A writers workshop

(open once RJ is in)

Unlike past versions, TV3's Memories section is getting its own forum for easier parsing of which threads are Memories and which are present action. Please remember that characters may be in only one present and one Memories thread at any time, though one-shots may occur at any point in either section.
Ohm

A writers workshop

Post by Ohm »

It was one of those rare days in Miami where the clouds reigned supreme and the sun had gone into hiding. Which is why Leo was wearing a more casual outfit, a t-shirt with a design of a black palm tree against a red circle with a simple gray jacket over and a pair of jeans. It was why Leo was briskly walking past people on this day as the clouds looked ready to rain down upon him at any moment.

Luckily for him, he was not going to spend the time outside that day. Instead, as his steps slowed down as his destination grew closer and closer before stopping entirely as he looked up with a smile at the building in front of him.

Mangrove high had a prestigious library with a plethora of books both educational and fantastical lining it shelfs. Librarian to the side reading for themselves and staying out of anyone's business unless, of course, someone broke the silence rule. For a bookworm this was one of the places to be. It was one of the first things he discovered about this place and it's something he won't forget soon.

But that was not why Leo was here today, no, he needed a good place where he could write in peace and the library had never failed him in that area. He had an idea for his book and he needed to get it down now.

With his backpack on and a trusty laptop residing within, he entered the library and gave a small wave to the librarian, who was too engrossed in their own book to notice. Undeterred, Leo made his way past the tables filled with students, past the shelves full of books towards the corner where, true to form, an empty table was set.

Pulling a chair out carefully so as to not make any noise, Leo put his laptop down on the table and backpack beside the chair. He opened his laptop and logged in, he leaned back carefully in his chair folding his hands together in front of him before cracking his fingers and getting ready to work.

With the Word document at the ready, Leo tapped away intently on the laptops keyboard.
AnimeNerd
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by AnimeNerd »

The library. Oh, the library. RJ had problems with Mangrove Garden as a whole, but if there was one thing he was grateful for, one thing he wouldn't change in the slightest? It would be the library.

It was especially perfect for a day like this. RJ had made the mistake of assuming today would be...well, like any other day in Miami, Florida; the sun would shine brightly and might make it hotter than normal, but he'd be fine in just his shorts, t-shirt, and sandals. Instead, with the could taking the sun hostage, RJ was just grateful he'd brought his Halloween sweatshirt as well, otherwise both his midsection and legs would be freezing. He knew it probably wasn't that cold, but compared to what he was used to? It may as well be winter.

So, to the library he went, his legs shaking a bit, trying to generate some warmth. He fast-walked his way there, thankfully not running into many people he knew before getting there. When he arrived, he gave a cursory wave to the librarian, though if she waved back it was after he started looking for a place to sit.

Usually RJ would go for one that was mostly filled with other students, maybe having a quiet conversation and just talking about things going on in their lives. Right now, though? He wanted a bit more privacy this time, maybe get some reading done, or even working on a book or two. Sure, he didn't have his laptop, but he could just take notes on some paper and add them later.

He went past the tables with other students, waving to the ones that waved to him, the corners of his mouth turned upward just enough to give a small smile. He went past the various shelves of books, looking over a couple as his smile faded to more neutral expression, and ultimately not grabbing any of the books. He noticed a table where only one guy was sitting and stood for a second, before rationalizing 'Why not?'

Trying to be as inconspicuous as possible, RJ quietly pulled out a chair on the side of the table opposite of the other guy, and sat down, legs crossed trying to get more warmth, and backpack set down leaning against his chair.

A part of RJ wanted to say something to this boy, at least introduce himself since he didn't think the two of them had met before, but then he noticed his face. Nothing about it was familiar but the look it was giving. A kind of concentration that had all of the guy's power behind it. Something RJ recognized, given how many times he made it when working on his books. Given how the guy was working on something on his laptop, RJ figured he was doing something similar.

So, RJ said nothing yet. If the guy wanted to speak to him, he would speak, but until then he wasn't going to interrupt his train of thought. Instead, he got out his notebook for writing, a pencil, and went to work himself. He thought of something for a character to deal with in one story, and wanted to write it down. Just needed to write it down and-

*Snap*

"Damn it."

