Night Moves

These are the passenger areas of the cruise ship, consisting of winding hallways spanning multiple floors, full of guest quarters, recreational facilities, bathrooms, and the like. Windows are many here, offering a good view of the rest of the arena, though the central location of the cruise ship means only pieces may be viewed from any given angle. The corridors connect all areas of the cruise ship and more; a number of emergency exits have been opened and ladders affixed to these points allow for entry and exit to the jetties and smaller boats nearby.
Jilly
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Jilly »

"...Yeah." A grin flashed on the boy's lips for a millisecond. "Me, too."

The chair screeched along the wood as the boy scoooched closer to Matias. He leaned forward again, resting his arms on one leg. He looked back out towards the water.

"...I ever tell ya how I tried to flunk that entrance test?"
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

Matias laughed in disbelief, eyebrows raised.

"Why? Passing that exam's the last good thing that's happened to me."

He put weight on the bendy plastic arm, leaning in towards the boy.
SC3:
Matias Juarez is fed up. He is currently walking home.
Pregame: now that you are broken by the seas, in the depths of the waters,
Memories: Vamô Detonar essa Porra!

Diego Larrosa is lost.
[+] ᵧₒᵤբₛ
[+] Supers
Dead:
SS35: Mattie Wilkinson can't stop thinking about the past. He tried his best to matter in There We Will Be, Like An Old Enemy. [14/43]
Previous Threads: would - I'm the Satellite and You're the Sky - I'll Be Your Friend in the Daylight Again - What Remains of Cyrus Vähi - Could You Spare My Blood? - Inertia
[+] TV3
TV3 Characters:
Dead:
BC03: Matias Juarez hates you, and you personally. It was all bullshit to him in the end. [24/81]
Previous Threads: Doves in the Wind - Chapter 46: Fantom Frigate - Matias & Me - Loyalty: 1 - Everything Is Going According to Plan - Loyalty: 2 - If I ever acquire wisdom, I suppose I'll be wise enough to know what to do with it - Go for Broke - Wisdom (Part 2) - The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living - The Distance Between the Landscape and Dusk - I Want to Conquer the World - Night Moves
Memory Thread: It's All So Incredibly Loud

SS11: Britnee Joyner (adopted from Somer!) heard something from a friend of a friend, and wants you to know about it. She gave the cameras one last smile in Out on the Sea, We'd Be Forgiven [37/81]
Previous Thread: It Matters if We All Live - 👁️👄👁️ -👁️📦👁️ - Wait a Minute! - Bravado - On the Way to Anywhere - I Want Blood, Guts, and Chocolate Cake
Pregame Threads: Now, Check That
Memory Threads: Let's Hit It 90 To Nothing
[+] SC2
Dead:
B16: "Badass" Johnny Lancer (adopted from Yugi!) is the diplomat with scars inside and out. He got what he deserved in Though Far Away, We're Still the Same [8/65]
Pregame: Hold Your Horses Now (We Sleep Until the Sun Goes Down).
Memories: Through the Dreamers, We Hear the Hum. They Say "Come On, Come On, Let's Go."
Previous Threads: I'm Looking For a Place to Start, But Everything Feels So Different Now - waste of words - Now, Wait, Wait, Wait for Me, Please Hang Around. I'll See You When I Fall Asleep - Sinking Man - Little Talks - There and Back Again - Your Bones - some day we may come to peace with the world within ourselves

B33: Damion Castillo is the perfectionist with cracks in his facade. He ran out of time in At Every Occasion, I'll Be Ready For The Funeral [38/65]
Previous Threads: Second Impressions - I'd Rather Be At The Aquarium.
Memories: Take a Bite of My Heart Tonight
[+] SOTF TV2
Dead:
CJ2 - Cathryn Bailey is the cynic who just wants respect. She lost control in Production Costs [4/72]
Previous Threads: A New Morning - Don't You? - The Jellies Experience - Makeup - Discordant - Stuck in the Middle with You - The Final Curtain - Grievances - Silver Lights - Going forward - Closing In
School: Whittree Secondary School
TB3 - Damion Castillo is the elitist who just wants to be good. He died a perfectly ordinary death in Lifdoff [65/72]
Previous Thread: Countdown
School: Davison Secondary School
pls give my kids friends tv3 version

Stephanie's Cuckaneers Today at 12:29 AM
maraoone was a mistake - cicada 2021
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

The boy laughed to himself. "Wish I could say the same, but... idunno. It ain't really that interesting."

