Selene Flores

La Puta Ama

The profiles of characters approved for the version are found within.

Moderator: SOTF Supers Staff

Laurels

Selene Flores

Post by Laurels »

Name: Selene Flores
Grade: Senior
Hobbies and Interests: Motorcycles (repairing and riding), gambling, punk fashion, tai chi and eastern religions

Gift: Free Falling
Power Details: Selene can make physical objects lose their tangibility if she touches it. If an object is intangible, it will be partially affected by gravity and fall into anything below it at a rate of half a meter per second. Objects fall at a rate of half a meter per second. If Selene snaps her fingers after activating, she can cancel the effect and return the tangibility of the object, no matter where it is during the fall. This can result in objects falling to the ground or being buried underneath surfaces, displacing nearby matter when they become tangible again.
Limitations and Drawbacks: Selene's power only works on solid, inanimate objects she can touch, meaning she can't use it on any liquids or gaseous materials. She cannot use it on living beings nor can she use it on herself, but she can use it on clothing or jewelry people are wearing. She can only use this ability one at a time, meaning she has to cancel the effects on one object before using it on another. Objects affected will also only remain intangible as long as they remain within 20 meters of Selene, so if an object falls into the ground, the effect will automatically cancel as soon as any part of the object hits the 20 meter mark or will stop sooner if Selene moves away from the activation point. Selene's power also requires more physical contact depending on the size and scale of the object. Objects smaller than Selene can become intangible with single touches, but objects larger than her require sustained contact to make intangible. If she's unable to hold onto something long enough to fully activate the power, it is automatically canceled. If she uses it on something that contains another object within, she cannot turn the item inside intangible, leaving it on whatever surface it is on if it is solid, or being released from its form if liquid or gaseous. Her ability can only work on the exact object she touches if it is part of a larger object, requiring her to touch every part of an object with multiple components to turn it intangible. When it comes to objects that can break apart when made intangible, the largest remaining part will remain intangible while the effect will be canceled on smaller, broken pieces.

Appearance: Selene is about 5'4" and weighs 125 pounds, making her quite slim, although she is a bit toned in her arms. She has an olive complexion, a straight nose, dark brown hair, and dark brown eyes. Her hair is cut in a wavy, shaggy cut at about chin length, with fringe bangs. She often wears a simple black eyeliner and red lipstick. Her ears are pierced and she often wears studs. Selene often dresses comfortably, preferring punk style fashion mixed with motorcycle apparel. This usually means she wears simple t-shirts and tank tops with a leather jacket or flannel shirt, and either blue jeans or denim/leather skirts. She likes comfortable shoes, but likes to wear wedge heels and booties. She often accessorizes with chokers and earrings.

When she was abducted, Selene was wearing a black leather jacket with red leather stripes on the sleeves and across the center of the jacket, a white t-shirt with a black and red image of the Tokyo Tower, a black leather skirt, and black booties. She also had a black choker with a cross pendant on and silver studs in her ears, plus her usual eyeliner and lipstick.

Background:
  • Selene was born October 1st to Anibal and Ursula Flores in Bend, Oregon. Selene's family is originally from Spain before settling in Oregon. She is an only child.
  • Anibal died when Selene was five, so she was primarily raised by her mother and her mother's extended family. Her uncle Sergio got her interested in motorcycles from a young age, teaching her how to ride when she was older and how to repair motorcycles.
  • Selene's ability first manifested when she was five and she made a plate fall through the dinner table. While her power did lead to some concerns about her destructive potential, Selene and her family were relieved to learn it only works on inanimate, solid objects and can't be used on living people or animals.
  • As Selene got older, she did find her power did allow her to prank more people, and gave her a bit of a reputation as a trickster. She did get in trouble at school a few times, meaning she had to learn how to use her powers less conspicuously.
  • Selene also got into gambling when she entered middle school, as playing cards and other games allowed her to earn more pocket money. While she's generally competent, she has developed a few ways to cheat and win.
  • Selene also began to get interested in eastern religions and practices as she got older, due to her fascination with the imagery and methods. While she's not normally religious, she likes the aesthetics and decorates accordingly. She also began to learn tai chi to stay in shape and because it helped her with her reach to use her powers.
  • Selene also began getting more into punk and motorcycle fashion, swapping out her old wardrobe for clothes she felt fit the aesthetic.
  • Selene's not interested in college and would prefer to work in a motorcycle repair garage, so she's looking to get certified to work on motorcycles after graduation.
Personality: Selene is a generally happy person, although she can be a bit of a troll. She likes to get on people's nerves with snarky comments or by making their stuff disappear. However, she is also very close to those she considers friends and is loyal. Selene can be a bit reckless and single minded at times, meaning she often gets herself in trouble without thinking of the consequences.

