Carp Diem

Seas the Day: We are Day 6 now! (Now PM first) Content Warning: Graphic Grossness

These bubbling, oozing black pools found on the island's north-eastern side have a sinister appearance. Largely avoided by the miners, the tar pits are found in a grassy expanse of land with a few signs posted containing warnings; over the years, sunlight and rain has worn and corroded some of these signs almost but not quite to the point of unreadability.The biggest pits are obvious at a glance, but smaller patches or tar sometimes burst through the surface unexpectedly, and a number are hidden beneath underbrush. What cannot be mistaken, however, is the strong odor of tar which permeates the whole area.
Cake

Post by Cake »

"Hello," she called back, taking a few steps closer.

"We're okay, all things considered, better than most."

Some of the others were distracted, possibly still reeling from what they all heard a few hours ago. There was a boy with Sophie, some one Wendy could not recall the name of but remembered the face well around campus. She waved a slight welcome to him too, although he seemed to be preoccupied with something else. She turned around for a second, but all she saw was Theo as he continued to help stir the pot from behind.

"It's almost lunchtime. As you can see."

Sophie, was smiling, friendly, a great aura around her. Receptive and kind even if her name was mentioned twice. Not fake like Bunny, but genuine.

"What about you? Are you alright? After all these days? So much must have happened, since you fought Bunny off at the lake. I'm glad you made it. Bunny is a horrible, person and she hit Everett in the chest right in front of me..."

Wendy lowered her head. Looked up. What was that expression? Oh right.

"I'm sorry, you must be totally confused," Wendy spoke with a slightly embarrassed chuckle. "I was at the lake that first day and saw Bunny provoke you and Jeanette. Saw the whole thing. I remember everything. The fish. That was a great catch."
Latin For Dragula

Post by Latin For Dragula »

Sometimes Theo pictured his brain kind of like a train conducted by self-destructive ideation carefully managing a car full of anxiety. While he was always kind of on edge and nervous in some way, for the most part it was just enough to keep him moving through his day to day. Dark thoughts came in and came out with regularity and while he could never, ever say he was used to it, there was a sort of routine to it all that was almost comfortable when things were going for what passed as normal in his life. Then occasionally something kicked into overdrive and just started pounding shovel full after shovel full into the engine until he was careening wildly down the track with the inevitable crash looming larger every second.

Occasionally. Like how occasionally he spoke English, breathed oxygen, or had a heartbeat.

There was a sort of routine to this too though. He knew how it went way too well, and even if in the moment it always felt like the worst experience of his life, the disappointing truth was that often on reflection every attack was so, so familiar and didn't change much more than the one that preceded it. He hated them. He was terrified of them. But they were such a frequent part of his life that he wasn't surprised by them anymore.

What did surprise him, even after he'd been experiencing it for days, was that apparently the train could run on nothing. Maybe it always could and he never noticed back home because those moments were too brief. There was always something to catch his attention again before they could last. It was always like the train had stopped and as soon as something jarred him the journey was right back up again. But over these last few days, he'd learned that often he could close his eyes and let the car run empty and give it nothing to feed on but the background repetition of whatever simple task he'd committed to, and when he opened them again the trip was over and the train was at another station.

He wasn't thinking about the crick in his neck, or the sticky patches from his retrieved hat. Truth be told he didn't remember waking up that morning at all, he only sort of realized he was around and conscious as Wendy left him stirring at the pot to greet their new arrivals. There wasn't much reason for him to come to and glance up at them when he could have just kept staring at the soup he'd apparently helped make.

But he did. And he saw James. And he grinned right back as the train pulled into the station.

Okay.

We're doing this.
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

The girl that had greeted them now stood there and spoke, ostensibly to them both, but James wasn’t paying her any heed, it was the boy behind her who had his interest. Hard not to notice with the shitty hat on his head. Standing over a pot stewing like everything was fine. It had been days since he’d seen him, but that hadn’t stopped the feeling he felt towards, if nothing it made it worse. What he’d felt that day remained, and he could feel it right now bubbling. After everything that had happened to him, and this guy was walking around just fine? Not for long.

He took a few brisk steps forward, Theo’s head turned and finally noticed him. A smile formed on his face. James gave him a wide smile in return.

