Hang Out in D Minor

SDA: the musical!

Sandbox threads from TV1.
peregrineink*

Hang Out in D Minor

Post by peregrineink* »

Jake had always loved the library at SDA, it was one of the few times he was actually glad he was sent here. It all looked so old, all of the dusty leather bound books all up on the shelves, the really neat looking mahogany tables. It also provided computers, which was awesome, since half the time he couldn't use his because his mother was afraid of online sex predators. His free period, the last period of the day, usually ended up being spent in the library, not because he was some kind of book nerd or something, but because of the internet.

Now, of course, he needed to focus on finishing his article for the paper, since that was due at the end of the day and he had procrastinated more than usual.

Attendance has reached a record low for SDAs' Jazz Band, as their recital took place at the same time as a particularly special episode of SOTF-TV. Only half of the band itself was in attendance, as well as several devoted parents...

No, that just wasn't going to do. Jake's tongue poked out of side of his mouth as he typed. Reading back his own words, it very much looked like he was criticizing the massive, widespread love of SOTF-TV. He could understand it, he guessed, SOTF-TV had great marketing, and just the existence of the thing rose so many questions. What would Jake do in a situation where he would have to kill his classmates? Would he do it? Could he? Jake's stomach turned as he remembered the last time his dad took him hunting. He didn't think he could do it...but then again, those animals weren't trying to kill him right back.

Jake alternated between writing his "fair and balanced" article while idly staring at some sophomore girl in the stack, hoping that she'd reach for a book on the tall shelf so he could see the line of flesh between her shirt and the waistband of her jeans. The bell rang.

"Oh maaan," he mumbled. He hadn't taken out the anti-SOTF-TV slant but he didn't care. Quickly, he wrote up and e-mail and sent it to his editor. There.

There was no swim team practice today, so as Jake stepped out of the library and headed towards Shawn's locker. Maybe Shawn would want to hang out or something. They hadn't jammed in a while and that would probably be something cool to do.

Shawn had not gotten to his locker yet, so Jake figured he'd just wait. It probably wouldn't be long before he got there.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cake

Post by Cake »

[[Shawn Morrison's Pregame: Thread #2.]]

Shawn stepped out of the Music Department Section of the Silver Dragon Academy and into the hallways. His last class of the day, was a musical instrument instruction type class. Shawn was a music type person. So it made sense. Music is just kick-awesome.

Through out the year, the students would learn and hone their crafts of a variety of different instruments; a benefit of being at the wealthy academy. They were about a week in learning their latest: the clarinet. Of course Shawn, being the type of music virtuoso kid that he was; he pretty much got the hang of the wood wind, pretty quick. Music was just one of those things he simply 'got'.

He walked to the area where his locker was located. Pretty much on the other end of the school. There, he'd get his stuff, and... go home? Holly already told him the Eco-Club meeting was canceled today and he didn't really have any plans. What to do. Shawn continued to walk to his destination, unbuttoning his dark blue blazer a little. Normally he'd dress a little like his 'hippy' self, as he was dubbed around Silver Dragon, but Grandma Patty insisted he wear one of these new blazers in the set she bought for him. She said it made him look handsome and professional. Grandma Patty was nice, so the least he could do was wear them every once in a while. People were always so surprised when he dressed, quote-unquote: Normal. He took off his magenta silk scarf and wrapped it around his head, like a head band and pulled out some retro shades. There we go, Shawn's back.

Turning the corner to the walkway, Shawn spotted his good buddy, Jacob "Jake" Langston hanging around his locker. Jake hadn't spotted him yet, so Shawn ducked back behind the wall. It wasn't Shawn, to meet a friend without a "proper greeting". He looked at his clarinet.

Hahaha. I got it...

Using the clarinet, Shawn went back around the corner and headed toward Jake, playing "Flight of the Bumblebee" as he traveled closer to his friend and his locker.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

(Sorry it's short!)

As soon as Jake heard the first few notes, he knew who it was. Immediately his fingers found the proper placement on an imaginary piano in front of him, and he played out the piano part.

"Doo do do do!" Jake hummed the part to the air piano, completely aware that this was probably ridiculous, but Shawn was infectious like that, and what did Jake care about other people? What was the point in living a life if you couldn't be yourself?

He added a silly little dance to his air piano routine, a sort of awkward bouncy rocking back and forth that cursed all of his attempts at dancing. Jake, of course, was a hit with all the ladies at dances, and was always first picked. Not. However it was funny, fake playing the keyboard while perpetuating his rocking in the free world.

"Hey man!" Jake called, continuing to play.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cake

Post by Cake »

It was a kick to see Jake, miming the piano part of "Flight of the Bumblebee" and humming along. Shawn chuckled to himself internally. He looked up and nodded when Jake said hey, but continued the playing. As he reached Jake and the locker, he finished the last few notes.

