Wish Away the Pain

Towering above the ocean far below, both the height of these cliffs and the rocks in the water beneath make it very obvious any fall from here will be lethal.
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Wish Away the Pain

Post by MurderWeasel »

((Mizuho Inada continued from The Worst Game in History))

Mizuho stood at the top of the tallest cliff, staring down at the waves crashing below. It was an incredible sight. The ocean spray made its way far up the cliff wall, almost far enough for her to feel it. She could close her eyes and pretend to be standing right in the middle of the mist, the water condensing on her face and running down her cheeks. She could certainly smell the sea. It added nicely to the illusion.

She was here to forget. Forget where she was. Forget what was going on. Forget what she had written. Forget Nanahara's body. It wasn't easy, though. So much had happened. So many things had gone wrong. How could she be standing here, just pretending she was somewhere else? Someone could easily sneak up behind her and push her over the side, send her tumbling head over heels through the air, the breeze on her face for a few seconds, until she hit the rocks and split open, bones breaking and organs spilling out, to be picked clean by the sea birds. She could almost feel it.

Mizuho opened her eyes and spun around, nearly losing her balance and turning her vision into reality. There was still nobody. She didn't think she had been followed, but she couldn't be sure.

In her left hand, she held one of her weapons, a hand grenade. The second one was still in her pack. She looked at it for a second. It was a cold green lump of metal, heavy in her hands, comforting. She could pull the pin and let it go and it would blow to pieces. There would be fire. Fire was purifying, wasn't it? She wished she had checked her bag earlier. If she had opened it in the school, seen the grenades then, she would have thrown them back into the classroom behind her, blown Kamon and the soldiers and her classmates and probably herself to pieces. It would have been a good way to die. It would have mattered.

Now, though, she couldn't do that. She could just stand here, up where she could take herself away. It was a little cold. She smoothed her skirt with her right hand, wondering what was happening to the others. How was Kaori doing? Kaori would probably be hiding too. Mizuho liked Kaori, the one girl who never got tired of her rambling games. Kaori would be fine.

Mizuho looked over the cliff again, but couldn't quite manage to forget reality, not now that she was thinking of Kaori. Mizuho sighed and stepped away from the cliff, found a promising rock, and sat down, laying her bags next to it. She stroked her pendant with her right hand, and the grenade with her left. They were both warm now, the same temperature as her body. They would keep her safe.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

((Yoshio Akamatsu continued from The Worst Game in Histroy))

Yoshio Akamatsu had never run so far in his life. He was a big kid, but he had never even gotten a lap on the school track field, or even been nimble and quick enough to catch a flyball. So the first thing he did when he reached what he assumed was the most northernly part of the island, was throw up in the nearest bush.

It came like a river, the contents of the previous days meal came soaring out of his mouth and into the now pale vegetation. Every muscle in his body ached and made him sore. If this was only the first hour or so, what would it be like for the rest of the short duration on the island that was the rest of his life?

After emptying his stomach, he trudged over to the nearest tree and threw himself down, laying his back on the bark. He was still tired from the gas, even after all this time. His weapon was still in his hand, in case anyone who left before him tried an ambush. He'd seen things like that in many of his RPG's and stuff. But right now, he didn't care. He wanted nothing more than to go to sleep, to retire, to make himself dream of games and television and everything or anything that would take him away from reality.

But he couldn't. His life depended on it. He couldn't be a doofus and screw it up.

He noticed that past many of the tree's that surrounded his area, was the cliff. He thought this would be here. It was like that on the map, so...yeah! This had to be it! But would she show up? He tried showing that note to Mayumi as subtle as he could, but was he too subtle? All he wanted to do was just not be alone for what would definitely be the last few days of his life. But she obviously wouldn't want to spend her last moments being with someone she never even knew, or talked to. She, Mizuho, and Kaori probably made fun of him, like everyone else in the class.

And speaking of Mizuho...

Akamatsu's eyes flickered towards the cliff's edge, and saw what was the unmistakable hairline of one of his classmates, the one and only Mizuho Inada. In one hand she was holding it up to her chest, possibly a necklace or something. In the other...

