'Cause We Are Young and We Are Sick

These bubbling, oozing black pools found on the island's north-eastern side have a sinister appearance. Largely avoided by the miners, the tar pits are found in a grassy expanse of land with a few signs posted containing warnings; over the years, sunlight and rain has worn and corroded some of these signs almost but not quite to the point of unreadability.The biggest pits are obvious at a glance, but smaller patches or tar sometimes burst through the surface unexpectedly, and a number are hidden beneath underbrush. What cannot be mistaken, however, is the strong odor of tar which permeates the whole area.
KamiKaze
Team Affiliation: Jewel's Leviathans

Post by KamiKaze »

Miranda shook her head.

“No… no…”

Maybe you should trust him. Again, he offered to help. They let you sleep the entire night, and they didn’t do anything. He knew you were hurt, too, and that you couldn’t fight back as well. Maybe you could.

Could you?

“Can you... “ she started hesitantly. But she continued more firmly, spitting a bit.

“What’s a good reason?”

Again, he offered to help. But I’m still not sure.

Her grip tightened. She knew that if she made the wrong choice… she might have to use it. She knew that for a fact.
backslash
Team Affiliation: Shiva's Sirens

Post by backslash »

"A good reason? A good reason is that I'm not an idiot or a psychopath, Miranda!" Sebastien ran his hands through his hair, struggling to keep his frustration in check.

"That's it. That's the best reason I have. I'm not planning on shooting somebody for no reason because I'm not fucking dumb, okay? What about you, huh?"

He took a deep breath. Maybe that was too far. On the other hand, Miranda was being almost infuriatingly stubborn, to the point of being dense.

"Stealing shit and waving guns around isn't going to help anyone. You know that. That's not a difficult concept, right?"
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Something in her snapped.

It was bad enough that she was considering shooting Kasumi, making sure she didn’t suffer as much. It was bad enough she was debating to herself whether it was right to give Sebastien the gun. It was bad enough her arms were shaking. It was bad enough she was here.

But he had to insult her. Call her an idiot, a psychopath.

She felt that something snap, and she lifted the gun. She didn’t think. Maybe it was nerves, maybe she was angry. But she knew what happened. Her heart pounded faster, she felt her body grow warm and more tense. But it happened, all right.

Miranda felt the recoil, and heard the crack.
backslash
Team Affiliation: Shiva's Sirens

Post by backslash »

Sebastien had no time to react.

That was the running theme of the past few days.

No time to come to terms with where they were, no time to grieve, no time to help themselves, much less anyone else. If he had been of a more literary mind, Sebastien might have been able to come up with a poetic way to put all of it, but as it was, he didn't have time for that either. The last few grains of sand in his hourglass were running out.

That's a bit poetic after all, huh?

In the end, all Sebastien really had was a nagging sense of déjà vu, and just enough time to regret his words as he found himself staring down the barrel of the gun before Miranda pulled the trigger.

B01 SEBASTIEN BELLAMY: DECEASED
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

((Scarlett McAfee continued from Wendy Fischer Want Pants, Too!))

Scarlett seemed to be becoming used to the idea of having friends who were murderers a lot better than she thought she would. She didn't know why. Maybe it really was becoming more impossible for all of them to not kill each other. For all she knew Bunny could be laying dead in a pool of her own blood because of Scarlett. She had no way of knowing without trying to search for Bunny. But she wasn't going to do that without helping Wendy and finding Michael first.

So they had managed to find the way to the tar pits. Scarlett honestly did not like the look of the place. She shivered as she glanced down at the tar. She did not want to touch it at all.

"Hey, Wendy, do you know where Kasumi-"

Scarlett paused as she noticed some people a bit farther away from the two of them. Was that Sebastian and that girl? Kitty...? She never thought that she would see them again.

She then noticed the girl pointing a gun at Sebastien and she inhaled out of shock and fear. No, no, no! Not again!!

"Sebastian--!!"

She then let out an exhale as the girl - Miranda - shot him like he was nothing. She just watched someone die in front of her. Again!

"....Too late...." She let out a angry sob and her hand holding the gun was shaking badly. "Why? Why is this happening to us, Wendy? This isn't fair.... It's not fair!"
Cake

Post by Cake »

[[Wendy Fischer Continued From: Wendy Fischer Want Pants, Too!]]

"There, there."

Wendy seamlessly pulled the slightly smaller and distressed Scarlett into a tender embrace, small gentle rubs on the shoulder and strokes to the cheek, with tiny bits of pleasantly honeyed "it's ok, it'll be alright" in between. A troubled smile and kiss to the forehead.

