The Last Train Home

Mitsuru oneshot.

Shiroiwa (Japanese for "Castle Rock") is the city from which Class 2-B hails. While a far cry from the metropolis of Tokyo, it is still large enough to support a relatively diverse array of activities, and is markedly more urban than rural. Though not the city situated across they water from the island, it is remarkably similar in size, and the nearby civilization may provoke memories, especially at night when the lights shine. While this forum is named for Shiroiwa for thematic reasons, memories set elsewhere are also allowed. Characters may be in one active memory thread at a time, though may also have one-shots or solo threads as desired without counting against the cap.

Moderator: BRAU2 Director

ItzToxie

The Last Train Home

Post by ItzToxie »

Mitsuru stood at the train station, waiting for his ride home. The other boys of the Kiriyama family had their own shit to do that day, so he just spent his me-time and shakedown money at the arcade, then got himself some curry from the nearby CoCo’s Ichibanya. Sometimes it was fun to just relax. No gym time, no brawling, just existing for a day. What else would he do, lie in bed at home while his deadbeat folks drunk themselves in their alcoholic stupor? Fuck no. They didn’t have any self respect, but he sure did. Still, a day had to end, and he still had school tomorrow, as pointless as it was, which meant he had to get some sleep.

He always hated the trains though. Packed to hell, he could never find a seat. It was the fastest way home, though. It was an hour and a half ride back between each stop if he took the bus. Sometimes you just had to suck it up.

Moving through the crowd he kept his hands in his pockets, pickpocket bastards were common in this area, and where there’s one, there’s three more waiting to back him up if things get violent. With his boys, Mitsuru liked those odds. On his own, not so much. As he entered the train, he thought he saw the stars align, there was seating available!

He made his was towards it, but hesitated. There was an old woman in front of him, who’d been on since the last stop at least. Part of him would feel guilty if he just stole the seat like that. “Excuse me, ma’am-“ he got her attention, pointing to the seat, just before some shaggy looking shitheel shoved past the both of them and plopped his ragged ass down into the chair.

Mitsuru blinked.

“Well, there *was* your seat…”

This was going to be a long ride. He stared at the man, maybe he’d realize what was going on. He stared back. Yeah. Hello, eye contact.

“What the hell’re looking at?”

Oh wow. Mitsuru couldn’t help but laugh. It was like this motherfucker didn’t know who he was talking to.

“What’s so funny you little shit? Don’t know how to respect your elders?”

Oh he DIDN’T know who he was talking to! It all makes sense!

“Well, you just stole that old lady’s seat. Looks like you need to take your own advice.”

The businessman turned beet red. “Who do you think you’re talking too, huh? I work all day and you think I’m not gonna take my time to sit down and relax? You think I’m going to take some shit from some snot nosed runt and some old skag? Get out of my face you little freeloading trash!”

Mitsuru just about stepped forward to lay this guy out when the old lady stopped him.

“It’s okay, I get off next stop anyways.”

Mitsuru sighed. It was going to be a long ride. Next stop came and went, the old woman left. Businessman was still there. Still staring.

Mitsuru stared back.

“What are you looking at you little shit? I thought we been over this?”

Tonight might be fun after all.

“A bitch.”

The man shot up grabbing Mitsuru by the collar.

“What the fuck did you just say to me you little bitch? What’s going on inside your head?”

Bastard was way too close. Halitosis talking scumbag was asking for it. He stared daggers into the man. Mitsuru still smiled.

“Oh I’m just wondering what your doing in MY seat.”

The man reeled back and punched Mitsuru right in the face…

Sometimes public transportation wasn’t so bad. Every once in a while you find some open seating, it makes the day easier. Mitsuru wiped blood away from his nose with a black handkerchief, that was formerly some deadbeat’s tie. Sometimes,- Mitsuru crossed his legs on top of the curled mound dressed in wool below them- those seats come with free footrests as well. He sighed. Perfect end to a perfect day.

Unfortunately when your seat comes with a footrest, that means the conductor probably witnessed the whole thing, and called the youth corps. He’d have to leave a stop early, which added another 15-20 minutes on his commute home, but it was worth it. Little shit on the ground could get his second ass kicking by them, Mitsuru had no interest in playing along with the jackboot’s games however.

Train slowed to a stop. He pushed over his ‘footrest’ with a grunt as it responded with its own defeated moan. “Thanks for the seat…” Mitsuru said as he left the train. All in all it was a good day. You didn’t really have to go looking for excitement around here, with the right attitude, it just finds you.

Speaking of which… Mitsuru caught eyes of some uniforms glancing around. He knew who they were looking for, and he wasn’t in the mood to deal with them right now. He pulled a Sho and disappeared into the crowd as he continued his journey home.

((Mitsuru Numai continued elsewhere.))
Catche thinks my squirrel is Fisk so here's my daily reminder that he is not.

Return to “Shiroiwa (Memories)”