Twisted Steel in a Twisted World

Phase 1 (0-12 Hours)

The salvage yard is located in the industrial park next to the boat shed and is filled with the detritus of maritime life. While a handful of small ruined rowboats are kept here, it is also home to partially-submerged shipping containers, old refrigerators and bed frames, and even a number of totaled cars and trucks, forming a treacherous mountain of junk. Kept around partially for lack of a better place to dispose of such objects and partially as an opportunity to scavenge materials for slapdash repairs, the salvage yard is more accessible than its phenomenally dangerous architecture might lead one to expect. Thanks in part to its varied topography and in part its distance from the rest of town, the salvage yard was a popular spot for children and teens alike. The children using it to play games such as hide and seek while the teens used it as a party spot. This has led to some accidents over the years and at least one death when a drunk teen fell into the ocean, but the only result of this incident was the addition of a chain link fence; the gate to this was quickly sabotaged and has remained unlocked since.
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

"... D-do you know a p-place we c-can hide?"

Maybe that was asking too much, especially after he just pointed a gun at her, but at the same time he really needed a place to hide out. To clear his head, and figure out just where he'll go from here. He still needed to find Rodney, assuming he was still alive, and maybe help Kass out too? Surely she had her own issues to deal with too, the bruises she wore all over told Bishop that much.

But even then, he still threatened her. All she did was call out to him, and he shoved a gun right in her face. Would she really trust him at this point? Yeah they were friends before, but here? He'd already seen how easily friendships can die in a place like this, and after what he just did to her... Would she really trust him enough to take him anywhere? Let alone a possible hiding space.

God, why did he have to keep screwing up here? He'd already gotten somebody killed, may have left an ally for dead, and now this? He'd say he was lucky he wasn't dead yet, but fuck maybe dying is a better alternative than remaining in this hell hole. If nothing else he wouldn't get anybody else hurt due to his sheer stupidity.

He wanted to say something. Tell her 'never mind, I'll go' or something so he wouldn't get her hurt either. But a part of him still hoped she'd say yes. That she'd let him at least tag along. That maybe, just maybe, he didn't screw this up. Or screw this up in the future.

But lets be real, he was likely going to.
Aura

Post by Aura »

"Hey, hey.  Calm down, okay?"

Moment of truth time.  Was she really going to bring Bishop over to her hideout?  Depends on how she weighed things.  On the one hand, if he snapped, then she and Marion would both be in very close proximity, and she already knew that he had a powerful weapon at his disposal.  That was a pretty big risk.  But at the same time, could she really justify leaving a friend behind, especially after she already went through the trouble of reaching out to him in the first place?

In the end, compassion won out.

"I set up camp in a minivan with Marion Williams.  Do you want to join us?"
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

Calm down? Yeah, Bishop guessed he was a bit obviously freaked out-

"I set up camp in a minivan with Marion Williams. Do you want to join us?"

Bishop's eyes lit up, a little shocked by her answer. He'd honestly expected her to turn him down, send him away, all that jazz. But... She's letting him tag along. Join up and maybe get somewhere! Maybe they'd actually have a chance after all!

She also had an ally too. Marion Williams. Bishop had never met her in person, really, but he knew about her. Kind of. Not really. Just a few murmers here or there about how much she sucked for being some anti-american trouble maker or something. Normally the type of person he'd avoid, not because he disagreed with her oh no. But anyone with a rep like that tends to have trouble follow them around like a pack of starved wolves. But here? Anti America was good. It was safe. People who were weren't the type of people to just go around shooting others.

So, in short, exactly who Bishop would like on his side.

"Y-Yeah" He said, giving Kass a quick nod. "I-I would l-like too j-join."
Aura

Post by Aura »

Satisfied, Kassandra stood back up and beckoned for Bishop to do the same.

"Cool.  Follow me, it's not too far."