"Of course it isn't fair. But we can make it fair," Wendy said as she loosened the embrace, stepping back, leaving her two open palms rested on the sobbing girl's upper arms, her own eyes glinting as she concentrated deeply into Scarlett's.

"Miranda. She's just like Bunny."

Like K.K. Like Victor Danya. Like any other lead man-ripper. They had the intimidation. The power to do what they wanted.

"They need to be stopped or they'll keep on winning, Scarlett." Wendy's voice hushed as her lips moved near Scarlett's ear in whispers. "Or else, the same thing will keep on happening. Like with Everett. Or like what we just saw happen. To you, me or anyone else — Your friends."

Where were Wendy's own friends anyway. Were they all gone by now. Along with Miranda and the dead Sebastian, there was another. A Kitty. Where were they hiding her. Where was Kasumi? They better not have touched, her precious, porcelain Kasumi.

"I don't think I can let that happen anymore." Wendy backed away, dropping her focused touch and softly patting the Scarlett Warrior's Raging Judge holding hand. A twinkle in the eye, a tone as sweet as could be. Time to hit the gavel.

"Can you?"
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Before Miranda could process it, before she could do anything else, Sebastien fell to the ground. In those few seconds, she saw his face. Or, to be more specific, what was left of it. His forehead and nose bridge had been reduced to a slurry of blood and bone, his eyes wide open. Miranda lowered the gun. She heard her heart in her ears.

She knew she’d have to kill someone at some point. She knew that it was something to be expected, that she’d have to make a decision like this. Hell, she was planning on killing someone else a few seconds ago. But this… it was different from what she expected.

Her eyes flicked to Kitty for a moment. And, she let the gun raise again. She wasn’t sure what Kitty was going to do now. Miranda wasn’t sure what she was going to do now.

Maybe run away. Maybe go far from here.

But then she heard it. A sob from elsewhere. Eyes darting, she looked. More people. More people to see this. Great, it was only going to get better.

Keep both hands on the gun. Deal with the emotions later. You did something, and people saw. Breathe, breathe.

“Don’t move,” she said, before swallowing some saliva in her otherwise dry mouth. “Don’t get closer.”
MethodicalSlacker

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

"Ah."

Kitty continued to stare at Kasumi as she thrashed around. Started to mumble, too. Kitty tilted her head, and crossed her legs. She traced the paths of stars with her limbs, swinging about all around, points isolated on the tips of her fingers. It felt like something was tingling on the edges of Kitty's fingers, too. An urge to reach out? Maybe to hold Kasumi down?

She did not move. She did not stir. Not a squeak of surprise echoed out from her mouth when Kasumi no longer moved either.

"See what happens?"

...what?

"Do you see what happens now, when you don't listen?"

Listen? You weren't saying anything.

"I was screaming, Kitty. I never stopped screaming, all those years. I was a prisoner of your own mind. My jail cell was the confines of your skull. You only heard me when I began to whisper. When I lowered my voice.

See what happens? To either of us, without the other?"

I'm not sure I understand.

"Then you aren't looking."

Kasumi's body isn't the only one on the ground now.

She turns.

She can not bring herself to stare.

She stares for a long, long time.

Then, she turns towards Miranda.

Her mouth opens softly.

"Why?"

But, as far as Kitty can tell, Miranda isn't listening. Her eyes and her gun are pointed towards other voices in the distance. A serpent, living inside her veins, weaves its way around Kitty's throat, her arms, her legs, and starts to tighten. Her heart beats like a war drum, everything screaming at her to jump at Miranda and tackle her to the ground, throw her in the tar, take her gun and shoot her, shoot herself, shoot anybody, but the serpent winding its way through her body pins her to the ground. Every breath takes more effort to fight against the coils of scaly nothingness wrapped around her lungs.

The choice isn't whether or not to lunge at Miranda. It's what to take with her when she finally shakes off the snake and runs.

