Ammonification

Open, until I disappear for two weeks after this Sunday. Everett (and Kermit's) first and probably only pre-game thread.

P.J. Hobbs Senior High School is a public school located in central Denton, New Jersey. Known for its excellent sports programs, P.J. Hobbs is also no slouch when it comes to academics. While a secular public school, the school is located in a neighborhood with a predominantly Catholic population, and these demographics show in the composition of the staff. Students of other (or no) faith are treated with fairness and respect, but often with a degree of minor bafflement.
Kermit

Ammonification

Post by Kermit »

(wow look it's kermit's first actual rp post ever. Sorry for short, wanted to get something out before I leave and pregame closes.)

Everett had a biology test in three days.

Now, usually, this wouldn’t be that much of a problem, what with Everett’s obsessive studying habits, but unfortunately for Everett, this was a test mainly focused on the different cycles of matter. Thus, Everett was here in the library, spending his lunch reading over every minute detail his textbook had about the nitrogen cycle instead of, well, actually eating lunch.

Everett loathed this unit. A lot of biology tended to be easy-ish, hinging on a lot of stuff he’d already picked up in his past ventures, but this?

This was the worst.

Matter cycles were just entirely memorization of information mostly unfamiliar to Everett. If this were any other unit, Everett would’ve been comfortable with just using the after-school free time he had to study, but he absolutely had to do well on this test. Anything lower than a 90% would be a complete and utter failure, and failure would be unacceptable.

Everett’s eyes traced over the image on the page, a diagram displaying every facet of the nitrogen cycle, for what felt like the hundredth time.

Hey, look on the bright side. At this rate, you might be able to actually lose some weight, you fat shi-No! I don’t need your bullshit right now, brain-What are you even working towards, it not like any of thi-

Of course, Everett knew it was ridiculous to have a mental argument with himself, but at this point, he was beyond caring. Everett just stared blankly at the page, having once again fallen into the deep pit of self-loathing.
[+] Characters or something
[+] Everett Taylor
Everett Taylor (SC2) -- Baby Kermit's first SOTF character

THREADS!

PREGAME: Baby Kermit makes an unnecessary OOC note

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange
Harland Strange (PV2.5) -- The kind of guy who lives in a well.

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset
Luanne Grasset (TV3) -- Untitled (Your Cast), Barbara Kruger, 2016

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar
Astrid Millar (Supers), Gift: Goth Eyes -- (Seen and Not Seen)

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nothing. This is nowhere. We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nowhere. There is no one here.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Cake

Post by Cake »

[[Pregame Start: Wendy Fischer - Commence]]

Ok it was time to study again. Instead of eating lunch again. She sure missed eating lunch with her friends and the company of people in the large social hub of the school's cafeteria, but this was important. She had tests coming up and people were already making jokes at Wendy's expense or being extremely patronizing within hearing distance again.

Why, why were people so mean? She had gone along for years not realizing until late junior year that people had been referring to her as 'the dumb blonde' or 'that ditzy cheerleader', apparently for years. She had the misfortune to gain this reputation and it was so not fair. She tried, she really did, she just wasn't particularly good at academics. It was just so hard, when she was not at all interested in the subject material, but she really wanted to do well and she would with some occasional help.

She thought she'd get some semblance of respect toward her, but instead would hear: "How cute" or "she's just like Elle Woods" they would say. What the heck? Elwood was her father's name; why were they comparing her to her dad? How did some of her classmates even know her dad? Did that many people really go to the restaurant where he was head chef? Oh never-mind, she was here to study. It was time for some basic algebra!

So here she was again, walking into the library once more, with her fluffy book bag.

As she passed by the center tables of the library she noticed the large boy, sitting, staring ahead at his book. It wasn't until she approached due to sheer curiosity that she realized he was zoned out. She placed a hand on his shoulder.

"You okay there?"
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

A voice snapped Everett out of his trance. He looked up to face its source.

