Calm Like a Bomb

A squat, windowless structure with a single floor, the jailhouse is intended to serve as more of a temporary prison than a place for long term internment. There are several cells, as well as an area for the past prison wardens.

Moderator: Sh4dE

Macha*

Calm Like a Bomb

Post by Macha* »

((F21, Corrina Landrey, Debut.))

Awoken from a dreamless sleep, the girl began to stir.

Always the light-sleeper, she forwent the groggy stages of drowsiness, opting to just sit up, push her glasses back up her nose and pull her cardigan over her shoulders.

She slowly got to her feet, slowly trying to regain the balance the gas- was it gas?- had stripped her of. When she could stand straight again, she knelt down and picked up her bag. Fairly light, probably didn't contain much. She draped it over her shoulders.

Really, she got the feeling she was missing something. Her eyes wandered around the floor. Had she dropped something? Off a couple of metres away, she saw it. She would've cussed. Couldn't, though. Her parents were watching. America was watching. The entire country had just watched her sleep.

What an unsettling thought.

Stumbling a few steps, still trying to get the hang of that whole "balance" thing. God, it was like she was a toddler again. She looked down at the heavy hunk of metal and plastic. She struggled to lift it with one hand. Gave up.

She paced around. What was she supposed to do? Where was she supposed to go? There was a purpose to this, right? Well, where was it? She screamed and she cursed and she kicked the riot shield, sending it a grand total of about a foot and knocking her off balance. She fell flat on her ass. No point in doing anything else, she just sat up and crossed her legs.

Reality quickly set in.

Don't cry. Don't cry, Corrina. Please don't cry.

She didn't, but she damn near came close.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Macha.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

(M03: JOHNSON, LOUIS, START)

Louis Johnson started to wake. His eyes opened. He was laying on a hard floor and he could see bars to his right in what looked like a jail cell. He was still too groggy to move.

Jail cell? Did they chuck me in prison instead?

His eyes glanced over at the green duffel bag to his left. He let out a groan as he realized that the cell must be part of the location in "The Program."

Well I guess you're not the only one in a war zone, huh Dad?

Louis sat up slowly and picked up his bag, opened it and started rummaging through the contents. He knew that whatever he found could make or break him in this. Flashlight, loaf of bread, one of his water bottles, then he found it, a wireless XBox controller. "Seriously?," he said to the air. He tossed it at the barred door of the cell knocking it open slightly while the controller hit the ground with a loud crash. Louis looked down at it and said, "well you're useless, aren't you?"
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

(F:16 Kendra Jones START)

"I love you.”

The older girl leaned over from the driver’s seat of the SUV to give her little sister a kiss. She kissed her on the forehead, on the cheek, on the nose, until the younger girl swatted at her.

“Stop it TA-RY-NUH!” she shouted and squirmed away. “Gawd, you are such a dork wad. You are embarrassing, you know?”

Taryn just smiled at her and tucked a bit of her hair behind one of her ears.

“I just wanted you to know. Have a good day a school, gorgeous. Fingers crossed.”

Kendra returned a brief hug and hopped out of the car with her backpack slung over one shoulder.

She heard her name. She was one of the unlucky ones. Others were crying, screaming, sweating and shaking. She wouldn’t do that. Silently she went where they took her. All through the bus ride she had time to think. Kendra didn’t look nervous, she just looked blank. She was thinking, always thinking. And even after all of that thinking she still didn’t know what she would do when the rules were explained and the gas was brought down. Kendra was still unsure of what sort of person she was when the darkness came down on her like a warm blanket.

And then she woke up. It was some dark place. The outlined shadows of bars fell over her. Kendra took a deep breath and sat up. She put her legs out in front of her and stretched until her cheek was flat against her legs. From elsewhere she heard a voice. Kendra scrambled to her bag and ripped it open. She dug around, looking past the food and the first aid kit. Finally, she yielded a single grenade.

“Looks like it’s you and me, Ambassador Pineapple.”

Slowly she got up and moved the unlocked bars to open the cell she had woken up in. She put a hand to her head, a small rush resulting from standing up. Carefully she walked to the next cell, looking to see if someone was inside.
[+] May you find that which shines and learn the power of miracles.

The only thing I've ever been proud of was describing the setting sun as "daylight's falling star" in a recent Supers post.

Supers
Ximena Rodriguez: "Everything is just a matter of time."
International
Soraya Martinez: "Need a translator? I'm pretty good."
Macha*

Post by Macha* »

A loud crash came from inside the building, grabbing Corrina's attention.