Other Skills: Some mechanical engineering skills, meditation and tai chi, poker face from gambling
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Heya Laur! Selene is looking pretty good so far, but there's a fair amount of ambiguity regarding the exact mechanics of how her power works that I want to clear up, along with a few minor things with the rest of the profile.
Laurels wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:40 pmGift: Free Falling
Power Details: Selene can make physical objects lose their tangibility if she touches it. If an object is affected, it will be affected by gravity and fall into the surface below it. If Selene snaps her fingers after activating, she can cancel the effect and return the tangibility of the object, no matter where it is during the fall. This can result in objects falling to the ground or being buried underneath surfaces.
Limitations and Drawbacks: Selene's power only works on solid objects she can touch, meaning she can't use it on any liquids or gaseous materials. She can only use this ability one at a time, meaning she has to cancel the effects on one object before using it on another. Objects affected will also only remain intangible as long as they remain within 20 meters of Selene, so if an object falls into the ground, the effect will automatically cancel as soon as it hits the 20 meter mark or will stop sooner if Selene moves away from the activation point.
So there are two big bits of vagueness with her Gift as it is currently written out, namely what counts as one single object and exactly how the 20 meter range of her power works.

Regarding her range, since it's not explicitly stated, there are three possibilities that I can see as to how it works:
1. The object begins to become tangible at the boundary, aka, the furthest bit becomes tangible first, with the farthest bit becoming tangible next.
2. The object becomes tangible once the entire object crosses the boundary.
3. The object becomes tangible once any part of it crosses the boundary.

#1 would be an issue, as if an object fell into the ground, the farthest bit would stop first, and then the rest of it (which is still intangible) would fall into it and stop, on and on until you've got a nice one atom thick sheathe that then proceeds to violently undergo nuclear fusion and turn the entire town of Bend, Oregon into a crater. Given that her background doesn't list her vaporizing the entire town, I'm going to assume that's not how it works.

#2 would also be an issue, though, as there is no actual size limit to what counts as "one object". Using the most charitable definition of what counts as a single object, taking the power exactly as it's written, and assuming #2 is true: Selene could walk outside, find a nice cliff face, touch it, and render the entire North American Tectonic Plate intangible, drop everyone on it into the mantle, and then kill everyone else on Earth as a direct result of half of the ocean suddenly boiling.

That doesn't preclude #2 necessarily, but if you want to go with it then Selene will need some kind of mass or volume limit on top of the existing radius (which I will leave up to you to figure out something reasonable) to keep the above scenario from playing out.

#3, however, is completely fine. All I would want, should you go with that option, is for you to include a clear mention of that being how it works in the limitations, and an elaboration that anything larger than 20 m in any dimension cannot be made intangible as a direct result.

Next, I want to know exactly what counts as one solid object, since there is an awful lot of ambiguity there. I have the following questions about it:

1. Does something that we traditionally consider to be one object, even if it's actually composed of a bunch of smaller pieces, count as one object? For instance, a chain is "one object", but it's actually composed of a bunch of smaller pieces (the chain links), so would she render the whole chain intangible, or just the links? Lots of things we traditionally consider one object (most machinery and electronics especially) work like this, so this is important.
2. What about containers that hold fluids, do they count (fluid and all) as one solid object? For instance, if Selene touched a jug of milk, would she render the jug intangible, or both the jug and its contents? This bit is important because human bodies and most creatures in general are basically bags of fluid with some discrete solid bits, and we'd need to know what would happen if Selene touched a person in a death game!

So with those questions in mind, please clarify what counts and what doesn't, WITHOUT using examples, please. Clear criteria is all we want.

Furthermore (and I know this is a lot, sorry), I also have several other, smaller (but still substantial) questions:

1. Can Selene affect herself with her Gift? Simple clarification here, assuming the definition of an object doesn't automatically preclude her and other people.

2. How exactly does it work when a solid object becomes tangible inside of another solid object? I bring this up because of the worry of nuclear fusion again. If two solid objects were overlapping when one became tangible, you'd expect about 0.001% of the atomic nuclei in either object to be overlapping. That doesn't sound like much, but it would still release a frightening amount of energy, comparable to a nuclear bomb. To clear this up, I would recommend just clearly stating that objects displace nearby matter when they become tangible again (so if something got buried in the ground, a conspicuous "lump" would appear where it had fallen).

3. What happens if something splits apart into discrete objects while it's intangible? For instance, let's say someone else's Gift lets them split themselves into pieces and reassemble themselves like Buggy the Clown or Setsuna Tokage? Would her Gift only continue to work on the piece that she actually touched, or would it continue to work on all the pieces? Given that one of her big limitations is that she can only affect one object at a time, I would go with the former and not the latter, here.