A girl, pretty and sporty-looking. Everett was certain he’d seen her around the school before, maybe part of a roving pack of cheerleaders or something like that. He wasn’t quite sure of her name, Nancy or Mandy or something similar.

“Uh, no, yeah. I’m okay.”

Everett mentally consternated himself for both wasting his study time and his bungled response, but mostly for the time wasting. If things kept up this way, he’d have to spend the time tonight he had set aside for volunteer work studying, and he certainly didn’t want to do that. Sure it probably wouldn’t matter that much in the end, but Everett dreaded having to explain to his parents that he was going to miss his self-imposed community service because he forgot to fucking study.

Everett’s eyes flicked down to the page and back up to the girl. She looked like one of those types that just coasted through high school because they had pretty faces and footballer boyfriends and rich dads who bought them like three fucking Bentleys, but little did she know she’d be fucked when or if she graduated.

Oh God, please don’t sit down. Please don't sit down.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[Baby Kermit uses unnecessary over-the-top formatting] -- [Baby Kermit kills a guy and then makes a melodramatic speech to the rest of the room] -- [Baby Kermit isn't very good at thread names] -- [Baby Kermit gets fucking murdered]
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[The thread that everybody was there for] -- [To be fair to Santiago, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.] -- [Harland has a Gamer moment] -- [Harland falls down] -- [Oops]
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

PREGAME: ["We took a tour of Universal Studios in Los Angeles and, inside and outside the place, it was very difficult to tell what was real. They're not-real people trying to say something. And we're real people not trying to say anything. I just like everybody and I believe in everything." - Andy Warhol]

MEMORIES: ["The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration." - Frida Kahlo]

FLOTILLA:
["Images are made palpable, ironed flat by technology and, in turn, dictate the seemingly real through the representative." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["You'd be surprised how many people want to hang an electric chair on their living-room wall. Specially if the background color matches the drapes." - Andy Warhol] -- ["In the end, glorification of splendid underdogs is nothing other than the glorification of the splendid system that makes them so." - Theodor Adorno] -- ["I think that art is still a site for resistance and for the telling of various stories, for validating certain subjectivities we normally overlook. I'm trying to be affective, to suggest changes, and to resist what I feel are the tyrannies of social life on a certain level." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent van Gogh] -- ["One eye sees, the other feels." - Paul Klee] -- ["I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work" because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." - Andy Warhol] -- ["I think that every so-called history book and film biography should be prefaced by the statement that what follows is the author's rendition of events and circumstances." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["I never think that people die. They just go to department stores." - Andy Warhol] -- ["From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity." - Edvard Munch] -- ["I think I developed language skills to deal with threat. It's the girl thing to do-you know, instead of pulling out a gun." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Since I was shot, everything is such a dream to me. Like I don't know whether I'm alive or whether I died. I wasn't afraid before. And having been dead once, I shouldn't feel fear. But I am afraid. I don't understand why." - Andy Warhol] -- ["'One to the other / Unos á otros' - Thus goes the world. We mock at and deceive each other. He who, yesterday, was the ball, is to-day the horseman in the ring. Fortune directs the feast, and distributes the parts according to the inconstancy of its caprice." - Francisco Goya] -- ["It's good to keep in mind that prominence is always a mix of hard work, eloquence in your practice, good timing and fortuitous social relations. Everything can't be personalized." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Art...has always been a polite form of terrorism." - Robert Boswell] -- ["I'm trying to deal with ideas about histories, fame, hearsay, and how public identities are constructed." - Barbara Kruger] -- ["Death means a lot of money, honey. Death can really make you look like a star." - Andy Warhol] -- ["Our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa." - Jules Michelet]

ARTWORK CREDITS (Warning: technically contains spoilers i guess if you haven't read Luanne)
[+] Astrid Millar

(TW: Astrid's story deals with themes of ableism, usually in a fairly implicit capacity.)

THREADS!

PREGAME: [STANDING ON THE SHORE, GETTING OLD. YOU LEFT ME HERE AMID THE VAPE CLOWNS.] -- [You could meet someone who’s lost like you.]