He turned around quickly, trying to hide himself. No! If she saw him she would kill him, wouldn't she? He couldn't let her see him.
[+] Yesterday
BR: B01 - Yoshio Akamatsu: Dear friend, You are a freak. You are not wanted. You are not necessary. And you are the only one who is.
BR: G09 - Yuko Sakaki: and although the fingers slice things such as oranges and bodies, we can no longer be reasonably sure what these things are.
PV1: F03 - Chanel Martin: Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world.
PV1: M17 - Matthew Payne: I don't know the question, but sex is definitely an answer.
TV1: BLU2 - Anna Hitchins: I am uncomfortable with the fact this conversation isn't about me.
TV1: BLK3 - Holly Hergenroeder: Tho'th who make peatheful revolution impothible will make violent revoluthun inevitable.
Virtua: F12 - Jacqueline "Cameo" Conroy: I am not looking to escape my darkness, I am learning to correct the monster I created there.
Virtua: F20 - Ramona Shirley: Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the body and explosions to everything.
SC1: B04 - Preston Grey: We often miss opportunity because it's dressed like a cheerleader and looks like it's about to shoot you in the face.
SC1: G07 - Anna Kateridge: Laziness is the first step towards somehow finishing in 8th place.
PV2: F17 - Erin Underwood: There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of getting kicked through a tree branch.
TV2: CJ5 - Jaxon Street: Fashionable people don't necessarily fall in love with fashionable people.
SC2: G03 - Lyndi Thibodeaux: To be a good leader, you sometimes need to go down the parish path.
SC2: B20 - Jason Andrews: It's time to water down the standards which would lead to bravery.
PV3P: M05 - Santiago "Sandy" Ibarra: And so the mongoose lay with the solenodon.
PV3P: F22 - Nani Clover: Be the survivor you wish to see in the world.
PV3P: M43 - Grant Moore: In this game, American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.
PV3: F11 - Calista Carpenter: Doing things you hate for people you love is what it means to be family.
PV3: F13 - Oliver Davies: Many boys owe the grandeur of their games to their tremendous delusions.
TV3: SB09 - Emmett Purcell: Men, give your power to the bitches that deserve it.
TV3: BC07 - Ashanti Baker: Don't speak your mind, even if your throat shakes to speak.
INTL: O01 - Rainbow Moseki: Hide yourself in music, so when someone wants to find you, they can kill that first.
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:
Holly Hadaway: "Could you imagine if I never got my teeth fixed? Who'd take me seriously?"
Jason Foley: "Get on my level, scrublord."

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Mizuho sat for some time, just staring off into space. She didn't hear Yoshio arrive, didn't hear him vomit in the bushes. She wouldn't have noticed him at all, except that she happened to catch the faintest of movements out of her peripheral vision, down among the trees. She spun in that direction, keeping her grip on her weapon but releasing her necklace. If she had to fight, she would need her free hand to pull the pin.

Something had moved down there. Something had definitely moved.

Her imagination teamed up with her fears and started working full speed. She thought of wolves, dragons, tigers. Aliens. She thought of just about everything she could, trying to push away the most likely possibility. She couldn't escape it, though. It was one of her classmates. One of her classmates was down there, hiding, maybe (probably?) planning to kill her.

She could be reasonably sure they didn't have a gun, or, if they did, were a bad shot, since she hadn't been shot dead. Now all she had to do was sneak around them, hide in the treetops, drop down on them, get them in a headlock, throw them to the ground, stuff the grenade into their mouth and run away, leaping dramatically from the cliff to swing to safety on a rope as the explosion behind her consumed her assailant and most of the surrounding forest.

...that wouldn't work at all. She couldn't keep relying on her imagination. It would get her killed trying something silly. She hadn't been attacked yet. It was probably fine. As fine as it could be in this sort of situation, which wasn't very fine at all, but not too horrible, either. She had to do something, make some approach, break this impasse. What could she do, though? Shout? That wouldn't be very smart.

"Hello?" she said quietly, looking towards the trees. She hoped she had spoken loudly enough, but just to be sure, she repeated it with a bit more gusto. "Hello?"

She gripped the grenade tightly. If she was attacked, she wasn't going to die without a fight.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

As soon as the weird girl spun around, Akamatsu clasped his hand over his mouth as quick as he could. She saw him, didn't she? Was she going to....no! She wouldn't would she? He tried to stop his heavy breathing, but all the hand over his mouth managed to do was almost make him pass out from lack of oxygen. Dammit, how did all those characters do it in those stealth games so easily?

His eyes confirmed it: she definitely had a grenade in her hand. It was real, really really real. If she took the pin out the explosion mere seconds later could probably kill him. Should he have come here? What if she had read the note, wanted to meet up, and came here and he wasn't here? Stupid, stupid stupid Akamtsu! He should have actually passed the note instead of show the note. She didn't see it did she? He was going to be stuck here, and someone was going to push him over the cliffs or shoot him or stab him or blow him up because he was so stupid!

