I'm the Satellite and You're the Sky.

Open!

A large, uneven, hilly portion of rocky desert terrain east of The Compound and the old road leading to it. The Roughlands are defined by its short hills and large, hardy shrubs, providing plenty of cover to those within it, but being time consuming and energy intensive to navigate.

THREAD LIMIT: 2

Moderator: SOTF Supers Staff

Fenrir
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by Fenrir »

Andrew was out-voted, despite Mattie apparently having similar concerns, and the other two decided to walk up the hill to take a look at what was happening on the other side. He opted to stay at the bottom as they ascended, watching their backs in a literal rather than a figurative sense as they approached the ridge; a part of him was compelled to follow, more for safety in numbers than curiosity, but caution won out and he stayed where he was.

For a few seconds at least.

As the other two climbed high enough to be able to see over the top and nothing happened, Andrew found his feet moving too. The sounds on the other side had died down a little and as he too reached the top he finally saw what was happening; two people, one waving a small implement at another who anyone at their school should be able to recognise. “What are they doing?”

There was no fighting, though the situation still seemed tense, no weapons, no dangerous weapons at least. On the whole it didn’t look that much different from their first meeting and Andre was beginning to think he had blown things out of proportion in his mind; been worried for nothing. Until the tiger lunged.

Andrew started forward, taking an impulsive step forward that was immediately halted by common sense. “Shit. Should we do something?” He turned to Mattie, not entirely sure what it was either of them could do other than watch as a girl had her throat ripped out; the best he could do was make sure none of them heard it happen and he didn’t know what Mattie could do. He turned to Cyrus and… Cyrus was gone. Not next to him, not behind them; Andrew looked down the slope and back the way they had come but there was nothing their either.

A shout tore his attention back to the fight which, despite its initial ferocity, seemed to already be over. Not in the way he expected either, the girl was still alive and so was the boy. “Wait… it’s over? Did you hear what she said?”
[+] Supers
SS33: Andrew Martin - The sound of silence
Gift: Hush
[+] TV3
MM02: Sarah Lillian Whitlock - Is anybody out there?
Weapon - WASP Injection Knife
Team - Malcolm's Mariners
Current Location - There's a Fire in the Sky That Only I Can See
Memory Location - Close encounters

ES10: Akeno Kudo - Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset
Memory Location - Coulomb's Law

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
O28: Zander Lin - Don't you know who I am?
Weapon - None
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

"Home. She, uh, she said she could bring us home?"

The question mark at the end of Mattie's answer was because, well. Why would she need to bring them home? The police were supposed to rescue them, weren't they?

Like, he knew that this was real. He knew that his teacher and the school cop and Spencer were all dead. He knew that. But, there was no way a class of fifty something kids would just be allowed to disappear like that. Things like that didn't just happen in America without anything else coming to pass. Someone somewhere would have had to have noticed by now that they hadn't arrived at the potato farm or come back from it. Dad would've noticed, and so would Andrew's parents and everyone else's. It wasn't stupid to think that, right? The authorities would get them home, so why would she take that upon herself?

Of course, he didn't actually vocalize any of his doubts or misgivings given that, currently, the girl who'd said that was being pinned to the ground by a shirtless cat boy twice her size. She wasn't actually in a great negotiating position right now so, like, he'd just leave the whole getting home matter alone for a bit.

He moved a few steps past Andrew, coming more clearly into the other two's view, hands raised. He didn't know why he was doing that, really, he hadn't threatened or been threatened by anyone, just, like, a universal gesture for peace, if you asked him then and there. He didn't know, he didn't have anything to go off of other than the fact he'd heard people fighting, came up, and was now in front of, like, the climax of whatever that fight had been, and all he knew was that it had to stop, he wanted it to stop.

So, he tried to project his voice a little towards them, said, "Hey man, you, uh, it's fine now, we're all cool now, right? We don't have to do this, like, you don't want to hurt her, right? Right?"

He'd thought about stepping in to stop his parent's fights many times before, but he never gave much thought to what could have happened after. His flashbacks always ended before they got to that point.
SC3:
Matias Juarez is fed up. He is currently walking home.
Pregame: now that you are broken by the seas, in the depths of the waters,
Memories: Vamô Detonar essa Porra!

