SOMEONE SAW ME COVERED IN BLOOD AND ASKED WHO I WAS AND I PANICKED AND SAID "LUIGI"

Open, after the second announcement.

The graveyard sits on a hill behind the church, overlooking the whole town. Many generations of continuous family lines can be found within the fence that encircles the land designated for this use. Most of the oldest gravestones have started to be reclaimed by the wild growth of the surrounding foliage, although a large ornate stone crypt featuring intricate carvings of various fish has been treated with the utmost care by the former groundskeeper. Behind the crypt is an area of land unused except for the presence of a large white gazebo. This area offers a view out over the surrounding environment and is relatively free of hazards.
CondorTalon

SOMEONE SAW ME COVERED IN BLOOD AND ASKED WHO I WAS AND I PANICKED AND SAID "LUIGI"

Post by CondorTalon »

((Cassandra Argent continued from BORN TO DIE / WORLD IS A FUCK / 鬼神 Kill Em All 2026 / I am trash man / 33 DEAD BRITS.))

Daniel Newhouse. That was the boy's name.

Daniel Newhouse.

It was an uneasy sleep. Cassandra had, in fact, ended up staying in the house, on the second floor. She tried to avoid falling asleep. Asleep people weren't vigilant people. If she slept, she could be snuck up on. She tried to stay awake as long as she could, but eventually her body had just given in. It was an uneasy, dreamless sleep, interrupted by the crackle of the loudspeakers. Cassandra had bolted awake at the sound, and barely paid attention to the announcements.

Enough to know the name of the boy she'd murd- killed.

The name was unfamiliar to her, like a nagging sort of unfamiliar, like she'd definitely seen that name before, on a class roster? Yearbook or something? She couldn't remember.

It's not like it mattered anyway. Almost immediately after she'd gathered all her things and left.

She walked. She kept walking.

It seemed like everywhere she went, she found bodies, but that wasn't true. It was just these two, near the gazebo.

Cassandra didn't want them in her line of sight, but she didn't want to touch them either. She moved past the gazebo, over to a small stone building. Her eyes wandered idly as she walked a lap around the crypt.

She didn't want to end up like them.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

"It's quite a nice piece of work, isn't it? The carvings, you can see they had a great deal of passion put into them."

((Virgil Raeburn continued from And All Because of a Snail))

It was as good an introduction as any in this place. Virgil hadn't met anyone in a very long time, just wandered wherever his feet would take him. The quiet meditation had been good for him; he took his problem and took it apart in his head, examining every little part until he was confident he understood it. He'd been adrift, but he'd come to know what his role in this hellish ordeal was going to be (though he didn't know whether it was his own choice or not). Now, he was confident it was time for him to return to the world he had encountered at the pub, the world of the almost-dead struggling as they were pulled into the abyss, one by one.

(The fact that he was in a graveyard wasn't intentional on his part, it was just where he ended up.)

Virgil's eyes fell over the small, blood spattered figure he'd once known as Cassandra Argent. He'd never figured her to be the type to lurk around crypts. He'd also never figured she'd be the type to stab a rugby player twice her size to death with a shard of glass. She wasn't who he thought she was, not anymore.

He was intrigued to learn what she had become.

He drifted closer to her. She didn't appear to have a glass shard with her at the moment, so Virgil thought it was unlikely she'd kill him before they had the opportunity to converse. He raised his hands to show her he meant no harm, and took a position leaning against the stone crypt. He cleared his throat.

"Cassandra. You've run into some difficulty, haven't you? Tell me your story."
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Cassandra jumped when she heard the voice. For just a split second, she thought she might have just been hearing things, like she'd suddenly been haunted by a ghost. Then she turned and saw the boy.

Another unfamiliar face. Another unknown. Another person she couldn't trust.

He didn't seem dangerous, at least, but that didn't say much. Her eyes darted up and down his figure, trying to find some kind of weapon on him, something that she had to worry about, but she didn't really see anything.

That didn't mean that there was nothing there. As the boy approached, she shrunk back slightly, unnoticeably, and opened her mouth to speak.

Are you going to attack me? was what she was about to say, but then realized it was a stupid question. She couldn't even trust the answer to that question, even if wasn't a 'yes'. So the question went unasked.