His bags,

"or his body?"
Eaten By The Worms || And Weird Fishes
[+] SOTF TV3
Jodi Hunter: Trying not to cause any ripples in the water. Pregame-1, Pregame-2, Flotilla-1, Flotilla-2, Flotilla-3, Flotilla-4, Flotilla-5
Mariko Whitney: Ready to roll the dice. Pregame-1, Flotilla-1, Flotilla-2⁸, Flotilla-3,
Flotilla-4

⁸SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST TTRPG V0.5 CHARACTER SHEET

Name: Mariko Whitney, the Marquise of Whimsy
Team: Jewel's Leviathans
Level: 3
Odds: Midgame
Role: Undeclared
Bucket List:
Observe as much gameplay as possible. Take notes on gameplay. Encourage specific gameplay scenarios.
Escape alive and intact.
EXP: 75/100

Rogue's Gallery (Stat-Sheet):
Guts: 7 (-2)
- Brawling
- Construction
- Athletics
Pluck: 12 (+1)
- Acrobatics (Proficiency Bonus +1)
- Subterfuge
- Firearms
Iron: 13 (+2)
- Pain Threshold
- Evasive Maneuvers
- Resist Fatigue
Moxie: 8 (-1)
- Conversation
- Performance (Proficiency Bonus +1) [Topic Bonus: Tap-Dancing]
- Team Spirit
Wiles: 12 (+1)
- Deception
- Persuasion
- Intimidation
Placidity: 10 (+/- 0)
- Reaction Speed
- Willpower
- Fight-or-Flight
Brains: 14 (+2)
- Tactics
- Investigation
- Encyclopedia (Topic Bonuses: Tabletop Games +2, Fantasy and Science-Fiction Novels +2, Survival of the Fittest +1)
Sleuthing: 11 (+/- 0)
- Survivalism
- Insight
- Etiquette
Luck: 18 (+4)
Perception: 10 (+/- 0)

Health Points:
Total: 80/80 (8d8 from Limb Total)
Head: 8/8 (1d8)
Torso: 8/8 (1d8)
Left Arm: 8/8 (1d8)
Right Arm: 8/8 [Bandaged] (1d8)
Left Leg: 8/8 (1d8)
Right Leg: 8/8 (1d8)
Mental: 6/8 (1d8) [Wounded I]
Social: 7/8 (1d8)
Blood: 800/800
Afflictions: [None]
Hunger: 7/8
Thirst: 4/8
Stress Counter: [8888888888888888] Unlucky Br8ak!!!!!!!!

Armor Points: 3
Head Armor: Top Hat (+1)
Torso Armor: Black Leviathans Tank-Top (+1)
Left Arm: Team Bandana (+0)
Left Gauntlet: Black Glove
Right Gauntlet: Black and Red-Flecked Glove
Leg Armor: Blue Denim Jeans (+1)
Footwear: Sneakers (+0)

Magic:

Spell List:
-
-
-
-
MP: 0/0 [Who are you kidding, Magic Is Fake As Shit!!!!!!!!!]

Duffel Bag:
- Rations:
- Saki Ika Dried Squid (0.25/1)
- Seaweed Snacks (2/3)
- Tuna Sandwich (1/1)
- Bread (2 Loaves/2)
- Oyster Crackers (1.75/2)
- Drinking Water (2.5/4)
- Life Savers (2/2)
- Gatorade (1.75/2)
- Rum Shot (0/1)

- Arena Map
- Sextant
- Flashlight w/ Batteries
- Condom (1/1)
- First Aid Kit (Opened, minus three bandages and some gauze tape):
- "No More Mr. Dice Guy" Graphic Tee
- Red Mohegan Sun T-Shirt
- Black Track Pants
- Black Two-Piece Bikini
- Tap-Dancer's Outfit: One sleeveless faux-leather jacket, black high-waisted dancing shorts, tights, and one pair of tap-dancing shoes.
- Black Leviathans Towel

Hands:
- Greener Harpoon Gun {48 .38 Caliber Blanks, Four Rope Lines, and Three Heads Remaining}
Pockets:
- n/a

Bio: [See Profile]
Skills:
Light Footwork
+1 to Evasion rolls on actions making use of legs.
Heavy Focus
Option to defer a turn on Sleuth rolls in exchange for a +2 bonus.
Burdens:
Weak Arms
-1 to Guts rolls involving arms.
Vile Tongue
Every eight instances of dialogue (back-and-forth talking with other players/NPCs), roll 1d8. Mariko makes an offhand comment with rudeness inversely proportional to the absolute value of the number rolled—
8. Uneasy Compliment
7. Ambiguous Statement
6. Playful Jab
5. Backhanded Serve
4. Ego Bruise
3. Insult on top of Injury
2. Salt their Wounds
1. Salt the Earth

Wound:

Hedgehog's Dilemma: -1 to skill checks made for social interactions.

Teammates:
Seth...

