Drowning in a Glass Half Empty

[PRIVATE]

Holding hundreds of people at its maximum capacity, this hotel features a beach front pool, and nearly every room has a view. However the most common complaint that the management used to get was the paper thin walls, and how easily the building carried noise.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"Huh, well, I was really excited for Brink 2 before I was "Chosen for this season"."

Sean smiles a bit at Zach's comment.

"Man, we're such shills."

"And your point? At least we're choosing who we shill for now. I didn't pick the soda in my pack, but we can plug for whomever we want to while we're here. We didn't choose to be here, but...it's our show for now."

There's also the fact that Sean's hands are bound up behind his back. Truth be told, with a decent camera angle you could disguise what Zach was doing with the rope and it might just look normal. Sean was fine with that.

"Same with DUST and EvE, I was looking forward to their updates. But hey, hopefully I will get to see them."

The reality in that sentence hit Sean in the gut. "Yeah." Closing his eyes, Sean mused for a moment.

Yeah, I know that feeling.

"I just wish I was number ten for you so I'd know you were going home. I really wish I could be."
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

"And your point? At least we're choosing who we shill for now. I didn't pick the soda in my pack, but we can plug for whomever we want to while we're here. We didn't choose to be here, but...it's our show for now."

"So... We're fighting the game by depriving it of advertisement money?" he postulated, trying to keep his mind of the situation, or, more accurately, the symbol of his impending death that was being constructed in his lap. He had figured it out. He wasn't just being plain crazy, he was trying to distract himself. That sat with him just fine. The less he thought about it, the less likely he was to back out.

And after all this set up, he really didn't want to just stab him with a sword, that'd be kind of lame.

There was a pause. He should say something. He took a hand away from his lap and held it in the classic rockers pointer and pinky out fist thing, before speaking in his cheesiest hippy impression voice.

"Fight against the system, maaaan!"

"I just wish I was number ten for you so I'd know you were going home. I really wish I could be."

Woah, for a guy who was about to be hung, that was really freaking heartwarming.

"I... I'll win for you, man, don't worry."
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"So... We're fighting the game by depriving it of advertisement money?"

"Something like that, I guess."

"Fight against the system, maaaan!"

Sean just laughed at the patent silliness, smiling. He knew this was helping him, just knew it, as he leaned over and managed another gulp of his soda.

"Yeah, maaaan!" Sean's imitation was possibly cheesier than Zach's...or maybe just plain lousier. He didn't know; all he knew is that it was making him laugh.

"So...let's see...I guess Verizon sucks. I mean, I can't even get a call out here. What's with that?" He just had to take a shot at the show's biggest sponsor, just had to. It...well, if nothing else, it fit.

"I... I'll win for you, man, don't worry."

The conversation became a bit more solemn, then...and Sean sat there silently, contemplating that. "Thanks, Zach. I mean it. Get back home alive."

At least then, this won't wind up being a waste. I'll have really managed something meaningful. Too bad I won't be...well...

"I'll be watching from somewhere. Hopefully with better sitcoms than Hollywood can seem to manage these days." Though the tremor in his hand returned with this line of discussion, it wasn't nearly as noticable as before. Sean drew a blank on what else to talk about, so he contented himself with sitting quietly for a moment before one hit him.

"So...how do betting odds work? Tim could never seem to get his odds right, remember?"
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

"Yeah, maaaan!" A little smile fluttered to life on his lips. An actual, genuine smile. That was so cheesy, so bad, but still, incredibly fucking funny. God, what was wrong with them? They were preparing to either die or be killed and they were making bad hippy impressions.

Probably didn't bode well for his.. Anything.

"So...let's see...I guess Verizon sucks. I mean, I can't even get a call out here. What's with that?"

Yup, nothing like a cheap shot.

He debated taking a swipe, but he couldn't remember who even sponsored this anymore. You kind of learned to blank out the adverts after a while.

"Thanks, Zach. I mean it. Get back home alive."

"No matter what it takes" He mumbled into his collar quietly

Then, there was a little silence, as the gravity of the situation bind over his head like a guillotine blade.

Thankfully, Sean interrupted once more with his apparently newly discovered superpower to make pleasant conversation in any situation.

"I'll be watching from somewhere. Hopefully with better sitcoms than Hollywood can seem to manage these days."

Some more biting and insightful social commentary there from Sean.

"So...how do betting odds work? Tim could never seem to get his odds right, remember?"

"Well, uh, it's supposed to be based around probability, but it is actually based more on public perception that anything else. The short story is, it's a ratio. So, for the amount you put in of the first number, usually 1, you get that amount times the second number if you are right. Ergo, the bigger the last number, the higher the prizes"

He turned to the camera.

"And now you know. And knowing is half the battle"
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"Well, uh, it's supposed to be based around probability, but it is actually based more on public perception that anything else. The short story is, it's a ratio. So, for the amount you put in of the first number, usually 1, you get that amount times the second number if you are right. Ergo, the bigger the last number, the higher the prizes."

Sean nodded; it made sense, especially the latter bit: A good horse that nobody thought would win would have better betting odds than one of the same ability that everyone thought would win.  Well, at least better odds for whomever was doing the betting.  And a lousy horse everyone thought might win could end up with worse odds to bet on than a better horse everyone was overlooking.  Go figure.