The boy spoke again, and Cassandra's eyes widened as he said her name. How did he know her name? She looked at him suspiciously, barely even registering the latter part of his comment until a few seconds later. She opened her mouth to speak, to refuse, to say that she didn't trust him. But her throat felt tight and dry, and she closed her mouth again.

Instead she merely responded with a frantic shake of her head.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Virgil frowned and tilted his head to the side. She was afraid, too afraid to speak. Was she afraid of him (Virgil)? No, that was preposterous. Perhaps she was afraid of her own actions, of what pain they could cause her if she spoke of them, if she acknowledged them.

"You can speak. There's nothing here aside from me and the dead, and none of us will harm you."

Virgil spread out his arms in what he approximated was an affable gesture.

"I only want to listen. I want to know. I won't get angry, no matter what you say."

He would judge her, however.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

The boy just kept talking. His tone put her on edge. It was too... casual? Friendly? Cassandra didn't know, but something was off about it.

Cassandra wanted to shake her head again, but she wasn't even sure that would work. Perhaps he would just keep asking her. Perhaps he'd hound her until she told him.

"Th-... He attacked me," she said.

There. That's all there was to it. He had to believe her, right? Then...

But still...

Would he attack her too? That question was still stuck in the back of her mind. The shard was stuffed into the waist of her skirt. If she had to use it again...
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

"Hmm. Yes, that sounds right."

It was an expected answer, regardless of whether it was the truth or not. Virgil believed it was the truth, at least. It made the most sense, given her demeanor.

He was glad she was talking to him. For a moment, he thought his wild dream might be dead in the water. But this gave him confidence. He straightened himself up and took a few slow steps closer, trying to be sure not to startle her. He looked her in the eyes. Large, brown, shaken.

"And where will you go from here, Cassandra? Do you want to survive?"
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

So now what? Cassandra had answered his question, but he didn't seem satisfied. His tone was still suspicious, and right now Cassandra wanted to leave... no, she wanted him to leave.

The boy kept going. Did she want to survive? Of course she did. What kind of...

The realization hit her like a truck. The boy's weirdly cordial tone, his casual demeanor...

He wanted something from her.

"What... what do you want from me?"
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Virgil looked at the girl, cowering before him. Then, he looked at the sky. The stars had fled before the early morning sun, rising to its place of dominance.

That was the question, wasn't it? She wanted to know. He knew, but he didn't know everything. He could tell her what he knew.

He lowered his eyes back to Cassandra.

"All of us will die here, but one. What does that mean, for those of us who'll die? All of our aspirations, all we were going to accomplish... it's all cut short, here. We're set to die meaninglessly, as tools for political conflicts that don't even involve us. But I've thought it over, and that doesn't have to be our fate. One will live on."

(He really hoped he wasn't speaking nonsense. It made perfect sense, he knew, but sense often turned to nonsense when exposed to reality.)

"The winner, whoever they are, they have to make their life truly meaningful. They must take the burden of all of us- our dreams, our memories, our souls - and they must use our deaths to make a mark on the world. They have to make our existences... worthwhile, important. As we die here, we're just scared, insignificant children. But the survivor, once they return to Britian, they will have the opportunity to make us greater than that, even after our mortal bodies have rotted away. If they are capable of it."

Virgil fell into silence, mulling over his words. This was it. This was the best result for all of them. But who, and how? They had to be someone here who had the talent, the drive.

"My role here, Cassandra, is to find the Hero of this story. The best possible winner, the one who will use their victory to the greatest effect. And then I'll do whatever is in my power to help them win. Up to and including laying down my own life."

He stepped closer to her again. How would she respond? He needed to see every detail of her face, commit it to memory.

"Cassandra. Do you want to survive? Do you want to take on this responsibility? If so, what will you do? How will you save us from nihility- from nothingness?"
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

And that's when she decided, fully decided, that this boy was crazy. As she listened to his little spiel, she became very aware of the glass shard pressed againsr her hip. She had to be ready. For... what, she didn't know. Sure, he wasn't attacking her now, but he made this whole big deal about finding the right 'Hero'. What if he suddenly decided that she wasn't the 'Hero' that he was looking for? Would he just leave, or...?

