Technical Difficulties

Multishot

Before the events of SOTF: Cyber, the students of Sycamore High School were just ordinary kids with ordinary lives—these are the stories of their lives before they found their tragic fates at the hands of the terrorists.

Characters may be present in one sandbox (present) or memory (past) thread at a time, in addition to supplemental oneshots or multishots.

Moderator: SOTF: Cyber Staff

Ahab9

Technical Difficulties

Post by Ahab9 »

Sent at: 15.59 PM
Bot#079
Thank you for choosing our technical support.
How can we help you today?
Sent at: 16.10 PM
Amy#0451
Hi,
Ever since I updated my CRD it keeps getting stuck at the booting. I tried auxiliary mode to solve the issue and I keep receiving this error: 3901x10
I never had it before and I wanted to know if it can be solved?
I'm attaching the booting below. Thank you in advance!
[+] Sent at 16.11 PM
>>>>>Auxiliary Mode Active, BOOTING...
>>WEAVE OS Ver.1.3 Release 2.1, Copyright 2010-2023, all rights reserved, LOADING...

>>>ACCESSING PRIMARY HARDWARE...
>CPU WRD Octacore, 1 TB RAM FOUND!
>GPU WRD Octacore, Dedicated 32 GB RAM FOUND!
>SSD 24 TB FOUND!
>Gyroscope System Ver. 1.0 FOUND!
>Dynamic Audio System Ver. 1.0 FOUND!
>Haptic System Ver. 0.9 FOUND!
>Visor System Ver. 1.3 FOUND!
>Misc System Ver. 1.0 FOUND!
>>>PRIMARY HARDWARE SUCCESSFULLY LOADED!

>>SCANNING FOR SECONDARY SOFTWARE/SECONDARY HARDWARE...
>SECONDARY SOFTWARE Perfrmnc Enchnchr XXXL EXXXTREME FOUND!
>SECONDARY SOFTWARE Avatar Editor Ver. 1.1 FOUND!
>SECONDARY SOFTWARE HUD Editor Ver. 1.0 FOUND!
>SECONDARY SOFTWARE Music Editor Ver. 0.8 FOUND!
>SECONDARY HARDWARE MeD Vision Filter FOUND!

>>SECONDARY SOFTWARE/SECONDARY HARDWARE LOADING FAILED!
>FAILED TO LOAD 17927592857.exe!
>FAILED TO LOAD EXXXTREME.exxxe!
>FAILED TO LOAD MeD Filter.exe!
>>>SYSTEM RESTORE, PLEASE WAIT...

>>>SYSTEM FAILED TO LOAD SECONDARY SOFTWARE/SECONDARY HARDWARE!
>>YOU HAVE INCURRED IN ERROR: 3901x10
>>>>>DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE WITHOUT SECONDARY SOFTWARE/SECONDARY HARDWARE?
Y/N
Sent at: 1.59 AM
Bot#078
Hello, Amy#0451
Your question has been sent and is being processed!
You'll soon receive an answer from our staff! Do you wish to leave a review?
Sent at: 2.01 AM
Amy#0451
MESSAGE DELETED
[+] Flagged Message
Sent at 2.01 AM
#CRD Support
Amy#0451,
This message violates the rule of no harsh language on our servers, as 'for fuck's sake, it's 2AM' may be considered offensive to some people.
Sent at: 2.02 AM
Amy#0451
My tired ass certainly was.
どこにいたって、人は繋がっているのよ

SOTF Cyber: Amalia 'Amy' Cassady
Ahab9

Post by Ahab9 »

Sent at 19.02 PM
J_Johnson (Verified ✓)
Hello, Amy#0451
We have just finished looking at your problem and we can't help but notice your modified systems. Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall them?
Sent at 19.06 PM
Amy#0451
Hi. It's the first thing I tried, but I can't take off the MeD Filter for medical reasons, and the editor programs never gave me problems until now.
Sent at 19.10 PM
J_Johnson (Verified ✓)
Hello, Amy#0451
And the Perfrmnc Enchnchr XXXL EXXXTREME?
Sent at 19.11 PM
Amy#0451
It's legit.
J_Johnson (Verified ✓) is typing...
Sent at 19.11 PM
Amy#0451
No, seriously, it's fine. I took it off and it still gives me the error.
Sent at 19.17 PM
J_Johnson (Verified ✓)
Hello, Amy#0451
Have you tried starting the Cyber Reality Device without Secondary Hardware?
Sent at 19.19 PM
Amy#0451
Oh, I did.

For a moment, when she closed her eyes, everything was fine. The sun was washing over her skin, leaving only her face covered by the shade of the lush tree she rested under. It was a pretty big grey pine, that for some reason pulled a large wooden middle finger to ecological distribution and grew right at the top of a small hill, as if to flaunt its existence to the world. A faint wind blew through its branches, moving them and letting some leaves (but looking more like thin needles) fall on her face. She'll blew them away and then keep resting.