Akamatsu backed away from the edge of the trees, unintentionally, backing into a bush. He yelled out in fear, and scrambled around, making a lot of noise in the process. He managed to free himself, grabbed his bag and compass and all his stuff, and tried to run away...

...and instead ran right out into the open, near the edge of the cliff.

He saw the sharp, jagged rocks and the frothing sea meet the bottom of the cliff, and he yelped in terror as he fell on his backside and backed away from the edge. He just noticed the girl there, the grenade gripped tightly in her hand. He whimpered in fear, as he, as quickly as he could, threw all his belongings in his open bag, and withdrew the collapsable baton from the bag. He held it tightly with both hands, raised it near his head, and started to slowly, ever so slowly, shift away from Mizuho.

"S-s-stay back!" he said with a large amount of fear growing in his voice. Would he have to fight for his life so early in the game?
[+] Yesterday
BR: B01 - Yoshio Akamatsu: Dear friend, You are a freak. You are not wanted. You are not necessary. And you are the only one who is.
BR: G09 - Yuko Sakaki: and although the fingers slice things such as oranges and bodies, we can no longer be reasonably sure what these things are.
PV1: M17 - Matthew Payne: I don't know the question, but sex is definitely an answer.
TV1: BLU2 - Anna Hitchins: I am uncomfortable with the fact this conversation isn't about me.
TV1: BLK3 - Holly Hergenroeder: Tho'th who make peatheful revolution impothible will make violent revoluthun inevitable.
Virtua: F12 - Jacqueline "Cameo" Conroy: I am not looking to escape my darkness, I am learning to correct the monster I created there.
Virtua: F20 - Ramona Shirley: Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the body and explosions to everything.
SC1: B04 - Preston Grey: We often miss opportunity because it's dressed like a cheerleader and looks like it's about to shoot you in the face.
SC1: G07 - Anna Kateridge: Laziness is the first step towards somehow finishing in 8th place.
PV2: F17 - Erin Underwood: There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of getting kicked through a tree branch.
TV2: CJ5 - Jaxon Street: Fashionable people don't necessarily fall in love with fashionable people.
SC2: G03 - Lyndi Thibodeaux: To be a good leader, you sometimes need to go down the parish path.
SC2: B20 - Jason Andrews: It's time to water down the standards which would lead to bravery.
PV3P: M05 - Santiago "Sandy" Ibarra: And so the mongoose lay with the solenodon.
PV3P: M43 - Grant Moore: In this game, American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.
PV3: F11 - Calista Carpenter: Doing things you hate for people you love is what it means to be family.
PV3: F13 - Oliver Davies: Many boys owe the grandeur of their games to their tremendous delusions.
TV3: SB09 - Emmett Purcell: Men, give your power to the bitches that deserve it.
TV3: BC07 - Ashanti Baker: Don't speak your mind, even if your throat shakes to speak.
INTL: O01 - Rainbow Moseki: Hide yourself in music, so when someone wants to find you, they can kill that first.
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:
Holly Hadaway: "Could you imagine if I never got my teeth fixed? Who'd take me seriously?"

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Mizuho's words were met with more noise, lots of it, as whoever was in the trees crashed around. Either they were being clumsy, or they were trying to let her know they were there, trying to rattle her, get her to react rashly. She almost threw the grenade right then, almost panicked and screamed, but she couldn't do that, she couldn't risk hurting someone who meant her no harm, someone like Kaori.

A yelp came from the bushes, and Mizuho straightened. Whoever it was certainly didn't sound that dangerous. In fact, the male voice sounded absolutely terrified. She was preparing to call again when Akamatsu stumbled clear and fell to the ground. He almost crashed over the edge, to his death. Some perverse part of Mizuho was disappointed that he didn't. She could imagine it so clearly, and Akamatsu was such a big guy, probably very heavy and not aerodynamic in the slightest. As he recovered, though, he pulled some sort of stick or club from his bag, and started to slowly move away from her.

Mizuho could sympathize with Akamatsu. They really had a lot in common. Both of them were viewed as less mature than their classmates, Mizuho with her pretendings and imagination, and Akamatsu with his video games. Both preferred to live a little outside of conventional reality. Mizuho chose the imaginary because it was so much more entertaining, so much more magical and interesting. She had invented whole worlds, whole realities apart from her everyday existence, and they were just plain nicer places to be. She didn't know that Akamatsu was the same way, but she could guess. Both of them were picked on from time to time. Mizuho had Kaori to talk to, Kaori who never got sick of her games. Did Akamatsu have anyone? She didn't know. She'd never spent any real time around the boy.

He told her to stay back, and Mizuho frowned. Why was he so afraid of her? What could be going wrong? He was looking at her like she was the potential murderer.