Diego Larrosa is lost.
[+] ᵧₒᵤբₛ
[+] Supers
Dead:
SS35: Mattie Wilkinson can't stop thinking about the past. He tried his best to matter in There We Will Be, Like An Old Enemy. [14/43]
Previous Threads: would - I'm the Satellite and You're the Sky - I'll Be Your Friend in the Daylight Again - What Remains of Cyrus Vähi - Could You Spare My Blood? - Inertia
[+] TV3
TV3 Characters:
Dead:
BC03: Matias Juarez hates you, and you personally. It was all bullshit to him in the end. [24/81]
Previous Threads: Doves in the Wind - Chapter 46: Fantom Frigate - Matias & Me - Loyalty: 1 - Everything Is Going According to Plan - Loyalty: 2 - If I ever acquire wisdom, I suppose I'll be wise enough to know what to do with it - Go for Broke - Wisdom (Part 2) - The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living - The Distance Between the Landscape and Dusk - I Want to Conquer the World - Night Moves
Memory Thread: It's All So Incredibly Loud

SS11: Britnee Joyner (adopted from Somer!) heard something from a friend of a friend, and wants you to know about it. She gave the cameras one last smile in Out on the Sea, We'd Be Forgiven [37/81]
Previous Thread: It Matters if We All Live - 👁️👄👁️ -👁️📦👁️ - Wait a Minute! - Bravado - On the Way to Anywhere - I Want Blood, Guts, and Chocolate Cake
Pregame Threads: Now, Check That
Memory Threads: Let's Hit It 90 To Nothing
[+] SC2
Dead:
B16: "Badass" Johnny Lancer (adopted from Yugi!) is the diplomat with scars inside and out. He got what he deserved in Though Far Away, We're Still the Same [8/65]
Pregame: Hold Your Horses Now (We Sleep Until the Sun Goes Down).
Memories: Through the Dreamers, We Hear the Hum. They Say "Come On, Come On, Let's Go."
Previous Threads: I'm Looking For a Place to Start, But Everything Feels So Different Now - waste of words - Now, Wait, Wait, Wait for Me, Please Hang Around. I'll See You When I Fall Asleep - Sinking Man - Little Talks - There and Back Again - Your Bones - some day we may come to peace with the world within ourselves

B33: Damion Castillo is the perfectionist with cracks in his facade. He ran out of time in At Every Occasion, I'll Be Ready For The Funeral [38/65]
Previous Threads: Second Impressions - I'd Rather Be At The Aquarium.
Memories: Take a Bite of My Heart Tonight
[+] SOTF TV2
Dead:
CJ2 - Cathryn Bailey is the cynic who just wants respect. She lost control in Production Costs [4/72]
Previous Threads: A New Morning - Don't You? - The Jellies Experience - Makeup - Discordant - Stuck in the Middle with You - The Final Curtain - Grievances - Silver Lights - Going forward - Closing In
School: Whittree Secondary School
TB3 - Damion Castillo is the elitist who just wants to be good. He died a perfectly ordinary death in Lifdoff [65/72]
Previous Thread: Countdown
School: Davison Secondary School
pls give my kids friends tv3 version

Stephanie's Cuckaneers Today at 12:29 AM
maraoone was a mistake - cicada 2021
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

Cecilia looked over as best she could. Someone was approaching them, hands outstretched like he was a bank robber being ordered out of the bank by the police, and someone else she couldn't identify was behind them. Who were they? Where had they come from? But these questions were rammed aside when, just as the new person finished telling El Tigre not to hurt her, a nearby loudspeaker blared to life. Cecilia tried to turn her head so she could hear what the announcement was saying. This did no good at all, and made her neck hurt after a few seconds.

Still, the announcement's intention became clear even if some of the words weren't - no one had died yet, and the animal-face people were pretty upset about that. Cecilia's heart began to pound in her ears as the announcement went on. El Tigre's fangs were still within biting distance of her throat, and who knew how violent these new people were? She needed to get out of here, now.