Du, Dun.. Dun! He lowered the clarinet. With a straight face... "Groovy."

Shawn gave a small grin. "Heeeyo Jake-o..." He extended his open hand into the air, palm down, to his pal. For one of those teenage Hi five, handshake combos.

"What is up, chum?"
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Jake's hands were big and awkward, but he pulled off the bro-tastic combination of bumps and high fives ending in a handshake with little grace, but perfect accuracy. When he was a kid he always dreamed of having a secret handshake with a friend, however his mom was always so worried about him getting sick that he rarely remembers touching anyone as a kid. Not even her. Well, his Dad liked to pat him on the back if Jake did something he particularly liked. He liked that.

Immediately, Jake felt guilty for thinking about his dad around Shawn. He was always careful not to bring up potentially painful things around other people, like Zach and his autism, Madelyn and her autistic brother and the fact that she fought a lot, or Mae and her inability to feel feelings like a real human. With Shawn, Jake was careful not to bring up dads unless he did first. It was only polite, right?

He was probably over thinking it all, but he liked to make the effort for people.

"Nothing much, nothing much," Jake said, bobbing his head. "I was wondering if you were down to jam later or something. Later being after school and such."
Cake

Post by Cake »

"We got the handshake under our tongue..." Shawn said in an almost sing-song voice, as they completed the handshake. Shawn looked around and noticed a few people staring at them, but then looking away quickly when they realized Shawn saw them after flashing the peace sign.

Their little musical demonstration and follow up handshake must have been quite strange to see. Eh, Shawn didn't mind those kids much. People could give them odd looks if they wanted. Sure Shawn knew he was the unconventional sort when compared to other Seventeen Teen Year Old's. But at least Shawn Morrison was Real.

Real. I should get that tattooed on my pec someday!

Shawn turned his attention to his locker. 66... 55... 40. Click. He took the stuff he needed for home and stuffed the other stuff into his locker. He pulled out a small bottle of antiseptic mouthwash, he had stored in his locker. He twisted the cap open and poured some of the green mint liquid into his mouth. He started swishing it around lightly, making sure to rinse it clean.

Jake started talking. Shawn was still rinsing his mouth, but kept nodding at his pal, letting him know he was still listening. Jake, he was really into music. Into it, just as much as Shawn was. Sure they had a few differing music tastes, but it was always nice to talk to someone who was just as passionate about it. Jake and Shawn would often share music, talk music, play music, experiment with music, when in the music mood.

About a half minute later, Shawn walked over to the oasis water fountain nearby, and unleashed the antiseptic mouthwash from with in. He drank some water, and turned around smacking his lips a little. His breath felt minty fresh. Shawn turned back to Jacob and ruffled his own hair a little bit.

"Uh, yeah. Cool. I don't have anything important to do today. Holly Hergenroeder, said the Eco-Club meeting was canceled today anyway. Supposedly the club supervisor, Mrs. Trimming, is on an excursion to Acapulco."

Shawn had always wanted to go to a place with a beach. There wasn't too many beaches in Texas. He missed the times when he was younger, when they'd go to the beaches with his family as a kid. He always wanted to go surfing; it just sounded like something he'd be into. Oops, he was daydreaming again.

"So yeah. Anyway. Yup, we can hang out at my house if you want. Do you need a ride? Mr. Treacy should be coming by with the limousine anytime now." Mr. Treacy, was the Morrison Family Chauffeur, who was usually instructed to pick Shawn up from school, unless told otherwise. "But if you brought a car, maybe I could hitch a ride with you? I could call the house and tell them I'm carpooling home."
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Jake's car was in the shop, something with the transmission, but that's what happens when the car is older than you are. He was jazzed on his 16th birthday when his parents gave him that old car, but occasionally, such as now, he was sort of embarrassed by it. Most of the people at SDA were rich, it was sort of how things go down when it's a super private school where the kids want for nothing. Jake usually didn't mind, he really didn't, that his parents didn't make as much money as they had hoped. They had always made sure that he wanted for nothing, even if it meant sacrifices for them. Even if it meant situations where his best friend had the limo waiting...unless Jake's bucket was available.

It was one of those times where Jake made a mental note about his hypothetical future children. If he wasn't rich, they were going to go to a rich kid's school.

"Nah man, we can take the limo, I always think it's fun to ride backwards anyway."
Cake

Post by Cake »

He took a look at Jacob's face. Jake seemed to look a bit embarrassed when Shawn casually mentioned the Limo again. Shawn felt kinda bad. He knew not everyone was born into such a rich family like the Morrison clan. In fact it was only about 5 or 6 years ago, when he moved in with his Socialite Grandma Patricia Morrison, and thus entering the life of the rich but not quite famous. Shawn was glad he didn't grow up "old money" with his mother's side of the family, for most of his life. Or else, he'd probably have ended up as some kind of elitist WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) Preppy kid. Just like their classmate Kevin Fielding in fact. The guy wasn't too bad, but still, Shawn cringed at the thought of turning out like that.