Oh, right. She was. All of them were. Mizuho had forgotten that Akamatsu couldn't know her intentions. He only had that little baton to defend himself with, and she was holding a grenade. She's sort of forgotten that, too.

Mizuho leaned a little and picked up her duffel bag, never turning her back on Akamatsu. Once she had it next to her, she carefully placed her grenade inside, still within easy reach, but out of view. Maybe that would calm him down. She sure wasn't going to lower her guard, though.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Yoshio," she said quietly. She was being familiar with him, maybe a bit impolite, but—she hoped—more likely to put him at ease. "You don't have to be afraid."

Mizuho spoke in something of a monotone, focusing more on getting her words right than delivering them in a particularly dynamic—or warm—way.
Senaria*

Post by Senaria* »

((Mayumi Tendo continued from The Worst Game in History))

After leaving the classroom and...That Thing...Mayumi reached down to open the bag that was now around her shoulder. North, north...North meant an ally. It meant safety. Mayumi nodded reassuringly to herself, and began fumbling around in her bag, flinching as her fingers brushed the sides of a cold, metallic object. She took a deep breath and shoved the item further into the depths of her bag, and took out the compass instead. Strangely, focusing on the little needle seemed to calm her down, and filled her with a sense of purpose.

She was going to meet up with Yoshio, and then they would figure this out together. Right? Everything would be fine now. She wasn’t going to be alone. Not that she’d ever really spoken to Yoshio, but...He wouldn’t hurt her, right? He was alone, and as terrified as her. Just wanted company...Surely he wasn’t going to play the game? He’d said so on that note. That note for her.

Right.

Mayumi snorted, and let out a burst of high, tinkling laughter as she continued stumbling north towards the cliffs, almost falling over on a number of instances. Not going to be alone for this! Yoshio would look after her! Yea!
She was still giggling softly as she reached the base of the cliff, and swayed in an almost drunken manner. Why did everything seem so funny to her right now? There wasn’t anything remotely funny about her situation, yet she couldn’t help but laugh out loud as each thought, no matter what it was, danced through her mind.

I’m on an island with no way out, I’m a contestant in The Program, and yet I’m still heading to the cliffs to seek help from someone I don’t even know that well. What if that’s why he tried showing me the note? Because I’ll be easier to kill? Less guilt?

She was surprised to find that tears were once again running freely down her face, with sobs mixing with her laughter and turning it into a strange sort of choking noise. She’d never felt so scared, or helpless before. There was no way to stop the program, and so she was going to die like most the others. And perhaps her death was lying ahead, in wait.
But...She desperately needed to be with someone. Being alone on the island...Well, the thought terrified her. At least, she thought dully, if Yoshio is going to kill me then it’ll be over soon...

She was nearly at the top of the cliffs now, still alternating between crying and laughing. Plants whipped at her feet, and the sound of waves reached her ears. On more than one occasion she walked into a bush, sending a new jumble of noises into the area, not least of which was “OW!

Nearly there...What’ll await me? Friend or foe?

By now, she wasn't even sure if she cared about which one it was.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Senaria. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Akamatsu, in fact, had never had a true conversation with Mizuho Inada. As much as he regretted it, he never really had a conversation with most of his classmates, particularly those who would bully him. But now, in the present, a girl with a grenade threatened him, and he never even had any common ground to settle on and try and stop her.

But what both surprised and relieved him, was that she placed her grenade in her bag, without even making a slim attempt to chuck it in his direction or try to take out the pin and take out the cliff edge they were on.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Yoshio,"
Akamatsu tried to stop breathing as heavily as he was. This girl, who could have blown him to smithereens with the flick of a pin, wasn't making any attempt at an attack. But...tha-that's what all bad guys did, wasn't it? They made you take your guard down, and then attack when you're not looking! Of course!
"You don't have to be afraid."

He wasn't really sure why, but...the moment the words left Mizuho's lips, Akamatsu felt a sense of calm fill him from his fingers to his toes. A voice, calm and caring, started speaking to him, making him think.
Nobody's really said that to you today, have they?
Akamatsu slowly, veeeeery slowly, started to lower the baton. He...he started to remember what she was really like. She could often be seen living out her fantasy worlds with her friends, Kaori, and Mayumi. She was picked on for that, wasn't she? All she wanted to do was escape this real world, with this really really bad government and live in a world of her own creation. It-It resembled him far too much, didn't it? He liked playing video games, because of the characters, and the lands that could be visited, and...and...he was picked on for that as well. So...maybe...maybe...is she really able to or going to actually use that grenade on him? He didn't have any intention of killing this girl, who in the last 5 seconds, realized he had far much more in common with than he ever would have found out at school. Maybe, if he had not intention of killing, could she possibly have the same mind?

