Kids

OPEN: Day 1.

Similar in feel to the Inland lake, this lake also features the smell of the salt air, and the sound of waves lapping against the cliffs and beaches can be heard if you just take the time to listen. The most obvious feature of this lake is the small sailboat that apparently has sunk in the center, a lone mast breaking the water line.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

He smiled, remembering all those times he'd imagined himself as the victor of SOTF. Getting the girls, killing all the people who'd wronged him. It had seemed so simple, so easy. It had been pure escapism, of course. Though, he had, after a hard day, wished for it. It seemed so silly now, so... Insensitve. He, his friends, his love, could die at any moment.

It sucked.

"Yeah... I guess it seemed better somehow. Like I'd be free, or something." He answered, unable to express his thoughts. "I suppose its wish fufillment, a chance to get back at the people who bullied me"

He decided to try and change the conversation somewhat, realising that dwelling on their situation was pretty depressing.

"So... What now?" He asked, unable to think of anything insightful to say.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Zach wanted to get back at all the people who wronged him.

What did that mean for her?

Her small smile slipped at the edges, only coming back when he asked "what now?" She looked down at the mushy call of bread in her heads and sighed, dropping it on the table.

"Let's see," she said as she spread the map out once more. "We've been through the rainforest and the hot spots and the plains... we've taken a rather nice tour of the Island. We could keep going down to the resort beach like we planned or else we could try something else..."

Frowned a little in concentration as she stood and bent over the map. She traced her finger lightly over their route.

"I think we should avoid the more dangerous places? Like the tar pits. We really shouldn't go there. I also think that the hotel and the cruise ship will be really occupied."

She looked up at Zach. "So I guess we should keep roughing it for now."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

He watched as her smile faltered, and he wondered what was bothering her. Something was always bothering Mae, it was weird. Maybe he could help her? He was sure he could, if she'd let him. But, that wasnt going to happen. No sense thinking about what cant happen.

"Let's see, We've been through the rainforest and the hot spots and the plains... we've taken a rather nice tour of the Island. We could keep going down to the resort beach like we planned or else we could try something else..."

"The Resort Beach sounds good, most people wont head there. The people desperate for luxury will head to the Ship, or the hotel" He said, thinking out loud.

She echoed his thoughts and traced her finger along the map. He smiled and took out his compass, lining it up. He ha some expirience in navigation. He'd gotten lost alot when he was young, having wandered off into the surroundings just to see what was there. As such, his mum had taught him how to navigate using a map and compass. He was by no means very good at it, but he knew the basics, atleast.

"So I guess we should keep roughing it for now."

He looked up, a soft, sympathetic smile on his face. He felt like a bastard, making her sleep rough, instead of sleeping in a palace or something, like she deserved, but it had to be done. It was for her own good.

He reached out and squeezed her hand comfortingly. "Don't worry, I'll guard you two whilst you sleep. I promise."
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Something warm blossomed in Mae as he squeezed her hand. Was this appropriate? The entire school and then entire world thought she was dating Shawn. She wasn't. Shawn was cordial and nice and they posed for pictures, but he hadn't kissed her since that night. He hadn't kissed her since he saved her life.

It was nice just to have this brief little touch with Zach. It felt private and warm and comforting.

Was this how it should be? Instead of the terrifying fire she felt around Shawn? This felt natural, with Shawn it felt like her skin was being set on fire.
"Don't worry, I'll guard you two whilst you sleep. I promise."

She looked down at her hand being held by his, and then back up to his face.

"But Zach," she asked. 'Who will guard you?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

She looked down at were his hand touched hers, a strange look in her beautiful brown eyes. Should he let go? He felt so good, so... whole when he was touching her, even lightly, innocently like this. It was nice. He'd let go if she asked him to.

Then, she looked back to him.

"But Zach, Who will guard you?"

His smile grew. She cared about him. That was awesome.