"Hello?" She raised an eyebrow, looked into the entrance of the building. "Anyone there?"

She wasn't sure if there was a response, but she decided to check it out anyway. Didn't want any psycho jumping her out of nowhere, right? Corrina grabbed the shield with both hands, barely managing to lift it high enough, before stepping forwards, ready to take a look.

Her hands shook as she pushed forwards, the shield scraping along the floor. Did she want to see what was inside? Who was inside? Her arms suddenly felt like jelly. She nearly dropped the shield then and there.

Come on, Corrina. You can do this. You're brave, Corrina. Y'know that, Right? You can take on anything. Anybody, Corrina.

She took off, running into the dark building. Was that a good idea? Decidedly not, as her shield connected with the inside wall with a loud Thud and for the second time today Corrina was flat on her ass.

Blurred vision. Had she hurt herself? She went to adjust her glasses-

Glasses. Where were her glasses?

Corrina blindly pawed around on the floor for her spectacles, eventually making contact with them, dragging them towards her across the floor and putting the smudged and scratched lenses back on over her eyes. She could deal with the smudging later. Right now she was just glad she could see again.

She got to her feet, leaving the riot shield on the floor. She'd come back for it later. Get it on the way out. It'd still be there. She was sure of it.

For now, she just made her way into the cellblock.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Macha.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

“Looks like it’s you and me, Ambassador Pineapple.” came a girls voice from what sounded like the next cell over.

Ambassador Pineapple?

Then sounds of her movement, and the next moment she was right outside his cell. The girl was pale with light brown hair. And to Louis's annoyance she was taller than him, but only by a little. His eyes went down to the grenade in her hand. "You and Ambassador Pineapple can come right in, I just finished tidying up the room," he said, his voice having a slight hint of sarcasm, while he picked up the duffel bag by it's strap and swung it over his shoulder.

Then he heard a thud from down the hall of the cell block, but he couldn't see whatever made the sound.
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

Kendra shoved her grenade into the pocket of her gray dress. She raised an eyebrow at the boy she had found in the adjacent cell. On the floor near her feet was a video game controller.

“Yeah hu. You’re a regular Martha fuckin’ Stewart. The broken shit on the floor really adds to the whole feng shui thing you’ve got goin’ on in here,” she said, moving her hands in large circles.

She tilted her head, looking at the boy. He looked familiar but she couldn’t recall ever talking to him.

“I don’t think I know you. You're a quiet kid, hu? Well consider yourself a cool kid now, cause I only talk to cool kids,” she said with a bit of a smile.

From somewhere a girl’s voice rang out in the building. Kendra ran up to the boy and clapped her hand over his mouth.

“Don’t. Say. A word,” she whispered.

The only thing I've ever been proud of was describing the setting sun as "daylight's falling star" in a recent Supers post.

Supers
International
Macha*

Post by Macha* »

Corrina pressed forwards. Slow, calculated steps. Keeping to walking where she wouldn't make much noise. Avoiding kicking the rocks and grit on the floor, treading softly to make sure her footsteps wouldn't echo as much. Pointless really, she'd probably made enough noise to wake up the whole compound when she'd hit the wall.

Still, that didn't mean they needed to know where she was now.

Her ears shot up. Talking, close by. Cursing. Martha Stewart. Something about cool kids. Corrina opened her mouth, about to say something. Introduce herself, maybe. Tell them that she wasn't a threat, wasn't going to hurt them.

The words just wouldn't come out.

Her throat knotted. If she'd have spoken, all that would've come out was a whisper, a quiet murmur. Second thoughts. This wasn't a good idea at all.

Corrina, don't be an idiot. Be brave. Go in there. They're not that bad, really. Honest.

No. Corrina wasn't brave. She wasn't cut out for this. She span on her heels, walking back to the entrance of the building. Picked up her riot shield which had thankfully not been stolen. Dragged it along behind her, scraping a trail in the grass as she tried to run.

Right now, anywhere was better.

((Corrina Landrey, continued in Crayola Kids.))
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Thankfully the girl decided it was not time to blow him to pieces with Ambassador Pineapple and put the grenade away.

Yeah like she'd get any benefit from it, unless she can find an XBox.

“Yeah hu. You’re a regular Martha fuckin’ Stewart. The broken shit on the floor really adds to the whole feng shui thing you’ve got goin’ on in here,” she replied with large hand motions.

Well yeah it's shit, what would I do with the controller, throw it at someone?

