Stroke of Midnight

Phase 2 (13-24 Hours)

The dwellings found on the western side of the settlement were occupied by the poorer denizens of the town. These buildings tend to be low, small, densely-packed, and in questionable states of repair. Those that are more than one story tend to be divided into apartments, and were probably largely tenanted by sailors and dockworkers. The architecture is largely bare stucco and wood, and roofs are mostly flat. Gardens, when present, are small and poorly-maintained. Many of the buildings were clearly shared by many inhabitants, evidenced by extremely efficient layouts and numerous beds. The light here is poor, and there are a number of alleys and tight spaces suitable to concealment... or ambush. In the Prologue this area has no thread limit, so long as threads do not contradict each other.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Laurie stared down at the shoe in her hand and then she lowered it, feeling like a fool for letting the girl get away. She was definitely not very good at keeping their enemy from escaping. She didn't even think that the windows would open in the house. But she had been wrong and she had let herself and Zeke down.

"S-She got away...." She mumbled softly, stating the obvious and she couldn't even look Zeke in the eye. "I.... I tried to stop her, but...."

She dropped the shoe to the ground.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Zeke was furious. His grip tightened around the revolver. He glared at Laurie. Worthless runt.

Then, in an instant, the rage vanished. He was exhausted. He hadn't slept. His head was throbbing. Zeke walked past Laurie and sat down on the bed. He clutched his head with his free hand and closed his eyes.

It happened again. Another escaped quarry. Another, failure. Actually... no, this was much worse. The mystery girl didn't just escape him, she beat him. She would have killed him if not for Laurie's help. It was humiliating.

What the hell was he even doing? What chance was there for him?
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Laurie noticed how Zeke seemed to her. He seemed like he was defeated, humiliated. She never wanted him to be seen like that to her. She had to do something to make things right. The girl must have been long gone now. But....

"I'm going after her." She said in a blunt, determined tone of voice. "Then I'll come back, I promise."

She headed over to the door, standing in the doorway, she turned her head to look back at him and she gave him a brief, small smile. This was the least that she could do. She wanted to be a useful partner to him.

"Take care of yourself, Zeke."

Then she was gone.

((Laurie Moran continued elsewhere))
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

What?

Zeke looked up to see Laurie standing by the door. Was she serious? No...

She left. Zeke stared at the empty doorway. There was no way she would leave on her own. But she just did...

Zeke stood up sharply. He felt a rush of pain hit his head, and he stumbled, grabbing a bedpost for balance. He pushed through it and kept going. Zeke made it to the doorway and shined his flashlight around the main room. Laurie was already gone, though. He kept going. He had to stop her. It was so pointless, so stupid. Why was she doing this?

Maybe she just wanted to leave.

((Zeke Brant continued elsewhere))

Return to “Western Dwellings (Prologue)”