He paused and gathered his thoughts before continuing.

"My mom made me take it. Like, she signed me up and shit and just dumped it on me. I was real mad at her for that, like I couldn't make my own decisions or some shit... though I was real pissed at a lotta people...

"...Anyway, yeah. So I didn't give a shit about if I did well or not because I was so mad. I even went outta my way to bubble in a few of the answers I knew was wronf. Couldn't make it too obvious, though I guess it weren't enough because I made it to the reserve list. Then someone gave up their slot and I 'won' that lottery and couldn't just say no, so."

Another pause as he wiped his palm over his face. He relaxed back into the chair as the plastic creaked.

"It's such bullshit, ya know? Like even God was railroading me. But..."

Creak.

"...idunno. I got to meet ya. So I realized a while ago regretting about it was probably pretty dumb."

Another creak as he leaned forward again, this time looking right at Matias.

"I'm tired of regrettin' things. And I just... idunno... I hope you're not regrettin' helping me with my own choices."
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

'I got to meet ya.' Matias smiled wryly. No one would ever tell him that.

He tried to pull the smile a little bit wider, just for Leslie. To humor him, he guessed. It was the least he deserved.

It was so hard holding that look he gave him. Kind, warm. Enough to burn right through him. But he held it. For him.

"I don't. Don't regret helping you out."

He looked away for a moment, gave the night sky and its stars one last look.

"Not if it brought you here at least."

Swallowed a lump. Placed his hand on the arm of Leslie's chair. Waited for it.
SC3:

Diego Larrosa is lost.
[+] ᵧₒᵤբₛ
[+] Supers
Dead:
SS35: Mattie Wilkinson can't stop thinking about the past. He tried his best to matter in There We Will Be, Like An Old Enemy. [14/43]
Previous Threads: would - I'm the Satellite and You're the Sky - I'll Be Your Friend in the Daylight Again - What Remains of Cyrus Vähi - Could You Spare My Blood? - Inertia
[+] TV3
TV3 Characters:
Dead:
BC03: Matias Juarez hates you, and you personally. It was all bullshit to him in the end. [24/81]
Previous Threads: Doves in the Wind - Chapter 46: Fantom Frigate - Matias & Me - Loyalty: 1 - Everything Is Going According to Plan - Loyalty: 2 - If I ever acquire wisdom, I suppose I'll be wise enough to know what to do with it - Go for Broke - Wisdom (Part 2) - The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living - The Distance Between the Landscape and Dusk - I Want to Conquer the World - Night Moves

SS11: Britnee Joyner (adopted from Somer!) heard something from a friend of a friend, and wants you to know about it. She gave the cameras one last smile in Out on the Sea, We'd Be Forgiven [37/81]
Previous Thread: It Matters if We All Live - 👁️👄👁️ -👁️📦👁️ - Wait a Minute! - Bravado - On the Way to Anywhere - I Want Blood, Guts, and Chocolate Cake
[+] SC2
Dead:
B16: "Badass" Johnny Lancer (adopted from Yugi!) is the diplomat with scars inside and out. He got what he deserved in Though Far Away, We're Still the Same [8/65]
Memories: Through the Dreamers, We Hear the Hum. They Say "Come On, Come On, Let's Go."
Previous Threads: I'm Looking For a Place to Start, But Everything Feels So Different Now - waste of words - Now, Wait, Wait, Wait for Me, Please Hang Around. I'll See You When I Fall Asleep - Sinking Man - Little Talks - There and Back Again - Your Bones - some day we may come to peace with the world within ourselves

