She had gotten some useful info and traded it for some of her own, but the doubts in her mind demanded that she keep speaking. "Since we're talking and shit, there's something else I wanted to know."

The angry words repeated in her mind again, dripping with venom and spreading her doubts deeper.

"Do you hate me?"
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Chisato honestly couldn't blame Megumi for being angry with Hirono appearing in front of her as Hirono had been one of Megumi's biggest tormentors and Chisato definitely felt more sympathetic to the unfortunate girl who had been a victim of Mitsuko's gang. But still, getting shot by some unknown force and surviving it by the luck of a bulletproof vest... The thought was just very interesting to Chisato.

"That really does sound like a horrifying thing to experience."

Chisato felt herself tensing up when Hirono seemed to want to ask her something and Chisato was almost worried that Hirono was going to ask her to hand over her knife. But that wasn't it at all. Hirono wanted to know if she hated herself and a look of puzzlement came over the girl's face. Why would Hirono even care what she thought of her right now?

She thought about it for a moment, thinking over what she could to Hirono.

"I don't really like how you treat other people, but I don't hate you." She admitted honestly, letting out a small hum. "Not really."
Aura

Post by Aura »

Hirono supposed that she was willing to live with Matsui's answer. Well, kind of. It was definitely better than Eto's furious rant, that's for sure.

"Heh... really?" Hirono really wanted to believe her. ""Pretty sure Eto wouldn't agree. The second she saw me she flipped right the fuck out. Told me that she thought I was gonna kill her because of who I was... or who I am, I guess." She rubbed the back of her neck. Damn, it felt weird to be spilling her guts to this girl that she basically never talked to before. Better than getting her guts spilled literally, though, so she'd take it.

"I Look, I know what you probably think about me, but I don't wanna be a killer. You can trust that." Hirono said, hoping that Matsui was willing to believe her. "I mean, I wanna live, but..."

Wait, shit, where was she going with this now? Hirono wasn't too sure herself. Wait, did that last part sound bad? She wasn't trying to imply that she was willing to kill, at least not someone like Matsui who was minding her own business right now. Fuck, why did this have to be so hard?

"... God, this is fucked." Hirono stated, exasperatedly running her free hand through her hair.

Return to “Cliffs (A8) [Forbidden]”