4. Lastly, this is mostly a concern given that Selene's power is a touch of death, and might be clarified by what counts as "an object", but taking the power as written and assuming generous definitions: Selene's power is an even more potent touch of death than our previous Jenelle Greene. While Jenelle would still have to touch vital areas to kill someone, Selene would merely have to poke them anywhere on their body to drop them into the ground and subsequently kill them.

Point #4 doesn't actually concern me for RP balance reasons -- a handler could just refuse to let her touch their character. Instead my concern is that I find it extremely hard to believe that Selene wouldn't have accidentally killed herself (assuming she can use her power on herself) or someone else prior to the time of the game. I know you mention in her background that "Selene found the ability required more conscious use than unconscious use, so she managed to avoid hurting anyone in her family" but just because something generally requires conscious use doesn't mean it's always conscious (our generally voluntary skeletal muscles are prone to myoclonic jerks when falling asleep, after all, and young children have even less control over their muscles than adults; I doubt they'd have better control of their superpowers). All it would take is Selene bumping into someone in the hallway at school, briefly losing control, and not noticing for a single second for them to suddenly be buried at least five meters underground. This is even worse if she can affect herself with her Gift; am I supposed to believe she NEVER messed up with it a single time in her entire 18 years of life, even when she was falling asleep?

Needless to say, I'm gonna draw a firm line that Selene's power needs to be less lethal. Given that I don't imagine that you want to make it nonlethal outright (else I would either suggest you make it so it doesn't work on people per the object definition above, or just make it so solid objects simply reappear in the closest unoccupied space when they become tangible again, video game style), I would suggest making it so objects fall much, much more slowly while intangible. Something like 10% of normal gravity (on Earth that'd be 0.98 m/s2) would suffice: it would mean any accidentally dropped objects would only fall less than half a meter in a single second, giving Selene ample time to react and render them tangible again.

--

So, that was a lot! Thankfully, the rest of the profile is nearly spotless.
Selene was wearing a black leather with red leather stripes on the sleeves and across the center of the jacket
Missed a word; "black leather jacket with".
Selene's ability first manifested when she was five and she made a plate fall through the dinner table. While her power did lead to some concerns about her destructive potential, Selene found the ability required more conscious use than unconscious use, so she managed to avoid hurting anyone in her family.
Assuming you make Selene's Gift less lethal as requested, I'd want this bullet point adjusted a little in light of what you go with. Just keep it in mind!
Hobbies and Interests: Motorcycles (repairing and riding), gambling, punk fashion, tai chi and eastern religions.
Other Skills: Some mechanical engineering skills, meditation and tai chi, poker face from gambling.
No need for the periods here!

--

That's all! I know it's a lot to think about and consider (you're probably going to double the length of her power details and limitations, bare minimum), but I'm sure you'll be able to do it. If you have any questions, my DMs are open both here on the boards and on Discord! Lemme know when you've got all that done and I'll give Selene another look. :3
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
Memories: = = = >
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Ok, I think I got everything, but let me know if you need more cleared up.
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

Very nice! She's looking a lot better, just a few more things:
Laurels wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:40 pmIf an object is affected, it will be affected by gravity and fall into the surface below it. Objects fall at a rate of half a meter per second.
Spot of rewording here for clarity: "If an object is intangible, it will be partially affected by gravity and fall into anything below it at a rate of half a meter per second."
This can result in objects falling to the ground or being buried underneath surfaces. Objects also displace nearby matter when they become tangible again.
Same here! "This can result in objects falling to the ground or being buried underneath surfaces, displacing nearby matter when they become tangible again."
but objects larger than her require longer, sustained contact to bring it down.
Clarity again; "sustained contact to make intangible".

Last; the only point you didn't address: I'm still curious as to what happens should an object break apart while it's intangible! My specific examples were of people splitting apart (which is covered now!) but there are other circumstances I could see coming up. For example, if someone's Gift let them create ice that melts and breaks apart not long after creation, and Selene made the ice intangible only for it to break apart while intangible, what would happen? What I'd suggest here is the largest individual piece of an object that breaks apart remaining intangible, while the effect ends for the remaining pieces, but if you have another idea feel free to toss it up!

Lemme know when you've got all that done and she should hopefully be good to go!
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Updated
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
VoltTurtle

Post by VoltTurtle »

One last thing, minor mistake!
This can result in objects falling to the ground or being buried underneath surfaces, displacing nearby matter when they become tangible again. Objects also displace nearby matter when they become tangible again.
When I suggested the previous edit, it was for both sentences! Go ahead and delete the second one here, since it's just repeating ideas!

Fix that and she'll be good to go!
[+] Supers
Lily Little:
[+] TV3
Wiki Pages:
Seo-yun Lee
[+] TV2
Wiki Pages:
Naomi Young
Laurels

Post by Laurels »