Moments In The Life Of Oldest Brother Foster

Memories that may be better off forgotten, though they never are. They never are.

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.

Moderator: SOTF Supers Staff

AnimeNerd
Team Affiliation: Claudia's Krakens

Moments In The Life Of Oldest Brother Foster

Post by AnimeNerd »

If anyone ever implied that Joel hated his family, he might’ve broken his unspoken rule about hurting someone without his gift.

He loved his brothers. He loved his sisters. He loved his parents. He loved his aunt. He loved his uncle. He loved his cousins. He loved them all.

He just wished Martin wouldn’t criticize him for his drinking when Joel could count the number of times he’d changed a diaper in the last year because of Tristan on one hand.

And he wished Fox would try to find some hobbies that weren’t dangerous or wouldn’t make a normal person vomit, because he was tired of finding the kid watching pimple popping videos.

And he sometimes wished Sasha could just let him be sometimes because she had so much natural energy and one conversation with her could be exhausting.

And he wished the twins could just be a little more different in personality because having to spend an hour to get one baby to sleep just for the other to start screaming made it easier to pop the cork off a bottle.

And he wished Dad would just hire a nanny or something because he wanted to be in his siblings’ lives but he was starting to fear that one of the twins first words would be calling Joel daddy.

And he wished Mom could be a little more observant when looking at bottles from the liquor cabinet because even if he was scared about getting found out, a part of him was even more scared he might never put a bottle down.

And he wished Aunt Eleanor could show that she cared more outside of family reunions or acted like she normally did during them, either make it seem like you cared 24/7 or don’t act fake during them, at least then he could know if he could be honest with her.

And he wished Uncle John would tell him to take a break or lay down more often instead of praising him for being a good brother and being so responsible; he knew he meant well but sometimes he just wanted to take a nap and let the adults look after the children.

And he wished Astrid and him could switch places, because even though he cared for his friends and life, he wanted to just not care about things, to feel apathy, to just do absolutely nothing outside the last Blockbuster on Earth, talking about Riverdale and whatever else came to mind.

And he wished Eddie would stop making fun of him being a short ass, he recognized it literally every day and people commented about it literally every day and he worked too hard in his life to be referred to as Tiny or Shrimpy by some asshole who he couldn’t remember being nice in the last-

…okay, maybe Joel needed to rethink his feelings about his family.
[+] The Living
Joel Foster is having a reunion while it's time to call the police
Megumi Eto is wishing she could GTFO
[+] The Dead
RJ Blackburn was axed a question in The Jarvis Method
Jasper Suárez-King was silenced in When Betting On High Card Pays Off
Jia Li Qiáo took a tumble off in Rouge Angles of Satin
[+] The Future
Colton "Colt" Smirnov is ready to aim and fire
Roselia Watson is trying to run away from it all
Titania Zabelle is going to show the world her talent
Maud Sparrow Jr. is already painting her own portrait
Aqua Elle is a literal spitfire when you think about it
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Joel never thought he could feel regret about supporting his brother and who he chose to love.

It wasn’t about Martin being in a relationship with a guy-he’s not a hypocrite after all-but more how said guy made Martin act.

Tristan Pittman seemed like a good person at first glance. Studious, well-behaved, and smart enough that he’d skipped a grade and become a junior at 15. Seemed like the perfect kind of guy to bring home and introduce to Mom and Dad. Sure the shark teeth looked a little freaky to look at, but as far as gifts went they weren’t a big deal. Joel half expected him to be a good influence on his brother.

But over time, the cracks started to form. Slowly but surely.

It started with Mom and Dad’s date night. It was a scheduled thing that happened every few months. Something to be prepared for, because it was usually then that things got wild. Fox would try more dangerous stunts, Sasha would try to do an at home and all by herself performance of a LÅMP song or two, and the twins would probably be a bit more fussy.

And it was somehow this night that Martin claimed to have a date of his own planned.

Apparently plans for that night had entirely slipped the oldest middle child’s mind until the night itself, at which point he was afraid to bail on Tristan.