Cecilia nodded frantically in response to the questions El Tigre had asked, hoping to divert his attention away from the announcement. She made sure to speak loudly, so that all of them could hear.

"¡Si, si! Do not hurt me! We walk out, and I get you your steak!"

...How? She racked her brains for any inspiration. What was in her field of view? Fangs. Muscles. Big fangs. Blood. Big, sharp fangs. None of this was helping! She flicked her eyes upwards. Nothing there but wide, empty blue sky. Would that work? She'd seen a boy at school walk into the sky once, just like it was stairs.

"I have gift! We can go... sky!"

It sounded like a great lie, until she realized he'd probably want a demonstration. She mentally pictured El Tigre tossing her off a cliff while yelling "¡Vola!."

...Híjole. What else could fly?

"We take..."

Híjole, what was the word? Why couldn't she remember the word for avión!? She must have seen it a hundred times. Aeropuerto? No, that was the building! But it was something like that.

"We take the aero...plano?" The last word came out as a question. El Tigre seemed to understand it, so she went with it. She cast a look over at the newcomers, as if encouraging them to give her some backup here. "Si! My gift... I talk to the aeroplano! They will save us!"

She looked back at El Tigre, her eyes hopeful. "So... y-you let go now?"
Kotorikun

Post by Kotorikun »

Toma didn’t intend to make the questioning noise that he let out sound more like a growl. His head snapped to the other two who had arrived, one more familiar to him than the other, while his mind was jumping from one thing to the next as well. Most of it overlapped into a mashup of five songs of different genres, figuratively.

While he kept his gaze on Mattie a bit longer than on Andrew, he straightened his back and shifted back on his knees with a slight wince when he lifted his palm from his shoulder. The blood on it was a reminder that this whole ordeal could have gone better, though judging by the wound it could have also gone a lot worse. It was nowhere near life threatening, simply a puncture with a lot of irritation around it.

“Dude...."

He looked back at Cecilia with sharp eyes as she kept going on while the announcement was playing. Ear twitching and tail flailing around a bit harsher now, he was actually wondering about the position of the potential speakers rather than the content since the voice seemed to come out of nowhere.

Once Toma understood that Cecilia wasn’t talking about arrows, as in a bow and arrow, his eyes lit up and he puckered his lips.

When she asked him to let go, he complied, swifter than ever with a jump to get back up.

“Guys,” he started, taking a deep breath, “she can talk to planes!”, and released it, moved closer to the scissors and stepped on those bad boys with one foot. “That sounds.... useful! Like, I’m not a big fan of them but communication is good, yeah?”
[+] Supers
Toma Jeung is snoozing in the sun forever
[+] Intl
ImageHarun Tee will yeet you ten feet into the air
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

“Yeah.” He hadn’t misheard then. “That’s what I thought.”

She could get them home. It was exactly what Andrew wanted to hear, exactly what he’d kind of been planning on doing when he said he was going to the outskirts of this place alone; escaping however he could using whatever method he could devise in the middle of a desert by himself. His chances of actually succeeding at that were only slightly higher than none at all, but better to waste time attempting to leave than actually trying to compete for his life against people like tiger guy over there. That someone actually had a way to get them out was exactly what he wanted hear.

Except for the fact that she was almost certainly lying.

Like Mattie, he wasn’t blind to the fact that she was a few seconds from having her throat ripped out and would have said or done anything to avoid that. When she then tried to explain how she could get them out, using her Gift of talking to planes, he was even more dubious. It was possible, sure, some people had some really strange abilities, but this one was a little too convenient given their situation. Whether it was a bluff or not it had worked though; she was still alive and tiger guy had let her go. But if it was a bluff, then what was going to happen when he found out?

Andrew didn’t want to be around to find out, he wanted to just leave while still could. Mattie took that option away when he spoke up, drawing attention to the both of them. They were in this now, to whatever end.

“Yeah, communication is great. She can call for help; like… let people know where we are and stuff.”
[+] Supers
[+] TV3

Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
Weapon - None
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

He hadn't expected that, really. For him to just jump off her like that. He'd braced himself for this long, protracted negotiation, but no. He just ended it, like that.

