SOTF: Cyber Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

This subforum exists to allow for discussion and planning related to the SOTF: Cyber AU.

Moderator: SOTF: Cyber Staff

AnimeNerd
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Post by AnimeNerd »

So I realized that there is a cafeteria in the CR school for the students...how does that work? Can people actually gain sustenance by eating something in a Cyber-Reality, or are these basically just for show/out of habit at this point? Or some other third thing?
[+] The Living
Joel Foster is having a reunion while it's time to call the police
Megumi Eto is wishing she could GTFO
[+] The Dead
RJ Blackburn was axed a question in The Jarvis Method
Jasper Suárez-King was silenced in When Betting On High Card Pays Off
Jia Li Qiáo took a tumble off in Rouge Angles of Satin
[+] The Future
Colton "Colt" Smirnov is ready to aim and fire
Roselia Watson is trying to run away from it all
Titania Zabelle is going to show the world her talent
Maud Sparrow Jr. is already painting her own portrait
Aqua Elle is a literal spitfire when you think about it
Carrion Queen

Post by Carrion Queen »

This is a small thing, but is there a reason UCLA is the partner university when it's over 300 miles away?

Stanford University, UC Berkeley, Santa Clara University, and San Jose State University are all local and have preexisting relationships with many of the high schools here (I live in San Jose). Stanford has even had mentorship programs with San Jose's high schools for years. Also Stanford has the world’s largest digital camera for astronomy and astrophysics, LSST.
[+] May you find that which shines and learn the power of miracles.

The only thing I've ever been proud of was describing the setting sun as "daylight's falling star" in a recent Supers post.

Supers
Ximena Rodriguez: "Everything is just a matter of time."
International
Soraya Martinez: "Need a translator? I'm pretty good."
DerArknight
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by DerArknight »

Ahab9 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:33 am Hi again!
I got so many questions 😭
  • How would sensory input work in CR?
  • Would all senses be affected the same way like in real life?
    • Or dampeners exists?
    • If so how would they work?
  • Is gravity altered in CR to avoid injuries?
- Basically the technology of CR if quite similar to how Nerve Gears in SAO work: They are accessed via a helmet-like device and the user falls into a sleep-like state while logged in.

- Yes, all senses are affected. At least if the server is programmed to so. While most CRs aim for realism, it is possible to create a world where everyone has enhanced senses, for example. Other servers allow each user to edit the options of how good their senses work. So basically, dampeners do exist.

- Again, gravity depends on which server you are visiting. In Sycamore High and most CR schools, gravity is identical to reality. This is to avoid the students getting used to being able to jump from the roof without consequences. Also injuries are only possible if the devs programmed the possibility for the avatars to take damage in the first place. In Sycamore High, this is not the case, but the students can feel pain to avoid a scenario like already described.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

AnimeNerd wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:56 am So I realized that there is a cafeteria in the CR school for the students...how does that work? Can people actually gain sustenance by eating something in a Cyber-Reality, or are these basically just for show/out of habit at this point? Or some other third thing?
They are for a psychological effect: They make the school feel more "real", which has been proven to be beneficial for the mental health and performance of the students.
Cyber_HELPline

Post by Cyber_HELPline »

Carrion Queen wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:14 pm This is a small thing, but is there a reason UCLA is the partner university when it's over 300 miles away?

Stanford University, UC Berkeley, Santa Clara University, and San Jose State University are all local and have preexisting relationships with many of the high schools here (I live in San Jose). Stanford has even had mentorship programs with San Jose's high schools for years. Also Stanford has the world’s largest digital camera for astronomy and astrophysics, LSST.
Hello, Carrion Queen,

Thank you for your inquiry about the lore details of Sycamore High School's magnet program. After some internal discussion between the SOTF: Cyber team, we have elected to, in response to the points you raised, change the school's partner university from UCLA to Stanford; the teaser has received an edit to conform with this change as well.

Best regards,

The SOTF: Cyber Team.
The official account for matters related to SOTF: Cyber.

Users:

DerArknight (Host)
Dogs231 (Second)
Yonagoda
Cicadan
Brackie
NoLife42069

Post by NoLife42069 »

What are the school's rules on tatoos in CR?
I have some neat kids, check them out if you're into that sort of thing. Yes, even if a chunk of them are older than me.
[+] spoiler in the game
One Room Deathgame: Angry Knife man with horrid scars.
"I gambled away my life and paid for it, now all that drives me forward is petty revenge."

U: An older version of me in a shituation.
"I always told my mom, that if she ever caught me smoking then something Very wrong has happened in my life."
Cyber:Ángel Alcántara, Watch his halo fade and his wings morph.
"Angels have always been ruthless. Uriel watches Eden with a fiery sword. They even say he is as pitiless as the demons. Maybe aspiring to be them is why I feel like a moth flying into a golden flame."
[+] spoiler Some far off dream
TV-intermissions: The Wannabe- Ivan Rodrigues(S68)- "No, beating me within an inch of my life and carving letters on my head wouldn't be funny."
The Desperate- Cylia "Cyl" McGill(S69)- "Just one more... Just one more kill and maybe he will look at me! I'M NOT A MONSTER!"
The Pyromaniac- Seraphine Sinclair(S70)-"Brighter! Hotter!! Louder!!! Let this flame burn the arena away! They want a show, but they can't take the heat!!!"

