Sixes and Sevens

Private

The dwellings found on the western side of the settlement were occupied by the poorer denizens of the town. These buildings tend to be low, small, densely-packed, and in questionable states of repair. Those that are more than one story tend to be divided into apartments, and were probably largely tenanted by sailors and dockworkers. The architecture is largely bare stucco and wood, and roofs are mostly flat. Gardens, when present, are small and poorly-maintained. Many of the buildings were clearly shared by many inhabitants, evidenced by extremely efficient layouts and numerous beds. The light here is poor, and there are a number of alleys and tight spaces suitable to concealment... or ambush.
Polybius

Sixes and Sevens

Post by Polybius »

((Anvi Parekh continued from Poolside Chat))

Anvi wandered around for a while meeting no one, saying nothing. Impotent rage just smoldering inside. The announcement made it worse. Turned out that four of her classmates had killed within the first twelve hours. Damn it, they were supposed to b better than this. Of course the American kids would kill each other if their government told them to, they were raised since birth to obey like dogs. But her own classmates, turning on each other and obeying an oppressive enemy regime? It was shameful. Michelle had been one of the killers too, and that had been a particularly nasty punch in the gut. She was the only one who Anvi had been sure wasn't an idiot. The announcement made it sound like it could have been self defense, but she wasn't sure...

Anvi knew what needed to be done now. But she didn't know how she'd do it. Damn it all.

Anvi sat down beside a building and took a water bottle from her bag. As she took a sip, she saw another one of those fucking cameras spying at her from a lamppost. More than ever, she wanted nothing more than to chuck her bottle at it and curse it out. But she was still scared of how they'd respond. Just a little while earlier she'd seen a helicopter off in the distance, and she swore she heard an explosion. She wasn't messing with that nonsense.

But what, then?
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

((Oliver Davies continued from Burning Boats))

It had not been long after leaving Samuel when Oliver heard the helicopter, and he almost threw up, barely fighting back the urge.

But when it was followed by a loud boom in the distance and the sounds of the rotor disappearing faintly, he regained his composure. It would have been something to find out that he was wrong all along and rescue actually was coming and he'd shot Samuel in the leg for what would have been no reason, for a number of reasons. One would involve admitting that Samuel was right, and another would have involved admitting that he was unintentionally wrong. Samuel could deal with being wrong when he was doing it on purpose, for the same purpose as he always defaulted to, but to find out his entire verbal manifesto was for nothing and he had been completely off base would have been far more than he could actually handle.

The moment he left Samuel, he retreated to a house to hide, but mostly to think. In a huge bout of irony, he probably would have come up with a better idea had this not been the first one, because he would have had more of an idea of what to do successfully - then again, if this hadn't been the first one, he wouldn't have vowed to make sure nobody made it back alive and turn a game into a war crime.

Right now, he had no ideas. The only thing he could do was sit in silence and imagine scenarios, like what would happen if someone came into the building and blocked off his escape route, or if the house was set on fire, or if he suddenly broke his leg and had no way of getting out of the housefire because of someone blocking his escape route. But those imaginary scenarios were just that, and before Oliver knew it he was sitting the dark eating shitty food by torch and trying to figure out if it was better to hide or hunt.

Before he could really come up with an answer to himself, he heard something outside - it sounded like a crack, like someone compressing their hand on a water bottle or maybe even breaking a bone, Oliver was at no liberty to say. He picked the gun up from the table, pocketed it once again, and joined it with the torch still in his hand to make a quick exit through the back of the building, and rounded the corner of the house to shine a light.

The light hit the sound, and the sound was revealed to be a person. A brief moment of concern evaporated when they looked like a girl, ruling out a Samuel getting revenge, and the slightly longer moment of joint concern also vanished when she was too dark-skinned to be either Michelle or Lena, but a flicker remained when Oliver couldn't tell just in those few moments if it was Victoria or not. As the torch's light sprung through the dark had not been able to reveal the girl's face, Oliver's mind raced through the girls in his class and narrowed it down to the ones he knew the names of. The lack of braids gave Oliver a fighting chance, so he took a guess.

"Anvi?"

