Opposite Reflections

Anywhere which doesn't fall into any of the other locations, including directly by the towering walls of The Compound, and the alleyways between buildings.

Moderator: Sh4dE

Fiori

Post by Fiori »

((Forgive me for this taking so long.))

Sophie jumped back just as Brendon fired his pistol twice, the bullets narrowly missing her as she backed up along the building's wall with her sights trained at the corner.

This was getting ridiculous. SHE was meant to be the one putting the pressure on people, not the other way around. If she had found Brendon and Louis without either of them noticing, then she could have taken them both down quickly without finding herself in a dangerous firefight, like the one she was in right now. At this rate, making a tactical retreat was beginning to sound like the best option. Get away, regroup, then track them both down and take care of things in a far more practical fashion.

The fact that Brendon was beginning to ramble on wasn't helping matters though. What on earth was he trying to achieve? Did he honestly think that she would be stupid enough to believe a bluff like that? Furthermore, the boy was obviously delusional. Since when were they on an island? And if she was worried about what people cared about her back home, why would she have ever gone this far in the first place? The Program was all about survival, nothing else. She could worry about things like that once she was safe and sound, but for now all she had to worry about was getting out of this situation as fast as possible.

And that was the reason why Sophie immediately turned around and dashed in the opposite direction...

...Only to bump into a very surprised and highly armed Louis Johnson. What the-!?!

The two stumbled over, each of them dropping their guns to the floor. Instinctively, Sophie rolled over and attempted to reach for her shotgun, but Louis kicked it away before she could get her hands of it. Thoroughly annoyed, Sophie attempted to reach for her crowbar, which had been tucked into her bag for just such an occasion. However, Louis had already whipped out his Utility Knife by this point, and before Sophie could retrieve her weapon the boy who had been her sister's friend had pinned her to the floor and was attempting to stab her with his knife.

With genuine fear in her eyes, Sophie kicked and scratched at her attacker, barely able to keep the deadly blade away from her as she attempted to think of a way out of the predicament she had found herself in. After all, there was no way that she would be getting this far only to die at this stupid boy's hands. However, he had pinned on of her arms down, and her free hand was too busy holding back Louis' knife to be of any use. She had attempted kicking him somewhere more sensitive several times, but to no avail.

Which meant that she only had one more option. Christ, I'm going to regret doing this...

It was at that point that Sophie leaned forwards and bit Louis' ear as hard as she could.

The boy screamed in agony, letting his guard drop so that Sophie could scamper away. With barely seconds until he recovered, Sophie reached out for the nearest weapon, which in this case took the form of Louis' carbine.

The very same carbine that had been used to kill Stephanie, not that she realised this.

She quickly got back onto her feet, making sure that Louis was between her and Brendon, her gun trained on the helpless boy who was now kneeling before her. Now THIS was a little more like it. Sophie was beginning to get tired of being the victim in this situation... Now, SHE was the one in control. Louis was completely at her mercy, and unless he had godlike reflexes it was impossible for him to get away unless she wanted him to.

Not that she had any intention of letting him go, not when she was this close to ending this nightmare.
Kicking Akamatsu in the face since 2010
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

He may not have been able to shoot her behind, but trying to slash her with his box cutter. He could do that. But she was good too, despite being knocked to the ground. Well yeah she's killed how many fucking people? She was able to block his arm where Ryan had dodged.

She was kicking at him, but luckily his crotch was out of reach. Come on aren't you tired of holding my arm yet? Answer was yes. "ARGH!" God damn that hurt, she was maiming his ear! He was getting mad again, why did this psycho have to freaking maul him?

He fumbled to the ground, she had pushed him. Now what was previously his own gun was pointed right at him. So this is how it ends ehh? Not if he could help it. He had been around people with weapons when he had nothing before. Brett had a machine gun. Louis was fine. John Ferrara had a giant gun. Louis was fine. He'd get through this, just needed to think. Talk her off, like with Brett.