TV4: The Acrobat- Harper -"They always told me to be ready for anything..."
The Writer- Juniper -"Mom, Dad? I know you're watching. Fuck you for dreaming of this..."
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

A quick question on the subject of ego shooters: are there any other controversial realistic CR games? For example, is there a similar stigma against survival horror CR games? Is it viewed similarly to going to a haunt attraction, viewed as just as reprehensible as the ego shooters, or something else entirely?
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

What would be a safe period of time between avatar alterations before school staff pull the brakes?
[+] Yesterday
BR: B01 - Yoshio Akamatsu: Dear friend, You are a freak. You are not wanted. You are not necessary. And you are the only one who is.
BR: G09 - Yuko Sakaki: and although the fingers slice things such as oranges and bodies, we can no longer be reasonably sure what these things are.
PV1: F03 - Chanel Martin: Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world.
PV1: M17 - Matthew Payne: I don't know the question, but sex is definitely an answer.
TV1: BLU2 - Anna Hitchins: I am uncomfortable with the fact this conversation isn't about me.
TV1: BLK3 - Holly Hergenroeder: Tho'th who make peatheful revolution impothible will make violent revoluthun inevitable.
Virtua: F12 - Jacqueline "Cameo" Conroy: I am not looking to escape my darkness, I am learning to correct the monster I created there.
Virtua: F20 - Ramona Shirley: Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the body and explosions to everything.
SC1: B04 - Preston Grey: We often miss opportunity because it's dressed like a cheerleader and looks like it's about to shoot you in the face.
SC1: G07 - Anna Kateridge: Laziness is the first step towards somehow finishing in 8th place.
PV2: F17 - Erin Underwood: There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of getting kicked through a tree branch.
TV2: CJ5 - Jaxon Street: Fashionable people don't necessarily fall in love with fashionable people.
SC2: G03 - Lyndi Thibodeaux: To be a good leader, you sometimes need to go down the parish path.
SC2: B20 - Jason Andrews: It's time to water down the standards which would lead to bravery.
PV3P: M05 - Santiago "Sandy" Ibarra: And so the mongoose lay with the solenodon.
PV3P: F22 - Nani Clover: Be the survivor you wish to see in the world.
PV3P: M43 - Grant Moore: In this game, American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.
PV3: F11 - Calista Carpenter: Doing things you hate for people you love is what it means to be family.
PV3: F13 - Oliver Davies: Many boys owe the grandeur of their games to their tremendous delusions.
TV3: SB09 - Emmett Purcell: Men, give your power to the bitches that deserve it.
TV3: BC07 - Ashanti Baker: Don't speak your mind, even if your throat shakes to speak.
INTL: O01 - Rainbow Moseki: Hide yourself in music, so when someone wants to find you, they can kill that first.
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:
Holly Hadaway: "Could you imagine if I never got my teeth fixed? Who'd take me seriously?"
Jason Foley: "Get on my level, scrublord."

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

NoLife42069 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:44 am What are the school's rules on tatoos in CR?
I think I already answered this question in post #4.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

KamiKaze wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:14 am A quick question on the subject of ego shooters: are there any other controversial realistic CR games? For example, is there a similar stigma against survival horror CR games? Is it viewed similarly to going to a haunt attraction, viewed as just as reprehensible as the ego shooters, or something else entirely?
Survival Horror is fine, especially sinve CR haunted housrs exists.

First Person Shooters are the only genre seen as problematic.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Brackie wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:56 am What would be a safe period of time between avatar alterations before school staff pull the brakes?
Depends on the school staff and the kind of alterations, but in general anything more than once per day should be avoided.
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

What is the esports scene like in this world? There was no mention of it within the section on gaming, and perhaps more importantly is esports represented/supported at all by Sycamore High?

Any examples of popular video games within this world, and how much freedom do we have when it comes to making them up?

Do ego-shooters include all forms of first person shooter, or do less realistic shooters in the vein of Fortnite or Overwatch get a pass?

Lastly, how exactly do third person camera games work in the context of VR?
Kicking Akamatsu in the face since 2010
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Also, one more thing, whilst I believe NFTs have already come up is the idea of NFT CR items or clothing a thing? Not in terms of a jpeg, but an actual tangible CR object. For example, an NFT jacket your character can purchase and port to various CRs for their avatar to wear?
Kicking Akamatsu in the face since 2010
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Fiori wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:29 am What is the esports scene like in this world? There was no mention of it within the section on gaming, and perhaps more importantly is esports represented/supported at all by Sycamore High?
Students at Sycamore High can petition to open clubs for anything that isn't illegal as long as they find five people interested in joining, so we can say that a Gaming Club/ Esport Club exists.
Any examples of popular video games within this world, and how much freedom do we have when it comes to making them up?
A list with a few fictional games that are widely popular will be posted soonish. Apart from that, many games that are real exist in the world of Cyber both as the regular versions and CR-versions.
Do ego-shooters include all forms of first person shooter, or do less realistic shooters in the vein of Fortnite or Overwatch get a pass?
The ban on CR-FPS is pretty serious, so being less realistic doesn't give them a pass.

Instead, games like Overwatch who as mentioned above exist as non-CR-games and CR-games are retooled into being third-person. Fortnite is already third-person and thus unchanged.

However, there are First-Person games, just not shooter. For example, simulation games are all in first person.
Lastly, how exactly do third person camera games work in the context of VR?
A little bit like this, just with a HUD showing things in front of you to be more convenient. Depth perception is also much better.

The camera angle tends to be focussed either on the direction the head looks to.

Playing CR games in third person takes some time to get used to, but is no problem after a few hours of playing.
DerArknight

Post by DerArknight »

Fiori wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:59 am Also, one more thing, whilst I believe NFTs have already come up is the idea of NFT CR items or clothing a thing? Not in terms of a jpeg, but an actual tangible CR object. For example, an NFT jacket your character can purchase and port to various CRs for their avatar to wear?
Yes, NFTs can be turned into physical objects in CR.

Return to “SOTF: Cyber Planning/Discussion”