Actually, "not too far" may have been an understatement, considering that the path back to the van consisted of turning all of one corner around a pile of what looked to be old plumbing parts piled next to a sedan, then making her way back around to the door that they had been using as an entrance and exit.  In all it might have taken a minute tops for them to make it there.  And to be honest, that was making her rethink just how off the beaten path their hiding place actually was.  Maybe Bishop showing up so close was just a fluke.  Yeah, she was going to hope for that.

She hoped that Bishop and Marion would get along.  She knew that Bishop was a pretty shy, quiet guy, and even though she hadn't known Marion longer than a day, she seemed pretty mellow in her own way.  A personality crash was one of the last things that she needed right now, so she was going to pray that things didn't get too weird.  She slid the door open and climbed back into the seat, sliding over far enough to make room for Bishop behind her.

"Hey Marion, we got a third."
Katie

Post by Katie »

Marion was intrigued by this news. "Really now? Who is it?"
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

Bishop hadn't exactly expected "it's not too far" to equal a literal 5 second walk. He was a little shocked to find out just how close he was to the hideout, wondering if he could have just stumbled upon it had he not seen his bloodied reflection in the mirror prior. Oh, yeah, crap. He was still covered in blood. As Kass called out to Marion, Bishop quickly took off his jacket and used a clean spot to wipe away whatever blood and water remained on his face.

A girl, Marion he presumed, asked who exactly was with her ally.

"H-hi" Bishop muttered out as he entered the minivan. Keeping his gun pointed towards the ground as he did so, in an attempt to not freak Marion out. "I-I'm B-Bishop. I'm a f-friend of Kassandra's. Y-you're Marion, r-right?"
Aura

Post by Aura »

When Bishop pulled himself into the minivan, Kassandra received a reminder of how far outside the norm her situation was. About a quarter of her face had either turned purple or was in the process of doing so, to her right was a guy with bloody clothes and a shotgun, and to her left was a girl in handcuffs. Damn, if that didn't sound like the set-up for a really stupid joke with a punchline that didn't make sense, then she didn't know what to think.

She rolled her head against the back cushion to look at Marion, hoping that the recent entry of Bishop wouldn't upset the peaceful order they had going.
Katie

Post by Katie »

Marion was surprised he hadn't noticed the handcuffs. Or maybe he had and had neglected to comment on them. "Yeah, that's me. Nice to meet you." She noticed the gun in his hands. "Looks like someone was lucky enough to get a good weapon."
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

"I-I uh... Yeah..." Bishop muttered under his breath. Marion wasn't exactly wrong. He did get a decent weapon draw in his knife. However, it was obvious that wasn't what she was referring too. No, she was talking about the gun he was carrying openly. James's gun.

He figured it would be best to explain to her now. Tell her that the gun wasn't what he had rolled, and just how he got it. They were likely to find out about the knife anyway, she was going to notice the bloody jacket at some point, and Kass already knew about what happened anyway, so really there was no reason to hide it from her. Really it was better to just tell her outright.

"I-it actually wasn't m-mine. I-I stole it from B-Bridie after she k-killed James..."

He should have been a bit softer on her, blurting it out like that was stupid. Sure, the shape Kass was in likely meant they knew people were already playing. But still, hearing news like that was never good, was it? Either way, it was too late to-

And that's when Bishop noticed that Marion was wearing handcuffs. His eyes widened as they focused in on the things, awkwardly just looking at them for a second before his mind could begin to actually question why they were there.

He doubted that Kass had any part of it. At least, he didn't think she would. Marion didn't appear to be a hostage, the cuffs weren't attached to anything and Kass seemed to treat her more like an ally than anything. So, despite his initial shock, he doubted there was an issue between the two girls. As for why it happened though... Well, Bishop had no idea. So it was better just to ask what happened, really.

"S-so, what's the s-story with t-the handcuffs?"
Aura

Post by Aura »

Well, shit.  Kassandra figured that Bishop would end up asking about the handcuffs at some point because, well... they're right there, and it's not like they're easy to ignore.  So now she had to take on the heroic task of describing how the cuffs got there while conveniently skipping over all of the awkward parts.

