Inexplicable

The Ranch is a large fenced in area, of rich land used for farming and animal grazing. A large two story farm house is located inside of the property. Formerly the home of the ranch's owners, the home is in very good condition, but lacks the supplies it once had or any electricity. Other buildings in the area include, a barn, several chicken coops, corn silo and a stable. Also on the outside are: a large vegetable garden, now only containing withered corn plants, an empty horse corral and a large cow pen or pasture surrounded by barbed wire.
CondorTalon

Inexplicable

Post by CondorTalon »

((Vivian Cathwell continued from Horror Business.))

Vivian had been wandering around looking for any trail Rebecca hed left. She couldn't keep up with her though. The dense foliage had quickly separated the two, and Vivian wound up walking off in a different direction. She was usually a good tracker, and so she was wondering, as they walked towards the ranch in the distance, why she had lost Rebecca so easily.

No, wait. She knew.

It was because of the sight that was still in her head, of the blood leaking out of the boy's body. It was because of the tears in her eyes, blurring her vision.

Brian had followed her, it seemed. She had glanced back at him when she heard his footsteps, travelling a bit behind her. That one quick glance was all she gave him, and she hadn't talked to him since then. A while passed until they reached the house at the ranch. Vivian stepped inside, looking around. This would be a good place to rest, she thought.

She turned around to look at Brian. She still need an answer.

"Why..."

She swallowed.

"Why did you... do that?"

She was struggling to keep her voice calm, to stop herself from yelling at him. She swallowed again.

"Why did you shoot him?" she repeated, her voice shaking, as she looked him straight in the eye.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

(Brian Larke continued from Horror Business)

Brian Larke hated to see girls cry. In his time on this earth, he had seen it enough times and it had grown tiresome. Hell, he had probably seen Vivian do it before. He had probably made her cry with far worse things than what he had done now.

Rebecca wasn't with them, and neither was the inexplicable person that had appeared out of the bushes. How strange, Brian thought, where had all the girls come from? He felt kind of relieved though. He had always liked being alone with people, instead of attempting to be the center of attention all the time.

Though that was fun too.

Though here she was, standing before him, tears in her eyes, asking her why he had shot at that Frodo kid. It was tiresome.

"Because this is a game," he said sternly. "And I'm pretty sure that if we don't play, we die."

This was harsh, even for Brian, and he frowned in an attempt to make this sound better. He reached out and brushed a strand of hair out of her face, hoping she wouldn't jerk away but not particularly hurt or surprised if she did.

"We were given weapons, put in this place, we're wearing collars so they can keep track of us. He was gathering allies in front of us and I didn't want the risk that you or I or anyone else I know was going to get hurt. We don't know who's going to kill, you don't. I'm not afraid to mount an offense as a defense, honey."

He stared back into her eyes, unflinching. Of course, he was lying by omission, that he had no idea if that Faramir guy had really intended to hurt any of them, that he was really just planning on killing before people had an inkling to kill him. Vivian didn't need to know that.

If there was one thing Brian Larke was great at, it was lies of omission.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Brian told her that he was just trying to protect her. He seemed to think she was blind, that she had seen none of the events that had unfolded.

"That's... that's bullshit." she said simply.

She sniffed. Her anger was rising, and she was trying her hardest not to show the amount of shaking her body was currently undergoing. She had a feeling that it wasn't working. No... she couldn't hold it in any longer.

"He wasn't doing anything!" she yelled. "He just... he was just... *sniff* standing there... and... you... then shot him! Just like that! How could you do... that..."

Oh, she couldn't take this anymore. She slumped to the ground, sobbing.

"I don't want this... I don't want this..."

She looked up at Brian, her eyes clouded with her tears.

"I... won't make you leave, Brian... but... please... no more random shooting... I can't... deal with that..."

Maybe... maybe she could still make good on that hug? She sure could use it right now.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

He knew Vivian would see right through her, so why did it frustrate him so hard when she did? She collapsed to the ground in tears, wailing as though this were actually something important. That this were actually something that could be changed.

She screamed at him that there should be no more random shooting, how Frodo or whomever was just standing there, about how he was practically a monster and how she wouldn't make him leave but damn, he couldn't just randomly kill people.

Well, that wouldn't be good. The leaving part, the is. But also the non-killing part. Not killing at this point would just be painting a target on himself, how couldn't she see that?

She collapsed on the ground in tears, and Brian knew what to do. He walked over to her side and knelt down, wrapping his arms around her shoulders.

