Time To Pretend

Done: Day 3.

The most frequently traveled beach, if only for its proximity to the only real civilization on the island. The students who spend their time here will find a few abandoned food and merchandise vendors strewn about, and the occasional litter and seaweed washed up on the shores.
zabriel*

Post by zabriel* »

((Sorry, I don't have net access in my dorm yet. The tech guy is taking forever.))

Michael nodded. "We weren't exactly friends, but I had hoped we could have been. I'd...like to help."

There wasn't really a reason to do this. In fact from a practical standpoint it was actually a waste of time and energy to actually bury the girl. If they really wanted to, they could position the body somewhere to frighten off anybody who might want to start something. But that wasn't on his mind just then.

"If...if we could get ahold of a collar, maybe I could have a look at it. I might be able to figure out how they work. The bomb would probably blow if we just pried it off, and that wouldn't be as useful as an unblown one..."

An idea flashed in his head. It was a stroke of brilliance, but it was also kind of revolting.

"I have an idea, but I don't know if I can stand the thought of doing that to Ali. Let's bury her, and then I can...I can go get Panya's."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler zabriel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

Mae could have kissed him right then and there, if she wasn't so sure that it would make someone attack him.

"That...that is a really good idea, Michael," Mae said, not even bothering to hide how impressed she was. "If we can look at an unexploded collar maybe we can figure out something wrong with it...that's...wow."

She looked over at Ali, and knew in her heart that it was an utterly ridiculous idea to bury her at the moment.

"I think Ali can wait. I think she would want us to do this. I'm...maybe we could cover her with towels. Why don't I..."

She thought for a moment, about Michael retching all over the dead and stabbed body of Panya, when the blood got in his mouth a little bit. She frowned a little at his relatively weak stomach and came up with her own plan...

"Why don't I do it? If you can do me a favor and cover Ali with a couple of towels or something, I can use my sword here and get Panya's collar in two shakes of a lamb's tail."

She smiled encouragingly, hoping that she didn't sound like some sort of a crazy person. "I mean, I sort of helped get her in that state anyway, it doesn't make me feel squeamish and...well," she didn't want to say it, but she just didn't want the idea of him decapitating anyone to make him throw up again.

She put the plastic shovels down and picked up her katana. Unsheathing it, she stared down at the newly rubbed off and yet still slightly bloodied blade.

Time to get bloodied again, sword.

"I'll be right back!" She said, brimming with false brightness.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

Oh... Damn, that was a good idea.

If he was honest, he hadn't even thought of escaping. Why hadn't he thought of escaping? Why hadn't he thought to check the collars of anyone else? He knew these kinds of things. He knew that you could escape. He knew that there were usually a few flaws in the collars, because, well, escapes were kind of awesome. So, why hadn't he suggested this? Why wasn't he thinking?

He looked down at the floor for a moment. He could help. He didn't know what he could do, but usually collar defusions took two people. She'd just need an extra pair of hands, and he could provide them.

"I'll help" he said, getting up again. He turned to Michael "Towels are in there, I think" He said, pointing to the room where they'd taken their blankets from the first night.

He turned back and followed Mae towards the body.
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

A voice echoes very quietly from Zach's collar...

"You were doing so well. Play along if you must, but be ready to do what needs doing when the time comes. You they will be."
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
MurderWeasel
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by MurderWeasel »

A voice also echoes quietly from Mae's collar...

"Take a bet if you want, but remember to keep an ace in the hole. Never go all-in on something like this, or you'll end up dead. You know you can do what needs to be done to survive. You don't know that you can escape. Play the odds that favor you, not the ones that look nicer, and you'll be much more likely to turn up a win."
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

(Because Zab is going to be without internet for a bit, FrozeySmoke and I are going to behead some people.)

Mae frowned slightly as she listened to some weird jargon issue quietly from her collar. She didn't understand what the hell her mentor was saying, talking with his ridiculous gambling words, why couldn't he just say what he meant? It was utterly ridiculous.

But she had a feeling that he wasn't that pleased with the whole beheading a corpse in order to study the collars thing. Why should he be? She ignored the strange words spoken to her and walked with Zach over to where they had placed Panya.

"The body isn't pretty," she said to him. "She got blasted AND stabbed and sort of...thrown up on."

She said it sort of matter of factly, like it was nothing special, but with an apologetic edge as though she were sorry that the living room were a mess. These things, they happened. Her hand was steady on her katana, she couldn't believe that she was actually going to do this. She couldn't believe that she was okay with it.

"I hope that one fell swoop will do it."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler peregrineink. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

He was folowing Mae, when the collar lady decided to speak once more.

"You were doing so well. Play along if you must, but be ready to do what needs doing when the time comes. You they will be."