Before he knew it, the first words had left his mouth.
"R-r-r-really? You-you're not going to kill me?"

And also before he could acknowledge his body's actions, the baton was at his side, held limply in one hand while the breeze whispered the scene. No crying now, Yoshio, you need to grow up.
It was also during that time in which he heard more rustling in the bushes. His eyes darted towards the greenery, when he heard a female voice cry out from beyond them.
His panic back again, he held up his baton in a vane attempt to defend himself. If this was one of the tough girls, like Mitsuko, or Hirono, it would be of no use, now, would it? They probably had guns, and could shoot him off the island then and there.
"Wh-who's there?" he said in his shakiest voice.
[+] Yesterday
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

To Mizuho's great relief, Akamatsu calmed down, visibly relaxing a little. Before she knew it, he had shakily asked her to confirm her intentions and lowered his baton to his side.

"Yeah," she said. "I don't want to hurt anyone."

Silently, a little voice in her head added, Well, unless they hurt other people. Then you have a duty to do something, no?

Then there were more noises down, below, more crashing and a female voice complaining. Who could it be? The voice definitely did not belong to Kaori. It sounded familiar, though. It couldn't be Souma, could it? Mizuho had a brief, horrible vision of Mitsuko charging out of the bushes, a machine gun in each hand, firing nonstop and blowing both Mizuho and Yoshio away, before blowing the smoke from the twin barrels. No, no, that couldn't be, though; Mitsuko wouldn't possibly be that clumsy. It had to be someone else, someone less dangerous.

Remembering the effect her grenade had had on Akamatsu, Mizuho left it in her bag, still out of sight but within very easy reach, and strained her eyes to make out the interloper. The darkness was very inconvenient. Mizuho wanted to see the sunrise, wanted to bask in its rays. The sun was always one of her favorite parts of nature, and also one of her favorite astrological forces. Her imaginary worlds always had a sun god, or, more often, goddess. Sometimes it was even her.

At that moment, Mizuho resolved to live at least until the sun came up. No matter what.

She blinked her attention back to whoever was down there, as Yoshio called out, asking the mysterious girl to identify herself. Mizuho considered adding her own voice to the greeting, but decided not to; if it was someone dangerous, it would better to surprise her, let her think Akamatsu was alone and then get the jump on her. If it really was Mitsuko, only with a katana, Mizuho would watch as she charged Yoshio, then whip a grenade into her head, baseball-style, sending her flying off the cliff to explode midair like New Year's fireworks. Yeah.

Never mind that the angle was all wrong.
Senaria*

Post by Senaria* »

Mayumi stopped dead as a male voice reached her ears. The bush that she had just pulled herself out of crackled treacherously as it returned to its normal shape, causing her to wince. Her heart started to beat faster, and she whipped her head around, searching for anything that would make a good cover. Trees and...Bushes. Great. Nothing that would keep her hidden for long. What if...What if the person up ahead had a gun or a grenade? She’d have no chance! If she showed her face they might open fire or something!

Wait...It’s probably just Yoshio. Not some psycho lying in wait, right? Just him. Who else would it be? Stop being so stupid!

Breathing out slowly, Mayumi replayed the sound of the voice inside her head, noticing for the first time that the owner sounded terrified. Was that Yoshio’s voice? Rather hard to tell...Her recollections of him did not include any conversations. From what she remembered, Yoshio didn’t really talk to anyone. Just played with his video games. Right now, she found herself immensely interested in such things. To be able to lose herself in a make-believe world, to pretend that she wasn’t on this sick program...

After a few more moments, Mayumi finally walked forwards, squinting into the poor light. Shadows danced in front of her, concealing most things from sight. Whilst it hadn’t mattered much on the journey up - apart from when she walked into bushes- now she was feverishly wishing that it was brighter, so she could see what was lying in wait. Just in case it was someone with hostile intent. Not that it would be, she told herself. But still...It would be nice to see...In-case-and-I’m-not-believing-it-for-a-second-it’s-someone-who-will-try-to-kill-me. She ran that thought through her head quickly, as though trying not to ‘jinx’ it.

Rather guiltily, Mayumi stretched out a hand towards her bag again. Her weapon would be in it, she knew. Just like she knew that she wouldn’t be able to use it. The thought of turning on her classmates...Appalled her still. But others might not share her aversion. Being completely trusting might be the dea- earlier death of her. More tears filled her eyes at that, and the sense of hopelessness returned, burning in the pit of her stomach like boiling oil. Choking out another sob, she opened the bag and stuck a hand in blindly. What’ll be in there?

