The King in Yellow

I do believe some team members are supposed to be meeting, if not, open!

One of the most popular destinations on the island other than the hotel, guests could soak in the revitalizing tar for as long as they want; for a fee of course. Now that the island has been requisitioned for SotF, the bubbling, oozing black pools take on a more sinister tone.
peregrineink*

The King in Yellow

Post by peregrineink* »

(Jake Langston continued from Breathless)

Jake didn't feel like saying anything as they walked, instead he chewed on his lips and allowed his mind to wander to rather....well...strange areas. Now that he was in considerable peril, he was starting to think about what he had done in his life. He used to pride himself on being a nice guy, he had never hurt anyone, he had never teased any kid, he had always tried to be nice.

But he was no angel. Oh, he had definitely committed pre-martial sex, did that count as being bad? He watched as Mikaela walked a little ahead of him, and Madelyn walked beside him. He had slept with them both. Before all of this started it hadn't seemed so strange. Now that he was in some sort of life and death situation it seemed to be incredibly weird. He felt like some playboy. Of course that was utterly ridiculous, plenty of guys had done it in high school, and it wasn't as though he had slept with anyone else. Also, the contexts were different. Mikaela had been a friends with benefits that had one day taken a step in the sex direction, while Madelyn had been meaningful, girlfriendy. Both were definitely great, but sometimes he wished that Madelyn had come first. It was a love vs. lust thing.

Of course Jake would definitely never tell Mikaela that.

Why was he thinking about all of this now? They were on an island, they almost all blew up, it's not like he was going to sleep with any of them on the island (he thought with a certain pang of regret), so he could seriously kiss his future sex life good-bye, unless he got off the island. Think positive, Langston.

He thought he heard something up ahead....was it bubbling? He stopped suddenly and noticed patches of tar everywhere. That was rather unsettling....what kind of an island was this anyway? Who would actually vacation here?!

"I think we're at the tar pits," he said obviously. "Anyone uh...want lunch?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Un67*

Post by Un67* »

(BRN04: Marion Clayton continued from Breathless.)

Marion was not particularly happy as her group walked to... somewhere, she had no clue where they were going. The sudden Danger Zoning of the Inland Lake disturbed her in an otherwise calm moment, bringing her right back to the edge after calming down ever so slightly. Of course, then adding in the fact that she had to hold with her (more like drag behind her) a several pound sword as tall as she was, one could only expect that she did not have a pleasant walk. Although she did do her best to try to stay positive, she still felt ever so strained by the walk.

Naturally, this only meant that she was overjoyed when the group suddenly stopped and Jake pointed out that they were at the tar pits, perhaps somewhat obviously, but not to Marion if not for the fact that she was in something of a stupor from trying to carrying the sword and walk. Then, when Jake suggested having lunch, Marion couldn't help but grin at the chance to take a break. She then said brightly, "Sure, Jake, sounds like a great idea for me. Why don't we all sit down and take a short break? I think we all deserve it."

Then, hoping the others would follow, she sat down on a comfortable looking spot on the ground and set her sword down by her side, before taking a bite of bread and a small drink of water. She then finally sighed a breath of welcome relief, while looking over at the Tar Pits, mesmerized by their sinister yet vaguely beautiful appearance...
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Un67. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Acidic*

Post by Acidic* »

((Madelyn Conner continued from Breathless))

The smell of the tar pits did nothing but cause Madelyn's appetite to be killed off as another casualty of the game. She took a drink of her water and looked from Jake to Marion.

"I'm okay. I'll keep watch while y'all eat." She said leaning on the oar. She had been using it as a walking stick since they left the cabin. After they stopped running, at least.

She scanned pools of tar. Her aunt was always talking about cosmetic shit, and tar pools popped up only a few times. Something about exfoliating the pores, but Madelyn's body wash already did that. And that smelt so much better.

Strawberries to be specific.

