A Cereal Cliffhanger

Open

Winding back and forth along the western side of the valley, the track has fallen into crumbling disrepair, resulting in sections of it having dissolved into little more than treacherous scree. It's quite the hike, but probably the easiest way of making it up out of the central valley, since once upon a time, it was an actual path.
Laurels

A Cereal Cliffhanger

Post by Laurels »

Girl #01 Brigid Paxton: Start

Having watched a lot of television growing up, Brigid Paxton knew that if one was high above the ground, they should not look down, or else they would panic, lose focus, and likely plummet to their death. She had seen many variations of it, ranging from serious interpretation to satire. Presently, she was having trouble resisting the urge to look down. She was on some mountain path high above the rest of the valley, and she wasn't feeling comfortable in her surroundings.

Brigid couldn't believe she was chosen for The Program. It was something she never thought could happen to her. It was the one television program she never made an effort to watch. Her mom especially hated the idea of the game and hated seeing clips of it anywhere. Brigid didn't want to worry her mom, so she tried to avoid bringing it up whenever possible.

Oh god, what if Mom is watching me right now? She's going to watch her daughter die. I hope she isn't watching.

Brigid continued to move along the path, trying to keep her back to the wall of the mountain and away from the edge of the path. It was difficult to walk with all the rocks in the way, but Brigid felt she could handle it. She first woke up farther down the path and took the time to check her belongings. She already put the extra coat on under her wool jacket and felt slightly warmer already. The box of Wheaties didn't make her feel any better though. Not even Shawn Johnson's smiling face on the box could alleviate the situation. Still, it was food, so Brigid packed it away. She'd just have to be clever once she was on stable ground.

Brigid continued to move along the path, keeping her breathing steady. She was sure she was getting close to getting off the path, but she wasn't certain.

Slow and steady. You can do this. You are going to be okay. Mom won't be left alone. You will see Mom after all of this.

Brigid took another step and felt the ground move. She quickly moved back and hugged the wall of the mountain. A small bit of the path broke and fell to the earth below. The gap was small enough for Brigid to still walk over, but she wasn't able to move. She was holding the mountain tight.

That's when she felt herself beginning to cry. She pressed her face against the mountain and sobbed into the rocks.

"I don't want to die! I don't want to die! Mom! Mom! Please don't let them kill me!"

Brigid continued to cry.

Please don't see this. Mom, please don't watch this. Don't watch your little girl die.
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Man, you're pretty pathetic, huh?"

((Enter Alexander Bonham))

While Brigid had been making her way up the path, Alexander had started further up and had quickly decided that the best way to go was down. He'd taken a few moments to survey his resources, paying special attention to the map in his pack and to the cool metal collar that was strapped around his neck. He'd also searched out his provided implement of destruction. It turned out his assigned weapon was a folding chair. It was pretty well constructed, sturdy and hefty but not too heavy to make carrying it that much of a hassle. He'd slung the duffel bag over one shoulder and the chair over the other and had gotten moving, hoping to make it somewhere with a bit more cover.

It was a little bit hard to come to terms with having been chosen for The Program. Alexander had figured it extremely unlikely that their school would be selected. His attempt at denial had grown more and more desperate as Patriot High was chosen, then the junior class, then, finally him. He'd considered making a break for it, but that would have been a fairly immediate and pointless form of suicide, so instead he'd just shrugged and walked along where the soldiers told him to go.

He'd sat quietly through the briefing, paying most attention to the information about the collars. It was a new innovation, and he knew exactly who to thank for it. A couple girls last season had decided it would be a great idea to turn a watchtower into their stronghold, and had actually managed to hold out for nearly the entire duration of the season there. One had eventually perished due to an accident, and the other had finally left the tower, only to be promptly gunned down. Still, they'd been quite close to messing up the entire season just by sitting still until everyone else died.

If there was an afterlife, Alexander had decided he'd track them down and give them a piece of his mind about how much of a mess they'd made of things for him and his classmates. Maybe he'd congratulate them too. They had, after all, made a real change in the world.

The path was treacherous, especially when travelling downwards, but it was nowhere near insurmountable. The ground was loose, eroded, but that just meant it was necessary to walk a little bit more slowly. Alexander kept his right arm out, adjusting its position to help with his balance in a way similar to how tightrope walkers used poles. His left hand held the chair, which he gripped by the backrest. He moved steadily, keeping his senses peeled for any trouble. His classmates would all be out and about too, and Alexander was ready to bet that some of them were packing firepower a bit more substantive than cheap furniture.

