It's a butterfly whose wings span the world

Sophie and Clio, ask to join

These are the woods on the island’s northern coast. The trees run nearly all the way to the sea, allowing only a thin stretch of beach, which disappears altogether depending on the tide. The trees here are largely coniferous, and are in good health, bolstered by a number of wet years and their proximity to the ocean. These woods are largely fairly dense, though clearings are abundant and comparatively-sparse undergrowth leaves them fairly easy to traverse.
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

The only thing he could see and hear was Clio. Her screams and curses echoed the air as she pushed and pushed the blade closer, inch by inch of his face.

He felt like giving in. Everyone he had met till this point have tried their hand in his life. Blaine, Damion, Theo. And now Clio. It stung like nothing else.

But then Clio fell with a large thwack, toppling over the side. James had forgotten about Sophie during the whole debacle, just trying to deal with Clio was enough. And yet here she was, the one he didn’t trust out of the two saving his life, the first person here to make his life easier.

He fell to his side with his hands still wrapped around the machete.There they laid side by side. He saw her face had shifted to shock after the hit. Her eyes rolled back. Shaking, his fingers uncurled from the blade and his hands planted themselves on the ground as he forced himself up. He had trouble breathing as he felt shook to the core. He looked down at his hands, both were badly cut with a long one on the left.

He looked over to Sophie, tears in her eyes holding the hammer in hand. The thing that ended someone’s life just now.

“Th-thanks.” It was all he could say. The other words, were stuck in transit. He had no idea what to say to her. He thought he’d have this in the bag, finally someone who trusts him and believes him and doesn't try and fucking kill him. But of course not, Sophie was the only one so far not to have tried. He could have a chance there, if he could just say something. Anything.

Instead, he was transfixed on Clio. Body limp to the side with blood pooling from her head, tangling itself in her hair with the black and the purple colors. Her hands were still twirled around the machete, covered in his blood. He walked over to her and dropped down on his knees.

“Goddammit, why didn't you trust me?!” He slammed his fist onto her chest, it hurt. Blood dripping down upon her. “You..you didn’t have to die…”

The first girl he ever took out on a date, he held hands with, he ever kissed. Dead. Every moment they had together, every memory shared thrown away. She didn’t believe him. She wanted him dead, more than anything else.

The worst was she was right. There were lies there. He had left Damion behind. He did want Theodore Fletcher dead, but she didn’t understand… he had to do this. He had to lie.

He grabbed her by the shoulders, lifted her up and held her in a hug. An awkward sit down hug with blood trickling down the side of his face as he cried. “Why...why Clio…”
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Image (Adopted from Espional)
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

To Sophie's complete surprise, James seemed to actually be thankful for what she did. Was it possible that this was someone who could really believe and understand her intentions? If anything, it seemed he was more angry at Clio than anything else, taking his anger and frustrations out on her body.

Sophie glanced away as James hit her. When she heard him start to cry and saw he was now hugging her body, Sophie suddenly felt worse. Attempted murder or not, Clio meant a lot to James, so he must be going through a lot mentally right now. Sophie could understand. Their entire world was destroyed the minute their bus was hijacked, so it was becoming harder and harder to cling to vestiges of the past.

As she thought about this, she looked back to Jeanette's body, still covered in twigs and flowers. Maybe there was still a way for her to cling to some parts of the Sophie McDowell from Denton. Maybe she was still there.

Sophie reached into her bag and dug around for the first aid kit. She then placed it on the ground by James.

"Here," she said softly. "Use whatever you need. I'll get what we need to cover Clio's body."

She bit her lip a bit.

"No matter what she did, she at least deserves that."
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

James wasn't one for hugs, or much physical contact in general. He wasn't one for crying either. He'd done neither of these in years. Granted, he'd lived a rather cozy life with little problems so not like James had much reason to cry like a baby and while his parents weren't stingy when it came to showing their appreciation, they were more giving him money and stuff he wanted for his good work type of folks. And yet right now, it felt like all he could do.

In one way it felt nice holding her again, just to pretend it was a few months ago and not now, but in every other way it didn't. Besides the obvious fact that she was fucking dead. His hands hurt. His face hurt. He was covered in his own and her blood and her killer stood a few feet away crying to herself because she didn't want to do it. He could feel his heartbeat thump away as he held her. her head over his shoulder with his face buried in hers. It took everything to not scream or beg her for forgiveness.

He should have walked away. She'd still be alive if he had.

She was the one person he had hoped not to see again. She always had an effect on James ever since that first time in the lab. She could be mad, stingy, jealous. But at the same time lovely, nice, caring. When he saw her again, he couldn't focus. His lies and stories strung together in a mishmash. She could see it. She always did. It's why she left him in the first place. He should have known from Damion that even if he knew them, even if he'd been there, even if he'd helped her through all of this, she still could have decided to kill him. But he wanted to believe it, just once that he could make it work.