Madelyn put her pack on the ground to give her back a break.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Acidic. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Namira

Post by Namira »

A voice echoes -very quietly- from the collar of Marion

"This isn't sustainable. This loose... 'alliance'... it's not going to work. Keep that in mind. Wait for your moment. It'll come."
Acidic*

Post by Acidic* »

((Sorry to skip, but Madelyn has another commitment to get to))

As she kept watch Madelyn thought she heard something, but after looking from Jake to Marion she shrugged it off. An odd curiosity took over from the boredom and she poked and stirred one of the pools with the end of the oar. Nobody was coming, talking, or really anything.

While she was thinking of an excuse to get out for awhile her bladder grew heavy, and she had one. Not even looking at them she said,

"Gotta go to the girls room. I'll be right back."

She picked up her bag as she walked to a small bathroom area she recalled seeing on their way here.

((Madelyn Conner continued in Columbines in My Eye))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Acidic. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

(Hey, skipping over Slayer because Mikaela hasn't entered the thread yet so it's technically allowed, and I don't want everyone in this thread to go idle, including Madelyn.)

Jake whistled lightly as he waited for Madelyn to get back from the bathrooms. Was she taking too long? He never knew with girls, but his heart pounded with a sort of nervous wondering. Should he get nervous? It was this game...people were dead now and should he have gone with her?

He probably would never forgive himself if she had gone and gotten herself killed somewhere.

He looked over at Marion, who had actually said one of his ideas was good. He grinned at her. Marion was actually being a terrific sport about everything.

"Hey, Marion...thanks. You've been great about everything. I know we didn't know each other very well before all of this, but hey, look at us now."

We gave a sort of half hearted gesture around the tar-pits. "Friends till the end?"

It was a pathetic joke, and probably in poor taste, but it was the best he had.

Was Madelyn taking too long now? He frowned. Should he go look for her?
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Un67*

Post by Un67* »

As Marion sat down to eat, her a very, very quiet voice rang out from seemingly nowhere, suggesting that her alliance was 'unsustainable' and that she would have a 'moment'. At first, she thought that she was completely losing her mind, but she quickly realized that the sound was coming from her collar and it was her mentor. Then, after her confusion cleared away, a new emotion came in to fill the void.

Disgust.

It appeared that her mentor, whoever he/she/it was, was suggesting for her to backstab her own team mates. While Marion did want to get out, she did not want at all to to resort to such underhanded tactics to get out. She still didn't even completely make up her mind about playing, since already she found herself with several other (hopefully) nonplayers. She stil tried to keep a normal face, though, by just eating as she thought, she didn't want the others to think that something was up (and most likely they did hear something).

Anyways, she noticed Mad suddenly leave, and she simply said that she had to go. Marion didn't really mind, she had to do what she had to do and if she didn't lose her sense of decency in the process of doing it, it was all fine with her. The idea of going to 'the outdoor toilet' in the bushes was not exactly one that appealed to Marion's sensibilities, although of course she would if she absolutely had to.

Then, all of a sudden, Jake looked over at her and grinned, to which Marion blinked slightly, if not very noticeably. Jake then thanked her for being good about the whole thing, and then gave an odd gesture around the pit and asked her if they were friends to the end. For a moment, Marion thought of her mentor and how he/she/it wanted her to do something against her allies, but she knew she couldn't. So, she simply decided to say, if somewhat hesitantly, "Yeah, of course. Friends to the end."

Jake then looked around and frowned. It was a sudden change of expression, and Marion could only guess what it was, which she thought was most likely worried, probably about Mad. If she had a boyfriend and he just left suddenly on a highly dangerous island to go to the restroom, she would have been worried too. So, she decided to say to him as sympathetically as possible, "Worried about Mad? It's not my business, but if you want to go out to try and find her, I wouldn't mind..."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Un67. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Slayer*

Post by Slayer* »

(Mikaela's technically been here the whole time because Jake's first post GMed her in, but continued from the same place as everyone else. Lazy post is lazy, blah.)

Mikaela had been sat in the grass, and actually had dozed off. The sudden panic and running for their lives, plus the resulting adrenaline crash when they got to safety and the fact she'd not had any sleep motivated her to try closing her eyes for a moment when they were all there. Why not? Just relax under the sun, with her friends around, and take a moment to get some energy back.