"I'm sorry, Viv," he said. "I won't shoot without cause again, okay?" He pressed his cheek against her shoulder. "I promise it will only be to protect you."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
K-Robe

Post by K-Robe »

(Renee Murphy arrives from Holding Out For A Hero)

It had been hours since Renee had left Julia alone at the Train Station. She had followed the grey line, which turned out to be a railroad, to the Ranch. She hadn't encountered anyone else while she was following the railroad, which only made her wonder if she would see anyone at all. Renee observed the Ranch. It was a large fenced-in area containing a large two story house. It was in pretty good shape considering that it looked like the entire Zone was empty save her classmates.

She went up to the building and she was slightly surprised to hear voices inside. She pressed herself against the wall near a window and listened.

"...weapons, put in this place, we're wearing collars so they can keep track of us. He was gathering allies in front of us and I didn't want the risk that you or I or anyone else I know was going to get hurt. We don't know who's going to kill, you don't. I'm not afraid to mount an offense as a defense, honey."

The voice sounded extraordinarily fake and sleezy. There was only one person that was extraordinarily fake and sleezy that she knew, and that Brian Larke. Renee had flirted with him a couple of times, but nothing really came to fruition between the two. Well, other than a couple of make-out sessions. But if she knew Brian, and she knew him well enough, the he'd be searching for a way to screw someone in his time here. She wondered who he was talking to.

"That's... that's bullshit."

"Vivian Cathwell?" Renee muttered.

Cathwell had parted with Brian not too long ago, and now it seemed like he was taking advantage of her again. She knew Vivian could take it, but it was her tone that worried her. Vivian didn't sound like that, not normally. Something had happened to shake her up.

And just like that, Renee listened to Vivian, her sobs and her cries. Brian had shot someone, and now Vivian was here, crying on her knees because Brian and this place had caused her to.

"I'm sorry, Viv. I won't shoot without cause again, okay? I promise it will only be to protect you."

Renee put a hand to her forehead. She decided that she couldn't take this drama anymore. She went up to the door, knocked three times, and kicked open the door as loudly as she could.

That should get his attention.

She looked at Brian. "Hi, Brian," she said sweetly, "remember me?"
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Brian walked towards her, and wrapped her in a hug. That actually felt nice. It was... comforting. Brian promised not to shoot unless it was to protect. Vivian nodded slightly.

"O-Okay," she whispered, wiping the tears from her face. She slowly stood up, regaining her composure.

"Hey..." she started, but she was interrupted by a loud knocking at the door.

Who's there? She looked over at the door, squeezind her hands, and taking a slight step back. The door flew open.

And there stood... Renee Murphy.

Vivian knew Renee as a friendly individual, but more importantly, she knew that Brian and Renee had had a relationship. That she was here was either an amazing coincidence, or... or had she followed them here?

"Hi... Renee," Vivian said to the girl. "When did... when did you get here?"
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Oh shit.

Where were they all coming from!?

Brian loosened his hold on Vivian ever so slightly as Renee came out of the blue. He searched his memory for how far he had gotten with her, just a couple of make outs, nothing serious, but still...nice. He quickly glanced between the two of them and wondered whether he could parlay some sort of threeway before-death action so long as he told them it was his birthday. Nah, Viv would never go for that.

"Renee," he said. "Fancy meeting you here!"

It was like some unholy Oscar Wildeian farce, how all of these girls were coming out of the woodwork. "And of course, I could never forget you."
K-Robe

Post by K-Robe »

Renee smiled as she always did while listening to Brian. But this smile wasn't like all the others, like the one in school when he kissed her the first time, when it was a genuine expression of amusement. No, this smile was manufactured. Brian Larke had shot somebody. That meant he was dangerous and possibly a threat. She had half the mind to pull out her pistol and shoot him right then. But, Renee planned to get out of this place alive, and God help her but Brian Larke was going to be useful in this plan.

"Of course you wouldn't forget me, Brian."

She went up to him, took hold of his arm, and said to Vivian in the sincerest possible way, "Hello, Viv. I know my entrance was probably a bit abrupt, but I'll need to borrow Brian for a minute or two, okay?"

Dragging him away from Vivian for a moment, she said, "Look, Brian. I know that we've had our differences and maybe our relationship really didn't go anywhere, but neither of us really expected it to go anywhere in the first place, right?" Renee needed allies, even if it was Brian, especially if it was Brian. He was a playboy; he'd screw her on the floor right then if she let him. But Brian always liked his girls. He'd think it'd be a shame if something happened to them.