It was so easy.

So, so,

He was standing by the bedroom d

He shook himself back.

He was here. He was here, on this sandy hill, and everyone was still alive. He was here.

He took a few deep breaths. Slowly lowered his arms. Tingles coursed along his shoulder. He felt clearer.

He deliberately placed his focus on the two in front, what they were saying. The tiger guy was buying it, what the girl said her gift was, and Andrew seemed to be buying it too. Cyrus seemed to be quiet, hadn't spoken up in a bit. He wasn't so sure himself. Chewed on the thought a bit.

Like, how did that even work? Did she talk to the plane itself or, like, the pilot? The radio system? Anyone high above? Did she project her voice loud enough, or was it just carried along certain wavelengths?

Anyways.

He had the feeling the question as to what her gift really was, whether it was talking to planes or something more useless, could only really be answered elsewhere, when giving the wrong or right answer didn't carry such high stakes. He thought about asking her another time, if he decided to stick around.

If. He'd heard the announcement, same as everyone else. Didn't so much fill him with dread as kept it level, kept that same background paranoia that had been humming along in the back of his mind running. Mattie had achieved his immediate objective of, like, the girl's throat not getting torn out. And the fact that the other guy had deescalated so quickly was confusing, quite frankly, but it meant he wasn't hellbent on murder yet, that he could be talked with, at the very least. But what then? Were they supposed to stick together now? Did they try to bring her away from the tiger guy?

Again, he'd never been any good at long-term shit. He wasn't made like that. At the very least, he felt that the easiest course forward, the least dangerous course, would be the one where they went along with whatever she said. Whether it was a lie or the truth.

So, he kept it going, said, "That... sounds great, to be honest. Have you been able to reach out to anyone so far?"
SC3:

Diego Larrosa is lost.
[+] ᵧₒᵤբₛ
[+] Supers
Dead:
SS35: Mattie Wilkinson can't stop thinking about the past. He tried his best to matter in There We Will Be, Like An Old Enemy. [14/43]
Previous Threads: would - I'm the Satellite and You're the Sky - I'll Be Your Friend in the Daylight Again - What Remains of Cyrus Vähi - Could You Spare My Blood? - Inertia
[+] TV3
TV3 Characters:
Dead:
BC03: Matias Juarez hates you, and you personally. It was all bullshit to him in the end. [24/81]
Previous Threads: Doves in the Wind - Chapter 46: Fantom Frigate - Matias & Me - Loyalty: 1 - Everything Is Going According to Plan - Loyalty: 2 - If I ever acquire wisdom, I suppose I'll be wise enough to know what to do with it - Go for Broke - Wisdom (Part 2) - The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living - The Distance Between the Landscape and Dusk - I Want to Conquer the World - Night Moves

SS11: Britnee Joyner (adopted from Somer!) heard something from a friend of a friend, and wants you to know about it. She gave the cameras one last smile in Out on the Sea, We'd Be Forgiven [37/81]
Previous Thread: It Matters if We All Live - 👁️👄👁️ -👁️📦👁️ - Wait a Minute! - Bravado - On the Way to Anywhere - I Want Blood, Guts, and Chocolate Cake
[+] SC2
Dead:
B16: "Badass" Johnny Lancer (adopted from Yugi!) is the diplomat with scars inside and out. He got what he deserved in Though Far Away, We're Still the Same [8/65]
Memories: Through the Dreamers, We Hear the Hum. They Say "Come On, Come On, Let's Go."
Previous Threads: I'm Looking For a Place to Start, But Everything Feels So Different Now - waste of words - Now, Wait, Wait, Wait for Me, Please Hang Around. I'll See You When I Fall Asleep - Sinking Man - Little Talks - There and Back Again - Your Bones - some day we may come to peace with the world within ourselves