She pulled out the slightly heavy item, and stared at it in shock. It was a gun. And a fairly powerful one, by the looks of it. Well, it’ll be fine for my purpose...If people think that they don’t have a...A good chance of killing me without getting killed themselves, then maybe it won’t come to...Blows. Fighting down her revulsion, Mayumi held the gun up and moved forwards into the open, eyes darting around the area in search of the owner of the voice. Where w-

A flicker of movement caught her eye, and she squinted into the shadows, swinging the gun around to the spot. It was a large, hulking shape. Pushing her rising panic away, she blinked, straining her eyes to make out detail, taking care to keep her gun pointed the right way.

It’s...Yes! It’s Yoshio! Oh my god yes! He’ll look after me- He doesn’t want to fight! He...He’s got a...

The panic returned as she spied the drawn weapon that Yoshio was carrying, and she clutched the gun tighter. It never entered her mind that it was a baton, just that it was a weapon. Pointed at her.

Licking her lips, Mayumi spoke, attempting to keep the fear from her voice. Even the gun she held now didn't comfort her- She still felt outclassed by Yoshio with his baton.
“Are you...Are you going to...To...H-hurt me?”
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Senaria. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ciel

Post by Ciel »

(Izumi Kanai continued from The Worst Game In History)

... Where the hell was she?!

Izumi Kanai felt tears streaming down her face. She was nervous as hell. It had been hours since she'd even seen another living person. She was hungry. She was tired. And even if all of these things were fixed, it didn't change the fact that in a few days Izumi Kanai, the girl from Class B from Shiro Iwa Junior High School, would be dead. A corpse. Worm food.

Izumi hadn't even bothered looking in her bag. It was way too light and besides she had decided at the beginning that she would never be able to fight. This was obvious - after all Izumi had as much athletic ability as a little child. Sure she had energy, but she had no muscle to back that up. Attacking people would be fruitless. Besides, Izumi liked her classmates. She didn't want to see them die. She liked them.

Izumi stopped walking and rubbed the tears out of her eyes. "Okay, Izumi, calm down. Calm. Down."

Izuma felt the need to look through her bag. She plopped down on the ground and opened the bag. Everything that was supposed to be in there was in the bag. Izumi smiled sadly as she pulled out a metallic object out. What was it? Izumi looked at it, confused.

"Haaa... what the heck is this thing?" She said as she flicked the switch on the side on. The screen on the front sprang to life, taking the girl by surprise. Was this a GPS? Izumi had never seen one so small, much less ever owned one. There appeared to be a squiggly line running over the upper side of the screen - the edge of the island, Izumi figured.

What were those three dots just a few clicks away? Other students? Good? Bad? At this point Izumi didn't care. It would be good just to see someone else! Izumi packed up her things and headed north.

As she grew closer to the edge, Izumi could hear faint rustling ahead of her. Izumi's hopes began to rise. She was growing closer to a clearing up ahead. Izumi could even hear voices, though being as faint as they were she couldn't make out who was there. She finally reached the cliff... wait, what? A cliff? Izumi shrugged to herself. It wasn't unexpected, moreover she just wasn't expecting a cliff to be... hey wait.

Izumi looked at the cliff and saw people. This was enough to make her excited but there was someone who looked familiar. Izumi tilted her head. She couldn't put her finger on it. She took a few steps forward before she realized. That hair... She'd recognize it anywhere.

It was Mayumi Tendo, one of her best friends. What luck!

"Hey!" she called out to her friend, a little too enthusiastically. "Hey! It's Izumi! Over here!"
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Akamatsu was still nervous, even if the noise was likely Mayumi. He held his baton high, even though it had little to no chance of making any damage to another person. He heard the bushes move again, and saw the girl which he had tried desperately to get the message to, step out of hiding-
-with a machine gun.

“Are you...Are you going to...To...H-hurt me?”
Akamatsu's eyes flickered to the gun. It was big, and it could probably turn him to red mist before he even tried to move. He let out a small yelp, and dropped the baton on the ground.

"No! No, of-of course not!"
He was relieved that he came. From what movies and stuff taught him, there was always safety in numbers. And a girl with a grenade, a girl with a machine gun, and a boy with a police baton was better than the latter on itself any day.

He looked at Mayumi's eyes. They had been crying a lot. Chances were many of his classmates were crying now. That fragile girl, Motobuchi, Noriko...there was nothing to be happy about in their situation.
Gulping, Akamatsu spoke out again.
"Th-thank's for coming. I didn't think you'd come."