Or maybe his pencil lead could just snap. That works too.
[+] The Living
Joel Foster is having a reunion while it's time to call the police
Megumi Eto is wishing she could GTFO
[+] The Dead
RJ Blackburn was axed a question in The Jarvis Method
Jasper Suárez-King was silenced in When Betting On High Card Pays Off
Jia Li Qiáo took a tumble off in Rouge Angles of Satin
[+] The Future
Colton "Colt" Smirnov is ready to aim and fire
Roselia Watson is trying to run away from it all
Titania Zabelle is going to show the world her talent
Maud Sparrow Jr. is already painting her own portrait
Aqua Elle is a literal spitfire when you think about it
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

It's hard to describe how it is when you sit down and write. It was probably different for each person, for Leo it was like being in a zone. The words just seemed to flow through his fingers at that point with his key presses at regular intervals and time would pass him by without his notice, as if it didn't exist anymore. His concentration will turn into steel, the only other time that would happen is when he would be on the field chasing the ball getting ready to either pass or tackle somebody.

Leo's concentration refused to break, even as sounds from other students came from above and around him. His eyes following the words that appeared on his screen slowly filling up the page, he had worked on this thing for so long that the page number was now at 36. A small smile filled his face as his idea came to fruition in front of him.

He had been lucky that day that inspiration had struck him. Sometimes when he had sat down to write, he would be twiddling his thumbs thinking about soccer or another book he'd read and his idea wouldn't be jotted down on paper. Instead, it would just journey away from his mind forever and he would wonder afterwards what that idea would have been, setting him even further back.

Snap

Leo's eyes snapped away from his laptop as he looked up at the boy sitting across from him, his concentration breaking much like the lead of that pencil. He knew the pain of that back when he wrote physically till he learned the wonders of writing documents on PC. The ability to safeguard almost everything that you've written at a moment's notice was one of the best things his Uncle had taught him. Still, it was fun physically writing down your ideas as inspiration would strike.

As Leo looked at him, he tried to place in his mind who he was. He had seen him around school and in class, hard not too with his appearance, ivory skin tone contrasting his bleached hair, hoop earring through his left ear. A square face with a pointy nose and freckles. Truth be told, he looked pretty good, but that was something Leo would keep for himself.

He had a unique name, Ra Jin? RJ? Something like that. He was dressed rather unfitting for the weather. Seemingly having predicted a better day outside then what they got. He and plenty others Leo had seen in his peripheral vision making his way here.

It didn’t seem like he had anything to replace that pencil with...

Leo reached down for his backpack and zipped it open. Rummaging through it briefly, he found what he was looking for and pulled out a pencil case. Even though he didn't write physically as much anymore, he still kept the case and pencils his uncle had given him when he was younger and starting middle school. His father who normally couldn't stand the man even accepted it as it meant he didn't have to buy one.

Case in hand, Leo leaned over and gingerly placed it in front of him.

"Here you go." He said softly as to not make as much noise as possible.
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Of course his pencil would just snap like that. Right when he wanted to use it most, it broke midway into the second word. If he wasn't trying to think of a way to fix it, he'd look up to the guy near him and make a joke about it. Probably a lame one like 'I've officially hit my breaking point.' Enough to get a giggle but not enough to disturb the peace of the library. As it was, RJ made the mistake of only bringing one pencil today, and he wasn't interested in trying to do math in pen. That would be a disaster, probably. Maybe he could find a pencil sharpener-

"Here you go."

Oh, wait, maybe he was saved.

First looking up to the guy, he was able to actually get a good look at him now. The laptop obscured what he looked like at first, and after noticing he was busy, RJ decided to leave him be. Looking at him now, he thought the guy didn't look half bad. Black hair gelled back, oval shaped face with a mole on one cheek, a sun tan and actually as tall as him. If he remembered right, the guy was usually more of a sharp dresser, though with the current weather RJ couldn't blame him for dressing differently.

He recognized the guy. Leo something. RJ was pretty sure his first name was Leonard and went by the nickname, but he was the last person to criticize someone for something like that. He was on the soccer team, though he couldn't say what he did there. He wasn't one to follow sports, which was probably why it took a second to recognize him.

It took RJ a second to look down to what Leo had offered. In front of him sat a pencil case. It appeared a bit on the older side, but really? Who looks a gift horse in the mouth, or however the saying goes?

As he grabbed one end of the case to hold it in place, and the other he used to unzip the case and grab a mechanical pencil, he mimicked Leo's tone as he responded with a smile.

"Thanks. The one time I don't grab a second pencil or a pencil sharpener, and I break the pencil trying to work on a story. I bet next time I drop my phone trying to answer a telemarketer or something."