THE MUTE: ["There's a schematic for the whole Goths album between when and where I was in my youth, I mean some of them are stories but they all correlate to moments. I spent 9 months in Portland when I was 18, 19 years old and these were formative months because I was an absolute failure at living my life and I had friends who kept me alive and who saw through my hard veneer and who chose to be kind to me even though I was not worthy of their kindness, I was not. This is why when people tell me 'Hey John, you're a good guy', I say 'No, I've seen John in a lot of guises and I reject any claims to being a good guy, I see' and in Portland I had a community of people who accepted me exactly as I was and though I didn't know how to take their acceptance, and this song -- most of them are with god now -- and it's called 'Wear Black' ."]

THE COMPOUND:
[You could be anywhere on the black screen.] -- [Hand me your hand, let me look in your eyes, as my last chance to feel human begins to vaporize. Maybe it's the heat in here, maybe it's the pressure; you ought to head for the exits, the sooner the better.] -- [Don't you know people write songs about girls like you ?] -- [Tonya, you were the brightest. Yeah you rose from the ashes, and survived all the crashes, wiping the blood from your white tights.] -- [Never seen anything like that before, falling bodies tumble 'cross the floor.] -- [Take a look at these hands, you don't have to mention it. No thanks, I'm a government man.] -- [We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nothing. This is nowhere. We all, we all, we all, we all know this is nowhere. There is no one here.] -- [This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around. This ain't no Mudd Club, or C.B.G.B. I ain't got time for that now.] -- [Stay alive. Maybe spit blood at the camera. Just stay alive. Stay forever alive.] -- [And I run, and I run, and I run, and I run] -- [upon this tidal wave of, oh god oh god, young blood young blood young blood young blood -]

THE AFTERMATH:
[No one cares about the waves at the bottom of the ocean, and at the bottom of the ocean it's always blue. No one will remember 'cause nothing lasts forever, and everybody's looking for somebody to use.] -- [We are the ones who don't slow down at all, and there's nobody there to catch us when we fall.] -- [But I am just a broken machine, and I do things that I don't really mean.] -- [Come on in, we haven't slept for weeks. Drink some of this, this'll put color in your cheeks.] -- [No promise sweeter than a blood pact. Nothing harder to go through with than a vanishing act. No morning colder than the first frost. No friends closer than the ones we’ve lost. Nothing sharper than a serpent’s tooth. Nothing harder than the gospel truth. Though you repent and don sackcloth and try to make nice, you can’t cross the same river twice.] -- [???]
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Cake

Post by Cake »

Wendy pulled out a seat.

"Oh alright. Just checking. You look pretty tense."

She put her bag onto the large table. Started lowering herself to the chair, but stood back up again.

Silly Wendy, she had forgotten to introduce herself to this boy. She looked over to him trying to figure out if she recognized him or not. She did, there was no way she hadn't noticed the lumbering big boy around school, who always seemed to wear the same ensemble of white dress shirt tucked neatly into brown slacks, with tie. It was definitely distinguishable in a crowd, especially compared to all their other peers. He looked more like a businessman than a high school student, well a very nervous businessman at least. Quite the character, she figured. Most would probably consider him a weirdo, but Wendy found it strangely adorable. Too bad she didn't have him in any of her classes or else she'd probably have acquainted herself by now. He was probably in some of the Advanced Placement classes, she'd wager, based on his appearance alone.

As she stood up, Wendy flashed the pearly whites and gave a small, but over-exaggerated, lengthy hand-wave.

"I'm Wendy, by the way," she exclaimed cheerfully, inciting a few "shhhs" from the few others around them.

Wendy, gave a slightly embarrassed smile. She needed to learn to stop doing that in here. She stopped waving her hand and extended it toward the big guy for a handshake.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

The girl pulled out a seat.

Oh my God no

Now that she was sitting down, Everett lost all hope in spending the rest of lunch studying.The girl said he’d looked tense. Did he look tense? He hoped not.