B33: Damion Castillo is the perfectionist with cracks in his facade. He ran out of time in At Every Occasion, I'll Be Ready For The Funeral [38/65]
[+] SOTF TV2
Dead:
CJ2 - Cathryn Bailey is the cynic who just wants respect. She lost control in Production Costs [4/72]
Previous Threads: A New Morning - Don't You? - The Jellies Experience - Makeup - Discordant - Stuck in the Middle with You - The Final Curtain - Grievances - Silver Lights - Going forward - Closing In
TB3 - Damion Castillo is the elitist who just wants to be good. He died a perfectly ordinary death in Lifdoff [65/72]

Gundham

Post by Gundham »

Cecilia didn't consider herself religious anymore, but she'd still felt an instinctual temptation to cross herself and whisper a faint prayer of thanksgiving when El Tigre released his grip. She suppressed the urge and sat up, rubbing a bit of life back into her wrists.

The smaller boy's question made it clear that even if the immediate peril was over, she wasn't out of the woods yet. She was still alive, yes, but only because these three believed that she could get them out of here. But how long could that last?

Cecilia stood upright, dusting herself off as she got her first good look at the newcomers. She thought she'd seen them around the school, but couldn't possibly put names to their faces. The smaller one who'd intervened in the fight she'd call Pacificador, peacemaker. The other one, who was tall, thin, and seemed remarkably less enthusiastic, became Bicho Palo.

El Tigre, El Pacificador, and El Bicho Palo. Three of them, and one of her. These American boys were peaceful for now, but things couldn't possibly stay that way. This was a hostage situation. They would keep her alive only as long as they remained convinced that she could get them out of here. As long as she had something they needed, something they could exploit for their own gain, she could survive.

But for now, she needed an answer to Pacificador's question.

"Si... I call for help, but they cannot hear. My gift... I talk to the radio, to the piloto." She used her hands to mime the bulky earphones that she'd seen pilots wearing in movies.

"But... If I can talk to the aeroplane, it must be near, si? If not, only I hear..." Cecilia thought for a second, and then made a noise like "KsshHSSHksshhsssk" to imitate static.

Were they buying this? She couldn't tell. A desperate, paranoid part of her desperately wanted to continue spewing more details about her fictitious Gift, but she managed to curb the impulse. Seeming too eager to prove herself might look suspicious, and it'd be easy to trip up and contradict herself. No, she'd sold it well enough that they weren't immediately murdering her, and that was what really mattered. Now what she really needed was a diversion. Something to keep their minds occupied somehow. Luckily, she had an idea for that.

"To get the aeroplano to come near, we must make a..." Cecilia cast about for the right word, not sure if they'd understand. "A señal? A, err... sign? For the aeroplano to see."

She rummaged in her bag for a second, and then produced the tightly-folded space blanket that she'd seen earlier. She held it up, turned it this way and that, so that each of the boys could see the light gleaming off of the foil.

"You have, si?"
Kotorikun

Post by Kotorikun »

Toma was listening carefully, nodding, looking like he understood the whole plan;

and he actually did!

It was just that his growling stomach, which was audible only to him, was a bit of a pain alongside the other obvious pain. When Cecilia presented the shiny blanket, Toma "ohhh"-ed and looked over at this bag and other belongings that were scattered on the ground when it started to make his eyes feel uncomfortable.

He crouched down to pick up the pair of scissors and put it in his pants pocket, lifted his cap off his head and ruffled his hair while walking towards his bag.

"Are we gonna wrap ourselves up like little space burritos so that they can see us?"
[+] Supers
[+] Intl
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Right, she could talk to airplanes through their radios. That sounded more believable, though he was still leaning more towards this all being a bluff. Her Gift made a lot more sense when she put it that way through; probably something to do with being able to, I don’t know, convert her voice into radio waves or piggyback on existing transmissions. She could make her voice come out of the pilot’s headset and communicate with them.

Yeah, that actually sounded plausible. Plausible enough that against his better judgement he found himself wondering if this was actually true after all.

The girl pulled an emergency blanket out of her bag and showed it to them, the reflective surface catching the light and dazzling him for a moment. He hadn’t checked his own bags contents yet, despite ample opportunities before he met Mattie and Cyrus to do so; presumably he had the same thing though. “Like an S.O.S.? We lay all our blankets out so the planes can see us.”