"I was doing so well..." He echoed quietly for a moment, reflecting as the words sunk in. He stopped for a moment to contemplate them, when suddenly the last four words jarred into existence.

"Wait, "You they will be"? What the fuck does that even mean? And, dear god, grammar, Collar Lady, that actually hurt my mind" He said exasperatedly, gesturing a little. "And, hell, I don't even know your name! Why am I taking orders from you?!"

He waited for a moment, almost expecting a reply, but the deafening silence made it clear that one wasn’t coming in the foreseeable future.

Mae's words, thankfully, broke the silence, and the desire to rant that had built up around him

"The body isn't pretty,"

"I've seen a lot of bodies" He replied casually.

"She got blasted AND stabbed and sort of...thrown up on." She continued, simmilarily casually. "I hope that one fell swoop will do it."

"I doubt it." He said, matter of factly "There are records of it taking over 10 swings with a sword to decapitate prisoners of war in the middle ages"
Cake

Post by Cake »

[[GLD4: Shawn Morrison Continued From: Metanoia.]]

Shawn kept moving away from the hotel, up the resort beach at a steady pace. He didn't really have much time to sit and think about the actions from just moments ago from the hotel. What was important now, was getting back to the shack with the rest of his team making sure they were fine.

There would be many questions. Both from him and to him. Alicia and Mae had killed a girl and his own kill had been announced as well. The way the announcer made it sound, didn't make it seem the least bit innocent either. Then there was the question if Ben made his way back here too.

He had made it to the familiar building from yesterday and spotted three people. Three was good. Alicia, Ben and Mae.

But there was something wrong.

There was a boy there, he had a gun and he wasn't Ben-o. Shawn froze.

He didn't think anyone saw him yet. His heart rate, instead of speeding up as one would think, felt like it slowed down in pace, instead. His breaths were equally slow and stilted, but heavy as if he had resurfaced from underwater.

The boy was unfamiliar and dark skinned, most likely from Detroit. It was a bad sign, as over the course of the game, aside from Alicia, Shawn became very wary of all students from Detroit. After all their hostilities, he just did not trust any of them.

Where were the rest of his team mates anyway? Shawn's heart nearly sank when he realized what that meant when there was a Detroit boy with a gun and none of his team mates in sight. The thought was backed up even further when he saw the familiar rainbow hair, of...

Alicia White. On the ground. Covered in blood.

Shawn's voice croaked out from his throat in a quiet shocked gasp. Alicia was actually dead. She had a powerful shot gun, but still she was there, on the ground dead like that didn't even matter. What did it mean for Mae, who had a katana, which was less effective as a pump action shot gun? And oh god, what about Ben? If he wandered back here as they'd planned, then that meant he had just walked to his certain doom.

Wait. Shawn turned his attention a little to the left, closer to the side of the building.

Mae! She was safe and alive! But there was someone else, standing right next to her.

"Zach?" It was too quiet for anyone else to hear but himself. It was mostly a question to himself anyway. What in the world was Zach doing back here? Shawn pondered, but then he realized the answer was perfectly obvious.

Another thing Shawn observed at this point, was that Mae had Alicia's pump action shot gun in her possession. She was standing there casually as well, like nothing important happened. Like the fact her Gold Team Mate, dying didn't matter. Both she and Zach had their attention to the ground in front of them and Shawn moved a little for a better position to see for himself.

A dead body. Covered in blood and sand and something else. What shocked Shawn even more, was that Mae had her - bloody - katana in hand over the girl's dead body. It was raised and positioned above the girl's neck and - and Shawn didn't think he had it in him, to bare and watch what was about to happen. But still he stood there.

The puzzle started to piece together in Shawn's mind. According to the announcements, Zach had gone on a killing spree. Yet here Mae was, not bothered in the slightest about his presence after everything that happened. In fact it seemed like she had even teamed up with Zach and that Detroit boy, who Shawn assumed, killed Alicia. Now there was Mae going to decapitate a girl in front of him. Shawn didn't want to believe it, that there had to be some sort of explanation for everything he was seeing, but even he knew that to think otherwise, would just be stupid of him.

They were playing.

Shawn stood there, quiet, eyes wide, staring in shock. All until he saw them take notice of his presence. He looked straight into Mae's eyes and then swiftly looked away once he realized what he was doing. The Detroit boy, Zach, and Mae. They weren't safe.

The young man, didn't care if they were pointing weapons at him or if they might've said something to him. He wasn't paying attention.

All he could think about was getting away from this place. He turned around and sprinted off in the direction he came from.

Never stopping once and never looking back.