"And now you know. And knowing is half the battle."

Where do I...oh, right!

"GI JOE!"

And Sean burst into riotous laughter.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

"GI JOE!" He said, at the same time as Sean, before laughing with him. This was so surreal, yet legitimately funny. Was he going crazy to? No. He was just playing along with the crazy, not being crazy himself.

He stood up and walked to the scenic tree that ovelooked the pool. He stood for a moment, his back to Sean, looking around with his almost trademark uncaring hundred yard stare, before looking back to the smooth, silvery bark of the tree and patting it. He turned back to Sean.

"Man, I remember watching that as a kid, along with Adventure Time" He said, smiling. Then he remembered another show that he'd "seen" on the internet. Ah, why the hell not. "Oh, and some pirate show, from the local station. You know... Urm... I can't remember the name" He looked directly into the camera for a second after that, before resettling his attention on Sean.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"Man, I remember watching that as a kid, along with Adventure Time...oh, and some pirate show, from the local station. You know... Urm... I can't remember the name."

Sean laughs at that reference. Let's see, what else had he seen? "Remember Captain Planet? And He-Man?" Wow, old shows he was dredging up...somewhat wistfully. Some he hadn't seen in years, even online; others, he'd seen more recently in online videos somewhere or another...

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Zach pat the tree. Though he knew what it meant, he set that thought aside...it was one last time he was just laughing and talking, and he was not going to let his death muck it up.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

"Remember Captain Planet? And He-Man?" Asked Sean, dredging up more nostalgia.

"By the powwweerrr of Greyskulllll!" He said mockingly as he leant against the tree. Damn. He barely even remembered these old shows' plots, just their taglines. He would have to watch them again if, no, when he got back.

"Yeah, those shows were so cheesy they were hillarious!" Beat. "Hey, what about Tom & Jerry? I used to love the Gene Deitch sketches... Man, I'm probably the only person who even knows who writes Tom and Jerry!"
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

Sean laughs out loud again at Zach's imitation of the He-Man tagline. Man, this was a lot of fun, just sitting around and reminiscing about old (and sometimes bad) TV.

"Yeah, those shows were so cheesy they were hillarious!" Beat. "Hey, what about Tom & Jerry? I used to love the Gene Deitch sketches... Man, I'm probably the only person who even knows who writes Tom and Jerry!"

"And Roadrunner and Coyote! Beep Beep!" Yeah, it was Sean's turn to imitate one of the old shows' "taglines" (if you could call it that).
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

"And Roadrunner and Coyote! Beep Beep!"

"Aaaaaaaah, what's up doc?" he responded "Godamn, how did we forget Looney Tunes? That show is just golden!"

He smiled, before looking down and tying a little more of the noose.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"Aaaaaaaah, what's up doc? Godamn, how did we forget Looney Tunes? That show is just golden!"

How did they forget that? Sean has no idea right now...only that they're actually managing to remember it. Yet amid all that's going on, he's thankful for the chance to reminisce about something; more than that, it's something he can really smile about and think well of.

"I hate rabbits..." Sean throws on an overdone drawl, imitating Yosemite Sam for a moment. "Then again, it is rabbit season, ain't it?" That this is a mangled reference to Daffy Duck only hits Sean a moment later...

Then again, weren't Sam and Daffy both out to get Bugs? And Elmer Fudd, too? They could all get into this argument somehow...

Somehow, Sean manages yet another gulp of soda while he's waiting for Zach to respond.

Oh, what else is there out there to talk about? That isn't related to this show, at least?
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

He smirked as Sean did a surprisingly good impression of Yosemite Sam.

His smile dropped for a moment as he realised how little he knew about Sean. He'd never taken the time to learn things like this, yet he was entrusting his last moments to him. He must be off his head.

"Hey, speaking of rabbits, do you have any pets?" he asked, trying to keep the conversation alive for a few more moments. He had nearly finished the noose.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"Hey, speaking of rabbits, do you have any pets?"

Sean shook his head. "I had a couple of hermit crabs once. I've never been good around dogs, never been a cat person..."

He shrugs his shoulders. "It never really fit in the picture. Dad sorta wanted a dog once, but there were enough times I'd have been stuck walking it that it just wouldn't have worked. I mean, when he was in the Army his unit had one as a mascot after it barked at one of the men and kept him from tripping over a wire. Do you have one? A pet, I mean?"
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

Well, that was great. He had succeeded in reviving the conversation there.

"Nah, I don't have any pets. I always wanted a snake, but my mum is freaking terrified of them."

He sighed and looked up at the tree. Another awkward silence loomed.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"Nah, I don't have any pets. I always wanted a snake, but my mum is freaking terrified of them."

Sean chuckled, both at the pet choice and the (obnoxious) dilemma.

A snake...never really thought of one of those as a pet, you know?

"So, uh, what do you want to do after you graduate?"

Yet another mundane, everyday question...and though it one that was decidedly moot for Sean (a fact that he conveniently didn't think about), he even had an answer ready if Zach returned the question. But it was one of those things that you talked about in passing when you got the chance, and he did wonder what Zach wanted to do.

Return to “The Resort Hotel”