“Hello, Theo.” He scanned him up and down with his eyes, to see if he any had any particular wounds or injuries. Unfortunatly, he was in better shape than James was at the moment, but he did notice something peculiar. “I see you’ve lost your shoes.”
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Image (Adopted from Espional)
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Seemed like a party, right? Or a picnic. For a second there, Irene could almost pretend she wasn't stuck on an island, forced to murder her friends or be murdered. Except the bandages on her hand needed changing and Cleo was covered in tar and Irene knew that Kasumi had sunken into the tar right fucking there and people were exchanging News, capitalized for ominousness.

Well, she'll take what she can get.

Irene sat up, stood, and bowed deeply in the direction of the new arrivals.

"Yes, he has. He can tell you the rest of the details if he wishes to." She winks. Then she blinks.

"Sophie? Doth mine eyes deceive me? I wasn't sure what to expect from you, but you're good, right? We can trust you, right?"

Irene already did. Even as she glanced around to make sure the harpoon was safely within reach. She'd learned how to operate it now, too.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Wendy seemed happy to see Sophie and started to ramble on about something that gave Sophie some slight pause. Apparently, Wendy was at the lake the first day and saw Sophie catch the fish. It was kind of strange to think that someone else from that day was still around, but it also was sort of comforting. If Wendy did see all of that, then she was likely to believe that Sophie mercy killed Jeanette. Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad batch to be around.

It was a strong maybe because Irene seemed more incredulous about Sophie's goodness and James seemed to have some tension with Theo. Sophie decided to at least try and keep the peace and change the subject.

"Yeah, we're good," she told Irene. "I mean, we're not going anywhere in particular and really don't have any desire to do anything naughty...or...um...you know..."

Sophie found herself starting to trail off. For some reason, she was starting to find it hard to explain herself. Perhaps she was starting to doubt she could confirm her honesty and trustfulness by just talking. She might need to try something else.

Sophie looked over at the pot over the campfire.

"Wow, that smells good," Sophie said to Wendy. "After five days of bread and crackers, I didn't think I'd get to something as good as homemade stew ever again."
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
KamiKaze
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by KamiKaze »

It wasn’t long before morning came.

Felicia had been doing the same ritual. Have trouble sleeping? Grab the GPS, zoom in and out, see nothing new, set it down, rinse repeat. Her shoulders felt a little cold, though. She’d offered her jacket as a possible solution to Wendy’s… predicament. See, her idea was that she could tie it around her waist, so it’d give her a bit more modesty. It wasn’t perfect, but it was better than nothing. But she continued to try to keep an eye out for Ramona and Maxwell. If she saw their blips, it would be a good sign. They would be okay, and there would be less reason to worry.

When announcements came around, she was seated on the ground, holding the GPS. But she wasn’t looking at it. Her hands shook. Ramona had died. Saachi had… she’d killed her. Not only that, but a new emotion had surged over her about how he announced it. Her blood boiled. How dare, how dare he describe what happened to her and Zubin like that? It was bad enough they died, but to toss around innuendo like that, to sexualize it?

Not only that, but Rachael… she was gone, too. Someone had done something to her, but she didn’t get the name. It sounded like she got strangled, or crushed, or…

When the announcements clicked off, Felicia felt a whirlwind of emotions play out. Her skin crawled, her blood continued to boil, she felt like throwing up. Her features went dark and tense. But something brought her to her senses. She snapped out of it, and looked to the source.

“Yumi…”

She said little else. Just offered her arm to pull her close. They both needed it.

Some time later, she heard singing. Felicia turned her head, uncertain. More people? They got closer, and-

Sophie and James. Right. They were good people too, weren’t they? Maybe. She remembered something. Wasn’t Sophie… on the announcements too? Maybe it was good to give a benefit of a doubt like they did with Wendy, but… they’ll have to wait and see. Wendy and Irene had already began to talk with them. They seemed friendly enough? Apparently Wendy had seen Sophie earlier, something about a fish. Maybe that was what inspired her to make lunch today.

She had to admit, a warm meal would be good.

Felicia stood up, clutching the GPS. She hadn’t been looking at it in a while.

“Um… hey,” she said, with an awkward smile. “Yeah… it was Wendy’s idea to make some soup. I think it was a nice idea. Since we haven’t eaten much in a while…”
Aura

Post by Aura »

The waiting wasn't easy. Yumi couldn't let herself calm down, not for more than a few moments at a time. Even with Felicia right next to her, she was wary of everything going on around her. Even innocuous things, like Wendy walking from one side of her field of view to the other, were watched with anxious anticipation. She didn't trust her surroundings anymore. Anything could be dangerous, and at any time, things could take a horrible turn.