[[GLD4: Shawn Morrison Continued To: Pieces of What?]]
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

It happened so fast that she didn't realize what was happening until it had already happened. Panya's hair was in her hands and she was going to go for it maybe like a saw,  and then things would be fine and they could see the flaws in the collar design and even though this was the worst thing she could do, even though she wanted to scream and do a lot of horrible things like yell at Zach, or bury Ali, or a lot of conflicting things at the moment, at least maybe this little bit of horrible could do a little bit of good.

She looked up for a second...

and met a pair of familiar aqua blue eyes.

She felt that jolt in her gut again, a jolt of happiness, of hope, Shawn was back and he was going to help her and God she felt so much better knowing that Shawn was coming back and she had so many questions for him how did he have to take that life she had to explain everything...

And then his expression turned to one of terror, one of revulsion.

"Shawn," she breathed, she whispered. She dropped her sword, not caring about this stupid endeavor and ran for him.

"Shawn! No! It's not what it looks like! Shawn!"

She felt wetness start to gather in the corner of her eyes.

For the first time in the game, Mae St. Clair was crying, and she wasn't even aware of it. Instead she abandoned her weapons and followed him.

Ali throwing herself into Brennan's arms. Mae had thoughts of him, she knew she had. He could have gone far...they had to talk...

(Mae St. Clair continued in Gather ye rosebuds while ye Mae)
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

He watched as Mae placed the blade as if to saw off Panya's head. That might work, even though they hadn't got anything with a serrated edge, it'd probably be better than just hacking at it, which'd be really fucking disturbing. But, then she froze. Was she having second thoughts? Was she going into shock over it? Was she just plain terrified?

He looked up, and saw her looking away from the body, and at a rather fammiliar shape. Shawn. He'd been wondering when he'd turn up. He'd probably be overjoyed at the possibility of escape.

He mumbled something, and his expression change to that of somewhere between horror and disgust. And then he was running.

What th-

"Shawn," Mae said, her voice barely above a whisper. Shawn kept running. "Shawn! No! It's not what it looks like! Shawn!" She shouted, tears on her face. She was running after him.

Oh, no, he wasn't letting her go on her own. He looked down, sheathing his sword, when more metal caught his eyes. The shotgun, the katana, lay abbandoned. She was going unarmed. Oh, Fuck no.

He grabbed the katana and stuck it in alongside the Oriental sword type thing and picked up the the shotgun in both hands. He had to keep them safe for her atleast.

Then, he ran after them. Trying to catch up.

(( Zachariah Johnston continued in Gather ye rosebuds while ye Mae ))
zabriel*

Post by zabriel* »

He had thought to protest her concern for his stomach, blaming the possibly ingested blood for the second bout of sickness. But instead he set about to preparing the body of his short lived companion for burial, or at least concealment. He didn't get all that far along before he saw a white boy moving around, looking a little spooked. It had to look kind of awful to anybody passing through. Maybe it would have looked better if Mae had stayed. After all, they had been teammates.

He wasn't sure the boy had noticed him noticing him, but he moved on quickly, and before Michael knew it, the boy was running away full-tilt with Mae crying after him. As he moved closer he noticed the other boy following with all the weapons. He sighed a little, not knowing exactly what was going on, or how he was  possibly going to remove Panya's head now. He thought back to his own bladed weapons. The butter knife was right out. He'd be there until the end of time. He considered the chef's knife. It was still pretty sharp, and in fact made for chopping through meat, which was what the human body was made of after all. That being said, it was small and made for cuts of meat, and not so much the cutting of it from a carcass. Proper execution blades sometimes took a few swings, and hadn't Sir Nicholas de Mimsy Porpington been struck a full 45 times with an axe before the executioner gave up, leaving half an inch of sinew?

Yeah that's not going to work...

He considered chasing them down as well, but he knew that Mae at least would want to come back for her bag. He decided it was best that he continue to prepare Alicia for the closest she'd get to a proper send off on the island. He clicked the safety on his gun, tucked it into his pants, and went inside the shack to collect as many towels as he could carry.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler zabriel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

(( Zachariah Johnston continued from Gather ye rosebuds while ye Mae ))

The walk back felt a lot longer than the run there. Longer than it had any right to be. He wanted it just to end, so that they could take a look at the collar, and then go to sleep. His stomach rumbled, making itself known. He should eat to. He didn't want to get malnourished or anything disgusting like that. He'd seen images of people with scurvy and rickets in science, and it was just disgusting.

Eventually, they arrived back at the fammiliar shack, where Michael was milling about, looking a little spooked. He couldn't say he blamed him. Covering up a body can do that. He was about to try and talk to him, and take his mind off of it, but then he realised that they didn't know one another. Shit, they hadn't even been introduced. He had to change that.