Unfortunately, she'd underestimated fatigue, and after a few moments a quick power nap turned into full-on dozing. She looked comfortable, her chest steadily rising and falling, but probably wouldn't be too hard to wake up if needed. She was mumbling... something to herself in her sleep.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Slayer.
Acidic*

Post by Acidic* »

((Madelyn Conner continued from Columbines in My Eyes))

Bruises formed and grass grew.

As Madelyn walked back to where she left Jake and co. Finally able to breath with less and less pain, and all that left was a soft ache as a reminder of the fight. To be honest it was a good fight, but why didn't Madelyn grab the gun?

Maybe she wasn't willing to go that far, or shooting him was too easy.

But the truth was that Madelyn wasn't the monster this game needed.

Yet, if ever.

Madelyn stopped to get some Aspirin out of her bag to take. Her body needed the illusion of being in less pain. If she were still at Texas she'd have time to hide the bruises with make-up. She hated wearing it, the way it felt on her face, but the wrath of her parents was worth avoiding. Her father was okay being a big defender of self defense, but her mother was (as Madelyn classified) overly pacifistic.

Not to say Madelyn didn't respect her mother, but they differed on the issue enough that it created more than enough shouting matches in their house.

The group was in sight, and she gave a more cheerful than appropriate wave to them. Adrenaline from the fight still in her veins with ice water.

"Well, that was one of the most interesting trips to the girl's room I've had."

((Sorry, made some edits. Especially with the dialogue. I know I only changed it a little, but I like it much better. Sorry if I screwed something up))
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Marion was saying something about going to look for Madelyn just as she arrived, and tension in his chest relaxed. He hadn't really wanted to admit that he was worried about her.

Until he saw the bruises on her face. His face crumpled for a moment before he managed to regain his composure. Dating a girl who fought was always something that he had to get used to, and he had...

But not here. He wanted to grab his gun and find whoever had hurt her and finish it. That wasn't Jake's way though, and that wasn't what Madelyn would ever want him to do. Instead he watched her wave at him and comment about how interesting the trip the the girls room was.

He wanted to wake Mikaela up, rally the troops and go on some sort of manhunt for justice. The thought also made his stomach turn a little. What was wrong with him? Surrounded by girls he NOW suddenly decides  to become some sort of caveman warrior? Me Jake. Me fight for my womens. The thought was incredibly laughable. He was the weepy sensitive type.

And that would probably get him killed here.

He gritted his mouth into a thin line and walked over to Madelyn to assess the damage. "Did you at least get a few good shots in?" He asked, grimly trying to keep things light.
Un67*

Post by Un67* »

As Marion talked about how she didn't mind if Jake went out to look for Mad, she walked right back to the group, and with a wave at that. Marion didn't pay too much attention at first, but then she noticed that she was clearly bruised from a fight. Mad then commented that it was one of the most interesting bathroom trips she made, and Marion couldn't help but think to herself that at least Mad had a good sense of humor about the whole thing.

Jake then went forward to her and grimly asked her if she got a few shots in. It didn't really seem very characteristic of him, but then again, Marion barely knew Jake at all. She then simply said one thing, smiling a tiny bit as if it was a joke but being completely serious, "I think we may need to use the buddy system the next time we go to the restroom."
Slayer*

Post by Slayer* »

"Did you at least get a few good shots in?"

"Did you get a few good shots in?"

"...get a few good shots in?"

"...a few good shots..."

"...good shots..."

"...shots..."

"Someone's been shot?!"

Mikaela shot into a sitting position as Marion was still talking, woken up abruptly by the words. She suspected her handler was trying a half-arsed way to keep her relevant to the thread. Bloody hack. A frantic look round revealed all the group gathered round, and none of them shot. Good news.

...But Maddy looked to've run into a good spot of trouble. She was cut and bruised up all over. Not so good. Okay, yes, maybe she'd been a little jealous about the whole Jake thing when it first happened, but so what? Maddy was still her friend, one of the people who'd been nice to her when she first got to SDA, and right now she needed help.

"Do I want to know what the other guy looks like?" She chuckled sheepishly, hoping to lighten the mood. Maybe for a little bit they could forget they were on a death island. It'd be just like those times she'd patched the taller woman up after fights that went badly; you didn't fight as often as Maddy used to without losing now and then, after all. For just a bit longer, Mikaela could actually be in control of her own fate.