The girl seemed relatively pleased though as a smile had crept onto her face, “I don’t think I know you. You're a quiet kid, hu? Well consider yourself a cool kid now, cause I only talk to cool kids.” Suddenly her hand was over his mouth, “Don’t. Say. A word,” she whispered.

Louis's eyes widened, then the sound of someone running away. So that's why she silenced him. Once he was sure whoever the hell was out there was gone he moved his mouth away from her hand. "Suppose I should introduce myself, I'm Louis." He put out his hand anticipating a handshake.
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

She let out a sigh of relief once the footsteps faded off. They were alone now. She took her hand away from his mouth and moved back. Better off just dealing with this one new element rather than introduce a third risk at the moment. One thing at a time.

The boy introduced himself and held out his hand to her. Her smile got wider until it broke up into laughter.

“What are you, 40?” she laughed.

Despite this, she went ahead and took his hand and gave it one vigorous shake before letting go again. Kendra mashed her hands against each other. His hand had been a bit rough

“Right, well, nice to meet you Louis. I’m Kendra. Or, it would be nice to meet you if maybe we weren’t about to bite it.”

She walked around the outside of the bars to her bag and leaned against them, talking to him through the bars.

“So, you have any plans or are we gonna be adventure buddies?”

Kendra reached up and gripped two of the vertical bars, letting the rest of her frame hang. “I really haven’t thought about what I’m going to do. Spend your whole life knowing you’ve got that one in a million unlucky shot and I just assumed the math was on my side. I just figured ‘What are the odds?’ Now I fucking know better.”

Supers
International
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

At his introduction the girl smiled, then laughed. "What are you, forty?" He realized how much of a schmuck he must have seemed with that kind of introduction, "Yeah, give or take twenty-five years." She shook his hand anyway, it wasn't his worst social screw up ever.

“Right, well, nice to meet you Louis. I’m Kendra. Or, it would be nice to meet you if maybe we weren’t about to bite it.” Kendra, at least he knew what to call her besides grenade girl or some other nonsense like that.

He hadn't really thought about his possible death yet, he knew where he was and that his odds of survival were slim, but he hadn't really come face to face with that realization yet. And he didn't like realizing it, he had been given an XBox controller for heaven's sake.

Kendra left the cell and leaned against the outside. “So, you have any plans or are we gonna be adventure buddies?” she asked. And continued with, “I really haven’t thought about what I’m going to do. Spend your whole life knowing you’ve got that one in a million unlucky shot and I just assumed the math was on my side. I just figured ‘What are the odds?’ Now I fucking know better.” He hadn't had time to think about a plan yet, although now that he thought about it, quite a few swim team members and some of the art people he knew had been picked too, then again there was no guarantee he would find them even if he did go looking for them, especially when he was unarmed like he was now. He smiled, "Sounds good, I was thinking I would just stay here until I needed to move. Ya know relax." It was true he had never thought it would be him either. "I think everyones taken a little of that bit of medicine now."
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

Kendra let go of the bars and bent down, letting her arms hang. She leaned over until her hands were flat on the floor next to her feet with her legs still stick straight. She picked up her head and a bit of her hair fell to the side just enough for her to be able to see him.

“You’re not forty? And here I was hoping for a sugar daddy. Figures.”

She stood back up and walked back to him, now with her bag on her shoulder. He seemed at least somewhat calm and rational, not a bad draw if you had to wake up to next to someone, given the situation. She sat down on the concrete floor.

“Sure. I’m up for relaxing. We probably shouldn’t hang out too long inside a jail cell though. It’s not like there’s a lot of escape route if some lucky duck with a machine gun waltzes in.”

She opened the bag and started looking around inside, not that she didn’t already know what was in there, but it was less awkward than just sitting and doing nothing.

“I dunno why I’m worried about what I should do. Clearly the only thing I’m supposed to do is die. Or kill, but even then, there’s only enough room for one on the winner’s platform.”

Kendra gave up her search through the provided items and threw her hand in her lap.

“I don’t watch this shit. I don’t really know how stuff normally goes down. Do you?”

Supers
International
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

“You’re not forty? And here I was hoping for a sugar daddy. Figures,” she replied. She had an interesting sense of humor, not that a sugar daddy would have helped her much in her current situation anyway.