He heard Brigid before he saw her. Alexander knew Brigid was on the track team too, and he knew she was a pretty studious sort. He'd had a fairly good impression of her, all things considered, which was quite a rarity among the entitled masses of his class. Of course, her blubbering had wiped that away in the time it'd have taken to snap his fingers, and now Alexander could see that when the chips came down she was yet another irksome, spoiled crybaby.

This revelation was the impetus for his editorializing on her situation, as he stood a dozen feet away. Since she was in the path, he figured he'd wait until she pulled herself together to move on past her. It wouldn't do if she freaked out and flailed around while he was trying to pass behind her. He didn't fancy a tumble down to the bottom of the valley, even if it'd be quicker than the cautious approach he was taking at present.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Brigid continued to sob against the rock face. Her heart beat felt out of rhythm, and she had trouble calming down.

I almost died there. I almost died. I could be splattered against the ground. Oh my god, what am I going to do?

Brigid let out another anguished cry. Just what was she going to do?

Man, you're pretty pathetic, huh?

Brigid quickly pulled her face away from the mountain and looked around. She then saw Alexander Bonham standing on the mountain path. He must have started farther back on the path. Part of her was amazed that he must have been behind her the whole time.

She tried to quickly analyze Alexander. He was on track team, he was never really a problem with her, and he was heavily opinionated. If he didn't like something, he made it clear. He was from a much different social class than Brigid, but he never acted too spoiled. He was holding a folding chair, something that really puzzled Brigid. Why did he get that, out of any kind of weapon he could have received?

That's when she realized something about his comment. It was an insult. This wasn't high school where he could make a crack like that for a joke. He was criticizing her behavior. A direct method for hurting her feelings. She almost fell to her death, and he was calling her pathetic. Brigid began to wipe her eyes.

"Alex....."

She could hardly finish. She was still trying to get her breathing down to normal. She quickly sniffled and looked at the boy on the path. He must have thought she was such a crybaby.

I know. Who'd have thought Frigid Brigid had some feelings?

Brigid took in a deep breath before exhaling.

"S-sorry. The path broke, and I almost fell."

Brigid turned around and looked at the hole in the ground. She couldn't believe that she could have tumbled to her death if she didn't move back. She turned back to Alexander.

".......hi."

She didn't know what else to say.
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Hi," Alexander said. He left his voice neutral and calm, just like usual, but he gave her a little smirk.

She'd nearly fallen off the path. There was a gap, a place where it looked like the packed dirt had crumbled entirely to scree, but it wasn't very big. He could easily step over it, without even taking too big a stride. The thing that stood out to him was that it seemed to be down-slope of Brigid, which meant that his initial assessment of her direction of travel could have been wrong. If she'd been heading down as well, then he'd probably started a good deal further up than her and must have simply caught up due to actually being able to navigate a slightly treacherous slope without completely going to pieces. He'd been staying aware, watching for others, but the path was twisting so visibility wasn't very good, and he'd had to keep his gaze on the ground most of the time to make sure he didn't fall.

Really, it was immaterial, except insofar as he didn't want to walk the rest of the way down the path with Brigid near him. If this was her reaction to getting into danger, she was an unpredictable liability. That hazard was amplified by the bad terrain. Alexander knew that it didn't take too much to tip someone over, especially if they weren't expecting it. Like swimming, he viewed his current situation as one where helping someone out too directly would provide just as much of a hazard to the rescuer as being in trouble would to the person in need of help.

"Hey," he said, "I've got a little friendly advice for you. I get that you're panicking or whatever, but I'd save the breakdown until you're somewhere where you can't fall to your death quite so easily. If you're worried about the path, keep most of your weight on your back foot and test each step, so you can pull back if the ground's loose. Stay close to the wall, because everything will be more solid there."

This was some pretty basic stuff, and not even really necessary if one had a good sense of balance, but Alexander knew that the best way to deal with some people was with baby steps. This was particularly the case with people who broke down easily. Privately, he wondered how Brigid had ever managed to find success in school if this was her reaction the first time things got tough.