Just as he finished speaking, he noticed another voice appearing in the area. Behind Mayumi was another girl, one he recognised almost instantly.

Izumi Kanai.

Yoshio sighed another - well, sigh - of relief. He was so lucky that he didn't run into anyone who would probably kill all of them right there.

"H-hi Izumi." Yoshio stuttered.
[+] Yesterday
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Mizuho watched as the girl stepped clear of the bushes. Mayumi. Someone she knew. Someone she liked. Someone who was holding one big gun in her hands. Mizuho found herself frowning slightly as Mayumi talked to Akamatsu. For a second, it looked like the whole thing was going to explode into a fantastic bloodbath, with Mizuho sitting off to the side, watching awkwardly until the smoke cleared.

Then, Yoshio lowered his weapon, and the situation seemed to calm down. A little. It had almost hit the point where Mizuho would show herself. Mayumi wouldn't shoot her. Akamatsu wouldn't hit her. They would be fine. They could form a group, figure out some ingenious plan, get some weapons, and invade the schoolhouse, guns blazing! They could stop this madness, throw that fat man Kamon on the ground, clap him in a collar, and make him run a relay race all over the island, huffing and puffing to keep his head from blowing up. Yeah! They would lie, though. The collar wouldn't be armed. They would just let him think he was in danger, then, at the very end, he would cross the finish line, crying tears of joy and relief, no matter how well or poorly he'd run the race.

And then, in accordance with the principles of justice and right, Hirono and Yukie would shoot him in tandem, in the chest, so he could bleed out on the ground, just like Shuuya had.

Mizuho started to move, when the final voice cut in, freezing her on the spot. A third interloper. Izumi. Izumi was someone Mizuho did not know well. Izumi was not like Mayumi and Yoshio. She wasn't really an outcast. She wasn't someone the others made fun of for her imagination. She wasn't someone who put up with Mizuho's ramblings. She was just... normal.

Normal was something Mizuho couldn't quite trust in her current frame of mind. The cliffs were getting too crowded. The noise level was getting too high. Soon, somebody would come after them, somebody dangerous, like Souma. There were explosives and a machine gun here. People would die. Many people could die. Mizuho did not want to die yet. The sun had not yet come up.

She didn't like cutting out on Yoshio and Mayumi, but she couldn't see things going well. If she announced herself now, she might even spook them. Mayumi and Izumi didn't know she was here. What if they got the wrong impression? What if they both shot her, and she fell backwards from the cliff, arms spread, like an angel falling from the stars? What then?

Then she would die. The end.

That couldn't happen yet. She had to get away. Even Yoshio might attack her if he felt threatened. He'd agreed to meet up with Mayumi. What if they were plotting something? Mayumi was a friend, and Yoshio seemed like he could become one too, but there was always a chance that it was a ruse, that they would soon be fighting to the death. Mizuho could not take that. She couldn't. She couldn't possibly watch one of her few friends, one of her "fellow warriors", as she had always jokingly thought of Mayumi, cut down.

It was just too complicated. Better to spare them any trouble. Better to slip off now, while she could.

Timing her movements while the others were talking, Mizuho slipped quietly off the rock, gathered her pack as silently as she could, and slowly but surely crept away. If they worked things out, if there was no killing, she could meet them again, perhaps, and then they could form a team. Right now, she wasn't at all ready to trust so many, so many who could do such horrible things to her. No. Not yet. Instead, she would sneak away, oh so very quietly, down the cliffs to find a boat and sail away from this madness, into the sunrise.

Yes.

No.

She would keep her thoughts straight, keep herself together, and make her way out of here alive.

Mizuho slipped away from the cliffs, leaving Yoshio, Mayumi, and Izumi behind. She rubbed her glass necklace, sending a silent prayer to the forces she didn't believe in to keep them safe and let them meet again, when the time was right.

((Mizuho Inada continued in And Oh, What a View...))
Senaria*

Post by Senaria* »

As Mayumi stared at Akamatsu, taking in the fear that was so plainly shown in his expression, it finally occurred to her that she’d been an utter moron. Here she was, still aiming a gun at Yoshio and she’d asked him if he was going to hurt her. How stupid could she get? They’d only just started this...Program for real and already she’d lost the trust for her friends, it seemed. She let out a shaky breath and lowered the gun, forcing herself to smile at Yoshio. She could feel the blush start to creep into her cheeks, and averted her eyes guiltily.

You idiot. That’s a baton he’s got! Think about it! What did you think he was going to do- Chuck it at you? Carry on like this and you’ll alie-

"No! No, of-of course not!"