Sure, she looked worse for wear, but everybody would after a few days. She had her weapon out, but who wouldn't? She was hanging around with someone who had a kill to her name, better than staying alone he could attest to that.

It was a fragile hope that was born in these woods. It hadn't taken much for it to snap.

Sudden noises snapped him out of it. The sound of footsteps and the careful placement of a box beside him. He looked over with blurred eyes at the one person so far that hadn't hurt him in any way. She wanted to help him.

And her. Said she wanted to cover Clio's body. When he saw that body earlier, it was covered in flowers. So what she did to her friend in this place. Make up for the fact she bashed her head in. It wouldn't stop the smell or the decay of the body, but it would be the closest to respect that any of them would get.

Besides, this was something he could work with. He failed with Clio and he didn’t know Sophie that well, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t build a connection with her. She already saved his life, now he had to show her he was worth keeping.

"Yeah. She did." He stammered out as he laid her back down and tried to close her eyes. Fiction always made it look easy and dignified. Far from the truth, the body's a fickle thing and James had to force her eyes close. It didn't make her look at peace anymore than having her eyes open.

He looked away from her before he'd started another crying fit and settled with the MED kit she'd given him. "Thanks, again." He murmured as he opened the kit and rummaged through it for what he needed.
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Timeskip approved))

Sophie stared down at Clio's body. Like Jeanette, Sophie did her best to cover Clio's remains in a way that would be tasteful, appropriate, and would give her some dignity after death. The body was surrounded by branches and had a bouquet of flowers in her hands. Small rocks on her chest spelled "CG" to inform anyone who passed by who this girl was.

The hardest part was covering the wound. Sophie didn't have anything to cover Clio's face. James had already closed her eyes, which her look way more peaceful than she did before. Her wound was still letting blood out, so Sophie had to do something. Flowers would be easily stained with blood, so she turned away from that idea.

She settled for more branches. She laid them around Clio's head, stacked upon one another. This created a shell around her head, with branches propped against the side of Clio's head. It didn't do the best job, but at least the head wound was obscured now.

Sophie had worked quietly during this process. Now that she was done, she bowed her head, made the Signs of the Cross, and prayed.

Dear Lord, please forgive me for taking Clio Gabriella's life. Even if it was to save a person, I know this was still murder, and I only hope you can still forgive me and accept me into your kingdom when I die. Please cleanse my soul and forgive me, Clio, Jeanette, and anyone else who has died on this island this week. In your name, Amen.

Sophie did the signs again, then opened her eyes. She turned to James.

"How are you doing?" she asked.
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

James stood by as Sophie worked her magic. It took a while, but the deed was done. Clio was given the best of rights that they could hope for at this point. Surrounded by and covered with branches with a bouquet. In a disturbed sense it could be said to be a beautiful sight, but James knew that wasn't going to last. In a few hours, rigor mortis would set in and the insects would come, feeding themselves on the wounds. Just one look over at Jeanette told him that. Even so, James wasn't going to ruin it for Sophie. On her own she was trying to make it up for all of this. It's why he stood by as she worked, he didn't know how to respect Clio's memory or give her something resembling dignity. He was the reason she was dead after all.

The whole place was quiet as she worked, neither seemed to dare make a noise. Whether to not have any more unwanted visitors or just the moment alone, James couldn't say. Even when Sophie stood up and prayed, it was quiet. He followed her lead and prayed. He prayed for Clio. He prayed for Sophie and finally, he prayed for himself. The only people right now he cared about. The rest were off fighting, dying, hiding or god knows what. And James sure as shit wasn't going to pray for them. For all he knew, they were his enemies.

Sophie turned and asked him something. How did he feel? James honestly didn't know. There was no feeling of triumph, of being alive. By being closer to the end, maybe even getting to a point where could feasibly say he'd get to go home, but not even that made him feel better.

"How am I doing? I don't know...empty? It doesn't feel right, standing here." He stared upwards into the sky past the dense trees and faintly saw some birds fly by, there had been moments when James wished he could fly, when he was younger he liked to run around and pretend he could. He would dream about it, floating above his town and swooping and hollering as he soared through the air. That wish was now at its highest.

He looked downwards again, back at the girl who he owed his life. "What about you? What are you going to do?"
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Me?" Sophie asked James in response to his question.

She glanced downwards, her gaze drifting towards the bouquet in Clio's hands. What was she supposed to do now? She killed two people in four days, and even paying respect to them post-mortem didn't make her feel any better. There wasn't any sign of this game ending any time soon, so how was she supposed to go about the rest of her time here.

Sophie shook her head.

"I don't know..." she said.

She cupped her hand over her mouth.