Jake decided to take the limo. It was slightly disappointing. Shawn actually would have loved to have caught a ride with Jake. And Turn up the radio or CD's of some awesome songs. While 'feeling' the music and bobbing one's head to the rhythm.

It seemed more conventional for two friends to ride a regular car, no matter how old it was. It was like when Shawn was younger. Yes, his dad usually liked to walk or use other means of transportation than driving to get around. Help keep the environment clean, by reducing car pollution. But he did use a car, when it was farther distances or time issues. Riding a regular car, was like a great reminder of life back when his father was still alive. Plus Mr. Treacy was kind of the "watchful eye" on him for Grandma Patty. Always having to ruin the fun, with his traditional posh rich people attitude.

"Cool dude. I wouldn't mind riding with you if your car wasn't in repair. Treacy grates me sometimes. Anyway. Let's go."

As they headed out Shawn wondered if Jacob would bring his acoustic guitar with him. Maybe play some tunes a little bit as they rode home? Shawn knew Jake was kind of a song writer. He wrote songs, but was usually too ashamed to share. Heck Shawn wrote some songs and stuff too, but they were a little more "eccentric" then most. So of course, Shawn wouldn't give a hoot about the writing quality.

They stepped out into the student pick up zone. One of the Morrison family's limos already on wait. Treacy stood beside the driver's side door. The dignified old man, was sharply dressed in his suit and tie, with the fancy gloves. His head nearly bald, with most of the hair kept in his groomed beard, all of which was formerly black, but now graying ever so slightly.

"Greetings young Shawn... You're Late." Treacy gave a look to Jake. "And hello... you."

"Salutations, Mr. Treacy. I apologize for the lateness. I hope you don't mind, but my friend Jake here will be hitching a ride today." Shawn spoke in an out of character, proper tone.

"Very well then... Jake." He slurred his words a bit.
"Hop in. But make haste, the both of you. Shawn, I am supposed to pick up few of your cousins as well a little later. One of your Aunts also have an appointment to get to very soon. Please remember to come on time." At least when they got home, Treacy would be gone.

They took a seat in the wide space of the limousine rear. The driver and passenger window barrier was closed. Thank goodness.

"Dude, Jake your timing was perfect. After they canceled the Eco Club meeting, I was like... what? Couldn't we just have the meeting without Mrs. Trimming? We usually could even when she was sick or something. But then I heard that there was some kind of 'Special Episode' of 'that show' going on today, about half of the members said they couldn't afford to miss. So I was like: so what about the folks who don't watch that show? Why's some TV show gotta come first?"

He looked at Jake with a tiny closed mouth smirk. "So then... I didn't really have any plans today. I thought you'd have swim practice, or newspaper. Then you showed up near my locker to hang out. So now I'm all good. Hah..."

Classical music was playing through the speakers. It was usually the default. Shawn did like all kinds of music. He did love Classical Music, and was quite appreciative of it, but still, it lacked the "punch" of some other kinds of music of the modern era. It wasn't music folks could really "groove" to. He turned the volume down. The music system could play just about anything.

"So, Jakey... What do you feel like listening today? Unless you got some of your own music to share. I'm up for a look or listen."
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Jake's cheeks turned a little pinker at the thought of sharing his music with anyone, he cleared his throat and wiggled in his seat a little, limos were awesome because his legs could finally stretch out, but the fanciness compared with the classical music was mind boggling. He still couldn't get past Shawn talking like that to the driver, it was like some alien taking over Shawn's body on some quest to make him upper class.

Well, technically Shawn was upper class, but that was neither here nor there.

"I want to listen to something...loud," Jake replied. He couldn't place it was he was seriously in the mood for some blow-your-hair-back-in-your-face-where-did-your-eyebrows-go crazy music. "You got anything like that?"
Cake

Post by Cake »

"Whatever you want to listen to, I have it."

Shawn handed the touch screen device to Jake. It was the control that held the set list to the car's music system. Shawn wasn't exactly sure what kind of "loud" music Jake wanted to listen to today. Did he mean fast paced or upbeat? Did he mean any music as long as it was loud? Or did he want to listen to music that was typically loud, like hard rock or something? That last one would have surprised even Shawn, as he didn't think Jake was usually the type to listen to loud hard rock.

"Have a look for yourself. We probably have time for one song before we get to my house."

He figured he'd talk a bit, while Jake searched. "I know we talked about this before, but what are some of your favorite bands? Or musical artists?"

(Closing thread due to SOTF-TV Game starting. *Shawn and Jake talk music, and what it would like to be in a band*)

Return to “TV1 Sandbox”