...See? He’s still the same. Just scared, like you. And you had to go and scare him even more, not giving a thought for how he was feeling. Of course he’s not playing!
Mayumi paused her train of thought, one hand slowly putting the gun back in her bag. She had no need for it here...And probably wouldn’t be able to use it even if she did. She wasn’t even sure if it was loaded.

She peered curiously at Yoshio, the poor light making shapes shimmer in front of her. How many friends has he got? How many people talk to the poor guy...?
And for that matter, how were her friends doing? Rather shamefully, she hadn’t spared more than a moment’s thought for them. Too desperate to find a companion for herself that she hadn’t thought about the others. Would they be finding people too? Teaming up? Trying to beat the system? She hoped so.

"Th-thank's for coming. I didn't think you'd come."

Bah! Once again she’d been busy drifting around in her own mind, ignoring Yoshio again! She blinked furiously, trying to make herself stay in the real world rather than her own head for more than a few seconds.
“Uhm, yea. Thank...Thank you for...Well, asking. I didn’t want to be alone...” Mayumi shrugged sheepishly, still consciously aware of her mess-ups.

“Hey! It's Izumi! Over here!"

Mayumi blinked, giving a small start. One of her friends was here too? Oh, yes! Yes yes yes! Izumi!
She gave Yoshio a happy smile, and spun around, hearing Yoshio give his greeting as she did so. For a moment, things felt good again. There were two people here! She wouldn’t face this program alone, living in fear of being ambushed in the dark, shot in the back, picked off without a thought...
Mayumi shook her head, trying to clear her mind of those thoughts, and peered over her shoulder at Akamatsu again.
Yoshio...Well, she couldn’t imagine him hurting anyone. He was a big softy, wasn’t he? Never fought back when he was picked on... And Izumi! Now that she was here...
Mayumi turned back, and smiled broadly at her friend.

“Izumi! I’m...So glad it’s you! Akamatsu is here too! We’re gonna be alright!”
Ciel

Post by Ciel »

Izumi smiled widely. What luck! Mayumi was there! She was okay! Deep in the depths of her chest, she was dreading that her best friend was one of the first ones gone, and that Izumi was all alone. The girl gave a big dumb grin as she ran up and hugged her, unaware to the gun that was clutched in Mayumi's hand. It took her a moment to realize it and when she finally managed to get a glance at what the heck was in her hand. She froze, her hands losing their grip around her friend.

"Y-You... woah."

She bit her lip and took a step back. Yeah, sure, she KNEW that Mayumi wasn't going to hurt her. It was more of the realization that all of this was for real. And the gun was huge! She could blow someone's head off clean if she wanted. It was bad enough that she had terrible images of her own death. What if Mayumi had to use that thing against someone? Or, even worse, what if SOMEONE grabbed it and used it on her.

"Jeez Mayumi... you weren't even thinking of using that thing right?" She asked uselessly, her hand fingering the metal object that she had at her waist. She vaguely held it up for Mayumi to see. "Ahh. This is what I got. It's how I found you and Yoshio. I'm thinking it'll be pretty useful actually."

This was the point where Izumi acknowledged Yoshio. To be frank she never knew Yoshio personally. Didn't he just stay in the back of the room and play video games? Even so, Izumi tried to force a smile. No reason to not be friendly to a guy who wasn't attacking her at least. "Hey," she said a little nervously. "Some crazy shit we got ourselves into huh?"
The Director

Post by The Director »

((Megumi Eto continued from The Worst Game In History))

Good weapons, girls get good weapons, they get the good weapons. Good, real good weapons they get...

Female Student #3, Megumi Eto, had been moving ever so slowly across the island, baby steps, really. Every shadow and every noise had made her jump a mile high or just freeze with debilitating fear. If it wasn't for the gun she had clutched in both clammy hands, then Megumi might have just stood paralysed outside of the school building until somebody came along and put her out of her misery.

Shuffle shuffle. Shuffle shuffle.

Megumi happened to look up, hearing voices. There was a trio standing just outisde the treeline! No! No! She couldn't have run into her classmates! Good weapons for girls meant all girls! She wasn't popular! She wasn't tough or a rebel! They'd just be fine with taking her out! Megumi, silly daydreaming Megumi, always reading comic books, looking at... looking at pretty legs.

She let out a squeak and pulled the trigger on her colt python, pointing it vaguely in the direction of the group, the report echoing around the cliffs.
[+] Surprise
Thanks to Claire for sig image!

Return to “Northern Cliffs (A8/9)”