In spite of her extreme levels of nervousness, there was one small comfort that she found, and that was the numbers of the group. Always having been an introvert, Yumi never realized how comforting it was to be around people. Sure, she had always been around classmates or family members back home, but that was normal, and she never really registered it as something to pay attention to. It wasn't until she tried to make a go of things on her own a few days back that she realized how different it was when no one was around, and she had nothing but her own thoughts to keep her company. It had been a miserable, lonely experience, and the only thing she had learned from it was the importance of companionship.

Even so, she was slow to trust the two people that had just arrived. Neither of them were people that she was familiar with, so she played it safe and stayed by Felicia, letting her friend do all the talking.

Felicia brought up the soup that Wendy was working on, and Yumi couldn't help but be curious. She hadn't had anything to eat but bread and food bars for days, so something else might be a nice change of pace. She had to wonder where the idea came from, though. Culinary ideas didn't usually come out of nowhere, did they? Yumi wasn't a chef, nor did she do much cooking, so she didn't know how it worked.
Cake

Post by Cake »

"Right, right the soup. Theo! Theo is it ready?"

A stalled reaction, attention elsewhere. Hm, not this again. She wasn't going to have to fish a b— alright never mind there it was a delayed nod, but a response in the affirmative from the pot stirrer. Was that a smile. Odd to see on the dandelion's innocent face, but a welcome sight.

"Alrighty, chef Theo says it's lunchtime. We're using our cracker tins as bowls. Sadly we have no spoons, guess it's more serve and slurp. You're welcome to stay and have a share; stew is for everyone."

It smelled ready at least. The aroma was quite enticing. Maybe someone else would show up.

"It's fish." Wendy smirked. "Caught it at the same lake."

Her safari through the island was quite an experience. The lake, the field of flowers, the tar pits, the scorched ruins all unique places. Only the mess hall was somewhat average. Although she kind of wished the little cicada in green she had seen there would have been able to join them as well. After all her implied suffering, that cicada really could have used some of this lunch too and of course, she would have provided.

Wendy sat again at her now mostly emptied bag, devoid of most color, flowerless, but still full of essentials. She pulled out a few of her gathered tins in case others needed one. This was quite a picnic. Possibly bigger and brighter than the one with Kasumi. She rolled at the Louisville next to her and stuffed it into the day pack, handle end sticking out.

"So, Sophie: about Clio," Wendy mentioned out of the blue, casually, as she walked with Yumi, Felicia and her two new guest to the center piece section of her tar pit playground camp. "What happened there, if you don't mind me asking. Don't worry, I won't judge."

She held onto her tiny simper.

"Last time I seen her, she was at the meadow, with Theo here, right after I left the lake. She had quite the temper - savagely slashing down some flowers, can you believe that?"

Wendy shook her head, looking at Felicia. She appreciated the jacket she'd lended her. Wasn't quite pants but it would do.

"What did a couple of purple flowers ever do to anybody, right."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Okay, maybe they weren't completely trusting yet. Wendy wanted to know about Clio. Of course, Sophie needed to assume her questioning wasn't entirely malicious. Wendy did see Clio a few days ago, and apparently saw Clio doing some weird things in the flower field. Besides, Sophie had James with her, so he could corroborate.

"Well, I met Clio in the flower field on the third day," Sophie began. "She was furious that I killed Jeanette and wouldn't believe it was a mercy kill. She forced me to lead her to Jeanette's body or else she'd kill me. Once I proved that Jeanette's death wasn't murdered, James walked in. We talked, but Clio suddenly snapped and attacked him. She was really close to stabbing him to death, so I quickly hit her in the head with my sledgehammer."

Sophie lowered her head and scratched the back of her neck. She really hoped this was flying with them.

"And that was all."

She looked back up at the group.

"But we're not going to be trouble, so please don't worry. I don't intend to kill anyone unless there's no other option."
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

“Ah…”

So, from what Sophie said, Clio attacked someone else, so she did what she had to? And Jeanette was a mercy kill. Felicia tried to think a bit more. Was Clio on the announcements, too? But she apparently had a bit of a temper, so...