"Who will watch the watchman?" He said, a little light laughter accompanying it. "Don't worry, I'm used to late nights." He tapped the hunk of Victorian era engineering resting against the seat "I'm sure Wrenchy can take care of any problems, so don't worry. You do enough of that already."
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

"How did you know I worry so much?" She added a touch of humor in her voice to keep it lighthearted, but she hated being read so well, especially by a person like...him. Augh that made him sound like he was some sort of invalid or crazy person, when he really just had Aspergers, it was barely noticeable to her! Maybe she was a little autistic. Maybe everyone was a little autistic.

However who could blame her? Death was supposed to be everywhere, they were wearing death around their necks. Her fingers reached up to touch the circle of metal wrapped around her throat.

"I guess there's a lot to worry about...."

She thought of Shawn, that look on his face, his utterly ridiculous outfit. She thought of Zach how she knew he loved her, and she made a decision.

"You'll protect us, right Zach?" She leaned forward a little. "Not just you and me...but Shawn too?"

She touched his shoulder, this was how it was supposed to be done. Maybe she wouldn't have to spill any blood after all.

"Shawn might hurt himself if he's left to his own devices, he's so peaceful and-" She bit her lip. That was sexy, right? "I don't know if I could bring myself to kill anyone."
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

"How did you know I worry so much?" Now, theres a question. How did he know when she was worrying? It was little things, he suppose. Reading people was one of those things he'd never picked up. He just spent so much time with her, that he could tell what she was thinking.

He instinctively flinched as she touched the collar that encircled her throat. He suppresed the urge to remind her not to play with it. She knew that, they all knew that. And he wasnt about to insult her intelligence.

"You'll protect us, right Zach? Not just you and me...but Shawn too?"

She leaned closer to him, and he leaned in to. He could almost feel her breath against his face. Then, she placed her hand on his shoulder and he gasped quietly.

He knew what the answer to the question was. He knew he loved Mae, and he'd do anything to help her, and stop anyone from hurting her. And Shawn meant so much to her.

"Shawn might hurt himself if he's left to his own devices, he's so peaceful and-"
She bit her lip.

His *ahem* package twitched, and his breath became rapid and shallow. That was so sexy. She looked so innocent, so vulnerable, so beautiful.

"I don't know if I could bring myself to kill anyone."

He didnt mind that. He was going to do any killing that had to be done. He had to. He reached up to her face with his other hand, stroking her cheek with his thumb lovingly, his green eyes sparkling with hope and glazed with lust as he gazed into her honey brown ones.

"I'd do anything for you. I'll keep you and Shawn safe, whatever it takes, whatever the cost" He wanted to add "Because I love you" to that, but... He couldnt brink himself to. Shawn and Mae were happy after all. He brought his face closer, desperately wanting to kiss her plump red lips. His own lips parted slightly.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

A wild thought came to her mind as Zach moved closer to her. Kiss him. Just do it. Be free. free yourself from expectation and damn the consequences. Who cared? They were all going to die and Zach loved her and she felt...

She closed her eyes to lean in for the kiss, only to see Shawn's face looking up at her from the bathroom floor. Only to see Shawn's fingertips brush her cheek. Her eyes opened, she sat back. What was she doing?

"I'm going to go see if the water's warm," she said quickly before fleeing the picnic table. "Maybe we can all go swimming if it is."

That was equally as ludicrous, what was she going to wear to swim? Her bra and panties? They were see-through as it was when they were dry. Did she really want to go jumping into some strange body of water?

Well, Shawn was around, just in case she drowned. A little smile came to her face. She waded into the water up to her ankles, it felt good. Of course it was a little cool but not freezing, and the contrast felt good against the sun. She sighed.

Where had Shawn gotten himself off to?
Cake

Post by Cake »

"FACT: I wanna live in a Castle!"

Shawn had been sitting on the lake's shoreline for a while now. His knees up in front of him, looking up at the sky and the nature around him.

It wasn't until Shawn heard the familiar turn of a camera hidden in the shrubbery around the lake, that he had snapped back into the real world once more. He kinda developed this thing, where he'd talk to the camera, like it was a person or something. He was sharing "Shawn Facts" with the camera for a bit, occasionally being distracted by the wild life.