Maybe not his best work, but it would probably get a smile on Leo's face.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

The boy gingerly opened his pencil case and got one of his mechanical pencils out. He let loose a small joke in response and Leo smiled at that. It was good to see that he was talking to one of the less pretentious members of the student body. Leo didn't like to judge based on appearances, but the amount of times he had met with someone going to this school without a sense of humour was a number too high for his liking.

It didn't stop him from conversing with them, but there were definitely times where he'd had to hold his tongue over things. This boy gave him the feeling that he wouldn't have to with him.

Leo obliged him with a chuckle. A small one, of course, because the last thing they needed was the librarian on their case, and whilst he didn't think it was that funny it was better than leaving him hanging with some awkward silence.

"That's why I switched to using a PC, myself." He whispered where he stood straight, having stopped leaning across the table.

"Just gotta worry about the power and the keyboard and the screen and... well, everything." He gave his laptop a small pat on the back of the screen with his right hand's digits whilst resting his left on the top of it as he gave him a smile.

A long winded one, that's for sure, but that was in vogue nowadays, right?
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Seeing a smile on Leo’s face was enough to make RJ’s day just a little bit better. It was just one of those small things that helped make a day, and with a couple of the bigger details of the day being less-then-stellar, it was appreciated.

“That’s why I switched to using a PC, myself. Just gotta worry about the power and the keyboard and the screen and...well, everything.”

Ah, yes, computers. Beautiful things, and definitely more efficient than most other ways of writing. Physically writing? You’ll have the same problem RJ just had, plus how long long it would take. Typewriters? Good luck carrying that around, and try not to make a mistake, because it’ll be a pain to get it fixed, if you even can. The fact that he could only think of those two alternatives showed just how limited options were. Heck, even computers had their flaws, and more than what Leo had to say about them.

“Yeah, I usually stick to keeping stuff on my laptop back home. I put my work on Google docs, though, after what happened to my last computer.”

He gave a sigh that was half genuinely frustrated, half playing up the dramatic in him.

“Had to start right back at the beginning for a story I was one chapter from finishing. Learned why you need to be careful when letting other people use it.”

Such tragedy. Much sad. I cri ery tim and all that.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

"Wait, really? Good on you for following through. For many that would be the end." He whispered in the same tone as before as he lifted his hands from his laptop, leaned back with both in the air and stretched on the spot. Leo meant that, far too often he had heard tales of people just giving up after such a setback, and while he knew that something like that was a tremendous setback one has to push forward against such adversity.

Such is the life of a writer.

And maybe a sign Leo should invest in google docs. For his writing’s sake, and for his own.

It was at that moment that he realised that the boy probably did not know his name, nor did Leo know his. He sought to rectify that as it seemed that the boy across from him had a good head on his shoulders when it came to writing and his goals. It was always good to have a writing buddy of sort that wasn't his uncle.

"Name is Leonard Kenter, but my friends call me Leo. What's yours?" He whispered again, but his tone was more light and careful. It was not just for the library's sake, but for himself. While he said his friends called him Leo, that was not necessarily true as he had managed to get most to refer to as such. It wasn't that Leo hated his name, no siree, he just felt it was more prudent if, y'know, people referred to him as such. It was mostly only his family and teachers that liked to call him Leonard, and he would like to keep it that way.
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

"Wait, really? Good on you for following through. For many that would be the end."

RJ gave him a more cheeky grin, eyes closed and smiling a bit wider. "Thanks, though I'm not sure if it's that much. I just didn't want to give up on my favorite piece."

That, and maybe sending a bit of spite towards fate itself. All that work down the toilet, and he was supposed to give up? On his favorite story? Hell no! He was going to finish that thing whether fate wanted him to or not, and it seemed like fate was against him.

"Name is Leonard Kenter, but my friends call me Leo. What's yours?"

Oh, right, they hadn't officially introduced themselves yet. It was good to know it was Leo, and to know his last name. Always good to know someone's last name, just in case.

"RJ Blackburn. My full name is Ra Jin, but it's kind of awkward, so I just stick to RJ." He was half tempted to just introduce himself as RJ, but figured it would be fine if Leo admitted to his real name. While it wasn't anything bad, he didn't know if there was anything personal about it that made him go by a nickname, and figured he'd respect his wishes.

Plus, it seemed like him and Leo were friends now, and that's always a good thing, isn't it?

"So, Leo, how did you get into writing?" RJ whisper-asked. It might've been a big question to ask so soon, but he was genuinely interested. If you've got an official writing buddy, why not figure out what made them start writing in the first place?
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

He had a quizzical look on his face when he heard the name. Ra jin, huh? So he was right in both cases then. Funny how that works out, nicknames and all. Was not like he could talk though with his own, but it made Leo wonder why the nickname. Was it because the name was distinctly foreign sounding and he wanted to avoid people trying anything?