It seemed plausible enough. Maybe. She did give Wendy the benefit of a doubt, though, so? She didn’t know Sophie as well, she didn’t think, but it seemed like she was telling the truth. Maybe she could keep her eye on her a bit more, just in case, but again, Wendy got more… leeway, in a sense? If that’s the right phrasing.

“You’re free to stick around for a while,” Felicia said, offering her piece.

Hopefully her hesitation didn’t show in her voice. Wendy already said the same, but it bore repeating. She honestly wanted to say more about Sophie’s situation. It must have been hard to go through that. Felicia couldn’t imagine killing two people. Even if…

She thought of Lyndi, Zubin, and Ramona again, and shook her head without realizing it.

But what would Sophie have liked to hear?

Maybe just keeping them around was enough. Don’t treat them any differently, in a sense? Act normal, maybe don’t prod more unless they shared more.

Felicia grabbed her own tin, and found a place to sit down. It felt comfortably warm in her hands, like a mug on a cold winter’s day. Looking at it closely, bits of fish and what looked like purple cabbage floated inside the soup.

“Hey… um… thanks for the meal. It was a good idea, and it looks great.”

She smiled, and lifted the tin to her lips.
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Irene didn't like fish, so she shook her head no, all smiles and politeness. Was that weird? Was it appropriate to smile after someone explained how they ended up murdering someone? Was it weird to care about things like manners and politeness when they were stuck in this situation?

Shush. Don't answer that. It was natural to her and she wanted to. That's all there was to it.

End of discussion. Right. So what feels natural now?

Irene tip-toed over to the stew, bending and dipping her knees so that she bounced up and down with each step. She pulled her tin out, dipped it into the stew, took it out, inhaled the imaginary aroma deeply. Gagged down a mouthful.

"Mmm...it's delicious! And confirmed not poison!"

It was tasty! Okay, it was terrible. But-but-no, you've committed yourself to this now, Irene, you gotta stay in character now, and you said it's tasty, didn't you? So it's tasty. But what if pretending is part of the image you're projecting? What if you're the sort of person to lie about how the stew tastes so that it doesn't hurt anyone else's feelings?

Yeah, that's better. The soup didn't matter. The idea of the soup mattered, but the soup didn't matter. So it was okay to not like the soup, to not believe in the soup. Better to believe in herself, and Wendy, and Theo, and Feli and Yumi and Sophie and James and KK and Alice's ghost and Roy's dumb ass and Johnny's bad ass.

Irene moved back to where she was and pretended to spoon stew into her mouth, smacking her lips dramatically. Too dramatically? No, no. She was being precisely dramatic enough.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Generally, Yumi liked fish. Her grandma would make it sometimes, and she had her own way of marinating the fish to really make the flavor pop. Every time she made it, it was delicious, and Yumi would always try to make sure that there was a good bit left over for lunch tomorrow, usually a fairly large piece. She would probably say that it was a vice of hers.

Wendy's stew, on the other hand... it certainly wasn't Grandma Agata's fish. It looked chunky, and the purple cabbage floating around looked really weird. It also had a smell to it that made her question whether eating it was a good idea. She knew that Wendy had good intentions, but she wasn't even sure if it would be any better than the crackers and food bars that she had been living off of. But it had been cooked especially for them, and she wouldn't make any friends by being rude, so she took a small serving and sat next to Felicia, who was already starting to drink hers.

She brought the tin to her lips, the sound of the soup sloshing about just barely registering to her ears. The smell of the soup seemed to be intensified by the small container, held in by the walls and with no way to escape aside from finding its way into her nose. She didn't like it one bit, but she held in her displeasure and tipped the tin upward, the broth slowly creeping up the side and entering the thin passage between her lips.

Her reaction was immediate and visceral. Yumi had always had a very sensitive sense of taste, so everything she ate seemed a bit stronger to her than it did to everyone else. The broth of the soup was so bitter to her tongue that she nearly gagged straight away. Her body was actively resisting it, and it hadn't even made its way into her stomach yet. A small amount of the liquid trickled down her throat, and despite her best efforts to maintain composure, she coughed fiercely, spraying what was still in her mouth back into the tin, with a bit dripping down the side. She took the tin away from her face and wiped her mouth, shaking her head from the unpleasant sensation.

Right away, she realized how bad what she had just done must have looked. She looked around to find Wendy and swiftly offered an apology. "S-sorry..." She pointed to her throat. "Wrong pipe, I guess..." She was lying, but she figured that it was nicer to let Wendy think that she had swallowed wrong than to tell her straight-out that she hated the soup.