Half a chance of being right, half a chance of starting off his second interaction with another person in America being on an even worse foot than before - the odds weren't in Oliver's favour.
[+] Yesterday
BR: B01 - Yoshio Akamatsu: Dear friend, You are a freak. You are not wanted. You are not necessary. And you are the only one who is.
BR: G09 - Yuko Sakaki: and although the fingers slice things such as oranges and bodies, we can no longer be reasonably sure what these things are.
PV1: F03 - Chanel Martin: Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world.
PV1: M17 - Matthew Payne: I don't know the question, but sex is definitely an answer.
TV1: BLU2 - Anna Hitchins: I am uncomfortable with the fact this conversation isn't about me.
TV1: BLK3 - Holly Hergenroeder: Tho'th who make peatheful revolution impothible will make violent revoluthun inevitable.
Virtua: F12 - Jacqueline "Cameo" Conroy: I am not looking to escape my darkness, I am learning to correct the monster I created there.
Virtua: F20 - Ramona Shirley: Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the body and explosions to everything.
SC1: B04 - Preston Grey: We often miss opportunity because it's dressed like a cheerleader and looks like it's about to shoot you in the face.
SC1: G07 - Anna Kateridge: Laziness is the first step towards somehow finishing in 8th place.
PV2: F17 - Erin Underwood: There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of getting kicked through a tree branch.
TV2: CJ5 - Jaxon Street: Fashionable people don't necessarily fall in love with fashionable people.
SC2: G03 - Lyndi Thibodeaux: To be a good leader, you sometimes need to go down the parish path.
SC2: B20 - Jason Andrews: It's time to water down the standards which would lead to bravery.
PV3P: M05 - Santiago "Sandy" Ibarra: And so the mongoose lay with the solenodon.
PV3P: F22 - Nani Clover: Be the survivor you wish to see in the world.
PV3P: M43 - Grant Moore: In this game, American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.
PV3: F11 - Calista Carpenter: Doing things you hate for people you love is what it means to be family.
PV3: F13 - Oliver Davies: Many boys owe the grandeur of their games to their tremendous delusions.
TV3: SB09 - Emmett Purcell: Men, give your power to the bitches that deserve it.
TV3: BC07 - Ashanti Baker: Don't speak your mind, even if your throat shakes to speak.
INTL: O01 - Rainbow Moseki: Hide yourself in music, so when someone wants to find you, they can kill that first.
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:
Holly Hadaway: "Could you imagine if I never got my teeth fixed? Who'd take me seriously?"
Jason Foley: "Get on my level, scrublord."

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

A beam of light hit her, and Anvi brought her hand up to cover her eyes. She could see a figure standing behind the torchlight. A male-sounding voice said her name. Shit, someone had finally found her. She still didn't feel prepared. She still hadn't thought out all the important points of her plan. But it looked like she didn't have a choice. She just had to hope he'd be willing to listen.

Anvi pushed herself to a standing position against the wall. Bit a bit, she could make out the figure. It was Oliver, one of the football boys. She had never had much reason to talk to him, but she knew his name, and he knew hers. So that was a start.

"Oliver?" she replied. "Yeah, it's Anvi. I'm not aggressive. Are you?"

Best to get to the point.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"I'm not if you're not."

It was very important to get straight to the point. Oliver, for instance, could go ahead and shoot her, but all he saw was Anvi standing there - he didn't know if she was alone, if she was armed, or, more importantly answered just then, if she was aggressive. Shooting her could be a free action, with free rewards, but it could also end up with a squad of heavily armed chavs descending upon him and riddling him with bullets and desecrated English language until he was a beautiful corpse.

Leaving Samuel for dead taught Oliver that he could shoot and kill someone if needed, but it didn't mean he should just randomly kill whoever he came across, because it was important to think.

