Things Will Shortly Get Completely Out of Hand

Phase 1 (0-12 Hours), Open

The lower wharf lies beneath the upper, a shadowy maze of rocky beach and pier supports covered in algae and barnacles. Dead fish and crabs wash ashore in abundance, and there are areas where fishermen often dispose of their catch's unwanted heads, guts, and so forth. This leads to the area bearing an almost overpowering odor of nautical decay. The water here is generally shallow, and it's possible to traverse this area even at high tide, but footing is extremely treacherous and there are a number of difficult to spot pitfalls where the ground suddenly drops away into deep water. The dim light and ample cover may make it worth the risk to venture here, though.
backslash
Team Affiliation: Shiva's Sirens

Post by backslash »

"...No." Leo answered before he cracked his eyes open to see who was speaking to him.

He didn't want to open his eyes very wide, lest he catch sight of Howie in his peripheral vision.

His fingers peeled open from the fist clenched around his crucifix, and there was a throb of pain in the image of the cross dug into his palm. Leo rubbed his hand over his face, brushing away sand and specks of dried seaweed, and then dropped to fumble at the buttons on the front of his coat. He hadn't quite realized how much warmer it was here than back at home until now.

His squinting view of the area found Maya. He didn't know her well, didn't know how long she had been here, or what her intent was. But she hadn't shot yet, if she had the means to do so.

Leo couldn't think of anything else to say in response to her presence, so he left it at that. He had spent too much time inside his own head just now to jump right back into talking with people. If there had ever been an illusion that things could be normal and okay, it was irrevocably shattered by now.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"Alright. You planning on living?"
[+] Yesterday
BR: B01 - Yoshio Akamatsu: Dear friend, You are a freak. You are not wanted. You are not necessary. And you are the only one who is.
BR: G09 - Yuko Sakaki: and although the fingers slice things such as oranges and bodies, we can no longer be reasonably sure what these things are.
PV1: F03 - Chanel Martin: Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world.
PV1: M17 - Matthew Payne: I don't know the question, but sex is definitely an answer.
TV1: BLU2 - Anna Hitchins: I am uncomfortable with the fact this conversation isn't about me.
TV1: BLK3 - Holly Hergenroeder: Tho'th who make peatheful revolution impothible will make violent revoluthun inevitable.
Virtua: F12 - Jacqueline "Cameo" Conroy: I am not looking to escape my darkness, I am learning to correct the monster I created there.
Virtua: F20 - Ramona Shirley: Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the body and explosions to everything.
SC1: B04 - Preston Grey: We often miss opportunity because it's dressed like a cheerleader and looks like it's about to shoot you in the face.
SC1: G07 - Anna Kateridge: Laziness is the first step towards somehow finishing in 8th place.
PV2: F17 - Erin Underwood: There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of getting kicked through a tree branch.
TV2: CJ5 - Jaxon Street: Fashionable people don't necessarily fall in love with fashionable people.
SC2: G03 - Lyndi Thibodeaux: To be a good leader, you sometimes need to go down the parish path.
SC2: B20 - Jason Andrews: It's time to water down the standards which would lead to bravery.
PV3P: M05 - Santiago "Sandy" Ibarra: And so the mongoose lay with the solenodon.
PV3P: F22 - Nani Clover: Be the survivor you wish to see in the world.
PV3P: M43 - Grant Moore: In this game, American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.
PV3: F11 - Calista Carpenter: Doing things you hate for people you love is what it means to be family.
PV3: F13 - Oliver Davies: Many boys owe the grandeur of their games to their tremendous delusions.
TV3: SB09 - Emmett Purcell: Men, give your power to the bitches that deserve it.
TV3: BC07 - Ashanti Baker: Don't speak your mind, even if your throat shakes to speak.
INTL: O01 - Rainbow Moseki: Hide yourself in music, so when someone wants to find you, they can kill that first.
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:
Holly Hadaway: "Could you imagine if I never got my teeth fixed? Who'd take me seriously?"
Jason Foley: "Get on my level, scrublord."

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
backslash

Post by backslash »

Leo paused in the middle of shrugging his coat off. Maya's demeanor was making him uneasy (not that he'd been exactly content with things before she called out to him), and her question caught him off-guard.