Like there was a praying mantis on a plant, which was only, like, the coolest member of the insect kingdom. He picked the insect off the plant it was on, and examined it a bit, before putting it down.

He had almost began singing a song, but realized it would sound much better with an instrument to accompany him.

He had finished washing up in the lake, to cool himself off from the mid-day sun, and also wash Brian up a little as well. Now, he'd opted to wander around the lake's coast line for a while; simply taking in the nature around him and doing his darn'dest to keep his mind off of the harsh realities of the game. It seemed to have worked pretty, well, with Shawn getting lost in his thoughts once again, and barely paying attention to what was going on around him.

He found a quiet spot to sit alone, taking in the daylight, to sun dry his body for a while, as he peered out to the sky.

It wasn't the smartest thing to do, with just wandering off, and ignoring his surroundings, in a game like this, with the potential for a crazed shooter to come popping out of nowhere, but it helped clear Shawn's mind of all his troubles. Again, he just wanted to be in peace for as long as he could.

It was a wonder that no one had come by the lake for like the past hour. Just peaceful. Almost too peaceful. Like the calm before a storm. Strangely disturbing...

The rumble in Shawn's stomach, reminded him that he was supposed to be eating lunch with Mae and Zach, so he started wandering back to the picnic tables.

He smiled in awe as he saw a flock of familiar birds, he'd seen at times back home in Texas. A group of Roseate Spoonbills, were settled along the lake shores. They were pretty much his favorite of all birds in the bird kingdom. The pink feathers were pretty groovy.

He watched a few of the pink birds fly off in different areas of the lake as he passed by. A few went on another side of the lake, and one Roseate Spoonbill flew onto the table, where Shawn saw Zach having his lunch alone... Well not anymore, with a pink bird buddy, keeping him company. Huha.

Shawn froze. Dude... I hope he doesn't kill the Roseate Spoonbill, like he did to Brian Eno...!

Right. He was supposed to be eating lunch too. He needed the energy, he had to stop his mind from wandering off again, he had to concentrate, he - Oh rad, the Roseate Spoonbills are singing!

That reminded Shawn. Music was always one of those things that he just couldn't live without. He wanted an instrument in his hands right about now, maybe sing that song he wanted to sing earlier to the cameras. Like with a guitar - there had to be an acoustic guitar somewhere on this Resort Island right? Yeah. He wanted to play guitar, and sing a bit. Keep the mood light and all. Normal, like they weren't gonna be dying and such.

Yeah. New Mission: find a guitar, and make some music... make some money, find some models for wives... Err, wait? Just the first part. The second part was something, Shawn and his pal Jacob Langston, would joke around about, when they became part of a famous band or something.

Jake. His buddy. Was he on this island? Shawn really hoped not. He thought he saw him back in that studio, but he really hoped it wasn't him. Anyway though, like he promised himself earlier; if Jake or any other people he knew, like Holly, or Renée, or hey that guy with the kick-awesome name... BEN-O!, were here too, the least Shawn was gonna do, was find and see them one more time, before the inevitable right?

Wait... it sure feels like someone's missing.

Where was Mae? Did she want to explore the awesomeness that was the lake too?

Yup. Shawn saw her. She was near the shore line, her feet in the shallow water, as she sat near the shore.

Shawn started walking her direction. His neon pink board shorts, glowing in the sunlight, with the gold sleeveless shirt over his bare shoulder, and bag in hand. His feet passing through the shallow water as well.

The water is warm - but it's sending me... shivers.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

His smile wobbled as she moved away. Of course she wouldnt kiss him, what was he thinking? He was just a friend to her and that was it. He thought about grabbing her head and forcing a kiss on her for a second before throwing the thought away in disgust. What sort of friend would do something like that? He let hs hand drop from her cheek, slow and defeated.

"I'm going to go see if the water's warm, Maybe we can all go swimming if it is."