Leo could understand that reason, it had been part of the reason he made his own after all. Although, Ra Jin didn't sound bad or awkward, at least not to him. It was better than Leonard.

A smile formed on his friends face as they conversed and Leo could only wonder why no one had asked him for a photo. With his looks, RJ was very photogenic and Leo had to stop himself from asking, for now he would keep it to writing buddies. Whilst Leo was not a slouch with a camera, he could step over those bounds when they were more comfortable with each other.

Then the question came, how did you get into it? A natural question for one's upcoming writing buddy and one he would get regularly when people found out that he was a writer.

"My uncle is a writer and loves books, he would give me some when I was a kid for my birthday." He had a wistful tone as he spoke, it was a fun memory despite his behavior at the time. The amount of patience that man displayed despite his implicit rejection of his gift... it's partly why Leo looked up to him.

"I didn't care for them at first, but then I read them one day and, well, here I am." He sat down in his chair, slowly to keep from making much sound before reaching over and tapping on the side of his laptop with his index and middle finger together. As if to accentuate his point.

"What about you? What brought into the wonders of writing?" A curious look on his face as he looked over at RJ and studied his face some more. Leo had learned over the years you can see a lot on a person's face when they talk about something like this.
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Ah, that expression. The one that more or less asked if RJ was being serious. He wished he was joking, but hey, you don't always get what you want, do you? But it seemed like Leo wasn't interested in that topic, thankfully, so he wouldn't think about it too much.

He listened intently to Leo's explanation, leaning a bit forward in his chair, arms on the table to support himself, half folded with the right arm in front of the left. It was interesting to hear why someone else was trying to be an author; most people he talked to about it just enjoyed reading, and while that was understandable, the stories of how they got into it tended to blend together in his head. One that inspired someone into writing stands out immediately, and especially with the beginning. His uncle is a writer? A professional one?

"What about you? What brought into the wonders of writing?"

Oh, looks like asking about that uncle will have to wait. At least for a minute or two. It was only fair that RJ shares his story after hearing Leo's.

"Nothing that special, really," RJ said, now leaning back into his chair, enough that his arms weren't on the table anymore, with his fingers intertwined behind his head. He looked up to the ceiling as he recalled the memories, his smile getting a bit smaller, seemingly a bit more forced, and his voice getting a little bit louder unconsciously, though not enough to draw much attention. "When I was younger, my sister would read to me some of the books she read. They were pretty much all young adult novels, and I thought that these longer, more detailed stories were more interesting, even if some of them weren't the best."

He loses his train of thought for a second, snickering at the memory of Tandy having censor parts of the Twilight series. Boy did she regret that choosing to read him that.

He looks back to Leo as he continues, his smile growing back to its normal look, and his voice going back to the whispered tone. "Anyway, after that it's probably the same as you. Got so interested in writing that I decided to write my own books. Now it's only a matter of time before I really get somewhere with them."
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

There were a few things that caught his eye as RJ spoke, helped by years of taking photographs of people and his mother's coaching. He looked away from him up to the ceiling, as if to keep the smile on his face that had diminished as he seemed to remember why - it was still there, but it had grown smaller and more forced. Unlike for Leo, it didn't seem to be such a good memory.

Made it all the more remarkable that he was doing it.

RJ's voice had stopped being whisper and became more what sounded like his regular speaking voice, looking like he didn't notice that as he spoke, although, looking around it was not loud enough for the librarian to care. Leo heard him snicker as he spoke more of why he wanted to write. His sister read to him.

Weird, why did it seem like such a bad memory then? Apparently something bad must have happened around that time. Probably best to stay away from that topic.

So, both of them had family as a reason. Outside of writing, it sounded like they had more in common than it looked like at first. Leo could remember his mother doing the same for him when he was young, a long time ago. That was the other reason for why he wanted to write. Something for her and his uncle to read and be proud and say. "That's our Leo."

RJ's smile and tone returned to what it was before. As if it didn't change at all and he mentioned wanting to write his own books and it's only a matter of time before he got somewhere with them.

"Amen to that." He said with a smile as he reached up and scratched near his mole. He had always been a bit self-conscious of it, he used to cover it up with band-aids as a kid and pretend that he didn't have it. Nowadays, he doesn't bother. There were worse things to have on one's face.