Joel hated the position he was forced into at that point. Either he could make himself miserable and handle the four younger ones all on his own, or he would have to contend with Martin’s attitude and the possibility of him choosing not to help much, if at all, with the younger ones.

In the end he chose to bite the bullet. Joel endured an off-key and partially gibberish filled performance of Light Of Life, kept Fox from breaking his neck from jumping onto a tree from the roof, and sung what could’ve been fifty different lullabies to get Ace and Olive asleep. All on his own.

But what was supposed to be a one-time thing happened again. And again. And again, until Joel lost track of how many times he was on his own taking care of the four.

He wanted to confront Martin about it. Yell at him. Force him to stop going out so often. At least get him to help more in the mornings to relieve some of his own stress.

But he didn’t. Maybe he felt like he couldn’t, when the first pass Joel gave Martin was such an important night, and saying something at this point just felt too minor in his overthinking mind. Maybe the oldest child of the Foster family wanted the second oldest to not be like him, bitter and frustrated over so much of his childhood spent taking care of their siblings. Maybe he had even been planning to say something, but hadn’t expected to never come back from that potato farm.

But one thing was for sure. Martin could avoid caring for their siblings, but he couldn’t avoid caring for Joel.

Not unless he wanted both of them to get caught.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Why couldn’t it have been Mr. Meaty

Why couldn’t it have been that one that taught kids about gross things

Why couldn’t it have been that stupid fucking Disney show where both the main characters were euphemisms for dicks

But no. It wasn’t any of those.

It had to be that cartoon that Fox had to develop an interest in. The old one that regularly made Joel want to puke when glancing at it. The one that made him cringe every time he heard one of the characters speak about something vile or horrible. The one that, admittedly, had some good in it, even if he would never openly say it.

The one that had a known and confirmed pedo for a creator.

He didn’t want to have this kind of conversation. No one in their right mind would want to have a conversation like this. It’s a disgusting topic that would make both of them uncomfortable. And though Joel didn’t like it, Fox seemed to almost light up every time he watched the cartoon, and he knew his brother would feel awful liking it once he knew everything.

But he knew it would be worse if he said nothing. That he’d find out eventually, only a matter of time before he looked things up online. That people on the internet would tear into him if he said anything good about the show. And he would ask why Joel never told him, because he’d glared at the screen enough times that Joel couldn’t deny that he’d known, and it was just going to make him feel worse-

The short teen groaned, knowing he was overthinking again.

He just needed to tell him, because at least he can try and soften the blow for him.

Can’t wait to spend twenty bucks on Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Therapy.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

This thing is so fucking itchy.

At the age of three, Sasha had realized what her gift was and wanted to put it to good use. It should’ve been a good thing. They could save money on winter clothes when one child could provide wool to keep the whole family warm. The only problem?

Sasha wouldn’t let anyone use her wool but her. The most she’d let anyone do for touching it was letting someone shave it off, or let someone spin it into actual yarn. If anyone wanted it to actually be made into something, she had to be the one to do it, lest there be a tantrum.

The toddler being so territorial would’ve been cute, if not for the results of her work. While she was able to make some things like scarves and simple hats, they were pretty sloppy, and anything more than them would more than likely become a mess.

They all knew it wasn’t her fault. She was a three-year-old creating things for the first time, it would take years for her to really master the craft.

Still didn’t make the scarf around Joel’s neck less itchy.

He had wanted to say no, that he was fine with just his jacket, but Sasha had mastered one thing in her short time on Earth. Puppy dog eyes. She looks at him just the right way, and so long as it’s not something illegal, he’ll do practically whatever she asks.

Hopefully she’ll grow out of it, and he won’t have to worry about wearing something she wants him to wear for the rest of his life.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

”Stars and moons and air balloons,
Fluffy clouds to the horizon!~
I’ll wrap you in rainbows,
And rock you to sleep again.”

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. A cartoon that started in 2010 and ended in 2019. It was about ponies and their adventures with friendship and how it was magical or something. Joel didn’t know, he never watched the thing if he could help it. He practically felt blessed that neither Martin or Fox decided to become bronies and Sasha was more interested in the show about Australian dogs.