She could imagine it all. She then opened her eyes and saw the checkered sky.

Well, not really. It actually was a mix of bright purple and black grainy squares, completely covering her vision everytime she looked up and changing erratically when she moved. Brightness aside (that compelled her to move around with one eye closed, like the shitty broke-ass version of a pirate), she was almost growing used to it. The errors, on the other hand, were getting worse each day.

She had been going on like this for a week, mostly doing screenshots and wandering blindly around the first server set on her CRD (a park recreation in Ohio, she doesn't really remember where). Right now, as she lay on the multitude of strings of numbers and letters and notifications completely covering the ground (and the objects and the people and her HUD), she had to admit to herself that she was almost growing used to it all.

Almost. She was definitely going to get help for this.
Sent at 19.22 PM
J_Johnson (Verified ✓)
Hello, Amy#0451,
Did it work?
Sent at 19.23 PM
Amy#0451
No. When I tried to enter an open server it couldn't load anything on it.
I have screenshots of it somewhere, I can send it later.
Sent at 19.27 PM
Amy#0451
I was thinking if it's possible to download the former version?
I still have the passwords and the receipts.
Sent at 19.27 PM
Amy#0451
I mean, I know I actually can't install it without a backup and then format everything.
Sent at 19.27 PM
Amy#0451
MESSAGE DELETED
[+] Flagged Message
Sent at 19.27 PM
#CRD Support
Amy#0451,
This message violates our server rule of no harsh language, as 'because the CRD market is run by raging assholes.' may be considered offensive to some people.
Sent at 19.29 PM
Amy#0451
Here it is, my favourite PC Capitalism henchman.
Sent at 19.31 PM
Amy#0451
Sorry, I'll stop ranting now.
Sent at 19.40 PM
J_Johnson (Verified ✓)
Hello, Amy#0451,
We can verify all your problems and consider your request.
Send your receipts and screenshots at the Technical support mailbox along with the current message. We'll soon contact you.
Sent at 19.55 PM
Amy#0451
Sent.
The last part was real ominous, though.
It sounds like I'm gonna be kidnapped by the man in black or something.
But that's not what's gonna happen, right?
Sent at 20.30 PM
J_Johnson (Verified ✓)
Hello, Amy#0451,
Our customers wellbeing is our first priority.
We'll reach you as soon as possible to tie up this loose end.
Sent at 20.30 PM
Amy#0451
Why you're saying it like that.
Sent at 20.30 PM
J_Johnson (Verified ✓)
Hello, Amy#0451,
Thank you for choosing our Support!
Sent at 20.30 PM
Amy#0451
どこにいたって、人は繋がっているのよ

Ahab9

Post by Ahab9 »

It took them two weeks to contact her again.

Not that she minded (much): most of the time, whenever she wasn't at school or attempting to have an heart attack (or an hernia or a broken leg), she was at her PC. It was a monolith, with multiple RAM boards and the most recent GPU available, all inside an opaque rectangle standing proudly just behind a large monitor. Cables run from behind it, ending below a reclining sofa with a currently malfunctioning CRD on it.

Two years' allowances went on all of it, but for her it was worth it.

She also needed that much power. Modding old games was actually done with relative ease as long as you have assets, coding skills and some technical know-how. CR games, on the other hand, were much more costly in terms of CPU and were harder to change. Not just because they became a minefield of legal issues if you try to made them realistic, but also because it was not easy to add realistic stuff without a six-digits budget, lots of time or real talent.

She wasn't rich, she liked having hobbies and she doesn't really have much talent. She was, like, a seven, seven-and-a-half.

So, she came with the next best options: 3D sprites, the one thing she was good and fast at doing. It worked surprisingly well for her, and now there were a small number of CR maps and graphical updates (but were more like downgrades) on her name. She even had fans now! They were less than a hundred, admittedly, but still more than she expected. With them also came expectations that she found eager to satisfy.

And so, as she was putting up the last fixes in her latest map, she received a message from who she was sure was a bot.
Sent at 20.00 PM
J_Johnson (Verified ✓)
Hello, Amy#0451,
We discussed about your situation with our staff.
We received multiple notifications like yours, and today we are proud to send you our newest patch, fixing all your issues.
You'll find the link below to download it.

Thank you for choosing our Support!

He was giving her all the robot feels. Still, as she received the patch and uploaded her CRD, she waited. LED lights came on and off for several seconds, and then it stopped, leaving a now green LED to the sign, signalling it was now functional. Her monitor showed the Interface logo before showing a bright message covering the screen.
UPDATE COMPLETE!
She was going back in.

(Amy Cassady continued elsewhere...)
どこにいたって、人は繋がっているのよ

Return to “Sandbox & Memories”