It wasn't the being scared that bothered him so much. It wasn't that she'd been put off by nearly tumbling to her presumed death. Both of these things were not perfect, but were understandable. He could even see himself being somewhat shaken by them, maybe, if they came as enough of a surprise.

No, the inexcusable bit was that she'd screamed for her mom. She'd done her best to throw away any scraps of personal responsibility, instead crying out to be saved by someone who couldn't possibly reach her. Bad enough that her solution to trouble was, first and foremost, to turn to others. The fact that those she instinctively relied upon weren't around, yet she still couldn't break out of her old patterns, just made it worse. Alexander could just imagine the arc she'd trace in this place. Most likely, she'd clump up with the first group who'd take her, then tag along contributing absolutely nothing and dragging them into one risky situation after another until either she got taken out or they all died around her. If the latter proved true, Alexander was pretty sure she wouldn't make it twelve hours on her own. That was what happened to people who couldn't handle themselves.

"Oh, and just for the record, you don't need to worry about me," Alexander said. "This is my weapon."

As he spoke, he hefted the chair a little bit. He was sure she'd already noticed. He was more hoping that she'd reciprocate by revealing what she'd pulled. He was guessing it wasn't too useful, because Brigid seemed like the sort to cling to any symbol of power she could find when put off her game, but he wanted to be sure, jut in case. He didn't really feel like getting shot in the back as he went past her.

No, this whole situation was dangerous for all the wrong reasons. Alexander felt sure that the sooner he was done with it, the better he'd feel overall.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Alexander gave her a small smirk when he responded. That made Brigid feel slightly better about the whole thing. Perhaps he was just being sarcastic and she heard it wrong, like he was saying "Man, you are preeeetty pathetic." That made her feel a little better. He also seemed willing to give her advice on how to walk along the path. Brigid felt a small smile creep across her face. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

"Thank you," she quietly said in response to his advice about walking along the path.

Brigid turned and looked at the path. She felt that she could get off the path soon if she carefully continued to walk. If it got really bad, she could just try running down it.

Man, that would be pretty insane.

Alexander also explained the folding chair as his weapon. Brigid didn't really have much to say in response to that. He probably couldn't kill anyone with it, but perhaps he could use it to knock someone off the mountain.

Oh God, did I just imagine Alexander killing someone? He can't be a killer, can he? Wait, what if he uses that chair against me? Oh man, I better not give him the chance.

"Lucky," Brigid replied. "Just cereal for me."

Brigid looked over Alexander once more. It didn't look like he was going to attack, so Brigid decided to not worry about him too much.

"Um, I'm going to keep going now," she said.

Brigid hopped over the hole in the path and clung close to the wall. If Alexander was going to follow her down the path, that's fine. But then again, some distance between the two would be nice.

Okay, weight on the back of the foot. Stay near the rock face for sturdier ground. Breathe in, breathe out. You can do this.

Brigid continued to move along the path. She was going to be more careful now. America just saw her break down in tears, and she didn't want that to become her trademark.
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Brigid had cereal as her weapon. That meant Alexander now had absolutely no reason to worry that she might shoot him in the back, unless she was lying. Judging based on everything else she'd done and said during their brief acquaintance in the current circumstances, he doubted she was crafty enough to lie, and more than that he doubted she was in any way malicious. She didn't seem the sort to raise a fuss right away. She didn't even seem the sort to fully grasp that killing would be required. After all, she'd been begging her mother to save her. That said her mind was still back in Milwaukee. He figured if she ever killed anyone, it'd be due to a truly remarkable string of luck, and probably in something approaching self defense. More likely, she'd fall victim to someone else in the early stages of the game. He didn't much relish the thought of that happening, but that was how it went for the kids who couldn't adapt.

As Brigid kept moving down the slope, Alexander realized that there was one little problem he was suddenly facing. Brigid was between him and the bottom of the path. She was moving nice and slowly, taking his advice and staying safe. As much as he appreciated that she was at least intelligent enough to catch the bone he'd tossed her, it was going to be very slow going following her down. Alexander was more than a little worried about being stuck on the path for longer than absolutely necessary. It wouldn't be hard for someone below, someone lucky enough to pull a gun, to start taking potshots at him and Brigid. Then, even though getting hit from such a distance would be unlikely, they'd have to continue while under fire. That would mean they'd have to really hurry, which would in turn make it a whole lot more difficult to keep his descent safe and controlled.