He groaned in embarassment. "I cant. Uh, swim that is... Never learnt" He admitted, appearing to suddenly have found his shoes incredibly interesting. By the time he looked up, she was already ankle deep in the water.

He placed a hand on the wrench as he saw a figure approach them, but let his hand fall away as he saw who was approaching. Not a crazy gunman, but Shawn. Thank god. He brought his hand up to wave at Shawn.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Mae looked up as Shawn came towards her. Those shorts were incredibly ridiculous, why did they even make shorts in that color? It worked for Shawn though and she couldn't say why. Maybe they brought out some sort of highlight in his shaggy brown hair? Maybe it highlighted the blue of his eyes?

Maybe she was just trying to ignore the fact that he was seriously shirtless. Maybe that was it.

He walked towards her, and she brightened at the sight of him. He probably was off exploring, it seemed like a very Shawn thing to do. It was strange how quiet everything was. She had found the two least likely people to kill her on the island, everything else seemed so far away, so unreal. Of course there were cameras around, but really, what made this different than any of the old boring reality shoes from years ago? Drama Island.

"You missed a gourmet lunch of wonderbread and Coke," she told him as he approached her. Part of her felt dirty for coming on to Zach the way she had, the other part....

Well, thinking about it, who cared about what she did now? Her parents were probably definitely watching, but if she did manage to get through all of this, there was absolutely no way they could disapprove of anything she did. She would be a winner. For once. This thought seemed to gladden her. At first this entire thing seemed terrible, being murdered on camera for all to see. Being scrutinized by millions during probably the most personal moments of her life.

Damn was Mae lucky that her period wasn't due any time soon.

This thought, popping into her mind so randomly and suddenly, seemed to hilarious that she burst out laughing. She clapped her hand over her mouth in embarrassment, the giggles escaping through her fingers. Pink flushed to her cheeks, and she didn't know whether that was the shame of her inappropriate response to the circumstances or from the force of her laughter. Tears crept to her eyes and she wasn't sure if it was because of the mirth, or because of her incoming death.

Maybe it was both.
Cake

Post by Cake »

Shawn couldn't help but notice, the roseate spoonbill waddling quietly on the picnic table, past some bread and saltines, before stopping right in back of Zach's head. The boy wasn't aware of it himself, as Zach's back was turned while he gave a wave at Shawn. Shawn returned the wave, as he saw the bird open it's wide bill and...

SQUAWK!!!

Shawn would have continued to watch what was going on with Zach, but Mae, who was closer by than Zach and his pink bird friend, spoke up at the same exact time.

Apparently, Shawn missed out on the gourmet lunch, of wonder bread and coke, during his exploration. Then she started laughing. Then clasping her mouth shut with her hands in embarrassment. Kay, it's cool she laughs at her own jokes, Shawn knew he'd do that sometimes too, whatever made her happy. They could all use some moments of happiness, considering the situation.

He sat down on the shore, next to Mae. He looked into his bag for something to eat. He spotted the energy bars and pulled one out. This was somewhere with in Shawn's ally in terms of diet, so it would do. There was a bag of beef jerky in there too, but no; Shawn couldn't eat that - Vegan Law.

The new age hippie unwrapped it quietly, as he gave Mae a tiny smile. But something was wrong. Mae's eyes seemed teared up. Shawn could understand, as he had his own similar moment not too long ago in the bathrooms. He thought better than to ask 'what's wrong?' It was none of his business, and pretty much it made the person asked even more self conscious.

"Hey." He said quietly, widening his smile for her. Smiles were the addictive sort. A warm face could always cheer someone up.

Shawn felt some long rambling idea forming within his noggin, as he ate.

"So I had this idea." He took a bite of the Clif Bar, before continuing.
"There's this girl I know, she's a friend. I think I saw her in that studio room, where we were sniffing knock out gas. Well, I pretty much didn't know anything about SOTF-TV, until she started telling me stuff that goes on in this show. Like one big thing that got me trippin' out in interest, she said happened successfully, a choke load of times are: the escapes..."