Luckily, a bit of rummaging produced a fully-stocked first aid kit in her daypack. At least they cared enough to make some semblance of proper health care possible, the sick bastards. She dug it out and moved over to her friend, sitting down in front of her and checking her over to see where the worst of it was, and if there was anything else she needed to keep an eye on.

"You haven't been unconscious for any period of time, have you? Any dizziness, confusion, loss of memory?" Mikaela checked Maddy's pupils as she talked, doing a few quick concussion tests before she could see to the bruises and cuts. Better safe than sorry.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Slayer.
Acidic*

Post by Acidic* »

Jake was never a fan of Madelyn fighting. Especially since they started dating, and Madelyn didn't blame him. It was natural. It was also why a lot of her other relationships ended. Madelyn would fight someone, current boyfriend at the time would get pissed, and would either try and stop her from fighting or make an example of the guy she fought with. Jake, on the other hand, accepted it. Well, tolerated was the right action.

She nodded when he ask if she got a few shots in, and said,

"If I didn't I wouldn't be here." She followed with a kiss as Mikaela woke up asking if someone had been shot. Madelyn resisted a sarcastic remark giving that Mikaela had been asleep. However when Mikaela saw Madelyn it was doctor time.

Most girlfriends (the not-lesbian kind) went to the bathroom to fix their make up, but not Mikaela and Madelyn. They went to the bathroom to fix up Madelyn after fight. Mikaela would sit there and patch up the angry young girl as she ranted and raved about the fight or what an asshole the guy was. Depended on how the fight went.

Marion said something about using a buddy system next time, and Madelyn muttered,

"Yeah. That would've been the smart thing to do." Ashamed that she let herself be such a target even when she watched the show so much.

Mikaela went on to ask some questions and Madelyn answered,

"No. I feel fine, doctor." Smiling at the use of the nickname Madelyn gave her during the first time Mikaela helped her out. "Thanks."

As Mikaela went on to do her thing Madelyn decided to bring up their agenda before they had to leave the cabin,

"We never got around to making a plan, did we?" It probably would've been better to wait until Mikaela finished, but it should be brought up.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

"We didn't," Jake said softly. His brain was a warring torrent of emotions right now, so he looked off into the distance, staring at the tar pits. He twisted Bob Lazenby's hat in his hands. Don't worry, dude, I didn't forget.

He wanted to ask Madelyn if she knew her attacker, he wanted to find said attacker and beat their face in until his knuckles were bloody. He had never thought this way before, not about her other fighting, but this wasn't just regular fighting. This was far more serious than that. He had a brief flash of himself unloading his gun into some unknown person's face.

It was rather unlike him. He hated blood or gore of any kind, what was the deal.

He'd much rather occupy himself with the fact that he always liked the fact that his two girls got along so well, it had never gotten strange between the two of them...as far as he knew. Briefly, he allowed himself to have a sweet fantasy where Mikaela played nurse for Madelyn.

Totally hot.

But Mad was right, they hadn't come up with a plan.

"Well, now's a good enough time to talk about it as any."
Un67*

Post by Un67* »

After Marion mentioned using the buddy system to Mad, she then muttered to her that it might have been the smart thing to do. Marion looked on as Mikaela began to go doctor on Mad and ask her in great detail about how she was after getting hit, to which Mad only replied that she was fine. She couldn't help but giggle a bit at it, as although the fact that someone had just gotten injured was not funny at all for reasons obvious enough, it was still a bit funny to see Mikaela questioning her like that.

Then, Mad mentioned that they never quite made up their plan, and then Jake simply assented and said it was as good of a time as many. Marion wasn't sure at all what the plan should have been herself, as there really wasn't much that they could do. Stay at the Tar Pits? Possible, but not necessarily a good idea. Wander around the island? Would probably get them killed if anything. So, in reply, she simply shrugged, and said, "There's not exactly a best choice for making a plan, since in our situation, each is pretty much as good as the other."

Return to “The Tar Pits”