More than that, if he stuck behind Brigid, he'd get to the bottom at about the same time as her. At that point, she'd probably want to discuss where they were going. If he didn't take some precautions, he might find himself accidentally slipping into a group with this girl. Given that all he knew of her was that she was unreliable, prone to panic, unarmed, and bad at taking responsibility for her own situation, he wasn't looking forward to that. No, Alexander was not a babysitter. He'd done her a favor by helping her out, but he wasn't about to hold her hand until one of them died. That was what whatever friends she had were for.

So he waited a few moments, then started on after her, stepping easily over the little gap that had caused her so much consternation. He was more confident in his balance, so his progress was markedly quicker. When he'd just about caught up to Brigid, Alexander called out.

"You mind if I slip by?" he said. "I'll feel better as soon as I'm on more solid ground."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Brigid continued to move along the track. She felt like she was making actual progress on the path. She had taken Alexander's advice and was able to move without disturbing the land. She started to feel a lot calmer about the situation she was in. She knew she'd get off the mountain and onto stable ground, then see if she could find somewhere safe to hide and wait the game out.

Brigid soon heard Alexander come up behind her, asking if he could pass her by.

"Oh, uh, sure," she responded, putting her back to the wall of the mountain.

Part of her didn't know why Alexander was so desperate to get around her. Was she moving too slow?

Wait, maybe he's just better at hiding his feelings. Maybe he's got an issue with heights and wants to get off. Well, better let him go then.

Brigid waited for Alexander to pass her. She still had a ways to go and wanted to get off before it got dark.
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Brigid said it was fine for Alexander to slip by. He gave her another little smirk, as well as a nod of appreciation. She put her back to the wall, and he passed her as quickly as he could. He wasn't entirely certain that she wan't going to freak out again until he was past, but when he'd gotten by, he was able to relax a bit more.

"Thanks," he said. It wasn't really a situation that called for thanking her, but it wouldn't hurt. Alexander didn't really expect to ever see Brigid again. He hoped she'd have the sense to find somewhere out of the way to stay, so that she wouldn't be quite as big a target as she might otherwise be, but he doubted even that would keep her safe for long. It was too bad. She seemed weak, a bit dependent, but not unpleasant, or at least not enough to warrant the awful things that seemed nearly certain to happen to her.

"You should make sure not to be loud like earlier," Alexander said, as he began to move away from her. "I bet some of our classmates will get things started real soon, and you don't want their attention."

That was another piece of advice. Alexander hoped that Brigid might be as receptive to it as she had to the other he'd offered. He didn't really like the idea of her being the first person in the class to get murdered, not when he was about to leave her behind. All the same, she'd definitely slow him down, and she'd probably become a liability whatever path he decided to take. Alexander didn't exactly plan to die here, and having someone noisy and irresponsible along, especially this early, would make it a lot more likely he'd end up over his head in trouble.

So he picked up his pace, moving perhaps a little bit faster than was strictly safe, even with his good balance, to get ahead of Brigid and off the path. He really did feel better once he was on flatter terrain. The valley spread out before him, and he looked around, trying to pick a direction, before heading vaguely to the south.

((Alexander Bonham continued in A Moment of Reprise))
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Brigid watched as Alexander passed in front of her. He thanked her and also advised that she try to be quiet if she ever ran into similar issues in the game. Brigid nodded. She knew her earlier outburst was just the result of nerves, but she understood that she wouldn't be as fortunate next time. Alexander chose to not attack her and throw her off the cliff. Would anyone else do the same?

No, they probably won't. I need to find safety somewhere. Maybe something better to use.

Brigid continued to walk along the path. Alexander had apparently picked up the pace and got farther along the path. Brigid sighed. She had hoped to maybe have a friend to walk down the path with. Looks like that wouldn't be the case.

Remember, he chose not to kill you. Be grateful for that. Repay the favor, somehow.

Brigid soon arrived at the end of the path. She got on her knees and kissed the ground. She really hated being that high above the earth, and being on solid ground made her feel better. She got back up and looked around.

Wonder where he went?

Brigid sighed. Alexander was gone. Odds are she was never going to see him again.

Okay, shelter. Let's go

Brigid put her bag over her shoulder and ran off into the woods. There had to be somewhere were she could be relatively safe.

((Brigid Paxton continued in Wash Away))
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3