But she spoke first. "Ryan was supposed to be my kill." Gee it was almost like she was growling at him. He was oh so sorry for killing her now. Clearly he was wrong to have killed someone who had pissed off someone else. "Next time we'll talk about it, yeah?"

Sophie frowned at him. Well that was too bad. He wasn't there to make her happy. "She killed my sister," was the reply he got. "Well darn, I guess she only mattered to you, huh?" He was being sarcastic like usual, but unlike the usual he was actually being mean. His words had real bite now. He knew why. They weren't kids in a classroom anymore. They had killed, they had guns, and his bleeding ear was enough to remind him of who he was dealing with.

Crap

The barrel of the carbine was now right in his face.

Shit this didn't work did i-

M03: JOHNSON, LOUIS: DECEASED
Tythanin*

Post by Tythanin* »

(OOC: Augh, final four. I've got to step it up. At least, that's what I say, but this post is going to suck.)

There wasn't an answer to his rant and Brendon sighed. He knew there probably wasn't any chance of Sophie surrendering or anything like that, but it was nice to cling to that one-percent of hope. He prepared himself for a few more shots fired his way, but instead heard running instead. He quickly rounded the corner to see that Sophia and Louis had somehow managed to get into a fist-fight while he wasn't looking. 'Son of a bitch!'

He aimed his gun at Sophie, but with the way they were moving and his own inexperience with the handgun, he wasn't at all confident about actually managing to hit the girl. It was probably a fifty/fifty chance and those weren't odds that he enjoyed, so Brendon could only grit his teeth and look for some sort of opening. He wanted to charge and go in swinging like every other time he was in a fight, but Louis looked like he was managing to hold his own.

At least, he was until Sophie bit him in the ear. Louis let out an ear-piercing scream and Brendon winced in pain. He immediately lifted the Calico and pointed it at Sophie as she picked up Louis's carbine, his eyes narrowed as he tried to steady his aim. Somehow, someway everything had just gone to shit. Louis was between the two of them, on his knees and clearly helpless. Sophie now had a carbine pointed at his head. 'Shit, shit!'

"Don't do it, don't do it." Brendon said in a low tone, trying to sound threatening, but if Sophie had heard him, it didn't matter. She was talking to him. Something about one of the dead people was supposed to be her kill. Brendon didn't care. All he wanted was to make sure that Sophie didn't kill Louis. He could shoot her right now. He could. Just pull the trigger and take her out while she was talking. But while his finger tightened around the trigger, no shot came. He still hoped things would work out somehow. He believed in that one-percent chance that Sophie was going to let Louis live.

Just like before, he was wrong. Sophia pulled the trigger and shot Louis in the face. It reminded him of Abby. The girl with the gun. The helpless target on the ground. The shots through the head. The feeling of helplessness, of being able to do nothing to influence the outcome. But unlike that time when he only had his boxing gloves, this time he had a weapon that mattered. He could have taken the risk and fired while they were in close combat. He could have written Sophie off straight from the start and fired before she blasted Louis in the head.

But he hadn't. Now he had someone else to add to his list of people he had failed to protect. For someone who was supposed to be a good friend and an aspiring hero, he wasn't particularly good at either. It was disgusting. Insults rang through Brendon's head, all aimed at himself. But just because he failed didn't mean he was going to give up. There were still things left to do here. He never even managed to get revenge by murdering Madeline, but killing Sophie would be a nice analog.

He didn't say anything as he pressed the trigger. God willing, it wouldn't kill her. Just disable her.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Tythanin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Sophie almost immediately regretted telling Louis that she was supposed to be the one who killed Ryan.

It had seemed like the appropriate thing to say at the time. After all, it wasn't as if Louis was just another hurdle between herself and getting out of this damned compound. He had stolen her right to retribution by killing the girl who had murdered her sister. Sure, he had been Stephanie's friend as well, and her sister had even gone as far as refusing to shoot him at her own insistence. But the fact remained that Stephanie had been her sister, and no matter how much Louis felt obliged to be the one to avenge her, he had no right to take matters into his own hands like that.