He returned to what he had been doing as he mulled it over, sliding his arms out of his coat sleeves and letting the coat drop to the sand. That made the temperature a little more bearable, at least.

"I'm pretty attached to living, to be honest. Haven't ever really considered doing anything else." The ghost of a smile flitted across Leo's face, gone as quickly as it had appeared.

He wasn't sure if he should turn the question back onto her. There was no telling what she would do. There was no telling what he would do if Maya suddenly turned hostile.

Well, he'd probably just die, actually. Now that Leo thought about it, there didn't seem to be anything on hand anymore that he could have used to defend himself. Whoever had killed Howie had taken both his and Leo's bags.

As far as Leo could see, anyway. He wasn't keen on turning his head too far back in Howie's direction.

"What about you?"
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"Yup."

Maya moved her hand to her bag.
[+] Yesterday
BR: B01 - Yoshio Akamatsu: Dear friend, You are a freak. You are not wanted. You are not necessary. And you are the only one who is.
BR: G09 - Yuko Sakaki: and although the fingers slice things such as oranges and bodies, we can no longer be reasonably sure what these things are.
PV1: M17 - Matthew Payne: I don't know the question, but sex is definitely an answer.
TV1: BLU2 - Anna Hitchins: I am uncomfortable with the fact this conversation isn't about me.
TV1: BLK3 - Holly Hergenroeder: Tho'th who make peatheful revolution impothible will make violent revoluthun inevitable.
Virtua: F12 - Jacqueline "Cameo" Conroy: I am not looking to escape my darkness, I am learning to correct the monster I created there.
Virtua: F20 - Ramona Shirley: Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the body and explosions to everything.
SC1: B04 - Preston Grey: We often miss opportunity because it's dressed like a cheerleader and looks like it's about to shoot you in the face.
SC1: G07 - Anna Kateridge: Laziness is the first step towards somehow finishing in 8th place.
PV2: F17 - Erin Underwood: There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of getting kicked through a tree branch.
TV2: CJ5 - Jaxon Street: Fashionable people don't necessarily fall in love with fashionable people.
SC2: G03 - Lyndi Thibodeaux: To be a good leader, you sometimes need to go down the parish path.
SC2: B20 - Jason Andrews: It's time to water down the standards which would lead to bravery.
PV3P: M05 - Santiago "Sandy" Ibarra: And so the mongoose lay with the solenodon.
PV3P: M43 - Grant Moore: In this game, American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.
PV3: F11 - Calista Carpenter: Doing things you hate for people you love is what it means to be family.
PV3: F13 - Oliver Davies: Many boys owe the grandeur of their games to their tremendous delusions.
TV3: SB09 - Emmett Purcell: Men, give your power to the bitches that deserve it.
TV3: BC07 - Ashanti Baker: Don't speak your mind, even if your throat shakes to speak.
INTL: O01 - Rainbow Moseki: Hide yourself in music, so when someone wants to find you, they can kill that first.
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:
Holly Hadaway: "Could you imagine if I never got my teeth fixed? Who'd take me seriously?"

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen
backslash

Post by backslash »

"Oh," Leo breathed, and for a moment the world stood still.

...Well! You know that thought, the one Leo had just been having, about how he would probably lay down and die if things went south with Maya. All of a sudden, that wasn't such an appealing idea after all! Weird!

And so the world moved again, and Leo stood, jerkily, pulling his discarded coat up with him.

He'd had the fleeting thought somewhere in there that he wanted to cover Howie's body with it. Sorry, Howie.

Leo flung his coat at Maya, thinking-hoping-praying to hinder her for just a second. Sometimes all you needed was a second. He didn't wait to see if he was successful, instead spinning on his heel and breaking into a sprint away from her and Howie's body.

((Leo Menendez continued in Hellhound On My Trail))
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Maya was getting a bottle of water from her bag when a coat hit her and knocked her over. It was very strange.

Leo had left. Maya looked at the body, saw nothing of use, and left as well.

((Maya Spooner continued elsewhere))
[+] Yesterday
[+] Tomorrow
Cyber:
Boston Sullivan

SC:

TV Intermission:
Lara Rodriguez
Danica McIntyre
Gerard Cullen

Return to “Lower Wharf (Prologue)”