Allies:
Kamille

Enemies:
Gabriela, Seo-Yun

????:
Leslie, Ivan, Mandy

[+] Program V3 Prologue
Image - Cybil Price: "I've been waiting for this." Anouncement Day, Arena-1, Arena-2, Arena-3, Arena-4, The Rescue, After-1, After-2
[+] Second Chances V2
Image - Katie 'Kitty' Gittschall: "I'm guessing that you want to win, right?" Memory-1, Pregame-1, Island-1, Island-2, Island-3, Island-4, Island-5, Island-6, Island-7, Island-8, Island-9.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Scarlett knew that Wendy's words were true. That Miranda was just like Bunny. Just people who didn't care who they killed as long as they were the ones that would make it back home. Home.... To what exactly? She didn't think that things would ever be the same again.

She noticed that near Sebastien's body was another body. Was that the girl that Wendy wanted to help? Was that Kasumi? If so then she had failed to help someone else. Again....

"Wendy...? Is that Kasumi...?" She asked quietly in a sad-sounding tone of voice.

She then saw that the girl was now raising the gun towards Kitty. Kitty! She couldn't let her die too. She had to do something! She had to scare the girl -Miranda - off. She had had enough of seeing people dying in front of her.

She raised her own gun and aimed it right at Miranda, letting out a small, frustrated sigh. "Alright, I'm not moving." She told the girl in a calm, patient tone. "How about you lower that weapon? I really have had enough of seeing people getting shot. And if you even think of shooting Kitty, then I have no problem with taking you out, murderer."
Cake

Post by Cake »

Yes. It was her. Laying there just like she had left her.

But what was this? Scarlett was giving these girls a chance to do something after what they did? Turning Sebastian into another blood splattered copy of their teacher. Having done who knows what to her new friend. She was the judge. Why not pass the sentence now before it was too late?

"We're here for my friend, Kasumi," Wendy called back holding her cooler with unassuming body language at her waist like a picnic basket. Like her picnic with Kasumi.

Kasumi was at risk. Scarlett needed to know how awful Miranda was. She would show her.

"But you killed Scarlett's friend. Why would you do it? He didn't throw any...."

Wendy raised her head and made direct eye contact with Miranda, lifting her brow with a barely noticable smirk.

"... Apple Sauce at you or something?"

She flashed a quick-second smile, right behind Scarlett.

"Did he?"
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Miranda felt herself glower, and growled under her breath.

Great, they were still here. Well, she did say “don’t move.” Maybe “leave” would have been better. Maybe. She had no idea. Just that Scarlett was pointing a gun too. Everything was falling apart. Maybe she should have left when she got the chance. Maybe she should have gave the gun back, maybe she should have not fired.

Miranda swallowed again, her hands still shaking. She had to get out of here, she had to survive, leave, do something. She knew she was outnumbered, she knew they had reason to shoot, and she knew that they had the means to do so.

Scarlett’s voice seemed low, and honestly, Miranda would have lowered the gun. But Wendy spoke up. Boy, did she ever. They were here for Kasumi, but...

Miranda’s heart sped up even faster, something she realized wasn’t even possible.

“Excuse me?” she said, her hands shaking even more.

Once again, no thinking. She just pointed the gun with both hands in their direction, and felt recoil.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Scarlett felt herself instantly move to the side as the bullet whizzed by her head, missing her ear by a few inches. She was careful not to fall into any of the tar around her and she continued to move.

"WENDY! KITTY! RUN!!"

Scarlett's hands were shaky as she aimed the gun towards Miranda and she fired off two shots. Hoping and praying that Wendy and Kitty would move away from the scene. She hoped that her distraction was enough to save them both.

Scarlett then ran off in a different direction from them, hoping that Miranda's focus was still on her.

((Scarlett McAfee continued elsewhere))
MethodicalSlacker

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

Kitty had made her decision. She had already started dragging the heavy weight away from Miranda slowly, inching towards some other safe place, listening to the taunting words shouted from the distance, when the first shot was fired. Flinching at the noise, Kitty tried to bring herself away, further and faster, kicking at dirt, still unable to stand, finding her limbs to be weak and unwieldy, unfit for carrying anything, least of all what it was that she held so tightly now.

Gunfire, now from the opposite direction. Instinctively, she ducked down, letting go. Her face pressed up into a patch of grass, she waited several moments for whatever was happening to be over with already. If they were going to kill her, then they might as well get it over with already.

Glancing up, Kitty could see some movement in the distance.