He walked up to him, making sure he could see him so he wouldn't be startled, and held out his hand, as if expecting a handshake.

"Hey, Michael, right? It's nice to meet you. I'm Zach"
peregrineink*

Post by peregrineink* »

(Mae St. Clair continued from Gather ye rosebuds while ye Mae)

Mae nodded at Michael.

"I'm sorry that I ran off like that. That was Shawn he was my-"

Well. That was a question.

"We seemed to have had a misunderstanding."

She looked down at her blood gummed hands as Zach introduced himself. "I'm going to go finish what I've started, Panya's head is nearly off. You two talk. I will be back in two minutes."

She wanted sort of be alone. Or not. Or anything. She wanted something good to come of this and she didn't want to feel like a butcher. Panya's body still lay there, awkwardly crumpled where Mae dropped it in mid-saw. She could only imagine what she looked like as she placed the shotgun down and unsheathed her katana. This was just meat. Only meat. Not a person. They didn't have dreams. There was only a collar.

She grabbed the hair.

She pulled the sawed at neck back.

And she continued what she was doing....

Bile rose in her throat as she went through the spine, but she kept going, she wasn't going to throw up, she was going to be sick on this body again. As annoying as Mae had thought Panya was in life, she was certainly going to at least attempt to give her some respect in death, even if she were sawing off her had currently. It was the least she could do.

When the head came off, she hesitated at the next part.

She cleared her throat.

"Hey. Mentor. If...you can hear me. This thing isn't going to go off if I take it off like this....is it?"
zabriel*

Post by zabriel* »

He nodded at the boy, and then hesitantly shook Zach's outstretched hand.

"I know that the thing with...with Ali was a...misunderstanding?" Michael questioned whether that was the right word to use, but he continued on. "None of us want to play this game, and things can look kinda bad. I'm sure it must have looked terrible, and that girl was a bit off, but back where we come from, you know who the bad kids are. I don't think she would have hurt anybody if she thought she could help it. But...I don't blame you for it. You did what you thought was best..."

He looked at the gun in his hand and thought about the situation he was in. "I have a plan. I don't know if it's gonna work, or if I really can get us out of here, but I'm going to try my damndest. I'm not gonna tell you not to kill anybody, and as much as I hate to say it, I might end up having to use this thing. But while we're here, and until fate forces our hands, I am asking you to trust me. If we can do this, there's a chance that we might be able to go home together."

He thought for a moment. "I feel bad letting her do that. I was going to ask to borrow her...tool...and I would have done it myself. I guess she was worried I might throw up again. I was right under Panya when...when she died. My mouth was open and I think I had swallowed some...stuff. It's probably a good thing though. Blood can make you really sick, and the...yeah..." That was probably more than he wanted to hear about anything. He changed topics. "So...you all are...friends? You and...Shawn. And Mae..."

Jesus you can babble...

He knew she'd only been gone for a few moments, but in that instant, it felt like forever. Maybe the beach was just getting to him. There had been a lot of insanity in only a few hours. Maybe it was best that they took their things and moved on.

I just want to go somewhere where nobody has died.
Frozen Smoke

Post by Frozen Smoke »

"I know that the thing with...with Ali was a...misunderstanding?" What? No, it was the right thing to do, he knew what was happening. And, well, he'd done what he had to to stop it.

"None of us want to play this game, and things can look kinda bad. I'm sure it must have looked terrible, and that girl was a bit off, but back where we come from, you know who the bad kids are. I don't think she would have hurt anybody if she thought she could help it. But...I don't blame you for it. You did what you thought was best..."

Well, fine. If thats how he wanted to think of it, then that was just A-Ok with him. If he didn't want to remember his friend as a crazy person that tried to kill Mae, then that was fine. It made a lot of sense. He was just rationalising everything, trying to reason with himself that he couldn't have spent his life with someone who could kill someone else in cold blood.

"I feel bad letting her do that. I was going to ask to borrow her...tool...and I would have done it myself. I guess she was worried I might throw up again. I was right under Panya when...when she died. My mouth was open and I think I had swallowed some...stuff. It's probably a good thing though. Blood can make you really sick, and the...yeah..."

Okay, so, apparently the death of Panya was filled with a hell of a lot more violence than the announement had alluded to.

"I understand man, bodies and gore and stuff is just... Icky" He said

"So...you all are...friends? You and...Shawn. And Mae..."

"Yea-" He started to respond, but, then he remembered the look on Shawns face, the tears on Mae's, the Rainforest, the blood, the emotions, and he stopped. He was sure he could see the turmoil on his face, so he tried to cover it by feigning a cough. He wasn't very good at faking coughs.

Then, quietly, he answered as truthfully as he could. "I just don't know anymore"

Return to “The Resort Beach”