Andrew rubbed a hand at the back of his neck as he considered that; the skin back there was starting to feel a little sensitive. Sunburn maybe. The idea of using their blankets as a signal wasn’t terrible. Wasn’t that why they made them reflective in the first place? Or was it something to do with keeping the heat out? Either way it might work, assuming any planes were flying overhead and the pilots were looking straight down as they did. That’s where this girl Gift would come in, supposedly, but even without that it wasn’t a bad idea.

Better than anything he had in mind at least.

“Uh, if we’re doing this, we should probably find somewhere more open. Somewhere with less rocks and stuff.” Back the way they just came would probably work; lots of flat ground to work with. “Make this sign as big as we can so it can be seen.”

S033 - Andrew Martin continued in What Remains of Cyrus Vähi
[+] Supers
[+] TV3

Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
Weapon - None
Gundham

Post by Gundham »

(skipped with permission)

Cecilia nodded excitedly as Bicho Palo took up the idea and expanded on it. Truth be told, she had just been planning on having the boys run around waving the blankets like flags in order to signal the aeroplano, but this sounded much better. She'd be secure in her lie as long as a plane didn't show up. And if one did, then it would see the distress signal and radio for help, and they could all get out this nightmare. It was a win-win.

As Bicho Palo started walking away, she noted the beginnings of a sunburn on the back of his neck. She thought for a second about pulling off her sweater, but opted to keep it on. Her body was dewy with sweat underneath it, but the less flesh she exposed to the harsh sunlight, the better. As long as she didn't overexert herself and made sure to drink enough water, she'd be all right.

Cecilia gathered up her bag and sleeping bag, and followed the tall, skinny boy towards the flatlands. She didn't know how long of a walk it would be, but she hoped it'd be a long one. Cecilia had walked through the desert before, she knew how to endure it. With any luck, these American boys would grow tired and get sunburnt quickly, and they'd have a harder time chasing her whenever the time came for her to make a break for it.

S040 - Cecilia Moreno continues in a later, flatter thread.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

That sounded plausible enough, he guessed. Radio waves and shit. The signs idea was a good idea, too, regardless of whether or not the girl's gift was what she said it was. Nothing like a giant SOS to get the cops over here.

It was better than turning into a space burrito, he noted to himself with a smirk, a quick look at the tiger boy.

He turned his head to see what Cyrus thought of all this, given his prolonged silence. And in the distance, a speck in a leather jacket crossed the old road, long, long gone. He hadn't even said a word. Kinda rude of him, he thought to himself. And at the same time, his shoulders loosened up some more.

He trudged off back where he'd come from, same as the others. The image popped in his head, again, of insects pulling and tearing at his skin, leaving him raw. And then he looked a bit beyond Cyrus, and saw that the gray, pulsating cloud that had followed Isabella was now upon the building in the horizon.

There were so many people in there.

His pace picked up, and soon he found himself alongside the rest of the group. The sooner they did something, the sooner they got to the flatlands, the better. They needed a place to set up the signs, to set up camp.

He spared a glance at the girl.

And he had some questions to ask.

((Mattie Wilkinson continues in I'll Be Your Friend in the Daylight Again))
SC3:

Diego Larrosa is lost.
[+] ᵧₒᵤբₛ
[+] Supers
Dead:
[+] TV3
TV3 Characters:
Dead:

[+] SC2
Dead:

[+] SOTF TV2
Dead:

Kotorikun

Post by Kotorikun »

Toma put his cap back on, picked up the closest item, his shirt, and dabbed it against his wound while the others were talking. It was bleeding only slightly and to him, it looked fine enough to leave it as it was. The last he had heard was that it was best to let it air dry.

After the dabbing, he threw his shirt around his shoulders and tied it together instead of properly putting it on, then stuffed whatever seemed important enough back inside his bag.

The others seemed to have already figured out the important parts of the plan, so he tagged along. He would have either way.

((Toma Jeung continued elsewhere))
[+] Supers
[+] Intl

Return to “The Roughlands (Danger Zone)”