"You found anyone else? I've only seen one other person while I've been here, and that was a while ago."
[+] Yesterday
BR: B01 - Yoshio Akamatsu: Dear friend, You are a freak. You are not wanted. You are not necessary. And you are the only one who is.
BR: G09 - Yuko Sakaki: and although the fingers slice things such as oranges and bodies, we can no longer be reasonably sure what these things are.
PV1: M17 - Matthew Payne: I don't know the question, but sex is definitely an answer.
TV1: BLU2 - Anna Hitchins: I am uncomfortable with the fact this conversation isn't about me.
TV1: BLK3 - Holly Hergenroeder: Tho'th who make peatheful revolution impothible will make violent revoluthun inevitable.
Virtua: F12 - Jacqueline "Cameo" Conroy: I am not looking to escape my darkness, I am learning to correct the monster I created there.
Virtua: F20 - Ramona Shirley: Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the body and explosions to everything.
SC1: B04 - Preston Grey: We often miss opportunity because it's dressed like a cheerleader and looks like it's about to shoot you in the face.
SC1: G07 - Anna Kateridge: Laziness is the first step towards somehow finishing in 8th place.
PV2: F17 - Erin Underwood: There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of getting kicked through a tree branch.
TV2: CJ5 - Jaxon Street: Fashionable people don't necessarily fall in love with fashionable people.
SC2: G03 - Lyndi Thibodeaux: To be a good leader, you sometimes need to go down the parish path.
SC2: B20 - Jason Andrews: It's time to water down the standards which would lead to bravery.
PV3P: M05 - Santiago "Sandy" Ibarra: And so the mongoose lay with the solenodon.
PV3P: M43 - Grant Moore: In this game, American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.
PV3: F11 - Calista Carpenter: Doing things you hate for people you love is what it means to be family.
PV3: F13 - Oliver Davies: Many boys owe the grandeur of their games to their tremendous delusions.
TV3: SB09 - Emmett Purcell: Men, give your power to the bitches that deserve it.
TV3: BC07 - Ashanti Baker: Don't speak your mind, even if your throat shakes to speak.
INTL: O01 - Rainbow Moseki: Hide yourself in music, so when someone wants to find you, they can kill that first.
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:
Holly Hadaway: "Could you imagine if I never got my teeth fixed? Who'd take me seriously?"

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

"No, you're the first one I've seen. Glad to see you've got some sense to you."

Anvi squinted to see if she could find a weapon on his person. She didn't see anything. She couldn't be sure, however. But she had to press on. She had been silent, left to her own devices for too long. She knew how to win, and while she didn't completely grasp the "how" yet, she knew the first thing she had to do was bring in others.

"So I'm sorry to have to skip the pleasantries, but I've been trying to think of a plan to beat the Americans. They're the real enemies here, of course, not the other kids. I have an idea, but you might not like it. Want to hear?"
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Oliver didn't mind Anvi getting right to the point, because it's not like he was asking about who she'd met out of genuine concern for her. He took a pause, looking her up and down again - if she was going to introduce her idea like he did to Samuel, then he'd probably end up with a bullet in the leg, and he didn't really want that. But then again he wasn't as annoying as Samuel, so it seemed unlikely - Oliver idly wondered if he'd bled to death yet before his attention returned and he acknowledged what Anvi was saying.

"Go ahead, ideas are good. I'm all for taking one for the team anyway."

There was always a chance they had the same idea - unlikely, but possible. He'd wait until she was finished with hers before introducing his, since maybe he could use her ideas in his own if it was good enough.

And if it all went sideways, he had that gun in his back pocket for a reason.
[+] Yesterday
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Alright, he was receptive. Anvi took a deep breath and continued on.

"So playing, winning the game is just playing into their hands. They want to prove we're just like them. That we're hypocrites, and we'll put all of our morals aside just to survive. If you win this game, what kind of life would that be, anyway. You'd be a pariah in Britain, and that's assuming the Americans won't just go back on their word and kill you, or keep you as a prisoner. Nobody knows what happens to the American winners, only that they never return home. Why would they treat us better?"

She stopped for breath, and to make sure Oliver was following her. After a moment, she continued. This would be the hard part. She glanced to the camera, barely visible in the darkness. There was no turning back now, she had to swallow her doubts and press on.

"We- we're doomed. No matter what. It's awful, but it's the reality. But we can still prove we're better than them. We have to stop the game. Convince the people left to stop killing. Just sit down together and wait it out. It's... I know it's easier said than done, and I'm still working on the specifics... but it's our only choice if we actually want to do some good. They'll execute us, but we'll show the entire world, the Americans, British, everyone, that we didn't submit to their demands. That we chose sacrifice our lives rather than abandon our principles. The General and Adams and the rest of those fascists will be furious. Maybe even some of the Americans watching, the smarter ones... for the first time in their damned lives, they'll realize there's a different way."