That was why a part of her felt the need to let him know this shortly before his death.

That said, after having told him this, she couldn't help but feel as though all she had achieved was wasting precious time. It was unprofessional of her to act like this, not to mention highly impractical. She had to stay focused. Not let herself get distracted by childish thoughts like vengeance. She had seen enough movies to know that the longer someone stalled pulling the trigger in a situation like this, the more likely it was that they would be the one who died instead of the person they were aiming at.

Besides, whilst she didn't have to worry about Louis posing a threat for much longer, Brendon's presence still made this situation far more dangerous then she was particularly comfortable with. And as much as she wanted to eliminate them both right here and now, she deemed it too risky a task to attempt to gun them both down within such a small space of time. No, instead she'd make a run for it after dealing with Louis. She would get the chance to recuperate, plan her next strategy. She had already made it this far, so dying now was not an option. Now that she had said what needed to be said, there wasn't any reason to put off the inevitable any further.

With this thought in mind, instead of replying to Louis' sarcastic comment, Sophie simply pulled the trigger and ran in the opposite direction.

Unsurprisingly, Brendon opened fire, although thankfully he proved to be a terrible shot. Sophie quickly dashed around the corner of the admin building, narrowly avoiding another gunshot as she ran for a door that had caught her eye...((Sophie Mason continued in Nearing the End))
Kicking Akamatsu in the face since 2010
Tythanin*

Post by Tythanin* »

'How did I miss?!' Brendon thought with almost detached surprise, unable to believe that he could miss a standing target so easily. Sure, firing a gun wasn't first nature to him, but for something like that to happen was just way too much bad luck and skill to even comprehend. What's worse was that Sophie was already running off and doing a great job of getting away while he stood there like an idiot. With an angry grunt, he pointed the Calico at the ground and fired once just to make sure it wasn't loaded with magic target-evading bullets. It shot straight into the ground and he muttered a soft curse. Sometimes luck just wasn't going his way...although really, luck had never gone his way during his whole time in this damnable compound.

He made to chase after Sophie, but halted as he reached the dead body of Louis Johnson. He wanted to go after Sophie, but it didn't feel right to just leave Louis without saying or doing anything. Most of it was because he was mostly responsible for it. Sure, Sophie had pulled the trigger, but he hadn't done anything to stop her. He had clung to some stupid vision of hope or something that made him just freeze when the chips were down and he needed to act. And because he couldn't, Louis was dead, just like everyone else that had partnered with him during his time in the compound.

'What would Megan say if she could see me now? Just another failure. Hero, hero, hero. Is this really the hero you died for, Megan? Son of a bitch.' Brendon knelt next to Louis, quickly glancing around to see if Sophie was going to poke her head somewhere for him to shoot at. When nothing presented a danger, he placed a hand on the corpse's shoulder, feeling the cooling flesh. His lips and throat were dry and he swallowed, trying to think of words beyond, "I screwed up."

But there weren't any. He opened his mouth to speak. "I screwed up, Louis. I screwed up and you paid for it. It was my mistake. I should have shot her. But I couldn't even hit her when she was standing still." He laughed. "What kind of piss-poor kind of aim is that, huh? With accuracy like that, I'd probably be better off just clubbing her with this thing instead of firing it."

He wasn't sure why he was trying to joke with a dead person, but it felt good to let his frustrations out. "This isn't done, though. I'll get her. Don't worry. Some way or another, she'll die. I mean it. So just...just man, I'm sorry. I'll...killing her won't make up for it. I know that. But it might just be a little bit of something. And if you see her in the afterlife, tell her that she's such an asshole."

Brendon sighed as he got to his feet and began the slow, careful walk to the corner and then out into the open.

He was beginning to wonder how he managed to live this long. Some hero.

((Brendon Arrington continued in It Isn't Enough to Pretend.))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Tythanin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “Open Ground”