Renee kept her eyes trained on Brian, but spared a look at Vivian before returning her gaze to Brian. He was a wild card and Renee couldn't possibly expect him to trust her, but Renee knew she was no fighter. She needed a bodyguard, someone to protect her when her gun couldn't. After all, he did have the guts to shoot a kid, probably for his own protection. Even though she disagreed with his method, she had to admit that it did have the practical purpose of whittling down the list of students trying to kill him. But he didn't shoot Vivian, which was a good sign that he probably wasn't going to turn murderer and shoot her in the back, too.

"I'll be honest, Brian," Renee said, "I need help. I need more help than I've ever needed in my life. Specifically, I need your help. Everyone in this Wild West knows that I'm no good in any kind of fight. So, I need to tag along with you. And..." she traced her finger across Brian's cheek, "... there might be something you'd like to do with me if this deal pulls through, Brian."

Seduction, Renee? Really? Since when have I stooped so low as to this? Renee sighed mentally, calculating the likelihood of Brian accepting her offer of companionship. Well, at least it'll keep me alive. Renee liked to think that Brian's presence would at the very least eliminate people for her, so that she wouldn't have to do it herself. She'd hate to have to see the blood.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

As Renee pulled Brian away into a corner, it suddenly occurred to Vivian that her tomahawk was still in her bag after the meeting in the forest. Quietly, she unzipped her bag, taking it out and gripping it, blade facing down and away from the others.

For protection, she reassured herself.

She stood awkwardly, waiting while Renee was talking with Brian. She saw the finger go against Brian's cheek. Really? she thought, you're taking advantage of him like that? She was just like Rebecca. They were all using him. And to be fair, she'd thought about it, back in the forest... before that happened. But no, she wasn't that kind of person. And she still had her dignity, unlike... her. It sickened her slightly...

Do people really act like this?
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Brian was only half listening as she told him things that he really already knew. Of course the relationship wasn't going to go anywhere, did they honestly expect that it would? Sometimes he wondered how many girls actually misunderstood his intentions, and whether that was a failing on his part or theirs. She was talking about something, probably about how she wasn't a fighter or something and Brian could have told her that. Most girls weren't which wasn't a failing, it's just that when the blood started flowing it's hard to not scream about it. Brian just knew he could trust himself not to scream.

Then things got interesting. She touched him face, drawing a line across his cheekbone.

".. there might be something you'd like to do with me if this deal pulls through, Brian."

His other brain took over for a while, and any sort of rational thought he was beginning to start forming died when she did that. A slow smile came to his lips, his best one.

"Of course, sugar. I would never leave you out in the cold."

It was like he had them all wrapped around his finger.

But he turned to look at Vivian, who was watching them with a curious expression he didn't quite understand.

"But Vivian is coming too," he insisted in downright uncharacteristic seriousness. "I'm not going to leave her behind in all of this."

It was fine, because she probably couldn't hear him, and therefore couldn't note the concern in his voice. That would be the greatest weakness of all.
K-Robe

Post by K-Robe »

"But Vivian is coming too. I'm not going to leave her behind in all this."

Renee expected Brian to say something about Vivian the moment that she lifted her finger to his face. But what surprised Renee was Brian's seriousness about the subject. Brian cared more than Renee realized. Here she thought that he only cared about the physical. He was deeper than she thought.

That reminded Renee too, that Vivian was still there watching them. She glanced at her briefly, sizing her up. She looked worn, but strangely alert. She held a tomahawk in her hand as if any second Renee might suddenly try to attack Brian. Which, to be fair, might not be too inconceivable considering their current situation.

But now Renee found herself in an awkward position. She was trying to seduce Brian Larke, yes, but she didn't count on Vivian possibly disagreeing with Renee accompanying them. This might prove a little more difficult than she previously thought.

Renee coughed. "Well, of course we're not going let Vivan stay alone. That would be too cruel in this, er, odd situation that we've found ourselves in." Renee looked at Brian, feeling a little worn, but smiled and continued. "And I'm sure you can convince her that I'll be a valuable enough asset to bring along, right?"

Renee placed hands on both of Brian's arms, saying, "And she doesn't need to know about our deal. That would just raise some unnecessary complications."

Unncessary complications, indeed, Renee. Do you realize what you're doing? You're offering to have sex with the guy if he keeps you safe! What the hell is wrong with you? And Vivian Cathwell's getting dragged into it too. Oh hell...