Anvi finished her speech. She was rather pleased with how that came out. She'd only gone over a loose outline in her head, but it all came out clearly once she started talking. It was a shame she'd never have the chance to watch the tape. However, she still had yet to see whether Oliver was clear headed enough to accept what she told him.

"So, what do you think?"
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

People would change, but things seemed to want to remain the same.

"No offense, but that's not going to work."

Oliver gave Anvi this, at least she had more gumption than Samuel - she seemed better suited to trying this as well, rather than being a rude delusional asshole like Samuel was. But in essence it was the exact same plan, and Oliver wouldn't be where he was if he didn't disagree with the core concept.

"It's probably very encouraging to think that everyone who wanted to side with the Americans and play the game got killed off yesterday in self-defense, but in my books that just means we have no idea if anyone left is going to go with them. And putting everyone in the same location just means it'll make it easier for them, and I don't plan on doing that. Like, I've got my own plan, it's very similar to yours, but mine's realistic."

Maybe if Oliver hadn't seem it the way he wanted to see it, he'd be more inclined to agree with Anvi, but there was no going back after deciding what he was going to do, so he couldn't help her.

"Survive to the end, make sure there's no survivor. Deny the Americans what they want, give home what they need - if there's a survivor, we'd only be taking energy away."

For Anvi's sake, Oliver hoped she took it better than Samuel, if at all.
[+] Yesterday
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

His words stabbed at her. They shouldn't have had an effect, she'd known that it'd be difficult convincing others, but they still did. She felt the heat rising, gritted her teeth. What right did he have to just dismiss her while talking about how "realistic" his own idea was?

Anvi knew her anger wouldn't serve her, so she kept it bottled. As much as she hated it, his opinion actually mattered. She had to keep trying, at least a little more.

"Look, I didn't say it was going to be easy... and we might not be able to do it right away. We might be down to, say, eight people before we can get everyone to agree. It wouldn't be ideal but it'd still send a message."

She was getting agitated despite herself.

"And what exactly did you say you want to do... win, but then kill yourself afterwards? What would that do? It doesn't matter whether there's a survivor or not, just that there's the footage of the Brits killing each other. And how the hell is that even more realistic? You're really gambling on being able to be the last one standing?"
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Finally, an actual debate.

It was so hard to actually engage with people on these sorts of things, even when they weren't in a fight to the death like they were right now. But Anvi actually wanted to make some points rather than calling him insane (like Samuel did) or a fascist or traitor scum (like online people defaulted to) - he had some respect for that.

Not much, since her idea was actually stupid, but some.

"You know, you're only the second person I've told about this, but I'm still already so tired of people thinking that a moral victory is going to do anything"

If Oliver had been less on watch throughout the day, he'd have relaxed as he began his diatribe, but as it stood he was ready to run at a moment's notice should anything go bad, so the grip on the flashlight tightened silently instead.

"Like you said, they want us killing, and they've already got us killing. They've won on that part, we can't do anything about that anymore. The moral high ground isn't going to help me, or you, or anyone, or even back home. We're all dead anyway, the only way we can do anything is to make our deaths mean something, and if that means making sure that our country is properly motivated to strike back and kill every single person in this fucking country so they never hurt anyone anywhere in the world ever again, well then I'm going to do that. If someone goes home they're suddenly a factor we don't need; they're taking attention away from war efforts, and we absolutely cannot afford that."

Oliver could see by Anvi's face that he was probably never going to make any headway on her, so he shrugged.

"But hey, if you don't like it, then come up with something better. Please."
[+] Yesterday
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

He wasn't goddamned listening he was just- he was so sure of himself, but he just didn't understand.

"I have. Think it over again." she started. She could barely contain her frustration at this point, and her hands balled into fists as she took a few steps towards him. "If Britain- or anyone, as able to destroy the US, they would have done it a long time ago. And it's stupid to think that killing yourself at the end's gonna change anything. If there's a survivor no one will do anything but somehow having a dead winner will get everyone off their asses and make them able to beat America?"