B33: Damion Castillo is the perfectionist with cracks in his facade. He ran out of time in At Every Occasion, I'll Be Ready For The Funeral [38/65]
[+] SOTF TV2
Dead:
CJ2 - Cathryn Bailey is the cynic who just wants respect. She lost control in Production Costs [4/72]
Previous Threads: A New Morning - Don't You? - The Jellies Experience - Makeup - Discordant - Stuck in the Middle with You - The Final Curtain - Grievances - Silver Lights - Going forward - Closing In
TB3 - Damion Castillo is the elitist who just wants to be good. He died a perfectly ordinary death in Lifdoff [65/72]

Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Leslie looked at the hand, then back to the sea without an expression.

"I'm... I'm glad."

After some time, he flashed a smile that rolled away with the tide.

"I also... uh..." He cleared his throat and glanced at Matias, at Matias's hand. "I guess it's gettin' real close to the end now... If you make it home or not, like, it ain't up to me. Long as you just do your best, ya know? That's 'bout the best guys like us can do, our best, whatever ending that gives us. Guess that's what I was tryna say."

He looked at the hand again, at Matias, at the hand again. He bit his lip.

"...And, uh—"
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

Matias opened his eyes.

Still night. Still in the corridors.

Still alone.

He sat up in his bed, pulled on his slightly damp shirt. Didn't move for a few seconds. Just, he couldn't sleep anymore, but there was a feeling he'd had, a nice feeling, and it was gone, and he wanted to feel it again, but even the memory of the feeling was slipping away from him like sand between his fingers. He even waited for that cold frigid breeze to enter, but it didn't. The air was stagnant. Didn't feel cold or warm anymore, despite everything. Like his nerves had been scorched off.

Do your best. That's what he'd been told.

He reached into his bag. Sifted around a few seconds, sort of aimlessly. Fingers just wiggling, feeling for something. And then, they felt a crumpled, thin object.

He pulled it out slowly, careful not to rip the paper. And then, in his hand, was a deformed, days-old paper boat.

He'd deposited all the ones he'd made by Leslie's body, he thought. Yet, here in his hands was another one.

So why was it here?

He sucked at math, so he sucked at counting. He'd made an extra, and had just forgotten about it until now.

It was a last farewell from Leslie, some last reminder for him to do his best before he sailed off to the great ocean in the sky. He needed to let go, and stop blaming himself for something that wasn't entirely his fault. He needed to move on.

It was a warning from Leslie, to do his best while he still could. Dreams meant something, his mom would tell him. He'd had nightmares shortly before Dad lost his job, ruined all their lives.

He made it just now, actually, and has been lying to himself and to you this entire time. He did it to make himself feel better, the same way dreams are stitched and folded together from other figments of your memories and imagination, crafted so you can tell yourself what you want to hear, no matter how nice or ugly it may be.

All of the above.

None of the above.

He didn't really have the presence of mind to decide on an answer. All he knew was that he felt newly bereaved. The air felt warm and cold and ghostly and lonely, and he fucking missed Leslie. And he would do his best because Leslie wanted him to, because he couldn't do anything but his best, because he wanted himself to do his best.

He would leave this room because his best wasn't here, because he had to keep trying.

Or simply because he didn't want to be here anymore.

So, for one last time, he uncrumpled this paper boat. He uncrumpled it, and he made his slow trek over to the railing of the boat. He looked over the boat, settled on the palm of his hand, and tipped his hand over.

And he watched as it floated down, landed onto the great sea below.

((Matias Juarez continues in Ashanti & I))
SC3:

Diego Larrosa is lost.
[+] ᵧₒᵤբₛ
[+] Supers
Dead:
[+] TV3
TV3 Characters:
Dead:

[+] SC2
Dead:

[+] SOTF TV2
Dead:

Return to “Cruise Ship: Corridors”