Shawn bit into the Clif Bar some more, finishing it up, as he watched Mae's reaction.

"What I'm getting at, is there is a way to get out of this show alive, without killing, anybody." He splashed some water from the lake onto his hands, to wash the crumbs of the energy bar that stuck to his finger tips.

"If there is anyone on this island who would know what to do about some kind of escape plan, it should be her. We'll need to find her. I know she'll know what to do."

He grinned. The sunlight seemed to light his spirits up. Or maybe he was just getting an upper body tan, with his state of undress and all.

"...and while we're looking for her, we could, like... find other people we know, if they're here right? Like, I dunno if he's here, but someone such as Mr. Jake-y Langston, or anyone else we know from Silver Dragon Academy. I mean, it would kinda be an epic bummer, if we couldn't see our friends again right? Yeah. We'll find them, and if not we could run into our team mates, or find a guitar at least right? I need me, some jammin' time anyway. Huha..."

Shawn was filled to the brim with hope, maybe pointless hope, but it was still: Groovy F'n Hope Man!

He looked at Mae, realizing he didn't give out the girl's name, who he was just talking about. He chuckled out loud at his own mistake.
"Oh, yeah! Sorry Mae. The girl's name is, Renée Carlson. You know her?"

There was some noise going on in the background, behind him, that Shawn wasn't noticing.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

He looked on as Mae laughed to herself, probably sharing a little injoke or something. He reached behind him for his bread, swivelling on the seat. His arm hit someth-

SQUAWK!!!

HOLY SHIT ITS THE SECOND COMING OF BIRD JESUS.

He turned around as quickly as he could, his hand resting on his wrench. He looked at the... thing in front of him. It looked like an unfortunate industrial accident had merged a Swan, a Platypus, and several cans of pink paint.

In its beak thing, the bird held the rest of his bread. It was looking at him with beady intent. He stared back, his eyes narrowing maliciously, as if daring it to give chase. The Flying Platypus stared back, as if daring him to make the first move. He slowly edged his way towards the wrench, millimeteres at a time.

It had worked on a snake, it'd work on a Flying Platypus.

Then, without warning, it waddled off the bench, unfurled its wings, and flew, his bread hanging from its beak.

He grabbed the wrench and sprinted after it. This was revenge wasnt it? For the snake? Karma, fuck you. You bitch.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Mae waded through the water, liking the fact that it felt like it was licking her ankles. Shawn talked to her of escape, or finding people, of some girl named Renee. Something weird fluttered in her heart at his mentioning another girl. Was this the girl he really wanted to be with while they were taking pictures together all over the school? Did she even have a right to feel jealous as he didn't belong to her in the first place? Her mouth twisted, but what could she say?

"I don't really know her know her, but I know of her." It was the most charitable thing she could say. Part of her wanted to ask if they had been lovers, then again she was interested to know people who were lovers. Did it change things? She suspected that Madelyn and Jake had gone there but since he had stopped really talking to her she couldn't be sure. Had she ever seen Shawn with a girl before?

Did he...know things?

She paused for a minute, listening to Zach do god-knows-what behind her. The wind rustled her hair a little bit and it felt good, she sighed slightly.

"Do you really think we could escape this?" She asked him.
Cake

Post by Cake »

"It's worth trying. Better than the alternative, I think." Shawn said as he looked through his pack for his retro-vintage neon blue sunglasses. Neon rocks.

"Other than ourselves, we need to keep hope alive."
Shawn pulled out a water bottle and drank some, to wash down his lunch. It wasn't much of a lunch, but it would do for now.

There was some noise happening in the background with Zach, that Shawn was starting to notice now.

"Huh is that Zach? Haha. I think we're pretty lucky, that everything has been pretty quiet so far, besides that noise. It's like we can almost pretend, this is just an island vacation. No one has stumbled on us yet..."

More noise. Shawn stood up. Time to check on Zach.

Return to “The Coastal Lake”