But Renee kept the smile on, that same fake smile she'd been using her whole time here. Because she was afaid that if she were left alone, she'd always be alone in this soon-to-be-hell hole. If there was one thing she hated, it was to be left alone. She vaguely mused that she might die soon, but at least she'd have Brian and Vivian with her. She'd do what she had to do and hopefully she'd make it through this okay.

Hopefully.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Vivian needed to break away. Not for good, she needed the companionship, but away from... this... happening right now. She didn't understand why they were like this. Did they not have their priorities straight? Didn't they realize, in this game of life or death, some things just don't fly? She slowly made her way to the front door, tomahawk in hand, only turning at the entrance to turn around and tell them.

"I'm going. To look around. The ranch, you know, it might have things we can use."

She left, then, back out into the blistering sun. Who knows? Maybe she actually would find something they could use.

She headed to the barn first.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Brian watched Vivian go and didn't understand the expressions on her face. He thought she would be pleased that for once he wasn't ditching her to go have sex with someone else, even though Renee was practically gagging for it, which was so strange since she seemed like such a prude before all of this. Maybe life or death situations were a turn on for some chicks. Action movies were right.

But still, it sort of bothered him that she was bothered.

He gave Renee a light squeeze on the shoulder, letting her know that she wasn't forgotten and stepped away.

"Let me talk to her, okay?" He said. "I just want to make sure she's okay. Viv won't leave you behind, she's too..."

Good?

Nice?

Vivian?

Brian wasn't really good at making words about girls that weren't about particular assets they possessed.

He took his fedora off of his head and placed it on Renee's.

"Keep that safe for me, okay? I'll be right back. Yell if something happens and I'll be right back."

He ran his free hand through his dark hair as he took off after Vivian.

"Viv!"

She was heading towards the barn so he followed, keeping a respectful distance so she didn't try to slap him or anything just in case, but still...following her anyway.

What was he going to ask her really?

Was he going to ask if she was okay?

He really hoped she wouldn't take that the wrong way. It wasn't as though he had romantic feelings for her or anything.
K-Robe

Post by K-Robe »

"Keep that safe for me, okay? I'll be right back. Yell if something happens and I'll be right back. Viv!"

Renee blinked as Brian placed his fedora on her head, momentarily covering her eyes. She adjusted the fedora quickly enough to see Brian rushing outside to catch up with Vivian.

For a very, very brief moment, she wondered why he particularly cared about Vivian acting a little grumpy about Renee joining. Renee realized that she'd probably made it obvious with the finger-on-the-face thing that she'd offered herself to Brian if she could join. Then a certain realization hit her regarding Brian and Vivian.

"Brian Larke, you son of a bitch," she muttered to no one in particular. "You're in love aren't you? With Vivian Cathwell!" Renee could hardly stop from laughing. Renee tipped the fedora up in admiration. Maybe Larke didn't realize it but he cared about Vivian.

It finally happened. All those nights spent with girls had been meaningless; Brian Larke finally found someone to care about. Oh, it made Renee feel guilty about offering sex to Brian. Business was business, gright? But it seemed that business made things a little complicated. Vivian was obviously upset at Renee for offerin to screw Brian, and whether it was because of some moral invalidation or if it was because she was in love with Brian, it didn't matter.

Renee found a way to make the situation worse, didn't she? Maybe I shouldn't have offered it to Brian after all. Damn, I hate it when this happens.

She slinked outside and saw Brian approaching the barn. She decided that it'd be best to let the two sort it out between themselves. Of course that didn't mean that Renee couldn't sneak a peek at what they were doing.

Silently, she approached the barn and, careful to be avoided, pressed herself against the side of the barn. She was close to a window and peeked in at Vivian, waiting for events to unfold.

She hoped those events would be for the better.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

"Viv!"

She heard Brian approach behind her, so she turned, stopping to see Brian coming up to her.

"What is it?" she said, vitriol dripping in her voice, "Why aren't you with Renee? I gave you time alone together. Isn't that what you wanted?"

Vivian was surprising herself without how bitter she was being, but seeing what Renee was doing put her on edge. She turned around again, walking back towards the barn. Soon she was able to see the interior through the large doors. On initial inspection, there seemed to be nothing but hay, the old building clearly having been stripped of anything they could use. She had to check further, though.

She turned to Brian, saying, "If you're going to stay, then make yourself useful and help me look for things."

Then, she went inside.

Return to “The Ranch”