Not wanting to linger, she hooked her arms under Seb's, and kept on shuffling. If she could get somewhere, anywhere, so long as she could leave Seb and know that his body would be safe...

This is what happens, Seb.

This is what happens when you run your life like a goddamn charity, Seb.
Eaten By The Worms || And Weird Fishes
[+] SOTF TV3
Jodi Hunter: Trying not to cause any ripples in the water. Pregame-1, Pregame-2, Flotilla-1, Flotilla-2, Flotilla-3, Flotilla-4, Flotilla-5
Mariko Whitney: Ready to roll the dice. Pregame-1, Flotilla-1, Flotilla-2⁸, Flotilla-3,
Flotilla-4

⁸SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST TTRPG V0.5 CHARACTER SHEET

Name: Mariko Whitney, the Marquise of Whimsy
Team: Jewel's Leviathans
Level: 3
Odds: Midgame
Role: Undeclared
Bucket List:
Observe as much gameplay as possible. Take notes on gameplay. Encourage specific gameplay scenarios.
Escape alive and intact.
EXP: 75/100

Rogue's Gallery (Stat-Sheet):
Guts: 7 (-2)
- Brawling
- Construction
- Athletics
Pluck: 12 (+1)
- Acrobatics (Proficiency Bonus +1)
- Subterfuge
- Firearms
Iron: 13 (+2)
- Pain Threshold
- Evasive Maneuvers
- Resist Fatigue
Moxie: 8 (-1)
- Conversation
- Performance (Proficiency Bonus +1) [Topic Bonus: Tap-Dancing]
- Team Spirit
Wiles: 12 (+1)
- Deception
- Persuasion
- Intimidation
Placidity: 10 (+/- 0)
- Reaction Speed
- Willpower
- Fight-or-Flight
Brains: 14 (+2)
- Tactics
- Investigation
- Encyclopedia (Topic Bonuses: Tabletop Games +2, Fantasy and Science-Fiction Novels +2, Survival of the Fittest +1)
Sleuthing: 11 (+/- 0)
- Survivalism
- Insight
- Etiquette
Luck: 18 (+4)
Perception: 10 (+/- 0)

Health Points:
Total: 80/80 (8d8 from Limb Total)
Head: 8/8 (1d8)
Torso: 8/8 (1d8)
Left Arm: 8/8 (1d8)
Right Arm: 8/8 [Bandaged] (1d8)
Left Leg: 8/8 (1d8)
Right Leg: 8/8 (1d8)
Mental: 6/8 (1d8) [Wounded I]
Social: 7/8 (1d8)
Blood: 800/800
Afflictions: [None]
Hunger: 7/8
Thirst: 4/8
Stress Counter: [8888888888888888] Unlucky Br8ak!!!!!!!!

Armor Points: 3
Head Armor: Top Hat (+1)
Torso Armor: Black Leviathans Tank-Top (+1)
Left Arm: Team Bandana (+0)
Left Gauntlet: Black Glove
Right Gauntlet: Black and Red-Flecked Glove
Leg Armor: Blue Denim Jeans (+1)
Footwear: Sneakers (+0)

Magic:

Spell List:
-
-
-
-
MP: 0/0 [Who are you kidding, Magic Is Fake As Shit!!!!!!!!!]

Duffel Bag:
- Rations:
- Saki Ika Dried Squid (0.25/1)
- Seaweed Snacks (2/3)
- Tuna Sandwich (1/1)
- Bread (2 Loaves/2)
- Oyster Crackers (1.75/2)
- Drinking Water (2.5/4)
- Life Savers (2/2)
- Gatorade (1.75/2)
- Rum Shot (0/1)

- Arena Map
- Sextant
- Flashlight w/ Batteries
- Condom (1/1)
- First Aid Kit (Opened, minus three bandages and some gauze tape):
- "No More Mr. Dice Guy" Graphic Tee
- Red Mohegan Sun T-Shirt
- Black Track Pants
- Black Two-Piece Bikini
- Tap-Dancer's Outfit: One sleeveless faux-leather jacket, black high-waisted dancing shorts, tights, and one pair of tap-dancing shoes.
- Black Leviathans Towel

Hands:
- Greener Harpoon Gun {48 .38 Caliber Blanks, Four Rope Lines, and Three Heads Remaining}
Pockets:
- n/a