”Teddy bears of pink,
Ducks and lambs of white~
Don’t you cry dear, I’m here now,
I’ll be your nightlight.”

When the twins came along, he thought that things would stay the same. They were way too young to ever have interest in it, at most they could maybe watch that new version. He doubted even that would happen, though.

"Stars and moons and air balloons,
And rock you to sleep again."

There was a different problem instead. As it turned out, both the babies wanted to go to sleep hearing lullabies. And not just the normal lullabies, oh no. They wanted different lullabies. You could give them the same lullaby as a previous time once or twice, but any more than that? Hope you’re ready for a double trouble screaming fit.

"Smiles to cure the frowns,
Twirling and tumbling in laughter~
Someday life will always be
Happily ever after."

He didn’t know how they recognized things when they were still so young, but he didn’t bother questioning it. He just looked for lullabies. As many as he possibly could. He barely knew what he was doing when reading music notes, but if they satisfied the twins, he accepted it.

"Nevermore will the storms come
To destroy your little world.
Nevermore will the waters rise
‘Till the mountains no longer touch the skies!~”

And then the miracle happened. He’d been exhausted that night. Practically dead on his feet from an especially brutal training session. Every joint ached and he just wanted to lie face down in bed until he was out cold. When he’d sung a lullaby to the twins, he didn’t realize he’d already done it two other times.

"Stars and moons and air balloons,
And rock you to sleep again."

They hadn’t minded in the slightest. They were perfectly fine with it. So he tested it, singing it to them the next night. Same thing. Joel did it again. And again. And again. Each and every time, Olive and Ace were completely satisfied with the rainbow lullaby. It was so effective, he looked up where he found it again, genuinely considering thanking whoever posted it online.

"I’ll wrap you in rainbows, and rock you to sleep again."

Maybe the pony cartoon wasn’t so bad, if fans of it made things like this.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

“I like Toma.”

Silence, before a voice broke it.

“Wh…what?”

A deep breath.

“I…I like Toma.”

Building up courage.

“He’s nice, good looking, and maybe not the smartest, but charming in a way that makes me want to kiss him. If he held me it would probably turn into him using me like a bench press weight, and I would love it the whole time, even if I acted like I didn’t.”

“Joel, why are you-”

“I’m getting to that.”

In. Out. In. Out.

“I never said a word of it to him, though. Never wrote a love letter, not one compliment he could think was flirty, not even a drunken text message that made me look stupid. I could’ve said something, but I never, ever did.

“Do you wanna know why?”

Silence. The bobbing of a head.

“I was scared.

“Every time I thought about saying something, I thought about what could go wrong. What if he doesn’t like me like that? What if he didn’t like guys? What if he was against anything like that? He’s an amazing person, but what if he had a side I didn’t know about? What if everything that could go wrong does?

“Then, it happened.”

A sigh.

“…his name is Kaine, right?”

A bitter smile.

“Yeah. Kaine. He and Toma got together, and meanwhile I’m left single, all because I was too scared to say three little words.”

The wind batted at their hair, shifting it slightly.

“Don’t you ever feel…bitter? Or jealous?”

“Oh, of course. I’m upset. I wanna be Kaine. I wanna kiss Toma. I wanna do things that would make you tear your ears off to stop listening to me-”

“I can go back inside, you know.”

“The point being, yes, I’m jealous and bitter. But you know who I blame most about it? Not Toma for never dropping any hints that he liked guys, not Kaine for swooping in before I could get the courage to say something. I blame me for being too much of a wuss to say anything. If I did, maybe we could’ve been something, but because I didn’t, we’ll never know.”

The quiet came back, until.

“Why did you tell me all this, Joel?”

A deep breath in, then let it all out.

“For the love of God, Martin, please don’t end up like me. Just tell him that you like him. I promise it’ll be okay in the end.”

“Are you serious? Right in front of my salad?” Joel said, a smirk on his lips as his brother and his brother’s boyfriend kissed in front of him.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

“I can’t do it! I just can’t!”

A sob. Kneeling down.

“Hey-hey. Fox, look at me.”

The sobbing stopped. Sniffles continued.

“…watch this.”

The smallest of creaks from the floorboard as heels go over head.