But that was a big 'if'. That thought was like a rock in the middle of the track, colliding with her already unstable train of thought. He wasn't attacking her, and if he decided that yes, she was the 'Hero' he was looking for, he would help her. Cassandra realized that this boy... for the first time since waking up, someone didn't try to attack her on sight. Or... well, attack on sight in general, anyway. And he was offering to help. He might have been crazy, but he wasn't trying to kill her.

"I-I..." she started, before coughing, "I-I want to..."

What did she want to? If she were able to get out of this place, what would she do? What did she want to do?

"I just... don't want to die..."
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Virgil stopped, then stared, then frowned. This wasn't the answer her needed. This wasn't an answer. It was a non-answer, showing absolutely nothing. Didn't she understand that this was important?

"You... just want to not die? What is that? What does that mean, Cassandra?"

Virgil heard his voice rising from its usual calm state, transforming before them into something restless, agitated. He couldn't remember when he'd last sounded this way.

"There's no other reason? Why would you want to avoid death if you lack a reason to live? What's the purpose in that!? There must be something, anything!" Virgil gestured at the crypt behind him. "If not, you might as well just go in there and find yourself a resting place!"

Virgil brought his hands to his face, trying to calm his spirit. This agitation wouldn't help, he knew that. It was just frustrating. The sand was dripping through the hourglass. Slow, but ever steady. He had to find the right one.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Cassandra jumped when Virgil raised his voice. That wasn't the answer he'd wanted, but of course it wasn't. It was just... she couldn't think right now, and... and...

"I-I..."

She shut up as he raised his voice, the tone of his words so unlike what they were before. She felt her heartbeat, louder and louder, as her hand went down, down to where the shard was.

It was happening again. Everywhere she went, he... they...

The shard came up, freed from its impromptu holster as she stared at him, wide-eyed. She took a shaky step back. She couldn't... she had to...

Her mind told her that she needed to run, but that message wasn't reaching her legs. She simply took another step back, reason and logic gone out the window as adrenaline started to take over. She eyed him, waiting for and dreading his next move.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

His hands slipped from his face. Virgil blew a stray strand of hair from his eyes. He could see her again. Now she had it out, the weapon she'd used for her killing. Her pointless, meaningless killing. He hadn't noticed it before. Cassandra couldn't explain herself; it seemed as though she lost what little communicative ability she'd had. Now all she could think of was violence. Stab the messenger to death to try to bury the truth. She was a lost cause.

Virgil stood up straight and looked into her eyes again. There was nothing behind them except for fear. Pure, base emotion. He had to keep moving.

"I apologize for my outburst." Virgil said, tone even again. "You're clearly not who I am looking to find. I don't wish for any violence between us. I'll take my leave."

Virgil walked around the edge of the crypt, keeping an eye trained on the girl. He couldn't risk setting her off. His life was still important, for the moment. When he'd established an adequate distance between them, Virgil turned his back.

"Goodbye, Cassandra."

Virgil went off into the graveyard. He didn't spare the girl a parting glance.

((Virgil Raeburn continued in Something to Believe In))
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

He left.

Cassandra stayed alert, the shard out, until the boy left. And then maybe for a few seconds after that. Maybe minutes. Cassandra didn't know.

Eventually, though, Cassandra allowed herself to lower the glass. She stared listlessly at the horizon in the direction Virgil had walked. A few footsteps forward, until she was up against the crypt again. She laid a hand on the stone building, unthinking.

Then she sat down against the wall, and allowed herself to cry.

She just wanted to survive. She just didn't want to die. And the boy had acted like that was an affront. Was this going to happen with everyone she'd run into? She was three for three on people she met trying to kill her. Cassandra squeezed her eyes shut, tears eking out of the corners of her eyes.

And she stayed like that, until the tears refused to flow anymore.

Then she stood up and walked. If that was how it was going to be, if she was just going to be attacked over and over again, then she'd just make sure they'd never get the chance.

She'd stop them before they could even thinking about hurting her.

((Cassandra Argent continued in What if You... Wanted to go to Heaven... But god said, "ᴜɴᴇxᴘᴇᴄᴛᴇᴅ ɪᴛᴇᴍ ɪɴ ʙᴀɢɢɪɴɢ ᴀʀᴇᴀ" .))

Return to “The Graveyard (PV3)”