The worst part was that the idiot was right about one of the most important things, the plan was unrealistic.

"Maybe- if even your plan was more likely to succeed, it's a dumb idea to the core. Whether you survive won't have any effects on anything other than your own pathetic life! At least my plan- even if there's a low chance, it's something! What you're saying- it's nothing."

Maybe the most foolish part of her plan was expecting anyone else to be able to think rationally. She'd gone to school with these idiots her entire life, she should know better than that. But what else could she do?
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Oliver took back everything he said in his head about having any respect for Anvi, because now it was all gone.

She didn't know anything, not a single solitary thing - about how powerful their country was and how the fact that they were one of the only ones left not under America's sway made them just that powerful in the first place, about military strategy; really, she knew how to try and insult him, she made that very clear, but about anything else she was clueless.

"No, your plan is nothing. It's pointless, it's stupid, it sends a message that means absolutely nothing to anybody out there. Do you know what they're going to say once we all stop killing and they kill us all?"

Oliver puffed his arms out in an exxaggerated shrug, flailing the light around somewhat wildly.

"'Oh well! Onto the next one!'"

As his non-torch bearing hand came back down it brushed against the metal of the gun sticking out of his back pocket.

"You don't want to do this because it'll do anything, because it'll affect anything. You only want to do it because it'll make you feel better, and that's way worse than what I'm doing. At least mine's going to end with action, it's gonna end up with our country bombing the fuck out of America, you just want to sit around and prove you're better than everyone else."

Oliver didn't know why he was getting caught up in this argument. It wasn't his style, he wanted to just say his piece and leave, but Anvi had to know just how wrong she was.
[+] Yesterday
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

"You- you're stupid fucking plan's gonna end with nothing! Nothing! If- if anything, if the program works on us they're gonna keep doing it. If it fails publicly they won't want to risk another embarrassment!"

She wasn't trying to control her volume or her anger any more. This idiot was a lost cause. She'd just have to leave and try to find others who would listen to her. Let Oliver get himself killed trying to be the winner. Not yet, though, she had to finish her point.

"I'm trying to make myself feel better?" Anvi shouted. She stepped closer to him again and jabbed a finger in his direction. "You're trying to come up with excuses to go along with the game! Hell, I bet if you win- you won't but if you did- I bet you wouldn't even go through with it!"

Another few steps forward.

"How the hell does an idiot like you expect to do this all by yourself, anyway?"
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

It wasn't doing anything, arguing with this child who thought she knew everything, so Oliver wasn't sure why he was still here. He wasn't going to kill her, she didn't want to join him, they had no reason to still be around each other, so it was high time Oliver took his leave and she fucked off to wherever she wanted to while she pretended that her stupid plan was going to do something. But then she just had to go and ask why he was so confident.

"Oh, just with this."

Oliver reached into his back pocket and pulled out the magnum sticking out by the handle, shining his light on it as it became just as front and centre as the torch.

"You'd really be surprised what you can do with one of these. It blew such a spectacular hole in Samuel's leg a few hours ago, so much so I'd be surprised if he's still alive. So that's how I'm getting to the end and making sure nobody leaves, Anvi. Happy? I'm not just talking out my ass like you are."

For someone who prided himself on maintaining unflappable composure in the online sphere, Oliver was sure getting heated having to justify himself right now.
[+] Yesterday
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Anvi jerked back when the gun came out. Shit, he'd had that the whole time?! And he'd already shot someone. Talking about the hole he blew in Samuel's leg... damn, he wasn't an idiot, he was a fucking psycho.

"Ah... you..." Anvi's mind raced, and for once she didn't know what to say. "I guess y-you can use that."

The bastard wasn't planning on letting her leave alive, was he? Why would he? With his plan, letting her survive wouldn't make sense. She would be dead in a few minutes... no a few seconds. What terrible fucking luck she had, first person she talked to turned out to be crazy.

"So," she said, heartbeat punding in her ears. "What happens now?"

She couldn't die like this, letting this piece of shit get away with it. They weren't that far from each other, she noticed. It was a big gun... but how many shots would he be able to get off before she could reach him?

Return to “Western Dwellings (PV3)”