She put her tin of soup on the ground. She didn't feel too hungry anymore.
Cake

Post by Cake »

"It's okay, I understand."

The words were for Sophie who had confessed her entire story to them and repeated again for when Yumi coughed up the soup.

"We lacked the convenience of a kitchen, so our soup won't be as great as it could be, but my dad always says you can't really be too picky when cooking over a campfire out in the wilderness, you know?" Wendy spoke with a clear smile, her eyes squinting in unison.

"Thanks though Felicia. Irene." She put one arm over each of them for a one sided hug on both sides. "I appreciate it, I bet Theo does too."

It was like a big happy family. She wished it could have lasted forever. Sadly she knew it wouldn't - not with this game they were in. Wendy would just have to savor every second of bliss they had, while she still could. Seeing as it could end any moment now.

"You know what? here." Wendy handed Sophie two empty cracker tins, one for Sophie and one for Sophie's friend James.

"Help yourselves."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Wendy seemed to understand Sophie's story, and she showed it by offering Sophie and James a proverbial olive branch. Sophie smiled as she stepped forward and took a tin from Wendy.

"Thank you. I really appreciate this."

Sophie knelt by the cooking pot and scooped some soup out with the tin. She wasn't sure how good it would be, especially since Yumi and Irene seemed to have mixed reactions. But Wendy was right in that cooking over a campfire was like shooting in the dark, and Sophie sure wasn't going to look this gift horse in the mouth. She'd eat as much soup as Wendy offered to show her appreciation for the girl.

She sat cross legged on the ground, her bag and sledgehammer by her side. She slowly lifted the soup to her mouth and let it flow into her mouth. It did have a bit of an odd taste, but considering Sophie had spent five days living off bread, crackers, and water, something like a stew was incredible. She read that in survival situations eating warm liquids was recommended after days or weeks of malnutrition, so this would probably benefit her in the long run.

Sophie crunched on a bit of the cabbage in the soup and swallowed. She let out an exhale as she did.

"Wow, this is what I needed," she said, looking around at the group before turning her attention to Wendy. "Thanks, Wendy."
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

The soup was… okay, she guessed, but it had an odd aftertaste? Kind of bitter, something like some types of vegetables but stronger. Still, there were other parts she liked. The fish was lovely. Again, had to admit, some soup would do everyone some good after the past few days.

Felicia turned her head towards the coughing for a moment, a frown on her face. Was Yumi okay? It seemed like it didn’t sit well with her. For a moment, her intuitive reaction was to make sure she wasn’t choking, or-

Oh. She was fine. Felicia’s features loosened a bit. Just the wrong pipe, she guessed.

Wendy didn’t take any offense, though, which was good. Still keeping an eye on Yumi, she went for another slurp from her own tin. As Wendy served James and Sophie, Felicia got a piece of fish and a piece of the cabbage in her mouth. She bit down, the flavors mixing. The savory taste of the fish was overwhelmed by the more bitter flavor. It felt like it numbed her mouth a bit? A bit like if you bite into an unripe persimmon.

Felicia set her own tin down, running her tongue alongside the inside of her mouth. Her head felt a little weird, a little dizzy. Maybe she needed some water. She was feeling a little sweaty, too, so maybe she was just a little dehydrated.

Actually, maybe it was something else. Felicia put her hands to her abdomen. Her stomach hurt. It felt like she needed to go, or that she had cramps. When she first noticed it, it was bearable. But, it slowly got worse and worse. Maybe it was a good idea to excuse herself to get some privacy.

“Um… excuse me, but… I need…”

She tried to stand up. Her legs were numb, weak. Her head whirled.

Then, Felicia fell forward. The tin of soup spilled next to her.

What was happening, oh god what was happening? She couldn’t move and she felt sick and her stomach hurt and so did her chest and her mouth had a burning numbness and she couldn’t breathe, oh god she couldn’t breathe-

She put one hand on the ground, and tried to lift herself up with one weak arm. Her skin crawled all over, like spiders with needle sharp legs were piercing her. Then, that’s when she felt her stomach lurge. What she’d eaten had come back up, landing in the soil. Another forceful heave, and more came out. She heaved and heaved, until nothing came up, until that was the only thing she could do, until that was the only thing she could think about.

Somewhere in there, in between the retching and the gasps for air, someone could hear sobbing.

Return to “The Tar Pits”