She sat down on the concrete floor. He figured it was at least a little awkward for him to be standing and her sitting, so he decided to sit across from her in the hallway. “Sure. I’m up for relaxing. We probably shouldn’t hang out too long inside a jail cell though. It’s not like there’s a lot of escape route if some lucky duck with a machine gun waltzes in.” He hadn't thought about that. "Maybe we should be just outside the building, so if someone comes we can get away, or come and hide in here. Just a thought." Kendra had been searching through her bag, but Louis thought she had been listening.

“I dunno why I’m worried about what I should do. Clearly the only thing I’m supposed to do is die. Or kill, but even then, there’s only enough room for one on the winner’s platform," she said. Another grim thought, understandable given the situation. He stayed silent, he couldn't think of anything that would make her feel better about that, and he wasn't stupid enough to think they could break out or anything like that.

“I don’t watch this shit. I don’t really know how stuff normally goes down. Do you?" Her question brought back Louis's one unpleasant memory of watching the program.

He had been seven, and his parents were a little late coming home from work, so he flipped on the television. It was just in time to see some chick stab a guy many many times. The girl even stabbed him after he was dead. Louis had turned it off, but it had scared him. He had nightmares for weeks about it.

"All I know is people have to kill each other, and of course that we're the unlucky bunch to get thrown in."
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

“Really unlucky,” she echoed after him. The space felt empty and cold. He had suggested moving outside, which was a pretty good plan. Well, a pretty good plan if you wanted to live.

“I don’t think there’s any way out of this. Like you said, we’ve got to kill each other, I got that part. If you asked, I’d tell you that I’m a bad bitch who can make it out of this, but that would only be if you asked. In reality, I don’t know. I’ve always had to put on a front that I was okay because I didn’t want people to treat me like a kid. I didn’t want them to worry about me, but really, as much as I hate to say it, I am just a kid. And I don’t know if I can do this. I don’t know if I can do this on my own.”

She pulled the grenade out of her dress pocket and looked at it. Her fingers fell and climbed the groves along the surface.

“You’ve got a game controller and I’ve got this. It’s only got one shot, and that shot’s gotta count.”

She swallowed and brought her other hand up to cradle the grenade. It lay in the palms of both of her hands as she looked down at it. Her brown hair fell forward slightly.

“Maybe that shot’s meant for me.”

Supers
International
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

"Really unlucky," she replied.

“I don’t think there’s any way out of this. Like you said, we’ve got to kill each other, I got that part. If you asked, I’d tell you that I’m a bad bitch who can make it out of this, but that would only be if you asked. In reality, I don’t know. I’ve always had to put on a front that I was okay because I didn’t want people to treat me like a kid. I didn’t want them to worry about me, but really, as much as I hate to say it, I am just a kid. And I don’t know if I can do this. I don’t know if I can do this on my own.”

He didn't know how to respond to that, she was being really open about herself, even if she was apparently closed off normally. Maybe that was what being in this situation did to you, made you willing to admit things about yourself you hadn't shared before. Of course for some people that was very bad, the people who would be willing to kill as many people as possible. He was lucky he hadn't woken up next to someone like that, who would've used that grenade and blown him apart and walked away whistling Yankee Doodle.

“You’ve got a game controller and I’ve got this. It’s only got one shot, and that shot’s gotta count," she continued as she examined the grenade. That was true, they weren't well armed at all. Still there had to be some way to improve their situation, get weapons somehow. Still Kendra seemed upset, "Well when that 'lucky duck' with a machine gun shows up, you could toss the grenade, and then we'll be okay." He hoped that idea would make her feel a little better.

“Maybe that shot’s meant for me," she elaborated. Meant for her? Did she mean suicide, she had seemed down on herself. Or, Louis wondered, did she mean her chance to get ahead and take people down. He hadn't known her for long, but Louis really didn't want her to kill herself if that was what she was thinking. "Like I said you can use it to get a more permanent weapon and then we'll be set."
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

“We’ll be set?” she asked incredulously. She stared at him and she wasn’t sure if she should scream at him or laugh.

“You…you don’t get how this works. There is no “we” at the end. Best case scenario we live and then one of use shoots the other in the face. That’s best case scenario. That’s one fucked up best case.”

She looked up at him. He was so….strangely hopeful. Was he deluding himself? In any case he seemed friendly, calm too. Well, what else was there for her to do?

“Okay,” she said taking a deep breath. She put the grenade back. “My life was kind of low on traumatizing horror so let’s see if we can’t stuff an entire lifetime’s worth into the next few days so I’ve had my requisite amount. I’ll stay with you.”

Supers
International

Return to “Jailhouse”