"Trying that myself, and when I'm done I'm showing my uncle first."
The Honeless Beard
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by The Honeless Beard »

"Can you guys please shut the fuck up," Ivan hissed from one table over, snapping his notebook shut. He shoved it into his bag, stood, and headed for the door.

"Honestly."

(Ivan Rodriguez continued elsewhere.)
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

"Amen to that. Trying that myself, and when I'm done I'm showing my uncle first."

RJ couldn't help the smile on his face growing just little bit bigger at that. An actual, professional author. He probably wasn't all that famous or anything, but that didn't really matter much. RJ still felt a little starstruck, before he had an idea. He opened his mouth to speak-

"Can you guys please shut the fuck up," A notebook was snapped shut, shoved into a bag, and the guy started walking away. "Honestly."

RJ couldn't help jumping in his seat at the suddenness of the small outburst. He looked back to see who was leaving, embarrassment as clear on his face as the blush now staining his cheeks. He got a glimpse of the guy's back before he was out the door, but couldn't tell who he was.

He turned back to Leo, smile now clearly forced as the blush of embarrassment started to creep across more of his face. "Maybe we should talk more later? At least outside the library?"

His voice was just barely audible now, hoping no one else would hear them.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

Of course, even when Leo was having fun chatting with someone else, Mangrove High had to show it's fun elements. A lot of different people got through those entrance exams and that means you get some that aren't exactly pleasant. Ivan was one of them. Maybe they were too loud in their corner of the library, maybe he was in the right to be annoyed at that moment. It was hard to tell over his dislike of Ivan, he'd seen him get like this over other things in the past, it's why he stopped talking to him after all.

Ivan was distinctive, in more ways than one. He was taller than Leo, more muscular than him and loved it showing it off with his outfit choices that often looked like he left them in the wash too long. His hair styled in a particular way that looked good on him combined with the features he had, in essence, Ivan looked good. Someone who if Leo had met on the street by chance would ask for a photo of, but he wouldn't.

One could easily see Ivan from far away, and hear him when he decided to be his usual self. One of the few Leo had elected not to speak with after the first attempt. Normally, Leo didn't like to take first impressions as a definitive take on a person, but Ivan was the rare exception. Add in his passionate response to SOTF-TV and Leo found his distaste for him growing and growing each time he saw him.

Today was no exception to that. He managed to keep his face neutral, but inwardly frowned as he cursed in the library before storming off. It was contrary to how he tended to be. Gone before either of them could say anything to him as he beat his retreat across the library.

Either way, when RJ suggested for them to leave Leo took that as an opportunity to pack his laptop back into his backpack. After saving his progress, of course. Not going to lose that any time soon.

"Sure, it seems like the best thing to do." He whispered, his volume going even lower than it was before to avoid annoying anyone else.

"Wouldn't want to annoy the librarian." Annoying Ivan was one thing, but the librarian? Oh, there would be hell to pay if that happens.

“Let’s go, before Ivan comes back with her.” He wouldn’t put it past him, if their chat annoyed him enough to storm off, then it was quite possible for him to tell her and get them reprimanded. And Leo was in no mood for that today, not when he just found a writing buddy to talk to.
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

RJ thought he might've recognized the guy, but wasn't really ready to make any assumptions. Everyone knows that old saying, after all, he wasn't exactly ready to look like a donkey.

Seeing Leo start to pack up stirred him to put his notebook and broken pencil away in his backpack, making sure to take Leo's mechanical pencil as well, leaving it on the table at the moment. Didn't want to be a thief, after all!

After zipping up his, RJ unfolded his legs from their previous position, pushed his seat away from the table with his feet, and stood up, grabbing his backpack in the process and hanging it from his right shoulder. It may have been cold outside, but Leo was definitely right about that last one.

"Sure, it seems like the best thing to do. Wouldn't want to annoy the librarian."

"Yeah, don't want to deal with that," he whispered, trying to keep his voice as quiet as possible but still audible, thinking back to previous interactions with the librarian. Most of the time things would be alright, but there's a reason why it's 'most of the time' and not 'all of the time.'

"Let's go, before Ivan comes back with her."

Ah, that was who it was. RJ thought he and Ivan were...well, maybe not friends, but at least on good terms. He wasn't sure if he should talk to him later, or chalk up his reaction to Leo and himself actually being too loud.

He'd deal with that problem later, though. There were more important things at the moment.

"Alright, where to?" He asked, looking Leo in the eyes, his smile now much less forced than before.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future