"I mean...everyone I've met so far has wanted to kill me or wanted to leave. Everyone who keeps committing murder here is being hunted down, and I know they'll definitely come for me now that I've killed again. I didn't want to kill, but I don't want to die either. I just... I don't know what I'm supposed to do."
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

James stood by and listened to her little speech. It was clear to him Sophie wasn't in a much better spot than him, arguably it was worse. with Clio's blood on her hands, people are sure to gun for her. Wannabe heroes and players alike. Self righteous people like Theo, who wouldn't have understood what had happened unless you'd showed him a PowerPoint presentation, step by step. He still believed that he could hold on to it? The old times from home, but James had seen firsthand now that wasn't going to happen. You either change or die, or die changing. Either or really.

And with those righteous hunters and murderers looking to take off competition. Maybe that meant he could convince her of his service. Travelling alone now would be suicide and he still had the gun.

As she finished speaking, James saw his chance. It was now or never.

“Uh, I’m not the best at this, as you can probably tell.” He sighed and rubbed the back of his head, looking away. “Look. I don’t have a plan myself. I had one and then it got fucked, but I can tell you one thing.” He looked right at her for this, he had to get it right. "Just live. You don’t need a plan. Living is enough.”

“And I know this is gonna sound weird but..." He swallowed as he formed the words in his head. Make it sound somewhat good at least "We’re both alone. But we don’t have to be. You saved my life from Clio so I um, want to help. You can trust me.” He tried to give her a comforting smile, lord knows how loony he looked trying to form an alliance with her after she killed his ex.
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"...What?"

Sophie looked over to James in shock from his last statement. He trusted her? He wanted to be with her? She couldn't believe it. After four days of people trying to kill her, distrusting her, and viewing her as a monster, someone actually wanted to believe her and stay with her?

Sophie couldn't help but feel overwhelmed. Maybe James was right. Maybe she just needed to go through the game trying to stay alive and not worry about a plan. James trusted her, so maybe that was all she needed.

She nodded.

"Okay," she said, cracking a small smile. "We can do that. We can go somewhere else together."

She sniffled and wiped some tears from her eyes.

"Um...thanks, by the way."
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

James had done it. He had finally done it. It just took four days if wandering aimlessly with a haphazard goal, attempts on his life by people he trusted and getting his bag stolen, but hey! He's got an ally now. And she's in the same boat he's in. Right now neither got anybody else to trust. They knew what happened here.

It felt like a moment of triumph for him, something he'd been trying to do from the moment he woke up on this godforsaken place. It should have been, at least till his eyes wandered over to what caused this alliance to happen and it was gone. Just like that.

He got what he wanted and yet... it all felt empty.

This was a bad place despite Sophie's efforts and if anyone came here….

"Th-that's good. C-can we get out of here before people show up?" He tried not to show the emotion in his voice, but he felt it waver in it's conviction.
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2
ZP4 Zoe Walker
Espional:
Pregame:
1-2-3-4-5-6
Adoption:
Resort:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
[+] TV3
Seth Dunn
Memories
1-2
Sandbox

Leonard "Leo" Kenter
Memories
Sandbox
[+] SC2
B15 James Mulzet
1-2-3-4-5
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie nodded.

"Yeah, let's leave," she told James.

She looked down at Clio once more. It was weird. The girl who had held her hostage for a full day was finally gone, but even though Clio had been angry and unstable, Sophie was finding it hard to be mad at her. Maybe that was a side effect of dressing her corpse, but Sophie couldn't feel anything but pity for her.

"Sorry, Clio," she muttered under her breath.

She also took one last look at Jeanette's body. It was hard to revisit Jeanette's grave site and to kill a friend of hers near it, but Sophie was at least glad she could come back. She wasn't sure she would come back again. Something told her the area she was in had a bad aura that seemed to result in death, so maybe it was best to stay away from this area. After all, some graveyards and burial sites are said to be sacred land in some cultures, and certain activities are dissuaded in fear of retribution from ghosts or otherworldy beings.

"Let's go," she said to James.

Sophie started walking, her bag on one shoulder and the sledgehammer in her hand. She had no idea where to go from here, but maybe leaving some cursed soil would help. After all, she finally had a friend here.

((Sophie McDowell continued elsewhere))
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Ohm

Post by Ohm »

He felt elated when Sophie answered him with a yes. They'd leave and hopefully never come back to this horrible place.

She started moving after having a final look and words to her friends. It could be the last time she would able to. You never knew with how these bastards and their zones worked. It could be the next day for all they knew.

Before leaving, for a second James thought to have some last words to her. Parting words, regrets, pleas, what ever the fuck he'd think of. But it never came, he didn't have anything for her. He turned and walked away without a word, grenade launcher in one hand with his bag hung from his shoulder and the machete he'd plied away from her cold fingers, with his blood still on it. He'd have to clean that later.

[[James Mulzet continued in I Hope You Find Your Peace on Your Knees)
[+] Program
Prologue V3
M11 Jason Rosser
Before:
Penisula:
1-2-3-4
M24 Derrick Thomson
Penisula:
1-2-3-4-5
After:
1-2
[+] TV2