“Thanks. I, uh, appreciate your concern.”

Now that Everett thought about it, the girl had to have had some reason for being here. She didn’t look like the kind of person who spent her lunches ruminating in the library because she had nothing better to do, she looked like the kind of person who spent her lunches gossipping up with the cheer squad. The bag she was carrying with her looked heavy, and vaguely book-shaped. Maybe she was here to study. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad.

The girl introduced herself, LOUDLY, eliciting glares and passive-aggressive shushes from the rest of the library. Everett did his best to hide a cringe. He took it back, this was pretty bad.

Apparently the girl’s name was Wendy. Everett was close-ish, he guessed. Everett really didn’t want to engage with the girl. Still, it’d be rude not to introduce himself.

“My name’s Everett. It’s nice to meet you, Wendy.”

Wendy reached out for a handshake, which Everett reciprocated. Two pumps and a firm grip, just like dad taught him. Handshakes were vital for first impressions, he had said. Give a dead-fish handshake, and everyone assumes you’re just there because you have no other choice.

Well, may as well find out why she's here.

“You here to study?”, Everett asked.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Cake

Post by Cake »

Oh, ow. What a vice-grip. Everett seemed like a nice guy, strong handshake, perhaps a little too strong.

Wendy wiggled her hand a little as soon as she was free, still smiling to be polite. She backed away and finally lowered herself onto her seat.

"Um, uh-yeah. I'm supposed to," she sighed, thinking about the headache she'd get when trying to study on her own.

She glanced back at the boy whilst twirling her left side braid. "You don't mind if I sit here, right?"
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Oh.

Okay.

So she wasn’t here to chat his ear off. Well, that was a relief, maybe Everett could actually get his studying over with.

Wendy asked if it was okay to sit down. Sure, ask that when you’re already sitting down, Everett bitterly thought. Still, she probably wouldn’t end up bothering Everett all that much, and it’d just be plain rude to decline.

Everett nodded his head. “Sure.”

Though, the girl seemed kind of...worried about studying. She was “supposed” to study? What was that supposed to mean? Was she being punished for bad grades or something? Whatever it was, she didn’t seem too enthusiastic about her schoolwork.

“If you need anything, I can probably help you out.” Everett offered, motioning his hand towards his textbook.
[+] Everett Taylor

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Harland Strange

THREADS!

ISLAND:
[+] Luanne Grasset

THREADS!

FLOTILLA:

[+] Astrid Millar

THREADS!

THE COMPOUND:

THE AFTERMATH:
[+] Yumiko Kusaka
im losing my edge
Cake

Post by Cake »

"Would you really?"

Wendy looked up with a grin. Still playing with one of her braids.

"I mean, if it's not any trouble, of course."

She stopped, unzipped her bag and pulled out the text book.

"I-I really appreciate it, Everett. I just wanna do better, at, at school stuff, but it's hard I'm just not smart enough, I guess. A lot of people say that and I dunno. I just don't want to prove them right, but it's hard on my own."

She tilted her head and smirked, eyes half way closed, lips tight.

"So how are you with math?"
Cake

Post by Cake »

And then he helped her study! What a nice guy.

Everett was pretty darn smart, knew a good amount of math and helped her get all the answers. Really useful.

The whole time she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched for some reason. Was she just being paranoid? Or Dumb? It was probably just the librarian.

The cafeteria bell rang and that was that, for this study session. She shook Everett's hand again and without thinking, pulled him into a hug, giving him a playful peck on the cheek.

"Thanks Everett," she proclaimed a little loudly again, waving, but who really cared, lunch-time was over anyway, all students were going to leave.

"Oh sorry," she said, bumping into a really tall boy, who had appeared from the bookshelves, before leaving.

Everett was nice, but she felt bad for taking him away from his own work. Oh well. He was probably already really smart anyway.

[[Wendy Fischer, Everett Taylor, Vincent Holway - continued to the SC2 Island Game]]

Return to “P.J. Hobbs Senior High School”