“…wh…what?”

“That was the simplest gymnastic move I have ever learned. Do you want to know what happened the first time I tried it?”

“…what happened?”

“I fell on my face.”

“…well, that’s not so-”

“And I broke my nose.”

Silence. Staring.

“You…you broke your nose?”

“Yup. Blood gushed out of my nose and the gym had to throw out the mat I landed on. Felt like I could only smell blood for a week. Pretty sure I got a picture of it on the cloud somewhere.”

“…can I see it?”

A chuckle. The ruffling of hair.

“Later. You wanna know what my point is? It took years for something so simple to actually feel effortless. Rome wasn’t built in a day, you know. It’s silly to think you can be an instant master at something, don’t you think?”

A giggle. Hands wiping away tears.

“Yeah…”

A grin breaking out on his face.

“So, how about we get back to practicing?”

“The little ninja is at it again,” Joel said, the smallest of smiles on his face as he watched Fox do a wall flip after sliding down the banister.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Shave-and-a-haircut…two-bits!

No response.

“Sash? You okay?”

No reply.

“I’m coming. Start screaming if you want me to stop.”

The hinges creaked as he pushed the door open.

He could hear the attempts to muffle the sobs now.

There was a sudden thump as he sat next to her.

“…do you wanna talk about it?”

A shuddering breath, before shuffling.

[tiny]“She said I looked ugly.”[/untiny]

A mumble, really.

“Huh?”

“She…she said I looked ugly.”

A sharp intake. Breath cut short.

“…who’s the idiot?”

“Girl at daycare. Pink hair. Said my scarf was ugly. Pulled it off and said I was ugly too.”

“Hm.”

A pause.

“Wanna know what I think?”

“What?”

“I think,” he shifted, moving to hug the young girl. “That that girl was jealous. ”

The crying stopped, for a moment. She stared at him.

“I mean, think about it. Her pink hair looked natural, right?”

A look of thought, before she nodded.

“Yeah.”

“That means it’s probably her gift, right?”

“I guess so.”

“So you both have gifts with your hair.”

“O…kay?”

He laughed, just a little bit. “I know it sounds silly, just let me explain.”

That got a smile out of her, and she nodded.

“If that’s all her gift is, maybe she got jealous about your gift. Yours can do a lot, and hers can’t do much.”

“Isn’t-isn’t that a good thing?”

Oh, careful.

“Well, yes, but just because your gift is special doesn’t mean hers isn’t too. Because it means she’s the only person in the whole world who has natural pink hair.”

“The whole world?”

“The whole world.”

“Wow.”

It was silent for a moment.

“So what should I do?”

A breath in, then out.

“I think you should talk with her. See if you can settle things. Maybe be friends, but at least be nice to each other.”

And, after a moment- “And if that doesn’t work, tell the teacher. It’s her job to tell off little kids who do mean things just to be mean.”

“Well, it’s very nice to meet you, Sylvia.” Joel said, shaking the hand of the neon pink haired girl his little sister now called her bestest friend.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

“Olive, Ace, you are my baby sisters, and I hold you both close to my heart, but you are both slowly killing me, along with your other big brothers, and big sister.”

“Da!”

“Yup, that is how to agree with me in Russian Olive. So in a few days, I will be going on a field trip to a potato farm. It won’t reverse any damage, but it might take the edge off, just a little bit. In the meantime, you two will have Martin to take care of you.”

“Ba!”

“Nope, Tristan is going on the trip as well, so he can’t weasel his way out of it this time. But your oldest brother has to take a break every once in a while, or he just might go crazy and his head will explode into a million, billion pieces, and we don’t want that! No we don’t, no we don’t!”

Both babies let out a giggle at his energetic, peppy voice.

He was going to miss these days, when he could say just about anything to the babies and not worry about them remembering anything.

But hey, he had plenty of days until that happened, right?
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future
AnimeNerd

Post by AnimeNerd »

Yeah, Joel had issues with his family. He wouldn't deny it, if anyone asked.

But, in the end? He wasn't sure if he'd change much, if anything, about them.
[+] The Living
[+] The Dead
[+] The Future