"Okay, so I woke up in the graveyard."  She started telling her story,moving her hand over to the side as if it was supposed to show the start of the timeline or something along those lines.  "And I headed over to the gazebo, and I found Marion like this, cuffed and gagged.  So I tried to help her out and..."  Wait, shit.  Better skip over that part.  She mentally skipped over to the next major event.  "So fuckin' Brittany shows up and starts giving us shit, and..."  Wait, she didn't want to talk about that either, but for slightly different reasons.

Damn, she didn't think trying to explain things would be like this.  She moved on and listed the concrete facts that were probably obvious already.  "Anyway, I busted Marion loose, and we've been sticking together ever since.
We don't have her keys though, which is why she's still like this."

She hoped that she didn't make a complete travesty of her explanation, but it was kind of hard to gauge when she was basically cut-and-pasting bits of hat happened to avoid talking about uncomfortable or painful topics.  She turned to look at Marion, hoping for some form of validation.  "Right?"
Katie

Post by Katie »

"I mean, you skipped over the sex parts, but yeah, that's a pretty good like, summary or whatever. Long story short: I'm a horny idiot," Marion bluntly explained. She then addressed Bishop. "So you say you stole that gun, huh? Pretty impressive managing to steal a gun from someone who had one while you did not. Did you see James get killed? That'd explain the stutter, I'd imagine seeing something like that'd leave you pretty shook up."
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

Wait. What? Sex parts? What? Why was Marion handcuffed to a gazebo and gagged? What even happened?

"Y-yeah, James died r-right in front of m-me." Bishop said, very confused at the given moment. "N-now go back, w-w-what about s-sex now?"
Aura

Post by Aura »

Kassandra felt her spine stiffen when Marion brought up the sex.  She thought that she was dropping hints that she was trying to avoid dropping such an awkward topic on Bishop right out of the gate, but Marion's bluntness sent that idea to an early grave, so now there was no way around talking about it.

Fucking hell...

She closed her eyes and took a short breath to compose herself, then began to explain the parts that she had previously avoided.  "Okay, so I guess there's no way around pointing this out, but I'm a lesbian.  And when I found Marion, we were just about to get down to some "We're both gonna die, so we might as well do it" sex.  And yeah, we tried, but then fucking Brittany showed up and ran me off."

She still didn't feel at liberty to discuss what went down between Brittany and Marion in great detail, partially because she wasn't there, and partially because she still felt an unpleasant twinge when she thought about it.  "Brittany stole Marion's handcuff key and ran off.  Now we're trying to find her to get it back.  Does that clear things up?"
Katie

Post by Katie »

"Hey, I hadn't resigned myself to death yet then. I just wanted sex at that point," Marion pointed out. "There was also the hate sex with Brittany but I'd rather not talk about that..."
Bowser

Post by Bowser »

Bishop just awkwardly looked at the two girls, eyes widened in mild shock. Did they seriously have sex in the middle of a death game? Did Marion also have sex with Brittany after she chased Kass off? Why the hell was Marion even in cuffs in the first place? What even caused any of this?

Ironically enough the fact that Kass was actually a lesbian was the least shocking part. In any other situation this would be a huge shock for the boy, not because he had anything against her being gay but because he had no freaking clue! In a normal situation it would have been a bit of a momentary shock. However, when following that up with what is basically saying 'everyone is having sex but you' kind of makes her sexuality irrelevant.

"O-o-o-o-okay..." was all Bishop could say. He'd always been super awkward around sex anyway so naturally just having this thrown at him made him a bit uncomfortable. So, desperate to change the topic, Bishop jumped away from it the second he could.

"S-so, w-what happened after t-that? H-how have t-things been on your e-end?"

Return to “Salvage Yard (Prologue)”