Bio: [See Profile]
Skills:
Light Footwork
+1 to Evasion rolls on actions making use of legs.
Heavy Focus
Option to defer a turn on Sleuth rolls in exchange for a +2 bonus.
Burdens:
Weak Arms
-1 to Guts rolls involving arms.
Vile Tongue
Every eight instances of dialogue (back-and-forth talking with other players/NPCs), roll 1d8. Mariko makes an offhand comment with rudeness inversely proportional to the absolute value of the number rolled—
8. Uneasy Compliment
7. Ambiguous Statement
6. Playful Jab
5. Backhanded Serve
4. Ego Bruise
3. Insult on top of Injury
2. Salt their Wounds
1. Salt the Earth

Wound:

Hedgehog's Dilemma: -1 to skill checks made for social interactions.

Teammates:
Seth...

Allies:
Kamille

Enemies:
Gabriela, Seo-Yun

????:
Leslie, Ivan, Mandy

[+] Program V3 Prologue
Image - Cybil Price: "I've been waiting for this." Anouncement Day, Arena-1, Arena-2, Arena-3, Arena-4, The Rescue, After-1, After-2
[+] Second Chances V2
Image - Katie 'Kitty' Gittschall: "I'm guessing that you want to win, right?" Memory-1, Pregame-1, Island-1, Island-2, Island-3, Island-4, Island-5, Island-6, Island-7, Island-8, Island-9.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Smoke from the gun emitted around them, almost matching the panic in consistency. Miranda’s hands continued shaking. But she saw Scarlett dart, and lift a gun of her own-

Her gun cracked twice.

Miranda jumped back, feeling her stomach drop with each bark of the gun. She wasn’t hurt, was she? They were trying to shoot back, and-

No. It was better to count her losses. She was outnumbered, and she wasn’t sure what Wendy had weapon-wise. For some reason she was carrying around a cooler, but hell, that could mean anything. Scarlett definitely had a gun. She let her eyes flick towards Kitty. She was grabbing… grabbing Sebastien.

She had to get out of here.

Another flick of the eyes. Her bag wasn’t far off, distinguished by the tire iron sticking out. On cue, her body flung itself towards it, slinging the strap over her shoulder. There was another bag nearby. Seb’s? She didn’t think. It just popped into her head. But she grabbed it too.

Then, with both bags hitting her back, she started running the opposite way.

((Miranda Millers continued elsewhere))
Cake

Post by Cake »

Wendy had stood where she had been. When the bullets had soared. When the others had scattered. Now the smoke was cleared.

One step, another. Silence in contrast to chaos mere minutes earlier. Serenity and grace in her stroll. Bubbling tar pops to the left and right. A compact blue cooler held with two hands at the waist line where the matching fuzzy blue sweater was wrapped. Flower petals overflowing, poking out from the crack between the cooling body and lid. There she was.

"Kasumi," Wendy whispered, as she gently put aside the cooler, squatted and leaned forward to her new friend's ear. She was here now. They were gone. The girl would be okay.

Hand to her shoulder, a soft nudge, a few more.

Pallid. Unresponsive. Cold.

Panic. Neck wrenching her head in circles or arcs, scanning every-which way, her eyes spinning in similar fashion as her breath picked up. Not unlike the stilted twitch her right eye made during the thousand yard stare when Scarlett had scurried off elsewhere in a separate direction, leaving her - them - here.

Abandoned.

How could she. She promised. Trusted her too.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't find real, honest, help for you." Wendy brushed Kasumi's hair out of the way, kneeling in the grass, stroking at the skin, before resting the back of her hand on the forehead.

Heat rose in Wendy's circulatory system. She knew who was responsible for this. How obvious it was. They could have stopped the two perpetrators right then and there, but they didn't. A clear opportunity to act first, was squandered due to giving Miranda a chance. Scarlett was a nice person, but turns out she was no warrior. She had the power, but didn't use it. Clearly wasn't suited with the backbone for it. She liked Scarlett, too bad it wasn't mutual.

There was a sound, movement in grass a few meters away and Wendy immediately stood, with a stare unflinching, head tilted, watching the Kitty, pull aside the boy with half a head.

Curious, very curious: Not that it mattered, but why not follow her accomplice?

Behind Kitty was another curious sight. Doc Marten boots still floated at the surface section of a tar pit nearest to the old wooden sign. Fond memory there. Quietly, Wendy's hand traveled to her ankle and rubbed at the solid lining in her own Ugg boots. More memories to come.

"Hey there," Wendy called out. "Would you help me with my friend please?"

Return to “The Tar Pits”